New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Prime) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

The Wake's spirit shaman enters the wardroom as well. Looking around, she takes in the faces of her fellow ship owners. Then she speaks up.

"We haven't had much time to discuss the murder of our capt'n in detail since that morning the passengers turned up. But there are, at last!, things I have found out."

Jhaida sighs. "What I can not offer is the solution of the mystery. But maybe my findings can help us to solve it together, now, or in the future."

Turning her gaze into the direction of Agarish's cabin, she continues. "I, too, wasn't able to find any trace of Agarish's spirit. It seems almost as if he disappeared in the moment of his death ... However, there were traces of other spirits that have been aboard lately; spirits that are not common to our ship ..."

Looking back at the others, she says: "I sought the advice of the klabauter of the Aryth's Wake. When I managed to coax her out of hiding, she told me that she had not witnessed the murder. But she helped me to discover certain things in the capt'n's cabin; things I intend to show to you now."

Jhaida pauses for a moment, apparently pondering how to continue.

"I would prefer not to have the cabin disturbed too much; maybe you should follow me in, but stay close to the door until I direct you to what I found. Do you agree? And does anyone have any questions in advance?"

Spoiler
    Show
    I've just assumed that Lanzo is present in the wardroom, too. Considering that I didn't manage to return early enough to post yesterday, as originally intended, I didn't want to keep you folks waiting any longer!
    Oh, come let me sing of
    Olothontor the Old.
    Music in thrall this lone
    wyrm doth hold.
    If you would live to see
    sunrise again,
    Sing long of love, and
    loss, and pain.
    Sing as you've never
    sung before,
    And alive you may be
    gently shown the door.

-- Stanza from Oh, Come, Let Me Sing, a Harper drinking ballad

2. - Top - End - #62
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Strongarm

The warforged made no movement save for tilting his head so that his eldritch eyes met Jhaida's.

"NONE"

It had been long enough. There had to be answers.
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

3. - Top - End - #63

Dan

The captain nods after Strongarm's comment, "It would be best not to waste time. Any clue could bring us closer to the answer."
    Avatar by Vulion. Vectored by me.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Orc in the Playground

Cooky:

"Just show us already." She mumbled to herself rapidly tapping her fingers against the table she was sitting at.

5. - Top - End - #65

As Jhaida considers how to present the facts he has uncovered, the rumblings of distant thunder break the silence. Hardly what you would have expected to hear on the warm, clear evening.

"Storm clouds on the horizon!" Estra calls out from the deck.

((If you head out to see the storm, make a Survival check for information about it))

6. - Top - End - #66

Strongarm

Strongarm had no particular experience with storms and clouds and weather in general, but a pair of strong steady legs were usually useful during bad weather.

The warforged clunks out on the deck.

(1d20+0)[18]

7. - Top - End - #67

BlackDragon

Startled, Jhaida's head snaps up. "Storm clouds? But ..."

She hurries to the door. Stopping right in it, she turns around again. "Someone keep an eye on the capt'n's cabin! That storm may be more than it would appear!"

Then she heads out to have a look at the weather. In deep concentration, the spirit shaman softly chants to the spirits of the air ...

@ Mantid:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Using a Guidance spell, Jhaida's roll turns out to be:

Survival - (1d20+7)[26]
    Oh, come let me sing of
    Olothontor the Old.
    Music in thrall this lone
    wyrm doth hold.
    If you would live to see
    sunrise again,
    Sing long of love, and
    loss, and pain.
    Sing as you've never
    sung before,
    And alive you may be
    gently shown the door.

-- Stanza from Oh, Come, Let Me Sing, a Harper drinking ballad

8. - Top - End - #68

Strongarm

Spoiler
    Show

This storm is definitely unusual for this time of the year.

Jhaida

Spoiler
    Show
    You're certain this storm is not completely natural. Not only is it the wrong season for this kind of storm, but the storm moves and acts in unusual ways. Most disturbingly, the storm seems to be ignoring the winds and is heading straight for the ship.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Orc in the Playground

Cooky:

Cooky, who was not particularly great above deck, headed to the captain's quarters immedietly, running without any subtlety. The mystery must be solved and the info must be kept unspoiled, and no one was going into the capt's quarters until she darn well felt like it. If anyone got in her way, they would hear a very forceful, move as the generally nutty Cooky went to the quarters.

