New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Arena Tournament, Round 45: Little Knife Guy vs. En

GM Kyeudo

As a general rule, count range as you would count movement. En is just far enough away to be a full 3 range increments away.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

Three things:
    first off, I don't know where you end up, LoS is lost as you fall off the cliff.

Second off: you fell off a cliff.

Third off: Magic Missle is 1d4+1. I only have 2 HP left. Stupid ignoring high AC things...

Not even Expeditious Retreat allows you to go around, you're 5' short, assuming you've cast it.

I'll wait for this to get cleared up.
    My sig's Handy Haversack: Need help? Want to see what I've done? Want to see what others have done well? Check it out.

Join the PrC creation contest!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by DonThelonious
    ...But you have never given any bad advice as far as I have seen. Not to mention, unlike some other people I see around here, you actually know what your talking about.

Trust dman11235.

3. - Top - End - #33

High Ref Morbius

That fall is less than 10 feet long, no damage taken, move on.

Explanation: that area is a slope. The middle is 10 feet high but only the I to Q collumns actually have 5 feet or more, his fall was something like a 3 feet fall, no harm done.
    Last edited by Morbius; 2008-09-12 at 05:57 AM.
    "Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck." Portal A. I.

Arena Characters(W-L): (DQs not added)
    Spoiler
    Show

Medals (D&D and otherwise
    Spoiler
    Show

My games

4. - Top - End - #34

So LoS was not lost? Even though the cliff is by your ruling 10' high not far from me? For the future: you should contact the artist of the map and have him/her shade the parts of the cliff areas that are sloped. Right now it looks like the diagonals of D4-F8 and U8-W4 at a 5' width are the slopes.

My turn:

Spoiler
    Show
    move to U8 as a swift action, hiding: (1d20+10)[21]

Attempt to snipe now that I have a full round action to do so in.

attack: (1d20+3)[19] including all modifiers
    damage: (2d6+2)[9]
    crit: (1d20+3)[7] for +2
    hide: (1d20-5)[-3] This is at -20 from my full hide, since movement is not happening while I hide this time.

End turn?

Spoiler
    Show
    HP: 2
    AC: 18 touch: 16 FF: 12
    Buffs: Travel Devotion 1/10
    My sig's Handy Haversack: Need help? Want to see what I've done? Want to see what others have done well? Check it out.

Spoiler
    Show
    ...But you have never given any bad advice as far as I have seen. Not to mention, unlike some other people I see around here, you actually know what your talking about.

Trust dman11235.

5. - Top - End - #35

Quote Originally Posted by dman11235 View Post
    So LoS was not lost? Even though the cliff is by your ruling 10' high not far from me? For the future: you should contact the artist of the map and have him/her shade the parts of the cliff areas that are sloped. Right now it looks like the diagonals of D4-F8 and U8-W4 at a 5' width are the slopes.
    High Ref Morbius

Unless I am mistaken, it was ruled by GM Kyuedo or by the artist itself that the entire slope from the north and south areas of the arena are gradual, so I guessed that each 5 feet square towards the certer is roughtly 1 feet up/down until the M-N collumns that are 10 feet high
    "Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck." Portal A. I.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

My games

6. - Top - End - #36

Well, the map states that the gradual slopes don't interfere with movement. It doesn't say where the slopes are though. It would be helpful to have that put on the map. For the record, I think +2'/5' would be a bit better. Gives a plateau at the top. Plateaus are fun.

EDIT: I need to know if LoS was lost (total cover) at the end of En's turn. I made my turn under the assumption that yes, it was lost. And since the cliff is 5' high on the outside side of that line, it looks like it was.
    Last edited by dman11235; 2008-09-13 at 04:28 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Trust dman11235.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

GM Kyeudo

The slopes are 1.25 ft up per 5 ft over. This puts the 5 ft mark at the I & R columns. As for the LoS issues, I think one or both of you may have short wall cover, but I can't entirely figure out your locations, so I'll leave that to someone who's been following this match to sort out.

8. - Top - End - #38

I was in O8, and En went from P2 off the edge to V2 (though I'm not sure I should know that until I get to U8). The diagonal for that goes through the cliff at P7. Yeah.

As for the slopes: it would be nice to have that somewhere. That's what I've been getting at for a while now. Explicitly stating such.
    Last edited by dman11235; 2008-09-15 at 06:33 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Trust dman11235.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

I agree, dman. I didn't even know that WAS a cliff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thajocoth View Post
    I wonder if, when the comic eventually ends, people on the boards will continue for several years to say that it's not actually over yet...

10. - Top - End - #40
    Bugbear in the Playground

High Ref me

Umm, quickly scanning, I think everything is here. You both know your respective locations, even if that's metagame knowledge. The height of the cliff can be determined by Kyeudo's formula 1.25' up / 5'. The fall was less than 10' so there's no damage. LoS is not broken unless the ledge is more than 5' high. If it is higher than 5', I can come back and crunch the numbers.

Is there something else needed? (sry, not alot of time right now to read everything)
    <--- Avatar made by bayar

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

GM Kyeudo

Alright, looks like we have LoS reestablished. LKG pops into view at U8 and fires an arrow. The arrow hits regardless of whether LKG attacks from hiding or not, but his damage changes (which he rolled incorrectly in his spoiler).

If this spot check doesn't beat DC21, LKG gets sneak attack damage.
    Spot:(1d20+4)[18]
    Damage:(1d3-1)[0]+(2d6)[9]

EDIT: Looks like En takes 10 damage (1 damage minimum on the weapon dice)
    Last edited by Kyeudo; 2008-09-19 at 11:37 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42

I need to know if LoS was lost as he fell off the cliff (a 1' cliff is still a cliff, no damage was taken, that was settled a long time ago) to finalize my turn. I think it was, since there is an 8.75' wall right in front of me, but I need a ref to sort it out. After that's done, I can end my turn and En can take his turn.

Spoiler
    Show

Trust dman11235.

13. - Top - End - #43

How did you do that Keyudo? I did not see your post until now.

Anyways you forgot about Point Blank Shot. That's where 2d6+2 comes into play. And I have -2 str, so my damage is actually 1d3-2, then +1 PBS, then 2d6 SA.

Spoiler
    Show

Trust dman11235.

14. - Top - End - #44

Quote Originally Posted by dman11235 View Post
    How did you do that Keyudo? I did not see your post until now.

Anyways you forgot about Point Blank Shot. That's where 2d6+2 comes into play. And I have -2 str, so my damage is actually 1d3-2, then +1 PBS, then 2d6 SA.
    High Ref Morbius

But doesn't PBS damage makes part of the weapon damage dice?

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

My games

15. - Top - End - #45

I've always played that that passage meant weapon damage+str, and that's it. Everything else will just be a bonus to damage, like Divine Favor, PBS, Weapon Specialization, etc. I don't think there is a RAW on this, it's only an interpretation call. My interpretation comes from this passage: Minimum Damage

If penalties reduce the damage result to less than 1, a hit still deals 1 point of damage.
    And the fact that that section talks only of weapon damage. And for penalties, they all apply, much like penalties work with stacking rules as well.

Though, it really never comes up unless situations like this arise.

I don't know, it seems that the Arena ruling is that all flat bonuses apply before, correct? If so, I did 10 damage, as per Keyudo's extremely ninja-y post at the EXACT TIME AS MINE. Honestly, K, how on earth did you do that? You must be psychic.

Spoiler
    Show

Trust dman11235.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeere, ref ref ref ref ref.
    Heeeeeeeeeeeeeere, ref ref ref ref ref.
    I wonder if, when the comic eventually ends, people on the boards will continue for several years to say that it's not actually over yet...

17. - Top - End - #47

Actually it's been settled. Morbius weighed in. See the post before mine. Then see my post and read all the way through.

Which would mean that it is your turn, and you took 10 damage. You see me because a -3 hide check will not hide me.

Spoiler
    Show

Trust dman11235.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground

GM Kyeudo

How did I do that? I am ninja.

As for the questions of damage, everything that increases damage adds to your attacks damage. You have a 1d3 weapon, have a -2 penalty from Strength, and a +1 to damage from PBS. Thats 1d3-1, with a minimum of 1 damage. The 2d6 is on top of that weapon damage.

Now, it's En's turn, so let's get the show on the road.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

OK, I'm dead.

Good fight, though.

20. - Top - End - #50

High Ref Morbius

Little knife guy is the winner and recieves his prizes

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

My games