New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Wheel of Time: The kingdom of Shadows

((I'm out at the moment, but here's the best reply I can do right now))

Trollocs: most of you havn't seen them before. Those who have would think they'd likely just kill everyone in an uncoordinated attack on everything... or they'd surgically destroy everything. Trollocs are an army of boogeymen. Likely everyone here, being drunk and unprepared, is going to die horribly on the end of curved serated sword blades.
    Spoiler
    Show
    think Serenity: they'll rape you, kill you, skin you and eat you, hopefully in that order! One more thing: an army would be way more than you apprentices could deal with.

Vera: You can sense her only faintly. She's never easy to locate with the Source, even when you know where she is.
    Grrr. Arrrgh.
    Spoiler: DON'T LOOK! IT'S A TRAP!
    Show
    Spoiler: DON'T DO IT!
    Show
    Spoiler: LAST CHANCE TO LOOK AWAY!!!
    Show

Awwwwww, that's just... Well, I did warn you.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

Sarinen stares at Ishigari for a moment, nodding and heading upstairs. She might have her sword with her, but she didn't have her shield. Or her armor, though she isn't sure whether she ought to take the time to put it on.

Unfortunately, she's still wearing skirts, which is a downright terrible idea in a fight and makes wearing armor all but impossible. She changes as quickly as she can, donning the armor under her shirt so as not to draw too many eyes.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sarinen is donning her armor hastily, which means her AC would only be 16. If she hasn't heard anything new from outside or downstairs in about a minute, she'll take some time to position the straps correctly (i.e. don it properly), and be down three minutes later.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

Jianna walks back down, clutching her quarterstaff in both hands, while silently asking herself why she's not hiding under her bed. The answer is not very pleasant. She'd rather see them coming and die on her feet, than be dragged from her hiding place and stuffed into a trolloc's cookpot while possibly still alive.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jak, having no more weapons than his humble belt knife, and no armor heavier than the clothes on his back, spends the time the others are using to get ready to think a bit about the situation. If we think they are here just for slaughter, then they will eventually come to the inn, and this is the best place to make our stand, he thinks. But if that is the case, we're all likely to die in the end, as they will overrun us with numbers. The inn will be surrounded and they'll break down the back door and we'll end up fighting on two fronts. Our only hope is that they are here for a reason, like I think they are, and they won't come get us, so we can fight them on our terms.

At that point, he notices that Jianna has returned from upstairs, looking absolutely terrified at the prospect of facing Trollocs. Poor girl, he thinks. Out of all of us, she's probably the least prepared for this... He walks over to her and puts a hand on her shoulder, putting a smile on his face. "Don't worry," he says. "We'll be fine. We have three Borderlanders with us; this is probably just business as usual for them. And nobody's going to die if I can help it!"

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

Jianna smiles weakly at Jak's attempt at encouragement, but it quickly fades. "I've heard stories. And read books. I know what they can do..." She turns a pair of wide, frightened eyes at Jak. "You...You're a healer, right? I heard you say. Can I ask you a favor? If they come in here...If it gets bad...Could you..I mean...Do you have anything in your healer kit? So that it won't hurt..." She shakes her head a bit. "No...that's cowardly, ain't it..."

6. - Top - End - #156
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jak looks puzzled for a moment at Jianna's request. She wasn't just asking me to... he cuts off that train of thought, and decides to attempt to cheer her up again. "It won't come to that," he replies. "See, we can turn that door into a death zone. Just three people can hold it against any number of Trollocs. We set up another three people at the back door, and have a couple watch the windows. Eventually they'll get tired of breaking their teeth against us and leave. And all we have to do is convince a couple of the other fighters here to join us." He turns to Ishigari and asks, "Speaking of which, where are the rest of your friends? Having even a couple more tough fighters with us could make a world of difference."

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

Sarinen: You manage to put on your armor hastily ((do you not have any trousers at all?)) and then discover nothing yet has happened. You have enough time to put on your armour all the way.
    Grrr. Arrrgh.
    Show
    Show
    Show

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

Minutes pass, Sarinen comes down ((change of clothes to suit the armor? You've got loads of time)), and Noal still doesn't see anything. Everyone else arrives back, and still no attack has come.

