New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Blindsight

1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Blindsight

It is a cool day in the DarkRoot forest. Your misfit group had each received a letter from a raven to meet someone here. With hopes of Adventure and riches you quickly set off not once wondering why you would be contacted this way. Looking around some of the others gathered here seem like people who possibly souldnt be working together but the 4 of you are here each clutching the same peice of paper regardless of who the others are.

You all Hear a rustling sound and turn to see a frail old blind human man come into the clearing being helped by a young dragonborn female in robes.

The old Man faces you his milky blind eyes staring you down as you hear a rasping voice in his throat as he speaks.
    "im so glad you camer young ones. You are my last hope. My name is Alrach sun'Dier, and this is my student Zhara. I have a burdensom task for you all. I am sorry to ask of you to fulfil my duty but i am far to old and Zhara is but a student. I am a wizard. In my younger days I was very renowned. one of the most powerful in all the realms. But Alas I did one day meet my match. An Evil Lich Lord named Sa'Jin. He was superior to me in eery way. In a moment of desperation I cast a spell which bound the lich's very essence to my soul trapping him. I went into self exile. My death is fast approaching and with my death he will once again be released. Zhara was meant to take over my burden but in my present state i am no longer powerful enough to comment the ritual on my own. i will need the lichs phylactory. I broke it into 4 pieces when i defeated him. this is the only way to keep him contained. I have looked into you souls and i believe only your group to be worthy of this task. will you accept it? there is much to gain from it.
    Last edited by juggalotis; 2008-08-01 at 09:49 PM.
    He came out of the closet? wow who could have known he was a bard this whole time.

Thanks to crimson Angel for my kickarse avatar.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Blindsight

The blond dwarf approaches the old Wizard with a cocky swagger. "An evil Lich Lord? I've read every possible way to defeat them! Once I've gathered the phylactery's pieces we should destroy him and save your apprentice the trouble. Who's with me?!

Arcana for if I actually know how to kill Liches - (1d20+2)[7]
    History for hearing about Alrach sun'Dier - (1d20+7)[24]

(OOC - How do you want us doing dice rolls? Spoiler them, or keep them open?)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

The red-skinned tiefling smiles at the man's story. "A lich you say? Sounds interesting. I'll help you."

Spoiler
    Show

History to remember the old man (1d20+4)[8]
    A mind without purpose will walk in dark places. - Gideon Ravenor

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Celeg

Celeg looked around, taking in the sights and sounds of the forest, seemingly not paying attention to what the old man had to say. When Alrach finished, the elf said, "Hm? Oh, sure. Why not?"

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

OOC: Blanhey had heard the name before. Alrach Had been an extremely powerful and well known wizard over a century ago. after he set out to discover the roots of a plague he was never seen or heard from again. the plague known as the inner death however did stop with his dissappearance. His known magical prowess is obviously the cause of his extended life.
    you do not know the specifics of lich hunting other then the phylactory is essential.

cayis you do not remember anything extra about alrach.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------

Your enthusiasm is most pleasing
    says alrach in his rasping voice
    And what about you mighty gnoll?
    He came out of the closet? wow who could have known he was a bard this whole time.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Felix

The large Gnoll looks down on the small old man. He jerks his head toward the other group members. He speaks in oddly unaccented common. Where they go, I go.
    Caesar Asmodeus by Andraste

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

A Friendly smile crosses the old mans lips and he gestures to Zhara who walks up to the Gnoll passign him a map.
    The first of the Pieces is located in the subteranian realm known as the heart of the world. if will be closely guarded so u will have to be weary.
    The old man mumbles a few words and a portal opens near him. and he hands each of you a small ring This will take you as far as i can safely move you. the rings will allow yu to communicate with me tewlepathically. i wish you luck.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

"Wait. What will be guarding it? And what does it look like? We need more to go on than this."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

"Yes, information on what may be found in the Heart of the World is essential to ensure our success is swift. Also, perhaps you should tell us where all of the pieces are now, so that we will not need to return to you every time we find one of them."

10. - Top - End - #10

Celeg

Celeg peered at the ring briefly before slipping it on his finger. "There's a faster way to find out than standing around talking about it," he said, striding for the portal. "Come on, eh? It's not like we'll have an opportunity to gear up or anything. If he didn't think we could handle it, we wouldn't be here," he added.

Spoiler
    Show
    Seriously, from what I've seen of 4E, 200+ hp dragons are considered an even challenge for five first level characters. What, me worry?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Felix

Felix reaches out his hand and puts it firmly on Celegs shoulder, stopping him completely. Perhaps that way is faster, but its not necessarily better. We need to find out what we're dealing with before we go running off to our deaths.

