New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: In Service to the Prophet (IC)

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll... Keep that in mind.

While I had already had treasures thought out for level 1 or so, I can probably switch them around a bit. It may or may not make some other things that I had planned make little to no sense, but you're right, with your rolls being as bad as they are, you guys really need either rerolls or more attack bonuses.

The problem, unfortunately, is that as of right now you actually have, in theory, between a 40%-70% chance of hitting any given target... Which makes me more than a little annoyed at the fact that none of you ever seem to hit.

The way I see it, the fun in DMing is first telling a story, but second is the ability to put your players into a fire and see how they pull themselves out. If the dice screw you, though, that's half my fun as well as most of yours

2. - Top - End - #182
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Spoiler
    Show

Ipphli - I can feel your pain about the rolls. God knows I felt it myself - I too missed important attacks (even as I rolled high damage), and look - I just got critically hit for the second time in as many fights (I was only attacked 5 times, tops), and I'm bloodied again.

Still, like NecroRebel said, we have a decent Hit chance, just a lot of bad luck. I'd prefer if he didn't have to make something in the story make no sense just because we had bad luck now. Another side of the gambler's fallacy is to believe thing will stay just as bad, so a specific plus-to-hit item will make a big difference. Let the pace of the story continue as planned, and NecroRebel - I think we can cope with no more then maybe a few more healing potions.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I think I overstated the problem a bit. The difficulty is that, in this particular battle, I had planned a weapon upgrade for Dumar - specifically, a +1 Flaming warhammer. I could make that a +2 hammer instead, but unfortunately the elf trooper just used said +1 flaming warhammer's daily power against Erion, so either he has a +1 flaming warhammer (and not a +2 hammer), or he has a +2 hammer and the trooper gained a power giving +1d6 fire damage and 5 ongoing fire damage out of nowhere

It isn't really plot-significant at all, and I do have more magic items planned scattered throughout the ruins in several of the preplanned encounters (though I suspect that I'm going to be changing some of those at least to noncombat encounters if possible; battle after battle takes too long), but the ones in the future are obviously much easier to change than the one at present.

Still Talis's turn, by the way.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Troll in the Playground

Seeker

After seeing Erion sneak around the building and then seeing him immediately flung backwards (and on fire!), Seeker moves to the warlock's aid, calling out to Talis, "The others have hit a snag - I've got to help them. If things get too bad in there, retreat to us and we'll see if we've better luck together."

When he arrives, he channels holy energies and some of his own life-force into the ailing and rapidly burning Erion. "Get behind me, friends - I'll try to hold them off, and see what I can do about the fire when I get a hand free!"

Ioun help us. I trust in her will, but things aren't looking as good for us as they could...

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm gonna break our little rule because I don't know when I'll get a chance to get back here today - I turned 21 today, and that means I've gotta go spend time at the DMV to get my license changed and THEN I get to go out and booze it up (maybe).

From what I've seen, a weapon with a higher to-hit bonus might help a little, but it's mostly just that we've had high rolls on non-combat stuff (Perception, Knowledge, Initiative, etc.) and unfortunately low rolls on attack rolls. Damage is a different story - I think everyone that has missed on attack rolls has rolled max damage or at least really good damage on those botched attacks.

I don't think my actions will change anything, so here's the plan. If things do change and invalidate what I've done, just DM me with the following basic plan - I want to heal up anyone I can and then be ready to fight next round when I'm more in range of enemies.

Move Action: Move down to the square north of Erion and west of Parmenides.
    Free Action: Drop Rod
    Standard Action: Lay on Hands
    Minor Action: Draw Scimitar

Effect: I spend a healing surge, and Erion gains HP as if he had spent one.

If anyone hits either Erion or Parmenides with a pretty bad attack before my next turn, I'll use Martyr's Blessing as an immediate interrupt to take it instead.

Also, guys, try to put your status blocks at the bottom of posts if possible, so I'll know who needs HP or saving throws or whatever.

Current Status:
    Spoiler
    Show
    HP: 40/40
    Healing Surges: 9/11
    Action Points: 0
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

Talis

"We will fall together, Dumar!"

Talis shifts Northeast one, uses Cleave on So3 (secondary attack So2)

Attack on S03: (1d20+10)[15]
    Damage: (1d10+6)[11]
    (If I hit So3, So2 takes 4 Damage

Hit or miss, Talis will take an action point to Cleave So3 again (secondary hit on So2)

Attack on S03: (1d20+10)[30]
    Damage: (1d10+6)[8]
    (If I hit So3, So2 takes 4 Damage

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

Talis moves into the castle and deals a strong blow to one of the soldiers, his blade biting through leather and flesh before burying itself into another's chest, as the paladin goes to aid his companions towards the south.

