New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Sparks and Bonfires

So, as the new century dawns, the old European rivalries are coming to the forefront once again. This is an age in which the old empires find themselves vunerable to the strength of younger powers.

Autumn 1900
    Spoiler
    Show

Orders due for Monday, 12:00 noon EST
    Last edited by Zafuel; 2008-08-28 at 05:45 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Sparks and Bonfires

The Caliph of Turkey is proud to announce that the peoples of Bulgaria have asked to join the peoples of Turkey in a union of friendship that will further their political and economic ties. In celebration of this fact, we will be holding a formal ball in Ankara, to which all world leaders will be invited.

Long live the Caliph.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Autumn 1900

Добрый день, господа. Good afternoon, gentlemen. Greetings on behalf of His Excellency Tsar Nicolas II, ruler of the great Russian Empire.

As armies across Europe mobilize, the Motherland, though long a nation devoted to peace, has found it in her best interests to follow suit in order to protect her borders and her status from possible danger. Of course, I think we would all prefer not to be drawn into war with each other, and I think as modern, learned gentlemen you'll all agree.

As such, the Russian Empire is ever ready to receive diplomatic wires or representatives. The Tsar himself has informed me to spare no expense in assuring that you, gentlemen, and your great nations feel safe and secure in such a trying time, so long as you have Mother Russia on your side.

General Ryan Goodmanovich
    Imperial Minister of War
    Last edited by RTGoodman; 2008-08-31 at 02:02 PM.
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

As a representative of the great country of Germany and the Kaiser I would like to signal our intention of having a peaceful Europe.

We are ready to receive any diplomatic envoys that other countries see fit to send us, they will be given board and food of the highest quality.
    Sigatar by Me

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Italy and Austria-Hungary have declared an alliance

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

The Austro-Hungarians remain open to any diplomatic wires.
    The Austro-Hungarians would also like to clarify on the above statement and inform our fellow Europeans that we aren't exactly best buddies (with Europe), but are willing to cooperate to avoid any conflict that would generate lasting repercussions.
    Last edited by Neftren; 2008-08-29 at 12:21 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Great Britain announces its willingness to speak with any nation, near or far.

Spoiler
    Show
    Rules Question: can a fleet in the North Sea or Helgeland Bight move into Denmark or vice versa?
    Folding@Home
    The Diamond Mind (A Tome of Battle prestige class)
    "I just ESP it a half-twist and. . ." Mark Clifton, "Star, Bright"

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

As Turkish, Austro-Hungarian and Russian troops converge on the Balkans, dire warnings of a European war start to appear with more frequency. Even as events in Europe start to spiral towards war, France and Italy have been slow to respond, and their troops sit idle as enemies mobilize around them.

Spring 1901
    Spoiler
    Show

Sorry, no orders recieved for France or Italy.

Orders due for Thursday, 12:00 noon EST
    Last edited by Zafuel; 2008-09-01 at 03:36 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9

La Troisième République The French Third Republic are in private negotiating terms if any is such sought.
    Last edited by drum-n-bass; 2008-09-02 at 05:11 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

The Kaiser of Germany would like to remind certain un-named countries that they will not tolerate threats to their national security. If these threats and attempts at blackmail continue then we will be forced to take the appropriate action.
    Sigatar by Me

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

His Majesty Tsar Nicolas II would like to address the accusations of Mother Russia seeking to make war. Our Imperial Southern Fleet simply responded to Rumania's request to join the might Russian Empire by entering the harbor there and giving a fine exhibition of our military prowess. Certainly there is nothing wrong with that? Indeed, I hear America itself plans such a Great White Fleet in coming years as her Navy seeks to display its naval capabilities. As for the Imperial Northern Fleet, training exercises are a necessity in time such as these when some accuse the Motherland making war. This is simply untrue - the Russian Empire is committed to peace in Europe, as made evident by her movement of armies closer towards their own homes.

The Tsar would, however, remind "certain un-named countries" that unprovoked war on neighboring, peaceful nations is a very uncouth act that is likely to only earn swift retribution.

As always, the Motherland's embassies across Europe are open to diplomats of all nationalities, should nations seek to speak with her on current matters.

Imperial Minister of War

Homebrew:
    Homebrew Compendium

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Italy will move its troops into Piemonte (or however the bloody hell you spell that.) We would like to remind everyone that Italy is open to all nations for negotiation

13. - Top - End - #13

MindFlayer

In order to avert the possibility for misunderstandings, the Caliph of Turkey extends a personal invite to the Great Powers of Europe to meet with him in Bulgaria for a weekend summit, where you will be treated to the finest displays of Balkan culture, before enjoying a small cruise in the Aegean Sea.

May peace rest in all our hearts

the Caliph

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

True to its word, the new Italian government has shaken off the inactivity of the old regime, striking out in a daring attack on Austria-Hungary. Italian troops spilled across the border and into Trieste, seizing important industrial centres in the region.

Germany's advance seems unchecked; in the last few weeks, the Kaiser's troops have pushed the Russians out of Warsaw, adding it to the German Reich. Already, Holland and Denmark are under German hegemony, with promises that Holland will be annexed to Germany. Already, Foreign Minister von Krugerspielen has been nicknamed "Arminius" by newspapers.

The protection of Spain by French forces took nobody by suprise. After a shaky start, the French republican government has kept control of the situation, although who France will support in this conflict is still unknown.

In the Balkans, Russo-Turkish Coalition forces stand off against Austro-Hungarian ones, with no clear signs of what might happen.

