New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: The Lost Academy of Khazarum

Ahmed

The xeph smiles at the old man's advice then gets up to follow him to the table. He picks up his mug, now nearly empty, and an apple and moves toward the table. As he moves, he tries to catch one of the Whitby's eyes, holding his mug up and tapping the side as a gesture for a second. He sits down across from the bard and speaks as the others (presumably) move toward the table. "Thanks for the advice, but I think I shall continue to wander the roads in search of the world's great sites. If it is a choice between spending my life in a fruitless search of the world or sitting on my rear wondering what might have been if I only had the courage to leave home, I will certainly take the former. Though so far, I can hardly say my searches have been fruitless." He gives the man a wink and after polishing the apple on his sleeve, he takes a large crisp and juicy bite.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Dwarf in the Playground

The old bard chuckles at this latest comment. "Oh, yes, fruitless, very nice, young man. Very clever. It would seem you are most determined to ignore my admonition, but I believe I should have known this by your very appearance. The men of your race, my young friend, are not too often seen on this continent, and you do not seem a man on any great errand. More than that, in your eyes, I see the very spark of wanderlust that glistened in mine own so many years ago."

While he pauses, seemingly collecting his thoughts, the table is joined by four newcomers: the halfling man and his two sons, and Edmund, the young, pale-faced son of the inkeeper.

"A right fine tune you sang earlier, sir, most tremendously moving. Nothing like a fine bit of song or story to aid the old digestion, my granddad used to say, he did. And I've had quite a meal to digest, so if there is to be more sir, I'd hear it gladly," the grossly fat halfling says as he takes his seat. His two sons and the innkeeper's boy say nothing.

"My thanks, little friend,"
    begins Idogbe, "for your kind words. But if it is more song you seek, I'm afraid that was my last performance this evening, though my fellow bard here may yet oblige.

If it is a tale you are after, I may yet satisfy your craving, but not with your standard fare of adventure and heroics. Instead, I tell the tale of my life's quest. Tales, I should say, for I have been at it a long time indeed.

I have been laughed out of several institutions because of what I seek, for many learned men feel it is more fairy-tale than fact. It was the greatest site of the Old People, those ancient men from before the world as we know it began. It is said they achieved marvels beyond those we have even dreamed of yet, and that the greatest site of learning and advanced knowledge was a mighty institution, so vast as to be nearly a village. I speak, of course... of Khazarum."

A weighty silence follows this pronouncement, and even the crackle of the fire seems muted. A long second slips by, then another, then another.

The enormously fat halfling bursts out laughing, very loudly, shattering the eerie silence. "Oh, indeed! You almost had me there for a moment, with how serious you started that yarn. Khazarum! Ohohoho! It's a children's story!" His laughter continues for a moment, before faltering at the sight of the old man's face. Not a hint of a smile had crossed it. "Well, err, that is to say, sir, if you, ah, won't be singing anymore of your songs tonight, then I, aheh, I believe that I shall re, uh, retire for the evening." He and his two sons rise from the table and head across the room and up the staircase by the main entrance, nodding to the innkeeper and his wife as they pass.
    Last edited by H Savvy; 2008-08-22 at 06:24 AM.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Bugbear in the Playground

Annikko

Annikko folds her arms and tries to look cross, but only succeeds in looking cute. Then she grins. Any dream worth having is worth laughing at... but you haven't reached the punchline yet. And I've got to admit that I'd like to see it when you get there. Annikko touches her chin and frowns in thought. And then she nods, coming to a decision. Alright. I've made up my mind. I shall join you on your quest! Luck you, teehee. It suddenly occurs to Annikko that she didn't ask Idogbe whether or not he would welcome her companionship, but she's not too concerned. She couldn't imagine that anyone wouldn't want her along.

Spoiler
    Show
    Would like to know what Annikko knows at Khazarum.

Lore - (1d20+5)[15]
    Avatar by Dirtytabs - Much gratitude

4. - Top - End - #64
    Troll in the Playground

Zak

The halfling's eyes unfocus for a moment when the old man puts a name to his quest. Khazarum? Wait, wasn't that...

