New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default [Exalted 2nd Ed] - Extraordinary Wanderings

It's hot this morning, as usual, but at least the sand isn't getting into your eyes. There's still some power left in the glass roads leading to Chiarscuro it seems, though you're still a few days away at least, maybe more. To think that at one point, automated Essence powered vehicles glided along these roads. Well, at least there aren't very many people left who appreciate the loss.

The caravan is more like an extended wagon train designed to transport an incredibly wealthy person. His proper title, apparently, is Syan of the Eastern Spine. This is taken from the series of smelters and mines he owns along the eastern set of mountains along the South. Primarily focused on the metalworking industry, he has left his base of operations to scout out new markets. He seems a decent enough person, however, as he has let you all travel with him for whatever various reasons you would have. He seems rather eccentric though, in that he is prone to mood swings from polite calm to passionate outbursts. Right now he is passionately trying to get one of his servants to stop bothering him.

"Purity, I don't need an umbrella," he says, rather firmly, pushing away a finely constructed personal umbrella colored a delicate light blue and decorated with a fish symbol. Sitting on top of a wagon near the head of the caravan, he does seem a little exposed to the elements.

"The sun," says Purity, holding the umbrella in order to shade him in an equally firm manner,"Your skin will burn if you are not careful." Both are speaking in Flametongue, though Purity seems more formal than Syan, and also has a bit of an accent. While they both use the local tongue, Syan seems more like an Easterner or member of the Realm (being rather pale and willowy), and Purity looks like she is from the North (having the white hair and sharp facial features of that area).

"Purity, please, this is embarrassing. I can take care of myself, if you don't mind, he says, pulling the umbrella out of her hands and setting it down on the wagon. Purity sighs, and returns inside the wagon. A moments pause after she leaves, and he decides to take up the umbrella after all. He calls for the caravan to stop, presumably to get out of the sun. Even with the lingering Essence in the road, he knows the animals will get exhausted if he pushes them too much as the sun rises. Hastily pitched tents and covers are placed by the wagons, giving everyone a chance to rest for a few hours. A few people, those used to traveling in the dark, go straight to sleep. Passengers are a different story though, and a few of them, probably heading back to the Realm, are lounging around, taking naps. Syan is one of the latter, it seems, not letting himself be denied his creature comforts so far from home. For the rest of you, it is a chance to mingle for the moment, or perhaps simply rest.
    Last edited by Rarkasha; 2008-08-28 at 03:41 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [Exalted 2nd Ed] - Extraordinary Wanderings

"This would be much more enjoyable if I could understand a word they spoke." Fei Long smirks, watching the merchant and Purity. He adjust the brim of his wide, ornate hat to block out the sun. Beside him sits a wolf, curled up more like a dog than a beast. "Isn't that right, Rabina?" The wolf snarls, not willing to dignify anyone disturbing her sleep with a response.
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

Homebrew by The Demented One.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Having just returned from a scouting run and reporting Alabaster moves to the wagon master.
    "I require further provisions for my next scouting run. I will collect them an hour after dusk. I will also require that you provide the required weight of rations, rather than giving short measure again."
    GNU Terry Pratchett

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Currently in the guise of a short, stocky southerner with a considerable beard and a shaved head, Tanivelado chuckles when he hears Fei Long's words.
    "Hwell. I wouldn't say you missed anything particularily interesting. The man, Syan, is either short of wits, though i admit i find it unlikely, or manners. That i find less so." He says with a smirk. He is speaking with a thick southerner accent, with a slight aristocratic tinge.

He takes a few steps away from Fei Long, an turns with a wide smile.
    "Now. I'm off to get me a drink of water, lest i die of dehydration. I would advice you do the same."
    And then he walks off, whistling a bit on the way.
    Last edited by Rockbird; 2008-08-29 at 10:37 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

- Well if he likes himself crispy, who are we to deny him the 'pleasure'. - Cynis comments seeing the scene

Turning to returning Alabaster he asks - Found anything out there? Well except more sand obviously...
    Last edited by Malek; 2008-08-29 at 06:36 AM.
    Three are the paths of soul:
    One out - roam across the plain,
    One back - dwell with the tribe and tent,
    One in - turn an enemy's hate.
    -------------------------------------------------------
    They say people do crazy things for love...unfortunately, I'm not in love, and I'm still crazy!

