New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Where Dark Elves Rule (An all Monk party 2)

You arrive at a home from your past; you still remember every corner of the old monestary. Your follow a farmiliar path to the meeting room. At the door a monk tells you to wait inside and that instructions will be give when all the guests arrive. The small room opens to a balcony over looking the courtyard, below you young monks train with their masters, along the walls are seven chairs well worn and waiting for you.

(The order you post is the order you enter the room, the fist person to enter the room will find it empty)
    Last edited by kentma57; 2008-07-30 at 09:30 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthromancer View Post
    As a druid, I have the right to bear arms, the right to arm bears, and I've killed men with my bear hands.
    Avatar by kpenguin, Teal'c rocks...

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Where Dark Elves Rule (An all Monk party 2)

The great yak folk had to bow his head upon the doorway. The place was just like he remembered; far too small and cramped. Doubly so now that he had spent the years between mostly outdoors. The musty smell made him snort. After trying to fit himself into one of the tiny chairs - and consequently, breaking it - he went to the balcony to catch some fresh air. The same old moves, the same old ways, he thought, as he observed te young monks. Still, he fixed a benevolent, kind expression upon his face. It was quite a good one, he thought. It had the same kind of fuzzy quality cuteness that was usually met in puppies. His fur gleamed, well-kempt and shiny. His horns were well decorated.

He was curious about what this all was about. It had been years since he had last been contacted by the monastery. Well. Soon he would find out.

Spoiler
    Show

This is a fairly accurate picture of him, apart from the sword.

Last edited by Adumbration; 2008-07-29 at 12:43 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3

Thrando enters, his yellow skin standing out in the dark room, although his worn, brown clothes blend in well. He sees the large yak-like creature and laughs, in his home land the monks wouldn't trust anyone outside the githzerai, including their brothers the githyanki. This creature would have been slayed on sight. But that time is over, he has moved on.

He seats himself on the chair, waiting for the others to arrive. It was strange, Thrando hadn't been here in years, yet it all seemed the same, like nothing had changed. Of course there was a few additions, but this just seemed unreal.

4. - Top - End - #4

Lyaeus - half-satyr swordsage

Lyaeus entered the room in his trademark easy stride, and immediately noticed the bulk of the yak-folk looming over the railing looking down into the courtyard. The old geezers called Yuma in too? What the blazes is this all about?, thinking back to his sparring matches with the giant, hairy beast, and one particular one that still makes his side ache on very cold mornings.

He started to join the giant at the railing, when his feet scuffed upon the remnants of the broken chair. Smiling ruefully, he stepped over the wreckage and leaned upon the railing to Yuma's left. They both looked down upon the students, thinking to themselves that there is no way they could have once been that raw.

After a couple minutes of silence, Lyaeus said to Yuma without turning from the students in the courtyard, "So, you tried to sit in the chairs again, didn't you?" There was a hint of smile in his question.

Spoiler
    Show

Lyaeus is a half-satyr, for which I do not have a reference pic - I don't have a scanner to take it out of the book it is in. Picture a handsome, athletic Greek male, about 28 years old, with black wavy/curly hair, and horns that curve tightly back from his forehead along his scalp. He is other wise indistinguishable from a normal human unless he takes off his boots, which will reveal cloven feet - think a smaller than normal foot with only two overlarge toes, such that the whole foot is slightly larger than normal for someone his size. His dress is brightly colored, blue robes with a red sash across his chest. Lightweight boots, a pack and bedroll on his back, a plain quarterstaff in his hand.
    Last edited by Meat Shield; 2008-07-29 at 01:40 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Vampire Ninja Death Squirrel by Jacklu
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Mann View Post
    Frankly, we're a bunch of nerds here, and we like to argue.
    Tosk, Ogre Ranger
    Grishak, Blue Psion Nomad
    Otheym, Warforged Ashworm Dragoon

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

"They still haven't gotten a proper one for me. You'd think they would've learned by now, wouldn't you?" Turning to Lyaeus, a genuine, though faint, smile dawns upon his face. In some sense Yuma could consider Lyaeus - and some other students - his equal, though they were from inferior races. They had gone through this monastery together. It meant something, even to him. And to be good at what he did... Well, one had to become the thing he pretended to be, to be convincing.