The mood in the bar is still good, in that everyone's started drinking and singing. One of the patrons sits next to Jianna; a portly little guy with chubby cheeks and a gray mop of hair. You're not sad, are you love? Too pretty a lass to be sad on a night like this. Someone break your heart?
    Grrr. Arrrgh.
    Show
    Show
    Show

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ogre in the Playground

Jianna turns to the portly man, starting to feel safer now that nothing's happening. Perhaps Jak was wrong, and there were no Trollocs. After all, what would they be doing here? Everyone knew they roamed around in the Blight. "No...I'm just tired, I guess."

10. - Top - End - #160
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jak, on the other hand, becomes more tense as minutes pass with no sign of the disgusting bestial creatures. I'm right, then, and they have a reason for being here, one which might be more dangerous than if they simply killed us, he thinks. He flops down in a nearby chair and puts his hand to his forehead, kneading his temples to help dispel a rising headache. He mutters under his breath, "Or maybe there was only the one? It didn't seem like it, but maybe it was just my fear playing tricks on me..."

Why can't I believe that? he thinks as he orders some tea.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ishigari Narshima

Ishigari nods at Noal and then looks thoughtfully at Kireyn’s statement that she is not a full sister. He turns and looks sadly at the common room before turning back to the Ogier and the young woman and speaking once more in a hushed tone.

"It is unlikely we can save everyone here if this is a true raid, and I am doing naught but fooling myself if I think otherwise. It may be possible for us to leave from the Kitchen entrance if we make our way there calmly, though without my armor I hope that we do not run into Trollocs on the street."

He looks at Jianna as she comes back down, the feeling of responsibility washing over him once more, and he looks back outside. Seeing nothing, a frown creases his brow and he turns back to the group and whispers once more.

"I do not know what the Shadowspawn are doing, I would have expected them to attack by now."

He looks at Kireyn, instinctively trusing her Borderland hertige and the knowledge her serpent ring represents, whatever she might say, before continuing.

"This kind of discipline does not come to them naturally, at least not with Halfmen leading them. If we are going to leave, I suggest that we do so soon, and quietly. If we are to make our stand here, then we need to get the warriors in her out of their cups and standing too the windows."
    Damn I like my Ceikatar!

Spoiler
    Show

- I still worship you TSO

Spoiler
    Show

*wanders out whistling All Along the Watchtower cover*

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!!

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

Noal: You keep looking out and seeing nothing. Just as the thought begins driving you mad, you see something in the street not too far away, a bit of movement over and over. You could get a better look if you got closer, and out of this doorway, to see around the corner of the building.

Ishigari and everyone else who might not yet have their stuff: I don't believe we decided where everyone had their equipment. I assumed you'd be carrying it. The Inns are generally in the same area, so you could move to them if you want; whether you leave the Inn or not is your choice (ie: steal the weapons of others...)
    Grrr. Arrrgh.
    Show
    Show
    Show

13. - Top - End - #163
    Orc in the Playground

Noal slips out to see what had caught his attention, but first with caution he looked around the corner to make sure that there was nothing there to surprise them.
    Spoiler
    Show

Cael The Fall, The Found, The Departed New Guard
    Mr. E The Guard
    Ozzy the Otter SCIENCE!
    Zzhefan Tallymen
    Mooageddon L.O.S.E.
    Sara Martins The Found

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Kireyn nods slightly to Ishigari in agreement with his words, her mouth twisting slightly in unhappiness, but whispers,
    "I doubt the folk here will notice if we leave quietly by any door, thanks to Mas' generosity, and we've seen no watchers. Now -"

Kireyn sees Noal's tufted ears prick up. As he takes his first step away from the door, she glances back over the room and tries to catch Mas, Sarinen and Daran's eyes, beckoning them toward the door. She looks at Ishigari and murmurs, "- I think the decision has just been made."

It might be best if Jianna and Jak stay back. But the more blades, the better, if Noal has seen Shadowspawn sign.

