New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Aleval Game Thread

"So humble! I admire you, sir knight." he replies to Cyrick with a smile. "Might I know what noble quest the gods would have you fulfill in the north? What verdict are you to deliver there?"

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Absalon

The young man in a weather stained cloak had been gently dozing on the side of the ship when he heard the electrical discharge. He pulled his hood bak to reveal ash blonde hair and blue eyes. He blinked at the sudden light, grabbing an ornately carved walking stick that was resting lightly on his chest and turned to check the scene.

He turned first to Christina, then once he was sure she was safe, surveyed the scene. His eyes settled on the woman with the red hair at the prow, his interest peaked when he heard her voice. He watched with interest as the tattooed man produced an illusion, raising an eyebrow quizzically.

"Dot?"

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

Shrike, lining up for another shot on the illusory skua, pauses as she hears a distantly familar voice speaking, a name she hadn't been called in years...

She looks around and blinks for a minute as her memory goes to work, then she grins.
    Lonnie!

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    Games Won: 5
    Ashna and Brendan dolls by Recaiden
    BR by Dr. Bath

BR's Bag o' Nuts · The Russkijs · Bushrangers explained
    Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

4. - Top - End - #34

MindFlayer

Absalon

The young man makes his way more quickly than his seemly as he rushes to meet the girl with the red hair.

"Dorothy, is that you? It's been so long, let me get a good look at you."

Absalon stands and stares at his old friend, a mixture of emotions are played out in his eyes as long forgotten memories are replayed in his mind.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

Shrike steps forwards to meet him and embraces him, chastely but firmly.
    Too long, my old friend. Far too long...
    After a moment she lets go and steps back.
    I don't go by Dorothy anymore, though. Too many memories...they call me Shrike now.
    Her own eyes are sparkling slightly at seeing her childhood friend, but he might notice there's a bit of the 'thousand-yard stare' there, too.
    I never imagined I'd run across you like this...what brings you way out here anyway?

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    BR by Dr. Bath

Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

6. - Top - End - #36

MindFlayer

Absalon

"Shrike ... that may take some getting used to. I'm here looking after a cleric, Christina."

Absalon turns to indicate his charge, and check that she is OK

"I'll introduce you later. What brings you up north?"

7. - Top - End - #37
    Bugbear in the Playground

Cyrick raises an eyebrow at William's comment. He says with an even tone, "Should humility impress you so, just look to a farmer's fields or a tradesman's shop. There are many humble people whose toil goes unrecognized, whilst praise unending is heaped upon we knights who do nothing more than our duty to the people who keep us fed and clothed.

As for my quest, I do not yet know. I left my homelands in capable hands, and travel northward, likely to help hold the line against the barbarians. The Arch-Paladin's light will surely show me the way to my next task."
    Last edited by Proven_Paradox; 2008-08-30 at 01:21 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

Shrike

I suppose, but there's been a lot of changes since I last saw you...what was that, 10 years ago? 12?
    Shrike takes a deep breath, and sends a wave in Christina's direction when Absalon points her out.
    Well, I'm here looking for work, actually. I've been hearing about the raids and other such problems that have been going on, and thought, hey, maybe somebody will need someone to get someone or something back for them or somesuch...that's kinda my line of work now.

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    BR by Dr. Bath

Homebrew

9. - Top - End - #39
    Orc in the Playground

Sigil -- lost in work -- continues to make the smoking bird fly around the front of the book, now making different geometric designs in the sky. Eventually, he realizes that another volley hadn't zapped past him for a while. He ends the spell with a flourish similar to the real bird's last moments.

"Done already?"

Quote Originally Posted by Fishy View Post
    Smacking your teammate in the face is always a free action.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGirl

Christina

A part of her worried about what the dog had been trained to do or detect, if anything, but she realized it was a small consideration compared to other potential threats she had stared in the face. But her own anxiety even seemed like a pebble to the boulder of uncertainty that caused the blonde lady to stutter. Christina looked confused briefly while the lady was talking. It was too strange a sight to see a fearful paladin. Interestingly, this lady might be more used to the less martial side of her work.

