New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [Avatar d20] Level 15 PCs vs. Monsters

I sit there, and use both excavate again now that the a%$%holes are up top this time I'm excavating it slowly using move a rock with it tom ake stairs!. (I swear to god if i fall down again i'm going to eat your face.)
    I'm using a combination of excavate, and move a rock to make staris decending as I go down.
    Last edited by Fan; 2008-07-31 at 10:25 PM.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Bugbear in the Playground

...so you're making stairs going down into the chamber you were in earlier? Where's the hole? Once we get that out of the way, we can move on to the next turn.
    Water, Earth, Fire, and Air: Benders of the Avatar world
    Monks and Rangers for a non-magical world
    Quote Originally Posted by KKL View Post
    Edition Wars and Nerd Rage destroyed Rome. Ceasar died because he was a crappy DM.
    Avatar By the amazing Mephibosheth

3. - Top - End - #93

PC Action Resolutions - Round 3

True to their reputations, the two firebenders immediately spring into action and send an all-out assault against their attackers, Jin's blue fire burning precisely as a surgeon's scalpel to the west while Lo Feng's blazing offense blackens the east. On both sides, the Dai Li have cause for worry, if either one ever gains a solid position from which to stand. Jin's opponent attempts desperately to deflect the flame directed against him, holding little hope against the firebender's precise aim, while Lo Feng's opponent elects to simply find the weak points in his opponent's attack, avoiding the fire altogether.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The first Dai Li attempts to deflect Bending against Jin's Fire Blast. DC 35. Failure means he takes 22 damage.

Deflect Bending - (1d20+17)[31]

The other Dai Li took 11 damage

The two other benders attempt to huddle behind a dome of ice, finally taking down the obscuring mist that had so crippled them. They are, however, apparently forgetting a fundamental of earthbending. You're standing on it, boy.
    Last edited by Eighth_Seraph; 2008-07-31 at 11:04 PM.
    Edition Wars and Nerd Rage destroyed Rome. Ceasar died because he was a crappy DM.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    How's Turaks' health looking? I need to decide if he or Nikkus is in more trouble at the moment. I probably only bought 1 round of time, if that, so I gotta make the most of it.

5. - Top - End - #95

yuk Re: [Avatar d20] Level 15 PCs vs. Monsters

Dai Li actions - Round 4

The "Earth King" yells "Take the huddlers!" to the western Dai Li agent as he quickly changes targets, launching an assault against Shui Jin from a completely unexpected angle.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Break Stance - (1d20+13)[23]
    Arrest - (1d20+13)[26]
    Attack 1 - (1d20+12)[27]
    Attack 2 - (1d20+7)[13]

The eastern Dai Li agent knows quite well that his firebending opponent could leave him as as stir-fry with a series of well-placed attacks, if this bumbling fool ever managed to land such a thing. Best to keep him at a distance, control his location. And for once, there's no need for subtlety. Well, but maybe it's best to just be a bit more subtle than usual. Heh.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Dai Li apparently does nothing, though he takes a deeper stance than he had up until this point. That's his move action. Then he takes a standard action to deepen and widen the hole that Turak started. The Dai Li agent takes a deep breath and pushes his energy downwards, creating a hole directly beneath the dome of earth, making N10, and O11 10 feet deep, and N11 5 feet deep.

The western agent is familiar with this strategy, having practiced it before during his initiation. He finishes the work begun by his partner, with the dome of ice conveniently trapping their victims, leaving no way out. Suddenly, the floor bottoms out below Nikkus and Turak, who are sent pummeling into blackness. Perhaps Lo Feng, as well.
    Spoiler
    Show
    N10, N11, and O11 all bottom out completely, with no save because there's nowhere for you guys to go at this point (Your moves tend to backfire a lot, AlterForm). As you fall, you feel sharp, painful spikes of stone piercing your skin, no doubt the work of the eastern Dai Li.

