New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default In Service to the Prophet (IC)

You dream of a place, a single grand hall so vast the walls and ceiling disappear into darkness. You cannot move, yet you do not feel the slightest alarm; you are safe. You are, perhaps, even home. As you simply be, you notice five other figures in a circle with you, though you somehow know they never entered it. Like you, they simply are there, and like you they seem to belong. Even as you watch them, you notice that you recognize one of them: among the most famous heroines of the past century, the Lady Hymn, the goddess Ioun's high priestess and Prophet. She turns and smiles at you and your companions before speaking.

Welcome! I am the Prophet Hymn, Ioun's most favored. The Goddess and I have been watching you all, and She has decided to allow me to favor you. You are to be among my agents, my knights, my hands in the wider world, acting freely where I cannot. We have forseen great things from you all, and will lead you to the honors you all rightly deserve."

With this, Hymn raises her left hand and five thin ribbons slither from it through the air to entwine themselves gently around your and your companions' left arms. You feel the ribbon shift slightly, and you feel compelled to look at its end, which points directly towards a shimmering portal in the Prophet's place in the circle.

"First, I ask that you go through this portal to the the temple of the Goddess in Olnetton, then east to Ayana's Fate to recover a... certain object, shall we say?" she laughs, "These enchanted ribbons will guide your path. Simply go the way they point and you shall be safe. When you return, the Goddess shall grant you a portion of Her divine understanding to lead you nearer to your own divinity. Now, I know you have questions, but I suspect that you'd be more comfortable if you asked them before I answered, so please. Speak."

Spoiler
    Show
    A few last things before we begin:
    As I had mentioned in the recruitment thread, I'd like you to put dice rolls in a spoiler to avoid clutter.
    Also, I don't mind OOC chatter, but again put it in a spoiler.
    If anyone in the main 5 doesn't post by tomorrow night, I'll be putting in alternates. If we don't get more than 3 people posting even with that, well... That's bad things.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: In Service to the Prophet (IC)

Talis Holden, Human Fighter

Talis bows his head in reverence. He feels this is only a dream, but there is something odd about it that makes it feel more real... He raises his eyes to meet with Hymns...
    "My lady Hymn... I would be honored to do as you and Ioun will. But I must ask... surely there is someone greater, or more devout than I who is more appropriate for this task..."

He looks at his new companions, then looks down slightly ashamed. "I do not mean to question Her will..."
    Last edited by TwoBitWriter; 2008-08-28 at 11:11 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Seeker, Tiefling Paladin/Warlock

Seeker, too, kneels and bows his head in reverence, listening to Hymn.

"Dream or not, friend, this is surely a sign. This is what I've waited for my whole life, devoting myself entirely," his eyes dart momentarily to the implement hanging from his belt, "to the service of the Goddess and asking her to allow me the opportunity to do her work in the world."

Rising, Seeker reaches with his right hand and examines the ribbon around his arm.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll try out History and Religion checks to see if I've ever heard of such a marvelous thing as these ribbons. (I've never rolled dice before on the forums, though, so here goes!)
    History: (d20+8)[12]
    Religion: (d20+8)[26]

"A truly divine gift, these. What is it you would have us seek, my Lady Hymn?"

Seeker finally takes his eyes off of Hymn and glances around at the others gathered around.
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Erion, Human Warlock

...It can't be a dream... I don't have dreams, only visions in the dark. This is real...

The speaker is next in the circle, a tired looking man. His face is young, but his hair is already gray, and drapes unkempt across his weary blue eyes. He bows deeply, gravely, to Priestess Hymn.

Ioun soothes the dark behind my mind, it would be an honor to repay her in any way I could. I am Erion, though I have no doubt you already know my name. My mastery of the Void and knowledge of the World is yours to command, Prophet. Enlighten us as to what you wish recovered
    Last edited by The_Werebear; 2008-08-28 at 02:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Terraneaux View Post
    Adventurers. Murderous hobos with near-deific power who are both merciless and incredibly competent at personal combat.
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

The Prophet smiles knowingly. Fear not that you are unworthy now; we care more for what you are to become. I have brought you here because Ioun has told me of your futures, and of the fates that will be denied.