Spoiler
    Show
    Talis's first attack misses, but the action-point attack hits. Both So3 and So2 drop.

It would have been So3's turn, but he is currently a bit dead.

Current Status:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Soldiers 1, 2, and 3 are dead.
    Archer is bloodied.

Parmenides's turn.

Map:
    Spoiler
    Show

Assuming Parmenides doesn't post in the next 2 hours or so, this will be my last post until later tomorrow. I'll have my computer disassembled so I can move, so I won't be active.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

Dumar

Dumar glances over at Talis. "You keep swinging like that and neither of us are going down today, lad."
    A mind without purpose will walk in dark places. - Gideon Ravenor

8. - Top - End - #188
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Parmenides

Parmenides shakes his head to rid himself of the thunderous ringing in his ears. "Seeker, it's good you came. I'll try to keep the elves disoriented for a moment, so after you help Erion we can form a line. He'll be safe behind us."
    Parmenides positions himself south of Erion and faces the elves."Normally, I'd be glad to play 'thunder tug', but for now just look at the pretty lights... "

Spoiler
    Show
    I move left-down-down and blast the elves with Color Spray.

Color Spray - Tr: (1d20+7)[21] , Sw: [roll]1d20+7[roll] , So6: [roll]1d20+7[roll] vs. Will.
    Hit - (1d6+6)[8] radiant damage, and daze.

Status
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bloodied at 14/28, but if someone attacks me, I'll use Shield as an interrupt. (Assumig it won't be another critical)
    Last edited by Parmenides; 2008-09-23 at 03:43 AM.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Spoiler
    Show

Correcting the two bad rolls:

Sw: (1d20+7)[11] , So6: (1d20+7)[22]

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

(NecroRebel emailed me, and said he can't access the GitP site for some reason. He asked me to relay this information to everyone. He wasn't sure when he could come back.)

11. - Top - End - #191
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Sadface. Well, I am willing to wait for a return.
    Quote Originally Posted by Terraneaux View Post
    Adventurers. Murderous hobos with near-deific power who are both merciless and incredibly competent at personal combat.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ogre in the Playground

(OOC: Also, I will be unavailable to post this weekend. So if necro gets back, he can NPC my next actions.)

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm finally able to get access to the site again, so assuming you're all still paying attention we can continue. Again, I apologize for my extended absence; I hadn't expected to be gone more than a day or two, and it turned into nearly a week due to network problems Regardless, I need to review what's happened since I left and remember how things were going, so I'll probably be posting the next enemies' turns in a few minutes.

Thank you again for your patience.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

The glittering colors spike from the wizard's hand, cutting into the elves with the hammer and short sword, and while the former throws up his hands to avoid the worst of the blast the latter is not so lucky; light burns through him, leaving a scorched husk. The elf with the hammer shakes his head to clear it and steps forward, able to do nothing more but swing ineffectively at the air. Meanwhile, inside one of the soldiers attacks Dumar again.

Spoiler
    Show
    Parmenides hits Soldier 6 and Trooper, Soldier 6 drops. Soldier 4 attacks Dumar, Trooper moves 1 square west.

Attack vs. AC - (1d20+6)[11]
    Damage if hit - [5]

Current Status:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Trooper is dazed.
    Archer is bloodied.
    Soldiers 1, 2, 3, 6 are dead.

Erion's turn now.

Map:
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #195

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Erion

Smoldering, and sent sprawling, the warlock scrambles backwards, still on the ground. Without bothering to stand, he curses the trooper, and then sends a vile word winging his way. Foul elves. Fear Enlightenment.

Spoiler
    Show

Dreadful Word - (1d20+7)[12] versus Will. If he fails, he gets -3 on Will Saves.
    Damage - (2d8+3)[7]
    Curse - (1d6)[3]
    Save versus Fire - (1d20)[18]
    HP: 33/38, Prone, On Fire if I fail the save
    Adventurers. Murderous hobos with near-deific power who are both merciless and incredibly competent at personal combat.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #196

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Erion

Spoiler
    Show
    Well, at least that attack sucked in general. I am ending on square 2 left, three up from the bottom.
    Last edited by The_Werebear; 2008-09-28 at 02:27 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground

Erion's blast goes wide and splashes harmlessly against the castle wall as the elven swordsman-wizard moves to attack the warlock again, this time with his blade. Inside the castle, the archer moves towards the south exit, loosing an arrow at Dumar as he runs.