Falling Damage - (2d6)[7]
    Quote Originally Posted by d20 SRD
    Spikes at the bottom of a pit deal damage as daggers with a +10 attack bonus and a +1 bonus on damage for every 10 feet of the fall (to a maximum bonus on damage of +5). If the pit has multiple spikes, a falling victim is attacked by 1d4 of them. This damage is in addition to any damage from the fall itself.
    Nikkus #of spikes - (1d4)[2]
    Turak #of spikes - (1d4)[2]

spike#1 attack - (1d20+10)[19]
    spike#2 attack - (1d20+10)[21]
    spike#3 attack - (1d20+10)[28]
    spike#4 attack - (1d20+10)[27]

spike#1 damage - (1d4+2)[4]
    spike#2 damage - (1d4+2)[6]
    spike#3 damage - (1d4+2)[6]
    spike#4 damage - (1d4+2)[3]

Lo Feng must make a Reflex save or share their fate, as a Catapult from the Western Dai Li wells up beneath him. However, if he fails, Lo Feng is launched 5 feet west to N11 and 80 feet up, landing in the newly spiked pit below ground. Falling Damage would be 10d6, plus the spikes. Save DC 21.

Maps coming once I get Lo Feng's save result. Yes, maps. This match is going to go down in history.
    Last edited by Eighth_Seraph; 2008-07-31 at 11:49 PM.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    If I might try to tumble to reduce that damage a bit?
    Tumble Check - (1d20+14)[25] vs DC 15 for 10 ft shorter, 30 for 20 ft shorter.

Spikes do nothing after DR, despite piercing my water armor.

And yes, my plans do backfire a lot.

[EDIT]: Woot, all of 0 damage taken. Not that failing the tumble would've been a bother, since then it'd be...oh wait, it'd still be 0 damage.
    Heading to bed now before I try post while sleep-deprived and come up with another half-baked plan.
    Last edited by AlterForm; 2008-08-01 at 12:03 AM.

7. - Top - End - #97

Hrm. Stupid RAW. I'll let you do it, even though I don't think it should be possible, what with you landing on spikes instead of a solid floor to roll on or something. Hrm. check this.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by d20 SRD
    Falling
    Falling Damage

The basic rule is simple: 1d6 points of damage per 10 feet fallen, to a maximum of 20d6.

If a character deliberately jumps instead of merely slipping or falling, the damage is the same but the first 1d6 is nonlethal damage. A DC 15 Jump check or DC 15 Tumble check allows the character to avoid any damage from the first 10 feet fallen and converts any damage from the second 10 feet to nonlethal damage. Thus, a character who slips from a ledge 30 feet up takes 3d6 damage. If the same character deliberately jumped, he takes 1d6 points of nonlethal damage and 2d6 points of lethal damage. And if the character leaps down with a successful Jump or Tumble check, he takes only 1d6 points of nonlethal damage and 1d6 points of lethal damage from the plunge.

So you can't reduce damage unless the jump was intentional. Also, spikes are pathetically weak. I think I'm going to make a form just for making some decent spikes for pits.

Jin's Resolution
    Spoiler
    Show
    The flying stone fist hits Jin square in the chest, causing him to stumble back against the boulder behind him, immediately followed by a stony glove holding him fast to the wall. As Jin attempts to recover from the first strike, a stony shoe pummels him in the gut, taking advantage of his inability to defend.

Damage 1 - (4d6)[14]
    Damage 2 - (7d6)[25]

You're still at O8, but you're currently taking a -10 to bending due to the Break Stance and the shackle around your leg. DC 10 Strength check to break the shackle.

Nikkus' Resolution
    Spoiler
    Show
    I doubt the falling damage did anything through your DR, but you're in a pit now, 25 feet below O11. So ha. You're also prone.

Turak's Resolution
    Spoiler
    Show
    You're now 15 feet below N10, and take 10 damage from the spikes and 7 damage from the fall, for a total of 17 this round.

