New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Maloria

1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Maloria

As you arrive at the encampment everyone is assembling in front of a large stone overhang where two men stand. There are several thousand men present ranging from all walks of life and the atmosphere is pulsing with excitment and expectation. After most people present have assembled the larger of the two figures raises his hands for silence. He is a very well built man with a commanding presence and it does not take long for the tumultuous noise of the huddled mass to fade into a low drone.

"Many here do not know me yet, so first I will introduce myself. My name is Kiran Gemmel, and I am the King of Glassis. With the recent attacks on the borderlands I find myself in a precarious position. My country is not the largest or most influencial, but I refuse to sit idly by as Maloria is trampled on by these savage beasts. I have called you all here, not to fight for me or your own country but to fight for all of Maloria. Most of you here will be soldiers, facing the brunt of what the enemy has to offer. Unless you have a trade that you think we can make good use of check in at the tables to my left and you will be assigned a company. If you have a trade, check in with the officers over to my right. I want you all to know that we will see Maloria free of this montrous horde and we will make them rue the day that set foot on our lands."

With this a great cheer went up throughout the assembled mass that carried on until after the king disappeared behind the stone pedistal. As you begin to filter towards the tables you hear whispers of the figure standing next to the king. Some say he is the true power behind Glassis' throne, while other claim he controls dark and sinister magics. Most people scoff at either of those claims, but the tales carry all around the assembled soldiers.

As each of you finally reach the table and give the officer there your name, he stares at you as if frozen for what seems like a long time. After this prolonged silence, he snaps back into reality and says, "You need to report to Captain Stoneheart." Before you can ask any questions the officer at the table waves you off in a clear sign of dismissal.
    Last edited by bchilders; 2008-05-14 at 12:16 PM.
    The bunny's scared, the bunny's scared of you...shivering.
    And you've got these f***ing claws and these fangs man And you're looking at your claws and you're looking at your fangs and you're thinking, you're thinking to yourself, I dont know what to do man....I don't know how to kill the bunny With this you don't know how to kill the bunny

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: Maloria

Damiaen Darkraven

In the distance, the crowd can see a large, tan figure riding atop a painted horse, coming into the encampment. The scar across his face gives him a menacing appearance. This is Damiaen Darkraven, son of Lucian and Adrianna Darkraven, of the Pikoni tribe. Pain could be seen on his face as he rode in. Damiaen jumped off of his painted horse near the outer edge of the encampment. You could tell that Damiaen was as of yet, not comfortable with the armor that he wore. He stumbled a little, attempting to get used to the weight distribution of full plate armor.

This armor is so new to me. I hope it doesn't burden me in battle. No matter, I must live up to my father's legacy and become a knight, so that I may avenge my tribe's senseless massacre. I will destroy those f****** orcs who destroyed my life!!!

Anger floods over Damiaen's face and then sorrow. Damiaen looks at his horse and begins to pet him.

"At least I still have you Puuku. You will always be my best friend." Damiaen ties Puuku up to a post and joins the rest of the crowd in the center of the encampment.

After hearing what the king had to say, Damiaen walked over to long line that had accumulated for the soldier table. He looked the rest of these soldiers up and down and was not really all that impressed. I fought bigger guys when I was 12. I will be at the top of this group in no time. After what seemed like an eternity, Damiaen finally got to the front of the line.

"Damiaen Darkraven. I'm here to kill orcs." Damiaen stares at the guy at the table but he doesn't say anything. Finally the soldier snaps out of his gaze and sends Damiaen off to another area. That was weird. He just froze. He was either scared of me or was in awe of my physical presence. Now where is this Captain Stoneheart? Damiaen wanders around in search of the captain, asking people for help along the way.

Spoiler
    Show
    Gather Information:(1d20)[13]
    Last edited by PocketRocket; 2008-05-15 at 11:22 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Scar Thorndrake

Having traveled many leagues to neighboring Glassis, Scar hoped to inform "real" authorities of the orc raiding parties that had suddenly increased in frequency. His people, the Peathoss, were capable of defending themselves against the usual random orc barbarians that wandered in from the Waste; more so, in fact, than most gnomes or other races would believe. As he entered the countryside of Glassis, he shadowed the roads as best he could when foliage such as windbreak trees and shrubs were available. He knew that humans were quicker to shoot at movement in the bushes than to ask questions. In the absense of these, when he was forced to walk on the road in plain sight, he carried himself as calmly as he could.

"Loud, clumsy bipeds," he muttered as he passed a farmer and his sons apparently guiding their oxen to market. Despite saying "howdy" to them as was customary in his country, the humans gawked silently at him with near awe. One of the boys gestured in what could have been a friendly manner and was about to comment when the other elbowed him in the ribs. They passed sullenly after that. Scar wasn't necessarily biased towards any race, or so he told himself, but he was cautious.

Spoiler
    Show

Spot (1d20+6)[9]
    Sense motive (1d20+1)[6]

He preferred the humans and elves that traveled in caravans, sometimes passing through and trading with the Peathoss and other gnome clans, to those who lived their whole lives in cities. You'd think they'd never seen a gnome before...like they look so normal, he thought to himself. While he thought himself rather typical, to human eyes he was anything but average. Appearing to non-gnomes as perhaps a human child in the transformation stage, Scar was slightly tall for his clan with the crown of his head on par with a human male's abdomen. His clothes were shades of browns made from leather, hide and linen. And his only obvious weapon was his bow tied across his back. He had packed his armor and other gear, or concealed it as best he could. His hair and eyes differed greatly than the humans he'd seen: his matted hair was an obvious green color, with some brighter fern green streaks throughout. Orange pupils stared boldly back at the boys hard stares. Following the road, he began to see groups of people marching and decided to investigate.

As he neared a settlement, he followed the mass of men towards a craggy outcropping. Time to really watch myself, or more importantly, the others here, he thought. Having a hard time seeing amidst the throng of taller people, he listened to an obvious speech, catching the important points, as he scanned the crowd meticulously for details. Any details at all would tell him if these people were friend or foe: what professions did he see represented, what weapons and races. Word of the orcs had reached this place, and this leader was amassing an army. Why did these others care to help his clansmen? Were there people that needed to be "dealt" with or "relieved" of anything?

Spoiler
    Show

Spot checks (1d20+6)[13] (1d20+6)[9] (1d20+6)[26]

As the wave of enthusiasm and shouting subsided, he drifted to a line and finally approached a man sitting behind a large book. He replied to the man's question, but grew tense at his queer delay. What's wrong with these people? Is he sick, the fighting hasn't even started! Putting on his most inquisitive and, he hoped, least contemptuous face, he set about to find this man and more information.

Spoiler
    Show

Gather Information (1d20-1)[9] (1d20-1)[14]
    Move Silent (1d20+14)[27] (1d20+14)[19]
    Listen (overhear) (1d20+6)[12] (1d20+6)[13] (1d20+6)[20]

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

What a waste, all those pretty words. While this man stands here glorifying himself, innocents are dying and for what? If there are infidels to kill I want in.

As the half orc moved through the line, he tried to avoid speaking to other soldiers. This was not difficult, as they were not many "soldiers" in this line who had ever seen a battle scarred half orc, much less introduced himself to one.

As he neared the officers, he began to feel an old friend returning. Yes, there was the upset stomach and irritable bowels that he knew so well, caused by talking to strange people. He fought for a moment and was in control again. He spoke his name plainly and followed the officer's directions, hopefully this talking stuff would be kept to a minimum when he found out where to go.

5. - Top - End - #5

WolfInSheepsClothing

In the spacious, but sparse tent Captain Stoneheart sits across the room from the half orc sharpening his axe when a large darkskinned warrior walks into the room.

Post from Cheyne:

Upon walking into the tent, Damiaen first notices the dwarf. He had only seen a few dwarves in his life, most of which had been during his travels to the camp. Damiaen notices the dwarven axe and admires it for a second. He continues to scan the room and sees the half-orc. At this point in his life he had never seen a half-orc before and assumed it was a true orc. Damiaen immediately draws his large sword and directs the tip towards the half-orc.

What are you doing here fowl beast. Any movement and I will make sure you receive all the pain that your kind has caused me and more. What is this beast doing here! This last statement he directs towards the dwarf.
    And you've got these f***ing claws and these fangs man And you're looking at your claws and you're looking at your fangs and you're thinking, you're thinking to yourself, I dont know what to do man....I don't know how to kill the bunny With this you don't know how to kill the bunny

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I wonder what he meant, doesn't do us justice? While lost in this thought, Scar doesn't hear the loud voice from inside the tent. He enters rather jauntily, At least he has heard of us, he practically walked into the edge of a drawn sword. Barely taking in the large form beside him and quickly strafing to the side, Scar bolts for cover and levels his Scorpion blade before him.

Spoiler
    Show

Hide (1d20+18)[26]

Catching his breath he remains motionless. Stupid, getting lazy, I could have sliced my own neck off!, he admonishes himself. With no time to string his bow or retrieve his darts, Scar creeps stealthily to a place where he can observe undetected.

Spoiler
    Show

Move Silently (1d20+14)[22]

7. - Top - End - #7

SwashbucklerGuy

I am a savage, but not a beast. I take it you have suffered by the hand of orcs, (Points to his scarred face, ears and arm) so have I. I have no love for what I am. Now sheath your weapon, I hope your swordsmanship is better than your judgement.

8. - Top - End - #8

WolfInSheepsClothing

After the orc replies the dwarf steps forward with the axe he was sharpening and snatches one off the ground as well. He puts himself in between the newcomer and the half orc and says, "I don't care who you think you are, but marching into my tent and pulling a weapon on one of my men is liable to get you killed." The dwarf glares at the dark skinned human for a few moments before continuing, "Now put up your weapon or I'll put it up for you. All three of you take a seat and I'll explain what you all are here to do." He motions to where the gnome last disapeared as he says this last statement.

OOC: Assuming everyone sits and listens

"My name is Magnum Stoneheart. I'm from the dwarven city of Forge and I came here to help an old friend get his army together. He thought he was doing me a favor by making me an officer but as the higher ups in the army don't take to kindly to the dwarves at the moment, and I can only assume that is why they decided to stick me with you. They assumed by giving me the outcasts it would effectively keep my influence in their army to a minimun. I had high hopes for you, but when you come in here swinging swords before we even set out I'm starting to wonder. That is one strike against you all already, and if you don't shape up I will make sure you are mucking out latrines til this war is over. We head out on are first mission tomorrow. I'll tell you more about it when you report here at dawn. Find a spot in the camp to bed down and get to know one another, you'll be together till this war is out I assume, or you'll be dead," the dwarf adds the last part with a chuckle. "Any questions?"

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Damiaen

After being reprimanded by Captain Stoneheart, Damiaen's eyes fall to the floor in shame. Why was I so hasty? It wouldn't have made sense that an orc would be in this camp. I am just so full of anger right now, it is hard to control myself.

"I apologize for my actions captain. I was not thinking clearly. And to you, orc, I apologize as well. We shall talk of the horrors that have been committed against us later.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Feeling as if the reprimand didn't entirely apply to him, as it was only in self defense he moved at all, Scar stood up and walked around in front of the dwarf. Seeing the orc-man across from him made Scar narrow his eyes slightly, until he was before the massive dwarf. The indignation he had felt turned into both awe and hope that he would be serving with Magnum.

"I'm sure it won't happen again, Captain." All else he was about to blurt out faded from his mind as Stoneheart turned his intense gaze to Scar. Mustering his composure he said to his new companions, "So, orc fighting stories over supper it is," and he strode through the tent to look for a campsite, wondering how he himself could fight beside an orc.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Damiaen

Damiaen falls into an inward spiral as the thoughts of his tribe come rushing back. He turns and mindlessly follows the gnome to find a camping site. Once camp has been found, Damiaen runs to grab Puuku and joins his new "team" for dinner. He feels that he should start the conversation off.

"My name is Damiaen Darkraven of the Pikoni tribe in the far east. I am here to avenge my tribe that was brutally murdered at the hands of the orc and to try and become what my true father was, a knight."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Scar Thorndrake

As the others are situating themselves, and that mammoth horse slowly grinds his oats, Scar unrolls his napsack, tosses his gear on top and looks around. The lanky orc and the barbarian haven't made eye contact since leaving the tent, and the barbarian seems mopey. Suddenly he's introducing himself in a cathartic tone. Scar's thoughts jump; will I really be fighting alongside such large people? Maybe I should keep him talking.

"'ello Daemian. Sounds like you've had it a bit rough, eh, what with them orcs?" Ok, now be calm, don't provoke him because you're nervous. "I'm Scar, but you can call me Thorn. I thought my clan was hit pretty hard, but we're small and agile see, and orcs well, they're pretty dumb so we just lured them into the bogs..." Scar mumbled to a pause as he perceived his words weren't helping the warrior's spirits. He darted his eyes toward the orc-man to see his reaction and swallowed hard. The silence was growing too loud for him. I'd much rather be on solitary patrol back home right now, he thought.

13. - Top - End - #13

SwashbucklerGuy

As the gnome made eye contact with him, Gwarlong decides to break the silence. I understand your desire to speak, but some things are not for those who have yet to prove themselves. If you wish to speak that is your right. It is my right to keep my past to myself. See you at dawn.

Gwarlong walked past the group and found his bunk. How strange it is to be despised by the world for no fault of your own. He slept, but not the restful sleep so many others in camp enjoyed. Gwarlong dreamed of soft hands wiping his tears and soothing his soul... yet this did nothing to ease his sleep. Mother... MOTHER... MOOOTHER! He awoke to find himself on a bedroll in a mercenary camp. Reality cut as quickly as any blade. I hope no one heard that. It is nearly dawn, time to get moving.
    Last edited by muffywo45; 2008-05-20 at 11:22 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14

WolfInSheepsClothing

As you near the captain's tent you see there are a few people waiting outside of the tent. When you are close enough, you notice the captain and three other soldiers. The one next to the captain is a large blonde man who scowls as he sees you all approaching. He is wearing fine armor, maybe a little too polished and has the look of someone with an overblown sense on self-importance.

The captain starts as if to introduce this guest but the soldier quickly interupts, "My name is Major Joseph, and I'm in direct control of this platoon. We're sending out ambassadors to each of the neighboring nations to ask for help - whether through soldiers or supplies. Why they decided to send you, is beyond me. You are heading to Glassis to speak to King Newlon, not the we expect much support from the likes of him. Your orders are to go directy there, plead with the King and head back with whatever aid he gives. Do you think you can handle that?" The last is said with a patronizing sneer and he turns and heads off before anyone can reply.

After he leaves the Captain face registers mild annoyance before responding, "The first rule in the army is you can't choose your higher ups. I've got horses ready and it's time to head out."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Speeding ahead-if you want to post any reply to the previous feel free

The first day of travel is uneventful. The captain tells tales of famous dwarven heros and the magesty of the dwarven stronghold of Forge. As you set up for the night, he assigns four even watches and takes the first shift himself.

As you head down the road on your second day of travel a man stumbles into the road bloody and beaten. As he looks up at you and gasps, "Help..."
    Last edited by bchilders; 2008-05-21 at 10:16 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Scar had not intended on compounding the warrior's pathos, nor in provoking the orc, yet there it was. He wasn't sure what to make of these two strange companions. For a moment, he too thought of becoming morose, but, thinking better of it and the fact that he'd come to bring aid and honor to his people, resigned himself to a good nights sleep. He determined to wake up and start fresh on this journey.

He woke up to the screaming of the orc, and lay motionless. After several minutes, he quietly gathered his gear and headed for Stoneheart's tent.

Spoiler
    Show

Move Silently (1d20+14)[30]

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Scar Thorndrake
    HP 26 / 26
    AC 20

Seeing the beaten man, Scar reacts by instinct. "Call to me if you don't need my eyes on the woods," he calls to Magnum, whipping his bow from his back and rushing laterally to the roadside from where the man came. Climbing the first tree available, he scrabbles up, nocks an arrow, and begins scanning the forest for enemies.

Spoiler
    Show

Climb (1d20+4)[16] (1d20+4)[22]
    Spot (1d20+6)[11] (1d20+6)[19]

OOC: Brandon, I copied and pasted the rolls when I edited because I didn't think it would preserve them.

* post roll count doesn't match database

17. - Top - End - #17

SwashbucklerGuy

Gwarlong looks at the area around the man for a moment to see if this is a trap.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spot [roll0]
    Then slowly moves toward the man.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Damiaen

Upon seeing the hurt old man, Damiaen jumps off of Puuku and rushes to his side. Damiaen asks, "What happened to you old man? Did orcs do this to you?"

19. - Top - End - #19

WolfInSheepsClothing

The man pushes himself up to look at the voices speaking to him. As you get a closer look he has a nasty head wound that is matted with both hair and dirt. He gasps for air and says, "Orcs...and other creatures...attack my village....please help...my wife and daughter...taken." After speaking the man passses out, he's still breathing but he has clearly over exerted himself.

The Captain looks to the two still on the road and says, "What do you say? This could put us several days behind and our orders were to go directly to the King." The captain looks as if sizing you up, waiting for an answer to his question.

Scar:
    Spoiler
    Show
    As you look into the distance you see smoke rising over the tops of the trees. It seems quite a distance off but clearly there is a large amount of smoke

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Damiaen

"Orcs have attacked this man's village. We cannot let that go unpunished. We must go to his village. I know our mission is to go to the king but isn't our first mission to end this evil threat? Do you see anything up in the trees little one?" He directs this last question towards Scar. Listening for an answer, Damiaen picks up the wounded man and places him on Puuku. Damiaen then hops up on Puuku as well and sits uncomfortably in the saddle as it will be a tight fit with both himself and the hurt man.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Scar Thorndrake

Shielding his eyes from the sunlight, Scar sees massive amounts of smoke a ways off in the distance. Repressive a frown at the moniker denoting his size, Scar calls down,"Aye, a great deal of smoke off toward the horizon. Something sizable is burning for sure." Scar points to the man, "What's the story from him?"

22. - Top - End - #22

SwashbucklerGuy

I say we head to the village, if their homes are gone, these people will need aid. Also, they may be able to help us on our mission. They will be able to make a strong plea for help with their stories.

23. - Top - End - #23

WolfInSheepsClothing

Magnum looks at each of you as you speak and says, "Lets head off then. We'll lead the horses on foot through the woods, unless we can find a more suitable path." With that he grabs the reins of his mount and heads into the woods. He stops to let Thorn get down from the tree and pick their way through the woods. The gnome finds a solid path through the woods and you ride for most of the way. Once he has to scurry back up a tree to make sure you are still heading in the right direction.

When you arrive at the village you see that most of it has already burned to the ground. There are few building that remain standing and corpses of men with crude weaponry litter the ground.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Damiaen

Damiaen starts to go around the village, attempting to find survivors. He also looks around to see if he can see where the orcs might have gone.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot:(1d20+2)[22]
    Heal for survivors:(1d20+2)[22]
    Survival for tracks:(1d20+2)[7]

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The stench is nearly unbearable and causes his eyes to water. Yet, Scar slowly and carefully picks his way through the rubble looking for meaningful details and tracks of the perpetrators.

Spoiler
    Show

Spot (1d20+6)[11]
    Spot (1d20+6)[23]
    Track (1d20+9)[17]
    Track (1d20+9)[26]

"Ask the Elder if it's possible anyone is hiding nearby." Scar calls to the warrior.

26. - Top - End - #26

SwashbucklerGuy

Gwarlong quickly finds cover and carefully scans the streets and burning buildings for signs of any trouble. He moves quietly into the city.
    Last edited by muffywo45; 2008-05-23 at 01:13 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27

SwashbucklerGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    HIDE (1d20+7)[26]
    MOVE SILENTLY (1d20+7)[12]
    SPOT (1d20+2)[16]

28. - Top - End - #28

WolfInSheepsClothing

Both Damien and Gwarlong notice that many people were caught in their houses with barely enough time to react to the attack. Through your searches you see no other surivivors, but Scar finds the tracks from the group that left. He would guess there are around 20 soldiers in the raiding party and that they stayed at the village for awhile before leaving. They left several hours ago.

The captain sifts through the ashes of the village and calls out to the group, "Anyone find anything?"

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Damiaen

"All I found were more bodies and no survivors. I see tracks but don't really know if they tell us much. Scar, I saw you looking very closely at the tracks, did they tell you anything?"

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"Aye, Tall One, I would say about 20 of the creatures, heavy build, were here for some time. My instincts tell me they left several hours ago. I found nothing else of value." From the faces of his companions, Scar understands no survivors were found. "How is the old man? Can anyone heal his wounds?" he inquires. Scar remembers that Magnum said he would provide the gear for their journey and wonders if they are prepared for this current situation. Should we pursue these beasts, or continue our mission to procure more help?, he wonders.