You have heard of others who have pledged themselves to Hymn's service, all of whom are known to wear ribbons around their left arm which are rumored to divine the truest path to their goals. Sure enough, as she watches you examine them she speaks again. Those ribbons are items that I learned to make many years ago. In truth, they have a common enchantment on them that makes them jump and whirl. Your sisters played with strings magiked the same way as children. For my servants, though, I have made them dance so that they dance to the beat of prophecy; they will guide you to where you shall go.

What I ask you to seek is a part of an item of great power, Falbatorix's Mechanism. The piece in Ayana's Fate is unique; a handsbreath across, with 4 rods piercing a single black sphere. The other parts are elsewhere, and you shall find them one day, but were you to go now you would perish.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Dumar Menares

Dumar glances at the others, then down at the ribbon. He smiles faintly before focusing on Hymn. He bows low to her before speaking. "It would be an honor to serve you in this task, m'lady, and through you, Ioun."

He clears his throat before continuing. "Perhaps, before we go, you could tell us what it is we are heading in to, so we might plan accordingly?"
    A mind without purpose will walk in dark places. - Gideon Ravenor

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Ayana's Fate is an old castle, built to defend the lands on Etly Penninsula, where the kingdom of Etly once lied. Centuries ago, though, the earth shook and Coldhunt's River was diverted, causing the castle to be abandoned and sunk into a deep swamp. Over the centuries, it has been looted and stripped bare; in the past year, a few orcs had taken residence, but even they found nothing of value beyond a simple roof.

However, you need not worry about orcs. Nine days ago, King Rilial Coldhunt of the elves dispatched a sizable expedition, one hundred and twenty five soldiers under the command of the bladesinger Lord Ealai Bluewood, to Ayana's Fate. Nine died to monsters on the road, six more drowned in the swamps, and two more die as we speak to the orcs. It is these people that you will need to deal with. Be wary, as the elves are cunning and agile warriors, and know that you are prepared to handle what comes to you.

More than this, I cannot tell you. There are other challenges that await, but if you know of them you will surely fail your task if you survive. You will have to battle the elves, but be warned: when they offer surrender, you. must. take. it.
    Hymn sighs and looks sad for a moment before finishing, I wish that I could spare you from what will come, but this is all the information I can safely give you.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Parmenides, Human Wizard

"It is indeed a true honor, to be entrusted with a task by Ioun's most favored. We will not fail you, and will heed you instructions". Parmenides curtsies, then turns to the other: "Let us proceed towards our destiny then, for it had been foretold". Slowly, he surrenders to the pull of the ribbon, and let it guide him to the shimmering portal.

In his mind, many thoughts compete for dominance and questions abound, but he feels content for now. She did say the Goddess will grant us a portion of Her divine understanding later. That would be something... I wonder if the Lady Hymn will let me assemble Falbatorix's Mechanism. I can't wait to see what will happen next.

Spoiler
    Show
    Arcana check to remember something about this 'Falbatorix's Mechanism'.
    Arcana: [roll]1d20+11[/roll]

Edit: Why can't I get my die rolls to work?
    NecroRebel, would you so kind as to roll this one for me, until I figure it out?
    Last edited by Parmenides; 2008-08-29 at 08:45 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Talis stands, turning to his new companions. "I am Talis Holden, Warrior. I will do what I can to protect you, my fellow Chosen."

With that, Talis turns to the portal, stepping forward.

He was unsure though. He had always, generally, fought the evil beasts and monsters that plagued civilization. He had fought alongside elves, and they were a noble people. To him, it didn't seem quite right that these were the ones that he would take up arms against...