Spoiler
    Show

New armies are due for Friday, 12:00 EST.

(OOC: Right, I've just made a few corrections to the map and put it back up. Sorry England, I missed your orders in my PM box.
    If you'd like to accompany your orders with a bit of RP for the commentary, as Germany did, please feel free!)
    Last edited by Zafuel; 2008-09-04 at 03:12 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Ooh, I thought the deadline was 12:00 tonight, not today. Damn.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

(Sorry. I guess I didn't make that clear enough.)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

I've placed Russia and French armies simply by guesswork, since I didn't get any orders as to build.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Oops, sorry. I was gone for a day earlier this week and was a day behind. I was thinking the orders were due TOMORROW at noon. I actually was planning on building an Army in Moscow if you're not opposed to changing it, but if you are I guess St. Pete is fine.

Extra! Extra!

Russian Headlines:
    Russian Forces Make Assault On Scandinavia, Mostly Successful!
    German Hordes Assault Warsaw, Russian Forces Expected to Retaliate!
    Tsar Calls All Able Russian Men to Serve the Motherland, Assembles New Army!

Open letter to the Kaiser of Germany:

Sir, I am greatly dishonored by your inelegant and frankly unprovoked attack on Mother Russia's territory in Poland. This insult will not go unanswered, for the Tsar has authorized me to do whatever the situation demands in the face of such an assault. Should you choose to have your forces return to your own borders, though, this mistake might perhaps be forgiven.

May your beer be warm and your sauerkraut too sour,

Imperial Minister of War

Homebrew:
    Homebrew Compendium

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zafuel View Post
    (Sorry. I guess I didn't make that clear enough.)
    Could we perhaps allow a 12 hour grace period in the event that any nation fails to provide orders?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

(Okay, I'll try that.)

21. - Top - End - #21

MindFlayer

What's the next deadline?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Orders are due Monday 12:00 noon EST I think, so basically very soon.

Open letter to the Tsar of Russia.

Your divine Majesty, Our occupation of Warsaw was a humble move to prove to all countries that Germany will not stand for intimidation and threats from larger powers and neither should any other country in the same situation.

I regret to inform the Tsar that German forces will continue to police the, frankly crime ridden, streets of Warsaw as well as the surrounding area until such a time as Russia withdraws its forces from the Balkans and breaks off Military ties with the noble but misguided Turkish Empire.

I would also regret to inform you that the drink in the German beer halls remains as clear and cool as ever.

Wolfgang von Krugerspielen
    Foreign Minister by rule of the Kaiser of Germany
    Last edited by Exeson; 2008-09-07 at 02:40 PM.
    Sigatar by Me

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

The conflict on the Austrian-Italian border has continued to grind on; reinforcements from General Luigi's Third Army have failed to materialize, and a joint Albanian-Serbian attack has pushed Italian troops out of Trieste.

French protestors demand that the government do something about the line of Royal Navy ships creeping through the Mid-Atlantic, but as yet, no action has been taken. French forces have moved into Portugal, and King Carlos I has expressed his gratitude at being protected against English forces by the French.

In Greece, patriots and die-hards fight a desperate rearguard against invading Turkish troops. The Greek government-in-exile, currently sheltering in Tunisia, has decried the move as "imperialist to the point of inhumanity", but to little real effect.

Decried as "dangerously imperialist" by some, and as "completely off his rocker" by others, Foreign Minister von Krugerspielen has pushed forward German troops to the Russian frontier; a bold series of fortifications and defences have been constructed across Warsaw and East Prussia called the Krugerspielen Line. Krugerspielen promises to "weather the inevitable storm of uncoordinated Russian advances" and to "to uphold the tradition of their fore-fathers or die trying!", even as the Kaiser's advisers start wondering just how stable their foreign minister could be.

Spoiler
    Show

Last edited by Zafuel; 2008-09-10 at 12:23 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

I sent my orders on the 5th. Was your PM box full?

25. - Top - End - #25

MindFlayer

The Caliph of Turkey would like to reassure the Greek people's that the recent movement of Turkish troops into Greece was not "imperialist to the point of inhumanity", but a necessary action to ensure the peace and security of the Balkans.

He is also happy to announce that the thorny question of Cypress has now been solved, and would like to invite the leaders of the world to a soiree in the hills of Cypress, where breathtaking views of the Mediterranean and the finest melons will be freely available.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

(My apologies, I missed your orders. Map updated. Sorry for the mix up.)

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

Alright, I think you made a mistake on the map, then-- Bud - Vie would have bounced with Tri - Vie. A Tri still needs to retreat, and it'll go to Tyrolia (ignore the PM, I wasn't paying that much attention at the time).

Orders coming in a PM shortly

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

When is the next deadline? Friday?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

(OOC: Yes, sorry Neftren. Since your orders were done late by me, I saw an army already in Budapest.)

I'm going to have to slow this down; too few orders are reaching me on time.
    Next orders will resolve Friday, 12:00 EST. I'm going to go for about three moves every two weeks or thereabouts.)
    Last edited by Zafuel; 2008-09-11 at 11:21 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30

BlueKnightGuy

If at any point you need more replacements, let me know - although from what I gather Shish is already on the waiting list too.

Great to see another Diplomacy game out here!
    Ramm in Lords of the Elements
    Russia in The World is Dark

"I do not know what weapons we will use in World War Three, but in World War Four we will use sticks and stones."
    -Albert Einstein