10. - Top - End - #70

Dan Davis

Dan, while not in quite as much as a rush as Cooky, stops only to ask "Is everything alright Jhadia?" before heading off to the cabin. As impottant as he knew this was, he hoped it could be handled quickly so prepparations for the storm could be made.

11. - Top - End - #71

((Thanks for moving me, sorry for the lack of posting.))

Lanzo stands up abruptly at the sound of the storm. He grabs his hat and puts it on, muttering to himself: "Spirits... Hmph.".

He runs outside, Cutlass Drawn, and making his way to where he kept his shield on-deck. He'd seen storms that had brought many strange things indeed.

I'm quite proud of this:

WAAAGH!

Secret Option F, The Steam Group!

12. - Top - End - #72

The storm begins to draw closer and winds begin to race over the ship, bringing a damp chill to the air. The waves grow unsteady and the ship begins to rock and they slap against the side.

Namac comes running up to Dan, snapping into a sharp salute and trying so hard to stand tall and straight that he nearly rises up onto his tip toes. "Captain Davis!," he barks. "Should we prepare the ship for stormy weather?"

Hasvo comes up beside Namac and smacks his elbow. "Ya look like an idiot," Hasvo mumbles.

13. - Top - End - #73

Dan Davis

The captain would probably come close to laughing if he was in a better mood. "That would probably be a good idea Namac. It seems to be coming fast." he agrees before asking Havaso, "Can you at least save your comments for when there isn't a storm on the way?"

14. - Top - End - #74

Hasvo signs and replies, "Aye capt'n." He gives a simple salute and turns around to organize the crew to prepare the ship. He takes a couple steps before he realizes that Namac is still standing there saluting, beaming with the apparent approval from the captain. Hasvo reaches back, grabs the gnome's tunic, and tugs him along. "Come on," Hasvo grumbles. "Ya capt'n gave ya order. Le's get to it."

The clouds continue to move to the ship bringing with them rain and winds that sweep across the deck. The crew works to get the sails up and get everything on deck secured. Lightning crackles in the clouds and ominous rumblings echoes over the waters.

Soon the ship is fully inside the storm, the winds tearing across the deck, throwing cold, stinging rain. The energy in the clouds continues to crackle overhead, but refuses to release. Lanzo and Jhaida are the first to spot the true terror of the storm.

The clouds overhead begin to take a definite shape, twisting into a large, vaguely rounded shape split by a large mouth and two empty eyes lit by the yellow and blue arcs of electricity. This misty head is soon joined by an equally cloudy hand that thrusts out of the clouds to grasp the aft mast of the Wake. The creature seems to pull itself downward, extending a second hand to grab the forward mast to help drag itself closer to the deck, stopping mid way down the masts.

((Combat reminder - no intitative, actions happen in the order they are posted, the monster taking the last turn.

The creature is about 20ft above the deck. You can climb the rigging to reach it, with a DC of 10 for 1/4 your speed or DC 15 for 1/2 your speed.

Due to the strong winds, ranged attacks have a -4 to hit.

Someone should take the helm and make Profession: Sailor checks each round to prevent further problems from the storm and keep the ship on course.

Knowledge Nature, the Planes, or Arcana (and bardic knowledge, of course) checks may be used to reveal facts about the monster.))

15. - Top - End - #75

Lanzo 46/46 HP AC: 22

Knowledge Arcana
    (1d20+4)[12]

This storm's got a life'a it's own, mates!

Just as he finishes strapping his shield on, Lanzo sees the monster's face. He shoves his sword-hand into his Spellpouch and rips out some ashes. Yelling a few words that are lost in the storm, he clenches his hand and throws the ash up at the monster, and it now takes the form of a Red hot rock and streaks towards the creature's "face".

Kelgore’s Fire Bolt

(((5d6)[22] Fire damage, reflex 15 for Half))
    Last edited by Vazzaroth; 2008-08-28 at 11:43 AM.

I'm quite proud of this:

WAAAGH!

