New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Eyes of the Lich Queen IC (Take Two)

With no warning, you suddenly hear the voice of what sounds like a gnome inside your head. "Your services have been requested. Come to Kern's Rest and Revelry tommorow morning to discuss arrangements. Be prepared for travel. A House Sivis Service."

Kern's Rest and Revelry is a rather large hostel of average quality located in the merchant district of Starilaskur, not far from the lightning rail station. The hostel is jointly operated by House Ghallanda and House Thuranni, and incorporates numerous performing stages and private dining rooms, as well as rooms for rent. The private rooms are said to have witnessed every sort of secret dealing, from the illicit sale of stolen goods to covert meetings between spies, and are rumored to be magicaly protected against observation, although more likely they simply incorporate the more mundane aproach of thin lead sheeting within the walls.

The hostel is fairly quiet when you arive, with only a lone bard playing for the various patrons enjoying breakfast. Once you inquire with the host, a perky young half-elf, you are welcomed and swiftly ushered up a short flight of stairs and into a balcony room that overlooks the stage below. A number of chairs are arranged close to the balcony's edge and a low table, laden with fruits and pastries, rests against the back wall.

A middle-aged human with dark hair and a neatly trimmed beard stands near the chairs, apparently enjoying the sounds of the lute drifting up from below. He turns as the door opens and, upon seeing you, gestures to the table. "Please, help yourselves. My name is Sur'kil, and we have buisness to discuss, which is always more pleasant on a full stomach."

((You may arrive together with the first comers or arive seperately later, as you so choose. Makes no difference to me. I don't mind explaining things twice.))
    Last edited by Kyeudo; 2008-07-25 at 12:21 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC (Take Two)

T'Mere

A lone elf walks into the room, his pale white skin and silvery hair standing out well against his dark blue and deep brown clothing. What is most striking about the man is his eyes. The orbs are pure black, and seem to reflect light away from them, instead of draw it in so that he can see.

Although, he does walk well enough, so if he is blind, it doesn't stop him.

At Sur'kil's introduction, T'Mere nods back. "Food is always nice to have provided. Much better than what has to be searched for."

T'Mere moves easily over to the table, taking a plate and casting his eyes over the table. He takes a few apples, a pear, and passes over the pastries. He pauses, and moves his hand again, collecting a few cherries after the moment's thought.

Moving around the room, he takes a seat at one of the chairs, pulling it a bit away from the balcony. "May I ask what brought me here, or do you wish to wait for the rest of the seats to be filled?"
    Most excellent Rising Echo avatar created by GryffonDurime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardea View Post
    That is the scariest two lines I have read in a forum of any kind.
    Take two internets, a cookie and a vorpal sword, please.
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

"A business proposal that I think you might be interested in. I'd like to wait for one or two more before I say more. Less explaining that way."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

T'Mere

"Understandable. I would not think you would enjoy explaining it many times, as much as I probably would dislike hearing it explained again and again."

T'Mere takes one of the cherries and tries it, smiling at the flavor.

"If we're not to discuss business, may I ask more about you then? I always like to know more about my potential employers."
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

"Ask whatever you will. There are a few things that I can't answer, for one reason or another, but it never hurts to ask."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

T'Mere

"You obviously enjoy music," T'Mere motions to where they can both hear the lute music, "but what else do you enjoy?"

Don't be stupid.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

"A good puzzle. At first you can't see where everything goes, but as pieces slide together you finally see the big picture. Hard to find a good one, though. Not much call for such things."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

T'Mere

"Make a few yourself. If nothing else, there is probably a market for them with the bored nobles. I've seen a few thought puzzles. Blacksmith's toys they're called. Metal contraptions where you have to get a ring off of it. They look like twisted metal, but if you move the ring a certain way, it slides off like water."

Don't be stupid.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

"I've done more than a few in my time, but most are far too simple for my taste."
    Last edited by Kyeudo; 2008-07-25 at 03:57 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

A tall man in armor walks in after T'Mere. A keen eye might notice a small, crystal-like creature drop down from his backpack and take up a sentry position just outside of the door. He walks over to the chairs, but does not take any of the food or sit down yet.

