New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Vega South Campaign

Spoiler
    Show
    Inflict Spells (and thus cure spells against undead) require a touch attack. If the attack fails, the spell is not lost. So please give 3 touch attacks as well.
    Spoiler
    Show

I won something!
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #242
    Barbarian in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+1)[16]
    (1d20+1)[21]
    (1d20+1)[21]
    Three as requested. Melee and Ranged are both the same, makes it easy enough.

EDIT: Holy crud o.o
    15, 20, 20 before mods.
    The dice gods wants this thing dead. XD
    Last edited by ZaneLaCoix; 2008-11-09 at 04:16 AM.
    Characters:

I live on the time zone which is -5 hours to GMT, but I'm a night owl. Beware!

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Roll to confirm criticals then...most spells are double damage on crit.

Venderholfen
    AC: 16
    HP: 9/12

Sticking out his lower jaw, and unconsciously emphasizing his orcish lineage, Venderholfen lowers his spear and with a gutteral cry, charges the spider that stands in opposition.

Charge - (1d20+7)[10]
    Damage - (1d8+4)[11]

Then he'll start slowly sidling his way around to provide a flank for the cleric, while stabbing away.

Attack - (1d20+5)[15]
    Damage - (1d8+4)[5]

Attack - (1d20+5)[9]
    Damage - (1d8+4)[7]
    Life is a gamble, roll the dice. If your life is like cards, rig the deck.

"Boy, sure would be nice if we had some grenades, don'tchya think?" -Jayne
    Greatest number of kills In Valhalla Round 1 with Hsams Goht

4. - Top - End - #244

Spoiler
    Show
    The skeleton makes it to Aetheas' second attack, after which it crumbles. It has the opportunity to hit Venderholfen before going down...

And hits, by the margin provided through charging. The attack deals 3 damage.

150XP for Aetheas and Venderholfen

The spider-skeleton crumbles to dust as Aetheas' infusion of positive energy overpowers the foul creature. Looking around there appear to be the remains of several creatures that did not fair so well.
    A few arrows and a bone short sword are all that still seem usable, until an odd fungal growth catches the eyes of the party. Underneath are what appear to be gold orbs, perfectly smooth and spherical.
    They are clutched by a croutching figure buried under a mound of dirt and mushrooms, who seemed to be rather short for a human or elf (a gnome mayhaps? unlikely, but they do exist).

Apart from the gold orbs, nothing else can be found in this deposit of death. The path extends a bit further before it splits into two lengths. Red immediatly takes one, but the party cannot help look down the other path. About 10 ft from the entrance are two sets of pillars. Another two stand apart 10 ft from the first two. And two beyond them as well. The pattern progresses for as far as the party can see down the path.

Which way does the party take?

Spoiler
    Show
    Yes. A chu as depicted from the LoZ games. One of them gave lantern oil in TP, right?
    Spoiler
    Show

I won something!
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #245

Spoiler
    Show
    Don't Everyone reply at once.
    Spoiler
    Show

I won something!
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #246

Spoiler
    Show
    Hello? Anyone?
    Spoiler
    Show

I won something!
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground

Venderholfen

Venderholfen follows Aetheas, who likely follows the spider.

8. - Top - End - #248

The party makes its way to the roots of another grand tree. The sounds of scurrying can be heard above. Red's body language seems to imply this is it. The leader of the Oranges should be just through the cracked floor above. How does the party prepare itself before entering combat?
    Spoiler
    Show

I won something!
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #249

Spoiler
    Show
    sudo Roll for initiative

The last set of spiders march off, leaving the Duchess of the Orange spiders alone, as the party waltzes in. The beast is larger than a horse and surrounded by webs along the walls, ceiling, and floor.

It is unknown what this room used to be, as it is completely covered in the adornments of the spiders. The staircase spirals up around the edge of the room and leads to a platform in horrible condition. It used to be attached to the tree itself, but has since become anchored by only a small amount of the original flooring and a massive tangle of webs.
    Spoiler
    Show

I won something!
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #250
    Dwarf in the Playground

Siernan
    Warlock

Spoiler
    Show
    Hi all, sorry for the “fashionably late” entry to the game.
    Is the Duchess on the platform or on the ground? Or is it up to our interpretation?
    [roll0](see below post)

Blast it! Why couldn’t they start the ruckus after I was gone? fumed Siernan as she waited in her hiding place. The plan was simple: sneak into the spider lair, take a look around and hopefully pick up unsecured objects, and slink out. Plus, she was curious what a giant spider infestation looked like from the inside. But she wasn’t counting on the lair suddening boiling over with overexcited and hypervigilant spiders. The sounds of battle bothered her too, as she knew there was a big chance of her becoming a casualty of “strike first, ask questions later.” Not that she thought spiders could talk in the first place.

