New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default [Avatar d20] Playtesting Marowak vs. Gruwaf

Avatar d20 Playtesting Combat 5 – Level 15 Party v. Monster(s)

Arena Map

Spoiler
    Show

A hush falls over the crowd as the wooden gates at the south end of the arena open with a creak and the combatants file out from the southern gate of the arena, taking their places and preparing for the round to start. A lean, well-muscled man steps up to the announcer's podium, his darkly tanned skin contrasting starkly with his loose white trousers, the only article of clothing he wears. The arrow tattoos of an air nomad have been altered and widened into the form of blue snakes striping his back, limbs, and bald head. The man opens his mouth wide, and his voice booms from the announcer’s box.

Welcome, ladies and gentlemen of Ba Sing Se, to a new round of heart-stopping, nail-biting, earth-shattering action at the Grand Coliseum!"

The crows goes wild at this, excited by the exotic look of the day's competitors.

Today in the arena we have some fresh meat, an eager young earthbender wanting to climb his way up the ranks. Ladies and gentleman, show some support for Ba Sing Se's own MAROWAK!

The crowd reacts favorably to this, their patriotism leading to undulating applause for this young gladiator and his rather cumbersome warhammer.

However, our countryman will be faced by an animal that may quite possibly the most dangerous and bizarre creature to grace our ring. Discovered near the deserts to the west of our great city, this avatar of speed and lightning must now fight for its freedom, and its life! Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Gruwaf, the wolf of the heavens!

Now, let the battle BEGIN!

Map with Positions
    Spoiler
    Show

Yellow = Gruwaf
    Reddish = Marowak
    Water, Earth, Fire, and Air: Benders of the Avatar world
    Monks and Rangers for a non-magical world
    Quote Originally Posted by KKL View Post
    Edition Wars and Nerd Rage destroyed Rome. Ceasar died because he was a crappy DM.
    Avatar By the amazing Mephibosheth

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: [Avatar d20] Playtesting Marowak vs. Gruwaf

Spoiler
    Show

Initiative (1d20+2)[9]

I know, I know, he's officially 'too short.' Pretend like he's medium size, it's just flavor to go along with the opponent

A man standing only three foot three and weighing ninety nine pounds walked into the arena. His armor was covered by a small bit of brown leather clothing, the helm made out of a large skull. His warhammer was shaped like a massive bone, and he growled his presence.

3. - Top - End - #3

Gruwaf growled menacingly at the arena's animal handlers as they attempted to prod him out of the ring. One particularly foolish man actually touched him with the metal rod, and received a vicious shock of electricity for his trouble.

The spark of sentience within Gruwaf detests this game, but also understands that he will never see his pups again if he does not go through with it. Lightning arcs from the beast's spines as he fills the air around him with an electric current.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative - (1d20+4)[14]
    Last edited by Eighth_Seraph; 2008-08-14 at 11:12 PM.
    Edition Wars and Nerd Rage destroyed Rome. Ceasar died because he was a crappy DM.

4. - Top - End - #4

Seizing the opportunity to prepare his defenses, Gruwaf fully bristles his spines and begins vibrating violently, moving faster and faster until his image appears split between two locations. Each of the wolf-like images charges forward and jumps across the stream in perfect unison, stopping just short of the diminutive opponent, growling in a wavering, vibrating tone.

Spoiler
    Show
    Swift action to raise volt shield, move action to begin Double team, and then a normal move. Here's the DC 15 Jump.

Jump - (1d20+14)[27]

The images are at N11 and N13.Your turn.
    Last edited by Eighth_Seraph; 2008-08-14 at 11:28 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

There's two of them, Marowak stated, So I guess I better hit them both! With that he stamped the ground not once but twice, the first shaking the ground about him and the second kicking up a layer of dust.

Spoiler
    Show

For reference:
    http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=75034

So first the Earthquake check...
    Earthbending take 10: 37 against a DC of 20, so a radius of 20ft earthquake centered on me.

EDIT: Please make a DC 32 balance check or fall prone.

Now the Dust check, take 10 for a 33 against a DC of 30. A 10ft radius dust cloud centered on me.
    Last edited by Superglucose; 2008-08-15 at 12:05 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6

Spoiler
    Show
    Ugh! That's such a broken move. We need to do something about those ridiculous Balance DCs.

Balance - (1d20+4)[21]

As the earth shakes beneath his paws, Gruwaf falls sprawling to the floor with a surprised whimper. Quickly recovering, he scrambles to his feet and disappears for a split second, reappearing a split second later and clamping down hard on his opponent's right leg.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm assuming that being knocked prone cancels out my Double Team, so I settle into N11.

Move action to stand, Standard action to quick-attack to O12, and swift to turn the bite into a Thunder Fang. It's not that hard to remember where you were. 21 or higher on the Concealment is a hit.

Attack - (1d20+14)[22]
    Damage - (1d6+2)[6] + (5d6+10)[22] =
    Concealment - (1d100)[72]

If the attack hits, Jolteon get a free trip attempt on a successful Bite. Also, make a DC 18 fortitude save or be dazed for Daze - (1d4-1)[3] rounds

Trip - (1d20+4)[14]

And that's my cue to sleep.
    Last edited by Eighth_Seraph; 2008-08-15 at 12:09 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

Spoiler
    Show

Honestly speaking, that's pretty much game. If I fail this fortitude save, I'm done.

Fortitude (1d20+8)[15]
    Strength (1d20+4)[5]

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, no offense but that battle was retarded. I'm dead. I get to sit around waiting three rounds during which he deals at least 28 damage?

In the canon of Pokemon, quick attacks are tackling attacks and especially with being able to swift action to the thunder fang I really don't think it should get to thunder fang + quick attack. That takes a character with GOOD fort save and a con bonus out fifty percent of the time, and he gets to move at least sixty feet, the last thirty of which aren't affected by terrain, before doing so.

Anyways, it's over. GG.

9. - Top - End - #9

I'm not particularly interested in keeping this within the canon of Pokémon. As a matter of fact, I went out of my way to make sure that I didn't make it canon. I see your point, though. I'm changing the daze to a single round and granting the usual per-day limit to Thunder Fang (usable half his Con modifier daily)

Would you be interested in finishing the match using these fixes? As in, you're only dazed for one round.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Nah. It looks fine, it's just... one lvl 10 versus a ecl 10 doesn't work very well. If we got other players, maybe... I just don't want to 1v1 this thing.