New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The Giants' Crown (One) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

Jack Trader

Spoiler
    Show

"Indeed, my good man" Jack says to the gnome as he walks up to the bar. He speaks to the bartender.

"A mug of your finest ale if you please, and I have a worthy proposal for you. I can't help but notice the lack of entertainment in here, how about I give you a performance? I can assure you my talents are of the highest quality and are sure to make your customers happy, and happy customers are drinking customers, better still, it won't cost you a single copper, that's right, I seek only stories, and I figure this is the place to find them."

Diplomacy - (1d20+20)[30]

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

Gwen

Neither please. I'm here to find out the progress of an investigation? Captain Agarish was murdered and I'd like to find out if the city guard has found anything? Gwen is being pleasant, patient and nice.

Spoiler
    Show
    Avi by Elder Tsofu
    Inner Circle

Quote Originally Posted by Vaynor View Post
    Well you cheat, obviously. You're a druid, you can just cast Control Weather and call it a day.
    Chainmaille, Chainmail or is it Chain Mail?

3. - Top - End - #33

Jack Trader
    Spoiler
    Show
    The gnome's gruff attitude seems to melt away at your decision to buy a drink, his angry scowl twisting into a beaming smile. He hurries over to the bar with you and serves you a large mug of some dark liquid that smells a little too powerfully of cinnamon, although your not sure if it is another attempt to hide the lingering smells of the sewer or to hide the beverage's true odor. Perhaps both.

The gnome smiles and nods as you make your proposition. "Ah, well," he replies, "You're talking to the right gnome! I'm Krassindugude, owner of this place. My costumers seem to like it quiet, but you seem good enough. Can't beat that price neither!"

"Hey! Go tell the drunks that we have a performance for their entertainment to night!" he barks at the gnome servants. loud enough that the costumers probably heard already. Many of them seem reluctant to bother the tavern's patrons, bringing the angry scowl back to the travernkeeper's face. "Well get at it! A little music's good for you! Go!"

The gnomes hurry around the tavern, passing the message into the curtained booths. A few faces peek out of the curtains out of curiosity or suspicion before returning to their privacy Only a few bother to push aside the furs to pay attention.

"Whenever you're ready," Krass says with a smile and curt nod.

Gwen
    Spoiler
    Show

The dwarf moves the paper work he was scribbling on into one of the piles of paper, practically flinging it into a random stack. As he pulls another paper from the small stack at the front of the desk, he finally looks up to regard you. "Agarish, you say?" he asks, tapping a fingernail on his surprisingly white teeth. "Ah yes, the sea captain murdered on his ship, right? Got the paper work right there." He waves a hand at the piles of paper before turning his attention to the new paperwork in front of him, resuming his furious scribbling. "I'm afraid I'm too busy to figure out if you have the rights or reasons to look at it, however," he explains. "Come back tomorrow morning when we're not dealing with all the night time drunks and thieves and we'll see what we can do for you."

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

Gwen

Gwen smiles, nods, Yes, I'll do that. What time do you prefer I drop by?
    Avi by Elder Tsofu
    Inner Circle

Well you cheat, obviously. You're a druid, you can just cast Control Weather and call it a day.

5. - Top - End - #35

Jack Trader
    Spoiler
    Show

With a flourish, Jack takes out his fiddle and bow, finds a nice clear area on the tavern floor, and begins a performance.

Perform Rolls
    Spoiler
    Show

Fiddle - (1d20+10)[17]
    Dance - (1d20+13)[16]
    Sing - (1d20+13)[16]

And finishing with a joke.

Comedy - (1d20+7)[17]

"Two Half-Orcs walk into a bar, and their halfling companion walks under it!"

Despite his confidence in his talents, Jack feels a pang of well hidden nervousness as he awaits the reaction of the patrons.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

Osprey

Osprey walks the decks, not worrying about sleep... he's had his two hours.

Best investment I ever made, this ring of sustenance. I hope we have at least a week in port next time, though. I'm missing having some good fish.
    Show me a hero, and I'll write you a tragedy.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

7. - Top - End - #37

Gwen
    Spoiler
    Show
    The dwarf doesn't pause from working on the paperwork as he mumbles out an answer. "Sixth or seventh bell"

Jack Trader
    Spoiler
    Show
    A few people applaud your performance, but most seem to keep their quiet. You only hear a couple mumbles of complaint, however.

Krassindugude seems pleased however, and waves you over with a broad smile. "Ah! Well done!" he tells you. His face grows more serious as he continues. "Now, it was a story you was looking for? 'Stories' around here aren't the safest thing, but I'm sure you know that. Any particular stories you're looking to hear?"

