New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Of Light, Life and Liches

Radley

"GRRRRROOOOOOOOOBAAAAAAN!" Radley hollers as he steps back. "Groban, about-face!" They'll need the Bulette if they are to handle so many foes at once.

He then grits his teeth and runs away 30'. ((Move action. I realise this may provoke an AoO. Go for it.)) He tries to go on an angle so he is not grouped up with his allies and get behind some debris from the wall or dyke for cover (+4 AC).

He then conjures up a new spell. With a practised wave of his arm and a few words, orange light begins to gather around the dragon....

Those allies still up close feel waves of heat radiating out from the bones...

... and a Wall of Fire engulfs it.

The wall is placed as a barrier, its edge running through the closest part of the skeleton (so that the skeleton is mostly on the other side of it, but its head at least is in the wall). The side facing the dragon is the deadly hot side, while the side facing out allies is the non-damage-dealing side.

(2d6+9)[14] fire damage.

Fire damage if it tries to pass through the wall next turn: (2d6+9)[18]
    Last edited by Another_Poet; 2009-03-19 at 10:26 AM.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

2. - Top - End - #452
    Ogre in the Playground

OOC: I'm not going to actively contest the DM's decision, but I would like to say that, personally, I see no reason why the spell couldn't have effected the dragon, as there is nothing in the spell's description that says the spell does not work on objects. But that's up to the DM. The dude abides.
    Amazing Mountain King avatar courtesy of the remarkable Starwoof!

3. - Top - End - #453
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: It says in the description of the spell that it affects a creature, so I guess I was wrong. It's still a problematic spell (like many spells from this edition, unfortunately). After all, it's not a Flesh to Stone effect, simply a Petrification effect.

4. - Top - End - #454
    Titan in the Playground

Harin

Swerving away from the Wall of Flame Harin surveyed the situation. Most of the undead were blocked from the innocents by means of a Wall of Force, but one, this St. Siristi was inside it, as was the now flamng dragon-skeleton. (OOC: Is this right? I'll edit this post and my next action if it isn't.)

Deciding on his next course of action Harin launched himself down towards the humanoid foe. As he did so his hands burned streaks of purified energy into the sky, and as he reached the fallen Saint he flooded it with golden energy.

"Now!" he called to his allies, "he has lost his unholy protections. Finish him quickly!"

(Cast Spark of Life [Spell Comp p.196]. DC 21 Will Save or he loses all his undead immunities.)
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

5. - Top - End - #455
    Ettin in the Playground

((If it matters to anyone, you can go right up to the flame wall, even in squares adjacent to it, and take no damage. So you can still melee attack the dragon if you want (just don't try to pass THROUGH the wall.) Following Harin's advice is probably much smarter, but if it matters, there you go.))
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

6. - Top - End - #456
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Abaslom

"Ha! The dark gods won't interfere with my spells now!"

Absalom moved another five feet away from the dragon and conjured a blue sphere crackling with electricity.

"I will free your soul...Siristi."

He then launched the orb at the humanoid undead.

Spoiler
    Show
    Orb of Electricty
    Ranged touch: (1d20+9)[22]
    Damage roll: (10d6+6)[45]
    Fortitude DC 19 or entangled

If the Saint was outside and Harin didn't cast Spark of Life, then the spell will be cast on our dragon friend. Of course, he the dragon is immune to the entangle effect.
    Last edited by Kaiser Omnik; 2009-03-19 at 08:58 PM.

7. - Top - End - #457
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    To be clear: the Wall of Force was cast between Matthias Raker and the reanimated St. Siristi on the wall, not between the party and the dragon. The dragon is the real threat, given how many attacks per round it gets. Kill it first.

Also, are we in a new round? Why are people posting new actions when Bornin hasn't posted any kind of results for actions taken last round?

8. - Top - End - #458
    Ettin in the Playground

((Yep, the wall of force blocks Siristi. The wall of fire blocks the dragon. Well it doesn't BLOCK it but it will do more damage if it tries to come through. PCs can till strike through with immunity, just don't try to walk through.

I've only posted 1 move and 1 standard action since the dragon took its actions. I await the next round with baited breath.))

9. - Top - End - #459
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

(OOC: Bornin did post the results of some actions: see the bottom of the last page. I'm just posting my actions in case I go before the dragon in the initiative order.)

10. - Top - End - #460
    Ogre in the Playground

OOC: He hasn't told us what the effect of Radley's Wall of Fire was; that's what I was waiting to see before I posted my next action.

11. - Top - End - #461
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Ok so Im sorry that I did not make this clear. You are on the wall itself, no real chance of running away and still having line-of-sight. The dragon is in front of you. There are stairs behind you. The safe zone with St Siristi in it is behind you. The wall of force is stopping St Siristi from coming towards you from the safe zone. It is also what is stopping your only exit.