"I'll just have to stand. Again." He snorted, in some remembrance of a past event. Standing in the rain.
    Last edited by Adumbration; 2008-07-29 at 01:51 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6

Korvin enters the room, not quite remembering whether he had been to this part of the monastary or not. Hello everyone he says, just barely recognizing his former classmates. He smiles faintly at the odd looks he gets, remembering that most monks have strict rules against wearing armor. Well, that's one of the advantages of following Bahamut, I guess. Unfortunately, despite his advantages, Korvin begins to realize that he'll be severely lacking in some of the areas he fellows might simply take for granted. As he takes his seat, he notes that one of the chairs is broken and decides to give up his seat should the need arise. Bahamut insists on generosity, after all.

Spoiler
    Show

Old avatar by KP (I think)
    Green Lantern of the Rayneverse

7. - Top - End - #7

Johnny "Arimus" peeks into the room to see who has already arrived. Running his fingers though his hair in a futile effort to straighten it, he steps in. It didn't matter how many times he came to the monastery, he always felt a little uneasy when he arrived. The monastery had often made use of his skills, but that didn't always mean his fellow monks accepted his softer approach to discipline.

Johnny makes his way across the room, giving his fellow monks a smile and a nod, kicks some remains of a chair out of his way, and takes a seat. After glancing around a bit, he turns to Thrando and comments, "Been a while, hasn't it?"

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Korya Kin enters the room, looking about to see that she's managed to be the last to the meeting chamber. She gives a polite smile to the others, and then takes her seat.

"Brings back memories doesn't it? I can barely believe how much some of you have changed; and yet its not hard to pick you out just the same." Briefly she studies her former classmates, spawning memories of times long past.
    Last edited by mistformsquirrl; 2008-07-29 at 04:58 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

Fu Ling

As the others enter the room and start talking, Fu Ling appears in a puff of smoke, sitting cross legged on the floor. He's wearing tattered robes, his skin is pale, and his head is completely bald.

He avoids eye contact with the others, but speaks quietly.

I am unsure as to the meaning of our summons, but I doubt it will be a trivial matter.

He thinks to himself

For me to reveal myself, and to work with others... the masters must be concerned. Deeply concerned. I trust that they know what is best though, regardless of the cost.
    Last edited by Rei_Jin; 2008-07-30 at 01:22 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Starsinger View Post
    You sir, are my hero.

10. - Top - End - #10

Bloody show-off he thinks to himself as Fu Ling appears in the middle of the room. 'Course, I almost did the same thing, but didn't have an audience. My time will come as he smiles one more time.

Lyaeus pats Yuma on the arm in final greeting, and turns around to look at all his old classmates, still leaning on the railing. His entire posture is just about the opposite of what was drilled into him as a student by the masters. Certainly this one has fallen far from the path of self-discipline. He greets each of the others in turn, his smile warm. Once introductions are complete, he whistles a drinking tune while examining his fingernails. The volume of the whistling is ostensibly quiet, but (probably unconsciously) just loud enough to annoy anyone within earshot that would find such an activity grating.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tosk, Ogre Ranger

11. - Top - End - #11

As the last of you steps through the door like a shadow a man slips into the room, it is Grand Master Hawat. As quiet as a ghost he moves like a blur, once he has sliped into an empty chair he speaks for the first time "Welcome my students I am sure you want to know why you have been summoned. Long ago there was a great adventurer named Eridian Vulcanis, but many years ago he was hurt beond repair. Now he works away in his library researching lost things and with the help of brave adventurers recovers them. Now he has asked for our help, any questions?"
    As a druid, I have the right to bear arms, the right to arm bears, and I've killed men with my bear hands.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

"Master, what does this have to do with our monastery? Surely there are hundreds of adventuring groups out there that could aid him? It isn't that I am not curious, but it seems strange to bring this particular group back together for a... well a collector."

Korya Kin runs her fingers through her short black hair, trying to relax the uneasy tension that has built since she first set foot back into the monastery.

"I guess it just strikes me in a peculiar way, Master. Assuming he needs the combined talents of the six of us, its clear he needs something dangerous done, and that just leaves me suspicious. Does this 'Vulcanis' check out? I'm assuming so since you called us...

*sigh* Sorry. I get carried away sometimes."

13. - Top - End - #13

Korvin smiles to himself at the references to six students. Well, he was simply visiting the monastary on his way out of the mountains. Maybe the invitation was more of an afterthought.

The man has asked for the monastary's help. Is there anything else we can do, that will not sully our honor? My only question is what he would like us to recover and where it is.
    Last edited by KaganMonk; 2008-07-30 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Insert Color

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

"Perhaps we could use some additional information, o' Grand Master," Yuma says smoothly, turning to face the inside, but not yet entering from the balcony. He inhales deeply, connecting the faces and personalities to the scents. It was a newly acquired skill, and it payed to practise it.

"What is it, exactly, that we are wished to retrieve? And if I may be so bold, why are we" with a wave of his arm, encompassing the present company, "a group of individuals of our magnitude required for this? You imply that adventurers have dealt with his requests before - why have they not handled it now? Has there been an..." making a vague hand motion "an accident?"

15. - Top - End - #15

"What does this have to do with us? We can't risk our lives to help some failed adventurer, it is irresponsible."

He ponders over it for a moment and gets a puzzled look. He paces for a few seconds then sighs.

"Master, I will not go against your word. I guess that if you want us to assist, our bond to the monastery means that we must. I will follow your commands to the letter.

16. - Top - End - #16

Fu Ling

Fu Ling does not look at the master, he simply places a closed fist inside an open palm, bows his head slightly and nods

As you wish, master. What is it you require of us?
    You sir, are my hero.

17. - Top - End - #17

(Grand Master)"I have known Vulcanis for many years and he has requested my help before. Though I do not know what he seeks this time let me assure you it will be but the first of many tasks. He prefers to hire a team for a length of time to complete many tasks. You will be paid well so long as you value your agreement."

18. - Top - End - #18

Fu Ling

His head still bowed, Fu Ling nods again.

Where are we to go, to meet Vulcanis? I am ready to leave immediately.
    You sir, are my hero.

19. - Top - End - #19

Johnny "Arimus"

Johnny nods. "I suppose Vulcanis is the one to talk to," he comments. "I suppose we should go have a word with him... with your permission to take our leave, of course, Headmaster."

With the headmasters permission, Johnny heads to the library to find Vulcanis.

20. - Top - End - #20

Thrando

"I never carry much with me, so I am ready to go now. Where are we to meet him?"

Thrando looks around the room, waiting to see the responses from others. Back with the githzerai the master is the most important. I hope these people can stop themselves from breaking one of my races most sacred rules.

21. - Top - End - #21

(Grand Master) "Of course you may leave at any time, my son will be your guide for the length of the journy."
    Last edited by kentma57; 2008-07-30 at 08:56 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Korya Kin

Korya Kin gives Korvin an embarrassed look before turning back to her Master.

"Then lets be off. If you trust this man, Vulcanis, then we seven will complete his tasks. Until then Master."

::Bows to the Master::

::Korya Kin leaves the room, waiting just outside to catch Korvin when he leaves::

23. - Top - End - #23

Looking at Fu Ling, Lyaeus thinks to himself My god, is he STILL that much of a suck-up? Ling's a nice guy and all, but this slavish devotion is getting a little out of hand...ah well, back to the matter at hand.