Avatar by CoffeeIncluded. Finally giving credit where due, and it only took me 20 pages of search

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

"Maybe there is something. Maybe there is nothing. Whatever it is the sands will hide it until it is time for it to be seen." Alabaster's tongue slid over the unfamiliar syllables of the Realm language. "I have told them all I saw, they may require saving however. I do not know. Now I must seeks shelter and water."
    Last edited by Evil DM Mark3; 2008-08-29 at 08:12 AM.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Fei Long follows Tanivelado, eager to ease the heat of the desert. As he goes, he tries to strike up a conversation with the exalt. "So Lawgiver, tell me something of your life. I've only known but a few of your kin, and I must confess ignorance of the lives you lead."
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Oh... i'm not sure i can really answer you. It's only recently that i've met others of my kin, and one man alone can hardly speak of the lifes of all his people. But i dare say my life's been rather interesting since i obtained this power. Of course, I've laid low mostly, keeping myself out of the realm's sight. When i've been able to i've helped people out. Finding my footing, if you will. But, i believe things are about to get very interesting when we arrive in Chiaroscuro."
    As he speaks, Tanivelado's face splits in an expectant grin, and he looks up into the sky. His golden eyes reflect the burning light of the sun for a brief moment, before he looks down again.
    "But what of you? I too must admit to be lacking in knowledge of you and yours. Before i met you, i'd not even heard of your kind, save mentions in old stories that i'd never put much store in."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Fei Long grins. "We stay out of the way, just let things happen like they're supposed to. I just happen to be of the school of thought that favors returning the Solar Exalted to power. The Dragonblooded act with treachery and impropriety in their usurpation, and the world would be much better if we could undo their acts of sedition." he says, deftly avoiding any mention of the role of the Sidereals in the Usurpation. "But to speak of me in particular, I am just a diplomat. I would guess the presence of so many Lawgivers unified to a single purpose drew the attention of my superiors, and they thought that you might be in need of a negotiator."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Am i then to understand that the Viziers have not the strength to evict the Dragon-Blooded on their own? Or do all of you not wish it? Granted, if even a tenth of a tenth of the terrestials lies of our long-gone rule hold true then they may not be entirely unfounded in their belief."
    He barks a short, booming laugh.
    "But if i am to judge from myself, i do not think so. And i hardly think that my newfound kin will suddenly burst into vile, maddened tyranny.
    Anyway, have i grasped this correctly; you've been sent here to aid us in whatever task we take upon ourself, with the twin swords of steel and tongue, for the sole reward of our success?"

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Stirring from his place near the edge of the tent, Jade spoke up, as he slid himself closer to the others. "Well, I wouldn't place much faith in what the Dragon Blooded of the Realm say. The Realm is corrupt, weak...inefficient. And there are stories among those who lived in the First Age who remember things differently." He grins at Tanivelado, and shakes his head.

"And if it makes you feel better none of you seem to be monsters to me."

Gazing intently out of the tent's entrance for a moment, he seems somewhat unfocused. He stares up at the sky as if expecting to see something, then seems to snap himself out of it after a few moments.

"It must be awful to be a dog, and unable to sweat in these lands," he says, turning back to look at Fei Long's wolf. "Though I think it will be worse on anyone who attempts to disturb us, if Alabaster is correct about possible trouble."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

"You words resound with truth, friend. And i would indeed not wish it be otherwise. Now, you speak of ancient stories; if you do not mind, i would very much like to hear them one day. I appreciate a good tale, and i seldom find one who knows the words of ancients.
    But now is not the time for stories i believe. I'm going to go get some water for my parched throat, and then i intend to get some sleep, before the night's trek."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

"As for trouble, I would recalling an old saying of my mothers'. *in flametounge* The sands may swallow the mighty, the skilled, the wise and the fool, but only the latter is never spat out again.*in low realm* I always seek to prevent the needs for chewing."
    Last edited by Evil DM Mark3; 2008-08-29 at 12:45 PM.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

Griffon

A gruff large man, as much fat as muscle heaves himself out of the nearby wagon. His skin is white as snow, and he goes shirtless, baring a torso as white, and a whale imprinted on his chest.