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Did you edit the roll? The boards don't let you put in a new die roll if you've edited your post, and it switches them to [roll#] if you previewed your post. If you preview your post, just put in the actual numbers again afterward and it will work.

Parmenides' Arcana - (1d20+11)[27]

Parmenides knows a few scant bits of information about Falbatorix and his Mechanism; it is said that he was a wizard who consorted with demons, or maybe a warlock who dabbled in book magic, who grew to hate the gods roughly seven hundred years ago. It is said that he blasphemed against them so that Kord himself stepped down from the Astral Sea to smite him personally. The Mechanism is either the cause of that blasphemy or its final product, but it was damaged. Now, whenever the pieces are brought together they become extremely unstable and prone to explode if not carefully contained, destroying everything around them and scattering the pieces across a wide area.
    Last edited by NecroRebel; 2008-08-29 at 10:58 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Erion

As you wish, Prophet.
    The Warlock immediately follows the thread through the portal. This is a boon beyond measure. To see my fate rolled out before me. I must learn this magic.
    Adventurers. Murderous hobos with near-deific power who are both merciless and incredibly competent at personal combat.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Seeker looks momentarily uncomfortable at the mention of elves as enemy combatants, but this passes as he unconsciously reaches up and takes hold of the amulet bearing Ioun's holy symbol. Turning to Hymn once more, be bows and addresses her.

"I trust in the will of the Goddess and you as her Prophet. I will seek this mechanism. That's my purpose after all, isn't it?"

With that, he too follows the pointing of the ribbon to the shimmering portal.

And if it's not, I shudder to think what will happen...

Homebrew:
    Homebrew Compendium

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Dumar

Dumar frowns at the mention of fighting elves, and again at the word 'surrender'. He bows to the Prophetess. "I will do as you ask, though it may prove difficult." He turns to the others next. "My name is Dumar Menares. I am a soldier by trade."

After watching a few of the others leave, Dumar follows them. The path to my destiny? Well hopefully what I want and what the fates have decided is the same...

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

One by one, you enter the portal, and light surrounds you. For an instant, you feel as though you are everywhere at once before you arrive at your destination, somewhere far away.

You arrive in a small chamber, perhaps twenty feet on a side, built in well-cut grey-white limestone layered with tapestries. Carved into the flagstones beneath your feet are the ornate and familiar runes and markings of a teleport circle, which you are in the center of. Ahead, three human men garbed in the regalia of Ioun's priesthood and a woman in armor bearing Ioun's sigil wait by the door until you all emerge from the portal, which blinks out as the eldest of the men approaches.

The man welcomes you warmly. Welcome to Olnetton, masters! The Prophet has informed us that you would be arriving. I am Bangod, prefect of this temple and leader of the faithful in Etly. With me, are Alabet and Torolon, two of the acolytes here, - he looks at the woman slightly askance - and Sir Selena, one of Olnetton's knights and the ranking military officer who follows our Lady.

Turning back to you, he looks puzzled briefly. I... am afraid that Lady Hymn has not told us much about what you're doing here. She simply gave Greenash, our youngest acolyte, a rather cryptic message to give to Selena -

The woman cuts him off. Sir Selena, Prefect. She said to send five of my soldiers - five specific soldiers who I've been watching for cowardice recently - on a special mission that I am assured will solve all of my problems with them.

Bangod pauses for a moment before continuing. Yes, well, that is just about all we know. Is there anything more you can tell us about why you are here?

Spoiler
    Show
    I apologize for the rather unnatural amount of exposition that's taking place at the moment... It's difficult to set up the complicated mythology I've got thought out at the moment without it, and I'm worried that if I don't at least try to get it out now I'll start referring to things that I've never mentioned to you. I promise that we'll get past it fairly quickly at this juncture and we can get to some more entertaining stuff.

