New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Grarule

1. - Top - End - #91
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Grarule

Hmm... seven items. Seven symbols, maybe? And a series of circles and triangles? I don't recall anything like this in Silva's teachings. Hmm...

"Wait, you may be on to something, Sir Elf," Galad cries, and seeks to put the feet of the candleholder into the lighter colored wood on one side of the tabe, and then put the goblet in the centre.
    "Maybe this will...?"
    Last edited by ColonelFuster; 2008-08-13 at 03:55 PM.
    Look! It's me!
    The Fey Archer (made for my fiance, many years ago.)
    Savannah gets the awesome credit for my John Locke avatar.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ettin in the Playground

Interesting...

Maple, finally getting onto the same page as everyone else, empties her bag onto the table, revealing seven small gems.

When I first looked at this, I figured that whoever gave us the discs was just kind of bribing us with treasure at the same time, but now that I see what you all have, I guess it could be important.

She sighs. I don't really see how any of it fits into the puzzle at hand, though.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    If Colonel's thing works then just ignore this

Noticing the other plans having little effect, Jacob turned his focus to the only things in the room besides them and their free gifts. The candlestick and the goblet probably weren't in a closed off room by coincedence, so he figured whatever they were supposed to do may have had something to do with them.

Looking through the tools he had avaliable, he did the best thing he could think to do with these simple objects. Taking out his waterskin, he filled the goblet full with water, then turned to the others in the room with him.
    "Anyone got something we can use to light up these candles? It'll at least brighten up the place a bit if not do something more useful."

4. - Top - End - #94
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Vrryyn rolls his eyes, not really wanting to use his magic on something he would consider a waste. (No offense Slamexo, I mean a waste in the characters eyes.)

Fine, here. He says taking the candles. He takes out a flint and steel and lights them the old fashion way.

Vrryyn then turns to Maple

My dear lady, I believe your gemstones indeed ARE the pieces of this puzzle. Think about it. Seven stones, seven symbols. Now we just must decide which of the stones goes where.Vrryyn says, inspecting the symbols.
    Spoiler
    Show

What are the symbols?
    Last edited by Zarpasphankaris; 2008-08-13 at 04:06 PM.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ColonelFuster View Post
    Hmm... seven items. Seven symbols, maybe? And a series of circles and triangles? I don't recall anything like this in Silva's teachings. Hmm...

"Wait, you may be on to something, Sir Elf," Galad cries, and seeks to put the feet of the candleholder into the lighter colored wood on one side of the tabe, and then put the goblet in the centre.
    "Maybe this will...?"
    The two feet of the candle holder and the goblet both fit perfectly into the circles on the table . But Nothing else happens .
    Reduced posting til monday , sorry those I am gaming withSeven Provinces

Cliche

Tophats Gauntlet

6. - Top - End - #96

Spoiler
    Show
    DAMMIT! I hope I'm getting the right idea with the next one... it would help to have a map, though.

Galad takes out his crystal ball and scratches his head.

"Crystall ball, chisel, noiseless whistle, seeds, gems, a clay pot, and a dagger."

Galad wracks his brain for anything that could lend a hint.

"Erm... let's see... seven... maybe the seven provinces? West, Logan... mining. Chisel." He directs Jacob to one end of the table, where a point of the equilateral triangle on the ground points.
    "Okay, and then Gulliver, in the northwest. Farming country." He silently guides Liku by the shoulder to Jacob's left.
    "After that, the northeast, a magical country, Portiso. Crystal Ball." He puts his item in the spot next to Jacob.
    "And in the east, Lothar, which exports jewlery. Gems." He scoop up the precious stones and brings them, with Maple, to the opposite side as Jacob.
    "Right next to Lothar is Stinger, which is full of natural country. Maybe... clay pot?" He points to the spot, while looking at the dwarf.
    "That just leaves Morton and Ashby. Morton is generally forested, so maybe the wolf whistle belongs there?" He points to the 'southern' spot and looks to Aresk.
    "Huh." He looks to the dagger. "I don't suppose I could get you to stab that into the table, friend?"
    Last edited by ColonelFuster; 2008-08-13 at 05:17 PM.
    Look! It's me!

7. - Top - End - #97
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Vrryn puts on a fake maniacal smile, looks at Sir Galad and replies

Ohh yes please. I would VERY much appreciate the feel of stabbing something right now! And I must also add Sir Galad, that the dagger also has the ingravment of a shark into the hilt. Are any of the provinces aquatic, by any chance? Or near the coast?
    Last edited by Zarpasphankaris; 2008-08-13 at 09:27 PM.

ooo! or candyland?? thog loves candyland!
    No, Thog! It's just an expression. We're NOT playing "Candyland".
    *sigh* Thog fears he will never again know the majesty of the gumdrop mountains.

8. - Top - End - #98

Galad gives a small laugh. "Well, there's a shark on it, and I would generally think of something like that as evil. No offense to anyone," he adds quickly. "You may want to try submersing it in the goblet, though- it is at the centre."
    "In Silva's name, let it be done."
    Last edited by ColonelFuster; 2008-08-13 at 10:13 PM.
    Look! It's me!

9. - Top - End - #99
    Dwarf in the Playground

WIth the Candles Lit and the goblet full of water ,it looks almost as if you can see an image in the water , but its very unclear ,almost as if the water isnt clear enough to show the intended image .

Arranging the items around the room seems to have little effect

Cliche

Tophats Gauntlet

10. - Top - End - #100
    Orc in the Playground

Seeing the faint image in the water, Jacob smiles that his idea seemed to have some effect on their situation. However, at the moment it didn't seem to be having a perfect effect, and something else looked like it still needed to be done.

Taking one of the lit candles from the candle stick, he moves it closer to the water's surface and eventually puts it into the goblet until something, if anything happens.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Dwarf in the Playground

When you move the candle from the holder it makes the image even less distinct than before .

Cliche

Tophats Gauntlet

12. - Top - End - #102
    Orc in the Playground

Feeling that the puzzle was almost figured out, Jacob felt there must just have been one more thing that needed changing.

"Let's see, water in a goblet, and light on the candles. The candles need to be in their for this to work if I'm correct, and the water in the goblet's definitly on the right track, so maybe we just need those two to be the only things working?"

Turning his head to Aresk, Jacob continues his idea "Maybe you should turn off that torch of a cloak of yours; that might be what's fuzzing up this image here."

Assuming Aresk complies with this idea, Jacob will turn his head back to look into the water at the image again.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Dwarf in the Playground

Apart from making the room a bit darker when the cloak is not producing light anymore nothing changes

Cliche

Tophats Gauntlet

14. - Top - End - #104
    Orc in the Playground

"Ok, this is my last idea and if this doesn't work then I've got nothing left at the moment" Jacob says to everyone else. Moving over to the orb that Galad placed on the floor, he picks it up and looks through it into the water and, if nothing happens, places it into the goblet, assuming it'll fit.
    Last edited by Slamexo; 2008-08-14 at 06:36 AM.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Dwarf in the Playground

As you place the orb into the top of the goblet it sits snuggly on the rim .
    Looking into the orb the image inside seems to solidify and you can see yourself and your fellows standing in an almost identical room to the one you are standing in now .
    There are two main exceptions to this firstly the room in the orb has two doors ,one to the left and one to the right as well as that a Warhammer is resting against the wall .
    Looking up from the orb you see that the orb isnt as different as you thought , there are indeed two doors in the room you stand in as well as a warhammer resting on the wall

Cliche

Tophats Gauntlet

16. - Top - End - #106
    Orc in the Playground

Astounded but satisfied that the idea had actually worked, Jacob set about to look through the new features of the room. He first set his attention to the warhammer to see if it was of any value and would consider it a prize for the challenge if it was.

Spoiler
    Show
    Appraise check please Mr. Hat, at a +3 bonus

17. - Top - End - #107
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Can the rest of us see the doors and warhammer as well? If we can...

By the gods... you solved it, without magic?! I am very confused.

ooo! or candyland?? thog loves candyland!
    No, Thog! It's just an expression. We're NOT playing "Candyland".
    *sigh* Thog fears he will never again know the majesty of the gumdrop mountains.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yes , everyone can see the new doors and the warhammer , everything else in the room is as was .
    The warhammer looks to be made of a sturdy steel head that has and pole and has a red leather grip along most of its poles length . Its of a standard size suitable for a medium sized wielder .

Cliche

Tophats Gauntlet

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ettin in the Playground

[I can just hear the little chime from The Legend of Zelda, heh...]

Wow...

Maple momentarily stares at the magic appearing doors in appreciation before snapping back into practical mode again.

Oh! Good one! she says as she puts her gems away for later. She's already coming to the conclusion that each of their 'gifts' would likely play a part in a different puzzle before this was finished. In fact, the hammer might have a part in it, too...

She picks it up and hands it to Jake. Hey, um, Jacob? Here. You put it all together, so it's only fair that you should get the reward, right?
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2008-08-14 at 10:42 AM.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Orc in the Playground

Jacob smiles at Maple's generous offer, but politely declines her.
    "Thanks but I'm only interested in treasures I can sell or items I can use, and I've got better ways to deal with things than to swing a hammer at them. If anyone else wants it though, go ahead."

Jacob then turned his attention to the two doors that had also appeared.

"Well, it seems whatever force brought us here wants us to stick together, which I'd be less hesitant about if they hadn't just locked us in a room with no exit. Still, I'm going to try that door that's just appeared" Jacob says as he points to the door on the left. "If anyone wants to come with me, then go ahead." He continues before glaring at Aresk "Of course I'm not saying you have to."

Jacob then retrieves his bone chisel before he tries the door he was referring to and, assuming it isn't locked, will go through to have a look whilst waiting on the other side for anyone who decides to come with him.

Spoiler
    Show
    Also, aren't I supposed to get a rough value of the item depending on my appraise roll? And a really off value if I get a rubbish roll?
    Last edited by Slamexo; 2008-08-14 at 10:56 AM.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Dwarf in the Playground

Money wise you'd probably think that the warhammer was around the 300 gold piece mark , its a fine piece of craftmanship .
    The door opens easily into a corridor that looks to turn to the north about 30 feet down .

( it may not actually be north but for the sake of easy description im going to call it north as a frame of reference :) )

Cliche

Tophats Gauntlet

22. - Top - End - #112
    Orc in the Playground

Since the door led to a corridor he couldn't check further without exploring down, Jacob decided to try the other door first. However, upon entering the room he took a second glance at the warhammer and realized it was quite an exquisite weapon. "You know what? Scratch that, I'm gonna keep this after all." Jacob announced before picking up the warhammer and sliding it between the strap on his back and himself. Then, he tries the other door and, assuming it's also unlocks, goes through to see what's on the other side.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Dwarf in the Playground

The other door leads to a similiar corridor that also turns north after 30 feet

Cliche

Tophats Gauntlet

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ettin in the Playground

Aresk bing the soruce of light, he walks down the hallway first.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

Kiehn

The dwarf pushes his way past Aresk. "I'll take point, if ya don't mind! I can see in the dark well enough. You stay back about fifteen or twenty feet so I can see and scout, ok?"
    I have returned!! Not that most of y'all know whom I am.

Mega-Awesome Avatar done by Dawn!

The Many Faces of GimliFett.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Orc in the Playground

Jacob, seeing Aresk and Kiehn going down one passage, decides to head down the other, wanting to spend as little time with the stuck up spellcaster as necessary.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ettin in the Playground

Aresk a little offened, that the dwarf would just push him out of the way like that, stood back a little, but not enough to tottaly black out his vision.
    "Be my guest, you can be the first one to get run through when the trap goes off."

28. - Top - End - #118

Galad, though disappointed that his idea didn't work, goes after Jacob, once he dicides that the orb is no longer neccesary.
    "Hold! Sir Jacob! Hold!"
    He catches up shortly and puts his hand on the psion's shoulder. "I'm sorry, Sir Jacob, I do not want to be contrary, and it is against my code to have that which is not mine, but perhaps you would forsake the hammer we found, using my orb, to me. I do believe it is the will of the one who brought us here." Galad takes out his own warhammer and compares them to demonstrate.
    Look! It's me!

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

Kiehn

Kiehn turns back to the arcanist. "I doubt our host would try to murder us with traps in a portable pocket-dimension of his own devising. On the other hand, I'm probably best suited to spotting and dealing with any traps there might be anyway and I'd rather be at the front of it than the back. Betters my chances of leaping clear should I actually miss something. Which you'd better hope I don't." Smirking, the dwarf winks then turns and continues down the hall, eyeing the walls and floor as he goes.
    I have returned!! Not that most of y'all know whom I am.

Mega-Awesome Avatar done by Dawn!

The Many Faces of GimliFett.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Orc in the Playground

Jacob was hesistant. He had solved the puzzle, and he felt that he deserved a prize for his efforts. However, if it was whoever had set up this little ploy's intention that the paladin get the hammer, who could also use it better than he could, then it'd be wrong to take it from him. Plus he seemed like a nice enough guy, and it wouldn't hurt to have a favour in stock with him just in case.

"Fair enough, but don't forget this!" Jacob smiled as he handed the hammer to Galad "And don't call me sir either, just Jacob's fine."

After which, he continued back down the hallway as he was originally intending.