From behind a thick column of spiderweb strands supporting the staircase, Siernan listened as a herd of spiders walked away and risked another peek. Drat! she thought as she quickly ducked down. She had hoped that the biggest, and apparently the leader, of the spiders had left. But at least the odds went up. I wonder if a distraction would work best, she thought as she considered throwing some jangling coins at a corner of the room and running for the entrance. Or I could try tanglefooting it, I suppose. Distracted herself, she does not immediately notice the group entering the room.
    Last edited by Anna_Irving; 2008-11-14 at 02:07 PM.
    Character Sheets:

11. - Top - End - #251
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Let's try this rolling thing again: Initiative - (1d20)[9]
    Character Sheets:

12. - Top - End - #252

Spoiler
    Show
    The spider duchess is on the lower floor. Most exits to the room are straight up and require climbing spiderweb. One exit is from where the primary party came (basement) and another 2 are on the raised platform, though where along this platform is up the party.

edit
    Spoiler
    Show
    It looks something like this:

holy carp this file is big...
    Last edited by neoseph7; 2008-11-14 at 07:03 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

I won something!
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #253

Spoiler
    Show
    Perhaps the barabian would like to attack something? Maybe the healer might cast and hold a cure spell for when the moment calls for it? The initiative order is Siernan followed by the spider. When making fight posts, please state where you are in the room, your current HP, and Current AC. Also, please state several turns worth of attack orders in one post.
    Spoiler
    Show

I won something!
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #254
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Pre-emptive posting, though I'd prefer to wait until Siernan knew what the others are doing.

Siernan
    warlock
    HP: 7
    AC: 12 (flat: 12, touch 10)

I wonder how well spiderweb burns? Siernan continues plotting, hidden behind a giant column of spiderwebs beneath the platform, until something unexpected draws her attention.

Spoiler
    Show
    After the battle begins
    1- action: invocation: breath of night
    2- action: Eldritch Blast the giant spider
    move: try to tiptoe to another area covered by mist
    3- Repeat 2
    Last edited by Anna_Irving; 2008-11-16 at 01:16 PM.
    Character Sheets:

15. - Top - End - #255

Spoiler
    Show
    Tip toeing: move silently at half speed for no penalty on the ms check. Requires a move silently. Just so you know though, spiders have tremor-sense. When the rest of the party takes an action, The first eldritch blast is going to get the duchesses attention, and she is likely going to go find Siernan. Unless of course, the REST OF THE PARTY WERE TO ATTACK IN ANY WAY, SHAPE OR FORM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    In real life campaigns I had a similar problem. I fixed it by implementing free form style, which made the players much more interested in the game. I cannot help notice how badly that backfired for pbp games. I should send pms to lost players to see if they just got sidetracked need encouragement to get back in the game. At the least, I will keep dm-ing as long as there is at least one player. :: Go ahead and roll attack and damage on the eldritch blast.
    Spoiler
    Show

I won something!
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #256
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Well I admit I was assuming (using OOC knowledge) that the barbarian was going to charge and the duchess would focus on the big one in her face instead of the long range attacks. But if party does fail to attack Siernan's going to have to get through it on her own, I suppose.

attack - (1d20+2)[15]
    damage - (1d6)[3]
    MoveSilent= +2 (DM roll)

Spoiler
    Show
    I think free form might be problematic to run as a pbp game because of it requires a little more thought & effort from players than the more structured games. This may be more work than some people are prepared for, especially people who take quick breaks during work to post who basically want to see what happened and then react. I'm not saying free form can't work, just that it takes a different sort of player than most people frequenting the pbp boards. I would make a suggestion that next time you clearly advertise that it's free form style to attract people who like & enjoy that type of game AND to warn people who don't to stay away.
    Character Sheets:

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ogre in the Playground

Venderholfen

HP: 9/12 (11/14 in rage)
    AC: 16 (14 in rage)
    Saves: F +2, R +3, W +1.
    Round 1/8 of Rage

Seeing the leader of thier foes arrayed before him, Venderholfen unleashes the beast within, and without considering the consequences too much, he bellows his rage, and charges with his newfound spear!

