New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Keep On The Shadowfell-IC-TQ

Melkor

Seeing Leoguard's hard swing go wide, Melkor shrugs off his shadowy veil muttering a curse at the shield bearing kobold. Melkor raises his rod and points it at the kobold. Dark tendrils from the head of his rod envelop the kobold and pulse with energy towards Melkor.

Spoiler
    Show

Current HP: 24 (+1 temp HP)/28
    Minor Action: Warlocks Curse at the D2 Kobold
    Standard Action: Vampiric Embrace
    Attack: (1d20+3)[11] vs. Will
    Damage: (2d8+3)[9] + (1d6)[1]
    Move Action: Move to O14. Gain Concealment from Shadow Walk and Cover from trees/brush.

Edit: Added "vs. Will" and if I hit i get +8 Temp HP (and yes i know it doesn't stack). Looks like the little bugger gets to live to see another round...
    Last edited by Awesomologist; 2008-08-06 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Added "vs. Will"
    Melkor, Tiefling Warlock Avatar by Nevitan

2. - Top - End - #122
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

The shielded kobold dodges all your attacks, but it begins to look extremely tired, it movement are slowing, but its shield still raised. It is easy to see that the sling kobold trained for melee combat, Bal'koth's smite lands heavily. The shielded kobold does the only thing it can, it strikes against Leoguard. The slinger shifts back and pull's out his last ceramic orb, hurling it at Bal'koth, this one was different its contains is white and extremely sticky.
    Spoiler
    Show

Sling kobold
    Special Minor action: shift to O22
    Standard action: Attack Bal'koth vs AC
    sling - (1d20+6)[20](26) damage - (1d6+3)[4](7) + Immobilized(save ends) ohhh... that was a crit, so 9 damage
    Move action: Move to P28

Shield kobold
    standard action: attack Leoguard vs AC
    sword - (1d20+6)[6](12) damage - (1d6+3)[6](9)

ooc: I might have made a mistake when moving your characters, if you are not where you want to be just say and i'll fix it on the next page, if the kobolds are not all dead

Last edited by the quinn; 2008-08-06 at 11:17 AM.
    Running Keep on the Shadowfell
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern.
    If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
    Erradran Silverhand - Arena ranger in the paragon devision
    Jerren Stilsmite - Revenge driven Cleric of St. Cuthbert

3. - Top - End - #123
    Pixie in the Playground

Aur

Aur's eyes narrow with anger as the shield-bearing kobold menaces her friends further. Moving slightly so that she might better see it, she makes another chopping gesture, and a blazing lance of radiant light slices at the shield-bearing kobold.

Spoiler
    Show

Move Action: Move to M13
    Minor Action: Designate the shield-bearing kobold at M9 as Aur's Hunter's Quarry
    Standard Action: Lance of Faith at M9 kobold. Attack vs Ref - (1d20+3)[5], Damage - (1d8+4)[12] plus Hunter's Quarry - (1d6)[2]. Leo gets a +2 on his next attack vs the shield-bearing kobold at M9.

EDIT: Great. I rolled a 2. Fantastic.
    Last edited by SwordOfUriel; 2008-08-06 at 02:12 PM.
    "I am sorry to say that it will not do. Magic is not respectable, sir. It is not," Sir Walter searched for a word, "serious. The Government cannot meddle with such things." (Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell, by Susanna Clarke)

Wonderful grey druid (and will o' the wisp) avatar by LostOne!

4. - Top - End - #124
    Bugbear in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I know how you feel, I rolled max damage and a 5 to-hit . So.... do I still get the +2 to attacks on the shield-kobold ?
    My Happy Song : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcRj9lQDVGY
    Credit goes to Lord_Herman for the fantastic Joseph avatar (and the also fantastic Kremle avatar which I can't use because I'm already using the Joseph one).

5. - Top - End - #125
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Vaelnae

Somewhat amazed by the fortitude of her scaly foe, Vael speaks: "Will you never give up?" Again she incants her frost spell, before moving behind a tree next to Melkor.

