New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 28 of 47 FirstFirst ... 3181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Auromar: Beginnings and Endings (IC4)

Hist smiles at the silent figure.

Aren't you interested in this, Anura? Anyway, your turn, I think. We've all started shared information. You ought to give us something.

OOC@guardina
    Spoiler
    Show
    Does that apply to poor old Hist as well? You argue with him every bit as much...
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

In Auromar, Histantos Illist, Aasimar Warlock.

2. - Top - End - #812
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Kjapp

Kjapp looks at Hist a little askance "I did kind of steal her thunder there Hist, everything I said was really worked out by Anura. I'm just rather...excited about this"

Spoiler
    Show
    Such a stirrer Hist :P
    Last edited by Greymist; 2008-12-04 at 12:44 PM.

3. - Top - End - #813
    Ogre in the Playground

Hist

Ah, fair enough. Still, Anura, you're the theorist. The one with most experience in arcana here. If anyone's qualified to express an opinion on the idea that Pygas' corruption could be down to the land seeds, it's you, no?
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

4. - Top - End - #814
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGuy

Anu
    Anura has been listening quietly, not saying anything. At Hist's (rather accusatory!) question, she clears her throat with a frown.

"I'll confess to being a bit surprised that you three somehow learned some interesting things out here in the wasteland," she says dryly. "I would be curious to hear more about how you managed that at some point."

She waves a hand dismissively. "If Kjapp will permit me to clarify what Krista told us- the curse of Auromar was caused by a divine champion blighting the seeds of the continent, somewhere deep beneath the earth. Kjapp was able to confirm my suspicions that Yggdrasil's roots once reached those depths, and that channels yet remain, beneath its current roots, that lead to the Heart of the Land. I have not yet determined whose divine champion it was that did the corrupting. My suspicion, as Kjapp has said, is that even nearly-divine beings- like the Scholar, perhaps Krista as well- can sponsor such champions, so perhaps it wasn't the champion of Pygas. But perhaps more importantly, we learned that a divine champion can cause the seeds to flourish as well. So what has been done to Auromar may actually be reversible, if a divine champion with such inclinations can reach the seeds. What's more, I subsequently learned that because of their ties to the land, the seeds have the power to pull all the remaining curse energy from Auromar...all of it, everything not already collected...to the heart of the land. From there they can be channeled to a diety, or perhaps into healing the land itself.

"As for Pygas and 'the One'- they are different names for the same divine entity. And it was the Scholar who is mostly...but not entirely...responsible for Pygas' corruption. I find it...puzzling...to say the least, that the other gods would want him to be restored. I would definitely like to hear more about that, too."

She shrugs. "Anyway. Through my research, and through divinations I have cast in Eras, and all the way back in Incrucio, and finally here in the forest, here is what I can tell you about Pygas' corruption. There was a terrible battle in Pygas' Most Hallowed Grounds- which you may recall is where Pygas' newest cleric, Silas, is now heading. It is on the map that Hist...ah...'received'...as 'the battleground'. This was...is...actually Pygas' divine realm. Unique among the gods, it seemed he made his home here rather than on the outer planes." She pauses. "Krista believes, and I concur, that it should be impossible for a god to be defeated in their home realm. So my best guess at this point is that this was a battle between avatars and their followers. Two rival avatars of Pygas, perhaps...one corrupted, the other not. And the corrupted avatar was triumphant, perhaps aided by a certain fiend lord. But that is only a guess and could be wildly off the mark.

Whatever the case, in the outcome of this battle the priests of Pygas in the Eras temple suddenly became haughty and grim, and the symbol glowed. In Incrucio, the priests gathered their followers and made a declaration of some sort. Some laughed, some cried. And some time afterwards, the continent was blighted, and both temples went still and dark."
    She glances at Hist with a worried frown. "But twenty-some years ago, the Eras temple had three visitors. A man, a celestial woman, and a fiendish being of some sort. The circle was carved. Then the man and woman made sacrifices of their blood and their sex, coupling for hours in the throes of evil magic. They remained there within the circle for months, until the birth of a child. The mother died in the birthing. And the child and the mother's corpse were taken away."