Kireyn waits for the Ogier to clear the door and then follows cautiously outside, slipping her Great Serpent ring back into her belt pouch as she moves. She maintains her embrace of the Power, letting the sweetness of saidar be her shield against fear.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    I must not argue on the Internet.
    Internet argument is the mind-killer.
    It is the little death that brings total aggravation.
    I will face my annoyance.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    When it has gone past I will turn my inner eye to see its path.
    Where the irritation has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daran Alema

She could be out for a walk, unaware. Passing by open alleyways, glancing up at the moon every so often with a soft smile. Letting her attention wander. And they could be waiting in the shadows all the while; all slaver and fur and the sick-mad eyes of terrified cows.

Maybe she'll hear something. A pebble scuffling underfoot. A low, hungry bark. The whuff of steamy breath that trickles out through their noses. And she'll turn. but it won't matter, 'cause they'll be on her and...

Light, Daran. Would you bloody well shut up?

The boy shakes his head and says something indistinct before turning and dizzily heading off towards his room.

Just because Jak thought he saw something--something utterly ridiculous, at that--and everyone's spooked, you shouldn't fly into a panic like some...some kid who's heard too many trolloc stories from his older sister.

All the same, Daran goes to his room and begins to rummage through the heavy wooden chest at the side of his bed. He removes from it a chainmail coat, marked discreetly as the property of Tar Valon, plus a sling, a pouch full of pebbles, and a hard oak club. Stripping quickly, he shrugs into the chainmail, then re-dons his robe over it. It doesn't completely cover the glint of metal, but it makes it less conspicuous.

Daran tucks the sling, pouch, and club under one arm. That leaves one thing still in the chest. Atop a stack of robes is a longsword, resting quietly in its sheath.

Not this time. I'm not going to frighten the patrons here. At least, not any more than I have already. A rueful grimace slides across his face. You're staying behind. Turning around, Daran marches back downstairs.

Kireyn:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Of the two options fireinthedust gave us for our traveling arrangements, I think that posing as a couple has a lot more potential. Daran would be way more comfortable if they were pretending to be brother and sister, and anything that makes Daran uncomfortable is good for character development Since he's completely crushed on Vera Sedai, he'll be doing his best to vigorously deny that he and Kireyn are together without compromising his cover. Also, given that Vera is an Aes Sedai and all, she probably has some inkling of his crush and has assigned them the role of a newly wedded couple to to try and defuse it.

However, if you're uncomfortable at all with that or if Kireyn would kick up a mighty fit about having to be pretend married to Daran, I'm also totally okay with having them pose as siblings.

Thought I'd check with you in advance before working it into one of my posts.
    Last edited by Kuma Da; 2008-09-22 at 12:43 AM.
    Freelance writer and editor, at your service.

http://www.fictionpress.com/~solemncoyote

16. - Top - End - #166
    Dwarf in the Playground

As Jak notices everyone preparing to leave the inn, he stands up from his chair. Canceling his order for tea, he walks over to the group preparing to leave. "I'm going, too," he says to Kireyn and Ishigari. "I may not be a warrior or Aes Sedai," he almost whispers the latter title, looking uncomfortable as he says it, "but if one of you gets hurt, which is likely, you'd regret not taking me with you." With that, he begins striding purposely towards the door, his hand reaching for his belt knife, hidden under his tunic.

I'm the one who started this whole mess, and now I'll be damned if I'll let them leave me behind for the finish, he thinks, his midlander determination (some might call it stubbornness) calling for him to finish what he started.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

Noal "slips" out the door and around the corner. No shadowspawn attack him. Nothing in the trees beside the outhouse.

Coming around the corner, Noal sees a form standing in the middle of the street, spinning sharp lengths in each hand.
    A small girl is skipping in the middle of the street, a long stick with a short ribbon in each hand. She walks and skips, stands in place and twirls the sticks.

The other houses nearby have lights, and you can hear music coming from the other Inns. Everyone seems to still be having a good time tonight.

Daran and Kireyn:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I thought Daran was buying the trinket for Kireyn! Gosh, I totally missed that one. huh.

Jak:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Could you do me the huge favor of choosing a color for Jak's dialogue? It's easier for me to read it quickly when I've got a dozen posts if I don't have to pick out every non-colored line of speech. Thanks! I recomend maroon, as it's like red but tainted (reminiscent of Saidin!)
    Grrr. Arrrgh.
    Show
    Show
    Show

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Kireyn nods to Jak as she turns to follow Noal out into the darkness. Her face is sombre as she murmurs in reply, "Your skills and your courage will be most welcome. Peace and the Light favor us all."