Lo Feng's Resolution
    Spoiler
    Show
    If you succeed on the Reflex save, you remain at N12 and have a wide open shot at the Dai Li. If you fail, you take 10d6 falling damage and spike damage, and are 25 feet below N11.

You passed. Congrats.
    Last edited by Eighth_Seraph; 2008-08-01 at 12:36 AM.

8. - Top - End - #98

Spoiler
    Show
    Reflex: (1d20+11)[29]
    Paragon Badger (14 HP)
    Str 23, Dex 32, Con 30, Int 17, Wis 27, Cha 19
    AC: 33, Claw: +29 Melee (1d2+19)
    Body by Jake Army. Avatar by Kyace.

9. - Top - End - #99

Very nice. Lemme get the new map up, then.

Updated Arena map
    Spoiler
    Show

I thought the burn marks were clever.

Underground map
    Spoiler
    Show
    The whole space is illuminated by the sunlight from the hole you just made. There is no other light. The lighter squares are all pillards, and the green square in the middle is decorative stone and has a small wooden table in the middle, bearing a cooling pot of tea and two cups.
    Last edited by Eighth_Seraph; 2008-08-01 at 12:34 AM.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ettin in the Playground

How did he know I was making that hole, and would'nt the fall be reduced a bit by the fact that I already made a hole going down?

11. - Top - End - #101

I guess I gotta let the cat outta the bag, for anyone that hasn't figured it out yet. They're all using Tremorsense as swift actions each round that they don't restore their Grasp of the Dai Li. The only reason that I'm not using Dust to cover the whole arena is that it would cripple your entire defense. Also, what you're suggesting about the hole makes sense. You only take 1d6 damage. Lemme roll that up for you.

Falling damage - (1d6)[4]

PCs' turn. And that makes it officially my self-imposed bedtime. You guys really just don't know when to die, do you?
    Last edited by Eighth_Seraph; 2008-08-01 at 12:34 AM.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

Not final; looking to coordinate with Turak.

"Lemme patch (you/myself) up, then you gotta launch us back outta here, Turak."

FF_Fanboy should read this as well...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spend a full-round action healing Turak for (4d6+7)[21] points of damage.

If Turak doesn't already go after Nikkus, he should delay so he can catapult us back up or something.
    Last edited by AlterForm; 2008-08-01 at 11:26 AM.

13. - Top - End - #103

You gotta problem, AlterForm. You have no water. There's no water in the underground chamber, either. I was just unable to eliminate the blue from the original map.

Also, by my calculation, Turak has taken 99 damage. 27 underground + 34 from Jin's pwn blast + 24 from being catapulted into the ice block + 14 from the fall and spikes = 99. 108 HP total.
    Last edited by Eighth_Seraph; 2008-08-01 at 10:38 AM.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Wow. And I forgot to add a waterskin to my character sheet. There is not a smiley to represent how I feel right now.

[EDIT]:
    Spoiler
    Show
    My armor! I'll just cannibalize the water from my armor to use for healing. The leftover water can just wind up on the ground, not a big deal.

Post edited; original actions stand.
    Last edited by AlterForm; 2008-08-01 at 11:26 AM.

15. - Top - End - #105

So...you're doing your original action? Just strikethrough or delete whatever you're not doing, please.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

Jin grunts with pain as the shackles hit him, but he had a plan. That Stupid Dai Lee agent wouldn't be around long if he could help it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Strength Check - (1d20-1)[13] Vs. DC 10 This roll is vitally important to what I do. Also, How long does the -5 to bending from break stance last, anyway?
    Last edited by Copacetic; 2008-08-01 at 12:43 PM.
    Not forgetting Yldenfrei and the wonderful avatar she made.

17. - Top - End - #107

The feat description doesn't say, but I'm ruling that it lasts until the end of your turn. Also, remember that the strength check is a move action.
    Last edited by Eighth_Seraph; 2008-08-01 at 12:23 PM.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

Jin, pinned to the wall, is stymied for a moment, then unleashes an almost continous stream of blue fire from his other leg.