From her expression Anura obviously has a great deal more to relate, but pauses here for reactions.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lochar, I did my best going back through all our many, many messages on this, but it's very late and I've had a long day chasing the chimps. If I've grossly mischaracterized anything or jumbled up important details, please let me know (or post in the OOC list, so others know too) and I'll correct ASAP. The last thing we need is to start feeding each other bad intel.

5. - Top - End - #815
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Reid

Reid leans forward, intent on these new insights.

This is extraordinary. Well done!

It certainly all seems to fit. If Pygas' essence was somehow distorted by an agent or avatar - his own, or one working for another - that would explain the shift in his focus.

I believe that Grazys may have more to add about the divine "sponsorship" of Pygas. It's entirely possible that he is simply the lesser of two evils, but also possible that there is a kind of divine fraternity in place, and that Pygas has a role in maintaining an overall balance in the world.

We learned much of this at the completion of a ritual - but that is Hist's story to tell, not mine. I had a vision of Pelor - the same presence that came to me at the conclusion of the Radiente ritual. He did indeed seem constrained not to speak with complete clarity, which meshes with what you and Kjapp have said about some kind of limitation on divine input. But he did acknowledge that Pygas was alive, and gathering again in the world. He didn't seem to be able to say more, but there was certainly no sense that this was contrary to his own wishes - indeed, there was a sense that he was protecting, and acting in the furtherance of such an event.

He glances at Sarai. She looked so young, and beautiful. It suddenly occurred to him that she was old, older than all of them combined, and that she might be constrained by the same forces as Krista.

My love, are you able to join in this discussion? Of all of us, you have the most direct experience about how the land changed.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

6. - Top - End - #816
    Ogre in the Playground

Hist

Hist in his turn seems turned to silence by Anura's words. His face has lost it's customary smile by the end of her discussions He looked over at Anura, his eyes... cold? Or just non-expressive? Either seems unlikely to shift, as though waiting for more.

Sorry I snapped Anura. You have indeed, done well. My thanks.

He sighs, then resumes his silence
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

7. - Top - End - #817
    Troll in the Playground

Sarai smiles at Reid. "All I know, love, is that before there was much life in the forest. And then Krista came to us one day, telling us we must sleep, because a powerful force was sweeping the land, and that we had to sleep or change into something we did not wish to be. We accepted her words and she put us to sleep in our trees."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Anura's info is correct from what I gave her, but I won't speculate on how close or far away her own guesses are.
    Most excellent Rising Echo avatar created by GryffonDurime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardea View Post
    That is the scariest two lines I have read in a forum of any kind.
    Take two internets, a cookie and a vorpal sword, please.
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

8. - Top - End - #818
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Reid

Reid nods.

Thank you.

He turns to Hist, an eyebrow cokced.

Would now be a good time for your own news?
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

9. - Top - End - #819
    Ogre in the Playground

Hist

Hist doesn't loose his grim expression.

Perhaps. But Anura seemed like she had more to say. And if we don't keep to one thing at a time, this will just get confusing.

Oh, and if possible, I'd like to speak to Krista first. After all...

He looked above, and all around him at the trees of the forest, the once dead forest now starting to return to it's former vibrant life, and chuckles bitterly.

It seems appropriate.
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

10. - Top - End - #820
    Ogre in the Playground

Grazys

"It seems tha Battleground is where I need ta go. I thought there was somethin' ticklin' the back o' my mind 'bout that location when Eros showed it to me." Grazys grins his lop-sided grin, though it looks a little tentative. "As to my own testimonial regardin' Pygas' sponsorships, it seems in addition ta Pelor, Wee Jas has agreed ta help ta some degree. She rezzed me as a favor ta Pygas. I've joined his flock, an' that's why I need answers so badly from Eros 'bout Pygas an' Tha One."
    I have returned!! Not that most of y'all know whom I am.

Mega-Awesome Avatar done by Dawn!

The Many Faces of GimliFett.

11. - Top - End - #821
    Bugbear in the Playground

Uri

At grazys' words Uri takes a step back and his hand up to the hilt on his shoulder, he stares hard at the binder for a moment before turning to Reid Sometime soon I may need you to help me atone for my actions. His hands drops back to his side and he looks angry but his is still and quiet.