Spoiler
    Show
    Erion misses the trooper. Swordsman moves 2 squares left and 1 square up and left, then attacks Erion. Archer moves 3 squares down and left and 2 squares down, then attacks Dumar.

Swordsman attack vs. AC - (1d20+11)[25]
    Damage if hit - (1d8+5)[8]
    Recharge - (1d6)[6]
    Archer attack vs. AC - (1d20+9)[29]
    Damage if hit - (1d10+4)[6]
    Archer's attack was a critical, so 14 damage instead of rolled damage.

Current status:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Trooper is dazed and cursed.
    Archer is bloodied.
    Soldiers 1, 2, 3, 6 are dead.

Dumar's turn.

Map:
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    Damn, that's annoying... 2 criticals on you guys in one battle, and 1 last battle, too Oddly enough, I don't have luck like this when I'm doing die rolls as a player in other games, so why when I'm DMing?
    Last edited by NecroRebel; 2008-09-28 at 03:24 PM.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground

Dumar

Dumar grunts in pain as the arrow hits him in the thigh. He manages to stay on his fight, muttering to himself. "This is not how my story ends!" He shifts foward to make space of Talis to fight at his side and swings at the soldier.

Spoiler
    Show

Minor action for Inspiring Word on myself (1d6)[3]
    Wolf-pack tactics to let Talis shift as a free action
    Attack (1d20+6)[16]
    Damage (1d10+4)[5]

So Dumar is now at 23/40 hp
    Last edited by Ipphli; 2008-09-28 at 05:16 PM.
    A mind without purpose will walk in dark places. - Gideon Ravenor

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm just going to assume that the soldier you were attacking was #5, because it's easier for me

Since TwoBitWriter said earlier that he is offline for the weekend, I'm going to assume that I'm NPCing him this turn.

Dumar jumps to the side, smashing his hammer into one of the elves' side and giving Talis an opening to move in and attack the other.

Spoiler
    Show
    Soldier 5 dies. Talis shifts 1 down and uses Sure Strike on Soldier 4.

Attack vs. AC - (1d20+12)[15]
    Damage if hit - (1d10+1)[3]

Current Status:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Trooper is dazed and under Erion's curse.
    Archer is bloodied.
    Soldiers 1, 2, 3, 5, 6 are dead.

Seeker's turn, then Parmenides's.

Map:
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    You know, I think you guys are just cursed. I keep rolling well when I attack for baddies, and badly when I roll for one of you.
    Last edited by NecroRebel; 2008-09-28 at 05:46 PM.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Troll in the Playground

Seeker

Stepping into the fray right in front of both elves, Seeker calls out "Now THIS is the kind of battle I like!" He swings his scimitar at the elf with the flaming weapon, and calls out a challenge to the swordsman.

Spoiler
    Show
    Good to be playing again. Also, here's a question - is this Swordsman the same one from before, or just another random elf swordsman?

Move Action: Shift down one square.
    Standard Action: Shielding Smite against Trooper
    Minor Action: Divine Challenge against Swordsman

Here goes nothin'...

Attack: (1d20+9)[22] vs. AC (with Combat Advantage)
    Damage: (2d8+3)[19] damage
    Effect: Parmenides gets a +2 power bonus to AC until the end of my next turn.

That should keep everyone safe for a turn and draw the enemies' fire (pun totally intended regarding the Trooper's flaming hammer ). Parmenides has +2 AC so he should be good if the Trooper tries to bypass me, and the only one that could attack Erion is marked so he takes a -2 penalty if he DOES attack him (and takes some damage).

Spoiler
    Show
    40/40 HP
    9/11 Healing Surges
    0 Action Points

Hey, I rolled well AND rolled max damage! Hooray!
    Last edited by RTGoodman; 2008-09-28 at 06:15 PM.

Homebrew:
    Homebrew Compendium

21. - Top - End - #201
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Parmenides

"Thanks Seeker, I appreciate it." Parmenides moves a bit southward and unleashes his own thunderous attack on the two elves.

Spoiler
    Show

Shift down one, then Thunderwave on both elves.
    Thunderwave: Tr (d20+7)[9], Sw (d20+7)[23] vs. Fort.
    Hit: (d6+6)[7] thunder damage and push 3.

If one of them attacks me, I still have Shield as an interrupt.
    Last edited by Parmenides; 2008-09-29 at 01:32 AM.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

Seeker's blade cuts into his opponent's flesh, drawing blood, as Parmenides thunderous rejoinder blasts away the other elf. Seeing his companion knocked around like a rag doll makes the hammer-wielding trooper reconsider his opponents, and he attacks the wizard as, inside the castle, the last of the elf soldiers attacks Talis.