Still sweating profusely from the heat, even under the shaded wagon he bears a crossbow hanging loosely at his side.

"It matters not whether what the Dragon Blooded say was true, it matters only that it is true now. Or have you all forgotten our beloved brothers who's polluted influence expands daily?

None shall ever accept that there is good in us while they fear for their lives from our brethren."
    Last edited by Akimbo; 2008-08-29 at 01:57 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

*Flame tongue*"None shall believe the truth whilst the orator is a pedlar of lies. Truth is immaterial. He who tells the tale, shapes the dream. He who shapes the dream turns the world."
    Last edited by Evil DM Mark3; 2008-08-29 at 02:19 PM.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Fei Long takes offense to the Solar's impetuous comments. "There are only a hundred Sidereals in all existence, I might note, and bloody overthrow is not our method." He grins impishly, and says "Now, if we were to overthrow them, I suspect that a few scattered Sidereal agents would be sent out into the world to influence small events, see that certain things are led to the right conclusions. And eventually, we'd lead the right people to the right goals, and they would eventually see to it that the Terrestrials were gone, and we would sit back and sip our teas." He laughs at his show of pomp, "But no, we really couldn't take the Dragonblooded on directly. Now, the Solars were certainly be able to hold their own against them, what with your fantastic power."

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

"Someday you might hear them. Although probably not from me, I'm not much of a storyteller myself. Some of the elders however, they remember them. Makes for a better tale, if you ask me."

He frowns at the mention of chewing and lies. "I do not worry about conflict. If it finds us, then we shall be ready. If not, then there is little to worry about. As for liars...well. Some day their time shall come. After all, the glory of the Sun and Moon cannot be hidden forever. Eventually this age shall end."

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Alabaster makes a dismissive gesture and goes to the closest thing he can get to bed, planning to wake an hour before dusk, eat and then collect provisions for the journey out, muttering his father's favourite observation as he leaves.*flame tongue*Five maidens, one mess.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Tanivelado raises his hands apologetically. "I must apologize if you took offense. That was not my intention, I just wished to know what raw strength you might bring to bear. If a man can't break a boulder with his bare hands, but instead moves it through leverage and knowledge, it does not make him a lesser man.
    And when one strong man is tricked despite his fantastic power, and his ally and brother chooses to stay hidden from the sight of the unjust, working for the cause of justice while recieving no praise, who is the strong one? And who is but a fool?"
    Last edited by Rockbird; 2008-08-29 at 06:23 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

As the sun begins to reach it's zenith, the entire caravan can feel the vibrations. Something is moving beneath the sands. A few guards mill about, looking taken aback. Syan, who actually had a personal couch brought under a tent for him to lay on, gets up and starts walking away from the caravan, apparently towards whatever was heading this way.

In the distance, but getting closer now, you can see a sort of bump in the sand, moving closer now, as if something was tunneling towards you. Syan doesn't look particularly perturbed, and is still holding the umbrella over his head. He waves a couple men over to stand by him.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

"Oh ho, what have we here..." Fei Long asks nervously, drawing his daiklave. He undoes the button of his robe, flipping it open to reveal a jacket reinforced with starmetal underneath. Rabina hops up and comes to his side, her hackles raised. A faint wisp of anima dances in his eyes as the sidereal warily looks out to whatever lies beneath the sand.

22. - Top - End - #22

- That man either knows something I don't or is too stupid to live... - muttered Cynis under his breath seeing Syan's careless approach to coming bump - ... I suspect the later.
    They say people do crazy things for love...unfortunately, I'm not in love, and I'm still crazy!