Unless of course you think my exposition is entertaining, in which case... What?
    Last edited by NecroRebel; 2008-08-29 at 11:56 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Dumar

Dumar steps forward and looks between Bangod and Selena. "Perhaps you could tell us more about this mission you were told to send them on first, and we can fill in any missing details?"

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Selena reaches into a pouch at her waist and pulls out a folded piece of parchment, saying, You can read the letter yourself. She told me specifically to bring it here today; otherwise I'd have burned it. She unfolds the parchment and hands you the letter.

Written on it in a scribe's elegant script is written thus:

Sir Selena,

I am the Prophet Hymn, Ioun's most favored, and I have a request to make of you. Send Atinalem, Barenris, Erace, Kinom, and Racetavi on your fastest horses to the west edge of the Fens where the water meets the sea. There they will see an apple tree. As they watch, an apple will fall from the third-highest branch. They must take that apple to Ayana's Fate! When they approach, they are to tie their horses to the willow with intertwined trunks and go into the ruins on foot, bringing the apple to the shrine of Gruumsh where they shall smash it on the statue's head.

I know you do not feel these men are worthy of such a task, but you should know that after this you will never need worry about them turning and fleeing the enemy again.

For the Goddess Ioun,
    Hymn
    (Here is a signature and seal in wax)

In two days time, when you leave your manor three hours before high noon, bring this letter with you. You'll have need of it.
    As you finish reading, Selena speaks again. Do you know any reason why she would ask such a thing of me? I would not dream of disobeying one of the Prophet's requests, but... This mission is nonsense! What is so special about this apple that it must be taken to that old ruin so quickly? You must know something!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Dumar

Dumar glances at the other, then at Selena. "All that I know is that we have been tasked to recover an item for the Prophet from Ayana's Fate. As to why these others were sent, I honestly could not say. We must trust that Ioun, and through her the Prophet, knows what is best."

18. - Top - End - #18

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Erion

I know not how the threads of fate weave around them, though I worry that this may not end well for your soldiers.
    He pauses for a moment and taps his lip, considering possibilities. We were informed that there would be many orcs inhabiting Ayana's Fate, and that the elves would be sending an expedition. Defiling an orcish idol would incite and enrage them, if they were to know about it. They might fight the elves to the last, rather than surrender or withdraw. The weaker the elves, the easier it is for us to retrieve the piece we need.

He pauses again, a mutters a few words of prayer for the dead while he considers his logic. Still, that tells us little about the fate of your soldiers. What matters is that they did as told and serve well. If that happens, they go to Ioun as heroes no matter the result.

Spoiler
    Show

Checking the facts known to see if his guess is reasonable with the timing involved.
    Insight - (1d20+8)[18]
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Parmenides, Human Wizard

"There might be different explanations for the orders in the letter. When one is blessed with knowledge of the future, many special and specific plans can be devised, and I'm certain our wise Lady Hymn uses then with great effect to protect the realm.

Perhaps, those soldiers provided the elves with the needed distraction to overcome the orcs with ease. Perhaps the timing of the elven attack saved the soldiers, who considered themselves doomed, and renewed their belief in Ioun's watchfulness over their lives, thus rekindling their bravery. Perhaps the elves treated them kindly because they helped defeat a common enemy, and those soldiers happened to find-out important information for our mission.

Perhaps it was just their fate to die in those circumstances...

Without more information, we just cannot know. Perhaps we will have more information on our return."

Parmenides halts, suddenly embarrassed for delivering such a long recitation. I must remember this isn't the academy. It might be more polite to be brief. Anyway, perhaps it is better not to dwell on the reasons too much. The Lady Hymn did told us that knowing the challenges ahead will only lead to failure.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Seeker, Tiefling Paladin/Starlock

"My Lady," he salutes Selena, "and my Lords," he bows his head toward Bangod and the acolytes, "I am Seeker, paladin in the service of Our Lady of Knowledge and her Prophet. As my companions indicated, we've been charged to travel to Ayana's Fate to locate an artifact for the Lady Hymn. As far as the fate of your soldiers, I can't say, but this deal with the apple, the specific instructions, the defiling of Gruumsh's shrine, and such all smack of prophecy to me. With the battle between hordes of orcs and elves things seem dim for five humans wading into the middle, but I trust Ioun will protect them should it be her will." At this, he glances around his own group of five. "And perhaps with her blessing we may even meet with them as we travel to Ayana's Fate on our own mission."