Spoiler
    Show

Standard Action: Ray of Frost on D2 again

Int vs Ref - (1D20+4)[7]
    [Roll=Damage]1D6+4[Roll]
    Slowed until end of its next turn if hits.

Move Action: Move to P14

6. - Top - End - #126
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    Heh, I'd roll damage again but it won't be needed with that roll

7. - Top - End - #127

LEOGUARD

The young warrior is surprised at himself, swinging powerfully but with no aim. He would've been knocked over the head with a large stick if he had done that in training, to get his brain working properly again. Still, Leo could understand why: The last attack on the kobold took all his strength. The vibrations of his axe, crashing through the kobold's armour and flesh, had laid his arm almost completely numb.... however, he couldn't let this stop him, not in a real battle against kobold rabble.
    Howling suddenly and moving in close to the lizard-creature, Leoguard slams his shield into it, swinging with the blunt of his axe as it is (hopefully) propelled backward!

Spoiler
    Show
    Tide of Iron on Shield-kobold (non-lethal to try and knock it out): Attack - (1d20+10)[5](15) (+2 from Villain's Menace, +2 from Aur's Hunter's Quarry) Damage - (1d10+7)[1](8) (+4 from Villain's Menace) + Shift the target to N11 (if applicable) and shift into the square they occupied + Combat Challenge on target (hit or miss).

OOC: .... Did I just roll a five on Attack AGAIN !?!?!? I was actually thinking, "Well, even if I rolled as bad as a 5 again, Aur's +2 bonus in conjunction with Villain's Menace's means I have at least some chance of hitting it," ....
    Last edited by Conners; 2008-08-07 at 03:39 AM.
    Credit goes to Lord_Herman for the fantastic Joseph avatar (and the also fantastic Kremle avatar which I can't use because I'm already using the Joseph one).

8. - Top - End - #128
    Pixie in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Conners - sadly, no, the +2 to your attack roll only happens if Aur's Lance of Faith hits. Also, it looks like you might be adding your modifiers twice - if you enter your roll as [ roll ] 1d20+8 [ /roll ] or whatever, the site adds in your +8 modifier for you. You don't need to add it in yourself after the site posts the roll.

Will this kobold DIE?
    "I am sorry to say that it will not do. Magic is not respectable, sir. It is not," Sir Walter searched for a word, "serious. The Government cannot meddle with such things." (Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell, by Susanna Clarke)

9. - Top - End - #129

Quote Originally Posted by SwordOfUriel View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Conners - sadly, no, the +2 to your attack roll only happens if Aur's Lance of Faith hits. Also, it looks like you might be adding your modifiers twice - if you enter your roll as [ roll ] 1d20+8 [ /roll ] or whatever, the site adds in your +8 modifier for you. You don't need to add it in yourself after the site posts the roll.

Will this kobold DIE?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Drat.... back to square one (except I might have moved the kobold and myself one square depending if Tide of Iron needs a hit to move us). Um, note that I was merely pointing out why my attack was a +10 modifier rather than the usual +6, I didn't intend for the modifiers to be added twice.

10. - Top - End - #130

Bal'Koth

Sticky white webbing sprays across the Dragonborn, hampering his movement as his foe slips away. His faith does not falter, however, as he lunges after the fleeing kobold.

Spoiler
    Show
    minor action: channel divinity to grant myself a save against immobilization. If it works I'll take the rest of my turn.

(1d20)[16]

(edit: oops I get +3 on this roll. This ability seems good.)
    Last edited by sleepy; 2008-08-07 at 10:30 AM.

11. - Top - End - #131

Bal'Koth's eyes flash with thunder as he bursts free of his restraints, hot on the tail of his foe once more.

Spoiler
    Show
    Saving like that means I can take the rest of my actions without sufferin the condition, right?

move action to m24
    charge to o27

attack: (1d20+6)[10](16)
    damage: (1d8+2)[1](3)

12. - Top - End - #132

Melkor

Ugh... This little bastard just doesn't quit!, Melkor thinks to himself as he points his hand towards the the shield bearing kobold, unleashing another bolt of shadow.

