New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [Avatar d20] Level 15 PCs vs. Monsters

Alrighty then. I'm gonna RP this later on. Right now it's the turn for the underground dudes.
    Water, Earth, Fire, and Air: Benders of the Avatar world
    Monks and Rangers for a non-magical world
    Quote Originally Posted by KKL View Post
    Edition Wars and Nerd Rage destroyed Rome. Ceasar died because he was a crappy DM.
    Avatar By the amazing Mephibosheth

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll have it tomorrow, I promise. At the moment, however, I'm tired and liable to come up with yet another "brilliant" plan.

3. - Top - End - #123

'kay. G'night. I think we have some good info to ponder for the project.
    Edition Wars and Nerd Rage destroyed Rome. Ceasar died because he was a crappy DM.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

"Get us outta here, Turak."

Nikkus waited for Turak to do something to get the duo out of the hole they were in. He didn't have to wait long.

Spoiler
    Show
    Nikkus
    Move: Do Nothing.
    Standard: Ready an action melt the ice dome and fire the water at the nearest Dai Li Agent as an Ice Shards attack, then 5-ft step to P11. 10(shards) + 5(melt) + 4(form) + 16(+4d6) = DC 35. Trigger is Turak moving off the column he creates on his turn, because of the weird way readied action triggers work. (4th sentence under Ready an Action)
    Ranged Attack - (1d20+14)[33]
    Damage - (4d6)[17]

Turak
    Standard: Column. If I kept track correctly, Nikkus and Turak are at -30 from ground level. We need a large column to fit both on there. 10(base) + 5(+5 ft radius) + 16(+20 ft up) = DC 31.
    Non-Action: Five-Foot step to N9. This triggers Nikkus' readied action, which clears the ice dome, which clears the path for movement.
    Move: Quickened Column. 10(base) + 20(quick) + 5(+5 ft radius). Centered on top of the stone thingamabob at M5/M6/N5/N6. DC 22 reflex to jump off (and take 1d6 falling damage); failure means they wind up on top of a 20-ft high rock column (including the base height from the original rock).

**prays his plan doesn't backfire somehow**
    Last edited by AlterForm; 2008-08-03 at 10:38 AM.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Looking at the map again, Nikkus might need a defensive bending concentration check.

Concentration Check - (1d20+20)[35]
    Last edited by AlterForm; 2008-08-03 at 11:02 AM.

6. - Top - End - #126

I'm quite curious as to why you felt the need to grant the western Dai Li the high ground. I haven't figured out a way to use it against you just yet, but I don't see the point to that particular action action.

Anyway, that's all perfectly within the rules, so the Dai Li gets a Deflect Bending attempt against Nikkus' blast. The nearest Dai Li is the western one, the same one who you gave a booster seat to just now.

Spoiler
    Show
    Deflect Bending - (1d20+17)[25]

That's a hit, definitely. But seriously, you may want to consider surrender. Like, now.
    Last edited by Eighth_Seraph; 2008-08-03 at 11:24 AM.

7. - Top - End - #127

Hm. Idea.

As the Earth King's impostor processes this new development, the crowd cheers wildly at the return of the apparently fallen heroes, coming back as if from the dead, looking to be in better condition than before their fall. Then, a wicked smile overcomes the impostor's face as he forms new gloves and shoes from the earth at this feet.

"Now it's time. Arrest them."

As he gives the emotionless command, the impostor launches a stony glove at Nikkus and another at Turak, trying to pin them to the ground. Understanding that the order is meant to be the final point of the match, the eastern Dai Li makes a kick sweeping motion with his foot, covering the area in a heavy dust before sinking into a deep stance, awaiting a predetermined move from his partner to the west.

The western Dai Li takes the cue from his partner and the two take identical stances for a split second before shoving their fists upwards, forcing the stone around their opponents up and around in a spikes around their limbs, trying to cut off all movement.

Spoiler
    Show
    First, a full attack from the "Earth King", preceded by a five-foot step to H12. The first attack is an Arrest attempt on Nikkus, and the second is an attempt on Turak. After that, he just blows the rest of his full attack on non-lethal sneak attacks with his shoes, the first against Turak and the second against Nikkus.

Then, though, it's a cooperative Immobilize attempt against both the PCs. Adding a second target makes the DC 40, and they can both make the base DC of 30, so it's legal. Together, their Earthbending check is a 45. If the Arrest seeds are successful, you each take a -5 to the DC 22 Reflex save. Good luck.

Arrest vs. Turak - (1d20+13)[31]
    Arrest vs. Nikkus - (1d20+13)[17]

Attack vs. Turak - (1d20+12)[28]
    [roll=Attack vs. Nikkus] 1d20+7[/roll]

Go ahead and make your reflex saves. If you both fail, this match is over.

8. - Top - End - #128

Whoops. Messed up the attack vs. Nikkus. Also, forgot to put damage in.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack vs. Nikkus - (1d20+7)[11]

Damage vs. Turak - (6d6)[29]
    Damage vs. Nikkus - (6d6)[33]

Turak is at 2 HP, I believe. I have no idea what Nikkus is at. Both the Arrest and the attack against Nikkus failed. Waiting on the Immobilize now...
    Last edited by Eighth_Seraph; 2008-08-03 at 11:56 AM.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Go Go Gadget Reflex Save!
    Reflex - (1d20+12)[21] ... dammit.