16. - Top - End - #76

Dan

"That is... not a normal storm." mutters the captain as he tries to remember what it is. Regardless of if he knows anything about the creature, he'll backaway from it and fire an eldritch spear at it, shouting to Lanzo "Try not to burn the ship down if you can avoid it. it's somewhat important to our careers."

Spoiler
    Show

knowledge: the planes - (1d20+3)[7]
    knowledge: arcana - (1d20+3)[19]
    attack - (1d20+8)[10] Vs. touch AC
    damage - (3d6)[10]

17. - Top - End - #77

Strongarm

Strongarm stares up at the storm creature. He has a brief thought of concern for the cat, but decides that it's smart enough not to come out on the deck while a storm is roaring.

The warforged pulls out a black thread from the pouch on his belt. He ties it around his hands, concentrating hard. The thread disappears and the artificer's hands begin to glow.

Strongarm immediately grabs hold of the rigging and begins climbing.

Spoiler
    Show
    Strongarm infuses himself with Skill Enhancement, adding a +5 enhancement bonus to his Climb checks.
    He climbs the rigging at 1/2 speed.
    Climb - (1d20+2)[19]

EDIT: Good, I won't have to use an action point on that.
    Last edited by kpenguin; 2008-08-28 at 12:57 AM.

18. - Top - End - #78

((Was hoping we'd see someone else post before the end of the long weekend here in the States... oh well...))

Lanzo ’s Fire Bolt and Dan's eldritch spear both strike the creature, causing pits of its cloudy body to evaporate into the air. The monster lets out a (literally) thunderous roar and throws itself against the masts, splintering wood and snapping some of the rigging. Its eyes flash gold and blue as lightning crackles through them, its head turning back and forth to find the source of the stings in its sides.

Despite the shaking of the masts, Strongarm has no trouble climbing half way to the creature.

[snip]

Cooky, Nelsrial , Celidea draw their weapons and take defensive positions, uncertain how to approach this strange threat. Besc takes a more direct approach, however, and jumps on the rigging across from Strongarm, pulling himself up and apparently eager for a fight.

Vae, seeing the monster overhead, hurries the other deckhands and crewmen to the safety of below deck.

Dan
    Spoiler
    Show

While you're not sure what this creature is, you know it isn't from this plane of existence. Occasionally they do slip onto Eberron when the planes are coterminous with the prime material plane, but most likely this creature has been summoned.

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by Mantid; 2008-09-02 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Details from roll

19. - Top - End - #79

Jhaida hurries up throw herself at the wheel to keep the Wake under control. (Profession: Sailor - (1d20+6)[25]) Although the winds and waves try their hardest to take control of the ship, the genasi manages to prevail.
    Last edited by Mantid; 2008-09-02 at 06:13 PM.

20. - Top - End - #80

Strongarm

Strongarm struggles to make it to the top of the rigging, next to the storm creature.

Spoiler
    Show
    Climb at half speed, move action. Climb - (1d20+2)[11]

Upon reaching the top, Strongarm clenches his battlefist. The wand inside the bracer on that arm activates, causing the entire arm to shine brightly before encasing the entire thing in cold, hard, stone.

Spoiler
    Show
    Expended one charge to cast stone fist. Standard action

21. - Top - End - #81

Dan

Dan groans as the storm attacks the ship. He angrily fires a second eldritch blast and glances over at the elves. "Where's Alimor? For once it seems like he might actually be willing to help and he's not here"

Spoiler
    Show

attack - (1d20+8)[26] vs. touch Ac.
    defense - (3d6)[12]
    Last edited by Hyozo; 2008-09-03 at 05:37 PM.

22. - Top - End - #82

Lanzo 46/46 HP AC: 22

Get down here, you bloody cloud!

Lanzo stands in the middle of the deck below the storm, taunting it. He flicks his sword and a bright red sparkling flare flies at the thing's face.

((Fort save dc 14 or dazzled for 1 minute. Spell-like ability.))

I'm quite proud of this:

WAAAGH!

23. - Top - End - #83
    Orc in the Playground

Cooky:

Cooky, who would follow her sister in arms wherever, was not particularly happy to see her beloved ship get destroyed, and, instinctively got peeved. Very, very peeved, and flew into a rage. She threw herself off of the deck, and then began to splatter up the mast to destroy the monster that was chumping up the dear ship.