Undead Type template Monster Manual pg 317
    - Immunity to any effect that requires a fortitude save (unless the effect also works on objects or is harmless).

If this helps, which I hope it will in order from northish to southish:

Dragon
    Wall of fire
    You
    Wall of force
    St siristi
    Stairs leading down to safe zone
    Group of praying people
    The Safe zone
    Bulette

Flest to Stone spell and Prismatic Ray do not say if it works on objects but for our purposes they do not. Most spells that work on objects are very specific to that end. Sorry.

So I will need a new action from Harin unless you want to withhold or find a way around the wall or even talk to the Saint on the other side who is not doing anything to harm you…

Spoiler
    Show

Recap of this round so far: (in parentheses is your initiative order)
    Skeleton (18) - hole mess of attacks
    Harin (2)- hit the skeleton with smite
    Matthias (23)- hit the skeleton with xbow
    Absalom (12)- prismatic ray
    Radley (11)- wall of fire and ducked behind some stuff…
    Orrum (5)- wall of force
    Now that has been cleared up - sort of.

Dragons Attack of opportunity on Radley
    To hit - (1d20+12)[28] damage - (2d6+5)[14]

Round two actions can begin now.
    Skeletons actions
    Spoiler
    Show

Its attacks against the party
    Bite vs. Harin - (1d20+17)[29] damage if it hits (2d8+10)[20]
    Claw vs. Radley - (1d20+12)[24] damage if it hits (2d6+5)[16]
    Claw vs. Orrum - (1d20+12)[17] damage if it hits [roll]2d+5[/roll]
    Wing vs. Matthias (1d20+12)[21] damage if it hits (1d8+5)[13]
    Wing vs. Absalom (1d20+12)[20] damage if it hits (1d8+5)[7]
    Last edited by borninbones; 2009-03-22 at 12:42 AM.
    Characters: Pakar

12. - Top - End - #462
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Abaslom

After evading the dragon's wing, Absalom moved another five feet away and surveyed the area. Once Harin had casted his spell, he shouted:

"Ha! The dark gods won't interfere with my spells now!"

The warmage conjured a blue sphere crackling with electricity.

"I will free your soul...Siristi. I simply have to dispose of this monstrosity first."

He then launched the orb at the spellstitched skeleton.

Spoiler
    Show
    How big is the dragon again?
    We can still move on the wall, right?

So, here is my second try. If you don't mind, I'd like to keep my last rolls, in post 456.

A shame Spark of Life wasn't active on the dragon when I casted Prismatic Ray
    Last edited by Kaiser Omnik; 2009-03-22 at 03:14 PM.

13. - Top - End - #463
    Ogre in the Playground

Orrum

Orrum permits himself a brief moment of satisfaction; the undead Saint would not be bothering them any time soon, it seemed. The dragon's claw hissed through the air, scraping off his shield as he prepared another spell; any other mage would surely have been disemboweled by the blow. His wrist rustles as he rolls it slowly, bringing his right hand to his shield in order to activate another rune. A rumbling sound echoed in his mind as he spoke the Dwarven words of power to complete the spell, and he quickly approached Radley, who seemed to be somewhat less defended than himself.

-----------

Move to Radley's position, cast Stoneskin on the sorcerer.

14. - Top - End - #464
    Titan in the Playground

Harin Storn

Swerving away from the Wall of Flame Harin surveyed the situation.

Deciding on his next course of action Harin launched himself down towards the draconic foe. As he did so his hands burned streaks of purified energy into the sky, and as he reached the skeletal monster he flooded it with golden energy.

"Now!" he called to his allies, "he has lost his unholy protections. Finish him quickly!"

(Cast Spark of Life [Spell Comp p.196]. DC 21 Will Save or he loses all his undead immunities. Same deal, different target.)
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew

15. - Top - End - #465
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I'd like to attempt Spellcraft checks to identify Harin's spell, followed by determining whether or not the spell successfully takes effect.

Identify: (1d20+20)[33]
    Save result: (1d20+20)[25]

16. - Top - End - #466
    Ettin in the Playground

((Whoa, whoa I have some questions....))

Spoiler
    Show

Dragon
    Wall of fire
    You
    Wall of force
    St siristi
    Stairs leading down to safe zone
    Group of praying people
    The Safe zone
    Bulette
    1. Why is the bulette on the civilians' side of the wall? He should've gone off on the dragon's side of the wall, because his digging was supposed to drain the water to that side, not the civilians' side. You even stated that the dragon skeleton came out of the area the bulette drained.

Ok so Im sorry that I did not make this clear. You are on the wall itself, no real chance of running away and still having line-of-sight.
    2. Yes/No
    Can we run along the wall, lateral to the dragon?

