New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Round-Robin Storytelling

It was fine. But... isn't Brickwall supposed to go before me?

2. - Top - End - #92
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun
    It was fine. But... isn't Brickwall supposed to go before me?
    He does... in fact, I think we're just continually skipping Matteau, which means myself (Abd), Sophistemon, Brickwall, PhoeKun.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie
    And with strange aeons even death may die.

Expand for quotes.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Sophismata View Post
    You are a bad, bad man, Abd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthromancer View Post
    'Psionics' is just tapping into the core of magic within yourself, whereas the mumbo-jumbo dancing, gibbering, and flinging around esoteric material components is like trying to paint-by-numbers when the guy next to you is rendering works from Picasso by memory alone.

Abd's contribution to the Animate/End A World project.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Bugbear in the Playground

Whoops, you're right. Sorry. Brickwall, your turn!

4. - Top - End - #94
    Banned

"Show her the leg, Jack."

"It's Jaques, dammit. And I'm not doing anything of the sort. It'd be easier just to tell a little story and move on."

Before Fred could speak up, Fam'tala interjected, "Of course it'd be easier, but I want to see it for myself. Besides, Fred has to go around showing his scar to everyone and their grandmother, so there's no reason you should be hiding yours like that."

Jaques wanted to grumble something in reply, but he knew there was no point. He rolled up his pant leg and unwrapped a bandage. Eyes dotted his entire lower leg. However, some were looking around instead of crying. "That happens during the Storm, sometimes. I've never figured out why." Fam'tala seemed unresponsive, and examined the eyes closely.

"They're all of your eye color. With a scar like this, they should all be different."

"I don't see what that has to do with anything," Jaques replied angrily. She spoke of his disfigurement as if it was some...experiment. "Look, if you'll excuse me, I have a population to take care of." He wound the bandage and rolled his pant leg down again, then stormed out of the room.

Fam'tala and Fred watched him leave. "Your friend. He's blond. Actually, he looks a lot like-"

"Be quiet, 'tala. If he hears you, well, I don't want him knowing about this."

I have my own idea of what to do with this, but I've been verbose enough already.

5. - Top - End - #95

That was cool. I like how you made his impossible deformity stranger than the other impossible deformities.

6. - Top - End - #96

Definately.

"Oh, eyes cover your leg. Yeah, that's normal... wait... they all look the same! No way!"

Expand for quotes.

Spoiler
    Show
    'Psionics' is just tapping into the core of magic within yourself, whereas the mumbo-jumbo dancing, gibbering, and flinging around esoteric material components is like trying to paint-by-numbers when the guy next to you is rendering works from Picasso by memory alone.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm still trying to decide where I want to go with that. I should have something up soon...

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ettin in the Playground

"Be quiet, 'tala. If he hears you, well, I don't want him knowing about this."

But Jaques wasn't listening to Fam'tala. Or to Frederic. He wasn't listening to anything. The same color... so what? There shouldn't be eyes on a man's leg! What the hell does it matter that they look like my eyes!? Lost in his anger and his shame, Jaques nearly missed the crowd swelling around him. He would have walked right past them were it not for the enormous, bald man looming in front of him.

"What the hell do you think you're trying to pull, Jaques? Letting that... woman in here!"

"And just what was I supposed to do? Force her back into the Storm?"

"Mark my words: she's going to bring trouble in here. I want her out." The crowd of people shouted their assent. Jaques stood his ground.

"You're acting like monsters! We're all human beings, and we should act like it. That woman, you or me! We're all just... normal people."
    ----------------------

This could get ugly, ya know?

9. - Top - End - #99

Sorry, all. I'd love to post some follow up- PhoeKun's got a fun little situation to play off- but I'm too busy today. I'll try to get back in ASAP. :'(

Expand for quotes.

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #100

Take your time. It's a shame that I have to wait, though. A shame for me. I have an idea that I'd love to implement but it'll be too late by the time my turn comes around. I'd better start thinking of something else to compensate.

11. - Top - End - #101

Quote Originally Posted by Sophistemon
    Take your time. It's a shame that I have to wait, though. A shame for me. I have an idea that I'd love to implement but it'll be too late by the time my turn comes around. I'd better start thinking of something else to compensate.
    Take your turn now. I'll come back in for the next cycle. I know you can hardly live without my writing, but try to manage, eh? ;)

BTW, I like the avatar. You've used it before, right? I remember that staff.

Expand for quotes.

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #102

I thank you for the offer, but no. The point of the exercise is to deal with what we are given to the best of our abilities. Were I to take a turn out of order would set a bad example. So thanks again for the opportunity, but I'll wait my turn.

And yeah, I've used this avatar before. I think it's my favorite.

EDIT
    Okay, I don't think that Abd's seen this post yet, but that's okay. I'm still not going to post out of turn. but I need you guys to know that I'll be away from my computer for around four days, as I'll be at Myrtle Beach. Take care of the story while I'm gone. I doubt that it will end during my absence but if it does please wait for me to start a new one. That's all. See you guys later!

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ettin in the Playground

Looks like Abd's turn is over.

And evidently, Sophistemon won't be able to post for a while.

I guess that means Brickwall's up.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Banned

"We're all just normal people!"

"How do you know? You wouldn't know a Denizen if it stared you in the face!"

"That's enough!" broke a voice from the back of the crowd. Fred stormed through, more angry than Jaques remembered seeing him. "You all go about your business! Fam'tala is a Hunter, and you all better respect that. Otherwise you'll have me t'answer to!" The crowd quited down instantly, and began dispersing. Nobody wanted to go against the word of a Hunter.

"Impressive. I've never seen you like that before," Jaques said to Fred as soon as the crowd had thinned. Fred was silent, but he didn't need to say anything. Jaques noticed that Fred's veins were pulsing oddly. It was too late into the Storm for scars to be acting oddly. Something else was up.

"Jaques, something's come up. If we're going to see an Orcale, we have to leave today."

"What?! The storm won't be over for almost a fortnight! You can't expect me to go out there?!"

"Your scar will protect you from the Ravages. It's only the Denizens you have to worry about. Me'n 'tala can handle that." Jaques didn't respond. How could Fred be serious? What was so important that they had to leave now?

Too long, yes, but I like it. The story was moving fine, but I decided it was a good time to throw it into gear. NEXT.

Oh, and, yeah. I decided that the scar-causers were called Ravages, and that Scarred people were never hit by them (at least, not by the Storm itself).

15. - Top - End - #105

Good. I was a bit worried this would start to fail when myself, Sophistemon, and Matteau failed to post for their turns. Keep the dream alive!

Expand for quotes.

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ettin in the Playground

What's this? People are posting again? I was starting to think I was all alone in here...

I'd better get to work on the next paragraph, then. I'm going to need a little while to adjust to this sudden shift in tempo, though. I generally prefer a slower pace than this, but this is really about adapting, isn't it?

17. - Top - End - #107
    Banned

There's still at least a paragraph or two to write about the preparation to leave. It could be stretched out for an entire cycle, probably. Go at whatever pace you feel is appropriate.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, in any event, I seem to have well and truly failed to keep the deadline. Which means Abd is up, if I'm not mistaken.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Dwarf in the Playground

Look guys, I've only contributed once and am about to be incapacitated again for who knows how long(wisdom teeth).

I invite you to grab one of the people that didn't make it in this round to replace me. I plan on following it still.

Sorry. :( forgive me.
    Mercy is the mark of a great man.
    *stab*
    Guess I'm just a good man.
    *stab*
    Well, I'm alright.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Banned

I'd take personal responsibility for keeping this alive, but I leave on vacation Saturday and probably will not have net access until at least Thursday (a week from now).

21. - Top - End - #111

Okay, it looks as if all of us are busy right now and thus incapable of continuing the story for the time being. Threadromancy notwithstanding, I feel it would be best to schedule, say, a week's hiatus from the story for all of us to sort out our busy lives, so that we can get back to creating the awesomist story evah. In this time, Sophistemon and I would be getting back to the storytelling, and it looks like PhoeKun has been having some writer's block issues as well that I hope we can get past.

Any ideas? We could schedule a restarting time, with myself posting first, for, say, Monday? Tuesday Sophistemon can go, Wednesday PhoeKun, and Thursday (when he gets back) Brickwall.

Expand for quotes.

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #112
    Banned

Fine, but my net access is not guaranteed. Those cable companies can be tricksy and unreliable.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Abd al-Azrad
    Okay, it looks as if all of us are busy right now and thus incapable of continuing the story for the time being. Threadromancy notwithstanding, I feel it would be best to schedule, say, a week's hiatus from the story for all of us to sort out our busy lives, so that we can get back to creating the awesomist story evah. In this time, Sophistemon and I would be getting back to the storytelling, and it looks like PhoeKun has been having some writer's block issues as well that I hope we can get past.

Any ideas? We could schedule a restarting time, with myself posting first, for, say, Monday? Tuesday Sophistemon can go, Wednesday PhoeKun, and Thursday (when he gets back) Brickwall.
    I can handle that. I don't think this new board section moves fast enough that threadromancy will even be required if we only have to wait until Monday.

I'll take this time to whip out my Writer's ChiselTM and chip away at the block of cement sitting on top of my keyboard.

24. - Top - End - #114

Good. I was a bit worried this would start to fail when myself, Sophistemon, and Matteau failed to post for their turns. Keep the dream alive!
    Fear not, for I have returned.

We could schedule a restarting time, with myself posting first, for, say, Monday? Tuesday Sophistemon can go, Wednesday PhoeKun, and Thursday (when he gets back) Brickwall.
    Sounds like a rockin' plan to me! Though would we be posting like we (should) have been, with a possible more than one post a day, or will it be on a purely day-by-day basis?

25. - Top - End - #115

Post whenever you get the inspiration. We had a lot of good starting ideas, and I think everyone's become a little daunted by the fact that we now have to craft a story from them.

---

What was so important that they had to leave now?

---

The small band of refugees had been searching for days for a shelter. None would accept them, most rose arms at the sight of them. None they met seemed to care they bore children- innocents, as far as any could be- out of fear or hate or despair or any other reason to deny shelter to those in need. Broken and twisted by the Storm's touch, the poor group marched onward, town to town, begging for mercy from those who had long ago learned the dangers of those coming in from the Storm.

This disappoints us. The humans have become too driven by fear to let us in. Perhaps they know of us? [no they could not know they have not the minds for it we must keep searching for others to let us in] But their fear is too great. They will not accept any outsiders. [then we must give them something to conquer fear we must give them hope]

The band of refugees was torn to pieces, and blown away like chaff on the winds of change.

A woman strode briskly against the Storm, her eyes set on a small shelter in a small town. She noted the bells. Perhaps they will let in one promising them freedom from the Storm. We shall see how this plays out.

---

Just wanted to do a weird little cutscene into the out-of-doors. And establish that something worse than a little bad weather was going on out there.

Expand for quotes.

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #116

Perhaps they will let in one promising them freedom from the Storm. We shall see how this plays out.
    Jaques sat in his room, thinking deeply. He wasn't an old man yet, just a young one with a bad leg. He had no family and he doubted that many people counted him as a friend. So what would he lose if he went with Frederick and Fam'tala? His life, possibly, if he ventured into the storm. But what would he gain? His life, possibly, if he made it to the oracle. So he was risking everything for everything. He ran his hand over the bandages on his leg. They were moist. He made his decision.

When he opened her door Fam'tala was standing as though she'd expected him. Neither spoke for a long while until she walked toward him, took his right hand in hers and said:

"I'll help you pack."

<So how's that? I'm thinking that the persons mentioned in Abd's addition can intercept the group as they leave, but that's me.>

27. - Top - End - #117

I'm happy. Wow, I dodged building the story as well. I just threw together some sideplot involving baddies. Man, writing the middle chapters of a story is hard.

But I knew that from DMing.

Expand for quotes.

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #118

Did I dodge the story? I got it so that they're leaving the compound...

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ettin in the Playground

"I'll help you pack."

"I..."

Jaques opened his mouth, but no words would come out. A swell of emotions, both positive and negative, joy and sadness, light and dark... the weight of his decision held him still, kept him gagged. After what seemed like an eternity, he withdrew his hand from Fam'tala's and shook his head.

"I'm... I'm ok. I need to do this myself."

Fam'tala smiled demurely, and followed Jaques to his room, but stayed out. For his part, Jaques allowed himself a smile. He wasn't going to pack - there was nothing worth bringing. He was going to say good bye. Good bye to the life he once knew.
    -----------------------------
    ooc: I'm so bad at moving action! Gah!

30. - Top - End - #120

Good job. Who's next? I've forgotten...

Oh, right. It's Abd!