The new assumption piqued Christina's interest more. It was certainly surprising that her male knight in shining armour was apparently a little dim when it came to conversation. No other reason to ignore the man occurred. Of course, she thought, looking is a treat enough in itself. The handsome, travelling knight could always be enjoyed at a distance. The journey had admitted that was true thus far to Christina. But her eyes darkened on mention of the murderers from the north, her mind jabbed away from pleasant thoughts.

They're a horrible menace,” she said sombrely, with a pause. Although she had heard of the raids that had scuttled past the brave, protecting people of the fortress in the North Pass, the issue's severity was uncertain to Christina. It was only evident that her funeral training had a larger likelihood to come into use. But two from the following of Heironeous could thankfully tilt the scales of saved lives in Tern Bay's favour. It also occurred to the cleric of Wee Jas that saying nothing else on the subject wouldn't relieve the already uneasy woman.

Christina smiled genuinely, “Still, whatever your purpose, I'm certain you'll put a lot of people at ease. Hopefully, you might even assure my clerical duties won't be a daily demand.

I wouldn't mind having a few days to shop around,” her eyes brightened at the thought, and her smile became wider still, “I hear Tern Bay has cloaks so wondrous that the Duchess herself swears by them!”
    Last edited by Charm Caster; 2008-09-01 at 08:06 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

Shrike looks around hearing Sigil's question. Hm? Oh yes, sorry, and thanks.

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    BR by Dr. Bath

Homebrew

12. - Top - End - #42
    Pixie in the Playground

Hannah nods as the girl speaks, glad for distracting conversation. When the topic of clerical duties comes up, Hannah finally smiles, just slightly, before it's gone in a flash. "You're a cleric then, Miss, ah...?" She frowns, remembering her manners. "My apologies. My name is Hannah Goodwin, cleric of Heironeous." Her voice is stronger now, without stutter or shakes. "Who do I have the honor of addressing?"
    Also known as "Dani."

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

"I have no doubts in that, my lord. I only so rarely have the blessing of meeting a knight who shares your beliefs." explains William, with a smile.

"I suppose I should not be surprised you are a knight errant, then. Tell me - do you make your journey alone, or are there others aboard this vessel with whom you travel?"

14. - Top - End - #44

"A knight never truly travels alone, but I would guess you mean others of flesh and blood..." He gives a nod over to Hannah and says, "The blond-haired lady and her hound over there travel with me. Hannah is her name." Cyrick seems to notice for the first time the other woman who is speaking with Hannah. Momentarily distracted, he realises he'd yet to introduce himself. "And my name is Cyrick. 'Tis a strange thing, how even on a small ship for a week-long journey, one can find that he knows nothing of his fellow passengers, isn't it?"

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

"Perhaps most just prefer to keep to themselves." replies William, with a shrug. "I myself am not prone to idle conversation - you, however, struck me as someone worth the talking-to." He smiles again. "You may call me Gadsden. Pleasure to make your acquaintance."

16. - Top - End - #46
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGirl

Christina Jacesin, faithful of Wee Jas, and pleased acquaintance of yourself,” she answered amiably in Celestial.

The sweet sounds of the exalted tongue were a rare joy to Christina. Few others ever reliably knew how to speak it in full. Conversing with another cleric was an open invitation to talk in the tongue of benevolent beings in her mind.

Don't worry about the apology; a life spent insulted is only an insult to life. There's lots more productive or fun things to do instead.”

Christina then glanced around curiously. She smiled certainly as she turned back, “Like, say, we could try to get your knightly companion to mention your purpose in Tern Bay? If I ask, we can both get the answer, and it could help you avoid any embarrassment with him later on.”
    Last edited by Charm Caster; 2008-08-30 at 09:26 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Orc in the Playground

"You are most welcome," he says amiably as he realizes that he has barged in on a conversation. Feeling a bit like a fifth wheel, he excuses himself.

"Well... if you need my services again, call for 'Sigil' -- I will enjoy my time as the target much more so than any animal we encounter." He nods with a smile and begins to walk past the two.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

Shrike

I'll keep that in mind, and call me Shrike, everyone does.

Nowadays anyway.

She gives Sigil a nod and slight smile before turning back to Absalon.