Spoiler
    Show
    Five-foot step to N7, followed by a full-round attack of blue-fired fire blasts. Okay, I thought this through, and I have come to the conclusion that it doesn't matter if I'm shackled to the wall. I can still perform my action, just without the five-foot step. One extra from Firestorm, and Another from the haste from the chi enhancng tea. And no, us PCs never know when to die. Also, I am now down to 26 HP.

Attack1 - (1d20+16)[30]
    Attack2 - (1d20+16)[22]
    Attack3 - (1d20+11)[23]
    Attack4 - (1d20+6)[9]
    Attack5 - (1d20+1)[13]

Damage1 - (4d8)[16]
    Damage2 - (4d8)[16]
    Damage3 - (4d8)[21]
    Damage4 - (4d8)[23]
    Damage5 - (4d8)[20]

Okay, re-rechanged my action.

EDIT: I'm a dope. I didn't even say who I was attacking. The "Earth King", for clarification.
    Last edited by Copacetic; 2008-08-01 at 01:23 PM.

19. - Top - End - #109

Hrm. Erm, this is a tough decision to make, but it's my own mistake before for not saying anything. I really think that the Arrest seed should give a -5 to attack rolls, since it takes away your Dex bonus and all. If I said it now, though, only one of your attacks would hit, and I'm sure you'd want to change your turn.

Alright, since the point of this thread is to test the system as written, I'll allow that turn, but I'm gonna change my proposed Arrest seed to reflect and then re-post.

Currently waiting on Turak and Lo Feng.

20. - Top - End - #110

Lo Feng grunted at the Dai Li's elusive-ness, it was time for a more direct approach.

The firebender took a few steps forward and lept forward, his feet flying forward, one soon after the other shooting flames towards the tenacious earthbender.

Spoiler
    Show
    Five-foot step to N13.

Full-round Attack, Targeting M19

Firebending check: +34

Fire Blast + Fire Kick + Break Stance (DC: 10) (1d20+9)[23]
    Fire Blast + Fire Kick + Break Stance (DC: 10) (1d20+4)[23]

Damage: (4d6)[13] + [/roll]2d6[/roll]
    Damage: (4d6)[12] + [/roll]2d6[/roll]

Edit: Whoops, faulty tags.

Additional Fire Kick damage (2d6=6, 2d6=7)
    Last edited by Paragon Badger; 2008-08-02 at 10:50 AM.
    Paragon Badger (14 HP)

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Ka-bump?
    10char
    Last edited by AlterForm; 2008-08-02 at 05:54 PM.

22. - Top - End - #112

Heh. Don't worry about it. Badger, are you purposely not using Firestorm? And if Fanboy doesn't answer in the next hour, I'm ruling that Turak is too stunned from his fall to do anything this turn.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, can we speed that up? Because I have to be somewhere in half an hour and I won't be able to use the computer until really really late tomorrow.

24. - Top - End - #114

Er, I don't think your next turn is going to be much of a problem, Frigs. Y'see, these Dai Li each have a dip in Monk. Wisdom to AC would do wonders for your characters.

Round 4 PC Resolutions

The arena has suddenly become a place of great tension, as the crowd slowly realizes that the fighters which had so greatly impressed them against the coliseum beasts were hanging on a string. The firebenders fight savagely, giving not quarter and requesting no quarter. Blue fire arcs vengefully towards the Earth King's impostor, who reflexively attempts to erect a wall of earth before the searing flame reaches him. Red fire characterizes the eastern arena, as Lo Feng tries his damnedest to take down his frustratingly defensive opposition, with no results.
    Shui Jin
    Spoiler
    Show
    Your first attack hits, assuming that the Deflect Bending attempt fails. DC 30.