[OOC]
    Spoiler
    Show
    would this be an appropriate place for an Insight check? well... it can't hurt to roll anyway (1d20+7)[15]
    Last edited by Lord_Asmodeus; 2008-08-02 at 12:15 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12

Celeg

Shaking off the gnoll's grip, Celeg said, "Say what you want to say, but keep your paws off me, eh? I'll see you on the other side of the portal." That said, Celeg stepped through the portal, sunrod in hand, ready to light it if necessary.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

"Wait! You shouldn't go through alone!" The dwarf tries to stop the elf a moment too late. "...Zehir's venom, that fool! These rings let us talk to you with our minds, Lord Alrach? I suspect we'll need them." He slips on his own ring and rushes through the portal.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

I know not what guards the pieces i cast them out a century ago. but know thias the lich's very essence is within those pieces and that any creature with an evil heart will be drawn by it's power. Embracing it's evil will give them considerable power and it is not something that will be given up easilly. i do however know that among many creatures there a large tribe of goblinoids was there at the time. i do not however know if they still reside there. the maps were magically created and i have not seen anything with my eyes in along time as you can see. you need not return here until you have all the pieces you can communicate with my through the rings

Alrach states to the remaining 2 adventurers as he fishes around in his bag and produces an earring. he explains that it will allow you to speak the language of the subteranian goblin tribe if they are still there. he has only one and lets you all decide who will be best suited to it.

The portal will not last much longer and as far as equipment goes you will find many being, unsavory as they are, who deal in trade.
    Last edited by juggalotis; 2008-08-02 at 12:38 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    what about my insight check? Does it just not work in this situations?

16. - Top - End - #16

Celeg

Through his ring, Celeg thought, "Thank you, sir. Interesting information, that." Turning to the dwarf, he said, "And I'm not alone, am I? Celeg, by the way."

Then he set about properly scouting his surroundings.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception: [roll]1d20+9

17. - Top - End - #17

Spoiler
    Show
    Darn it.... Perception: (1d20+9)[17]

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

"I am Blanhey, he who is called the Scholar." Blanhey readies his weapon as he warily examines the portal's endpoint for danger.

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll=Perception]1d20+1[/roll]
    Last edited by NecroRebel; 2008-08-02 at 12:52 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Now why didn't that work? Perception - (1d20+1)[8]

20. - Top - End - #20

Spoiler
    Show
    If you preview your post, your rolls won't work. That's at least one of the reasons I've found for it to not work.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm still waiting to see if my insight check is ok

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Cayis looks over at the gnoll. "I will wear the earring if you don't mind. My appearance may be the easiest for them to handle."
    He puts on the earring before turning and walking through the portal after the others. Once on the other side he takes a quick look around.

Spoiler
    Show

Perception (1d20+2)[9]

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

OOC: sorry didnt notice your insight check

The gnoll notices nothing unusual about the man that would cause a reason for suspision.

Your group in its scanning of the waypoint find yourselves in a large natural cavern there are only 2 tunnels leading out one of which has some moonlight coming through the other stretches back into darkness. there doesnt appear to be any threat at this time here.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Felix

Felix looks over the tiefling and nods, then follows the dwarf and the elf through the portal, map in hand.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

You, gnoll! Roll out the map so I can plot the quickest route to the Heart of the World and the phylactery piece!"

(OOC)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Just so people know, I'm probably gonna be rudely ordering people around a lot. I don't necessarily expect you to obey. Blanhey the Scholar thinks he's a much better leader than he actually is, so he's going to come off as a major jerk.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

"Or you could just be a little louder and maybe someone will bring it to us," Cayis replies, shaking his head. "I think first we need to determine what...skills each of us brings to this little group, so we know what we have to work with. I myself am a master of the arcane." He looks at each of the others expectingly.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Felix

The towering gnoll tosses the map, still in a tight scroll, at the dwarf. Turning the second it was out of his hand, he addressed the Tiefling, holding up the pendant he has around his neck, it was a symbol, a fanged mouth biting down on a large sword. I serve Bel, the Lord of the First in all things. I fight in his name.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

"Hmph. I am Blanhey, he who is called the Scholar, student of war and history, among the greatest captains to have ever lived! Follow me, and we are certain to be victorious against all we face." As he speaks, the dwarf catches, unrolls, and examines the map.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

The map as you open it appears blank but suddenly a very base map burns into it and you hear Alrach through the rings

This is the way your particular carvern series went the last time i was there. Be aware they may have changed over the years.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

"Alright then. I assume that large square chamber is where you left the piece then?"

Spoiler
    Show

OOC: So just how big a series of caves are we looking at? How big is the cavern we're in, so we can get a good idea of the size