Spoiler
    Show
    Zak is not an academic by any means, and generally is less than fascinated with "tallfolk history." But there's a chance that Khazarum might have come up at some point during his training, and a (lesser) chance that it might have been a subject of barracks chatter during a long, boring stint on garrison duty. So, let's see what the dice have to say...
    Knowledge (Arcana): (1d20+10)[28],
    or Knowledge (History): (1d20+6)[19]

Phil the Piratical Platypus avatar by Serpentine

5. - Top - End - #65
    Orc in the Playground

Gliff

All signs of Gliff's inebriation disappear as he moves to the table with Idogbe. He is uncharacteristically quiet as he listens for the tale.
    NOTE

"Veni, Vidi, Velcro!"
    I came, I saw, I stuck around!
    Quote Originally Posted by Apologizes to Lochar
    I live in the real life Ravenloft!
    Gamiel, Reynoldo Estebar, Boar, Gliff Addel

6. - Top - End - #66
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zak:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The name Khazarum sticks out in your memory, but only vaguely, most likely only because the name is a memorable one. If you remember correctly, Khazarum was some sort of fairy-tale city, thousands of years old, before the Old Ones died out. There was powerful magic there, some said, or powerful science. Stories of it differ, and these days, are fairly rare. ((about equivalent to a secondary fairy tale like the story of Rose Red. People know it, but not all that many, and many of those who do are vague on the details))

Idogbe smiles wanly at the young gnome. "My dear, you are not the first to ask such a thing, nor, I wager, the last. Many along the years have been my companion on this lifelong search of mine, for they hear tales of glory and wish a taste for themselves, but the road is long, and difficult, and mostly without excitement. If you truly wish to accompany me, I will not attempt to stop you, but I suspect we will part ways before to long.

Save only this young man, few have stayed with me longer than a year."

At Zak's question, Idogbe looks at the faces gathered around him, all eager for a tale. "I see I shall have to cover a bit of history with this one.

Khazarum... the ancient citadel. None today know the location where once it stood, but in its day, dating all the way back to the peak of the Old Ones' civilaztion, it was one of the world's true wonders.

In the center was the greatest center of learning ever constructed. An institution devoted to knowledge, it was the Great Academy of Khazarum that was truly the heart of that bygone city. The other buildings sprang up around it, from it, because of it, and the city grew. Scholars flocked there in droves, bringing wives and families; opportunistic craftsmen and merchants saw an opening for new business, and the city thrived.

The Academy was a place of constant activity. It was University, Laboratory, and Library all in one, and many are the tales of the wonders housed and created therein.

Many "respectable" scholars disbelieve its existence, for it has become the realm of fantasy and folk tale. Most know the tale of Little Sharee and the four ghosts of Khazarum, clearly a child's tale and no more, and declare the place a myth. But I have spent my entire life studying it, and I assure you, there are far more tales than that..."

7. - Top - End - #67
    Troll in the Playground

Zak

The fussy little halfling blinks, startled, when Igdobe answers him - he hadn't realized he'd spoken aloud. "But you know where to look for it?," he interjects incredulously. "Assuming, of course, that there really is something to it besides children's stories - even so, it's been a thousand years or more! What makes you think there'd even be anything left to be found, much less that there's any chance of finding it?"

8. - Top - End - #68
    Dwarf in the Playground

"A lifetime of research, and nothing more," the old man says, in a cold and flat voice. "You need not believe me, and I have no particular inclination to persuade you, particularly if insist on using that tone.

His voice becomes more animated as he continues. "I am close, though. My young friend and I have just come from a recently unearthed burial cave. Positively ancient. It spoke at length of a certain "lost golden city" and kept repeating a phrase that translates to "the tome fell."

Perhaps if I put it into context.

'The tome fell,
    unleashed its spell
    and Little Sharee shrieked.

Strange figures four
    stood at the door
    And there began to speak.

"We four have died
    why have you pried
    us from our final rest?

We shan't return
    until we earn
    the heart from out your chest."'

Not the version you are used to, I suspect, for the children's tale told today has been diluted and changed to be "more suitable for children."

I have no doubt the cave was referring to Khazarum, and with the other information I have collected, I have no doubt I will find this place before I die."

