New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303146 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Of Light, Life and Liches

Matthias

The ranger shakes out his crossbow again and reloads - while his axe is in flight, spinning through the air and aiming at the wight's... feet. Forge remains with him to intercept any further attempts on his master.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Forge is going to stand near Matthias and ready an action to nail the next undead that comes for him (Matthias). I don't know if that's a standard action bite or a partial charge... whatever's legal.

For his part, Matthias is chucking his axe in a ranged trip attempt and reloading while he waits for it to come back.

Trip shot: (The sucker does damage and trips! I didn't realize that until I checked the rules just now).

Attack: +10 BAB, +1 Weapon Focus, +3 Strength, +1 Magic = +15 Total
    Trip: +4 Dex, +4 MT Trip Bonus vs. his strength or dexterity bonus
    Damage: 1d8 + 1d6 + 9 (no longer 1.5x STR to damage)

Trip Shot Attack: (1d20+15)[30]
    Trip Shot Trip:(1d20+8)[9]
    Axe Damage: (1d8)[5] + (1d6)[3] + 9
    Amazing Zealot avatar by Elder Tsofu.

2. - Top - End - #602
    Bugbear in the Playground

Flumph

Mathias lodges his thrown axe... into the wights theigh, which doesn't have the intended unbalancing effect. The Wight turns on Harin, hitting him with a solid blow accross the face and trying to follow up with another blow, that gets foiled by the shield floating in the way. [spoiler] 26 Damage 6 being cold damage, with a -1 temporary level (fort save DC 18 to negate after combat ends)

Radley then lights it up with a pair of fiery blasts, that the nerveless thing ignores though the blistering heat obviosly caused significant damage.

Harin
    Spoiler
    Show
    still waiting for action

After some manuvering Orrum gets the wight somewhat pinned down between himself and Harin and manages to hit with the sphere again, though the winds tear at it's flesh, it remains firmly rooted to the ground.

Next round
    Spoiler
    Show
    For reference I'm just going with everything as posted for now to keep things moving in the current turn (so I'm counting Mathias's last action as happening the last round.. I'll see about working Harin's in retroactively, but there's only so much waiting I'll do, this is not to penalize you for not checking enough, it's just to keep the game going momentum wise, sorry for any confusion)
    Battle Aura by Tavin Mars
    Spoiler
    Show
    I Will Not Stand By
    I Will Not Give Up
    I Will Let My Presence Be Felt
    To The Utmost of My Ability
    Regardless Of The Battle
    I Shall Fight

3. - Top - End - #603
    Titan in the Playground

(Sorry. Busy, hate filled days recently IRL. Clearly the blow was so mighty that I was uable to act.....yeah, that's it.)

Fort: (1d20+10)[24] (Are the Wight's attacks considered Magical for DR?)
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2009-06-03 at 12:50 AM.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

4. - Top - End - #604
    Titan in the Playground

Harin

Attempting to roll with the blow, Harin once again spins his holy blade into the Wight's undead flesh.

--------------------------
    Attack: (1d20+13)[26]
    Confirm if needed: (1d20+13)[15]
    Damage: (2d6+6)[10]+(2d6)[4](Holy)

Attack 2: (1d20+8)[11]
    Confirm if needed: (1d20+8)[18]
    Damage: (2d6+6)[13]+(2d6)[5]
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2009-06-03 at 12:56 AM.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew

5. - Top - End - #605
    Ettin in the Playground

Radley

Casting Disrupt Undead

ranged touch - (1d20+4)[5] (includes -4 for shooting into melee)
    damage - (1d6)[3] * 150% = 4 damage

Spoiler
    Show

And now I see that I've already used all my 0 level spells for the day, so I can't cast Disrupt Undead. But rather than trying to wriggle off the hook of a natural 1, we'll say Radley overestimated his remaining magical power. He fails to cast any spell this turn, accomplishing nothing.
    Last edited by Another_Poet; 2009-06-03 at 09:19 AM.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

6. - Top - End - #606
    Ettin in the Playground

Matthias

The axe wiggles in the wight's thigh for a moment before tearing itself free and zipping back to Matthias's hand. The ranger snarls at his miss and tries again, preceding his effort with a pair of crossbow bolts.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Take two! Action!

