New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: In Service to the Prophet (IC)

Spoiler
    Show
    Alright, thanks. Of course, since I've apparently become incapable of rolling anything higher than a 3 or 4 since the couple of Knowledge rolls at the beginning of the game, I don't know how useful it'll be.
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

So should I reroll my attacks, or just stick with the ones I already made?
    A mind without purpose will walk in dark places. - Gideon Ravenor

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Either works. If you want to use your old rolls and actions, that's fine, or if you want to change that's fine too.

Do note, though, that this is something of a one-time thing due to this being the first fight of the campaign; it'll let us all figure out how battles will be run in the future. For the most part, I'm going to prefer it if you wait until your round comes up in the initiative order to determine your actions.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

Dumar

Dumar moves up to the spearman attacking Talis, swinging his hammer at him.

Spoiler
    Show

Attack (1d20+6)[22]
    Damage (1d10+4)[11]

Also, how do you want us to handle crits? Is a 20 an automatic crit, or do we have to confirm it first? I ask cause I've seen it done both ways.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Spoiler
    Show

Well, come on, people. Let's move this thing along!

NecroRebel, if you are waiting for The_Werebear, he already declared his actions:
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Werebear View Post
    Erion

Fools. Fate is on our side.
    The warlock pulls the simple rod off his belt as he points to the cluster of archers. He selects the nearest one and intones solemnly The void will claim you. A dark glower comes over his features. Erion whispers an eldritch word, which shoots out of his mouth like an arrow and flies towards the ear of the person who he cursed.

Initiative - (1d20+1)[19]
    Dreadful Word - (1d20+7)[13] (Charisma+Prime Shot v. Will)
    Damage - (2d8+1d6+5)

If I hit, the target also gets -1 to Will Defense until the end of my next turn.
    Just reroll damage for him and let us continue.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, I was waiting for him, but I guess I should just use that one. Damage - (2d8+5)[8]+Hunter's Quarry - (1d6)[3]

The other spearman, seeing his companion struck brutally by Dumar, moves to deal with him.

Spoiler
    Show
    Moving to flanking position, then stabbing Dumar with his spear.

Attack - (1d20+14)[17]
    Damage if hit - (1d8+5)[6]If it hit, you are also marked.

I'll give TwoBitWriter until tonight to change his actions if he wants to, then just use his old ones.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Alright, assuming Talis is using Reaping Strike on the prone one, and hitting.

The second archer draws a bead on Erion and fires, his shot whizzing through the air as the man on the ground stands and strikes Talis again, taking advantage of the spearman distracting the warrior to put a freshly-drawn dagger into a gap in his armor.

Spoiler
    Show
    Archer:
    Attack - (1d20+5)[14]
    Damage if hit - (1d10+4)[10]

Man from the Road:
    Sword Attack - (1d20+13)[32]
    Dagger Attack - (1d20+13)[18]
    Sword Damage if hit - (1d8+6)[10]+(1d6)[5]
    Dagger Damage if hit - (1d6+6)[11]+(1d6)[5]
    If both hit, take another 4 damage.

Permenides turn now; if you don't declare different actions by tomorrow morning, I'll assume your old ones are the ones you want to take.
    Last edited by NecroRebel; 2008-09-09 at 01:11 AM.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Spoiler
    Show

I act as declared before:

Casting Icy Terrain on the two archers ,hoping they will fall down from the tree.
    I got 13 on the first (the one that crited me) and 11 on the second, vs. Reflex (no concealment).

If I hit (the first if anyone at all): 7 cold damage, another 1 for falling down (if applicable), and the tree is covered with ice.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Troll in the Playground

Seeker

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm next in initiative anyway, so I'll go ahead and do my thing. Things have changed sufficiently that I think I need to redo stuff.

Seeing the "injured" stranger lashing out and striking Talis, and Parmenides already looking pretty rough, Seeker readies himself for combat. Crying out a prayer to Ioun to aid his injured ally, he moves against the deceptive foe with a holy vengeance.

Spoiler
    Show
    I was next to the guy on the ground, so even if he moved I should be able to get to him with a move action, right?

