New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Dark Lord [Chapter 1] A New Beginning

Regis

Throshkar, let us rest here for a few hours at least. The warmth will all ow the boy and the horses to regain some strength to better drive on into the dark and dangerous night. These mountain paths are treacherous during a summer day, at night during the snows it will be much worse. We are wet, cold and tired. Let me call some minor magics to warm us, then if you still decide that we need to push forward we can do so with renewed strength of body and spirit. The cleric says calmingly, trying to keep the cavalier from rushing off into the deadly maw of carelessness. He hands the book to Olna with a shrug.

Regis steps back and begins chanting a low tone while grasping his holy symbol, his eyes close and a dome of warmth spreads from his body. The winds stop howling around the hut and the fire seems to warm a little better. Opening his eyes for a moment he looks to the fire and goes over to assist the boy in making themselves warm.
    Excellent Avatar of Uri by Retun of Lanky (Aka Lanky Bugger)

2. - Top - End - #182
    Barbarian in the Playground

Olna

"Considering the dwindling light, I don't think we should head out tonight."
    I'm not dead. I am also not a walrus.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Orc in the Playground

Throshkar deLaBlanche

Throshkar throws his arms into the air. "Bah! Cavaliers hold no fear of the cold. You act as though there's a dragon up there or something!" He chuckles, then tousles Louis' hair. "I'll make a cavalier of you yet, whether these mother hens will it or no. But, 'tis all one. If the prince be alive now, he most like will be alive tomorrow. We should push forward faster in the morn, though."

Watching Regis summon his divine powers, Throshkar smiles. "I mean you no offense, to be sure, but I ask that you keep your healing and such between yourself and the others, if you don't mind. Much as I appreciated your casting aside the poisons within me, I prefer to keep my strength my own." Throshkar nods and thanks the stout man warmly for understanding his position.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

The wind and the snow scream around the structure, but you are warm within its bounds. You find yourself quicky asleep and soon the sun is rising on the horizon. after a quick breakfast you are on your way towards the dragons lair. By midafternoon you find the two caves in the cliff. there is one ground level and another much higher up. the one on the ground is shallow but will shelter the horses from the wind. Lewis seems fearful, but it is hard to say if he fears the dragon or staying in the cave with the horses more.
    I am posting from my IPhone 90% of the time. Please forgive any spellcheck errors.
    Notice: All events written about or discussed on this site are fictional and fantasy/science fiction based.They are for entertainment purposes only within a fantasy/science fiction game and any relationship to the real world (events, individuals, situations, etc) are unintended and coincidental.

5. - Top - End - #185

Regis
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyranojoe View Post
    Watching Regis summon his divine powers, Throshkar smiles. "I mean you no offense, to be sure, but I ask that you keep your healing and such between yourself and the others, if you don't mind. Much as I appreciated your casting aside the poisons within me, I prefer to keep my strength my own." Throshkar nods and thanks the stout man warmly for understanding his position.
    If you want it to be that way, that's fine. Understand that I will not let you die if I can help it. The good lord wants us to live full and happy lives and has given the power to those like me to assist that will. I understand your need to keep your strength, but I'll not let you bleed out when a tiny spark of divine might can keep that from happening.

But you can take that up with me after it happens, if it happens. For now let us enjoy the warmth and quietude of the cabin.
    Regis slides over to a side wall and closes his eyes, letting the sounds of the weather and the night carry him to sleep.
    --------------
    Quote Originally Posted by crimson77 View Post
    The wind and the snow scream around the structure, but you are warm within its bounds. You find yourself quicky asleep and soon the sun is rising on the horizon. after a quick breakfast you are on your way towards the dragons lair. By midafternoon you find the two caves in the cliff. there is one ground level and another much higher up. the one on the ground is shallow but will shelter the horses from the wind. Lewis seems fearful, but it is hard to say if he fears the dragon or staying in the cave with the horses more.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Regis will swap a spell for Wall of Stone, and an additional Endure Elements. I'll fix that tonight

C'mere boy, with yer master's permission I'd like to keep ya a little better protected. Regis looks to Throshkar for a reaction. If Throshkar allows it Regis passes his hands over the boy and a light glow suffuses him for a moment, warming him. That'll keep you warm for a full turn of the sun, if you are deep in a cave, those outside can see the fire within. If you keep no fire and light to a minimum you can watch the entrance for danger much better. With this you can be warm through the day, and not need a fire. Be safe, the good god will keep you well.

Outside-
    Looks like an interesting climb, give me one end of the rope and I'll move up the mountain securing it so you can climb as needed. I will follow, to catch anyone who slips. With that he steps back and grasping his holy symbol, concentrates whispering and passing his hand. His feet lift off the ground and he floats there ready to go.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Endure Elements on the boy.
    Casting Overland Flight on himself, 10 hour duration, fly speed of 30, can hustle
    Last edited by Greyen; 2008-10-10 at 01:28 AM.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Orc in the Playground

Throshkar deLaBlanche

Throshkar smiles genuinely at Regis' response to his request. "Thank you. I have no more desire to die early than you, I'm sure, good Regis. I just hold myself to certain levels of honor, and that includes standing on my own feet and not that of another. After the battle is over, I will be more amenable to receiving your gifts, but amidst the glory and the gore -- well, I hope to achieve glory by my own hand." He shrugs. He does not seem especially passionate about the matter, but it clearly is an issue of honor for him.

Throshkar okays the bestowing of warmth to his squire. The cavalier brightens at the thought of a fire:"Ha! Would that I could wear a blessed fire about me in battle -- come to me, dragon, it would say! I am thy enemy and thy doom! Ha!!" Louis squirms at the thought, but the warmth is so comforting that he smiles nevertheless. Henri shoves his cold hand into Louis' warm hand, and then presses his body against the boy insistently.

As the party gathers their climbing gear, Louis' eyes sparkle. He has a knack for climbing, or at least a great interest in it. He will join the party, even leading the way during the climb at times.

"Excellent," Throshkar says as Regis takes to the air. "Do you all think Arondight may follow, or shall we leave him behind, to guard the horses?"
    Last edited by Cyranojoe; 2008-10-10 at 01:34 PM.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

[ooc]Who is staying in rhe cave and who is going to climb up the clift into the higher cavern?
    [/ooc]
    I am posting from my IPhone 90% of the time. Please forgive any spellcheck errors.
    Notice: All events written about or discussed on this site are fictional and fantasy/science fiction based.They are for entertainment purposes only within a fantasy/science fiction game and any relationship to the real world (events, individuals, situations, etc) are unintended and coincidental.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

[ooc: I am going to go a head an update]

You leave behind the horses and the dog under the care of the pegasus and start your climb up the cliff. Removing most of your armor you take turns climbing up higher and hammering in pins to keep yourself from falling. You have a couple of close calls during your ascent but soon all of your party is at the higher cave entrance. The cave curls back as far as your eyes can see in the now dusk sun. The opening is around 15 feet wide. You can tell others have come here before from some trash and old bones. There seems to be nothing that can clue you into who was here before. Lewis shivers in fear as the wind makes ghostly noises as it blows past the cave opening.

I need to know:
    -Who has climbed up.
    -Who is left behind.
    -What equipment did you leave behind
    -Do you camp here for the night or farther in? It is around dusk now but you could travel for a few more hours.

9. - Top - End - #189

Regis

Regis lands lightly and stretches his back. Twisting in the wind he looks into the cave and at the others No doubt the dragon, if it lives, already knows we are here. Do we camp or go deeper?

10. - Top - End - #190

Olna

Olna pulls herself up the last bit, stands up and dusts herself off. She looks around at the view and the cold cave before them and says, "If we are going on, let's go on. Does anyone have a source of light?"

11. - Top - End - #191

Regis

Regis reaches back into his backpack and draws out a tin rod, one end seems to be burning with magical flame. Light, I got light.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Orc in the Playground

Throshkar deLaBlanche

Throshkar takes a fine cotton cloth from Louis and carefully cleans his armor with one hand as the group heads into the caves; he grips his bastard sword in the other. Though Regis carries their light source, the cavalier will tend to take the lead (especially in narrow passages) or drop back to walk exactly beside the cleric.

Louis follows his master carefully, his arms full of equipment and gear. He will attempt to whistle a familiar peasant's drinking tune until Throshkar casually asks him if he's trying to call the dragon out to eat them.
    Last edited by Cyranojoe; 2008-10-14 at 04:19 PM.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ogre in the Playground

[MAP]
    Spoiler
    Show

You carefully walk down what must have been a lava vent thousands of years prior. The floor is well worn, which bothers you not knowing what types of creatures have used this very area. The lava tunnel is around 15 feet wide with a ceiling that usually runs about 15 feet high as well. You see several small cracks in the wall that seem to cross into other passageways. There are times you hear movement like creatures moving around. However, you do not see anything and if you stop so does the sound. You cannot tell the location of the sound or even if it is anything more than an echo in the tunnel. After several hours of walking you come to an open area and you finally give into Lewis's desires for a rest stop. It seems that this area has been used by another adventurer previously. You find a small fire pit that has been dead for days and a stale hunk of bread.

[OOC Grayen you are Y11.]
    Last edited by crimson77; 2008-10-15 at 05:20 PM.

14. - Top - End - #194

Spoiler
    Show

Yeah, I can't tell enough detail on those figures to tell which is which. Also what's in X6?

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by oliana0 View Post
    Yeah, I can't tell enough detail on those figures to tell which is which. Also what's in X6?
    X6 is some trash/bones - has not been investigated yet.
    Y11 Grayen
    V10 Throshkar
    Y8 Lewis
    X10 Olna
    W12 Jonathon

There is also some large rocks scattered around. Additionally, one could see a little farther past the flames depending on their monitor.

16. - Top - End - #196

Regis

Regis walks toward the center of the room before noticing the pile of bones and trash. He drops his pack on the ground and walks over to the pile to investigate.

(OOC- Any rolls needed to poke through the pile?)

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground

Looking over the pile of bones and trash you notice that it is likely that this pile was not made by accident. Many of the bones are from animals and most likely hunks of dried meat at one time. There area a few old bottles, strips of cloth, a worn copper piece, and a dwarvin skull. The skull seems to be old and weathered. Nothing much strikes you in this pile of junk.

[ooc: you can always roll and sometimes you might find something else with a good search or spot roll]

18. - Top - End - #198

Olna

"What I wouldn't give to have Henri up here to pick up a scent."

"Further in or camp here?"

19. - Top - End - #199
    Orc in the Playground

Throshkar deLaBlanche

"Ha! Henri doesn't like caves, to be truthful -- if he'd even managed the climb, I think he'd be shivering in the corner right now, poor mutt. Much like Louis, in fact..."

Throshkar strides purposefully into the room. "I do not fear to continue. Regis, what see you there? Are those old bottles of wine, perhaps?" he says with a grin.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

Regis smells the bottles, it seems they were once filled with alcohol. However, you do not see anything else of interest in this little area.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Orc in the Playground

Throshkar deLaBlanche

Throshkar draws his sword again and moves deeper into the space.

"Those of you interested in poking about for secret entrances are welcome to stay and do so -- I go on ahead."

Louis hangs back with Regis and the light.
    "Only he who attempts the absurd is capable of achieving the impossible." --Miguel de Unamuno

Current GiantITP game: The Dark Lord (Chapter 3)
    Current character: Throshkar deLaBlanche - Cavalier, Level 12

Spoiler
    Show
    My avatar is Grojimar Roughplow, Human Ranger (Level 1). Terrific artwork by vomit_bunny! (Full-size image is here.)

My Player Registration for PBP -- includes current characters and games.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

Up a head a little ways you can tell there seems to be another passageway that intersects with this one. The other passageway seems to run from north to south. You can only barely make it out in the dim torchlight.

23. - Top - End - #203

Regis

Regis shrugs at Louis, Olna and Johnathan. He shoulders his pack and starts to follow the cavalier. Throshkar, you are getting too far off by yourself. Wait for your too tired companions.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Orc in the Playground

Throshkar deLaBlanche

Throshkar shrugs, lowering his voice. "As you will. I'm just looking forward to dragon steaks for dinner tonight!"

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ogre in the Playground

[MAP]
    Spoiler
    Show

You move forward, the ground seems to be sticky with some sort of substance. The substance is dirty brown and you cannot tell what it is, it smells rotten and you can see mold growing in it. Something is starting to not feel right....
    Last edited by crimson77; 2008-10-20 at 01:14 PM.

26. - Top - End - #206

Regis

Regis notices the goop and bends down to examine it for a moment. Better make sure we wipe our feet on the doormat before we track this goo all over the drangon's house. Regis says quietly with a chuckle.

Spoiler
    Show

Lets see what it is.
    In case its blood heal - (1d20+9)[24]
    K Arcana (1d20+3)[16]
    K. Religion (1d20+5)[7]
    K. Planes (1d20+3)[22]
    Just in case k. Geography (1d20+3)[13]
    Spellcraft (1d20+7)[12]

27. - Top - End - #207

Olna

Olna also peers at the goo to investigate it.

Spoiler
    Show

KnowledgeSomething - (1d20+7)[12] (Arcana, Nobility, Local and History) if it's one of those.
    BardicKnowledge - (1d20+12)[31] In case it's random obscurity

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground

[MAP]
    Spoiler
    Show

You look up, the goo seems to be leaking from the ceiling. You stand around trying to place the goo. You feel like you have seen it or smelled it before. Then it hits Olna, she saw it at the carnival last year in a fire show. She begins to speak but before she can get a word out, one of you shuffles and you hear a mechanical click. You feel a rush of warmth that becomes burning hot as the chamber fills with fire. You are blown back towards a wall. Lewis manages to be in a place where he only gets scorched (2 dmg). The center of the tunnel still burns.

Reflex save DC 14 for half damage.
    Fireball - (8d6)[20]

29. - Top - End - #209

Olna

"Fir--" before the words roll out of her mouth, the flames are upon them.

Spoiler
    Show

ReflexOlna - (1d20+8)[19]
    ReflexJohnathon - (1d20+3)[8]

30. - Top - End - #210

Spoiler
    Show
    I just realized I'm missing HP on Regis...whoops. What's the rule for stating those, rolled or average?

If Rolled (9d8)[8][3][2][1][3][8][4][8][6](43) reroll (if allowed (4d8)[3][6][4][8](21)
    Average is 8+40.5+10(con)=58

Regis

Garrr! Regis yelps as the flames rush through blasting him. He pats himself of smoking embers looking at the others he says Ach, my beard! The scorched off my beard. Took me three months to grow that soup catcher! Now, who's hurtin?

Spoiler
    Show

Reflex (1d20+2)[15]