Spoiler
    Show
    Do I recall any sort of prophecies that relate to the various things she's revealed the soldiers were required to do (apples, tying horses to trees, etc.)? Like the kind we hear in Greek myths? Don't know if that's History or Religion, so here's both.
    History: (d20+8)[25]
    Religion: (d20+8)[12]

Homebrew:
    Homebrew Compendium

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Talis is silent throughout the proceedings, and he is nervous. He has fought orcs before, but has never been on any mission with any particular importance. He takes a deep breath as he listens on what is expected of him.

"I don't know why I was chosen, I am no great scholar or master of Book Magic. I am a warrior with a Blacksmith father. I am here only to help protect the others of Ioun's chosen. And I feel that we should not question the instructions of Her prophets."
    He says, doubt still plaguing him. Ioun never favored warriors before, save for perhaps his Paladin companion. What would his place be?

He resolved to stick with what he knew, that he was indeed a rare example of intelligence for his kind.

He watched Selena and Bangod as they spoke, trying to discern if there was something that they were not being told... Too many times had he blundered blindly because he had been ill-informed...

Spoiler
    Show
    Insight check to see if maybe Bangod and Selena might be hiding something from us
    Insight: (1d20+4)[18]

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

All of the locals look confused. An artifact at Ayana's Fate? That place has been looted many dozens of times since it was abandoned; even the catacombs beneath the castle were picked clean before they were flooded. And why would the elves be so deep into human lands? All the news from Coldhunt Forest indicates that King Rilial is concentrating on the orcs in the Gnomecap Mountains to their north... Bangod sighs. Hymn must know what you are going into... The fact that she has told us nothing only shows that it is worse than we would expect. As you must go, be careful.

Sir Selena nods her head. Yes... Ayana's Fate is not difficult to find; it is five miles due east of here. Follow the Old Road until it turns sharply south two miles on, then three miles through the Fens. It isn't a long trek, but it will take time to get through the swamps, so roughly a three hour journey on horseback.

My men... Well, those horses could get them to the sea and to the ruin in a day and a half if they rode hard and through the night, but Erace is too cautious to risk their horses on that. I'd guess they'd not arrive until tomorrow. Perhaps they are meant to help you, but I cannot know that.

Regardless, I took the liberty of having horses saddled for your use. They are in the stables of the inn, the Gnome-home, down the street. You may take them whenever you are ready.

(The priests' and knight's ignorance and confusion seems to be genuine. Erion's and Parmenides' guesses as to what the orders might mean are also possible given your knowledge of the situation, though Parmenides' doesn't quite fit the timeframe unless the soldiers did ride quickly.

You have not heard any legends that involve apples and Gruumsh or horses around twisted trees. There is at least one legend involving a fruit falling from the highest branch of a tree as someone watched, but in that legend it turned into a beautiful princess who saved the kingdom from invaders; that legend is most commonly told by hobgoblins though.)

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Dumar

Dumar nods to the two. "Thank you. Your help is most appreciated. And if we are meant to save your men, we will. But Fatewill decide, in the end. If you will direct us towards this inn, we will be on our way. Unless anyone else has any questions?" He looks at each of his companions, waiting to see if everyone else is ready.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Parmenides

"We thank you for the horses, Sir Selena. We will make sure to look for your men, whenever either of us may arrive at Ayana's Fate." Turning to his companions, he says: "Let us not tarry. I am ready, Shall we go?"
    Last edited by Parmenides; 2008-08-31 at 12:08 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Seeker

"I'm ready as soon when everyone else is," Seeker says to the mage. Turning his eyes back to Sir Selena and the acolytes, he addresses them once again. "Thank you for your information and aid. We'll not forget this favor soon. May the Goddess's knowledge light your way."