Minor Action: Draw +1 vicious scimitar.
    Move Action: Move to the stranger from the road.
    -TAB-(Note: If I don't have to move, I'll instead use a minor action to hit him with a Divine Challenge.)
    Standard Action: Attack the "injured" guy from the road with Paladin's Judgment.

Attack: (1d20+7)[23]
    Hit: (3d8+4)[15] damage and Parmenides can spend a healing surge.
    -TAB-(Critical Damage if necessary: [roll]1d12+1d6+28[/roll])
    Miss: Parmenides can spend a healing surge.

Homebrew:
    Homebrew Compendium

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

Edited
    Spoiler
    Show
    Haha, this is funny.

So I got busted at work for using the internet too much. Funny because it took them a year to finally say that I was using it too much. I thought it was kosher, but oh well...

Anywho, that explains the delay in updates.
    I assumed my last post would be my attack. I will post my next action in order as planned. Forgive me.

If both the sword and dagger hits Talis, I believe he is dead.
    Last edited by TwoBitWriter; 2008-09-09 at 07:23 PM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Erion

Spoiler
    Show
    The arrow misses by two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Terraneaux View Post
    Adventurers. Murderous hobos with near-deific power who are both merciless and incredibly competent at personal combat.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

Frost shrouds the tree the archers were using as a tower as Seeker strikes the swordsman with divine power. As he tries to nock a second arrow, one of the archers slips on the icy branches and falls to the ground, landing with a squelching thud. However, the other archer manages to grasp the trunk and remains in his perch.

The archer that fell shakes his head to clear it as he stands, recovers his weapon, and draws and fires at Parmenides again as the spearman flanking Talis with the swordsman slides to the side and strikes the paladin.

Spoiler
    Show
    The archer that critted Parmenides is hit by Icy Terrain and has fallen to the base of the tree, which bloodies it. Seeker landed a blow on the swordsman and had the action to Divine Challenge it.

Archer stands, attacks Parmenides:
    Attack - (1d20+7)[10]
    Damage if hit - (1d10+4)[12]

Spearman shifts to beside Seeker, attacks Seeker:
    Attack - (1d20+12)[18]
    Damage if hit - (1d8+5)[6] and Seeker is marked.
    Talis is no longer marked.

Dumar's turn, then Erion's.
    Last edited by NecroRebel; 2008-09-09 at 12:36 PM.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Parmenides

Parmenides feels rejuvenated by Ioun's healing energies as Seeker lands a powerful blow on the swordsman. "Way to go, Seeker, and Thank you." His attention returns to the archers as an arrow flies by his ear. Yes, we are not done here yet.

Spoiler
    Show
    I take the healing surge for 6 hp.

NecroRebel - How far away am I from the archers and the tree?
    Last edited by Parmenides; 2008-09-09 at 05:51 PM.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

Talis

Talis' corpse gurgles, his eyes wide open in shock and his blood flowing in a crimson river.

(You killed me, I think. At the very least I am down to -9, so I may as well be.)
    Last edited by TwoBitWriter; 2008-09-09 at 07:27 PM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Parmenides, you're 5 squares from the base of the tree and the archer on the ground.

And no, you're not quite dead yet Talis. You don't die die until you're at your bloodied value below 0, and most enemies will ignore unconscious foes. That particular ability is one of the reasons why I was giving people the option to rechoose their action once their turn came up, since if you hadn't stood where you were the swordsman would've missed with his dagger and wouldn't have gotten either of his damage boosts.

I did say in the recruitment thread that I intended to make battles difficult. This one is technically level 3, so if you get killed here I can only say: tactics, people, tactics

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm not upset that its a hard game, but its pretty damn hard to do anything "tactical" without a map to show where everyone is placed. And I don't see why Talis would do anything else but stand to attack the guy who just stabbed him before! He doesn't freaking know what the dudes abilities are. So don't criticize and condescend on my choice of actions.
    And I did forget that you can go negative equal to your bloodied. I thought it was still -10 and that I was completely done for.
    Last edited by TwoBitWriter; 2008-09-09 at 07:52 PM.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I apologize if I sounded condescending; that was not my intent. I would feel you had reason to shift to the side, though, since getting flanked is generally a bad thing in battle. I suspect you may not have realized it due to the lack of map; you're very much correct on the difficulty of working without a map. I think I'll go make one up, and in the future have one prepared before our battles.