(Point Blank Shot for that Extra +1, unless I'm not actually within 30 feet, but it sounded from your description like things were kinda cramped. If I'm further away than 35 feet, just deduct 1 from the attack rolls.)

Crossbow Attack 1: (1d20+16)[33]
    Crossbow Attack 2: (1d20+16)[25]
    Axe Attack: (1d20+11)[17]
    Trip Roll: (1d20+8)[13]
    Crossbow Damage 1: (1d10+7)[15]
    Crossbow Damage 2: (1d10+7)[16]
    Axe Damage: (1d8+9)[17] + (1d6)[4] Elec.

Forge will keep on guarding Matthias.

7. - Top - End - #607

Flumph

Mathias gets a solid bead on the wight, even through the cramped and crowded environment as Orrum and Harin keep him boxed between the two of them. Several more bolts sink into the wight, the axe however misses and goes clattering past into the far wall before being called back to Mathias's hand.

The wight continues battling Harin with mixed results
    Spoiler
    Show
    another 20 damage 3 of it being cold. And another temporary negative level.. same DC as before) (and yes the wight counts as magical (not adamantine) for purposes of damage reduction.

Harin's repeated blows are similarly mixed in results as the two fully engage and seem deadlocked.

Radley is a little out of it and tries to draw upon power his body simply can't supply him with...

Orrum holds his ground with shield held high pressing the wight to provide a bit of aid to Harin as he mentally directs the spinning sphere of air into the wight, spinning more chunks of flesh from the wight and driving it to the ground again.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Wight is now prone

The wight looks battered as it tries to rise, and should go down with a few more solid hits.

next round
    Last edited by DMfromTheAbyss; 2009-06-03 at 09:37 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I Will Not Stand By
    I Will Not Give Up
    Regardless Of The Battle
    I Shall Fight

8. - Top - End - #608
    Ettin in the Playground

Matthias

Seeing the wight go down behind his friends - or allies, anyway - Matthias hesitates before firing. If the wight stands again, he'll fire, but he keeps one eye on the vault... there were more than two opponents, after all.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Readying action to shoot the wight if it stands up, or the first thing to emerge from the vault after that.

9. - Top - End - #609
    Titan in the Playground

(Fort: (1d20+10)[18])

Unlike Raker, Harin does not hesitate. In his injured state he can't afford to take the chance, so he rains down blows onto the Wight with all the force his blade can handle.

----------------------------------
    Attack 1: (1d20+13)[26]
    Damage: (2d6+6)[16]+[/roll]2d6[/roll]

Attack 2: (1d20+8)[15]
    Damage: (2d6+6)[11]+(2d6)[6]

10. - Top - End - #610
    Titan in the Playground

Sorry. Holy damage for the first attack.
    +(2d6)[7]
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2009-06-04 at 01:36 PM.

11. - Top - End - #611
    Ettin in the Playground

Radley

Radley takes a moment to prepare himself.

((Delaying action to go last - in other words I don't want to waste a spell if someone else's axe is about to finish the thing.))

He then casts Magic Missile through his rod.

damage - (5d4+5)[20] * 150% = 30 damage
    Last edited by Another_Poet; 2009-06-04 at 11:00 AM.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

12. - Top - End - #612

Flumph

The Undead again rises with supernatural quickness. Even as a bolt lodges itself in it's head it lunges, this time at Orrum (apparently it's smart enough to realize that Orrum causing the spell effect that's knocking it around.)

Getting a solid supernaturally strong punch into His shield, leaving a moderate sized dent in the process, Orrum feels the wights cold touch again trying to drain him of life.
    Spoiler
    Show
    really just a solid hit, but last of the fight so extra fluff. Hits for 18 damage total, +1 negative level, same save as before (so 8 damage after stoneskin if it's still up.

Harin runs the creature through again, and it seems the wight could only take so much punishment before physically falling apart. It's last act is to give a strange gurgling noise as it's torso disconnects from it's waist. As it falls however a burst of pure darkness and cold burts forth hitting Harin and Orrum.
    Spoiler
    Show
    18 negative energy damage Ref DC 15 for 1/2 (9 Damage)

Encounter ended
    Spoiler
    Show
    How are you guys dealing with xp again, is it by encounter, am I just keeping track or some other way? (for reference this encounter was 1800Xp)
    Last edited by DMfromTheAbyss; 2009-06-05 at 02:18 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I Will Not Stand By
    I Will Not Give Up
    Regardless Of The Battle
    I Shall Fight

13. - Top - End - #613
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Reflex: (1d20+8)[12]
    Bornin must have been keeping track, because we levelled up after the Dragon skeleton. If we were supposed to be keeping our own xp then forgive me because I have not been.

Harin

Satisfied with his final blow, Harin wrenches his blade from the mutilated corpse, wiping the decomposed entrails onto any nearby surface. With a look of disgust he sheaths his blade to deal with it later.

As he moves around he can feel the multiple drains upon his life force fading, returning to him his true strength. He turns to face his battle worn companions. "I can heal your wounds easily enough, but any who were dealt a blow by the creature will know the same draining sensation that I did. My strength returns and the negative energy diminishes, is it so for you, or do you require the will of Kord to protect you.
    Spoiler
    Show
    DMftA said the negative levels disappea after battle if we made our saves. I made al of mine, did anyone fail one? I only have one lesser restoration prepared is all.

While he waits for an answer Harin crossed his arms across his chest and invoked the healing power of Kord.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cast Cure Serious Wounds: (3d8+12)[22]

14. - Top - End - #614
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

I like the idea of gaining XP after every encounter. What is the XP for 11th level characters? I'll use that as my base and add 1800 to it, if someone can tell me what it is - I don't have my books handy.

Radley sighs wearily. "What a mess," he moans. "I knew this would be a problem. Now everybody out while I clean the place up."

15. - Top - End - #615
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Aren't we 12 lvl now? That's XP = 66,000.
    To answer your question 11th = 55,000XP.
    Speaking of 12th level, can someone explain how LA buyoff works. I believe I'm eligible for a minus one on my Half-Celestial now.

16. - Top - End - #616
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Well I've got Sor6/Fighter1/EldritchKnight4 = ECL 11. I don't think anyone should be L12 yet.

Also, apparently I have 63,500 XP. I don't know when that was awarded, as thatputs us nearly at 12th. Anyone have any idea where I got that number? (Does not include the new 1,800 XP that Abyssal just gave us.)

As far as LA buyoff, as I recall it is supposed to be done spread over a number of levels and starting as early as you can. The first "payment" of XP is due at 3rd level, for example (which would've come out of your starting XP in our case). By the rules if you don't pay it at the level specified you can never buy it off - it's a one time opportunity. The GM might bend those rules though for all I know.

17. - Top - End - #617
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    First, my Reflex save to halve the damage from the burst:
    (1d20+4)[6]

Now that combat is over, I will roll my Fort saves, as per the DM's instructions each time I got smacked:
    (1d20+12)[29]
    (1d20+12)[25]

If any of the last three saves are against effects that are considered magical, please add +2 to my results, as I am Dwarf. Hear me (hopefully) make my saves!

Lastly, my Stoneskin was at 80/90 HP before combat, and I was struck three times. My spell is now at 50/90 HP, as it only loses 10 per hit (the same amount it prevents). I will edit Orrum's current HP into my post later.

Orrum

"No. I at least will not leave, Master Radley. We have deeper concerns at hand than the tidiness of your cellar. There were more than two undead creatures that I could detect with my divination; we must seek them out. Now." With that, Orrum paused, only to see if his divination was still active; if it was, he would focus and attempt to see if any further undead are nearby. If not, he immediately proceeds toward the now destroyed door from whence the wights came, warhammer in hand.

Spoiler
    Show
    Orrum is currently at 43/85 HP. A Cure Light or Moderate would be nice, but save the heavy stuff for people who're a lot closer to dead than they appear (like Radley).
    Last edited by MountainKing; 2009-06-05 at 10:55 AM.
    Amazing Mountain King avatar courtesy of the remarkable Starwoof!

18. - Top - End - #618
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    "Look, up in the thread!"

"It's a troll!"

"It's a moderator!"

"No... It's OCD Man!"

Heeeeeeere I post to save the daaaaaaaaaay!

So I went through the old threads. We began with 10th level starting XP, then we each earned 3,500 when Borninbones resumed DMing after Faithdreamer left (Page 2 of the current OOC thread). We then gained 10,000 XP after the Big Dam Fight (Page 17 of this thread). This is more than the 10,000 XP difference between level 10 and level 11, so we all leveled up, and went 3,500 XP towards the next level - level 12. Now DMftA has just awarded us an additional 1,800 XP (This page) bringing us to 11th level XP + 5,300/12,000 XP required to level up.

For further clarification:

We began with 45,000 XP (10th level starting)
    We gained a total of 3,500 + 10,000 + 1,800 = 14,300 XP
    This puts us at 59,300 XP for every character. Except for Harin, who needs to work out his LA buyback and then adjust to get more XP.
    59,300 XP is more than what's required for level 11 (55,000) but less than level 12 (66,000). Everyone needs an additional 6,700 XP to reach level 12. Except Harin, who needs a bit less to reach what is, effectively, ECL 11 or some such for him. That's between him and DMftA.

Hope that helps.

Edit: It is possible that we started halfway between level 10 and 11, in which case we have an additional 5,000 XP, putting us a solid encounter away from leveling up. It's DMftA's call, as the original XP total was stated by Bornin in the recruitment thread and has probably been purged.

Matthias

Matthias grunts agreement with Orrum. "There could be more of 'em. We need to check the vault."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    First off, my fort save vs. the negative level will be in the OOC thread, since you can't roll during edits here.

Second, Matthias is also hurting on HP. I'll figure out how much later, since I have to go now, but he's down more than half, I think.
    Last edited by Jade_Tarem; 2009-06-05 at 10:58 AM.

19. - Top - End - #619
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Your math is off just a bit...

45,000 + 3,500 + 10,000 + 1,800 = 60,300 XP total for each character

20. - Top - End - #620

Flumph

Spoiler
    Show
    60,300 XP total for each character will be the baseline, I'll be in touch with Kobold-Bard about how we'll be handling his LA buyoff. If there are no objections then for XP I'll keep track from now on (another few fights or one big encounter for next level in any case) and just let you know when you level, although if your curious I'll keep a running tally.

The basement is oddly quiet now, nothing moving except you guys, and you all feel a slight cold breeze, pulling air down the hole that was a trapdoor.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I Will Not Stand By
    I Will Not Give Up
    Regardless Of The Battle
    I Shall Fight

21. - Top - End - #621
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

If you're tracking it on a per-battle basis anyway, do you mind sharing with us how much we get each time? It gives me a sense of accomplishment to write it on my sheet :)

If you're just tracking it in the sense of "well, three battles and you level" then no worries. That system is fine with me too.

Radley

"Orrum, before you go down, I could use some help..."

He looks at his teammates with a clear sense of pain. His hand covers his side, and it is apparent he took a heavy dose of the negative energy during the battle.

22. - Top - End - #622
    Ettin in the Playground

Matthias

Matthias kneels for a moment to catch his breath. With the battle fading from the foreground of his thoughts, the ragged claw gashes in his torso and the negative energy still crackling through him remind him that, professional undead hunter or not, he's not invincible. He does feel that bit of his life essence stolen by the wight come back to him, though.

Seeing the group pausing to recover. Matthias waits until Radley is taken care of before speaks, a tiny trace of snark in his voice, "Ah, not to alarm anyone, but some of this blood spurting about... is actually mine."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Matthias is holding at 27/74 HP. His defenses aren't up there with Orrum's, so he's in somewhat worse shape. Any help would be appreciated! Although, if you think our healing resources are better left for later, he could chug a couple of potions and try not to get hit until we rest.
    Last edited by Jade_Tarem; 2009-06-05 at 03:12 PM.

23. - Top - End - #623
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Just to clarify, Radley only needs hp's, not Restoration.

20 or so would do it.

24. - Top - End - #624
    Titan in the Playground

Healing for all.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cure Moderate Wounds - Orrum: (2d8+10)[17]
    Cure Moderate Wounds - Radley: (2d8+10)[23]
    Cure Serious Wounds - Raker: (3d8+11)[24]

If anyone needs any more let me know and I'll top you up.

25. - Top - End - #625
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Evened out at 60/85, 50 HP remaining on Stoneskin, though I have a feeling the duration is about expired by now.

Orrum

Orrum pauses a moment as Radley speaks, saying nothing as Harin administers the graces of his god.

"For future reference, Master Radley, I am a student of the arcane. Should you need healing, I am not the best candidate to ask," with that, Orrum will nod his thanks to Harin, gripping his warhammer tightly. He will as ever, remain to the fore, the better to be the first in harm's way.

Spoiler
    Show
    When everyone is ready, Orrum will press on to the vault. I've only got an AC of 24; for our level, 'tis a wee on the light side for my liking (but then, I'm a bloody wizard. ) Weighing in at 85 at full health, I think I have the most HP in the party. If Orrum somehow dies, perhaps I'll make Groban as a character (with permission of course), and gives us something meatier. Until then, I think that's the best we've really got, with the exception of maybe Harin.

Also, Abyss, has Stoneskin worn off?
    Last edited by MountainKing; 2009-06-05 at 05:23 PM.

26. - Top - End - #626

Flumph

Spoiler
    Show
    Also, Abyss, has Stoneskin worn off?
    Not quite yet, though it's got a matter of minutes left in all probability

The room seems to slowly be regaining some of it's warmth. Though the dark hole in the floor promises both difficulties, and just perhaps, a few answers...
    Spoiler
    Show
    I Will Not Stand By
    I Will Not Give Up
    Regardless Of The Battle
    I Shall Fight

27. - Top - End - #627
    Ettin in the Playground

Matthias

Matthias nods his thanks to Harin and stands. He reloads his crossbow and prepares to enter the vault. Carefully. Forge, at his side, sniffs the air and growls.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Matthias will be third in the marching order, unless Harin wants to be second to last. Now holding at 51/74 HP.
    Last edited by Jade_Tarem; 2009-06-05 at 07:44 PM.

28. - Top - End - #628
    Ogre in the Playground

Orrum

Orrum will move to the hole, speaking softly a command word; to any undead creatures, he would likely be completely unseen.

"We should press on, if we are ready. My abjuration presently has but a few minutes remaining at best." That being said, Orrum will pause once more at the hole, peering into it and straining his ears, before dropping down into the vault.

Spoiler
    Show
    Orrum will cast Hide From Undead as one of his daily spell-like abilities granted by the Helm of Saint Siristi. Caster level is 11th (as that is currently higher than my own caster level).

Spot: (1d20+1)[18]
    Listen: (1d20+1)[5]

Just quick checks to see if I see or hear anything lurking below.
    Last edited by MountainKing; 2009-06-05 at 07:55 PM.

29. - Top - End - #629
    Ettin in the Playground

((I could use more healing still - I was down farther than I thought, 15 more would do))

Radley actually hadn't meant that he was asking Orrum for healing, just that he wanted the dwarf to wait a minute. But he doesn't correct him. He lets the others go down first and for his own part brings up the rear, still at the floor beside the hole while the others are already on the way down.

30. - Top - End - #630
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    CMW - Radley: (2d8+10)[12] (Snake Eyes, sorry AP )
    CSW Spell like - Harin: (3d8+11)[34] (that lost hit dice hurt me, supid level miscalculation. I only get 1 attack again now. Sorry again Abyss.)

Harin
    Finishing his healing duties, Harin draws his crossbow and locks an arrow into it, before following the group down is second position.
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2009-06-06 at 04:11 AM.