New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Misconceptions of Medieval Times in Media

Quote Originally Posted by Narmoth View Post
    In Eastern Europe (Slovakia, Poland and those states) the king was elected by the nobles.
    In 1573 first time, it's not medieval anymore by any theory.

How much less effective was chain mail as opposed to plate?
    It was just as impossible to cut, but that's all. Links could break beacuse of heavy strikes, it was quite reasonably easy to puncture with heavy stab, and most importatly, it offered no resistance to force of any strike. Searchhere for "Bastard sword on maile" and "Cut on the Maile". Interesting reasults - some ruptured flesh, even though maile is of course not.

Of course, exceptionaly solid mail could offer protection against thrusts, and even to some strikes, but then it was really heavy. If you wanted to be somewhat better protected against blunt trauma, you had to use really massive gambeson which was rather clumsy thing to wear.
    The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
    Rush in and die, dogs—I was a man before I was a king.

Whoever makes shoddy beer, shall be thrown into manure - town law from Gdańsk, XIth century.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    *crusade stuff*
    I give you an "F" for effort, and advise you (and anybody else interested) to get hold of a copy of The Crusades by Jonathan Riley-Smith. It is an excellent introduction to a complex subject area.
    Last edited by Matthew; 2008-06-19 at 07:57 AM.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Narmoth View Post
    Actually, the bondsman system that you are talking about wasn't in place before the 16th century, on the end of Ivan the 4th's reign. Before that, the peasants could switch noble once a year.
    Before that again (800-1300 at least) the peasants paid tribute to their nobleman overlord, but owned the land themselves.
    You are right, but they were still worse off than our farmers were.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    I give you an "F" for effort, and advise you (and anybody else interested) to get hold of a copy of The Crusades by Jonathan Riley-Smith. It is an excellent introduction to a complex subject area.
    I prefer the Terry Jones documentary series

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    I prefer the Terry Jones documentary series
    Heh, heh. I would definitely recommend staying away from anything purportedly written by Terry Jones. In my opinion, he is an entertaining storyteller, but not a good historian. I watched his crusade series when it first aired over here, and being about fifteen at the time, I believed everything he said. At university, I was gutted when I found out how much disinformation it contained. My first encounter with the unreliability of television history.

I quite enjoyed his more recent Medieval Lives, but being less familiar with the events he portrayed, I cannot speak to the veracity (though I seem to recall noticing a fair number of questionable assertions).
    Last edited by Matthew; 2008-06-19 at 08:47 AM.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

6. - Top - End - #66
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Swordguy View Post
    <snip>
    There's a reason why wrestling and the employment of daggers while doing so is a very LARGE part of historical fighting.
    this would make sense if everyone was fully armoured but weren't full suits of plate extremely hard to make, not to mention expensive, meaning that most knights wore a mix of plate over their vitals and maille on the limbs?

7. - Top - End - #67
    Banned

The misconceptions that irritate me the most? People who read something on the internet, or took one or two history courses and suddenly feel the need to "correct" people with a doctorate or dispute long term, well known facts based on what they have read/heard. The sheer amount of wrong in this thread is staggering.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Troll in the Playground

The misconceptions that irritate me the most? People who read something on the internet, or took one or two history courses and suddenly feel the need to "correct" people with a doctorate or dispute long term, well known facts based on what they have read/heard. The sheer amount of wrong in this thread is staggering.
    Feel free to join the conversation. What exactly have you seen that is wrong?

P.S. I've seen professors with doctorates get stuff wrong. It happens to the best of us.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Banned

The thread is already full of people correcting each other without my adding anything in. It's just a bit of a pet peeve of mine when people give out misinformation as fact. This is how misinformation spreads.

However, on second thought, I suppose these forums aren't really the place for in depth historical analysis, and people are just trying to enjoy themselves by chatting. I apolgize if I came off a bit rudely before.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    Heh, heh. I would definitely recommend staying away from anything purportedly written by Terry Jones. In my opinion, he is an entertaining storyteller, but not a good historian. I watched his crusade series when it first aired over here, and being about fifteen at the time, I believed everything he said. At university, I was gutted when I found out how much disinformation it contained. My first encounter with the unreliability of television history.

I quite enjoyed his more recent Medieval Lives, but being less familiar with the events he portrayed, I cannot speak to the veracity (though I seem to recall noticing a fair number of questionable assertions).
    Admittedly I am in no way an expert on the Crusades, but what I do know don't really make me feel the need to "correct" common picture of them. As I said above they might have been benificial to Europe, and that we should be glad for, but it doesn't make them any less bloody, or any more morally right.

