New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The Dark Lord [Chapter 1] A New Beginning

Olna

"My dear Eden, you know I always get my gossip from you first!" She smiles and links arms with the two cavaliers and walks along with them.

"Yes, let us head to our 'home.' Oh, how funny it is to hear that, and not mean my mother's house. I think I shall really enjoy being the mistress of, well a quarter of a house!"

"Mistress Olna?" A young, beautiful, girl who had been walking behind the pair speaks up lightly. "Might I play with the dog too?"

"Yes, but let Master Throshkar introduce you first. That is a working dog and trained to kill."

The young girl nods respectfully and waits for Throshkar to introduce her. If he does she plays with the dog and tries to make friends with Louis.

"Oh, they grow up so quickly, don't they?"
    Last edited by oliana0; 2008-08-24 at 08:28 AM.
    I'm not dead. I am also not a walrus.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Orc in the Playground

Throshkar duLaBlonc

"Of course she can, Henri can be gentle when he wants to be." Throshkar lets out a sharp whistle a bit too close to Olna's ear, and Henri comes padding up to the group. An exhausted Louis -- who finally managed to attach the leash -- follows. Throshkar gestures to the girl and says, "Be nice. Friend! And you, Louis -- show her a good time." He raises one eyebrow and tosses the boy a handful of silvers.

Watching the youngsters play with Henri, Throshkar asks Olna and Johnathan about where they've been.

3. - Top - End - #33

Olna

"There's this small inn on the road a day's travel from here. A hour's walk down a twisty path through a forest to the most beautiful waterfall. There's a cave behind the waterfall that you have to row under the water fall and up aways then disembark and follow a little trickle of water through this little small passage until it opens up to the glorious cavern. The walls are riddled with small specks of reflective stone and when the sun is just right it shines through the waterfall and the whole cavern is lit with a green light that reflects off the walls. It's stunning!"

4. - Top - End - #34
    Orc in the Playground

Throshkar duLaBlonc

Throshkar smiles. He'd shown Johnathan that spot some months ago -- it was his favorite spot for secluded rendezvous, especially those with women who needed to be discreet. The only surprise was that Johnathan hadn't taken his mistress there earlier.

"Sounds lovely. You'll have to share the experience with me sometime, eh?" Throshkar refrained from poking Olna's slender side with his armored elbow this time.

"As for the gossip and rumor-mongering, you won't get much from me, so if you want to learn more about the state of affairs around here, you'd best ask some of the merchants and other folk before we head back to the estate."

"I've done with my shopping -- once you're ready, we'll be off!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Do you want to use some of your mad Diplomacy and Gather Info skillz to pick up info before we go home and I reveal our quest? I'm curious why the crowds are staring at Throshkar (and you two as well?), but it's not in his makeup to care. What rumors are going around about the cavaliers, do you think?

5. - Top - End - #35

Olna

Olna sees what the Cavalier means. "If we are to learn anything... Will you take Jonathon back to the manor? I'll finish my shopping and meet you there soon."

Olna kisses the two on the cheek and heads toward the nearest tavern.

Spoiler
    Show

Gather Information is at +15. She will use Diplomacy (+27) to soften anyone up that needs it.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Orc in the Playground

Throshkar duLaBlonc

The nobleman shrugs as she walks away. "I knew you couldn't resist!" He tosses her a kiss grandly, then enjoys watching her departure...

Spoiler
    Show
    Heh, I love how Olna thinks Throshkar's suggestion had strategic intent!

Do you want to roleplay Throshkar and Johnathan, or shall we end scene and get them back to the homestead? I'm fine either way.
    Last edited by Cyranojoe; 2008-08-24 at 08:06 PM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

[MAP]
    Spoiler
    Show

CJ
    Throshkar and Jonathon head off in the direction towards their house. As they wonder through the streets then come upon a crowd watching a scene play out. You stop for a second to watch and you see Kilmer being hauled away in chains by a troop of black knights and city watch. He is being brought into a building. Jonathon looks nervous as the crowd cheers as this once leader is hauled away. You feel sick to your stomach.

Oliana [Gather info]
    Spoiler
    Show
    You easily ascertain the information you need. You hear that people have become wary of the Cavaliers after several rumors have been circulating. It has been suggested that the cavaliers are responsible for the late kings death. The new king has also proclaimed that leaders in the guild are responsible for treason against the throne. Additionally, there is fear of an up rising of the cavaliers to overthrow and set up marshal law. Several Cavalier leaders have been arrested.
    I am posting from my IPhone 90% of the time. Please forgive any spellcheck errors.
    Notice: All events written about or discussed on this site are fictional and fantasy/science fiction based.They are for entertainment purposes only within a fantasy/science fiction game and any relationship to the real world (events, individuals, situations, etc) are unintended and coincidental.

8. - Top - End - #38

Olna

A sense of doom slowly descends around Olna. Jonathon, sweet Jonathon, needs her more than ever. She thanks the people that offer her information and asks that they try to minimize the spread of these rumors; they are likely false.

Olna moves quickly, but trying to appear calm, towards the manor home.

Jonathon

"What is going on Throshkar? Why is no one stopping them? Should we do something?"

Spoiler
    Show

Jonathon will generally follow T's lead when separate from Olna.

Does anyone recognize the building?
    Last edited by oliana0; 2008-08-25 at 12:43 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by oliana0 View Post
    Does anyone recognize the building?
    The building is a city watch guardhouse.
    I am posting from my IPhone 90% of the time. Please forgive any spellcheck errors.
    Notice: All events written about or discussed on this site are fictional and fantasy/science fiction based.They are for entertainment purposes only within a fantasy/science fiction game and any relationship to the real world (events, individuals, situations, etc) are unintended and coincidental.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Orc in the Playground

Throshkar duLaBlonc

Throshkar watches the soldiers with open curiosity, which only slowly fades after he realizes their prisoner is Kilmer. The pieces... fall... into place... eventually. His stomach twists as he recalls Kilmer's words to him:

'Hopefully, you seem to an unlikely ally of mine to not warrant enough attention...'

It takes all of Throshkar's will to hold himself back, to not raise his battle cry here and now. He reminds himself the soldiers are on the side of the law, he tells himself Kilmer is merely being imprisoned, he swears there is a higher quest he must follow, he cannot get involved...

He feels his honor shriveling up, and tells himself that with the young prince, he will return and rescue Kilmer, either by arms or by law, but it is his duty to his king and his kingdom that comes first... barely.

"Bah!" he says to Johnathan. "I--I never cared for the man. Let us go. Now." He tries to subtly grip his fellow cavalier's arm, to restrain him from stepping forward and defending Kilmer's spotless honor.

Spoiler
    Show
    Had to remind myself of the cavalier's code of honor, and decided "noble service" included protecting the prince. Because the current situation surely falls under "defense of any charge unto death," thought it's defense of another cavalier instead of oneself.

Problem is, Johnathan isn't aware of the first rule's application here. How much does he trust Throshkar? I know what argument Throsh will make if Johnathan gives him the opportunity, fortunately...

11. - Top - End - #41

Jonathon

Jonathon feels the pain of a pinch-hold on his arm as he hears horrifying words from his friend, the pain pulls his brain back from the verge. His duty to the king appears in direct conflict with his duty to his fellow Cavaliers, and when Throshkar seems to side with these black guards, he remembers the words of a secret to be told.

Small tiny words slip from his mouth, "We wait for Olna just outside of town, just off the road to your home. Then to the manor."

12. - Top - End - #42
    Orc in the Playground

Throshkar duLaBlonc

As the two men reluctantly turn their backs on their fellow cavalier, Throshkar responds in as light a voice as he can muster, "No, no, home first -- let the woman can carry her own shopping bags!" It was uncharacteristically un-gallant of him, but the buried box beneath Arondight's feet suddenly felt painfully unprotected. He wanted to get home as quickly as possible.

The tall man takes just enough time to look over the heads of the crowd at the black knights, gathering what information he can. Does he recognize any of them? What does their dress, their stance, anything tell him that he might use in future battle with these wretches? And why is the crowd so eager to side with them?

In doing this, Throshkar happens to catch Kilmer's eye. He turns his head swiftly, then laughs, ostensibly at Louis, Henri, and the girl.

He has never felt so sick.

Spoiler
    Show
    I don't know which of these apply to the current situation... using Appraise because I figure it'll tell him info about the knights' weapons, armor, and clothing.

Appraise: (d20+3)[23]
    Spot:(d20-1)[7]
    Listen: (d20-1)[10]
    Sense Motive (knights): (d20-1)[7]
    Sense Motive (crowds): (d20-1)[0]

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cyranojoe View Post
    Does he recognize any of them?
    Throshkar realizes that it is almost impossible to tell the difference between the dark knights. He can tell that one off to the side (H9) seems to be higher ranking. He could have been at your homestead earlier today or this could have been a different man.
    What does their dress, their stance, anything tell him that he might use in future battle with these wretches?
    The knights are dressed in darkened field plate armor. They stand confident and ready to fight. You feel that you might be able to overcome one knight by yourself but you are uncertain about a troop of these men. You wonder how these knights could just spring up over night.
    And why is the crowd so eager to side with them?
    The knights give off a powerful presence that seems to captive the crowd. You can hear individuals in the crowd spouting off rumors, one that catches your attention is that the cavaliers are the cause of the poverty of the common man. The crowd is so thick you cannot tell who is telling rumors or who is listening.

You watch as they bring Kilmer into the building, two dark knights guard the door with the common city watch standing outside at attention. Soon the crowd seems to start to dissipate.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Orc in the Playground

Throshkar duLaBlonc

Throshkar pushes his group home as quickly as possible, eager to confirm the safety of the box as well as to unburden himself of his secret to at least one person he trusts.

When they arrive at home, he instructs Louis to keep the girl entertained -- and away from the men -- while he and Johnathan go straight to the stable, ostensibly so Throshkar can feed Arondight. If all is well there, Throshkar takes Johnathan to his room, lock the door, and tells the story of the night's proceedings in hushed tones.

He does not tell Johnathan about how he switched the contents of the box and then buried it; instead, he shows him the box he has under his bed, without opening it. This is not because he distrusts Johnathan, but because he knows if they are captured, it's better if only one of them knows the truth.
    Last edited by Cyranojoe; 2008-08-25 at 10:59 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45

{OOC: How long before Olna reaches the manor? Presuming she picks up Jonathon's mount from where ever it's been stabled in town after their journey and rides to the Manor?}

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

In the stables Throshkar sees that Arondight is startled. His mount has been wounded with a single blade mark upon his leg which is festering as if it is infected even through the wound is fresh. The assailant is gone and the hole containing the box is still secure.

He hears a scream from Lewis and and coming out of the stables Throshkar sees the door to his house kicked in. Entering he finds the contents of drawers and cupboards thrown about. Rushing up stairs he finds the rooms torn apart. He reaches his own room and finds it the worst, the box is there smashed open as if one had smashed the box in anger after finding it empty. The house is empty.

Olna then come to the edge of the property and sees that the door is kicked in. She has the horse(s).
    Last edited by crimson77; 2008-08-25 at 11:15 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47

Olna

Olna dismounts quickly and moves toward the stable to stable the horse. She quickly ties the horse off and moves quietly towards the house. She sees Louis in the lower rooms and takes a sigh of relief.

"Jonathon? Eden?" Olna waits for the men to come downstairs.

"This is not good. The people of the town blame the Cavaliers for the King's death. Some of the Cavaliers have been arrested. We are not safe in town anymore. We should not return unprepared. And..."

Olna looks at Throshkar, "Your wife, Jonathon. She could be at risk. Does she have family that she can visit? I can send her my lady here. Write her a letter instructing your wife to employ her, and insist that she vacate your home."

"Do you agree Throshkar?"

18. - Top - End - #48
    Orc in the Playground

Throshkar duLaBlonc

At the thought of Johnathan's beautiful wife in danger, Throshkar begins to suggest that they all ride there in force, but a look from Olna calms him. To do so would surely draw more attention to her than safe, and internally he is sure the destruction in the home is the handiwork of the black knights.

As Johnathan and Olna take care of the girl's instructions, Throshkar and Louis take care of Arondight's wound. He inspects the damage carefully, attempting to ascertain the type of weapon and the cause of the apparent infection. He leaves Louis to finish caring for the pegasus, and tells him not to leave the immediate grounds of the stable and the house. He also sends Henri to patrol the grounds on a find-and-return hunt; if the dog discovers anything amiss (tracks, blood, etc), he will return to Throshkar and lead him there.

Back at the home, Throshkar blesses the girl before she leaves, then takes Johnathan and Olna to his bedroom, where he tells the story of the night's proceedings in hushed tones. It is not the people of the town who burgled their home, it is the forces of the dark prince, done in the light of day.

He tells the pair about how he switched the contents of the box Kilmer gave him and then hid it, but demurs telling them where it is hidden, for now. This is not because he distrusts them, but because he knows if they are captured, it's better if only one of them knows the truth; he is open about this point.

Spoiler
    Show
    How much damage did Arondight take? Do I need to roll anything to heal him or to inspect the wound?

Henri's hunt: (d20+4)[13]

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

How much damage did Arondight take? Do I need to roll anything to heal him or to inspect the wound?
    Henri cannot get a scent of anything amiss, nor can he find any traces of blood

[Arondight took 8 damage that will not heal in less treated with magic or with special herbs (Heal Check DC 20)] Note: In the future just roll a heal check, I often consult checks and decide how much information to give along and weight it against advancing the story.

Throshkar inspects the wound, the smell brings back flashbacks of battle field wounds that did not heal correctly and after weeks would lead to death. However, it was strange, this wound even through it was fresh smelled like those poor dying solders' wounds did after weeks of being rapped in dirty rags.

As Throshkar examines the wound in his mount he sees something lying in the straw, pieces of a small brass figurine. Picking it up he realizes he has seen this object before. Almost instinctively he rubs his fingers against it and like a flash of lightening he remembers where he as seen it. Kilmer kept this on a necklace around his neck and would rub it before a battle for luck. He feels a cold shiver run down his neck as he realizes that finding this was not luck but a part of someones plan.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

A child come running up to Olna, his dirt encrusted hand holds an envelope which he promptly thrusts into her hand. " 'ere ya go 'iss, a man told me to bring it to ya." The child waits impatiently as if waiting for some sort of payment.

Olna
    Your fingers tremble as you see the stamp upon the outside, it is one of your trusted members of your social network. You open the letter and read it...

Dearest Mistress,
    How I have longed for you, to kiss your tender lips, to hold you in my arms....
    You almost chuckle at the words printed upon the page. It was hard to think of Andy writing these words to any women, since they were never objects of his obsession. Realizing there is a hidden message on the page, you quickly start a small fire in the common room of your home. Holding the page up to the flame the message becomes clear.

Mistress,
    I am sorry to reach you with an improper courier, but it times like this, it is better to be safe than sorry. My spies have told me that your home has been ransacked by a cloaked man, but the object of his obsession has not been found. Your friends are in danger, but it is thought that Kilmer has played the members of your household by breaking in and leaving evidence. Thus, your friends only need to fear that they are guild members, not men helping covering up treason to the king. It would be wise of your men in arms to lay low, but good luck convincing them of this. Be wise in your....
    The message ends abruptly as if the writer was interrupted.

21. - Top - End - #51

Olna

Olna offers the child a couple of silvers for his work, and asks that the child wait a moment in case there was a reply.

She reads all of the letter and folds it neatly placing it inside of her shirt and returns to the boy outside. She hands the child a gold coin and asks him to relay a message. She received his letter and thanks him for his complements and states that she will not be able to visit him for a couple of days at the very least.

Once the boy is gone she reunites everyone to relay the message given to her by her friend. Once (nearly) everything is out on the table, she tries to recall what she knows about the young 'missing' prince. If Throshkar cannot heal the wound in Arondight's leg, she will tend to it.

Spoiler
    Show

Bardic Knowledge +12, History +7, Local +7, Nobility and Royalty +7
    heal - (1d20+8)[24]
    If necessary cast Cure light Wounds
    CLW - (1d8+5)[10]

Olna was not made to be a primary healer, if she needs to be, I'd light to change the spells she knows, if that's okay. Cure Light Wounds is her only cure wounds spell.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Orc in the Playground

Throshkar duLaBlonc

Throshkar tries to keep Olna out of the discussions, unsure of whether the young socialite can handle the dark secrets of which he's learned -- or whether she can even be trusted -- but Johnathan insists on including her. Throshkar tells the two of them about Kilmer's brass symbol, and finally explains what he learned from the merchant regarding where the young prince has gone, and the mission entrusted to him by Kilmer.

"This was the only reason why I let those cowardly knights carry our good Kilmer away," Throshkar explains to Johnathan. "We must -- we must find the prince, and return with him to restore Kilmer's good name, and the good name of the Cavaliers."

"I have not yet told you where the box is, but I am concerned that if we leave it behind as we seek the prince, the blackguard who ransacked our home will be left undeterred, and will eventually find it. Considering their surprising rise to power, we cannot be sure they won't be able to act with impunity and scour even my hiding place, even on a nobleman's property such as this."

"Frankly, I trust no one but myself right now. Even that note you've received, dear Olna, I mistrust that its sender may not be true, or that it may not even be from him in the first place."

Throshkar hangs his head in thought. Louis can be heard down below, piling up broken pieces of wood and putting away what has not been destroyed.

"And if we are waylaid on our mission to the prince, the box could be taken from us by force. What should we do?"

The cavalier also explains to Olna the wound to Arondight's leg; she tends to it most effectively while the three of them consider their options.
    Last edited by Cyranojoe; 2008-08-26 at 09:29 AM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

Olna
    from what you know of the young princes disappearence, he left for the windy gap over a month ago. his plan was to meet up with some young nobles in search of fame and glory. However, it is unknown what their plan is after the windy gap.

[sorry for the short post, I had a quick break before a meeting and posting from my cell phone.]

24. - Top - End - #54

Olna

"We should not get waylaid on our mission to find the prince, obviously." Olna smiles at her statement.

"First, we need to obscure from magic whatever items were in that box. I can do this, but only for a limited time and limited number of items. It should be sufficient to get us out of town. The information that I have is that the princes left..." Olna coughs a bit, "Oh excuse me." While she finds a pieces of paper and something to write with, jots down "The windy gap" on it and shows it to Throshkar and Johnathon, she continues, "Sorry, he left for Lake Greenhorn. A month ago. We might be able to find more information on him there."

Spoiler
    Show

Bluff +17
    I'd like to replace "X" with a town, or forest, or something that if one were travelling from this town to, you'd leave by the same way you would for the windy gap.

Knowledge (arcana) to know how to obscure an object from detection mundanly (i.e., I know a lead lined box should do, but does Olna?)
    Last edited by oliana0; 2008-08-26 at 05:27 PM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Orc in the Playground

Throshkar duLaBlonc

Happy to have action to take, Throshkar agrees they should go to the Windy Gap, and as soon as possible. Should he bring Louis, he muses... it would be a good experience for him, and he might be safer under their supervision than at home, as the squire of a cavalier. He calls the boy from downstairs, and instructs him they are going on a training quest -- he is to pack up all of Throshkar's tournament gear, and a reasonable amount of food for three adults, their animals, and Louis. He and Johnathan will replace/repair the door before they leave.

"If only I could replace my tournament armor that was destroyed at the last Midsummer's Royale," he pouts. "Father would not lend me the spare change I needed to finish payment, so it's still at the armorer's, just sitting in the back -- the silver filigree's surely gotten tarnished by now!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Throshkar will take some convincing that Olna's magical means will truly protect the objects in the box. And do you agree we should bring Louis? I'm also fishing to see if you're willing to buy me that half-plate armor on my wish list... ;) No worries if not, of course! Mostly just character development here.

Does Johnathan and Olna have their necessary equipment at the estate, or do we need to pick that stuff up on the way out of town?

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

Olna
    Bluff +17
    I'd like to replace "X" with a town, or forest, or something that if one were travelling from this town to, you'd leave by the same way you would for the windy gap.
    There is Lake Greenhorn on the way to the Windy Gap. The windy gap is a mountain pass to the north with a town from which people leave to enter the windy gap by the same name.
    Knowledge (arcana) to know how to obscure an object from detection mundanly (i.e., I know a lead lined box should do, but does Olna?)
    Olna knows that a lead box blessed by a priest will shield the contents of the box from those who try to find it. However, she also knows that a stronger mage will be able to get past this simple trick.

Throshkar duLaBlonc
    Does Johnathan and Olna have their necessary equipment at the estate, or do we need to pick that stuff up on the way out of town?[/spoiler]
    Anything that is on Olna and Jonathon's character sheets is with them at the estate.

27. - Top - End - #57

Olna

"Trust me, Eden, the box will be safer with us protected under magic than wherever it is stashed right now when we leave."

Spoiler
    Show

I will roll a Diplomacy check if you want. With 1d20+26 most random people on the street would agree with Olna.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Orc in the Playground

Throshkar duLaBlonc

"I appreciate your opinion, young woman," Throshkar says, "but I have never trusted magics for my own defense; I am not confident in its ability to protect something so vital as this. Magic may break magic, may even steal these items from us without our knowledge -- but no magic can break my arms or my strength."

Spoiler
    Show
    Like I said, Throshkar will take some convincing. Saying "I know so" is not going to persuade anybody, nor is the opinion of strangers. Explaining what mages can do and why your strategy will defeat mages would probably help; you might also ask Throshkar if, say, Henri could find the box where it's located now. That's a 1-2 punch that should work on him. ;)

That said, how are we going to find a priest that we can trust? Oh... right... d20+26!!! (Why don't I have anything near that good in my skills? Pout, pout... )

Heh, my cash stash is looking less thin after all...

And do you agree we should bring Louis?

Crimson: Does Olna's 24 heal roll take care of Arondight, or did she need to use her spell?

29. - Top - End - #59

Olna

"You know little in the ways of magic, Eden. If anything in the box is magical, the lowliest mage's apprentice can find it with the simplest of spells if they are within sixty feet. If any item is know to the person looking for it only a slightly more complicated spell can detect it from a much greater distance. Leaving it here is not an option."

"Adding a spell can only make things hard for someone using magic to track the box from a distance, and at very little difficulty to us."

"And, please, try not to underestimate my value or act as though you are in charge of me."

Spoiler
    Show

By saying that most random strangers would agree with Olna I was saying that her words are far more believable that pretty much anyone you've ever met.

Both of the spells described are on the Bard's spell list, though neither are on Olna's. I can't believe I didn't add Detect Magic to her list.

Bringing Louis is up to you.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

The wound on Throshkar will now heal naturally (given a few days). However, if you want it healed now it the spell will have to be cast upon it.

[I know Throshkar is having trouble with figuring out if he should bring Lewis or not. Knights often will bring their squires into battle situations to have them deliver lances to their lords during battle. Additionally, Lewis would be the one helping him into armor each day. Jonathon also can have a squire as well. ]