Behind him, the sound of Bal'Knoth chasing after the other kobold causes Melkor to turn and look. Seeing his new companion run off, Melkor turns and takes off after him. Once in range, he places a curse on the little slinger and draws up some more dark energy which he unleashes on the Sling bearing kobold.

Spoiler
    Show

Current HP: 24(+1 Temp HP)/28

Standard Action: Eldritch Blast vs the shield kobold
    Attack: (1d20+4)[16] vs Reflex (added +1 from Bloodhunt)
    Damage: (1d10+3)[12] + (1d6)[6]
    Move Action: Move to P20
    Minor Action: Warlocks Curse on the slinger

I'll burn my Action Point!
    Standard Action: Eldritch Blast vs the slinger.
    Attack: (1d20+3)[9] vs Reflex
    Damage: (1d10+3)[13] + (1d6)[6]

13. - Top - End - #133
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

The shielded kobold falters, then a blast of eldritch strikes it. It then falls to the ground dead. The Final kobold shifts back then runs,
    Spoiler
    Show

The S kobold shift back one and runs twice, moving 16 squares to the south,
    you can chase him but he is at near full HP
    That battle is won
    95 (XP)
    And its roll playing time, the initiative is over, the simple question to ask is,
    What do you do next?
    Last edited by the quinn; 2008-08-07 at 03:38 PM.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Pixie in the Playground

Aur

Aur breathes a sigh of relief as the shield-bearing kobold finally succumbs to its wounds. She then moves to the other fallen beasts, and begins the distasteful task of stripping their bodies of valuables and preparing the bodies for disposal through flame.

Spoiler
    Show
    Search the bodies!

15. - Top - End - #135
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

The party begins to take a short rest, but is not satisfying there is no dry place to rest, Winterhaven is but 3 miles away.
    after searching their bodies you find:
    34 silver pieces
    2 shields that look like dragon scales
    5 spears
    2 less than average short swords
    Last edited by the quinn; 2008-08-07 at 05:02 PM.

16. - Top - End - #136

Melkor

Melkor's eyes tail the fleeing kobold. Seeing the bodies shuffled through, Melkor's tail flicks.
    "Leave them where they lie. It'll serve as warning to the others. Besides we should get to Winterhaven as soon as possible. I'm sure they'd be interested in knowing that kobolds are attacking travelers so close to their walls.

Spoiler
    Show

How do we want to do the break down of loot? Melkor's not one for taking mundane items. He has no problems with items of worth or money

17. - Top - End - #137

Bal'Koth

Bal'Koth hisses in frustration when the tip of his sword barely rakes the fleeing slinger as it accelerates out of reach. He slows and bares his fangs, wrist unconsciously flicking his blade, futiley burning holes in the coward's back with his amber eyes. Finally, his battle fever subsides and he returns to the group. His head ***** ((ooc: as in c-ck a pistol)) at Melkor's suggestion, and he pauses before responding.

"Sso closze to the hauntss of men, the dead bring a pesstilence. The wild doess not own thiss land. She cannot reclaim them asz easzily here." His eyes then travel to Aur's looting, and a curious look comes over his face. He strolls over to her as she rummages through a shielded kobold's belongings, and picks up the scaled shield, claws tracing its overlapping pattern so like his own skin. He turns to Aur momentarily, and asks "if you would, friend, I could besst use my full endurance in a moment." He then lays his own shield upon the ground and lifts the kobold's, and shouts to Melkor "Hornss! I sseemed to notice thiss shield gaurding againsst your flamess. Let uss tesst thiss theory!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Bal asks Aur for a Healing Word, which would put him at full health from one surge. Either way he will spend a surge and be at at least 25/27. He wants Melkor to shoot him and see if the shield has a resist fire property :)
    Last edited by sleepy; 2008-08-07 at 09:01 PM.

18. - Top - End - #138

LEOGUARD

"Come back coward!!" Leoguard shouted as he charged after the final kobold. When he saw everyone else ignoring it, however, and himself greatly slowed by his heavy armour--he knew pursuit was useless. Walking back to the group, he sighed and asked Vael, "Are you all right, Maiden Vael?" After speaking with her, he would check the shields and compare them to his own--beginning to pack any martial equipment his allies weren't interested in.
    Last edited by Conners; 2008-08-07 at 10:15 PM.