Bowing, he glances at his companions, ready to hasten on this new and exciting adventure.

Homebrew:
    Homebrew Compendium

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Leaving the temple, you pass through several chambers: the omnipresent libraries that are a fixture in Ioun's domains, a small set of shrines to the other gods - this is probably the largest temple in Olnetton, so all worshippers are catered to, and finally a sizable chamber in the front of the church for Ioun herself, with circles of couches and chairs for discussion and debate arranged around a fountain topped by a statue of the Goddess.

As you exit the large double doors you find yourselves in a wide, crowded, brightly sunlit street. Vendors hawk their wares to the throng of people, mostly humans but with a few members of every race, even a group of savage bugbears arguing with some men, as a few guardsmen watch carefully for theives on a small stand to the west. Following the directions that Selena had given you, you fight your way through the mob and get to the sign for Gnome-home.

Inside, the innkeeper greets you tiredly, but quickly perks up when told that you had waiting horses, claiming that Sir Selena was one of his oldest and best friends and that he would be happy to serve her. The horses he shows you to are saddled and ready to go, and although they are clearly not thoroughbred noble's horses, they will serve you well and carry you faster than your feet would.

(Horses have speed 10. If you have the Monster Manual, their other stats are on page 159. Also, feel free to read up on the mounted combat rules on page 46 of the Dungeon Master's Guide. At this point, if there is anything else you would like to do before you leave the city, do it now as I'd like to get the game moving on to the more exciting stuff)

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Talis Holden

Talis shakes the Innkeeper warmly by the hand. "Thank you for your help good sir."

Trevor has no other business that he needs to conduct in this town, he is far too short on money to do anything. He ensures that his magical Greatsword is firmly held in the sheath across his back and that his armor is tightly buckled. He mounts the horse with ease, and kicks it into a trot. He circles around a few times, letting the horse get used to its new rider.

"Whoa," he says to the horse, before stopping next to the group. "Shall we get underway?"

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Dumar

Dumar nods his thanks to the innkeeper before turning to his mount. He looks the beast over before going to its head. He gently strokes its nose and speaks softly to it. After it seems to relax a bit, he easily swings into the saddle. After making sure his weapons are at hand, he turns to the others.
    "Yes, we should head out with all possible speed. I'd hate to know something happened to those men because we dwaddled."

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Seeker

"Indeed, speed could make all the difference to either of our missions, especially with hostile elves in the area. And should we arrive long before Sir Selena's men, then perhaps we can at least get the lay of the land and 'meet the locals' beforehand."

Seeker mounts his horse, patting it on the neck. "If what we've been told is true, it's not that far of a ride. I suggest be wary, especially once we reach the fens." He checks the straps on his saddle and his armor and unslings his shield, keeping it at the ready.

"Let's ride. Perhaps on the road, Parmenides, you can teach me some of your mage tricks for learning some of these difficult rituals I've been trying to figure out..."

Homebrew:
    Homebrew Compendium

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Parmenides

Parmenides checks his gear one last time to make sure everything is in place, before mounting his horse. He knows that a little extra attention to details now can prevent problems later on. It seems as if all is in order.

He turns in his saddle towards Seeker: "I will be delighted to discuss learning and lore. Just recently I learned a new formula for enhancing the senses to detecet small discrepancies in the surrounding, that can indicate the precense of a concealed passage. You might find it interesting. As to my 'trics' - well, I view them more as procedures, but I'm sure we will have much to debate concerning arcane theory on the way."
    Last edited by Parmenides; 2008-09-02 at 01:01 AM.