Stepping out into the street after Noal, she startles momentarily, but then relaxes on seeing that the movement is just a skipping child. As she looks around at the peaceful scene, she begins to feel relief well up in her: probably Jak was just mistaken, after all. How would Trollocs come so far south, and why would they strike this small Altaran town?

But what could he have seen, that even an Andoran could mistake for a Trolloc? He sounded so certain.

Kireyn steps aside to let her armed and armored friends leave the inn, and glances around casually. She does not release her hold on saidar.

Is it normal here, for a child to be skipping alone in the street after dark?

[OOC: I congratulate our GM on seriously spooking the party ]

Daran:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm fine with what you suggested, it makes sense, and Kireyn really isn't the sort to kick up a fuss. Hmmm... given she mentioned Daran to the rest of the party as a "friend" earlier, this could lead to some amusing misconceptions

I envisage their current friendship as fairly sibling-like - Kireyn is a few years older than Daran and he's still pretty gawky, I think she probably treats him much like a slightly younger brother (although only slightly younger - she doesn't think of him as a kid). I'd be happy to modify that, though, if you prefer.

Of course, all this presumes my 5-HP Initiate survives her first Trolloc encounter (or pseudo-Trolloc encounter, depending)
    Last edited by Ifni; 2008-09-22 at 02:14 AM. Reason: Ninja'ed by the GM
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

As she finishes dressing and still no outcry is raised, Sarinen resists the temptation to. It wasn't good to be too tense whenever there might be danger—it tired you out—but allowing yourself to relax too much was equally dangerous. Discipline, she reminds herself firmly, hanging her shield on her back for now. You're forgetting discipline, Sarinen Casfal. Jumping at shadows or not, this is good for you.

She comes back down the stairs, and looks quite different, short hair bound back and dressed in trousers and shirt, with a sword at her belt and a shield at her back; overall, she looks ready to travel. A hurried glance around the common room confirms that the others are no longer there, though, and she hurries to the doorway, wondering if she took too long in arming herself.

Fortunately, she catches sight of somebody rounding the corner, and hurries to follow. Noal's huge silhouette makes it clear she hasn't lost them. "Where are we going?" she asks in a low voice, sparing only a glance for the child; the oddity of a girl being out alone at night doesn't register with her, only the fact that she's not a threat.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

Jianna follows the others outside. They were the only ones she knew, at least sort of knew, around here, and she didn't want to be left behind on her own.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ishigari Narshima

Ishigari turns at Noal's sudden movement as Kireyn’s sentence tapers off and murmers to himself.

"So it would seem."

With a brief look around the room to see if anyone is marking their exit, he nods to Jak and gesturing for him to follow steps out into the cool night air. Once satisfied that no one inside will immediately notice it, his right hand snakes over his shoulder and grasps the hilt of one of his swords. He draws the blade as quietly as possible and then lets it hang point down by his side as he moves after the Ogier.

Already uncomfortably aware of the number of warriors in the group and his own lack of armor, Ishigari points towards one of the inns further down the street with his blade in response to Sarinen’s question and whispers to the group.

"I am not sure where the Trollocs have gone or what they are hoping to achieve, but I can see the inn where my employer, myself and the other guards are quartered. If we have time, I would prefer to recover my armor at the very least. We should also try and get that young girl to seek safety."

The last is accompanied by a worried glance at the cute young girl, and Ishigari is obviously distressed about leaving her to die, despite his previous statement about abandoning the patrons of the inn.

So young, with too much life ahead of her... Why is the night still so calm? Surely they should have attacked by now.
    Damn I like my Ceikatar!

Spoiler
    Show

- I still worship you TSO

Spoiler
    Show

*wanders out whistling All Along the Watchtower cover*

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!!

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

Jianna steps quietly up beside Ishigari, speaking softly:"I'll go get the girl. She won't be scared of me, but men with weapons might frighten her...If she screams, then maybe....things....will get drawn here." She starts heading for the young girl in the street, using her quarterstaff as a walking staff.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

The little girl is playing unconcernedly in the street, by the light of one of the town's lamps. Her parents must be inside the Inn nearby her position. Interestingly enough it's Ishigari's Inn, where his belongings are.