9. - Top - End - #69

Annikko

Annikko furrows her brow. Say uhh... that poem sounds kind of like a warning or something. Maybe you ought to just leave things be? You wouldn't want to awaken some ancient evil or something. Those things never turn out well.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Ahmed

Ahmed has been leaning back in his chair listening in silence. One hand holds his chin, the other lies across his chest. An apple core sits before him on the table.

Finally, he replies to Annikko, "Not necessarily evil. I'll grant you that the rhyme made it sound that way, but the 'tear out your heart' could just as easily refer to filling the listener with melancholy at the fall of the academy or something. But why am I speculating? We have the premier researcher on the matter right here. What do you think it means?"
    Last edited by dariathalon; 2008-08-27 at 05:32 PM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Dwarf in the Playground

"I'm sorry, I presumed too much familiarity on your parts with the subject I have studied all my life. Those lines are from the climax of the tale, and must sound rather fearsome without the rest of it.

Poor Little Sharee, she was pushed and prodded and wheedled into a dare to spend the night in the haunted ruins of Khazarum, to prove she didn't believe in ghosts. She finds a sheltered area and curls up to sleep. In the middle of the night she awakens, frightened by the noises of nighttime animals and her spooky surroundings, goes exploring to keep her mind off the idea of haunted ruins.

She finds herself in an immense library, so large she cannot see where it ends, and in front of her, surrounded by a strange, glowing light, was a very large book on a pedestal. She approaches it, and senses that it is a very magical book. She opens it, and a strange and eeriee voice calls out from within it, and frightened, she slams the cover shut, but she overdoes it, and it falls from its pedestal and onto the floor.

Four ghosts appeared to her, and she fled. In the modern children's version, they chased her throughout the ruins all night, frightening her half to death. She eventually returns the book to its pedestal just in time for sunrise, and emerges from the ruins, with white hair and definitely believe in ghosts.

The interesting thing about this story is that though it comes to us from ancient times, already it refers to Khazarum as "ruined." I believe it's out there somewhere. I feel it calling me ever onward. As for what it may hold... who can say? Great evil? Perhaps, but unlikely, I would say; sometimes, when all is said and done, stories are only stories."
    Last edited by H Savvy; 2008-08-29 at 04:27 PM.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground

Zak

"And you truly do believe you can find it," Zak says in a softer, more thoughtful tone. "Interesting. Very interesting." He leans back from the table and takes a long drink from his mug.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Ahmed

"So, you say you think you have an idea where this place is. Obviously somewhere beyond Tansier, but perhaps you'd be willing to tell us a little more about where you suspect it is. Like I said, I have done my fair share of travelling, and know something about a great many places. If it is somewhere I haven't spent much time, I might like to accompany you as well. It might be a nice trip."

Spoiler
    Show
    Assuming he name's an area, here's a Knowledge: Geography roll to see what Ahmed has heard about the area. (1d20+8)[17]

14. - Top - End - #74
    Dwarf in the Playground

"I am sure you are all trustworthy people, have no doubt, but sometimes one must be particularly careful of ah, rivalrous peers. I'll gladly share tales of Khazarum, or of my journeys, but some things are rather akin to professional secrets." Idogbe winks at Ahmed.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jaron the traveler didn't really agree with the old man, feeling that only by sharing knowledge could bards truly succeed, but he respected the older bard's devotion to finding the object of his obsession, for Jaron, too, had something he desperately longed to find.

"If you are glad to tell them, sir, I would be glad to listen to any tale from a well-traveled bard such as you, particularly those of your life's work."

The old man smiled, and his posture improved slightly, uncurling the slouch of his old age. He took a long, slow draw from his ornately carved pipe and exhaled, slowly.

And then the tales began. If any doubted the old man's skill as a storyteller, there could be no doubts anymore. His passion for the subject was evident, and all sitting at that table felt the energy that seemed to fill him, felt themselves pulled in by his words to a fantastic lost world.

Khazarum, the ancient; Khazarum, where all knowledge of the Old Ones was kept. He spoke of captivating, otherworldly architecture. Of the massive library, home of the greatest tomes of knowledge, of accurate histories of times long before our own recorded history, of medicine and deep magics and science.