A moment later his face relaxes into an expressionless watchful look.
    Excellent Avatar of Uri by Retun of Lanky (Aka Lanky Bugger)

12. - Top - End - #822
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Reid

Reid leans forward as Uri starts to move, but relaxes as he stops himself well in time.

Trust me, Uri, you aren't the only one. If I hadn't heard it from Pelor's own lips, I'd be fighting this as well. I would be pleased to assist you in any way, but suggest that you may wish to pray on it first. Pelor doesn't expect more of us than a human being can provide.

13. - Top - End - #823
    Ogre in the Playground

Grazys

Grazys stares at the Paladin impassively for a moment, then winks and grins. "I thought yer issues were with Tha One? I believe in a Pygas who stands for justice an' fair treatment by tha law for everyone."

He shrugs. "'Sides. He got me brought back, didn't he? Can't be all bad!" The binder chuckles softly to himself.
    Last edited by GimliFett; 2008-12-04 at 03:24 PM.

14. - Top - End - #824
    Ogre in the Playground

Hist

Hist's hand flickers with a trace of black flame at Uri's reaction. AS the Paladin backs down, he smiles, slightly, though he is still silent.
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

15. - Top - End - #825
    Bugbear in the Playground

Uri-(sorry for formatting issues, site lag was killing me)

The knight stands listening for a bit, his face even, unmoving, controlled. During the next lull in the conversation he speaks up If you don’t mind me interrupting again. I apologize for my rash actions before but this is a sorely confusing subject for one such as me. I am stuck on this Pygas and the One being the same though. Like a morsel of roast caught between two teeth. It is most vexing.

It seems that Pygas is something like the stories of Saer Veritas and Red Samuel of the Order of Morningglory. Saer Veritas was a good and pure knight, his wife faithful and their children fair. On the return home from a particularly frightful mission Saer Veritas stumbled upon his brother, knife in hand, killing his wife. Saer Veritas fought his brother but the bother got away. Veritas’s wife died in his arms. The grief and anger destroyed him, he turned his back on the Lord Pelor, he fell from grace. This third blow drove him mad, he went on a red handed killing spree for revenge against his brother. He called himself Red Samuel during this time for the blood of the people he slaughtered never washed off him or his armor. At the end He killed his brother and was struck dumb as realization came to him. Now he mourned for the loss of a wife, the murder of his kin, and his fall from the grace of the Lord. He returned to the order begging for atonement and punishment for his crimes. Till the day he died many long years later he worked himself bloody handed everyday striving to repay or repair the damages that he had done as Red Samuel.

I think that aspects of the One still need to be brought down, do not confuse me there. I think that Pygas’ works will need to be more fully examined before I will be able to fully understand thedifference between the two though.
    During his recitation of the story you can all see the warring emotions in his face, anger, confusion, control, all wash over him as he speaks.
    Last edited by Greyen; 2008-12-04 at 11:43 PM.
    Excellent Avatar of Uri by Retun of Lanky (Aka Lanky Bugger)

16. - Top - End - #826
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Reid

Reid smiles faintly at Uri's mention, and then retelling of the Red Samuel story.

I think you've hit on an excellent analogy, Uri. We can only hope that, just as Saer Veritas' story ends with forgiveness and redemption in the eyes of Pelor, so Pygas will regain a place of honour and respect in the world.

Since I suspect that any path we choose from here will likely bring us closer to Pygas, you will almost certainly get your chance to examine the new Pygas and his works.

Thinking back over recent works attributed to Pygas, Reid frowns.

Silas mentioned that the Pygas of old would not have associated himself with the undead. The Scholar's forces were opposed by that abomination, summoned by something using Pygas' symbol. It would seem that there may still be elements - or agents - of the darker version of "the One" in play.

17. - Top - End - #827
    Ogre in the Playground

Grazys

Grazys starts scratching his goatee once more. "Ya thinkin' tha Scholar corrupted agents o' Pygas inta messin' with tha Land Seed an' that's why tha shift? There are obviously still agents o' Tha One around, they're just hidin' pretty well."

18. - Top - End - #828
    Ogre in the Playground

Hist

Hist nods in mute agreement with Grazys, still looking at Anura expectantly, waiting for whatever else she had to say.
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

19. - Top - End - #829
    Ogre in the Playground

Grazys

The binder smiles returns his friend's nod. "Thanks, mate!"