"Master, the money, while nice to have, is not why I came back. I figure I owed you for those first few years when you took me in and tried to train me. I'll go and see what this Vulcanis has to say, as I'm sure the rest of us will."

Of course, I will take as much money as this old 'adventurer' will give me. Lord Bellingham will be sailing to Waterdeep on the next high tide for that diplomatic mission, and the gold will let me get a nice shiny bauble for poor old lonely Lady Bellingham. Those next to Lyaeus will notice a very large smile appearing on his rakish features.
    Last edited by Meat Shield; 2008-07-30 at 08:12 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tosk, Ogre Ranger

24. - Top - End - #24

Fu Ling

Fu Ling nods again, stands, and bows to the master, before disappearing from view again.

((OOC Note: Walk Unseen, then Flee the Scene to move outside. He makes his way to the entrance of the Monastery to wait for his companions using Fell Flight))
    You sir, are my hero.

25. - Top - End - #25

OK, that's enough of him showing off!

Lyaeus also disappears in a flash of shadow. He reappears standing high above the courtyard, stading effortlessly in mid-air, his hands casually held behind his back. He bows to the observers on the balcony, including Master Hawat, and to those below gawking up at him, then calmly turns and walks towards the front gate. "I'll see everyone at the front gate!"

When the others arrive, they find Lyaeus leaning against the entryway, enjoying the warm sun upon his face. "We ready?"

Spoiler
    Show

Teleport was Shadow Blink
    Balance on the Sky stance (Air Walk)
    Last edited by Meat Shield; 2008-07-30 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Apparently I can't see invisible - go figure.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tosk, Ogre Ranger

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Yuma snorts slightly. Show offs! Still, he smiles and waves to Lyaeus, bowing to enter the too-small room again, and even more at the doorway. This should prove interesting. He follows the others to the gate.

27. - Top - End - #27

"I have no tricks to leave. I will hold up your word master."

Thrando simply walks out of the monastery. These men sure like showing off. I hope I can deal with it.

28. - Top - End - #28

I have tricks, but why waste the surprise now when I can show their full usage outside these walls.

Korvin headed out of the room, where he saw Korya waiting for him.

I see you caught the error in counting as well. He says as they walk towards the entrance. Sadly, my memory has mostly faded while I was being retrained, and I do not recognize you. My name is Korvin, a monk dedicated to the way of Bahamut.

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

"Aye I did. Slip of the mind I'm afraid; I hope I did not cause offense?"

Korya Kin gives a slight bow to Korvin.

"At any rate, it has been a long while, and my hair was long then, so I am not so surprised you're having difficulty placing me. Korya Kin remains my name though, just as always."

She gives him a smile, realizing she may not be the only one having difficulty settling back in to the old routines.

"We should catch up with the rest of them and hopefully get re-acquainted. It's been far too long and my memory is every bit as fuzzy as your own on the matter - a thing I've every intention to remedy. After all, can't walk into the jaws of death again without first knowing who our friends are."
    Computer is back! Yay!

Feel free to check out my Deviantart page - it's not great, but I'm trying to change that.

Current avatar by me <>_<> Needs work.

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

- By FlyingChicken <^,^> - By Akrim.elf <^.^>

30. - Top - End - #30

Fu Ling

Fu Ling Materialises, sitting cross legged on the ground, his back to the wall. As you look into his eyes, you see that they are devoid of white, being completely black, through and through. He coughs slightly to get Lyaeus' attention.

You do realise that there is no competition here, no need to feel jealousy or conflict? We are allies, and we are to work together for the good of the monastery, however the Master wishes.

What I do, how I move, is what I am. This is all I know. I travel the hidden paths and walk the way of the broken one. It is not out of spite, malice, or competition that I do this. It is all that I am, and all that I can be.
    You sir, are my hero.