A pair of lovers has come out of the second Inn while the rest of you are puzzling over the girl. They go around back of that building, unaware of your party's presence. The boy nuzzles the girl's ear, she grins, and pulls her lover around the corner and into her embrace. There is a faint gasp, but the corner of the building hides them.

Jak:
    Spoiler
    Show
    ((GM rolls d20's for the group. huh.)) There is a temptation to think you made a mistake, but just as you think to avert your gaze from the lovers you see it: a dark cloaked figure emerge from the shadows behind the lovers. You can see it more clearly than when it was in the street, its hands are pale white though its strangely armored clothes are darkest black. It draws two longswords and, before thrusting, stares up at you and grins; the mouth is filled with sharp teeth, and there is a jagged red scar across its lips. Its face is white under the cloak, but without eyes; the look fills you with abject terror for a moment, slowing your reaction. The thrust is sudden and brutal, and you hear two gasps from the lovers as their bodies stiffen and twitch.
    Grrr. Arrrgh.
    Show
    Show
    Show

24. - Top - End - #174

Daran Alema

Daran follows the group out of the inn, keeping a hand on his cudgel. Something about him reminds you faintly of a sheep dog; circling around the edges of the pack and staring intently into the darkness.

Rolls:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spot: (1d20)[7]+7
    Listen: (1d20)[5]+5

...wow, what were the odds of that?

Kireyn:
    Spoiler
    Show
    That's perfect, and it makes a lot of sense for them to have a brother/sister sort of friendship. I think Kireyn reminds him a bit of his older sister, Jonei Alema.

Also, I wouldn't worry too much about surviving this encounter. Daran's got a strong protective streak, and a trolloc attack on someone he thinks of as family hits just about every plot-button needed to trigger it.
    Last edited by Kuma Da; 2008-09-22 at 11:01 AM.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground

(Did Jianna see it to? She was already heading for the little girl.)

26. - Top - End - #176
    Dwarf in the Playground

(OOC: Apparently, Jak is the most perceptive member of the group... Obviously it's because he's the most on edge after seeing the Trolloc.)

Jak himself lets out a gasp as he sees the strange, obviously nonhuman creature. He tries to alert the others in time, but by the time he says, "Over there... In the alley..." and points to the creature, the grisly scene is already complete. In order to make sure somebody sees, he grabs the shirt of the person nearest him and gives a tug, without removing his eyes from the creature.

Spoiler
    Show
    At this point, everyone gets to retry their Spot checks with a +2 bonus, because Jak is pointing out the source of the disturbance, but if they do, it eats up their move action for the round... If the thing hasn't pulled a Batman by the time they look. That would be quite the feat, though, considering Jak's looking right at it.
    Last edited by bahamut920; 2008-09-22 at 12:51 PM.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

28. - Top - End - #178
    Dwarf in the Playground

(OOC: You seem to have forgotten the +2 bonus I'm giving. Either that, or you forgot your own +2... Your total modifier should be +4.)

29. - Top - End - #179

Daran Alema

A hand comes out of nowhere, seizing Daran's collar and re-orienting him. He stumbles, windmilling his arms, and at the same time finds himself staring into a dark alley.

Rolls:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spot: (1d20)[20]+9
    Listen: (1d20)[10]+7

okay, I think I got it that time...
    Last edited by Kuma Da; 2008-09-22 at 02:19 PM.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Kireyn jumps at Jak's gasp and takes a hurried step away from the alleyway at his words. She's evidently not quite as calm as she's trying to appear. She peers into the shadows of the alley and draws deeply on the Power, taking a quick glance around for any buildings that look more secure than the inn, in case they need to retreat to a better position.

Rolls:
    Spoiler
    Show

Spot (1d20+4)[7]
    Listen (1d20+4)[19]

If I see the creature,
    Knowledge(Shadow) (1d20+7)[20]

EDIT: Evidently, Kireyn's attempt to look in three directions at once meant she didn't see much of anything in the alley.
    Last edited by Ifni; 2008-09-22 at 02:45 PM.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show