20. - Top - End - #830

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Toliudar View Post
    Reid
    I believe that Grazys may have more to add about the divine "sponsorship" of Pygas. It's entirely possible that he is simply the lesser of two evils, but also possible that there is a kind of divine fraternity in place, and that Pygas has a role in maintaining an overall balance in the world.

We learned much of this at the completion of a ritual - but that is Hist's story to tell, not mine. I had a vision of Pelor - the same presence that came to me at the conclusion of the Radiente ritual. He did indeed seem constrained not to speak with complete clarity, which meshes with what you and Kjapp have said about some kind of limitation on divine input. But he did acknowledge that Pygas was alive, and gathering again in the world. He didn't seem to be able to say more, but there was certainly no sense that this was contrary to his own wishes - indeed, there was a sense that he was protecting, and acting in the furtherance of such an event.
    Anu
    Anura frowns slightly. "Ah. So you have a sense of Pelor's actions and wishes on this. Well, it's clear that there is still a lot left to unravel, and we'll have to do much of it ourselves." She pauses. "I do hope that despite what you interpret as your god's will regarding Pygas' resurgence, we will all be keeping open minds...perhaps even extremely skeptical and suspicious minds...about anything to do with Him or His efforts to reform. He and His followers have only just been defeated after a thousand years of ceaseless war on everyone else in the world. However his corruption came about, Pygas...the One...is responsible for inflicting unimaginable suffering. And frankly, if Randolf and the body-thieves are representative of the faith-that-was, even the 'old' version was apparently willing to tolerate what in my opinion were vile crimes on the part of his worshippers.

"I'm certainly not going to try to second-guess Pelor or the other gods. But even if the One has found a way to 'get better,' to somehow redeem himself, I don't yet understand why they would wish him to reclaim his divine mantle. As for filling some moral or philosophical role to fill in the divine pantheon, there are plenty of other dieties who champion law and justice, if such ideals are really what Pygas was ever about. I don't see why we really need him, and I see plenty of reasons to think we're better off without him."

21. - Top - End - #831
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Reid

Reid grins.

I'm fascinated by your combination of "open mind" and "skeptical and suspicious", Anura. Nonetheless, I completely agree that we should remain receptive to all possibilities.

You had mentioned before you left that you were going to consult the priests of Boccob about these matters, and specifically about the circle. I'm assuming that that's where some of the details about the events in Eras had come to. Did you happen to get any sense from them about Boccob's own position on these matters?"

22. - Top - End - #832
    Ogre in the Playground

Hist

Oh, I agree totally Anura... With an open mind. Not one clouded by over zelous belief and bitterness.

Hist's eyes are closed, but his voice is firm. Gentle, perhaps, but firm in what it says.

The One, and his servants committed crimes, undoubtedly. Some suspicion is called for, certainly. Forgiveness... well, that's a matter for you. But you seem to be headed towards conclusions of your own, in spite of your claims at an open mind

Sorry, Anura, but please. Don't claim to neutrality unless you stick to it. Either admit your suspicions are clouding your judgment here, or try and discard them.

Did you have any more information?
    Last edited by Moral Wiz; 2008-12-05 at 03:25 PM.
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

23. - Top - End - #833

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by GimliFett View Post
    Grazys
    Grazys starts scratching his goatee once more. "Ya thinkin' tha Scholar corrupted agents o' Pygas inta messin' with tha Land Seed an' that's why tha shift? There are obviously still agents o' Tha One around, they're just hidin' pretty well."
    [OOC]
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's not entirely clear to me who this was addressed to, but I think it was Anura.

Anu
    "I can't answer that yet. But from what I've gathered, the battle took place well before the land was blighted. Krista had time to bind the dryads in sleep, and the elves of the southern city had time to build their portal and organize a retreat. So the smart money is that the divine champion of Pygas was the culprit. But it's clear that the Scholar has been meddling in our world's affairs for a very long time. It could be that recent events...the destruction of the Icon, the defeat of the One, the opening of Auromar, his efforts to claim the One's mantle...are all part of a plan set in motion hundreds or thousands of years ago. I think that Immortal beings operate on scales we mortals are not equipped to appreciate."