Barnacle Jack
    Spoiler
    Show
    As you swim in the harbor, something causes your head to tingle along with a feeling that a voice was calling out to you. You soon spot a group of three figures though the fog, standing at the end of a nearby dock. One of them seems to be waving for you to come to them

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

Gwen

Gwen nods and thanks him before she departs. She walks quickly along the streets, watching out for any unsavory types... as she heads towards the Bilge Rats.
    Avi by Elder Tsofu
    Inner Circle

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground

Basking in the cool salt waters of the night sea, Jack swims exuberantly at first, relishing both the feel of the water and the joy of the exercise. After a while, he slows, languishing happily in the waves. Wh... what? I'd swear I heard summat, but at th' same time, I'm fair sure no sound reached me ears.

It is then that he notices the figures on the dock, beckoning to him in the fog. Feeling a tingle down his spine, he regards the figures curiously, and with slight apprehension. But his curiosity has been aroused, and he decides to check it out. I'll give 'em summat to look at, first. If'n they be unfriendly, they'll think twice afore startin' trouble.

Swimming towards the edge of the dock, he rises towards the surface, bringing himself into a sort of crouch. Concentrate, now. Remember as yer father taught ye. I am as th'wave. I am tha wave, aye, an tha' wave is me. Above, below, in, on. All is the same to th'water of tha sea, and I am o' that water.

Thus it is, as he nears the dock, that he begins to rise, impossibly, out of the water, feet moving swiftly no longer through the waves, but on top of them. Just before he reaches the edge of the dock, he leaps, aiming for the lip of the pier.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

Osprey

Osprey reties several lines that have been incorrectly stayed. He reviews the last watch roster in his head and nods. I'd better give a few extra lessons to that young seaman ordinary, Mr. Took.
    Last edited by Wiz; 2008-06-27 at 03:03 PM.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

11. - Top - End - #41

Barnacle Jack
    Spoiler
    Show

As you leap to the dock, the two men, large brutes who likely have a bit of giant blood in them, to either side of the beckoning one take a step back and each for the large blades strapped to their backs. The central figure, a tall, hansom human with striking violet eyes, cascading blue hair, and ornate robes, motions for them to stand down.

The purpled eyed man offers a small smile. "Good," he says in a clam, soft voice. "I was hoping to meet with someone from the Beggar's Choice before it set sail tomorrow. I have a venture for your consideration, one that I think you will find is quite amiable and remunerative.

"Undoubtedly you question this curious meeting. It is an unmistakable mark that you are the type of reasonable and practical individual we seek to employ.

"Ah, but I am getting ahead of myself. You certainly have a desire to know with whom you are speaking, your kind usually does. Therefore you may call me Callon."
    He offers a slight bow

12. - Top - End - #42

Jack Trader
    Spoiler
    Show

Jack seats himself at the bar and takes a small sip of the cinnamon-smelling concoction.

"I hear, as you no doubt have, that a sea captain has been murdered right in his cabin, and no-one knows how or why. Of course, we both know that's a lie, somebody knows, perhaps even you. I bet you hear a lot off things as a bartender in this place..."
    Last edited by Solophoenix; 2008-06-28 at 03:05 AM. Reason: Spoiler tags

13. - Top - End - #43

Jack Trader
    Spoiler
    Show

The gnome scratches his head and rolls his eyes back and he tries to remember what he may have heard. "A sea captain you say," he mumbles. He continues on a bit clearer, "Ah, you know, I don't go hearing so much from the docks as I use to. Darn pirates pushing the Rats out and all. Its got worse since that thrice damned ship came in. Been word of ghosts all around those parts since then. And now they say one of those... what are they called? Inspirator? Naw, that's not it. Well those damn high-and-mighty mind men has been there too. They even say that ship's capt..."

His eyes widen as a realization dawns on him. "Your from that ship, ain't you?!" He glances around furtively. "Look, maybe you should leave. I have problems already just with my regulars, I don't need no ghosts or mind twisters in here."

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    "Aye, right practical I am." Barnacle Jack nods his head sagely. "Practical enough ta sail tha world, pract'cal enough ta list'n when somm'n talks. So talk, aye, I'm list'nin."

[i]Pract'cal enough ta listen, indeed, when summat I might be wishin t'hear is said. An' practical enough t'listen quietly now an' talk later, when that Osprey feller 'as time t'put 'is mind to what I bin hearin'.
    Last edited by H Savvy; 2008-06-29 at 11:50 AM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

Gwen finds the Bilge Rats, doesn't sound that great a place and probably doesn't look that great. She finds an out of the way and preferably dark spot to wait for the acting captain to show up. She's trying to avoid being seen by the more unsavory types that frequent the place.
    Avi by Elder Tsofu
    Inner Circle

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

Osprey

Osprey walks the decks, a little troubled. Something seems off... and he's been shipping for too many years to ignore his intuition. He goes to the railing and watches over the side, looking down at the waterline, then looks up and sniffs the air. From somewhere near he hears muffled voices bouncing through the fog and across the water.