Attack - (1d20+10)[14]
    Damage - (2d8+8)[19]

18. - Top - End - #258

Siernan's attack hits true, and though she knows her silent crawl was less than a whisper, especially with the calamity outside, the Duchess still begins looking up at where Siernan is.

The barbarian charging the spider from below draws her attention, but her shrieks summon the trailing end of her forces to march back in.

Spoiler
    Show
    A patrol of small spiders (4 of them) are climbing down the web and will likely be able to strike at siernan in two rounds. Incidentally, spider webbing of this size is highly flamable...

The rest of the party gets to be NPCs until they decide to get back in the game. If no one starts to reply, I may have to recruit players. Hopefully I can still use the old character sheets and not have to re-explain everything.

edit
    Spoiler
    Show
    I was ninja'd! What were the odds of that? At this moment no less?!
    Last edited by neoseph7; 2008-11-17 at 01:46 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

I won something!
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #259

Spoiler
    Show
    My previous post didn't take into account Venderholfen's Raging Charge.

The spear impales the creature bewteen all 8 of her dark eyes, killing her in one clean stroke. Her attempt to bite at Venderholfen during his charge, however, hits him square in the gut, and his abdomen spews blood with the force of a waterfall. She shudders as the last dregs of consciousness drain from her and she is reduced of her lucidty in her surroundings. Her eyes remain open and her jaw clenches tight as rigor mortis sets in.

The sounds from the Duchess no longer peircing the air around them, the party can hear the battle waging outside. They can also hear the angry cries and clackity clack of small spiders swarming their position.

edit:
    Spoiler
    Show
    There are still monsters about. The encounter has not ended yet... The spiderlings are on the same initiative as the queen. After the round with the eldritch blast and spear charge, it will be two rounds until small spiders reach Siernan. Every round, 4 more come in.
    Last edited by neoseph7; 2008-11-17 at 02:00 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

I won something!
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #260
    Dwarf in the Playground

Siernan
    warlock

Siernan takes a moment to assess the situation. "Well met, and thank you!" she stage-whispers, "but we've yet to escape the danger! There are more little spiders coming this way. We must leave immediately!" She hurries out into the open and sees the bleeding barbarian. "Let's stop the blood quickly and move, shall we? I saw a way out from the platform above us."

Spoiler
    Show
    If Aetheas will magically heal Venderholfen, Siernan will hurry up the platform and keep watch.

If he's going to bind his wounds, Siernan will attempt to assist.
    Last edited by Anna_Irving; 2008-11-17 at 03:15 PM.
    Character Sheets:

21. - Top - End - #261
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Forgot my rolls. What's the rules for secret rolls again?
    Assuming she's playing sentry:
    spot - (1d20+2)[15]
    listen - (1d20+2)[17]

Assuming she's aiding the heal:
    heal - (1d20+1)[16]
    Character Sheets:

22. - Top - End - #262

Spoiler
    Show
    Duh! I forgot how much damage the spider dealt. 10 piercing (or is it bludgeoning for a bite? Doesn't really matter). Exits to the room are below leading to the tunnel the party came from, up via the spider webs, and two carved paths that lead (presumably) outside, one of which Siernan is likely familiar with (she would especially be familiar with whether or not more spiders were going to come from that way).

once the queen duchess stops twitching, red star begins clawing open her abdomen and retrieves an organ no one is particularly familiar with (but it likely has something to do with her web sac). Upon securing the organ, red will return via the way she came.