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    BR by Dr. Bath

Homebrew

19. - Top - End - #49
    Pixie in the Playground

Hannah is surprised at the opportunity, and for a moment doesn't respond. Then, in Celestial and with a bit of a lighter tone, she says, "That would be helpful, yes. I would appreciate it very much." Though still not smiling, her posture is slightly less tense.
    Also known as "Dani."

20. - Top - End - #50
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGirl

Great. Then lets solve our mystery.”

Turning away, Christina walked to Sir Bladebreaker with a breezy air about herself. It dimly occurred to her that she had hardly any idea how to make the leap from introduction to invisible interrogation, or even how to say hello, despite altogether leaping into the situation.

Gentlemen,” she began in a tone both gentle and demanding; the same manner Christina had always imagined her own goddess might speak in. She then folded her hands in faux offence, eyebrows raised quizzically, her expressions essentially going with whatever impulsive inspiration struck her. As always, she knew that only the responses of those she spoke to would unwittingly tell her if the current inspiration was divine, or dumb.

Hannah and I were wondering something. Why are the two most intriguing men this side of the sea keeping to themselves when we're interested in talking to you?” She glanced coyly at Hannah's holy companion, and then to the red-headed man beside him. “Isn't that oddly unchivalrous of a knight of Heironeous and his fine friend?”

21. - Top - End - #51
    Pixie in the Playground

And Hannah had thought this would be a good idea. She gapes at Christina, unbelieving of the implications the woman had just made. Suddenly speechless, all she can manage to utter in Cyrick's direction is a short stream of "I...I...I..." She's aware she's beat red again and making a total fool of herself, as per usual.
    Also known as "Dani."

22. - Top - End - #52

At the woman's greeting, Cyrick turns with a neutral expression to hear her out. At her last sentence, he raises an eyebrow and frowns. His tone is stern and somewhat angry. "If you wish to have interesting conversation with we 'intriguing men', you choose a strange way to start it. To open by immediately calling our chivalry into question? Truly, do you seek to endear yourself to us or make foes? Your tone suggests the former, but your words suggest the latter."

He gives a glance to his cleric ally, and seeing her mortified so, his expression quickly softens. "Lady Hannah, please calm thyself. This woman's words reflect upon you not at all."

23. - Top - End - #53
    Orc in the Playground

Sigil takes his previous place at the starboard. He continues to amuse himself with watching the ship's wake forming.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

William wasn't sure how to respond to Christina, although he could not help himself from smirking as he observed the bunch around him. He gazed from Cyrick - obviously a serious man - to the rather forward woman - who was no doubt trying to be clever - and finally to the nervous girl on the side - a bit cute in her vulnerability. He watched the scene from a detatched viewpoint; it was almost a work of theatre, in his eyes. As he pondered this, he eventually realized he was expected to have a verbal response.

"Be calm, sir knight. I think her thoughts may sooner be muddled than her words made to insult." He offers a tired smile to Christina. "What about us holds interest, my lady?"
    Last edited by Deepblue706; 2008-09-02 at 04:25 PM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGirl

The exact moment the epiphany struck Christina was unclear. But somewhere, tucked away between the offended tone, and the harsh words, the realization that her diction had been damningly dumb tapped her on the shoulder. She suddenly heard the voice of many an annoyed church superior sternly stating that, despite being trusted at other tasks, she would never again be picked to represent the church diplomatically. That her air-headed attitude had cost her church to break a tentative bond they had struggled to make with another religion. But it had just been a misunderstanding that transmuted itself into a monster, almost like this situation.

Christina had done everything she should have then, from her greetings to her gestures, and discussions progressed pleasingly right until the end. When the opposing diplomat had warmed to her, and they were making small talk, she – accidentally – revealed an unimportant secret. Spoken for the sake of idle gossip, it was completely unrelated to faith. The cleric of Vecna had then become suddenly apathetic to her. He stood from his seat, and said that if Christina couldn't respect small confidences, then her own church couldn't be trusted to prize larger secrets. He left without another word.

It had taken her a year of hard work before that black mark left her record.

Now, looking at the dour man that appeared much older, mightier and taller, Christina felt oddly younger than eighteen, weaker than a baby pixie, and much tinier too. She had even taken a half-step away from the knight. When the haranguing had ended she swallowed nervously, and paused to choose her words as carefully as a deity might pick a champion. Heavily her mind drew on what she had been taught about decorum.