Sweden's economical, military and cultural growth was accellerated by several 100% by the 30 year war, but I would not argue that clensing the germanic states from Holy Roman Catholics was the right thing to do.

That's all I'm really saying, regarding the crusades.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheElfLord View Post
    Although this can be taken too far. I read an interesting piece once that argued that due to the lack of sugar in past diets, people's teeth would not be as bad as generally thought.

The thing that really gets me is the protagonist with modern ideas. "The class system is unfair, all religions deserve equal respect" etc.
    Well they have to have that in for protagonists, because it's the choice between having a protagonist with morals that people agree with, and therefore like, or having the book historically accurate.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Apelord69 View Post
    Well they have to have that in for protagonists, because it's the choice between having a protagonist with morals that people agree with, and therefore like, or having the book historically accurate.
    Also, are we talking about "Real Medieval Story(tm)" or are we talking about "Historical Fantasy"(tm).

13. - Top - End - #73
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    your pretty much doing the exact same thing, feeling the need to correct people who are wrong, when you don't have any qualifications yourself. Only difference, you don't actually correct anyone but still
    from
    EE

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

The thread is already full of people correcting each other without my adding anything in. It's just a bit of a pet peeve of mine when people give out misinformation as fact. This is how misinformation spreads.

However, on second thought, I suppose these forums aren't really the place for in depth historical analysis, and people are just trying to enjoy themselves by chatting. I apolgize if I came off a bit rudely before.
    We don't mind you saying so, but making the claim without specific quotes, why they're wrong, and the sources to back it up is somewhat annoying.

Jump on in and defend your position!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin
    Thus, knowing none of us are Sun Tzu or Napoleon or Julius Caesar...
    No, but Swordguy appears to have studied people who are. And took notes.
    "I'd complain about killing catgirls, but they're dead already. You killed them with your 685 quadrillion damage." - Mikeejimbo, in reference to this

15. - Top - End - #75
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Terraoblivion View Post
    8. Nothing ever freaking change. I don't so much refer to how it is a big mash-up of all medieval periods in Hollywood as it is the view that the middle ages were a static period without significant social change. Apart from the evolution of Christian theology and the constant creep to the east of European culture, there was the rebuilding of the European trade network that broke down in late Roman times and the evolution of such typically western concepts as citizenship and monogamous, lifelong marriages as the only acceptable lifestyle. And then comes the technological advances, which, even if we discount the dark ages, ran the span from developing the wheeled plow to creating clockwork and ocean going vessels. Really, the middle ages were a dynamic period as is to be expected for something lasting that long.
    Those things happened over centuries. From the point of view of an individual, nothing ever freaking changed during the Middle Ages and, in fact, all ages but the modern.

16. - Top - End - #76

What annoys me the most is that peasants in movies are alway covered in crap all over. Yes, they may be poor, but surely they would wash their faces once in a while.
    Bad to the Bone!
    Miko Miyazaki : Strip #120 - #464 : R.I.P.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

No, that's actually right. There are some writings (don't remember the source, but can find it) of some monk in england, where he tells that the native girls prefered vikings to the locals, as the viking traders (not the plunderers) actually washed.
    check out my metal band: http://www.facebook.com/Dreamslain

Wash: "Sweetie, we're crooks. If everything were right, we'd be in jail."

18. - Top - End - #78
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Miklus View Post
    What annoys me the most is that peasants in movies are alway covered in crap all over. Yes, they may be poor, but surely they would wash their faces once in a while.
    Last edited by Solo; 2008-06-20 at 06:21 PM.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Banned

Of course they happened over a long period of time, Eerie. What i was in fact referring to is that the media tends to side with the people of the Italian renaissance who claimed that nothing of any importance in the fields of art, science or technology happened in the middle ages. And that is simply not true. Lots of important stuff happened in the middle ages, even if they did at a slower pace than in the 19th, 20th and 21st centuries. However, compared to most periods before that the middle ages were no more or less dynamic.

Also i chose only to mention major things that would actually seem important as far removed in time from the events as this. The middle ages also had quickly changing fashion trends for example and the exact relationships between tenants and their noble landlords could sometimes fundamentally change several times in the span of a single life. Things also changed on a smaller scale and quite quickly at that, it would just require a lot of documentation to show it because it is small enough that people don't usually pay attention to it.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ettin in the Playground

Generally refering to what Terraoblivion and others are saying the misconception that irritates me is treating medieval people (although it fits almost anything else) like some idiots or something, beacuse, yay, they didn't have fridges. And general judging things that people once do by the standards that are logical in other times (usualy modern times ).
    The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
    Rush in and die, dogs—I was a man before I was a king.

Whoever makes shoddy beer, shall be thrown into manure - town law from Gdańsk, XIth century.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Banned

We don't mind you saying so, but making the claim without specific quotes, why they're wrong, and the sources to back it up is somewhat annoying.

Jump on in and defend your position!
    But I don't need to point out specific examples. The thread is already full of people correcting fallacies. You've done it yourself.

Also EE, I'm actually quite qualified to teach History. At least according to the University of Tennessee. One of the reasons I get so frustrated by things like this. Half the job of teaching is dispelling people's preconcieved notions about these things. The internet is at the same time the greatest and worst thing in education.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Banned

I hope none of the fallacious information you refer to is mine, my teacher of medieval history at the University of Aarhus would feel bad. I only need the Chinese part to get my degree in history and Chinese, the history part being comprehensive and designed to give an overview of most basic parts of history, with some topics being a closer focus. The late middle ages in Scandinavia happened to be one of the topics i got as a better focus.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EvilElitest View Post
    your pretty much doing the exact same thing, feeling the need to correct people who are wrong, when you don't have any qualifications yourself. Only difference, you don't actually correct anyone but still
    No, he's not doing the same thing.

He's pointing out that some people with a very narrow range of knowledge about a subject suddenly decide that they are in fact now qualified experts who don't have to take anyone else's opinions seriously.

Often, they don't know enough to evaluate the quality of the information they do have, which only makes things worse.

And he's right. It's irritating the way he put it, but definitely true. I've seen it happen here and elsewhere.
    My favorite exchange:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty
    If your idea of fun is to give the players whatever they want, then I suggest you take out a board game called: CANDY LAND and use that for your gaming sessions.
    Obviously, you have never known the frustration of being stranded in the Molasses Swamp.
    _______
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeavelli View Post
    Physics is a dame of culture and sophistication. She'll take you in, keep you warm at night, provide all kinds of insight into yourself and the world you never find on your own.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

But I don't need to point out specific examples. The thread is already full of people correcting fallacies. You've done it yourself.

Also EE, I'm actually quite qualified to teach History. At least according to the University of Tennessee. One of the reasons I get so frustrated by things like this. Half the job of teaching is dispelling people's preconcieved notions about these things. The internet is at the same time the greatest and worst thing in education.
    The vagueness of your original post called every post in this thread into question, which is why I asked for clarification.
    "I'd complain about killing catgirls, but they're dead already. You killed them with your 685 quadrillion damage." - Mikeejimbo, in reference to this

25. - Top - End - #85
    Banned

The vagueness of your original post called every post in this thread into question, which is why I asked for clarification.
    That certainly wasn't my intent. There is actually some very interesting information in this thread, including some things covering topics that I know very little about such as what Terra posted earlier.

I already apologized for the tone of that post once earlier, but I'll happily do so again.
    Last edited by Anteros; 2008-06-22 at 12:10 AM.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

That certainly wasn't my intent. There is actually some very interesting information in this thread, including some things covering topics that I know very little about such as what Terra posted earlier.

I already apologized for the tone of that post once earlier, but I'll happily do so again.
    Ah - I missed that, or just plain forgot. No offense intended your way, I assure you. *shakes on it amicably*

27. - Top - End - #87
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Joran View Post
    1) People with full-sets of teeth: Lack of dental care means that very few people in medieval times had a full-set of teeth.
    Er...that's largely wrong. Mediaeval people may not have had dental care, but they also didn't consume the vast quantities of refined sugar we do these days, so their teeth weren't under anything like as serious an attack (see some primitive tribes for examples). It was the high-class Elizabethans who all had bad teeth due to the combination of massive amounts of sugar in the diet and poor dentistry.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Orc in the Playground

Presuming we are talking about Europe when we refer to the medieval period as a whole, not just in Europe, then a common misconception is that in Japan, the Katana was the main weapon used in war. If we are to believe first hand sources, (Kōyō Gunkan) Katanas were rarely used in actually combat. The Bow was the primary source of wounds, followed by the spear.
    "Stand together men, for we are the only defenders of this glade until spring arrives, heralding the return of our Lord and the Wild Hunt," Relar Sorin, Lord of the Tower of Eternal Winter and Eternal Guard Leader

29. - Top - End - #89
    Colossus in the Playground

Yes, I believe Samurai way is referred to as "The Way of Horse and Bow"

30. - Top - End - #90

What people are looking for is not your qualifications to dispel false information, but what the false information in this thread actually is. Everything in this thread can't be wrong because we have contradictory statements. Therefore what do you find wrong, and can you quote it?