Deflect Bending - (1d20+17)[29]

Lo Feng
    Spoiler
    Show
    No luck. Good try, though

Turak and Nikkus
    Spoiler
    Show
    Deciding that his teammate's failing health is more important than his personal protection in the case that either of them ever gets back to the surface, Nikkus focuses the undulating layer of water around his body into a thin spread on his hands, and imbues it with his own life energy, allowing it to flow through Turak's lifestream.

Turak is now at 31/108 HP.

Just a suggestion, if either firebender survives the next round. Maybe you could destroy the rocks on which they stand? That's worth enough cool points that I'll set an arbitrarily possible amount of damage that they could take that wouldn't reflect the 60 inches of 15 hit points per inch. Assuming you want to, and assuming you survive to do it. But seriously, try getting creative with your fire. Y'all are getting pwnd.
    Last edited by Eighth_Seraph; 2008-08-02 at 09:18 PM.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    That has got to be the most depressing and anti-climactic spoiler I have ever opened.

26. - Top - End - #116

I'm sorry, AlterForm. I was at a Tae Kwon Do tournament today, and was forcing myself to do this instead of sleeping. I'm in the DMing groove now, though, so I can make it fluffier and less "Wow. That's terrible." And yes, it's a crime against DMing, I can see it now. I'll fix it.

Dai Li actions - Round 5

At this point, it's all a matter of mopping up the leftovers. The "Earth King" drops his earthen guise and smiles smugly, knowing that every criminal in Ba Sing Se will think twice before so much as stealing candy from children after this demonstration of Dai Li tactical superiority. He clenches his fist briefly and smiles again as the earth covers his hands and hardens into stone, executing vicious roundhouse that sends his stone shoe hurtling into Shui Jin's defenseless position, aiming for a non-vital yet extremely painful point on his abdomen, and preparing a full combination in case the firebender manages to stay on his feet.

Spoiler
    Show
    Swift to recharge Grasp of the Dai Li, then an Standard action to attack, dealing non-lethal damage. If the attack knocks Jin out, then he uses Move a Rock to take all of the earth immediately necessary to move the dome of ice out of the way, and to the space between two boulders, centered at the northwest corner of R13. If Jin is conscious, then there's a full attack coming. Jin is still denied Dex to AC, so it's a sneak attack.

Earth King Attack #1 - (1d20+17)[30]
    Damage 1 - (6d6)[26]

Earth King Attack #2 - (1d20+17)[35]
    Earth King Attack #3 - (1d20+12)[20]
    Earth King Attack #4 - (1d20+7)[19]

Damage 2 - (3d6)[8] + Sneak Attack - (3d6)[7]

EDIT: Jin is officially unconscious at this point, at -9 HP, if we include non-lethal.

Damage 3 - (3d6)[12] + Sneak Attack - (3d6)[8]
    Damage 4 - (3d6)[11] + Sneak Attack - (3d6)[8]

If Jin goes down, all other attacks are directed at Lo Feng.

Lemme get the other two Dai Li's actions up. Surrender is an option, by the way.
    Last edited by Eighth_Seraph; 2008-08-02 at 09:22 PM.

27. - Top - End - #117

Realizing that the time to finish this is coming, the eastern Dai Li seeks to incapacitate the remaining fighter above-ground, as a spectacle to the crowd of the humiliation that those who threaten the cultural security of Ba Sing Se would be subject to.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Full-attack with the first two attacks being arrests.

Arrest1 - (1d20+13)[33]
    Arrest2 - (1d20+13)[33]

EDIT: Oof. Two natural twenties. Fun. Your new AC is 17, without your Dex.

Attack1 - (1d20+12)[18]
    Attack2 - (1d20+7)[13]

Damage 1 - (3d6)[3] + Sneak Attack - (3d6)[10]
    Damage 2 - (3d6)[11] + Sneak Attack - (3d6)[8]

Seeing that his primary prey has been duly taken care of, the western Dai Li presses the advantage against the lone firebender still attempting to stand on his own two feet. Hot-headed fool. Taking a second to wrap his hands in stone once more, the Dai Li launches two earthen hands at his opponent's wrists, hoping to lay him completely immobile against the ground.