I'm not 100% sure how I'm going to make the map, but I'll see what I can do. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Alright, map now. Simplistic, but far better than nothing. Should be fairly self-explanatory; A's are archers, Sw is the swordsman, Sp's are the spearman, and the black letters are you guys. Grey is the road; moving from white to grey takes 3 movement. Dark blue is deeper water. Brown are trees. I'll be updating and reposting it as it changes.

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by NecroRebel; 2008-09-09 at 08:52 PM.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    EDIT: Edit-ninja'd by the DM! Map looks good to me, and was basically what I suggested here anyway.

TwoBit, I didn't realize Talis had been hit so hard already or I would have hit you with the healing from my last attack. If you're still alive next time (and you should be - you're not at your negative bloodied value and you still get to make some death saving throws and whatnot), I'll definitely hit you up with some healing. I should be able to at least stabilize you (since any healing while you're in the negatives auto-stabilizes, right?).

One thing I might suggest, if it's alright, would be for people to post when they take a big hit and/or become bloodied and or drop, and also include HP (or at least a generalized view of how badly injured you look) at the end of each post just so we have a quick view of that kind of thing. For instance, I've got an ability that heals a bloodied ally, and it helps if I know who actually IS bloodied. You can include any other important info, too - that you're giving bonuses to something, you've got a +X to defenses for X turns, any ongoing effects, etc. I'll probably do that so I don't have to keep referencing my sheet and others can do it if they want.

Also, one last thing - Necro, would you might appending your attack rolls with a "vs. AC," "vs. Reflex" or whatnot? I assume the attacks that have happened have been vs. AC, but I know Seeker (at least) has some attacks that are normal weapon attacks that target other defenses and I thought it might help just to make sure.

Current Conditions:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Seeker
    HP: 40/40
    - No ongoing conditions
    - "Injured" man from road is marked and takes 6 radiant damage if he doesn't attack me on his turn.
    Last edited by RTGoodman; 2008-09-09 at 08:54 PM.

Homebrew:
    Homebrew Compendium

19. - Top - End - #79

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Erion (38/38)

Spoiler
    Show
    Did my first round action get resolved? I am looking for it in the thread, but I can't find where you dealt with it. As a repeat, I used Dreadful Word on the closest Archer(#1) after Cursing him. I got a 12 to hit his Will Defense (I thought they were on the other side of the road) and I'll roll damage if I hit.
    Adventurers. Murderous hobos with near-deific power who are both merciless and incredibly competent at personal combat.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, it did, back in post #66. Damage and effect from that attack is noted. I accidentally put down the bonus damage from your curse as "hunter's quarry" because apparently I forgot you weren't a Ranger

And in the future, I will append my attack rolls with the defense they target, though for this battle none of the enemies have anything that doesn't target AC.

Still Dumar's turn, then Erion's.

21. - Top - End - #81

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Ok, that explains why I missed it. Sorry. I'll get my action set up later today.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

Dumar

Dumar sees Talis falls. He yells out to him. "Fear not Talis! You shall not fall this day!" He swings his hammer at the spearman that dared strike at him.

Spoiler
    Show

Inspiring Word on Talis (he can spend a healing surge and get an additional 1d6 hp)

Attack (1d20+6)[22]
    Damage (1d10+4)[10]

Last edited by Ipphli; 2008-09-10 at 12:43 PM.

23. - Top - End - #83

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Erion

As Tallis falls, the warlock's rage flares, and his control of his power fades slightly as he draws upon more power. Eyes glowing violet, he conjures his will in a bolt of pure wrath and unleashes a stream of crackling energy from his rod at the archer he cursed.