Nikkus should be at full health, by the way. 40/66 HP
    Last edited by AlterForm; 2008-08-03 at 12:05 PM.

10. - Top - End - #130

I'm guessing that was Nikkus'. What about Turak, as long as you're controlling him? Remember that he takes a -5 from the successful Arrest.

No, Nikkus took at least 26 damage in the first wave of attacks, while he was huddling in the mist and being pounded by opponents with Tremorsense. I just looked through the thread, and I didn't see any other damage, so that should be it.
    Last edited by Eighth_Seraph; 2008-08-03 at 12:04 PM.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Forgot about Turak. Lessee...
    (1d20+9)[21] You've got to be kidding me.
    [EDIT]: And -5 still. Forgot to add that in. Yeah, match over. What's the casualty list look like?
    [EDIT2]: Right about Nikkus' damage. Puts him at 40/66.
    Last edited by AlterForm; 2008-08-03 at 12:05 PM.

12. - Top - End - #132

And that's before the -5. Don't worry about it too much. This match is OVER! You can stick around if you living folks want to see the RP results of your losses.

What were your opinions on the match (and my DMing and planning)? Was it entertaining, did it seem forced, was it predictable?
    Last edited by Eighth_Seraph; 2008-08-03 at 12:06 PM.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

"You probably coulda just asked us to leave and have tea with ya. Too late now."

Great match Seraph.

Reasons I think the Dai Li Agents won:
    -Nikkus' plans backfired twice (mist bank, ice dome)
    -Nikkus never went for a blasty approach
    -Nikkus and Turak barely managed to contribute (at least as far as I could tell. The firebenders were doing most of the damage)
    -The Dai Li were very good at cooperating. I think when I gained control of Turak and Nikkus was the only time we saw our side pulling off something together.
    -That goddamned cavern.

Notes:
    -I considered using the Octopus or Tentacle forms to attack, but the full-round to maintain kept me from doing it because then I'd only get a 5-ft step every turn.
    -How close to defeat were the Dai Li guys? Lo Feng and Jin were blasting them pretty good, methinks.
    -Wish I'd gotten another action, so I could run to the river, form a platform of ice, then project a mist cloud. Tremorsense that.
    -The idea with the Column was to just put the western Dai Li so high he'd take a bit hit coming down or wind up effectively out of the battle. The next round Turak could've put him at +60 from ground level if he failed or forfeited his saves.
    Last edited by AlterForm; 2008-08-03 at 12:23 PM.

14. - Top - End - #134

The crowd sits on the edge of their seats, their view cruelly obscured by the whirling dust surrounding their favorite combatants. Suddenly, the Earth King's impostor laughs disdainfully and waves a hand dismissively at the dust cloud around his opponents, blowing the particles away.

The crowd gasps in borderline horror as they see spikes of stone crossing and criss-crossing around the limbs of Nikkus and Turak, holding them still, being able to move nothing but their eyes and their mouths. Rialu, true to form, steps up to the announcer's podium and declares to the crowd...

"And THIS, ladies and gentlemen, has been a demonstration of a new generation of Dai Li, by the order of the Earth King himself! We of Ba Sing Se may rest easy knowing that the best security of the entire world is on patrol within our walls at all times."

As Rialu speaks, the Earth King's impostor stomps his foot heavily on the floor, causing a violent jutting of earth below him that catapults him up to Rialu's position, where he takes a place at his side.

"And THIS man, ladies and gentlemen, is Long Feng, a promising young agent of the Dai Li that may someday come to be its head. Let's give him and his fellow agents a round of applause!"

As the thunderous applause dies down and the crowd sits back for another match, Long Feng drops back down to the arena floor and liftss the body of Lo Feng callously by the earthen shackles around his hands and feet with earthbending, tossing it like a rag doll onto the column Turak had made. His fellow Dai Li do the same with Jin's unconscious form, then they all pile onto the column to the underground, and the three Dai Li slowly lower it, sealing the hole in the roof after them.

Nothing was ever heard from those competitors again, though there have been rumors that the Dai Li have found uses for firebenders and waterbenders among their ranks...

15. - Top - End - #135

Honestly, AlterForm, I would've considered it a winning strategy for Nikkus to make as many Large tentacles as he could with Octopus Form, then have the firebenders launching full attacks while within the form's threatened range, so Nikkus could use them to block the Dai Li's stone fists while Turak made sure that Dust seeds wouldn't get in the way or otherwise hampering the Dai Li with Catapults, save-or-be-rendered-immobile, etc.

But I guess that's a bit much to ask of a group that's working together for the first time.

Also, none of the Dai Li took so much as half of their Total HP in damage, and the eastern one took next to none, only really taking that one hit from Lo Feng's Fire Sweep.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, we just got pummeled. Nice game, Seraph.
    Not forgetting Yldenfrei and the wonderful avatar she made.