Spoiler
    Show
    Trooper is bloodied, swordsman is 2 squares left of the lower left-most square on the map. Trooper attacks Parmenides, Soldier 4 attacks Talis.

Trooper attack vs. AC - (1d20+15)[35]
    Fire damage if hit - (1d10+7)[9] and Parmenides is marked.
    ...And apparently the dice hate Parmenides. Another critical, so damage is instead in next post (magic weapon, so +damage on critical)
    Soldier attack vs. AC - (1d20+6)[14]
    Damage if hit - [5]

Current status:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Archer is bloodied.
    Swordsman is marked by Seeker.
    Trooper is bloodied and cursed by Erion.
    Soldiers 1, 2, 3, 5, and 6 are dead.

Erion's turn.

Map:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by NecroRebel; 2008-09-29 at 05:07 AM.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground

Parmenides damaged from critical - (1d6+17)[22]

Spoiler
    Show
    I don't know why I keep getting crits. At least you guys have gotten some good attack rolls in the last half-round

24. - Top - End - #204

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Has the swordsman left the map yet? It affects how I move.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #205
    Troll in the Playground

Seeker

Seeing the elf with the flaming hammer swing what looks like a sure death-blow at Parmenides, Seeker leaps in the way of the elf's hammer, absorbing the attack. Sneering at the elf as the fiery blow phases him less than it should, Seeker growls at the elf, "Perhaps you should focus on those of us who are a more immediate threat to you."

Spoiler
    Show
    I think this is the perfect time to use Martyr's Blessing. Parmenides isn't hit by that critical, and I'm him instead.

And it just so happens that I'm resistant to some of that fire, too.

Current Status:
    Spoiler
    Show
    24/40 HP
    9/11 Healing Surges
    0 Action Points
    1 Item Power
    Last edited by RTGoodman; 2008-09-29 at 01:14 PM.

Homebrew:
    Homebrew Compendium

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The_Werebear View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Has the swordsman left the map yet? It affects how I move.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yes, it is 2 squares left of the bottom-left square on the map. He will probably be coming back, as Parmenides pushed him off with Thunderwave, but at the moment he is off.

27. - Top - End - #207

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Ok, I'll be able to put up my post later this evening.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #208

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Erion

Taking advantage of the sudden release of the press on him, the warlock backpeddles around the tree, aiming a quirky curse he picked up, one that will temporarily remove any ability for the trooper with the hammer to realize the sight of him. If the swordsman looses track of me, and the trooper loses sight, maybe I can pick up an advantage

Spoiler
    Show
    Moving back three squares, then using Eyebite on the Trooper. If I hit, I am invisible to him until the end of my next turn.
    To Hit versus Will - (1d20+6)[20]
    Damage with Curse - (2d6+4)[15]
    HP: 25/38
    No Status Problems
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #209

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Erion

Spoiler
    Show
    Woo, good rolls. One other thing. In Addition to being behind a tree, I also have concealment for moving more than three squares. And I went around the side of the tree closer to the castle, if it matters.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

Erion's curse streaks out into his target's face and a swirl of power is clearly visible in the elf's eyes as the man screams in pain. Not knowing where the warlock has gone, and furious at the paladin for interfering, the swordsman approaches and creates another thunderous arc as the elven archer emerges from the castle and fires at Seeker.

Spoiler
    Show
    Trooper is hit by Eyebite. Swordsman moves in and uses Thunderwave again. Archer moves out of castle and attacks Seeker.

Swordsman attack vs. Seeker reflex - (1d20+9)[11]
    Swordsman attack vs. Parmenides reflex - (1d20+9)[14]
    Thunder damage if hit - (1d6+5)[6] and push 1
    Recharge - (1d6)[5]
    Spoiler
    Show
    While I'm aware that recharges are technically supposed to happen at the start of a creature's turn, for the sake of simplicity I'll just be doing them with the rest of their rolls. That way, I'll know if they have an ability recharged at the start of their next turn and won't need to make poor tactical decisions or double post to use recharge powers.

Archer attack vs. Seeker AC - (1d20+9)[25]
    Damage if hit - (1d10+4)[14]

Current Status:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Swordsman is marked by Seeker.
    Trooper is bloodied, cursed by Erion, and cannot see Erion.
    Archer is bloodied.
    Soldiers 1, 2, 3, 5, 6 are dead.

Dumar's turn, then Talis's, Seeker's, and Parmenides's.

Map:
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    You know what? I think that's the worst luck any of the enemies have had on attack rolls, ever.
    Last edited by NecroRebel; 2008-09-30 at 09:24 AM.