Spoiler
    Show

38/38 HP
    Eldritch Blast - (1d20+6)[24]
    [roll=Damage]1d10+1d6+5[/roll]
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #84

DwarfBarbarianGuy

It does NOT like my damage rolls.
    Spoiler
    Show

(1d10+5)[7]
    (1d6)[3]
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

The spearman near Dumar staggers slightly from the warlord's blow, but recovers quickly. Seeing the blast from the enraged warlock nearly blow his ally off his feet enrages the elf in turn, and he rushes Dumar, attempting to push him back.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spearman 2 shifts 1 square to the right, then attempts a Bull Rush on Dumar.

Attack vs. Fortitude - (1d20+10)[20]
    If hit, Dumar is pushed 1 square diagonal up and left, and the spearman shifts into his old square.

Current Status effects:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Archer 1 is bloodied.

Talis's turn.

Map
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by NecroRebel; 2008-09-10 at 02:54 PM.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Parmenides

"Talis, Friend, if you can move a bit eastward, perhaps I can help..."

Spoiler
    Show
    TwoBitWriter - I have a nice tactical (two-phase) idea in mind, but I don't want to hurt you. If you can move a bit right on the map (is that east here, or south?), I might be able to reduce the pressure. A shift will be enough.

I know you need a move to stand-up, but if it fits what you want to do, you can shift with your Passing Attack or with an action point (in case you thought of taking one and enjoy the healing from our warlord's Inspiring Presence - that's part of my plan).

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

Healing Surge: 9 + (1d6)[1]

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    #&$#! With 1 HP... damn it...

Talis awakens as he feels the healing spread through his body. He staggers to his feat, gripping his sword... "Dare you try that again you fiend!"

(Actions will follow in a moment...)
    Last edited by TwoBitWriter; 2008-09-10 at 06:55 PM.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

"I will take you all down!"

(Using passing attack on Sp1, then, if I hit, will shift 1 square to the right to attack Sw. Either way, I will use an action point to take a second wind.)

Passing Attack on Sp1: (1d20+10)[23]
    Damage to Sp1 (1d10+6)[9]
    Passing Attack to Sw: (1d20+12)[19]
    Damage to Sw: (1d10+6)[8]

Using 1 Action Point, then using my Second wind.
    Recovering 4 HP for Dumar's Inspiring Presence + 9 HP for Second Wind.

Current Status:
    Spoiler
    Show
    23/36 HP
    0 AP
    Second Wind Expended

(Edit: Bad Damage rolls, but I think the first one will at least hit...)
    Last edited by TwoBitWriter; 2008-09-10 at 09:58 PM.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

Talis manages to strike past the spearman's defenses, but the other foe parries his strike. As he spins away, the archer that had still been in the tree drops out and launches a missile towards Parmenides, shooting over the head of one of the spearmen. Straight off of blocking the latest assault on him, the swordsman, knowing that divine power would smite him if he did not accept the paladin's challenge, strikes with his blade before spinning himself away.

Spoiler
    Show
    Archer 2 is now on the ground, and attacking Parmenides.

Attack vs. AC - (1d20+7)[22]
    Damage if hit - (1d10+4)[8]

Swordsman attacks Seeker, then shifts 1 right.

Attack vs. AC - (1d20+11)[16]
    Damage if hit - (1d8+6)[13]

Current Status:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Archer 1 is bloodied

Parmenides's turn, then Seeker.

Map:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by NecroRebel; 2008-09-10 at 08:17 PM.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Parmenides

Another arrow flies towards Parmenides. It strikes his armor, knocking some wind out of him. This thing is turning bad. Talis was seriously hit, and I'm not much better of. It's time to act smart... First, let's try putting all the ducks in a row. He extends his Orb, and a the air in front of him ripples. A loud thunder sounds as he tries to push the two spearmen back.

Spoiler
    Show
    Thunderwave - sp1:(1d20+7)[13], sp2:(1d20+7)[13] vs. Fortitude.
    Hit - (1d6+6)[12] thunder damage, and push 3. I'm trying to push them towards the archers, straight down.

After we'll see results, I'll continue.