Spoiler
    Show

Climbing, at half-speed: (1d20+7)[17] (Keep in mind her speed is 40 feet not, 30.)

Attack, if I have the move action: (1d20+11)[17]
    Second attack, because Cooky is a combat monkey: (1d20+6)[21]

Edit: No action point this time.

Last edited by WillWolf; 2008-09-03 at 10:43 PM.

24. - Top - End - #84

Strongarm struggles to climb the ropes in the storm and is only able to climb a couple feet before he pauses to cast his spell.

Dan's blast strikes true again, disintegrating more of the creature's cloudy body. With another roar the monster's head turns to regard the changling, its eyes and mouth crackling with energy. Lanzo's flare follows close behind the warlocks blast, but the spell doesn't seem to affect the strange creature.

Cooky wastes no time jumping onto the rigging and racing up to the monster, slashing with her sword as she pulls herself into arms reach. ((damage - (1d8+4)[12]))

Besc also finishes his climb, grasping a cross beam, he swings himself upward, thrusting his foot out in a powerful kick. His foot disappears into the monster for a moment before the clouds disappear and free his leg.

Nelsrial and Celidea, obviously uncertain about the situation, begin to struggle climbing up the rigging to help in the attack against the beast, but Celidea barely makes it off the deck as she slips on the wet, unsteady ropes.

With a shout Alimor charges up from below decks, having finally pushed himself past the gleeing crew. The huge, excited grin on his face quickly turns into a scowl as he sees the creature well out of reach. "Ancestor's blood!" he curses. "How am I suppose to hit the darn thing?!"

A dagger flies over his head as Melsitel comes part way out of the hatch from below deck. The dagger, unfortunately, is caught by the wind and is blown into the mast, falling harmlessly to the deck.

The living storm continues to crackle with energy as it seems to collect the building charge in its mouth. With a deafening clash of thunder that shatters barrels, snaps rigging, and damages the masts even further, it looses a jagged bold of lighting at Dan!

Jhaida continues to struggle against the weather, doing what she can to keep the ship from being at the mercy of the waves. Prof Sailor - (1d20+6)[26]

Everyone:
    Spoiler
    Show

Dan: Take (8d6)[29] damage, make a DC 18 reflex save to halve.

Dan: Take (4d6)[14] damage, Fort Save vs 18 to halve damage
    Lanzo: Take (4d6)[14] damage, Fort Save vs 18 to halve damage
    Jhaida: Take (4d6)[12] damage, Fort Save vs 18 to halve damage
    Strongarm: Take (4d6)[18] damage, Fort Save vs 18 to halve damage
    Cooky: Take (4d6)[18] damage, Fort Save vs 18 to halve damage

Everyone on the rigging: Because the thunder damaged and shook the rigging, make a DC 5+(1/2 the damage you took) climb check or fall to the deck, taking 1d6 damage per 10 feet you had climbed or falling overboard into the water (your choice)
    Last edited by Mantid; 2008-09-07 at 10:48 PM.

25. - Top - End - #85

Dan

Dan fails to dodge the storm-like creature's attack and is rather severely injured. He quickly grabs one of the wands from his belt pouch and forces a small amont of magic through it. The wand's curative powers activate and restore a small amount of health to the captain.

Spoiler
    Show
    reflex save - (1d20+6)[10]
    UMD the wand of Cure light wounds, Decieve item to take 10, result is 22.
    formatting error on the damage healed roll. Actual roll here.
    Last edited by Hyozo; 2008-09-08 at 08:44 AM.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Orc in the Playground

Cooky:

Cooky swiped at the monstrous cloud again, regardless of the consequences. "Get ... off ... my ... ship!" She snarled literally as the monster continued on with it's damage. Despite the electricity she was not fazed, but the fire in her eyes made it quite clear that she was not happy to have her beloved ship in trouble.

Spoiler
    Show
    Fort save: (1d20+8)[19] Temp increase in con, increases fort saves.

Attack roll, (1d20+10)[21] ... second roll: (1d20+5)[10] ... damage roll: (1d8+6)[13] ... second one: (1d8+6)[14]

Technically speaking there should have been another two points of damage for the success at hitting because of the increase in rage. However, I forgot to actually roll my own damage, so I'll understand it should be dropped.