Spoiler
    Show
    Full-attack with the first two attacks being arrests. Yup, same action. Copy/pasted and everything.

Arrest1 - (1d20+13)[22]
    Arrest2 - (1d20+13)[22]

Attack1 - (1d20+12)[31]
    Attack2 - (1d20+7)[17]

Damage 1 - (3d6)[12] + Sneak Attack - (3d6)[14]
    Damage 2 - (3d6)[17] + Sneak Attack - (3d6)[13]

That's 66 damage altogether from 3 hits, so 63 damage after DR, I'm pretty sure. Oh. And you're completely immobilized, as the Immobilize seed. You can break out with a DC...21 Strength check. Good luck?

I don't like the way the one-sidedness of this match. Seriously, do my agents seem broken to you guys? They're all 15th level...
    PCs' turn. Lemme get the map up.

Updated Arena Map
    Spoiler
    Show

Underground Map
    Spoiler
    Show

@ AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show
    If Fanboy doesn't post within a half-hour that you do, then you can control Turak's actions for the round. I'll send you his character sheet.
    Last edited by Eighth_Seraph; 2008-08-02 at 09:44 PM.

28. - Top - End - #118

Lo Feng's eyes went whirly for a moment, then became 'X's, the cocky firebender's tongue hanging limply out the side of his mouth.

HP: -10/99

Spoiler
    Show
    I'd suggest sneak attack not being applicable to blasts. Only water benders are shown having any real precision in their blasts (cutting the drill's pillars), while the other benders kind of just chuck things at one another. Earth benders especcially.

Aside from that, I can't tell how the battle went, balance-wise. There was alot of bad luck and/or circumstance in the Dai Li's favor.

Also, I did consider blasting away the rock underneath the Dai Li's feet (and I tried knocking him off with Break Stance in lieu of that Bull Rush seed), but a quick look at Rock's Hardness and HP quickly made that a silly move without Blue Fire or similiar seeds. I was considering Incandecence' Melt Stone, but the effect would have taken 3 rounds while I would much rather go the Damage-per-second route against the Dai Li agents, in this situation, at least.
    Paragon Badger (14 HP)

29. - Top - End - #119

Huh? The last I have of Lo Feng is him being at 79/99 health. Check that again, please. I no like killing my PCs.

Also, blasts usually can't deal precision-based damage. You'll notice that I characterized all the sneak attacks as either hands or feet made of stone. It's a Dai Li exclusive template called Grasp of the Dai Li. It also allows non-lethal damage.

Also, if you want to do something cool, awesome and/or plausible but impossible by RAW, go ahead and ask. I'll probably make a way for you to do it, though not necessarily an easy way.

30. - Top - End - #120

Quote Originally Posted by Eighth_Seraph View Post
    Huh? The last I have of Lo Feng is him being at 79/99 health. Check that again, please. I no like killing my PCs.

Also, blasts usually can't deal precision-based damage. You'll notice that I characterized all the sneak attacks as either hands or feet made of stone. It's a Dai Li exclusive template called Grasp of the Dai Li. It also allows non-lethal damage.

Also, if you want to do something cool, awesome and/or plausible but impossible by RAW, go ahead and ask. I'll probably make a way for you to do it, though not necessarily an easy way.
    That's what I get for only reading the bending and firebender pages.

Damage: 69 damage from Dai Li on the side, 39 from Earth King after Jin was knocked out. Ouch.

I considered burning off my armor with a quick unarmed strike + blast, instead of taking the minute or so to normally take it off. A +1 bonus to firebending without it, and firebenders reach their A-game when shirtless. But again, DPS > Coolness.
    Paragon Badger (14 HP)