19. - Top - End - #139

Melkor

Melkor shrugs his shoulders and flicks his tail as though ambivalent to Bal'Koth's justification to the clearing of bodies.

Melkor takes a moment to tend to his wounds. Bal's slur rolls off Melkor, interrupting the tiefling as he cleans the spear wound. He points a finger at the dragonborn, igniting the air around him and the dragon scale shield, scouring both in flames.

Spoiler
    Show

Hellish Rebuke
    Attack Roll: (1d20+5)[12] (+2 for combat advantage since he's a willing target; that sound fair Quinn?)
    Damage Roll: (1d6+3)[7]

Edit: Attack is versus Reflex, which I believe hits, but the math is wrong on your sheet
    Last edited by Awesomologist; 2008-08-07 at 11:56 PM. Reason: followup

20. - Top - End - #140
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Vael by using her arcana check in the short rest... determines that shields are not magical, it was the scales of the shielded ones which conferred this ability. Now after dead the magic has dissipated.

21. - Top - End - #141

Spoiler
    Show
    are the shields light or heavy? I can definitely see Bal taking a shine to a dragonscale shield.

Awesomeologist: Melkor may not interpret it this way but OOC "horns" was not an insult. Bal'Koth actually has yet to use an actual name in this campaign, just "friend" or obvious nicknames. Don't be suprised if you all end up with some such title ;)

I'll double check ref defense when I get home.
    Last edited by sleepy; 2008-08-08 at 10:39 AM.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

DM
    The light shields are red
    A few questions:
    Who is your leader, that is the one who decides when you will leave or basic diplomacy?
    Do you take a short rest?
    What do you do with the loot?
    How long do you spend at the kobold site?

23. - Top - End - #143

Spoiler
    Show
    @DM's questions:

As leader, Leoguard would vote for Vael, and if she didn't want to: Bal'Knoth. It'd certainly be VERY interesting if he was leader, though (the preasur would rip him to bits).
    I think we should definitely at least take a short rest.
    Any weapons and armour no one else wants, Leoguard will take--to the maximum amount of weight he can carry without slowing him down too much, that is.
    Leoguard will leave when the others are ready--though he thinks they should at least rest for a moment (meaning: Take a short rest before leaving).

24. - Top - End - #144

Spoiler
    Show

Melkor has already voiced his support for Aur as leader when it comes to diplomacy and such, as for a field leader I suppose Aur or Bal will do. No offense to Vael but I think even she had deferred to Aur as well?

I thought a short rest is what we were on, hence why i was RPing Melkor cleaning his wound (ie "spending a healing surge").

Melkor will just take his due SP (7?) and not worry about the mundane items.

Melkor has already expressed interest in leaving and getting to Winterhaven as soon as possible.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Pixie in the Playground

Aur

Aur leaves the bodies of the kobolds in a small heap near the roadside, content that they will succumb quickly to the scavengers of the wild. Taking the attack as a reminder of the dangers of the road, she looks over her equipment and, after a moment of meditation, heals her wounds. She looks up at Bal'Koth's request, and concentrates heavily, requesting that Avandra smile upon the dragonborn and heal his battle wounds. She then takes her share of the silver collected from the kobolds and buries one silver piece near their bodies as an offering of thanks for the luck provided by her goddess. Her devotions complete, she hoists her pack and scans the trail leading to Winterhaven.

Spoiler
    Show
    Not sure how healing words work outside of an encounter - if I can use them, I will. As mentioned before, Aur will take on the mantle of group diplomat if need be.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Vaelnae

Vael closes her eyes in relief as she realises the battle is over and the party has prevailed. Struck by a sudden thought she opens them again, glancing swiftly around the other four members. Content that none have fallen, she sits on a nearby tree branch and closes her eyes again for a moment.

When Leo approaches her she smiles cautiously. "I am... intact." She closes her eyes for a moment, then reopens them, smiling warmly. "I am very glad indeed that we all have survived unscathed, at least after the application of Aur's healing gifts. I fear my cloak is a little torn, but nothing more."

She then rises slowly and helps with Aur's search of the bodies, though she touches the small creatures gingerly and with a wince. Her share of the silver is gratefully taken and placed in her pack. She swings one of the shortswords several times and then puts it down, saying regretfully, "Would that this were a longsword, such as my people bear. The creatures would not have the stature to wield such weapons, however." She shivers, remembering the determination of the shieldbearing kobold. "We should be grateful for this, I think."

Vael is grateful for the short rest, and all too soon must stand once more and make her way through the rain towards Winterhaven.

Spoiler
    Show

Aww, no mending cantrip in 4E Unless the DM rules prestigitation can be used to mend her cloak?

Vael already agreed that Aur should lead. She is quite happy to let a human speak for the party, and to listen to everyone else's views before adding her own slant.

27. - Top - End - #147

Spoiler
    Show
    As far as leadership goes, Bal is happy to let whomever else lead so long as he doesn't feel things are being handled poorly, at which point he'd move to take charge of the situation himself. He's not averse to making descisions, he just figures as long as things are going fine there's no need to impose himself. He'd probably support Aur in particular as the least likely of his companions to come across all wrong when speaking on behalf of the party, though.

He'll happily take his share in the silver and equip one of the shields unless someone objects.

He/I definitely want a short rest. He'll spend another surge to heal up the damage from Melkor.

SwordOfUriel: every 5 minutes we chill out recharges your encounter powers, so as long as we don't rush off you can pretty much cast freely between battles.

Awesomologist: good catch, I entered my shield bonus to ref under "arm./ability" but apparently that's wrong and it calculates it in from the shield bonus field automatically.

Conners: there is no N in Bal'Koth ;)

Bal'Koth flinches as he's blasted with the full force of the tiefling's eldritch fire. He shakes his head thoroughly as the flames extinguish like a dog drying himself, ropey scales swinging wildly from the back of his head.

"It sseemss I wass misstaken." he allows with an ironic twist to his mouth. "Nonetheless, iss it not beautiful?" The dragonborn admires the dragonscale shield on his arm, claws tracing their overlapping plates. "One hopess none would object to my carrying thiss."
    Last edited by sleepy; 2008-08-08 at 09:15 PM.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

The party begins to rest, attempting to find a solid rock to sit on, or trees that have enough leaves to block the majority of the rain. Yet, the rest is still nothing compared to a warm fire and a mug of mead. The sky begins to become darker and darker. Your recent travels and experience in the wild tells you that this would not be a suitable place to rest. Someone suggest that the group heads to Winterhaven. You pack up, some what refreshed from your long walk, and small battle. Your feet are heavy on the ground, the mud stick to the feet. Smoke is now visible coming from Winterhaven, several smaller ones, from several chimneys. The sky has now become completely black, the star shielded from the clouds, the walls of Winterhaven are now visible. Lanterns are posted outside the walls to bring travelers and passengers into the town. You aren't able to make out much of the surroundings, only two guards on top of the parapets, and several thatched homes each with a small patch of land. You begin climbing the small 20 ft. hill on which winterhaven is placed.
    The guards yell out from atop the parapets:
    What business do you have in Winterhaven, their voices are cautious, and it is extremely visible that no visitors have come for some time.
    They await your answer with great anticipation, ready to draw their weapons if your answer does not strike true.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Pixie in the Playground

Aur

Aur looks up towards the parapet, the hood of her cloak falling back as she cries, "We come on behalf of the high priestess of Avandra, Laurel of Feraina. We seek only to help your town. We were beset by kobolds on the road, and slew a number of them - please, let us in that we might aid you in your struggle!"

Spoiler
    Show
    If necessary, Diplomacy check - (1d20+6)[11].

30. - Top - End - #150
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

The guards tone lightens as he realized that you five are humble travelers,
    or adventures, same thing right?
    you are allowed into winterhave
    What do you do?
    Spoiler
    Show

What you can tell is the opening is the top of the page
    the first thing you see is a large sign displaying the name Wratons Inn

Last edited by the quinn; 2008-08-10 at 10:58 AM.