She made sure to look into the knight's eyes, despite that making the task more daunting for her, and only allowed herself to blink twice in slight respite from his gaze. When she could hold his glare she allowed another grinding second of silence to pass to steady her voice. She then spoke apologetically.

I wouldn't doubt, in any serious tone, the code of conduct of one of the Invincible's ilk or his ally. But that was meant to be my point, sir. Tone. My words were meant purely to be besmirched by my actions. As actions are always said to be the stronger of the two, I assumed my intent would be easily noted. I've clearly failed there. But you should know...I meant no ill will or insult unto you, or the one beside you.”

Despite the red-headed man understanding her aim, Christina thought it was best to try to walk the tightrope of being specific for such a serious knight. She continued reluctantly, not sure if she was now saying too much. “I'm not as awless as I've shown myself to be, and I am sorry that I've not made that clear.”

Christina then shifted her gaze then from the knight of Heironeous too the more relaxed man adjacent of him. She regarded him almost dumbly when hearing his question. It then came to her that he was referring to what she said before the misunderstanding, no less than a minute ago.

Well,” she began slowly, her mind whirling to find an answer. “I thought it was interesting that you two . . . have some strong similarities that must actually make you both really different.

I mean, from a distance, you both seemed at ease with yourselves. But whereas I guessed a knight of Heironeous could find certainty of himself through his faith...I could scarcely divine where your own came from. Among a few other questions...that one was pressing my mind.”

Summary for long post and unimportant note:

Spoiler
    Show

The paragraphs roughly go in this order ---

Christina made big diplomacy mistake in the past, and gets a small flashback of it due to the present.

Upset, big, slightly scary paladin guy (Sir Bladebreaker) looks particularly big and slightly scary when upset, up close, but she manages not to flinch too much (basing that on the charisma scores).

She tries to apologize to big, slightly scary paladin guy, and also to not-scary, more discerning, red-headed guy.

She then speaks to not-scary, more discerning, red-headed guy (William).

Random notes for deity names: "the Invincible" is supposed to be another name for Heironeous, according to a book called Deities and Demigods (page 72). That book is where I'll also get extra names/titles for Wee Jas (The Stern Lady, Ruby Sorceress, etc). Just saying so those titles don't seem too random when they pop up in my posts.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

"Hmm?" William is visibly surprised by what Christina has to say. He considers a witty remark, but decides against it. He truly wasn't so bold.

Instead, he carefully smiles, and replies calmly, "Certainty? Of myself? You may describe this good man well, m'lady - but of me, I think you are mistaken."
    Last edited by Deepblue706; 2008-09-02 at 09:30 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57

Cyrick's expression goes from angry to simply confused, tilting his head slightly to the side and raising an eyebrow (again). The harsh tone his voice carried moments ago is gone, a more neutral voice taking its place. "You... seem to presume much at a glance from a distance. I know Sir Gadsden nigh as well as I know you. I know not what he seeks in the north, but mine and Lady Hannah's quest is a simple one: to bring peace and the Arch Paladin's justice to the northern lands. Mayhaps you have seen mystery where there is in truth naught other than the obvious and open?"

28. - Top - End - #58

MindFlayer

Absalon

After a brief catch up with Dot Shrike, Absalon promises to meet up over dinner for a proper conversation and makes his excuses to go and speak with Sigil.

He approaches the heavily tattooed man and stands alongside him on the starboard.

"Excuse my interruption, but I couldn't help but notice your skua. An impressive display - can I ask, are you an illusionist?"

29. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground

Shrike

Smiling at having been reunited with her old friend, Shrike decides to head aft a ways, and pauses, looking up at the rigging.
    Excuse me, she interrrupts a not-particulary-busy-looking member of the crew when he gets close enough to speak to, would you mind showing me how the sails work? I've always had a bit of an interest in sailing...

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    BR by Dr. Bath

Homebrew

30. - Top - End - #60
    Orc in the Playground

"An illusionist? No..." Sigil says with a smile. "I don't create the way illusionists do. I have met a few in my day, though, and I've always admired their work." Sigil's smile grows wider. "I guess I'll take that as a compliment then. Thank you."

"Are you one?"
    Last edited by KingRexII; 2008-09-03 at 10:18 AM.