He told long-forgotten folk tales of great strife in the land, and how the people turned to Khazarum to seek guidance and wisdom and power. Many tales of this kind were told; one particularly ancient story had the hero travel to a Khazarum still standing, but most spoke of the Academy already being a ruin, into which the protagonist would descend, and return a true Hero.

The night wore on, and the few stragglers at the other tables had headed off to bed, but no one at the table with the bard felt the weight of that late hour. The stories kept flowing. The Innkeeper and his wife retired to their room, instructing their son to close the floo when he was finished listening to the old bard's stories. The enrapt little boy barely heard her.

Idogbe was in the middle of retelling the full, original version of the story of Little Sharee, and the vivid descriptions of the spooky old ruins seemed strangely mirrored in the shadowy corners of the inn's common room, now only dimly lit by the dying fire and a few small lamps.

"The tome fell,
    unleashed its spell
    and Little Sharee shrieked.

Strange figures four
    stood at the door
    And there began to speak."

And there he stopped. He stared blankly ahead of him, as though he had forgotten the next verse. He looked vaguely confused as he slumped forward, his head down on the table, his arms hanging at his sides. The pipe in his left hand dropped and hit the floor with a soft thump.

And then there was only silence.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Ahmed

Ahmed sat in shocked silence for a moment before slowly reaching over to gently shake the old man's arm. "Sir, are you alright? Has the lateness of the hour overtaken you? Could I offer you a hand up to bed?" he asks, praying that it is simply a sudden nap. Somewhere in his heart he fears that it is something worse. Assuming the man does not respond within a moment, he reaches over a second time to check for signs of life.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Dwarf in the Playground

The old man does not respond.

18. - Top - End - #78

Annikko

Annikko is up immediately with a shriek of alarm. Instead of hopping down from her seat, she hops up on the table and runs across it, knocking over a lamp in her haste. When she reaches the old man she gives his arm a brief shake and then holds up a silver pendant attached to a chain. By the command of Garl Glittergold, a priest shall tend to the wounded! Her words invoke some otherworldly power and she places a hand on Idogbe's head.

Spoiler
    Show
    Cast cure moderate wounds.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Troll in the Playground

Zak

Zak remains in his seat as Ahmed and Anniko go to the old man's side; he has neither talent nor training in the healing arts and doesn't want to get in the way of someone who might actually be able to do some good.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Ahmed

When it is clear to him that there is something more wrong with the man than simple exhaustion, Ahmed steps back. A worried expression is spread across his face. He stands away in silence for a few moments, then asks "Is there anything I can do?" He didn't really expect that there was, but wanted to offer regardless. As he continues to watch, he says a short, silent prayer. Heironeous, this man seems to have lived an honorable life. Please show him your mercy and let him live at least long enough to see his life's mission realized. His hand fumbles beneath his loose clothing for a moment to find a small, somewhat beaten-up holy symbol which he then clutches between his fingers.
    Last edited by dariathalon; 2008-09-06 at 11:37 AM.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Dwarf in the Playground

Anniko:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The little gnome rushing up and across the table to come to the elderly bard's aid feels the power of her god swell and fill her, just as always it does, but this time, the holy power will not flow into her intended target.

The old man is clearly dead.
    Last edited by H Savvy; 2008-09-06 at 04:09 PM.

22. - Top - End - #82

Anniko

Annikko rises up and shakes her head. There isn't anything that anyone can do. He's gone from this world. Gone when his dream was so close.

Annikko reaches over and pushes Idogbe's body so that it leans back against his seat, and then brushes her fingers over his eyes, closing them.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Dwarf in the Playground

Little Edmund is staring wildly, his eyes open wide with shock and fear. He looks confused, and on the verge of tears.

Gliff interjects with a quiet "Thish... thish ishn't supposed to happen..."

The young innkeeper's son loses his internal battle with stoicism, and as the tears begin to stream down his face, he turns from the table and runs.

Young Jonathan, the old man's ward, looks terrible. Pale, and slightly green, he looks as though bewitched, his eyes empty and and staring.

Jaron the Traveler casts his gaze about at the remaining seven living members of the group around the table. "What do we do now?"

24. - Top - End - #84
    Troll in the Playground

Zak

"Well," the halfling says calmly, looking up from his alemug, "I suggest moving his body up to his room for now. After that, we'll all raise a glass in his honor. And in a day or two it may be that the rain will ease off so we can get him into the ground."

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Ahmed

Ahmed stands and moves around behind Idogbe and his young companion. He places a reassuring hand on the young man's shoulder, trying to give him some measure of comfort. He leans down and quietly whispers to him, "Help me show the man some respect. I'll carry his body upstairs to a bed. Can you go before me and open the doors for him?"

(Once the boy acknowledges him...)Ahmed carefully picks up Idogbe's body, laying him across his arms. "I'll take him upstairs," he says solemnly and begins carrying him toward the stairs.

26. - Top - End - #86

Annikko

Annikko sighs as the innkeeper's son runs away. She had wanted to pull him against her and tell him everything would be alright, but she'd never be able to catch up to him, and the opportunity was lost. She turns to the others. Wait a minute, nobody is doing anything yet. Jonas and Susan need to be told, since I reckon they deserve a say in what needs to be done. Hold everything, I'll be right back. Annikko lithely hops off the table and lands with a light thump and then trots off to find Jonas so she can tell him the bad news.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: The Lost Academy of Khazarum

As Ahmed lays his hand tentatively upon the shoulder of the old man, his body shifts and slumps forward. As the xeph reaches to pull him back up, the ancient head rises slowly...

Jaron the Traveler gasps, and the somewhat inebriated Gliff just stares in mute shock.

Then the old man's eyes snap open, blank white orbs staring madly out. A deep, gravelly voice, both like and unlike the old man's, croaks out.

"Over sea and over land, the road to ancient secrets spans,
    where once the sacred river ran, the tower stands, the tower stands!"

The old man's body jerks on its own, seemingly turning him to face the others at the table, his mouth pulled into a horrible mockery of a grin, his blank eyes wide and staring, staring....

"No ghosts there are, but still they guard! Death for those without the shard!
    Seek the key or the way is barred and painful death your just reward,"
    he calls out in his grating voice, leering madly, blindly at the small collection of people, his head jerking and lolling.

"Six shells around its rim, six sparks must light within,
    six times six do give it spin, six again spun widdershins.

The secret of the key is sealed, it's lost location unrevealed.
    Seek the key to seek the key, but ware the keeper, ware the sea.

The ancient place lies yet unfound, sleeping deep beneath the ground
    Dare you wake it with your sounds? Or shall your will by fear be drowned?

Ware the darkness, ware the way, but know you'll once again see day,
    Not all who enter are doomed to stay, but know there is a price to pay.

One, at least, within shall fall, one left behind inside its walls,
    One who'll feel the icy pall and ashy chill of the reaper's call.

Gold and silver and metals rare, this and more lie in that lair,
    But greater treasures still are there for those of whom who are aware"

The old man lurches forward over the table, arms limply hanging at his sides, eyelids opened wide, blank white orbs staring out madly, his bearded face twisted into a terrifying rictus grin.

Do not shy from destiny! Seek the key to seek the key!
    Seek the key to seek..."

He trails off with a quiet gurgle and slumps down, sliding off the edge of the table and onto the floor. The old man is still.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Ahmed

Jumping back with a start, Ahmed stares in shock for a split second before realizing something important must be happening. His hand darts into his pocket and pulls out a small bit of chalk. He drops to his knees and begins scrawling down as much of the corpse's speech as he can on the floor beside him, not wanting to let any of this information pass on to the ages.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Troll in the Playground

Zak

When the old mans corpse began moving and speaking, Dast had backed away slowly, wide-eyed, drawing his dagger from his belt with one hand as he readied his arsenal of spells. Now he returns his blade to its sheath, snarling, "It seems I was mistaken. We ought to bury the old man now, tonight. Before something like that happens again."

30. - Top - End - #90

Annikko

Annikko, who hadn't gone more than a few steps, also stares at the speaking body, though she doesn't make any move for a weapon. For a while she's silent and stunned, though eventually she turns to address Zak. Don't you understand? He didn't turn into a zombie of all the sudden. That was... a message from the gods.