If yes, then my move action means I was out of the dragon's threatened area, so he could not attack me during his full attack. His claw attack should go to someone else.

If no, I had nowhere to run to so I wouldn't have run, so the dragon gets no AoO.

Either way I only get hit once. That was the whole point of me moving. Just tell me which one is right.

17. - Top - End - #467
    Orc in the Playground

I suppose I owe you 2 apologies for my poor dming lately, sorry.

Hmm... This is all correct, however I for some reason put the dwarf/bulette into the town because it is what I would have done, not what the dwarf would have done.

I made a mistake playing the npc. So I will alter that course of action.

The bulette springs up out of the ground behind the dragon, right about... Now. Yes you can move along the wall laterally. The dragon is Huge. Despite this fact, he does not have a great reach so I guess I would not have been able to hit Radley, so the attack instead goes to Orrum, sorry. The AoO stands though. If Orrum wants to change his action since the caster is now out of range, I understand.

At Absolom, your spell hits and does a great deal of damage. I am assuming that a 31 will save will protect the poor innocent undead thing from your spell?

Due to the position of the bulette, you all get flanking bonus on all melee attacks.

Bulettes attack on the dragon
    (1d20+16)[30] damage (2d8+8)[19]
    (1d20+10)[18] damage (2d6+4)[12]
    (1d20+10)[29] damage (2d6+4)[14]

@mountain king - both rolls succeed, you know the spell and that it did not work
    Last edited by borninbones; 2009-03-23 at 11:58 PM.

18. - Top - End - #468
    Ogre in the Playground

OOC: Uhhh, that's not cool at all... thanks RADLEY. I'd like permission to change my action, if I may do so, to not going anywhere, and casting Stoneskin on myself, instead of on Radley, since, I'm apparently now tanking for him. I'll be casting it defensively, of course; taking 10, as I am able to do, my Concentration check is 34 should the dragon attempt an AoO, though I believe he has spent his AoO for the round.

19. - Top - End - #469
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry Orrum/MK. But yeah, at least I drew that AoO for you huh?

It's not poor DMing bornin. Everybody loses track of stuff. I actually do believe in rule 0 so if you had some convoluted reason why Groban should be with the civvies, I'd swallow it.

Anyway I do have one more question - sorry - but since the dragon's head is in the wall of fire, does it count as partial concealment (20% miss chance)? The spell description says it is a "blazing curtain of shimmering violet fire" but it doesn't say whether it's opaque or translucent, nor how thick the wall is. If it's 5' thick the dragon presumably can't see. If it's paper thin then presumably he can see. Dunno.

Radley

Radley, taking refuge farther down the wall (second move action away from the dragon), mumbles a few necromantic words and clutches his sceptre to himself, then straightens his back as if suddenly propped up by some unseen force.

((Casting False Life.))

temporary hit points gained - (1d10)[1] * 150% + 9 =
    11 total temporary hit points gained

Fire damage to dragon if it doesn't move back this round: (2d6+9)[15]
    Last edited by Another_Poet; 2009-03-24 at 09:40 AM.

20. - Top - End - #470
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    again sorry about the quiet from yours truly. Not the site this time but real life, had my kid from his moms and was pulling a considerable amount of over time at work after he left

@Mountain king - ok action changed.

@Radley
    Spoiler
    Show
    no miss chance. not dealing with that. if I could change the rule and not have miss chances at all then they would not exist but not without revamping a plethora of spells and combat skils and such that i dont feel like dealing with at this time. Go with the rule if you can hit me i can hit you kind of thing

Need an action from Jade for round two post with action for round three.

On to round three unless Jade pulls something from way out there.

Dragon is still up and going strong. Spot checks.
    Bring the noise - dragon attacks
    Spoiler
    Show

Bite vs. Absalom - (1d20+17)[36] damage if it hits (2d8+10)[21]
    Claw vs. Harin - (1d20+12)[27] damage if it hits (2d6+5)[11]
    Claw vs. Matthias - (1d20+12)[18] damage if it hits [roll]2d+5[/roll]
    Wing vs. Harin (1d20+12)[28] damage if it hits (1d8+5)[9]
    Wing vs. Orrum (1d20+12)[14] damage if it hits (1d8+5)[8]

21. - Top - End - #471
    Ettin in the Playground

OOC: Sorry for the delay - the forums went down, and then it ate my response last night.

Matthias

Seeing the undead on the ground delayed, Matthias turns his attention back to the dragon. He catches his axe as it returns, and then throws it again and fires the last crossbow bolts in his clip while muttering something in Sylvan about ashes and dust...

Spoiler
    Show
    Axe Attack: (1d20+18)[34] (Range Inc. 20ft)
    Crossbow Attack: (1d20+18)[28]
    Crossbow Attack: (1d20+13)[14]

This time, I've included the Favored Enemy bonus in the damage...

Axe Damage: (1d8)[8] + (1d6)[4] + 5 (Slashing)(Magical+1)(Shocking)
    Crossbow Damage: (1d10+5)[13] (Piercing)(Magical+1)(Ghost Touch)
    Crossbow Damage: (1d10+5)[12] (Piercing)(Magical+1)(Ghost Touch)
    Last edited by Jade_Tarem; 2009-03-28 at 09:14 PM.
    Amazing Zealot avatar by Elder Tsofu.

22. - Top - End - #472
    Ettin in the Playground

Radley

Feeling safer in his new position, Radley lets fly with two rays of heat at the skeletal dragon. (Scorching Ray)

ranged touch - (1d20+9)[10]
    fire damage - (4d6)[13] * 150% = 19

ranged touch - (1d20+9)[19]
    fire damage - (4d6)[17] * 150% = 25

Fire damage to dragon if it doesn't move back this round:
    (2d6+9)[16]
    Last edited by Another_Poet; 2009-03-30 at 01:48 PM.

23. - Top - End - #473
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Absalom

The viscious bite attack of the dragon may have harmed him, but Absalom was far from beaten. After all, he wasn't as weak as your typical wizard. And for once he felt like he was at his place; fighting evil and protecting his people. He ran once. He wouldn't run again.

"You have barely scratched me, you overgrown skeleton! Now, prepare to face the storm!"

Absalom starting casting a spell, watching every moves of the dragon. Once he felt the arcane energy filling his body, he uttered one last word of power and unleashed an inferno.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot (1d20-1)[11]
    Cast defensively DC 20 (1d20+15)[34]

I guess that the dragon his within 10 feet since he used his bite attack last turn. Since I have moved on the wall since the beginning of the fight, I will suppose that none of my allies are in that same range. If I am right, then I cast Greater Fireburst as intended, with my Sudden Empower feat applied to it:
    (10d8+6)[51] x1,50 = 76 fire damage, Reflex half DC 21

If there is one of my allies inside that range, then cast Sudden Empowered Blast of Flame instead (60 ft. cone), since I should be able to aim the cone right in front of me and only hit the dragon:
    (10d6+6)[43] x1,50 = 64 fire damage, Reflex half DC 20

Let's see how he likes that!
    Last edited by Kaiser Omnik; 2009-03-30 at 02:04 PM.

24. - Top - End - #474
    Titan in the Playground

Harin

Knowing his spell had failed, Harin removed himself from the Dragon's side and considered his allies.

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: Who is the most injured, and how many d8's will you need? I got healing spells up the Yazoo. I'll post the die rolls in another post once I know.

Flying to the side of <insert name here> Harin called on the oft-overlooked benevolence of Kord and wiped away their injuries.

25. - Top - End - #475
    Orc in the Playground

The scorching ray and cone of fire and the wall of fire are aparently too much for the dragon. It explodes into bits and pieces. You finally understand what the spikes were for.

Damage reflex for half (radley is wisely out of range) (10d6)[26]

All of you come to the quick realization that you were supposed to destroy the dragon for this result. Radley watches in calculated horror as the blast goes off even the undead Siristi shield himself from the blast despite being the only one who is safe.

(what happens next is dependant on who is still standing)

26. - Top - End - #476
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Reflex (1d20+10)[15]

I don't think I make the save, but even if I don't, I'm still standing...with 7 hp. Yay!
    Last edited by Kaiser Omnik; 2009-03-31 at 09:21 AM.

27. - Top - End - #477
    Ettin in the Playground

Reflex Save:
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+14)[24] (Evasion - no damage on success)

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'll post again when I find out the result - the DC of this blast was unlisted. Hmm....
    Amazing Zealot avatar by Elder Tsofu.

28. - Top - End - #478
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Reflex: (1d20+4)[9] Fah, who needs Reflex saves when they have damage reduction? Strange, the wizard seems to be coming out of this far better than the warmage... who's weaker now, Absalom? I kid, I kid...
    Last edited by MountainKing; 2009-04-01 at 12:41 PM.

29. - Top - End - #479
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MountainKing View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Reflex: [roll0] Fah, who needs Reflex saves when they have damage reduction? Strange, the wizard seems to be coming out of this far better than the warmage... who's weaker now, Absalom? I kid, I kid...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Absalom is not hiding like a level 1 commoner. I just miss having protective spells as a warmage...

30. - Top - End - #480
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Ha, while hiding like a commoner I've managed to do more damage than any other mage...

And I'm a freakin' charm specialist!

:P