New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Kung Fu Panda

1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Kung Fu Panda

I just saw Kung Fu Panda the other day, and I have to say it was a really good movie. I thought it was going to be more of a spoof movie, but it was able to be funny and serious at the same time. The turtle Oogway was definately my favorite character. He had some nice quotes, such as "Yesterday's history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That's why they call it the present." Big Movie Spoiler:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The saddest part was when Oogway died, but it was still a beautiful scene.
    No matter how old or young you are, I highly advise going to see it.
    Yes. None of us have ever tampered with the fundamental natural order when bored. That would be wrong.

Personal assassain for House Kato.

Thanks to Sampi for the avatar.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Kung Fu Panda

Quote Originally Posted by prongs43 View Post
    "Yesterday's history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That's why they call it the present."
    I'm sorry, but this is perhaps the worst line in the entire movie, and it's the kind of thing that's an utter mockery of zen.

Anywho, there's one significant problem with the movie in that Po is lazy, untalented, and fat, yet becomes the great legendary dragon warrior becomes he believes in himself. Really, that's a horrible message. You should become great through hard-work and dedication, like all the other dragon warriors.
    Gnoll Paladin with Zanbatou Avatar by Oregano.

Homebrews:

Quote Originally Posted by ExHunterEmerald
    Incidentally, Armadillo, I'd suggest you were hit by a spark of inspiration, but that would knock your armor off.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

I enjoyed the movie. I do not think that Oogway's line is a mockery of zen, being a buddhist and a martial artist myself. I believe that that is a great line and I have always said it even before I saw the movie. It is a great and well known philosophy.

I also believe that the message the movie sends is an addequate messaage. Po becomes dedicated to change his life for the better through exercise, which is a great message, but is slightly tainted since we do not see the effect this could potentially have on his life, which is make his healthy and moderatly thin. If we saw him years later but healthy, the message would be complete. You just have to assume.

I will also advertise the movie. It is an extremly well done movie. My only criticism would be the many times they zoomed in on Po's butt, which was tolerable since it was in small doses, but it would have been a better movie if they didn't do it at all.

4 stars.
    Last edited by Green-Shirt Q; 2008-06-21 at 06:57 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4

Had fun with the movie personally.
    A well-placed bullet can stop anybody with an oversized sword.
    In real life that is.
    Everywhere else, you're screwed.

5. - Top - End - #5

DwarfClericGuy

The Q.

I agree however you seem to say that being over weight is wrong. Being unhealthy is not a good idea but its not wrong. Also Po being a panda bear is not exactly an animal that is known for having lean muscles. Last year I went to my friends black belt test for Tung Su Do (forgive me if I misspellled that). He is not a well toned mechine. Yet at the end of the day he was a black belt. There where quite afew peaple who you may consider over weight taking the test and passing. Being big does not matter being healthy is. If your a jolly fat boy then so be it. Because being happy with who you are does alot more for your health than eating nothing but a "healthy diet" or exersizing constantly.

The message of the movie was believe in your self, love the person you are. If you do, then you can acheave your goals in life. Also if there are things you dont like about yourself you can change them. The seed will still grow to be a peach tree but you deside whare it grows. In the end Po went back to help his father with the noodle hut. Well thats what it looked like to me. Why would he do this? Because Po loves food. Not just when hes upset. He likes to share it with others and see them having a good meal. Besides who said a kung fu master has to be some stoggy guy sitting on top of a mountan. He can be appart of the communety living among peaple. Honestly I think thats why the five where, for the most part, jack asses. They where arogent, spiteful, and totaly went against Oogways teachings in how they treated Po. Tygres imparticular.

yeah the pressent line was totaly cheesy. Its a line Ive heard afew times befor. But what the hell it fit, its a kids show, and its true. If I ever make a martal arts character for an RPG Im totaly going to moddle it off of Oogway. He was my favorite character.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

it also helps viewing it as a parody of most martial art movies. The idea of the one supreme warrior (who doesn't look like one) is very common. Look at kung-fu Hustle for an example

More importantly, what will the chinese think of this movie.
    "Stand together men, for we are the only defenders of this glade until spring arrives, heralding the return of our Lord and the Wild Hunt," Relar Sorin, Lord of the Tower of Eternal Winter and Eternal Guard Leader

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Hawriel.

I completly agree with your statment that being fat isn't wrong. Heck, I myself am overweight.

I was simpily saying that perhaps it may send a better message to the kids if Po became a muscular superman due to his kung fu training, so that it may show how exercise is important.

Of course, your statment is also valid. Po would probably not be happy being thin. And of course, the giant panda build isn't something he could probably change even if he wanted to. Giant pandas need to eat a lot to survive and they don't call them "giant" pandas for nothing, so your statment probably means more then mine.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Colossus in the Playground

in a British TV series; Happiness: one of the characters was the voice of a "kung fu nurse bear" So when I saw the poster I thought That looks very familiar. Not see movie yet though.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

I'm neither buddist nor a martial artist and I loved this movie. Generally these cartoon movies are 'really' stupid, and not even in a funny way. This broke that mold.