Siernan sees without any trouble the swarm approaching her and her new comrades. She also hears them clearly. Of interest is the sound outside the tree: The distinctive gait of a biped that happens to have thunder sandals while walking? Whatever the source of the loud THUDDING, it's getting closer.
    Last edited by neoseph7; 2008-11-17 at 06:33 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

I won something!
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ogre in the Playground

Venderholfen

HP: 1/14

Round 2/8 of Rage

Listen - (1d20+5)[15]

24. - Top - End - #264

Spoiler
    Show
    Venderholfen recognizes the sound as that from the golem. What does the party do now? (Your options are (a) fight the horde descending upon you for n turns (b) escape via 1 of 4 exits or (c) something I haven't thought of). If you want to do something weird, simply state what that something is and what you expect the result to be.
    Last edited by neoseph7; 2008-11-17 at 09:55 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

I won something!
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #265
    Barbarian in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    In lieu of missing characters, why not distribute the remaining amongst us three PCs? I don't mind any character, nor do I have a preference. The others may, however. If none hold any preference, then why not you, the DM, give out the characters via magical DM powers?
    Granted, with that option, we would probably have to recreate them under our own accounts on Myth-weavers, TTW, or what ever is the preference.
    If this option is given, I have a few ideas beyond the scope of my own healer's mindset.

[Aetheas]
    HP: 10/10
    AC: 12
    Saves: F +4, R +1, W +5

For the moment, the healer took up a defensive with the multitude of spiders around. It was not until one of his allies became clearly in danger of help that he dashed over to Vander, channeling a bit of positive energy into the man.

Spoiler
    Show
    Full defensive, or defensive actions with other actions.
    (1d8+5)[7] The last Cure Light Wounds.
    Last edited by ZaneLaCoix; 2008-11-17 at 10:41 PM.
    Characters:

I live on the time zone which is -5 hours to GMT, but I'm a night owl. Beware!

26. - Top - End - #266

Spoiler
    Show
    The characters lost are the barbarian Kurth, druid Kenner and bard Palin (I just noticed that particular name. hmm. Interesting). If someone wants to take their stats and play with them, I have no objections.
    Spoiler
    Show

I won something!
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #267
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I personally can't play multiple characters at once

Siernan
    warlock
    HP: 7
    AC: 12
    Save: F+1 R+0 W+3

The warlock furrows her brows as she hears something unpleasant outside. "There's something BIG and HEAVY outside, coming this way! I don't think my way out is good anymore. The little spiders will be here in a moment. What about that red one that came with you, can we follow it?" Siernan is on her feet and ready to run.

Spoiler
    Show
    Plan B: click her heels 3 times and chant "there's no place like home, there's no place like... HECK NO!"
    Character Sheets:

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ogre in the Playground

Venderholfen

"Statue comes. We go?" Asks Venderholfen simply, as he readies himself to defend the party.

Readied Action:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Attack - (1d20+8)[28] Damage - (2d8+8)[18] Double Damage if the spiders charge, triple on a crit.

29. - Top - End - #269

The party seems to want to flee. As they swarm, the first spider feels Venderholfen's might, and crumples to the ground. The rest hesitate as the party makes their escape.

Running down the tunnel after Red, the ground and walls shake with each step from the stone golem, dislodging dust and dirt into the air. Just as the party makes its way past the fork, a loud CRACK pierces the air as the branch beneath the golem gives way. A massive thud and the golem falls waist deep into the tunnel right before the party. It attempts to walk, but cannot get very far. You hear the battle rage as Orange spider after spider swarms their stationary target, each massive swing of his arms crushing the arachnid infestation.

Immediatly ahead of the party is the golem, blocking the way with its massive legs and lower body. Dirt and stone have filled the spaces it occupies now from when it attempted to move. Behind the party are two paths, the one with smooth columns from before, and the path to the great tree, from which a swarm of angry spiders fills the tunnel, blocking out the light from said path.

Spoiler
    Show
    The path the party gets to take continues on for a while. If they choose to do so, however, they can bottleneck the spiders and attempt to fight them. Conversely, the party can cause a cave in by strength checking two parallel pillars, thuis ending the encounter. The choice is yours.
    Spoiler
    Show

I won something!
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #270
    Dwarf in the Playground

Siernan
    warlock

"The way forward's blocked. One path behind us leads back to the horde. The other path is unknown to me but at least it's free from anything threatening. I suggest we take the way with the columns, and collapse the tunnel behind us so they can't follow."

Spoiler
    Show
    Assuming the party agrees to this crazy plan:
    [roll=Int check to see if Siernan can spot the easiest columns to break]1s20+4[/roll]
    Str check for column breaking - (1d20+2)[3]
    Character Sheets: