New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The Giants' Crown (One) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

The quiet night is broken by the sound of another bell, marking the late hour. The sounds of drunks and ruffians on the docks carry on for a while, trying to rise above the tolling bell, then silence begins to settle over the eerie night once more.

The silence does not win out this time, however, as a roar breaks out over the city and the noises along the docks resume with more intensity, as more drunks and visitors to Stormreach panic over the small commotion. Few residence of the city would be bothered with the roar, living at the edge of an untamed continent beings with it a certain acceptance and calm about unexpected noises at night.

Another roar keeps the distant shouts and panic around the docks alive. Soon the distinct sound of boots running across the wooden planks echoes in the fog, growing ever louder as they quickly make their way toward The Beggar's Choice. Soon a lone figure pierces the fog, running at an exceptionally quick pace to the boarding plank of the ship.

The bald headed elf hardly takes a moment to catch his breath as he calls out, "Beggar's Choice! Prepare to receive passengers!"

2. - Top - End - #122
    Troll in the Playground

Osprey

Osprey goes over to the side of the ship, looking down at the bald elf halfway up the gangplank. "You there...get off!" He roars in his best command voice. "This hasty business is not an option! Nobody charges aboard this ship in a frenzy with who-knows-what on their heels. Assemble your people at the base of the gangway and we'll see about an orderly boarding. If you've brought some trouble on yourself it will be something you need to resolve before you come on this ship!"
    Show me a hero, and I'll write you a tragedy.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

3. - Top - End - #123
    Troll in the Playground

Gwen

Gwen had been meditating out in the open air on deck, getting her rest outside. She gracefully stands and goes to join Osprey at the side. She doesn't say anything, but whatever he says goes, and she's ready, if need be, to enforce it.
    Avi by Elder Tsofu
    Inner Circle

Quote Originally Posted by Vaynor View Post
    Well you cheat, obviously. You're a druid, you can just cast Control Weather and call it a day.
    Chainmaille, Chainmail or is it Chain Mail?

4. - Top - End - #124

The elf stops and bow slightly. "I meant no offense," he replies. "The situation has changed, we need to leave port immediately. I came ahead of the others to inform you and make sure we are ready as soon as the others arrive."

Another roar echoes across Stormreach, and the elf instinctively turns to look, even though the fog hides everything but a few yards of wooden walkways. "I assure you," he adds, "it is a matter of saving lives. Both our own and those in Stormreach."

5. - Top - End - #125
    Troll in the Playground

Osprey

Osprey nods, "Certainly... but irregardless of your contract with us; passengers do not decide when we depart, the captain does... or should I say, the current acting captain. I am Osprey, the navigator, and an officer of this ship. If you will please explain the haste you are currently requiring, and if I deem it worthy of his notice, I will tell the captain; perhaps he will agree to an early departure." Osprey waits expectantly.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

6. - Top - End - #126

The elf sighs. "We are not alone in our quest. There are others who want to reach our destination first, and others that would rather we never reach it," he explains. "Those roars come from one of those. Our leader had put up spells to hide us from them, but one of us decided to slip out during the night. Now we're in danger, as well as those near where we were staying. If we leave now, we can draw the beast away and we can place the non-dection spells back in place on the ship, saving ourselves, innocent lives, and..."

"Besc!" another voice calls out, interrupting the bald elf's explanation. Soon Alimor comes running to the boarding plank. "Is that who I think it is?" he asks excitedly, thrusting a thumb in the direction of the roars.

Besc's scowl deepens. "Yes," he replies, grabbing the front of Alimor's leather armor and lifting the shorter elf up to eye level. "And its thanks to you. Now we have to convince the Beggar's captain to leave early so half the city isn't destroyed while she tried to kill us!"

7. - Top - End - #127
    Troll in the Playground

Osprey

Osprey perks his ears up, "Others... would your other possibly be a dragon?!"
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

8. - Top - End - #128

"Of course!" Alimor replies, marching up the boarding plank. "What else would it be? And these cowards won't fight it! Imagine the fame that.. ack!"

Alimor's words end as Besc grabs the back of his armor and yanks the younger elf backwards and back onto the docks. "A half-crazed dragon," Besc says. "I can assure you she will not be able to find the ship once Es’tal’en is aboard. Until then, we are in danger, the city is in danger, and, if she discovers our contract, your ship and your lives are as well."

9. - Top - End - #129
    Troll in the Playground

Osprey

The navigator raises a brow, "Really... you truly think a dragon cares about a contract for passage? If dragons were concerned about contracts or even our laws do you think she would be running in a rampage through the city?" He frowns, "You know, I'm glad you mentioned our contract... because frankly, unrevealed hazards, like this one, might just give us cause to break it." He pauses for effect... "Nevertheless, if the captain wishes to carry out this contract, as he has stated to me, you should have little to worry about. Unless of course you act in a way to displease the navigator... and then you might find yourselves losing this race to your goal." He gestures to one of the crew, "Watch them, see that they remain off the ship until the captain wants them aboard. I'll go check with him about your request to leave early... assuming he's amenable, I think we just barely might have time to catch the next tide out of the harbor." Osprey turns and goes over to the captain's cabin, knocking on the door, and then going in after a moment.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

10. - Top - End - #130
    Troll in the Playground

Gwen

Gwen remains by the railing, watching their would be passengers and waiting for Osprey to return, hopefully with the captain.
    Avi by Elder Tsofu
    Inner Circle

Well you cheat, obviously. You're a druid, you can just cast Control Weather and call it a day.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Dwarf in the Playground

Barnacle Jack nods his head silently at Osprey's instruction and moves forward toward the rail, standing just behind and to the side of Gwen, arms folded across his chest.

12. - Top - End - #132

More footsteps resound off the wooden docks as four more figures approach the ship. Three of them are obviously elves, a male and a female with scimitars draw and another man who holds a dagger by the blade, ready to throw with a flick of the wrist. All three constantly scan the fog surrounding them, ready for anything that may emerge. The fourth figure, surrounded by the elves, wears a heavy cloak that hides any indications of appearance, race, or gender.

"Good," the dagger wielding elf says as he spots Besc and Alimor, "you're both here." He gives Alimor a glare. pointing the dagger at him. "We will deal with you later." Sliding the dagger into one of the two sheathes tied to his scimitar's, he turns his attention to Besc, Gwen, and Jack. "Is the ship being made ready? Will we be able to escape?"

Besc nods in the direction of the ship. "The captain is being informed of the situation," he explains.

The dagger weilding elf nods understandingly. "I know its an inconvenience," he says to Jack and, more particularly, Gwen. "Please let the captain know we are willing to make whatever compensation we can."

13. - Top - End - #133
    Troll in the Playground

Gwen

Gwen nods, but otherwise says nothing. She looks around at the fog, to determine how dense it is, if it would hide them when they left and when it would burn off in the morning. When the bells ring next, she listens to determine what time it is.

Avi by Elder Tsofu
    Inner Circle

14. - Top - End - #134

Gwen

Spoiler
    Show
    It is just past the middle of the night (around 1). The fog is very dense and likely won't let up for at least another five to sever hours. Leaving the harbor now would be possible, but only by following the lighthouse and enchanted buoys in the harbor. One away from the city, visibility would improve.

15. - Top - End - #135

((Well, Solophoenix hasn't shown up here and hasn't replied to my PM... so here it goes:))

Jack Trader is finally drug out of his cabin to deal with the elves. He marches to the top of the gang plank and glares down at the elves. "The Beggar's Choice moves when we're ready," he says, "no sooner. And we haven't decided it is. There are a few things to clear up and some conditions before you ever set foot on our ship."

"Fine," the dagger elf replies. "If that's the price of safety then let us hear them."

"What do you know about Captain Agarish's death?" Jack Trader demands.

The elf grins. "Straight and to the point," he replies. "Good, at least this will be quick. The good captain's death was unfortunate. There are several groups and individuals who are trying to stop us, and I can only assume Aragish was asking questions about us and our goals, which caught the ears of our enemies. That is, if, of course, his death was directly related to us.

"It is also why we sent word we would still depart on time. Any delay would have left you ship and your crew in danger of those same enemies. Even if we contracted a different ship, it is likely they would have come after you in hopes of finding us."

Jack points at the scimitars four of the six elves carry. "There was a scimitar through the captains chest."

"Was there?" the elf replies. After a moment he gives a small chuckle. "Ingenious. It seems this scene was orchestrated by your assassin." He signals for the elves to sheath their weapons. "We're not sailors. It would be foolish for us to attack the crew of the ship we need to reach our destination."

Captain Trader stares down at the elves for a moment. "You'll surrender your weapons before you board."

"You can't have them!" Alimor immediately shouts, stepping forward, his hand going to the double scimitar on his back. The female elf and the short elf also reach for their blades, stepping into defensive positions with the scared, bald elf.

The dagger elf puts his arm out to stop Alimor. "You can't reasonably expect that, can you?" he says. "We are Valenar, warriors from birth. Our blades are our lives. We've already been one on voyage along Xen'Drik's coast and we know how dangerous it can be. You should be well aware that it is suicide to travel without a weapon at your side!"

"Forget it!" Alimor replies, pushing the arm out of his way. "They are probably working for someone else now. They probably have orders to capture us or kill us once we board!"

"ENOUGH!" the cloaked elf bellows, waving an aged, dry hand at the others as he steps to the foot of the boarding plank. "We haven't the time to argue. We will surrender our weapons and discuss this once we are out of the harbor. If Beshilva catches us, then all of our lives are forfeit. We haven't the choice." The cloaked elf looks up, and you can make out what appears to be a stylized skull mask in the shadows of the hood. "Are there any further questions or conditions before we may board and depart?"
    Last edited by Mantid; 2008-09-03 at 10:43 PM.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Troll in the Playground

Osprey

Returning to the boarding ramp with Trader, Osprey waits til the final question is asked. "As you leave your weapons with the Bosun here, please give him your name for our records. Furthermore, for the sake of peaceable future discussion, truth will be required at all times. If there is something you can't tell us for some reason - then tell us... and the reason. We're willing to be reasonable about your private business as long as you are honest in everything you do reveal. So far, there has been far too much... deception regarding this whole affair. The open sea is a place for open minds and truthful words."
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

17. - Top - End - #137
    Troll in the Playground

Gwen

Gwen waits, with arms crossed, and leaning on the railing, for the Captain to decide what shall happen. Her own scimitar is by her side.

She looks the passengers over carefully.
    Avi by Elder Tsofu
    Inner Circle

18. - Top - End - #138

Jack Trader

Jack carefully studies the elf's body language as he relates the information about Agarish.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sense Motive - (1d20+4)[10]

19. - Top - End - #139

"I didn't realize we were trying to deceive you," the dagger-weilding elf replies and he comes up the boarding plank, his hands loosing his scimitar sheath loose. He hands over the sheath with its immaculately clean blade, as well as the two daggers tucked into sheaths attached to it to (picks random player) Barnacle Jack. He wears the darkest colored leather of the group, his medallions lacking the bright shine the others’ posses. His long brown hair is pulled back into a neat braid that he has draped over his left shoulder. It would likely reach mid-way down his back if it hung straight. His eyes are brown, but seem to flash red when the light strikes them in the right manner. He introduces himself as "Melsitel" He holds out the large tube he carries with him to the captain. "These are for you navigator," he explains. "Charts of the location we are headed."

He hooded figure follows him. You can't make out much under his heavy brown robes with their large hood, only that the age his hands seems to show is not reflected in the way he moves. He pulls a large leather roll from one of his sleeves. "I'm sure, in your caution, you will want to take these from me," he says, handing the roll over. Peeking inside you see it appears to be a collection of variously shaped and crafted sticks stored in loops inside the roll. Wands, presumptively. "Es’tal’en," he gives as his name.

The female of the group is next. Her bright green eyes are highlighted by the green ribbon woven into her elaborately braided hair, which seems to be the only sign of femininity in the woman; the rest of her speaks of warrior. Her skin is weathered and tight, a jagged scar crossing her right cheek. Her stance and fitness tell you she has likely been a warrior from her birth and will be until her death. He hands over a scimitar with a worn, well used handle. "Celidea"

The short elf is the next to board, his long golden hair bouncing with each step. Between his sharp, attractive face and powerful but tones muscles, you could almost believe he was some elf maiden’s fantasy given life, at least if it wasn’t for his diminutive height. He hands over his scimitar and then reaches up behinds the shield on his back to retrieve a scourge hidden underneath. The long black threads of the weapon almost seem to twist on their own and give off a slight purple glow. A smaller set of whips, mirror the longer, weapon end, extend out of the bottom of the hilt mirroring the larger end. "Careful with that," he explains. "Don't let the smaller ones into your skin." He leaves the name "Nelsrial"

Alimor follows behind, frowning and taking his double scimitar from his back. He trusts it out to B. Jack. "If anything happens to my blades," he warns, "there will be no peace for anyone on this ship until I send each of you to your graves." He glares at each of you in turn before being pushed out of the way by the bald headed elf.

The bald elf, marked by a large scare across one side of his shaved scalp, holds his hands up to show he has no weapons either over or under the unusual clothes he wears, a strange, loose fitting outfit made of stips of cloth tied together at his joints. "Besc," he simply says.

"Now," Es’tal’en says, "we should leave before Beshilva finds her way to the docks. I can protect the ship from her scrying, but not from her eyes. We can discuss our destination once you feel it is appropriate, Captain."

Gwen & Trader
    Spoiler
    Show

As far as you can tell, they aren't lying or trying to hide anything.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Troll in the Playground

Osprey

Osprey takes the chart tubes from the captain. "I'll see you in your cabin once I've reviewed these, sir." He goes down to his cabin to look over the charts.

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge: Geography (1d20+19)[20]
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

21. - Top - End - #141
    Dwarf in the Playground

After the first elf hands Jack his scimitar, the sea kin sees that the rest will no doubt follow suit. He snaps and motions to two other sailors, who come across the deck to stand behind Jack. He hands each of them weapons as he recieves them, but holds onto the scourge and Alimor's double scimitar himself.

"We're hones' sailors, sirs, and'll treat yer weapons wi' passin' fine care."

22. - Top - End - #142

Osprey

Spoiler
    Show

The charts are of Xen'Drik's north western coast, from just west of Stormreach to the edge of the cliffs known as the Skyraker Claws. They seem to be of great antiquity, but are also very well detailed, charting out the smallest of changes to the coastline. All words on the map are written in a language you don't immediately recognize.

One detail of the map sticks out to you. A river is marked in the Skyraker Claws which you can't recall having seen on other charts. Comparing it to the charts already on board the ship confirm that you recall correctly.

(The charts will add a +2 circumstance bonus to all Knowledge: Geography checks to set a course in that area)
    (Knowledge History, Royalty, or Geography may give you some insight to the language).

23. - Top - End - #143
    Troll in the Playground

Osprey

Osprey considers the language on the charts in reference to what he knows about history and geography.

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge (Geography): (1d20+19)[24]
    Knowledge (History): (1d20+8)[28]

Osprey, considering the location and what he has already seen, will (if allowed) take 20 to look for anything else on the charts he may have missed. Result = 49. If he can't take 20, he'll take 10. Result = 39.

On an inspiration, he also gets out the strange symbol that the Druid gave him earlier... is it anywhere on these charts?
    Last edited by Wiz; 2008-09-08 at 02:29 AM.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

24. - Top - End - #144
    Troll in the Playground

Gwen

Gwen waits patiently through all of this. Watching them as they come aboard, she doesn't seem threatening, more patient and understanding.

She also figures that she isn't going to get back to the guard station before they leave.
    Avi by Elder Tsofu
    Inner Circle

25. - Top - End - #145

Osprey

Spoiler
    Show

You're able to identify most of the writing as "old common", supposedly the language humans spoke in the earliest of their ages. It is supposedly still used on Sarlona the birthplace of the human race, on the other side of Eberron, a two or three month voyage in a standard sailing vessel.

The diagram on the small scrap of paper doesn't appear anywhere on the map, nor does it resemble anywhere on the map.

26. - Top - End - #146

Crow

Watching the Elves board from up in the rigging, Crow peered into the fog hoping the dragon stayed well away from the ship
    Still here, just a little busy to social post

You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til you understand who's in ruttin' command here. ~ Jayne Cobb

Spoiler
    Show

Avatars by: drKarling, The_Chilli_God and The_Chilli_God

27. - Top - End - #147
    Troll in the Playground

Osprey

Osprey gathers up his materials and heads up to the deck to Trader's cabin.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

28. - Top - End - #148

Jack Trader

Jack turns to the crewmen with the weapons.

"Follow me to my cabin, we will store the weapons there for maximum care and security"

He sets off for his cabin, calling to the rest of the crew as he walks.

"Make the ship ready for immediate departure!"

29. - Top - End - #149
    Troll in the Playground

Gwen

Now that the passengers are taken care of, Gwen finds Osprey, the navigator, to discuss the current weather. The fog covers the harbor and we'll need to use all available navigation guides to get out of the harbor safely. The fog should burn off late morning, and is probably restricted to the coastline and the harbor. Once we're out in open sea, the weather will improve.
    Last edited by wxdruid; 2008-09-17 at 05:55 AM.
    Avi by Elder Tsofu
    Inner Circle

30. - Top - End - #150
    Troll in the Playground

Osprey

Osprey nods to Gwen as she comes to his cabin, he seems to be in the process of gathering up his charts. "If we leave within the hour we can still catch the tide out of the harbor, I have a preliminary course, but tell me... is this of any familiarity to you?" He unrolls the elves' chart. "This is in Sarlonese... and there is a river here in the Skyraker Claws that isn't on any of my charts."
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald