New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Dota anyone?

1. - Top - End - #391
    Halfling in the Playground

PirateGuy

Default Re: Dota anyone?

I believe it's called the courier tarrasque build.
    Last edited by mathieumg; 2009-03-05 at 01:33 AM.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Barbarian in the Playground

Isn't HoT a suboptimal item for stacking now? I know the 1% regen doesn't. Not that there's much more to get on Pudge, late-game. AC? Satanic? Radiance?

3. - Top - End - #393
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EndlessWrath View Post
    I played pudge today.
    HoD
    2x bracer
    Bots
    Vanguard
    Heart of Tarrasque x2.

I finished awesomely for playing pudge first time in a year. 6/8/7... we lost.. cause we had 3 leavers... even after they swapped over. their swap was NS. and was the only thing that helped us stand a chance XD

oh well.
    My suggestion for pudge, get him stuff he can do after he's done everything he can. HoD + BoT's + a heart is good enough. You could fill those 3 other item slots with AC, Necro Book, Sheep stick, even Dagon. I've found Pudge is actually amazing with those items rather then stacked health and strength. Because let's face it, pudge will never auto-attack hard. Remember all that pudge really does is gank. When it comes to team battle, all he can do is walk in, hook, and devour. Giving him more team help items makes him more useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Leper_Kahn View Post
    I ragequit more games than most people.

I am welcome in the dota community?
    This community? No clue. The greater community, oh god yes. Rage-quitting just makes games worse. If you can get your whole team to forfeit then that's one thing. But the one thing I hate the most is I get one amazing gank, or I juke a whole team around my tower at 20 health, and then one person rage quits early on. That's just lame.
    Last edited by Poison_Fish; 2009-03-07 at 01:15 PM.

4. - Top - End - #394
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Leper_Kahn View Post
    I ragequit more games than most people.

I am welcome in the dota community?
    As in being a common leaver?

Welcome is not the right word... try "hated" or "despised" (At least in my local gaming community).
    Leavers tend to taint the game at best and outright ruin it at worst.

One of the greatest things about LAN games in the gaming centres is we can see when people leave an official, and ensure they can't participate until they have bettered themselves.

At least the -switch command has reduced the impact a bit.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Behold Nosferatu, the Plant Vampire:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks Kpenguin!

Thanks Serpentine!

Referring to Pop Yule Ashun:
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberRebirth View Post
    evisiron, that is the most awesome character idea I have ever heard of. I'm going to subscribe to this thread and look forward to updates.

5. - Top - End - #395

PirateGuy

I dislike the -switch command very much.

On the other hand, -no is a very good idea.

Switch breaks games (unless done in the first 5 minutes, at which point it is almost better to just remake)

6. - Top - End - #396
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Poison_Fish View Post
    My suggestion for pudge, get him stuff he can do after he's done everything he can. HoD + BoT's + a heart is good enough. You could fill those 3 other item slots with AC, Necro Book, Sheep stick, even Dagon. I've found Pudge is actually amazing with those items rather then stacked health and strength. Because let's face it, pudge will never auto-attack hard. Remember all that pudge really does is gank. When it comes to team battle, all he can do is walk in, hook, and devour. Giving him more team help items makes him more useful.
    I'd like to disagree with that. I've had great experiences at teamplay with pudge, especially at early levels when the rot really makes a difference. There's nothing that stops a chase faster than a pudge with a rot running at their heels, and with any luck, it stops at their swift death. If you ditch the passive skill and buy Hood you can do it with no worries.

7. - Top - End - #397
    Ogre in the Playground

I never said not to get a hood(I meant Hood, not Helm of Dominator in my last post), nor did I ever say to skip Rot as your first skill. Rot should be your first skill. You can even use it to last hit.

Ganking one or two people is nice, but again, by the time a team battle rolls around. Pudge is still just disabling one person. Rotting one person while their running early on is one thing but that's no team battle, I'm talking late game here.

keep in mind. Team battle is different then teamplay. Granted teamplay is part of a team battle.
    Last edited by Poison_Fish; 2009-03-15 at 04:56 AM.

8. - Top - End - #398
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Add me to the list...Kor_rage (GArena).

Rot is also useful to deny yourself, if the situation comes. It also makes the trip to the fountain faster at the begining

(yeah, I am a noob)
    **** Photobucket ; RIP avatars

9. - Top - End - #399
    Titan in the Playground

Add me to the list. I play USEast under the name irengineer. I usually roll with a group of 4-5 in pubie games, so if you see me on Sent, you're in for a hard game! :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

10. - Top - End - #400

PirateGuy

I am looking forward to get into TDA, I've had enough of the leavers in public games. My current gamecount in TDA is 35, but I need to reach 60 by May 16th to get a permanent safelist. I would rather have it before May starts because then final exams will start for me etc. Problem is, my voucher (CynanMachae on these boards) is not always available to play TDA when I am and vice-versa, so games don't pile up as quickly as I would like. I am wondering if someone here is safelisted, has played 40 games or more and would be willing to vouch for me to help me get to 60 games quicker. I never leave games. Meanwhile, I've started playing on Dota-League but it is much easier to get in, there isn't a zero-tolerance policy against leaving and my ping isn't as good (most of the players being in Europe); all resulting in a poorer game quality.

Thank you in advance!

Oh, also, I am looking forward to 6.60 =)
    Last edited by mathieumg; 2009-04-05 at 05:52 PM.

11. - Top - End - #401

Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    Add me to the list. I play USEast under the name irengineer. I usually roll with a group of 4-5 in pubie games, so if you see me on Sent, you're in for a hard game! :P
    Added you to the list. For future reference, I don't get on long anymore (on the forum i mean) so if you want to be added to the list please PM me. i get on long enough to check a few things maybe 3 times a week at best. So pm me, also I'll try to dota more, I've really stopped recently cause of rehearsals and work...so I'll try to be on more. Our days are Wednesdays right?
    "If you can, then do. If you cannot, then find a way so you can."
    Spoiler
    Show

LGBTiTP Supporter
    Swain Avatar by Zefir

12. - Top - End - #402

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by EndlessWrath View Post
    Our days are Wednesdays right?
    Yes, that means tonight :)

13. - Top - End - #403
    Titan in the Playground

Haven't read the entire thread (or even finished the first page...), but I play DotA whenever I can. I'm still experimenting to find my favourite hero, but so far I'm leaning towards Techies, Ursa Warrior and Phantom Lancer, all very different heroes, I know. My strategy with Ursa is to be the suicidal debuff-magnet that allows his allies to come up on the enemy from behind and kill them. I once drew Sheepstick, hex, tree cage, call of the berzerker, impale and mana leak in one charge, allowing my allies to come in and slaughter their debuffers.

I tend to play random anyways though, preferring heroes that "fire and forget" a slew of powers, sorta like Ursa, to others when possible.
    My Homebrew
    Currently DMing: Heroes on a Sea of Swords - IC - OOC - OOC II - OOC III
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

14. - Top - End - #404

Hehe, now thats what I call team play!

My advice for Ursa is to get some stats, Lothars edge for windwalk, and then gank anyone and everyone who is not a tank. Simply windwaliing behind them, slam spell, increase attack rate, ulti if you can and you will tear them apart in less than 2 seconds.
    Extra fun is to be had is you get Vladamirs and a Cranium Basher.

I had that character last night, with crystal maiden and slayer in the other team. In both cases they died before they could use their disable. Good times...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks Kpenguin!

Thanks Serpentine!

evisiron, that is the most awesome character idea I have ever heard of. I'm going to subscribe to this thread and look forward to updates.

15. - Top - End - #405
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by evisiron View Post

My advice for Ursa is to get some stats, Lothars edge for windwalk, and then gank anyone and everyone who is not a tank. Simply windwaliing behind them, slam spell, increase attack rate, ulti if you can and you will tear them apart in less than 2 seconds.

I had that character last night, with crystal maiden and slayer in the other team. In both cases they died before they could use their disable. Good times...
    I usually get:

Wraith Band
    PT: STR
    Vladimir's Offering
    Lothar's Edge
    Butterfly
    Buriza
    (drop WB for) Heart, if it goes that long.

I had invis, but Call can bring you out of that if Axe's got an inkling of where you are. But I had the Nova-ing thing going on. My biggest problem of all was when I'm ganking someone, Furion would always port in and cage, and then the rest of their team would show up and chain debuffs until I died. And my strategy paid off, since our DK got a Rapier and then we won.
    My Homebrew
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

16. - Top - End - #406

Quote Originally Posted by evisiron View Post

Lothars used to be even better for him till Icefrog changed it to damage and speed only.. no agil bonus T.T *sigh*. It is an imperfect universe.

I used to play Ursa a lot (so of course I'm rubbish with him now ) I laned with my buddy every time. Treant + Ursa = win. Invis + ursa's slam gives ursa early chance to hit and kill without having to rely on move speed. Since i never got boots till i went back to town, and i didn't go back to town till 7th or 8th level... it was a helpful strategy. Plus the regen armor helped me out when i DID have to chase..which was rare. I'd end up taking a severe beating from the tower, but just hold fast.)

Really just kinda waiting till Icefrog stops all this 6.59 nonsense. He's had to remake it 4 times now. (6.59, 6.59b, 6.59c, 6.59d) I hope we won't continue to have the need for so many bug fixes. the future looks grim if so
    "If you can, then do. If you cannot, then find a way so you can."
    Spoiler
    Show

LGBTiTP Supporter
    Swain Avatar by Zefir

17. - Top - End - #407

Guessing with those items, you play easy mode then? Or are just really good at slaughter!

As for the .59 stuff, I don't mind. Better that they fix this stuff than leave it until .6. It could be that .6 will be a while, and it feels like they are planning something. Some cool new characters perhaps? *Hopes*
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks Kpenguin!

Thanks Serpentine!

18. - Top - End - #408

PirateGuy

I invite you to read IceFrog's blog at http://www.icefrog.com/

There are many entries regarding the upcoming 6.60 version :)

19. - Top - End - #409

Quote Originally Posted by mathieumg View Post

You sneak down early to peek at your Christmas presents too, don't you?

Thanks for the link.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks Kpenguin!

Thanks Serpentine!

20. - Top - End - #410
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mathieumg View Post

You mean many vague entries, right? :-p

21. - Top - End - #411

PirateGuy

You mean many vague entries, right? :-p
    Better than being out in the blue not knowing anything at all :P

22. - Top - End - #412
    Titan in the Playground

I've taken a liking to playing Rooftrellen recently. Any ideas for item builds? I like to be able to lane competently, but I also like to use Nature's Guise and Root for sneak attacks.

Currently, the items I use are:
    1: Phase Boots
    2: Vladimir's Offering

Ideas for additional items:
    Assault Cuirass
    Battlefury
    Heart of the Tarrasque

Any suggestions? I usually play Easy Mode, since I'm still looking for my favourite hero(es).
    My Homebrew

23. - Top - End - #413
    Ogre in the Playground

My first suggestion.

Do not play easy mode

It makes for very bad habits in actual good games.

That being said, rootfallen is a team fight wrecker and much more a team player. Also I find him pretty boring, but that's just me. A refresher orb + some nulls to have mana to support a double ult is what he usually gets. So, pick up a perseverance to just hang out in a lane or help gank so you can use your other abilities and farm. Then build the refresher from that.

If you make it any further, Boots of Travel to get anywhere on the map to help your team. AC is also a good idea, as is radiance, that way your very presence is destroying the enemy team. The other thing to keep in mind is Tree's base strength is very high, so other strength based items or an orb effect is a good idea.

I'd avoid a vlads on him just because there are a lot of other heroes who tend to require a vlads or are better early vlads carriers. First and foremost what makes a good tree is the refresher.

24. - Top - End - #414

PirateGuy

My first suggestion.

Do not play easy mode

It makes for very bad habits in actual good games.

That being said, rootfallen is a team fight wrecker and much more a team player. Also I find him pretty boring, but that's just me. A refresher orb + some nulls to have mana to support a double ult is what he usually gets. So, pick up a perseverance to just hang out in a lane or help gank so you can use your other abilities and farm. Then build the refresher from that.

If you make it any further, Boots of Travel to get anywhere on the map to help your team. AC is also a good idea, as is radiance, that way your very presence is destroying the enemy team. The other thing to keep in mind is Tree's base strength is very high, so other strength based items or an orb effect is a good idea.

I'd avoid a vlads on him just because there are a lot of other heroes who tend to require a vlads or are better early vlads carriers. First and foremost what makes a good tree is the refresher.
    Well said, +1.

Especially for the easy mode part, do not go there, ever!

25. - Top - End - #415

PirateGuy

This 6.60 is taking forever

26. - Top - End - #416

What you really want Vlad's on is melee agility heroes who have an orb, such as Anti-Mage, Ursa Warrior, Terrorblade (who should be getting Manta Style). They're the ones who have no outrageous HP pools or regen to depend on, can't get lifesteal because of their orbs and who don't really want Bloodstone like many intelligence heroes.

Of course, I hear agility heroes are going out of style. All about the AoE INT guys now. Probably cuts down on the farming or something. I just wish it didn't have to be detrimental to the heroes I'm best with.

Also, Enchantress is outrageous. Charm to jungle with, Nature's Attendants to deal with any harassment or to turn a chase around FAST, Untouchable makes you the ultimate anti-DPS hero, and Impetus is like a level 2 nuke on every single attack. A couple of Nulls, Guinsoos and a Shiva and you're invincible. Well, as long as nobody on the other team has any nukes. Then you're boned.

27. - Top - End - #417

I don't know about you, but the point where you have a Guinsoo and a Shivas usually means its quite late in the game already...

Have you tried using Enigma? Even faster jungling, stronger ganking, stronger damage, better scaling into lategame.

Admittedly he's glass, but he's disgustingly ungankable in the jungle, and Blink+Midnight Pulse+Hole is all he needs to do anyway. He can just die after that.

28. - Top - End - #418

Well, more invincible. You only really need one of them, preferably the Guinsoo.

29. - Top - End - #419
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arang View Post
    What you really want Vlad's on is melee agility heroes who have an orb, such as Anti-Mage, Ursa Warrior, Terrorblade (who should be getting Manta Style). They're the ones who have no outrageous HP pools or regen to depend on, can't get lifesteal because of their orbs and who don't really want Bloodstone like many intelligence heroes.

Of course, I hear agility heroes are going out of style. All about the AoE INT guys now. Probably cuts down on the farming or something. I just wish it didn't have to be detrimental to the heroes I'm best with.

Also, Enchantress is outrageous. Charm to jungle with, Nature's Attendants to deal with any harassment or to turn a chase around FAST, Untouchable makes you the ultimate anti-DPS hero, and Impetus is like a level 2 nuke on every single attack. A couple of Nulls, Guinsoos and a Shiva and you're invincible. Well, as long as nobody on the other team has any nukes. Then you're boned.
    Correction, S&Y + Skadi on TB. Now you slow + your images slow and have the maim. It also gives you health to make your images beefy and worth a whole lot more in pushing lanes and in team fights. This ends up working a lot better then the manta, which in TB's case, I'd only get that if your team needs a purge from the earlier part and doesn't have a better option for one.

Vlads is so-so for him, but I feel that eliminates the point of his swap health ability. Which, if it's a team fight, the life steal becomes less important. You certainly don't need it for farming with him with life drain and images to tank. Though you often do get a basi-ring at the start and jungle him.

Also, while the new enchantress is good, she's pretty simple to just nuke down and focus fire unless you build up health items. Late game I haven't found her so invincible. But she's a good anti-physical DPS.

Personally, my favorite int hero is Tinker. Once he gets his boots of travel, he becomes fairly hard to slow down.
    Last edited by Poison_Fish; 2009-05-22 at 02:43 AM.

30. - Top - End - #420
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

as is radiance
    I never liked Radiance on Treant. And in fact, in one game I played Treant DIED because of Radiance. He was low life and he using his invisible to run away. BUT the heroes chasing him just followed the radiance aura until the invisible died and then killed him.

It was actually really fun.