Avatar by CoffeeIncluded. Finally giving credit where due, and it only took me 20 pages of search

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Alabaster wakes to the shaking. He peers outside and seeing the rise in the sand.

Perhaps, a little care.

He closes his eyes and inside melts away, for an instant his mind seems to be swimming in warm water. He holds his breath for a few seconds and then, lets go...

Use EASILY OVERLOOKED PRESENCE METHOD with personal essence and sneak outside to observe.
    Stealth + Dexterity roll to go unnoticed (only applicable if the charm fails (I hardly see how mind you, these people know me after all, not like I am not supposed to be here), before any stunt I may or may not get etc): 5 successes.

OOC:I will be keeping a running track of my essence at the bottom of posts, like so: P 13/16 Pp 32/32 (38) (P=personal have/total Pp=Peripheral have/total-committed to artefacts (total Peripheral))
    Last edited by Evil DM Mark3; 2008-08-31 at 10:40 AM.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Standing up and stretching languorously, Jade steps outside, squinting in the brighter light. Sauntering over towards Syan, he peers towards the approaching lump, wondering what it is exactly.

He moves to stand a few paces behind Syan and waits expectantly for whatever it is to present itself.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

The rippling sand fades away for a moment, only to be replaced by the lunging head of an Abyssal Battle Snake. Having similarities to both a snake and a centipede in movement, it is mostly a bone construct, using metal parts to link the ribs of the snake together. Standing on the head is woman wearing an elegant black dress, holding a bow, an arrow already nocked. Like most Abyssals, her skin is pale white and drawn, giving her the appearance of a corpse walking. Despite the fine dress she wears, she looks more comfortable with the bow. Probably a former soldier.

Syan begins to say something," I suppose you're wondering how I-" before a blackened steel arrow grazes his cheek. He curses, backpedaling out of the way. Before the next arrow can hit, he has parried it with the tip of the umbrella, small sparks of Essence tinging off it as he does so.

At the same moment, the Battle Snake moved forward, dropping off several undead soldiers as it does so. They look a little worse for the wear, having been dragged through the sand somehow, but whatever powers them is persistent, at least.

Spoiler
    Show
    Guess that's the Join Battle roll time. Hope you don't mind me taking a few artistic liberties with the system now and then.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Banned

Griffon

In the blink of an eye the Fat shirtless man has his crossbow in hand and cocked. He glares with loathing at the Woman in front of him.

He takes aim and fires a hail of bolts, reloading faster then the eye can see.

(Will wait till my action to resolve attacks. Join battle with 5 Successes.)

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

May as well use it now.

Join battle: 6 successes (2 10s, whoot).

Alabaster braces himself for a leap into the fray, focusing his mind on the sound of water dripping. [OCC: Again, waiting for the results to come in before action is resolved.]
    GNU Terry Pratchett

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

With a grunt of effort, Fei Long heaves his reaper daiklave high. "Be not afraid, friends, the stars are auspicious for us!" he shouts.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show

Battle joined with 6 successes.
    Will wait for results to act.
    Last edited by The Demented One; 2008-09-01 at 09:56 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thrice-cursed lowlife creeping underworld scum, to come at an unprepared man in such a way...
    Tanivelado mutters, as he rushes towards a nearby tent.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm going to use Whirlwind Armor-Donning Prana to don my armor in one action as soon as i get to the tent. Not sure if i should be joining battle now or afterwards. Still, i rolled. If i should wait, we'll just use the same roll later

Oh, and: 2 sux for Join Battle

We surpass the impossible and kick reason in the curb, because that's the way of the Dai Gurren-Dan!
    WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK WE ARE!?

30. - Top - End - #30

- Syan will have some explaining to do afterwards. - Cynis grumbled putting the bag with his cat in a safe spot before turning back to coming battle
    - And I need to act more talk less it seems - he whispered seeing almost everyone already in action

Spoiler
    Show
    Join Battle 2... seems my curse of bad rolls strikes back
    Ah, and it would be good to know who is how far from that thing
    Last edited by Malek; 2008-09-01 at 03:48 PM.