Rage 2/5 ...

Temp hitpoints: +18 ... AC: 18

27. - Top - End - #87

Strongarm

Rocked hard by the shockwave of the lightning bolt sent at Dan. He manages to tough it through and stay on the rigging and continues his ascent. Reaching right next to the creature, he extracts a piece of rabbits fur from his pouch and squeezes it in his battlefist, concentrating hard all the while as the storm raged around him.His battlefist shine brightly for a brief second before settling in to a sky-blue glow.

This... thing, whatever it was, was either a beast of elemental properties or was not of this world, bound to the elements of air or water judging from its nature. Making a snap judgment, Strongarm had enhanced his fist against unearthly spirits of an airy nature.

Spoiler
    Show
    Fortitude Save to Halve Damage
    Climb Check to Stay On Rigging
    Climb Check to Move at Quarter Speed + Action Point
    Cast
    (Move Action)
    Infused Battlefist with Outsider (air) Bane using Weapon Augmentation, Personal (Standard Action)

28. - Top - End - #88

Lanzo 32/46 HP AC: 22 Fort Save: (1d20+7)[12]

Ahhhrrrg!

Lanzo's hand's go to his ears at the loud thunder, almost forgetting his sword and shield. Seeing his petty flare fail, he retrieves ingredients for another Fire Bolt, and unleashes!

Spoiler
    Show

Kelgore's Fire Bolt

(5d6)[13] Fire damage

Last edited by Vazzaroth; 2008-09-10 at 11:33 AM.

I'm quite proud of this:

WAAAGH!

29. - Top - End - #89

Cooky swings wildly at the cloud creature, scoring one noticeable hit and sending more of the creature’s vaporous body evaporating into the air. Thundering, the monster slowly turns its large, bellowing face toward the enraged barbarian. It opens it mouth, no longer crackling with energy, and lunges at Cooky when [b]Lanzo’s fire bolt pieces into the beast just beside its eye. The monster pulls back, glancing in Lanzo’s direction for a moment.

Nelsrial reaches down to his companion. “Grab hold,” he tells the elf maiden.

Celidea grins. “What? Going to pull me up a foot?” she jokes, reaching out and taking his hand. The pair continue to make their way up the battle, where Celidea is able to draw her scimitar and make a swipe a the beast. Her blade passes through the monster harmlessly.

Another dagger flies across the deck. Melsitel’s second dagger is only slightly more accurate, passing by the monster and trailing evaporating cloud behind it. Alimor curses in elvish as he heads to the rigging. Slipping his scimitar into its holder on his back, he grabs the ropes and tries to climb up, only managing to make it a couple feet before he slips back to the deck brining on a second round of swearing.

Besc dances across the cross beam, thrusting a fist into the beast’s hand. The sound of cracking wood can barely be made out as the beast lets loose another thundering roar and pulls it hand away, slapping Besc with the back of it. Besc stumbles backwards from the blow, but manages to keep his balance on the crossbeam. The beast then swipes the hand across the rigging, trying to hit Cooky.

Suddenly a tremor shakes through the ship as the sound of an impact echoes from below decks. “Did we hit something?” Melsitel asks, just a hint of panic in his normally cool and collected voice. You know this isn’t the case however. The Wake didn’t strike anything, rather something just attacked the boat from underneath!

Spoiler
    Show

Attack on Cooky:
    To Hit: (1d20+6)[13]
    Damage: (1d8+6)[8] + (1d6)[5] electricity

30. - Top - End - #90

Strongarm

Strongarm is rattled by the assault from the bottom of the ship. He and Vae would need to repair that area later. Hopefully it wasn't too damaged. For now, however, there was the task at hand.

Leaning closer to the great storm-thing, Strongarm unleashes a fearsome set of punches with his powerful battlefist.

Spoiler
    Show

First Slam Attack
    Attack Roll: 28 (30 w/ Bane)
    Damage Roll: 15 (23 w/ Bane)

Second Slam Attack
    Attack Roll: 13 (15 w/ Bane)
    Damage Roll: 7 (13 w/ Bane)
    Last edited by kpenguin; 2008-09-19 at 02:35 AM.