"I am Belamros Urthadar, but I assume that you already know that given how we were requested. I have come because I have heard that you might have use of the services of a skilled warrior. Is this true? I would like to know the details of what we would be doing before we discuss anything else."

Spoiler
    Show
    I have asked my Psicrystal to hide outside of the door and observe anyone who approaches. If anyone suspicious comes, it can tell me via Telepathic Speech.
    "It's not like chess, where choosing to play black or white dictates your entire strategy. Also, chess doesn't have steam cannons."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

"Very true. Please, have some breakfast before we begin." He jestures towards the table.

Spoiler
    Show

I believe the rest of the party falls into the category of "anyone suspicious."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

T'Mere

"Our host wished to wait until the rest of the seats were filled. You don't want to have to hear the same pitch several times, do you?" T'Mere nods at the chair. "Have a seat, the fruit is excellent. I am T'mere Nighre, by the way."

Introducing himself done, T'Mere turns back to Sur'kil. "Have you thought about commissioning one then? Promise to pay a generous price for a puzzle that can keep you occupied for longer periods of time."

Don't be stupid.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

"I find enough puzzles in my studies to keep me occupied. One could say that my whole line of work is but one large puzzle."

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

T'Mere

"And that line of work would be?"

Don't be stupid.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

"Research. Historical mostly, but I dabble here and there sometimes." He sips from a glass of orange juice, enjoying the sound of the bard's lute, clearly audible dispite the the faint din of breakfast below.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Will

Will walks in, "Dabbling... that's something I can appreciate." He glances around, smiling, "Food I can appreciate even more. Good morning all." He walks over and helps himself to several pastries, more than you would expect for such a thin fellow. "Any coffee, hot and black? And how many others are we waiting for?"
    Show me a hero, and I'll write you a tragedy.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Balen

A tall human saunters in, brushing his long golden hair out of his face. He scans the room as he adjusts a bright red sash, tied around his waist. A broad smile breaks across his face as he catches sight of the breakfast.

"Ahhh, breakfast - the most important meal of the day. Don't mind if I help myself do you, I'm starved."

Balen grabs a couple of pastries and a handful of fruit, but his attention is clearly on the other people in the room.

"Did I hear someone say something about coffee?"

He raises a pastry to his mouth, then pushes it back down onto the plate.

"Where are my manners, Balen Graz'zt, at your service."

He takes a deep bow, flourishing an arm, then straightens up, grabbing his plate and making his way over to T'Mere. He glances over the balcony then turns to T'Mere.

"Is this seat taken?"

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Kaberon ir'Morgrave
    As he walks in, Kabe remarks, "Haven't been here in a while. Brings back a few memories," he looks around and smile to the occupants, "I'm Kaberon ir'Morgrave. If we're going to work together you can call me Kabe."
    Then, directing his attention to the man in charge, "Interesting choice of venue.. Just two questions; what's the job and why did you contact us through telepathy and hold the meeting in a scrying-proof room? If you're not careful, folks will think you have something to hide."
    Folding@Home
    The Diamond Mind (A Tome of Battle prestige class)
    "I just ESP it a half-twist and. . ." Mark Clifton, "Star, Bright"

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

"The cofee should be right next to the milk. It should still be reasonably hot."

"A House Sivis sending reaches the proper recipient much faster than a telegram and it is always best to discuss important buisness in privacy. One never knows to what lengths competition will go."

He takes a last sip from his glass and sets it down. "Now that most of you are here, we can begin. I am what you might call an independant researcher. I have recently uncovered hints and rumors of an ancient site dating back to the so-called Age of Demons. I would like to employ you to investigate this location, and to retrieve a relic that I believe might yet remain there."