I about keeled over when he 'released' the souls of the entire Tenshu Army!

'Whooooa!'

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by The Vorpal Tribble View Post
    I'm neither buddist nor a martial artist and I loved this movie. Generally these cartoon movies are 'really' stupid, and not even in a funny way. This broke that mold.

I about keeled over when he 'released' the souls of the entire Tenshu Army!

'Whooooa!'
    Edit for spoilers, please...
    I play World of Warcraft, NeverWinter Nights, and First Life.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kojiro Kakita View Post
    it also helps viewing it as a parody of most martial art movies. The idea of the one supreme warrior (who doesn't look like one) is very common. Look at kung-fu Hustle for an example

More importantly, what will the chinese think of this movie.
    I agree. This movie felt like a kung-fu movie first, cartoon second.
    (I would have picked Drunken Master and not Kung-fu Hustle as your example, but they both work nicely )

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

I enjoyed the movie immensely, and Oogways quote was deep, but in a fun and open way (like it should be in any such upbeat cartoon) and I thought they would do more with the
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tigress becoming more like Tai Lung because of her obsession with being the Dragon Warrior and proving herself to Master Shifu
    thing
    Caesar Asmodeus by Andraste

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Pocketa View Post
    Edit for spoilers, please...
    It was about a 5 second clip with no relevance to the plot or basically anything in the movie.

The several time mention of ole Pan being the Dragon Master is much more of a spoiler.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ArmorArmadillo View Post
    I'm sorry, but this is perhaps the worst line in the entire movie, and it's the kind of thing that's an utter mockery of zen.
    You can't mock zen. I don't mean you shouldn't; I mean you can't.

Besides, that wasn't zen. That was dao. No, really, no pun intended.

Anywho, there's one significant problem with the movie in that Po is lazy...
    Wrong, as his father would tell you. Let's not forget how early he got started on his first day of training.

...untalented...
    Very wrong, as anyone who ate his cooking would tell you. The rest was just a matter of applying focus to a fantasy.

...and fat
    Not for a panda.

...yet becomes the great legendary dragon warrior becomes he believes in himself.
    Well, no, that's not right either, but that's a very common misinterpretation of the mystery behind the koan.

Really, that's a horrible message. You should become great through hard-work and dedication, like all the other dragon warriors.
    ...What other dragon warriors? Neither Shifu nor the Furious Five nor Tai Lung were dragon warriors. Hard work and dedication, virtues that they may be, can not make one a dragon warrior. They can even be obstacles, as proven by:

Spoiler
    Show
    Tai Lung, brought low by the desire to be the best. By nearly every materialist measure, he was the best. Twenty years chained to one spot did nothing to diminish his skills -- if anything, he'd spent the entire time mastering the very techniques that had subdued him in the first place. He was cunning, resourceful, single-minded, and relentless in pursuit of one goal.

But he could accept nothing less than his desire, which is not a virtue by Buddhist standards. Po, on the other hand, was Po. I don't properly understand what that means, but he did.

That's why he's the master, and I'm not.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by The Vorpal Tribble View Post
    It was about a 5 second clip with no relevance to the plot or basically anything in the movie.
    As Horton the Elephant would put it: "a spoiler's a spoiler no matter how small"
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    As Horton the Elephant would put it: "a spoiler's a spoiler no matter how small"
    Oh, come on. Vorple Tribble mentioned something about a brief scene that has no bearing on the plot in such a way that, unless you've seen it, won't mean anything. He said it was funny, but if you didn't see it, you won't know why.

It means as much as telling you that the word "existentialism" was used to amusing effect in Get Smart. It means less than telling someone that James Hong provided the voice for Po's father. It was a welcome surprise that I hadn't known before I went to see the film, but knowing that beforehand couldn't have ruined my enjoyment of the picture.

So seriously, "Whoaaaa!"

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

When I saw the previews for this movie I honestly flinched..... I mean it could be a good movie but my ego feels kind of bad..

*cringe*
    Avy by Ink.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Shatteredtower View Post
    Oh, come on. Vorple Tribble mentioned something about a brief scene that has no bearing on the plot in such a way that, unless you've seen it, won't mean anything. He said it was funny, but if you didn't see it, you won't know why.

It means as much as telling you that the word "existentialism" was used to amusing effect in Get Smart. It means less than telling someone that James Hong provided the voice for Po's father. It was a welcome surprise that I hadn't known before I went to see the film, but knowing that beforehand couldn't have ruined my enjoyment of the picture.

So seriously, "Whoaaaa!"
    It was a joke... in poor taste apparently. Perhaps I should have added a "
    " at the end.
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    It was a joke... in poor taste apparently. Perhaps I should have added a "
    " at the end.
    Nah. It was a good joke. I was just running brain-slow, apparently.