"As to the One's agents, of course they're still around. Even ignoring the really dangerous ones like the Order of Camerion, It's not like the One's worshippers were wiped out in the war."
    She gestures back towards the refugees. "An empty continent, and an adventurer's charter to loot it, would be an attractive prospect for someone looking to get scarce for a while. I'd bet real money that there are some here right now."

24. - Top - End - #834
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Reid

Reid finds himself nodding along.

No bet taken there.

After all, it seems reasonable to assume that it was some kind of servant of The One that summoned the creature in Incrucio.

Guardinal:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Did we ninja, or is Anura declining to answer the question about the priests of Boccob? Reid really does want to know.

25. - Top - End - #835

DruidGuy

Anu
    Anura rubs the bridge of her nose at Hist’s outburst. “I chose my words in an effort to be inclusive,” she replies in a mild voice. “I certainly wouldn’t expect Reid to question his own divine encounter, while Saer Uri here seems to be struggling with its implications more than I. In any case, I think my point was clear enough to everyone else.

She looks the warlock in the eyes. “And with all respect, Hist, I suggest you think long and hard on the events of the last few months- decisions, successes, failures- and then consider whether an argument about the quality of my judgement is one that you really want to have.

“Now, to the matter at hand. Of course I have a great deal more information. But I’ve been talking a long while now. Kjapp, Reid, Grazys, and Saer Uri here have also shared what they've learned. Earlier you said you had much to declare. Let's hear it.”

Anura retrieves her waterskin and takes a long drink, then wordlessly offers it to any others as she waits for Hist to speak.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    She will definitely answer, but it will be a long post. I've been up since 5am, and it's now almost 1am here. It's bedtime for me.
    Last edited by guardinal; 2008-12-05 at 04:42 PM.

26. - Top - End - #836
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Kjapp

While everyone talks Kjapp has worn a slight frown on his face and his lips have been moving if nothing has been coming out.

Restore the land...restore the god?

Kjapp accepts the waterskin with thanks and hands it back after a long draught.

27. - Top - End - #837
    Ogre in the Playground

Hist

Hist meets her gaze. Voice steel.

With every bit as much respect Anura, any day. I've made mistakes, we all have but "over these last few months"? I've made less than any other time in my life.

And I've been around enough arrogant, condescending, oh so self sure arcanists in my time to know that, yes, your judgment, no matter how learned you are in the lore of magic, is always open for question. Every bit as much as mine, Reid's, Grazys' or that of anyone else. I'm not your equal, but I'm far from a novice myself. A thing you have rarely, if ever, acknowledged, just like others of your ilk. So... superior.

The last word is spat out His eyes are smoldering at that. He meets Anura eye for eye before she continues on to her own questions. He is slightly calmer then

And as I said. I'd like to speak with Krista first. I have shared my information with Reid and Grazys, It is not secret. But I think it will distract us from the point at hand if we do not save it till the last.

If you are so eager to hear me for once, Miss Anura, I'll head off now. Conversation should not be difficult in my absence, no?
    Last edited by Moral Wiz; 2008-12-05 at 05:33 PM.
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

28. - Top - End - #838
    Ogre in the Playground

Grazys

Grazys looks long at Anura. "Those questions are the reason I need ta go ta tha Battlegrounds, Anura! If Pygas isn't who I think he is, then I may as well be dead, since I've declared him my deity an' I'll not worship someone I can't stand up for, eh?"

He nods to Hist, then looks back at the loremaster. [COLOR="Indigo"]"As to Hist, I believe he said he wanted ta speak with Krista before unloadin' all his info."[/COLOR]
    Last edited by GimliFett; 2008-12-05 at 05:03 PM.

29. - Top - End - #839
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Kjapp

Hearing Hist's insistance to speak to Krista first Kjapp looks at him with interest.

"In the interests of hearing what Hist has to say, Reid could you use the ring for him please?"

Though I have some questions for her myself now.
    Last edited by Greymist; 2008-12-05 at 05:40 PM.

30. - Top - End - #840
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Reid

Reid offers the ring in turn to Hist.

If a conversation with Krista will put your heart at ease, then by all means, take the ring. The sooner we have everything out in the open, the sooner we can actually start trying to heal this place.
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2008-12-05 at 07:20 PM.