"This task is not without some degree of danger, which is why I require the services of individuals such as yourselves. The location, while nominally still in Khoirevaire, is somewhat remote, and so I would like to procure your services for a period of at least four weeks. You will have free choice of any treasure found at the site with the exception of the relics I seek, for which you will be paid in full. I can off you each a base fee of 250 gold pieces per week plus travel expenses. I will provide half up front."

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Will

Will raises his hand. "Will's the name, traps are my game." He pours some coffee... "Independent researcher who dabbles sounds a bit unprofessional, but that's not a problem for me if the pay is guranteed. What I do have a problem is exactitude on verbal or written contracts, do you want us to get you a relic or relics? It's mighty hard when part of our pay is whatever we find, not knowing what it is you plan to claim for yourself."
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Sur'kil looks Will up and down. "You're awefully tall for a gnome," he says with a smirk.

"All joking aside, I can't know exactly what you will find. I am fairly certain that one relic in particular can be found at the site, but there may be others of intrest to me there as well. However, I will pay you fair market price for any relics that I claim."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Bugbear in the Playground

Belamros nods to the newcomers.
    "I am pleased to make your acquaintance. I am Belamros Urthadar, a student of the study of mind over matter."

Turning back to their host, he says, "Could you at least tell us manner of "relics" you refer to? Would these be merely items of value or anything that might be useful or dangerous?"
    "It's not like chess, where choosing to play black or white dictates your entire strategy. Also, chess doesn't have steam cannons."

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

T'Mere

"I would like to know what relic you think is specifically there, and what might be as well. Also, beyond the single relic you know you want, would it be possible to negotiate to keep others, surrendering a portion of our pay?"

Don't be stupid.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Will

Will chuckles, "Exactly, unless you don't mind us going out in public or to your 'competitors' to ask what they think the fair market value of things are?"
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

25. - Top - End - #25
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Balen

Balen drains the last of his coffee and puts his cup down.

"I'll leave the haggling to those better suited. What interests me is how long you think this little endeavour will take, and how soon we can leave."

He stands up and makes his way back to the low table, eyeing the contents greedily.

"One thing, can you be any more more specific with regards the dangers you mentioned? One doesn't want to enter these things half cocked." A smile breaks out across his face. "Well, no more than is necessary."

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

"The relics I seek aren't anything dangerous or that would be particularly useful to you. The relics I am looking for are things such as tablets or slates with ancient writings, ancient works of art or symbology, or objects of religious significance. I would prefer not to go into specifics on what I am hoping to find before we are underway."

"I would be willing to negotiate prices on the relics, but I can assure you that you will not be able to get as good of a price for them from any of my potential competitors."

In answer to Balen's questions, he continues. "I intend to leave on the lightning rail this afternoon. Once we are finished with breakfast and these negotiations, you can make any last minute preparations that you need to before we set out."

"As for the dangers you are likely to face, there will probably be wildlife and definitely primitive tribes, both expected to be hostile."

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

T'Mere

T'Mere does a few numbers in his head, thinking for a moment. You said half up front, with travel expenses paid by you. Judging by the chairs, you expect six of us. A good, fast horse runs around seventy five gold coins, so six of us would be 450 gold coins there, plus the cost of saddles. Add in a pack mule to carry back your relics and carry four weeks of trail rations for each of us and tents. Say another hundred and sixty coins. Total off hand would be a little over six hundred gold, if the locals give us a fair price. Can anyone else think of what would be required for traveling?"

Don't be stupid.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

"You can leave the travel arrangements to me. Most of them have already been laid out in advance."

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

Kabe
    "My apologies. I've done some intelligence work, and I'm told it gave me a tendency to suspect secrets that aren't there. I'm onboard unless this mysterious location is in the Demon Wastes. I've known too many men not to come back from trips there."
    Last edited by thevorpalbunny; 2008-07-26 at 09:21 PM.
    Folding@Home
    The Diamond Mind (A Tome of Battle prestige class)
    "I just ESP it a half-twist and. . ." Mark Clifton, "Star, Bright"

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

"Rest assured, we won't be going there. I'm not suicidal."