Spoiler
    Show
    Listen Roll: (1d20)[2], DC?

He shakes his head, he can't make anything out clearly, and indeed is not even sure if it wasn't the chattering of seabirds. He continues walking the deck, keeping a weather eye out.
    Last edited by Wiz; 2008-06-30 at 01:21 AM.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

17. - Top - End - #47

Barnacle Jack
    Spoiler
    Show
    Callon smiles and pulls a small bag out of his robes. Holding the bag out to you he explains, "This is for you time, no stings attached, as they say. It is meant to show our sincerity in being forthcoming and honest in arranging an agreement.

"For the time being, we only desire you to monitor your passengers. The elves your ship are contracted to are... unworthy of trust. They seek an ancient weapon that would devastate entire worlds. My associates and I only wish to prevent this weapon from ever being used by assuring its destruction.

"We do not expect you to take our word for it, but we are confident that your observations of the elves will lead you to trust us."

Gwen
    Spoiler
    Show
    Few people know the location of the Bilge Rats' headquarters, but they have eyes and ears everywhere. A little tavern built over the docks, called the Leaky Dingy, is known to have a Rat "infestation".

The Leaky Dingy is full of noise tonight, the gambling tables in the rear of the tavern are crowded with an assortment of sea men, more then a few baring the unmistakable emblem of a pirate flag on their clothes or skin. The bartenders and serving girls seems a little intimidated by the rowdy crowd. The few customers who don't seem to be a part of the revelry also seem a bit on edge.

Osprey & ship crew
    Spoiler
    Show
    Foot steps cut through the fog as someone approaches the ship. An elf soon appears through the fog, the double bladed weapon on his back and his brightly dyed hair clearly visible shining in the dimmed moonlight.

He seems to just be out inspecting the dock and the ship, with no other apparent purpose or any hurry. Spotting someone on the deck of the Beggar's Choice he calls out "Ahoy!" and approaches the gangplank.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

Gwen

Gwen will find an out of the way place, out of sight, preferably out of mind. She will watch and listen. If a barmaid approaches, she'll order a mead and drink it slowly.

Avi by Elder Tsofu
    Inner Circle

19. - Top - End - #49
    Dwarf in the Playground

Barnacle Jack

Spoiler
    Show
    "I take this gift as a sign o' yer friendship, an' not by way of formin' any bond or contract. Yer warnin'll be heeded in light o' this friendship, an' I warrant the elves'll be watched, but more I canno' promise. Ye say yer confident we'll trust ye, aye, an' we'll see, at that. How am I t' find ye or know ye if I find ye to speak true?"

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Kix emerges from belowdecks at the sound of the call and turns to face the elf.

"Ah, hello. I'm afraid the captain is n't aboard at the moment, but perhaps I can help you with whatever you need. Chief Steward Sovello, and yourself?"
    The following errors occurred with your search:

1. This forum requires that you wait 300 seconds between searches. Please try again in 306 seconds.

21. - Top - End - #51

Beggar's Choice
    Spoiler
    Show
    "I'm Alimor," the elf replies. "I'm one of your passengers. I couldn't sleep so I came down here to see her... the ship legends will be written of." He smiles, lost in his own fantasies for a moment. "Ah, well. We had heard there had been problems, so I just came to see for myself."

Gwen
    Spoiler
    Show

Gather Information - Your careful questions don't turn up any information on your ship or on who may represent the Bilge Rats, but you get the name of the pirate crew captain: Morsan Blackwell.

Listen - You don't catch anything about the Beggar's Choice or Captain Agarish, but there is much bragging about controlling the docks and you over hear one small group talking about running the Rats out.

Spot - You're being watched, by two others.

One is a weathered, black-haired sailor, a worn, decorative coat draped easily over his shoulders. He has seems to have a certain command in his corner of the room as any who pass near him seem more subdued and careful.

Your other watcher is less obvious. A large rat sits hidden in the shadows of the rafters, its eyes following your movements closely.

Barnacle Jack
    Spoiler
    Show

Callon nods slowly. "The money is just a symbol of our desire for you help, and does not signify any contract or agreement. We just ask you use your own judgment and caution. Do not worry about contacting us. We will be able to signal you when we wish to discuss further, more important, arrangements. Just look for the rabbit with leaves for ears."

With that, he and his henchmen turn and walk away, disappearing into the fog.

Inside the bag you find gold coins, a ruby, an onyx, and a sapphire, the total of all, you'd estimate, being around 1,000 gp.

22. - Top - End - #52

Jack Trader

Spoiler
    Show

Jack knocks on the bar with his hand.

"I'm as solid as anyone, not a ghost at all, friend. I wish you no ill. All I ask is that you hold up your end of the deal, tell me what you know about the murder, and I'll be on my way."

23. - Top - End - #53
    Dwarf in the Playground

Barnacle Jack stands on the dock for several minutes after the man with blue hair and purple eyes Callon, the dog called hisself Callon and his cronies disappeared into the fog. No doubt they're watchin me, but I'm thinkin' they bin watchin fer a good long time now. Best I get back t'Mister Osprey an' report while tha meetin's still fresh in me mind. Trader may be actin' captain, but that mage fella's the real brains on deck.

Hanging the bag of gems on his belt, Jack dives gracefully into the water and swims quickly back to the ship, swimming underwater for as long as he can to irritate any who might be trying to watch or follow him. Like as not, makes no difference, but a little care never hurt no one, eh?

Upon reaching the ship, he climbs the main anchor line, and using the hawsepipe as a foothold, hoists himself onto the deck. Once there, he scans the deck for the skinny ship's wizard and locates him pacing athwartships near the gangplank. He also notes the presence of the elf nearby, and although he was not engaged in conversation with the mage, Jack decides to hold his tongue for now. Best not to interfere jus' yet. Wait until the elf is gone an' then meet wi' Osprey, I think. Elves gots sharp ears, an' I'd jus as soon avoid trouble what can be avoided.

24. - Top - End - #54

Crow

Standing up and perching on the edge of the crows nest, Crow looked down at the elf below and listened to his introduction. Jumping out and flaring his wings he landed lightly a short distance in front of Alimor taking a few steps forward to stand at the top of the gang plank, peering down at the elf. "Just one slight problem, which no thanks to you we can't fix" Crow said, planting his feet preventing any attempts for the elf to walk onto the ship.
    Still here, just a little busy to social post

You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til you understand who's in ruttin' command here. ~ Jayne Cobb

Spoiler
    Show

Avatars by: drKarling, The_Chilli_God and The_Chilli_God

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

Osprey

Osprey hears the voices at the side and quickly casts a Detect Thoughts spell before walking over to the railing and focusing his concentration on the elf. "Indeed, we have had some difficulty."
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

26. - Top - End - #56

Beggar's Choice

The elf takes a step back and smiles as Crow lands in front of him. "Magnificent," he says, studying the raptoran before collecting himself and realizing what was said. "You can't blame us that your captain wasn't more careful," he snaps. "Deaths happen. I would think a bunch of sailors would know that. I need to know is that you will be ready to leave at sun rise before any the rest of us end up dead."

Jack Trader
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Look," Krassindugude says, "it wasn't a local boy. I hear a lot of things I wish I hadn't, but there isn't no one local who's bragging about it like they always do. Your assassin was from out of town. Could have been those pirates in the docks recently, or the elves or ghosts or mind-men, or any other new comer to Stormreach. That's all I know."

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

Kix raises an eyebrow.

"And why would any of us die? Sounds like you know something about what killed the captain."
    The following errors occurred with your search:

1. This forum requires that you wait 300 seconds between searches. Please try again in 306 seconds.

28. - Top - End - #58

Crow

Placing one foot and jumping into the air, Crow glided to stand between the elf and the quickest escape. "The captain was careful, someone got in through locked doors. But yes, death does happen." Running a finger along one of his armour spikes, Crow waited for a response to Kix's question

Spoiler
    Show
    I have +25 to jump, and launching off the edge of the boat, so should be quite do able.
    Still here, just a little busy to social post

You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til you understand who's in ruttin' command here. ~ Jayne Cobb

Spoiler
    Show

Avatars by: drKarling, The_Chilli_God and The_Chilli_God

29. - Top - End - #59
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lightbulb Re: The Giants' Crown (One) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

Barnacle Jack walks slowly over to the gangplank. "Ah, stop bein s'damn foolish, Crow. Ye'r treatin one o our passengers like a rank villain. One o' the pasesnger's we're carryin tomorrow, I might add, even if he is a might overeager. We may not like it, an I know I sure as hell don't, but they've got a contract, an' likin's got nothin to do with it."

To the elf he adds "Beggin yer pardon, sir. We sailors're grievin' tonight, and it's set us all a-cockbill. I'm hopin ye'll look past our manners, sir, rememberin' we just lost our cap'n and that manners aint got anythin' ta do with contracts, neither."
    Last edited by H Savvy; 2008-07-02 at 11:55 PM.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

Osprey

Osprey focuses on the elf, concentrating on his spell. "So, you knew there had been a death on board and you predict more should we not set sail soon? If death is the cost of ferrying you, breaking contract would hardly be that serious for us, now would it?"
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald