New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 47 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The Lucky Penny - IC thread

"You are intelligent people. You are certainly aware by now that my motives for meeting with you extend beyond the refurbishment of your autodoc. You mistrust me. This is good. It would be foolish to trust someone you know so little about. I would not choose to work with fools."

"I wish to hire you to perform a task. If we can come to an agreement, I will refurbish your autodoc before you depart. Upon completion of the task, I will provide a monetary reward, in addition to expenses."
    She names a figure. It is about ten times what you would earn on a typical cargo run.

"Three Terran years ago, a Puppeteer was kidnapped. She projects a hologram of a Puppeteer, with blonde fur over most of its body and an elaborately groomed mane of different shades of blue fur. He had never dealt with humans prior to this, and therefore does not have a human name. You may refer to him as Chiron. It is a default name that some among us use who will not be in human space long enough to adopt a permanent name. Our agents hunted for him, but the trail went cold. We mourned his loss, believing him to have suicided rather than endure prolonged captivity."

"I have recently received intelligence that tells me Chiron may yet be alive. If true, this would be most joyful news. For the first time, I have enough information to outfit a mission to either rescue him or recover proof of his decease. I propose to hire you for this purpose. The reward will be doubled if he is returned alive."
    Last edited by happyturtle; 2008-07-01 at 01:28 PM.
    My avatar! Isn't it just utterly diabolical? Ashen Lilies made it!

"Money cannot buy health, but I'd settle for a diamond-studded wheelchair."
    ― Dorothy Parker

Spoiler: Interested in Nexus FFRP? Newcomers welcome!
    Show
    FFRP Faqs |Nexus Faqs | Nexus IRC Chat
    We're friendly! Join the fun!
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    (4d3)[1][3][1][1](6) Bluff (+3), Total result: +3-2=+1 Dan is totally caught, but the again, Nathan is, too.

Dan listens carefully to what Ambir has to say about Chiron. Everything sounds, at least intially, kosher to him. Passengers were less dangerous cargo to bring past the authorities, but more dangerous in terms of unpredicttability, and Pupeteers were cowards, so... it probably wouldn't be too difficult o keep an eye on him. One thing, however, caught his attention:
    "Wait - Disease?"
    Last edited by Thanatos 51-50; 2008-07-01 at 05:50 PM.
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me
    Red and the Phasmavore by LCP

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wizard_of_the_Coat View Post
    OOC @ thanatos5150
    Spoiler
    Show
    Are you sure you read correctly. It's Decease (meaning death), not disease (meaning illness) that she said.

I'll remove this post if you decide after you've been given the chance to correct your potential mistake
    Spoiler
    Show
    I had noted this right before I hit submit. It was, originally, a reading error. Lets just pretend Dan mis-heard Ambir. Its funier that way! Yay for Comic relief!
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me

4. - Top - End - #124
    Barbarian in the Playground

"Decease, Dan, two letter difference." Nathan corrected his friend, then proceeded to adres Ambir "Though I am intrigued that you now seem to play open card with us, I cannot help but wonder if this is yet another ruse. Certainly a resque sounds noble, but I would need more evidence then your word to validate such a mission, such as any previous attempts, potential dangers, including which factions are believed to be involved. In addition I want you to tell me your reasons of why you want him back and why you would hire and or trust us to do so rather then your own agents." Nathan's voice was business, cold almost, "You understand that without knowing that, it is hard for us to say if the mission would be worth our time."
    Last edited by Wizard of the Coat; 2008-07-01 at 06:46 PM.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Troll in the Playground

"I have observed that the five of you feel affection and loyalty to one another. You have formed a small herd. If it were one of yours who had been kidnapped, I am sure you would attempt a rescue, using all the means at your disposal."

"Damn straight we would," Lexi mutters.

"Our herds are much larger than yours, but we feel the same attachment to each member of them. If you ask Mark Wier to access historical records, he will find that there has never been a case where a Puppeteer in distress was abandoned to his fate."

"Certainly I would prefer to work with known associates rather than strangers. There is no time to summon them. The information about Chiron reached me due to a security breach within the organization that holds him. This breach will cause upheavals. He may be moved. He may be killed. I searched the profiles of everyone on We Made It, looking for humans who I believed might be capable of such a mission. And thus I found you."

"I will provide you with as much information as I can command. It is in my interest to do so, as the success of this mission is very important to me."

Lexi listens intently. The Puppeteer had broken an important rule of negotiation by revealing she was under a deadline. Mark had said that negotiating contracts was her job. So assume she wouldn't have made such an elementary mistake. She reveals it intentionally, because she doesn't care about the terms of the deal, as long as there is a deal, and quickly.

This was big. Way bigger than dodging customs or any other capers they'd been involved in. Too big? The thought of swooping in like the heroes of a holovid, making a daring rescue--that was exciting. What a rush that would be! Suddenly, she's very much in favour of accepting Ambir's proposal.
    Last edited by happyturtle; 2008-07-02 at 12:44 AM.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

6. - Top - End - #126
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Mark listens carefully to the exchange, all the while observing the Puppeteer closely. Although his face is emotionless, he sees this turn of events as potentially very fortuitous. Not only would the reward allow for extensive upgrades to the ship, but the mission might present a rare opportunity for the utilization of Mark's tactical flight combat abilities.

Spoiler
    Show

Awareness (+2): (4d3)[3][3][2][2](10) -> Superb (+4)

Checking truth of "...there has never been a case where a Puppeteer in distress was abandoned to his fate."

History (+0): (4d3)[2][2][3][3](10) -> Good (+2)
    Last edited by Paladin5; 2008-07-02 at 01:23 AM.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladin5 View Post
    Awareness (+2): [roll0] -> Superb (+4)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nothing unusual is occurring for you to be aware of. Well, nothing more unusual than a cyborg, a thief, and three psychics having a conversation with a two headed monster.

Checking truth of "...there has never been a case where a Puppeteer in distress was abandoned to his fate."

History (+0): [roll1] -> Good (+2)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Now, would Ambir lie to you about something you could verify so easily? As far as your records reach, you can confirm this statement.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

8. - Top - End - #128

Nathan leans back in his chair and though his eyes are open he isn't quite looking at the present. Instead he probes the future about the immage of Chiron. Will he see the likeness again and under what circumstances. These thoughs stream through his mind as he untangles the webbed strands that are forming the future.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    precog (4d3)[3][1][2][1](7)

EDIT: Result: Great -1 = Good
    Last edited by Wizard of the Coat; 2008-07-02 at 04:47 AM.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Troll in the Playground

"I do not know what trauma Chiron may have suffered. I will provide you with Puppeteer medical supplies, as well as an anti-grav belt in case he should be immobile." Lexi's eyes grow wide. She has always longed for an anti-grav belt, but could never afford one. "If there are other supplies you require, I will procure them if I can do it quickly. Preparation time must be minimal. The intelligence I have is not extensive, though I hope to have learned more before your departure."

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ettin in the Playground

Dan nodded along with Ambir's suggestion.
    He was even more amiable to taking this cause up than before, when he mis-heard the Pupetteer.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Happyturtle: Permission to sig your comment about a cyborg, thief, and three psychics having a conversation with a two-headed monster?
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me

11. - Top - End - #131
    Troll in the Playground

Lexi looks around at her companions, trying to tell if they are as inclined to acceptance as she is.

ooc:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Going to roll on Telepathy here. Lexi doesn't know she's telepathic--she thinks she's just getting a read on people in a mundane way. It won't work on Mark because his mind is too different, or Nathan, because he has psychic defences. (I'm trying to work out a psychic defence score, to be derived from your total ranks in psychic skills... maybe total ranks / 3 or something? I haven't had a chance to play with the numbers yet.) So she can really only ever read Dan and Kerouac.

(4d3)[2][3][1][3](9) Telepathy +1 = +2 Good

Okay, so she can tell Dan's keen on the idea. Will hold off on Kerouac for now, until he gets a chance to post.

Dan wants to say yes, Lexi realized. So does Kerouac. She almost blurted out an acceptance right then. If it had been a smaller job, she would have--she tended to follow her impulses, and usually the crew had never objected--but this was too damn big, and Nathan was still unconvinced.

"Where is Chiron being held? What part of Known Space?" Lexi asked.

"Blue Sky. I cannot provide more details until we come to an agreement."

Blue Sky. A human world then. For some reason (probably the influence of the vids) she had imagined the kidnappers as Kzinti. Blue Sky was near Kzinti space though, which was why it was the most heavily militarized world in Human Space. Heavily populated too. Many Terrans who had been denied a birthright on Earth ended up on Blue Sky. It would have been a popular choice anyway, with its earthlike gravity and climate. But unlike some of the other colony worlds, there were no restrictions on immigration and no Fertility Board. For whatever reason, Blue Sky wanted a high population.

Lexi had never been to Blue Sky. But she already knew she would hate it. She'd weigh six times what she ought to--every step, every breath an effort.

"What would they want with a Puppeteer?" she asked.

"That information is not available to me. I can only speculate that they hope to recover technological secrets. Perhaps the General Products hull."

ooc:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dan, feel free to sig anything you like.
    Last edited by happyturtle; 2008-07-03 at 12:52 AM.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

12. - Top - End - #132
    Bugbear in the Playground

Kerouac isn't saying much of anything. To him, the situation is pretty cut-and-dry. Somebody needs them, they're the right people for the job, and they're getting something out of it to boot.

Sure, they could all die horribly, but it's not like that had ever stopped them.

"All the way to Blue Sky, huh? So how much time do we have until we leave?" he asks. "I just got this idea and if we've got a couple hours maybe I could tune up the ... " His voice drops to a mumble and he starts sketching a diagram out on a scrap piece of paper.
    Click here for whining.

Click here for kitten.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Troll in the Playground

"If we can reach an agreement, I hope you will leave within 24 hours. I have prepared a draft contract," Ambir says, and offers Nathan an electronic tablet. You can scroll through the text of the contract, and there is a stylus for making amendments. It's a familiar device, one that you've often used. You can beam the information to the ship's computer if you like, or to the personal handheld computers of anyone in the crew who carries one. (Lexi always has hers on her, and of course Mark is his own computer.)

As you look over the contract, looking for any red flags, the biggest surprise seems to be how few red flags there are. This is not what your professor said Puppeteer contracts were like. The two things that get your attention however are these:

"The autodoc of the Lucky Penny shall be upgraded with proprietary technology. After upgrade, autodoc is not to be sold to any third party. If Lucky Penny is sold, autodoc shall be removed and either retained by Alexandria Temple and/or crew, or offered to Ambir for purchase. No third party shall be permitted to examine autodoc without prior authorization by Ambir."

"This contract shall remain in force until one of the following events occurs: a) The recovery of the Puppeteer herein referred to as 'Chiron' b) Conclusive evidence of Chiron's death is obtained c) The death of Alexandria Temple and every member of her crew. If contract extends longer than 60 days, parties will be paid a per diem stipend."
    Last edited by happyturtle; 2008-07-03 at 01:38 AM.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

14. - Top - End - #134
    Troll in the Playground

"What do you mean by 'proprietary technology'?" Lexi asked.

"I intend to use Puppeteer nanotechnology to upgrade your autodoc," Ambir said. "There are many factions who would desire to claim it."

"Then why give it to us?" Lexi was remembering her conversation with Nathan about the dangers of a compromised autodoc. She wasn't crazy about the idea of Puppeteer nanonmachines in her bloodstream.

"It is the most efficient method to produce the desired result. Using human technology, it would take weeks for me to reprogram your autodoc to treat Mark Wier. In addition, the upgrade will allow your autodoc to repair any carbon-based animal life form. Chiron will be able to use it."

Lexi stared at Ambir in disbelief. "Any species...? That's not possible."

"Not with human technology."

"You're saying I could stick a dolphin or a Kzinti or a Kdatylno in there, and it would be healed?"

"That is correct."

"Wow." She'd had no idea Puppeteer medical technology was so advanced. "And it will be safe? It won't mess with our minds?"

"Not unless it should diagnose you with mental illness."

"And who decides what 'mental illness' is?"

"The diagnostic software, of course, Alexandria Temple," Ambir says, sounding exasperated. Being an alien, she must have put that tone in her voice deliberately. "Human diagnostic software. If you were sane by Puppeteer standards, you would be completely unsuited for this mission. If you were sane by Puppeteer standards, you would each be on your homeworld and would never have left. It is not in my interest to alter your minds." She taps on her computer. "However, I will provide assurance." Text is added to the contract stating that the autodoc will not attempt mental alterations except as indicated by mental illness, as defined by the latest edition of the diagnostic software issued by the Interworld Medical Association headquartered on Earth.

"Time grows short,"
    she says. "What further assurances do you require?"
    Last edited by happyturtle; 2008-07-04 at 06:26 PM.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

15. - Top - End - #135
    Troll in the Playground

ooc:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm going to npc Nathan since we haven't seen Coat in two days. Hopefully he'll turn up soon.

Nathan and Ambir spend some time going over the contract until Nathan is satisfied with it. In particular, he changes the termination clause to state that the contract will end in 60 days, whether or not Chiron has been recovered, and can be re-negotiated at that point. Ambir accepts this change, as it is clear that Nathan is not going to sign the contract otherwise. When the negotiations are complete, you each signify your acceptance via voice recording, which is standard for legal contracts. If there is ever a question later, the voice patterns can be analysed to prove that the parties were not impaired or under duress.

After you have a contract, Ambir gives you more details. The Blue Sky military R&D division are holding Chiron. Recently, they encountered a security breach, in which one of their bioweapons was stolen, along with its accompanying test data.

The day of the raid, an anonymous user posted several, vague files, to the Hypernet, focusing on chat rooms that took an interest in current events. He hit three, all well used, with high traffic. These files were vague, but gave lists of experimental subjects, basic bio-details, and the project briefs.

I have obtained documentation from the Blue Sky Military's internal system. I have broken the encoding, but you will see, the files are genuine.

.... [static]

They make for grim reading. Such things must not escape the public eye.

Bring the light. Show the Truth. Spread the word..... [static]

The Watcher.
    Within those files there was a single reference to a Puppeteer prisoner. The bioweapon's handlers were asked to take their prototype to Citygate Building to assist in an interrogation. The fully armed prototype was locked up with the Puppeteer prisoner for 5 hours, with its only orders being that it was not to harm the prisoner in any way, or to tell it that those were the orders. The exercise was a failure for the interrogators, in that the prisoner found the bioweapon interesting rather than frightening, and even spoke to it, but from the point of view of the bioweapon's handlers, the prototype performed satisfactorily.

Given the capabilities of the bioweapon, Ambir believes that any normal Puppeteer should have been terrified into catatonia. The fact that Chiron was not is evidence that he is probably completely insane. The portable first aid kit contains a cuff to be wrapped around one of the Puppeteers necks, through which the computer can quickly perform a diagnostic. If it determines Chiron to be dangerous, it will immediately sedate him. Unfortunately, further data on Chiron's captivity is unavailable. It was only a fluke that the bioweapon interacted with Chiron at all.

Ambir has contracted with the insider on Blue Sky who provided the information. He will rendezvous with you on Scrapheap asteroid to offer his assistance. He has floorplans of Citygate Building and information about Blue Sky's defences.

She concludes by asking Kerouac to accompany her to her residence to collect her tools and supplies.

ooc:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Anyone who wants a private conversation with Ambir over the next 24 hours can have one. Mark, you can assume that yours takes place after the Penny has been restored to flight capabilities. Use PM, or if you'd rather, you can email me at

2. Ambir will be working on the 'doc for several hours. Anyone who wanted to break into her house can give it a try.

3. Ambir is leaving the operational planning of the mission up to you, but is supplying whatever gear you need that she can access. Since Nathan is precognitive, you can assume as players that you have everything you need. If you get to a point in the mission where you think 'Gee, if I only had three yellow roses and a wind up mouse...' then you'll have them, because Nathan realized they'd come in handy. In addition to this, she's providing Blue Sky military uniforms for each of you, being created by a computerized fabricator/sewing machine. It includes a layer of impact armour that will stop bullets. Hopefully they don't shoot you in the head...

4. Dan, Lexi asks for some shooting lessons.

5. I'll try to get the map of the dungeon Citygate Building, obtained from Lucius, up over the weekend so you can make plans. Keep in mind that the party can split up into as many groups as you want, because unlike at a tabletop game, I can run them all at the same time.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ettin in the Playground

Dan voiced his assent in the contracted in the briefest of words.
    "I, the human flatlander known as Dan Freeboot, hereby assent to the terms and conditions of the contrct laid out with the crew of Lucky Penny and the Pierson's Pupeteer known as Ambir."
    After this, he returns to his quarters and gathers some of his shadier equipment. Tere was no way a flatlander was going to blend in with all these albinos, so he'd just have to look... as unobtrusive as possible.
    "Shutter Bug, got a sec?" he asks Kerouac when he sees him in the passageway, after he returns from gethering supplies from Ambir.[hr]Assuming Kerouac follows, Dan asks for the location of Ambir's residence.
    Spoiler
    Show
    If Kerouac doesn't show, I'll post something else.
    [hr]"Lex, baby, I'll give you some lessons in a few hours, I saw this one bar in town with some liekly-looking victims. I wanna check the place out for a bit. We're getting underway tomorrow, right? Plenty of time!"
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me

17. - Top - End - #137
    Troll in the Playground

ooc:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The location is pretty easily available, given that Ambir is the only Puppeteer on the planet. I think we can assume Dan can get his hands on the info pretty easily, and you can go ahead and get started if you want. And there are plenty of flatlander immigrants, so you won't be too too conspicuous. Crashlanding City is an underground city, so your urban stealth applies.

BTW, Everyone's Aspects have refreshed.

Lex rolls her eyes. "Dan, in case you didn't notice, we're not hurting for stars anymore." But she's not really trying to stop you. She never has before. "Be careful, 'kay?"

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

18. - Top - End - #138

Kerouac rolls his eyes. "Not a chance! Look, Ambir is a fine person. I don't understand why you're all so paranoid. And I doubt you'd gain much by breaking in. If you want to, I guess there's nothing I can do about it, but I'm not going to help you."

"Also," he adds, "is this just because she was so nervous around you before? I asked her about that. It's nothing. She did background checks beforehand, and, for obvious reasons, she couldn't find out anything about you. I explained to her that you had been living off the grid for most of your life, and also that you weren't a bad guy, and she calmed down a lot."
    Click here for whining.

Click here for kitten.

19. - Top - End - #139

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry for my absence, but I could barely log into the boards for the past day.

Still an other small change that I'd like to make is that termination of the contract as stipulated in clause X refers to the recovery of Charon and would not cause us to lose any payment, equipment (like the autodoc) or other benifits that we would have gained under it such as a full reimpursement of expenses made in pursuitof our mission.

Nathan would looks over any other clauses that indicate if and how Ambir will remain updated on the mission and how communications should be arranged. (he probably wouldn't change them, but he's interested in seeing how she's going to keep tabs on them, in part as it might help with the upcomming escapade oif him and Dan)

Nathan was eager to leave the ship soon after the contract had been negotiated, but paused to talk to Ambir as she was about to leave herself.

"Ambir, I must say that I am intrigued by working with you and Chiron, but do wonder about one thing. If Chiron is indeed insane he should naturally be treated for it. It may however also lead to him not trusting other humans such as us at all. To ensure we can still bring him back without harming him I'd have to ask you about some means to do so. For instance humanity has mercy bullets to make sure that we don't have to use lethal force. I am sure that puppeteers must have acces to such means and would be happy if you could provide us with some in case his insanity makes our job difficult."

He looks somewhat concerned as he asks her this, as if he dreads the prospect of this turning into a reality. Though he waits on her answer he is not going to argue with her if she disagrees and soon afterwards departs to his room to prepare to go out with Dan on their enterprize opening one of his closets to take out a small backpack containing numerous items that he could use to disguise himself or another. It looked innocuous and worn enough to be worn without raising to much suspicion, yet Nathan felt it would help to use this on his self assigned mission.

Leaving a few minutes after Ambir he leaves the ship without a word going to a nearby bar where Dan would be able to meet him, often it was better not to make excuses and just be back in time and it wasn't like they needed him for engineering in any case.

OOC to all
    Spoiler
    Show
    Can I assume we all have the equivalent of communicators or mobile phones or something on us, preferably (especially in Nathan's case) the kind that would have layer upon layer of securityto prevent people hacking it and listening in and the option to go 'of the grid'.
    Last edited by Wizard of the Coat; 2008-07-04 at 01:20 PM.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Troll in the Playground

@ Nathan: "Such methods do exist, but they are only used by law enforcement on our homeworld. Since I am the only Puppeteer on this planet, I do not have any need for them."

@ Lexi: Ambir sets to work on the autodoc. Lexi accompanies her, as she spent just enough time in medical school to know a bit about the technology, but she's soon out of her depth. She's pretty much able to provide assistance by opening panels and passing Ambir tools, and that's about it. She does however, ask Ambir to stop calling her by her full name, and address her as Lexi, and Ambir complies.

"So, um, tell me to shut up if it's none of my business, but you referred to Chiron as 'he'. But his shape is similar to yours. Are you male or female?" Lexi asks.

"Neither," Ambir answers. "My species has three sexes. I used the masculine pronoun for Chiron merely for convenience sake, as your language does not provide a gender neutral pronoun. Chiron and I are not the same sex, so you may think of me as female if it makes you more comfortable."

ooc:
    Spoiler
    Show
    @Kerouac: see your PM for what happened at Ambir's place

@Nathan: You do not have any difficulty getting the changes made to the contract that you suggested. As for communications, daily updates by hyperwave are requested, with allowances made for contact interruptions in case of necessity or emergency.

And yes, secure communications among the crew are available. Probably looks like a bluetooth earpiece, but smaller and sleeker, and it makes a temporary secure bond to the skin so it doesn't fall off. They aren't normally very secure, but Mark could easily have added that.
    Last edited by happyturtle; 2008-07-04 at 03:52 PM.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ettin in the Playground

To Kerouac:
    "Well, okay... that makes sense." Dan relents. "Thanks... that means I can actually spend some time having fun at the bar, too, eh?" Freeboot winks at this last line, and lets a childish grin smear itself across his face.
    He leaves immediatly afterwords for his conversation with Lexi
    Spoiler
    Show
    Can I out-bluff the Empath? (4d3)[2][1][2][1](6)

To Lexi:
    "Stars are... a secondary priority. We're about to get underway again, and I wanna spend some time with a woman thats slightly more responsive than an Ice Sculpture. Unless you're willing to thaw a bit..." the thief, once again, somehow manages to make this sentance flirtacious and endearing.
    He then tips his fedora and makes an exagertaded "gentlemanly" bow, obvious copied from from the vids.

To Nathan:
    Freeboot pats the First Mate on the back. "Hey, you still owe me that brewski, 'member?" he jests as his other hand attatches his personal bluetooth (flesh-colored!) "I know just the bar, too!"
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me

22. - Top - End - #142
    Troll in the Playground

ooc:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Can I out-bluff the Empath? (4d3)[2][1][2][1](6)
    Not with that roll! You are so busted.

"Unless you're willing to thaw a bit..."
    "Another time, love. Some of us have to work for a living."

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

23. - Top - End - #143

"Dan." Kerouac crosses his arms and gives him a murderous look as he disappears after Lexi, calling after him,"Trained. Psychic. Remember? Also, my IQ 's not in the single digits, dumbass."

He catches up with him as he's leaving the ship and says, "Listen, don't do anything stupid. Why don't we just go out drinking (for real, obviously), get moderately trashed, and forget about this whole business for a night? God knows when we'll get the chance again."
    Click here for whining.

Click here for kitten.

24. - Top - End - #144

Nathan gave Dan the benifit of half a nod to confirm his request for a drink, signaling him to lead the way.

"We'd be happy to have you come along Kerouac, but I do suppose that you've got to help out with the modifications or otherwise spend some time adjusting the ships systems. Remember there is plenty of stuff that needs a tune up before this thing aint a deathtrap anymore." Nathan says to the mechanic as he catches up with them in a happy and welcoming tone, but ends up sounding like a parent who'd feel 'disapointed' if he didn't do his chores. "Just give us a call when you and Ambir are done and we'll meet up with you for a last night of revelry"
    Last edited by Wizard of the Coat; 2008-07-05 at 04:44 AM.

25. - Top - End - #145

"Of course, of course, Kerouac nods. "So, after me and my lovely assistant Dan are done fulfilling our engineering duties, we'll catch up with you."
    Click here for whining.

Click here for kitten.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

"I suggest," says Mark walking into the conversation, "that ... instead of ... spending the ... 24 hour preparation ... period becoming intoxicated ... or," Mark adds looking at Nathan and Dan, "in even ... less productive activities, it ... would be advisable to ... begin ... operational planning and the .... procurement of any ... necessary ... materials."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

Mark has downloaded all mission details into his memory banks.

I assume more details are forthcoming.

He then hands Dan a datapad and says that, "I have ... listed a series of ... adjustments to the ship ... that you and ... Mr. Kerouac ... can perform."

Spoiler
    Show

The list consists of pretty minor tweaks to the ship. A chemical thruster slightly off in orientation, a loose maneuvering surface, a hydraulic line with slightly low pressure, etc. It should take at least a few hours though.
    Last edited by Paladin5; 2008-07-05 at 11:41 PM.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Troll in the Playground

In the clinic: While working with Ambir, Lexi has the computer play some of her favourite music. Soon she is singing along--not brilliantly, but she's on key at least.

"My hands are shaky and my knees are weak
    I can't seem to stand on my own two feet
    Who do you thank when you have such luck?
    I'm in love
    I'm all shook up
    Mm mm oh, oh, yeah, yeah!"

"I have not heard that before. Is it Lunie music?" Ambir asks.

"No, it's Terran. The singer was the King of Terra. I guess it was before the UN."

"Lexi, Terra was never ruled by a single king. You must mean the sovereign of a particular nation state."

Lexi crinkled up her face. "Oh hell, I don't know. I sort of flunked Terran History. That was the year that Jorge Ashford's family immigrated from Earth, and he already knew it all, so we cut class together a lot." She grinned. "He was my first flatlander. They aren't terribly limber, but mmmm... those muscles...." She is lost in a moment's reverie. "Anyway, he was into antique music, and that's when I first heard King Presley."

Spoiler
    Show
    Don't go too hard on Lexi... how much detail do you remember about bards from 600 years ago?
    Last edited by happyturtle; 2008-07-05 at 05:01 PM.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ettin in the Playground

Dan freezes as his companions prevent him from leaving, listening with a (mostly) even head to their disputes.
    He was caught, most definatly, and there was no way to weasel out of it.

He snatched the datapad from Mark's hands in one quick, angry otion.
    "Okay, fine, you got me. I hereby, promise, on my... well, theres really nothing I can swear on to make you guys believe me...
    I will not, however, force my way into Ambir's residence.
    As for these repairs..."

Spoiler
    Show
    Dan is telling the truth, for you Empaths in the audiance. However, here is a bluff check: (4d3)[3][1][1][2](7) to pass the fact the an "Open window" does not constitute "forced entrance"
    Invoking: Con-man (x2) to increase all die rolls by one, making the total ++ Nil Nil.
    +3 Bluff +2 Dice = +5 total.
    "Thisisatagtestpleaseignore" - (4d3)[2][1][1][3](7)

Dan's quick eyes scan the contents of the datapad.
    "External systems only. The rest can be taken care of after we're underway. It'll pass the time.
    Also - Nathan and/or Mark, do you know what type of guns Blue Sky Military carries? I can see if I can tap into the Crashlander Black Market for similar arms. If we're going to blend it, it should be worth the stars. If you're worried that I'll use it as an excuse to break in, let Lexi come with me. She asked me for shooting practice, anyway."
    Last edited by Thanatos 51-50; 2008-07-06 at 06:00 AM.
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me

29. - Top - End - #149
    Troll in the Playground

ooc:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Bluff roll is good enough, unless people want to try and roll to see if they detect it. Might have trouble finding windows in an underground city though.

2. Nathan would have pretty detailed files on the military capabilities of human worlds, so he can tell you what you want to know. Mark can also get the information, though Nathan's files will be more in depth than what is easily available.

3. Lexi will be fine to go with you. She's figured out by now that Ambir doesn't need her help, and that she doesn't have a hope in hell of working out whether Ambir is corrupting the 'doc in some way.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

30. - Top - End - #150

Kerouac is more or less satisfied with that. "Right, take Lexi if you go. It'll get her out of Ambir's hair. And God knows you two have been itching to spend some time alone, haven't you? I'm going to get started on these repairs."
    Click here for whining.

Click here for kitten.