New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Opinions/Review on ErfWorld

I was just wondering, now that the comic has left page 100 far behind it, what everyone thinks of it overall.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Opinions/Review on ErfWorld

Omg So Awesome Woot!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    If the players figure out and try to stop this from occuring, the wizard instantly crafts a HUGE mound of quarterstaves and clubs to obscure himself before teleporting out.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I think it is fantastic; depending on the day, I'll say that either Erfworld of Girl Genius is my favorite webcomic. Why?

1. Great art. It's unique, and the blend of serious and cutsie is subversive and subtly dark. The concept behind the look is... unusual, to say the least.

2. The characters are interesting. Nobody behaves *quite* as you'd expect them to, but rather play against their archetype in some (sometimes subtle) way.Even the characters I don't like are skillfully done.

3. Interesting world. We've been given a fairly standard, "Earth person dropped into a parallel world" plot with all of the standard backdrop, but the authors are keeping us guessing about the true nature of the world. Is it "real," or a hallucination, or...? The clever word plays and twisted mirrorings of real things entertains me.

4. Impeccable pacing. Rob and Jamie have created a story arc that interweaves action, character development, mystery, and all of the other plot factors in the proper doses and at the proper time. While the nature of the webcomic format sometimes interferes with the reader getting that "real-time," reading through the archive makes the pacing clear and, IMHO, masterful.

5. Did I mention the art is beautiful?

6. Read through some of the conversations here; the story has enough depth and interest that not only are we happy discussing it ad infinitum, but often we fail to predict the next happening. Given the caliber of some of the folks following this (I'm thinking particularly of you, Steve, and the long-lost Scientivore), that's impressive writing.

Anyway, yeah. Love Erfworld. Buying a few copies of the dead-gump version when I can. Telling everybody I know about it.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Occasional Sage View Post
    I think it is fantastic; depending on the day, I'll say that either Erfworld of Girl Genius is my favorite webcomic. Why?
    Girl Genius is, in fact, also my other favourite comic. I have been a fan of Foglio for a long time. But yes, I would rank Erfworld close to it.

1. Great art. It's unique, and the blend of serious and cutsie is subversive and subtly dark. The concept behind the look is... unusual, to say the least.
    I am no sort of expert on graphic art, I should first stress. But Erfworld captivates me. The artwork appears simple at first glance but contains incredible detail. In spite of their cartoonish appearance, the Erfworlders emit an amazing expressiveness. More, each does it in her or his own way, ranging from Stanley's constant emotional eruptions through more restrained individuals like Sir Webinar all the way to Wanda, who is all but an ice queen.

2. The characters are interesting. Nobody behaves *quite* as you'd expect them to, but rather play against their archetype in some (sometimes subtle) way.Even the characters I don't like are skillfully done.
    The characters all have different dreams and hopes, and it shows. Also, most of them continue to change and evolve under the pressure of events. I empathise with the majority of them, which makes for an almost eerie story where what happens to the characters is more important to me than which side will ultimately win the war.

3. Interesting world. We've been given a fairly standard, "Earth person dropped into a parallel world" plot with all of the standard backdrop, but the authors are keeping us guessing about the true nature of the world. Is it "real," or a hallucination, or...? The clever word plays and twisted mirrorings of real things entertains me.
    I agree with all of the above.

4. Impeccable pacing. Rob and Jamie have created a story arc that interweaves action, character development, mystery, and all of the other plot factors in the proper doses and at the proper time. While the nature of the webcomic format sometimes interferes with the reader getting that "real-time," reading through the archive makes the pacing clear and, IMHO, masterful.
    In very deed. I myself go back through the archive from time to time for exactly this reason.

5. Did I mention the art is beautiful?
    You did, but it bears repeating.

6. Read through some of the conversations here; the story has enough depth and interest that not only are we happy discussing it ad infinitum, but often we fail to predict the next happening. Given the caliber of some of the folks following this (I'm thinking particularly of you, Steve, and the long-lost Scientivore), that's impressive writing.
    *sigh* I miss Scientivore, too. But the forums here remain one of my more liked retreats even if I don't always have as much time to post as I'd like.

Anyway, yeah. Love Erfworld. Buying a few copies of the dead-gump version when I can. Telling everybody I know about it.
    Hear hear.
    My Avatar is Vinnie Doombats from the Erfworld comic written by Rob Balder and illustrated by Jamie Noguchi.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Occasional Sage View Post

Indeed. The various expressions Wanda shows on just the latest page are nicely evocative.

I've learned to make several predictions on where I think the story might be going, keeping in mind the difference between "what's been clearly established" and "what I'm guessing (perhaps incorrectly) based on that". There have been some bits of misdirection, but always in a fair way (so that surprise developments contradict the latter, but not the former).

Skipping ahead a bit:

Thanks. Fortunately, I have three cats to keep the Hairless Ape Servant's ego in check.

[QUOTEAnyway, yeah. Love Erfworld. Buying a few copies of the dead-gump version when I can. Telling everybody I know about it.[/QUOTE]

Ditto.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

It's fine. Looking back, I think a lot of the reasons a group of us attacked the strip when it was young were mostly emotional or impulsive. More with what went on in the forums or with the handling of the strip, rather than the actual strip itself (and I'm not getting deeper into it than that).

Nowadays, as one of the comics in the 15-or-so comic lineup that I look up on the weekends, it does good. Maybe my 4th or 5th in line as to preference.

For me personally Erf stands as a big lesson on how you can appreciate and like a work, without necessarily doing so for the people behind said work. It's been educational.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

I can't draw. Best i can do is copy and paste someone else's images. So, when i decided to do a webcomic of my own, i commissioned some custom clip art to use. And you know what? Even just placing pictures with Corel Draw and adding captions to them can take hours. So when i see something done by people who can draw, even if it's just stick figures, i try to be patient with the amount of time they need. And when i see something like Erfworld, where the art approaches the level of portrait painting, for which the artist is not paid and therefor must have other commitments, well anything faster than 2 episodes a month is amazing. Albeit i'd probably be happy with stick figures and a faster schedule.

But i'm definitely enjoying the strip and have nothing to complain about.
    Last edited by dr pepper; 2008-08-09 at 01:49 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

The art is really good, especially for a webcomic, and the writing isn't that bad, either (though not outstanding in my eyes). For some reason, though, I have thus far not gotten a single one of Erfworld's jokes... this is subjective, of course, but it has decreased my enjoyment of it somewhat.

Overall, I read it when surfing to Gitp and noticing that a new one is up, but I don't actively check for it.
    "Sacrifing minions: is there any problem it CAN'T solve?"

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I have nineteen strips I check everyday for updates, and keep Erfworld for last, because its just that good. I also enjoy surfing its forums - it stimulates thought, speculation, and reflection.

All of the other comics I have read from the beginning, but Erworld it the only one I have read and re-read from the beginning, looking for clues, hints, details and tiny elements to extrapolate any iota of information from, to glean insight into the future.

The plots and characters are engaging and although the initial reaction was guarded and somwhat off-putting (read: different), the tiny candle-flame has roared into a bonfire of colossal proportions. Although I am not quite consumed by it, it has managed to spark some small creative sparks of my own and revivified a somewhat terminal campaign that was curently on life support.

This tale has taken almost two years to evolve, and has been worth the wait.
    As the creators do not make money of of this, I applaud theior dedication and determination. This is indeed a work of love and patient perseverance. I intend to purchase at least a couple of the books when they come out, to gift to people who did not give this strip a chance when it came out.

"Okay - you like the webcomic, but why?"

a) Because it speaks to my reality. The juxtaposition of the stranger in a strange land is done with a 'gamer perspective'. This is something most gamers have already toyed with, although i have never seen it applied to wargames with such a 'human/alien' twist to it. I feel sometimes like I too am learning the rules of society as I age and gain 'experience' (levels).

b) Because of the personalities. They are vivid, well-defined and comprise an ensemble cast worthy of long-term development. From the humble Bogroll, who has but a few lines, (what do I want most? To save your life, milord.), to Misty (RIP), even to the Joker... I want to know how each one of them develops. Each has quirks - Stanlye's holy quest, Ansom's nobility issues, Wanda's desire to please (you heard me). All echo my oddities.

c) Because of the unique art and writing. It is geared towards the gamer, but also to pop culture. It will find a slect audience, and I hope that it will be wide enough to gain a certain amount of notoriety and generate some sustenance for the creators, although I sense grave doubts about that. I appreciate that this is written for people just like me... a little geeky, at the periphery of life, but still somewhat socially relevant. This speaks to me.

d) Because the pacing is just right. Not because the releases are close or far together, just that the story has good rhythm. I suspect the total denouement will take 6 days of Erf time (on the seventh day - they rested).
    I have enjoyed re-reading the strip the most by reading one day per real day, and digesting, savoring the context and the development, sleeping on it, and then reading the next day again. Parson isa indeed the perfect Warlord in this instance - look how much he has accomplished in just a few days - from certain defeat to a glimmer of hope...

e) Because of the Human Dracomedy. The drama, exemplified by death of characters, betrayal, assumptions, court intrigues, mysteries, strategy, politics, is nicely counter-pointed with the moments of joy and humour - from gaming insider trope-jokes, to the occasional puns, to some of the 'vicious to cutesy' transformations (bubblegum dwagons, spidews, tardy elves, stuffed siege bears), the boopin' censor 'deus ex mahina' which prompted teh funniest battle-taunt song evah. Like life, it has highs and lows, and is portrayed masterfully - from the cutesy back down to the severe - the holding of the care bear corpse, the sadness of losing Misty, the sun's ebb following Jaclyn's demise... all moments marked with grief that could have veered into the maudlin, yet did not.

All in all, I could find more, but this is more than enough.

As to the comparisons earlier and the mention of Mr Foglio, an artist I have followed, supported and admired - his art is second to none. i would say that his buxom babes are baudacious and brave, and his detailed drawings are steampunk & gaslamp fantasy perfection, but I have not seen the dramatic tension present here. It remains comedic and seductive, occasionally violent and dramatic, but without the tragic elements present here. I love it, but this comic is darker and stranger - for an older audience.

I look forward to the book when it comes out.
    Count me in, no matter what (unless my inner darkness claims me and extinguishes my fading ember of humanity, my hope, my warming core of empathy and curiosity, and plunges me into the icy depths of unending madness, despair and desire for destruction).

:)
    Last edited by Richbin; 2008-08-11 at 09:12 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Richbin View Post
    All of the other comics I have read from the beginning, but Erworld it the only one I have read and re-read from the beginning, looking for clues, hints, details and tiny elements to extrapolate any iota of information from, to glean insight into the future.
    Likewise.

a) Because it speaks to my reality. The juxtaposition of the stranger in a strange land is done with a 'gamer perspective'. This is something most gamers have already toyed with, although i have never seen it applied to wargames with such a 'human/alien' twist to it. I feel sometimes like I too am learning the rules of society as I age and gain 'experience' (levels).
    Agreed. Despite its derivative origin, gamer culture has become a rich environment all its own. That's why i like KODT as well.

b) Because of the personalities. They are vivid, well-defined and comprise an ensemble cast worthy of long-term development. From the humble Bogroll, who has but a few lines, (what do I want most? To save your life, milord.), to Misty (RIP), even to the Joker... I want to know how each one of them develops. Each has quirks - Stanlye's holy quest, Ansom's nobility issues, Wanda's desire to please (you heard me). All echo my oddities.

c) Because of the unique art and writing. It is geared towards the gamer, but also to pop culture. It will find a slect audience, and I hope that it will be wide enough to gain a certain amount of notoriety and generate some sustenance for the creators, although I sense grave doubts about that. I appreciate that this is written for people just like me... a little geeky, at the periphery of life, but still somewhat socially relevant. This speaks to me.
    Agreed.

d) Because the pacing is just right. Not because the releases are close or far together, just that the story has good rhythm. I suspect the total denouement will take 6 days of Erf time (on the seventh day - they rested).
    Not so sure about that, but no complaints.

I have enjoyed re-reading the strip the most by reading one day per real day, and digesting, savoring the context and the development, sleeping on it, and then reading the next day again.
    Ok, now you're just nuts.

e) Because of the Human Dracomedy. The drama, exemplified by death of characters, betrayal, assumptions, court intrigues, mysteries, strategy, politics, is nicely counter-pointed with the moments of joy and humour - from gaming insider trope-jokes, to the occasional puns, to some of the 'vicious to cutesy' transformations (bubblegum dwagons, spidews, tardy elves, stuffed siege bears), the boopin' censor 'deus ex mahina' which prompted teh funniest battle-taunt song evah. Like life, it has highs and lows, and is portrayed masterfully - from the cutesy back down to the severe - the holding of the care bear corpse, the sadness of losing Misty, the sun's ebb following Jaclyn's demise... all moments marked with grief that could have veered into the maudlin, yet did not.
    Agreed. And all of that layed out in just a few panels. Genius!

I look forward to the book when it comes out.
    Count me in, no matter what (unless my inner darkness claims me and extinguishes my fading ember of humanity, my hope, my warming core of empathy and curiosity, and plunges me into the icy depths of unending madness, despair and desire for destruction).
    Well, then you go here

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

[QUOTE=dr pepper;4691018
    Ok, now you're just nuts.
    [/QUOTE]

MAD AS THE PROVERBIAL HATTER, but twice as cunning...
    or not.

And I too, enjoy KODT - I am hunting down the printed ones, slowly building up my collection.
    Crossbow shot to the head!