New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Call of Cthulhu: The Deepest Darkness

Robert Talbot

Robert gets up quickly at the noise, looking out the nearest window or door to try and see what's happening or anything unusual.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot Hidden - (1d100)[84] [45]

2. - Top - End - #122
    Bugbear in the Playground

Ian McKinnon

Seeing Tim dash for the door, Ian dropped the bill for both of them on the table with a tip to round it out and followed at a pace that wouldn't trip him up.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Pixie in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Edward Carnby, Diner

Edward stared out the door. Was someone breaking into someone's car? Edward didn't have many valuables in his own car, and all his case files were at his office. But the car itself was a bit of a treasure to him. This wasn't going to be a fun stay, he thought, thinking back to his earlier discoveries. "I hope they stick together." Edward said, referring to the people who just ran out towards the commotion. As worried as he was, he stuck to his own advice and stay with those who lagged behind.

"Well, let's hurry. 'Don't really wanna stick around here. Besides, you'll really want to hear what I've gotta say. He stood back, allowing Abigail and Alex (maybe?) room to step out.
    Edward Carnby - Private I, destined to die.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Halfling in the Playground

Abigail Higgons

"What in the Sam Hell?"

As the small diner explodes into a blur of activity, Abbey stands up again, careful to avoid the men rushing out into the street.

I knew I should've just gone back to the hotel to catch some shut-eye...

"I'm all ears, Eddy my man. Let's go see if everyone is alright and then get someplace quiet."

This time its Abbey who offers Alex her arm as they walk quickly out of the diner.
    "Everyone may be ordinary, but they're not normal."
    — Haruki Murakami

5. - Top - End - #125

Goblin

[spoiler]
    Oh yeah, before Lycan gets back I should just make some rolls for searching the car in case theres anything not immediately obvious. Drive Auto is to know if the cars been subtly tampered with, in case thats required. Electrical repair might be better, which would be against 10 instead

Spot Hidden - (d100)[33] against 65
    Drive Auto - (d100)[11] aginst 20

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Plaza

Charlie examines his car, and discovers that the front tires have been slashed quite violently. It would be unsafe to attempt driving with them. Nothing else is wrong with the car on the outside. Getting in and revving the car up, he discovers that it still runs quite well.

Spoiler
    Show
    Drive Auto rolls in that car will be reduced to half the driver's skill level.
    Anemoia: Nostalgia for a time you've never known.

7. - Top - End - #127

Ian McKinnon

Ian caught up to the others as they inspected Charlie's car. "That's not good," he said, mostly to himself. Scratching his chin, he walked over to his own car to check its tires.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm guessing inspecting a tire to see if it's been slashed doesn't actually require a spot check...

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Plaza

Ian's tires are still in good condition.

9. - Top - End - #129

Ian McKinnon

Shrugging, Ian said, "Well it looks like they've only taken a disliking to one of our cars so far. Come on Tim, let's see if our room is ready."

10. - Top - End - #130
    Troll in the Playground

Robert Kane

Kane frowns, "Well, I suppose we'll have to see what kind of hospitality they offer... since it has become mandatory."
    Show me a hero, and I'll write you a tragedy.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Timothy

Timothy gives the cars a confused look. The natives aren't friendly, but they don't seem to be running us out of town. If that was the goal, why slash the tires. He shrugged. Or maybe most of the natives want us gone and there is just one luntic running around.
    Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Robert Talbot

Robert walks out to take a quick look over the cars as they seem to've attracted the attention of the rest of the group.

"That's definetly odd...Perhaps things will be clearer after a good night's rest? I doubt we'll find whoever did it tonight, or get any closer to achieving our aims here..."

13. - Top - End - #133

Goblin

Charlie curses vulgarly under his breath.

This isn't good. It looks like someone objects to us snooping around here.

He pauses for a moment, then starts again, more enthusiastic

At least things are getting interesting.

He picks up his belongings out of the boot, and goes to head back to the motel.
    Last edited by Project_Mayhem; 2008-09-23 at 01:30 PM.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Troll in the Playground

Robert Kane

Kane takes his key from the desk clerk. "Thank you, my good man... I trust everything is good. Oh, and you were misinformed, the food in the diner was excellent tonight. I particularly enjoyed the service, the waitress there has such a friendly disposition." He turns to look at the rest of the group. "Did anyone need to double up with me?"
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Monday 8:00 PM, Innsmouth

Motel

The Investigators leave the Diner and head over to the motel after having a bit of car trouble. They find the motel's front desk empty - the manager seems to have retired to his office. The Investigators head upstairs, and go into room 2B in order to hear what Edward has to say.

The room is rather dull and dreary. Old green wallpaper barely clings to the walls, and the ceiling plaster is cracked and moldy. The carpet stinks, and appears to have several less-than-visually-appealing stains set in it. The window is a simple 4-squared glass pane, one of which is cracked, and there's a bit of a draft coming from it. The two side doors are in good condition, although the one to room 2B seems to be sitting on loose hinges.

As far as furniture goes, there are two beds - small and uncomfortable looking, with plain white sheets and lumpy pillows - in the center of the room, with two nightstands side-by-side between them. There's a small desk near the entrance door, and two chairs pushed in to it. There's a large bookshelf forced up against the wall to the right, and its actually partially blocking door to room 2D. There's also a cabinet across the room by the window... the clasp is broken, and no matter what you do, the doors will slowly creak back open in an annoying manner. The room is also lit by a dull electrical light, although candles would probably do a much better job, even if it were still on...

16. - Top - End - #136
    Pixie in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Edward checked the locks again, the third time since they got here. "All the locks look good enough. Oughta hold...

He turned back to the group, pulling out a chair to sit on. He sat quietly, trying to think of how to phrase what he had to say. He tapped his forefingers together, unintentionally letting the tension build. He whispered quietly, Alright, first things first. No one ever goes anywhere alone. I took a peak at the ledger that guy keeps for this place. Our boy Luke checked in a few days ago. Never checked out. I looked back a few weeks, mostly anyone who stayed here never officially checked out.

He paused, then pointed at the ceiling, a simple gesture that he remembered something. And in the general store... I swear, that guy was hiding something. I think he's hiding something in his basement. I think this whole bloody town is in on it. Something is wrong here. Very wrong. But we don't have enough to bring in some coppers on it. We gotta find Luke quick, then get the hell outta here...
    And there isn't a single bloody smoke in this goddamned town.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Troll in the Playground

Robert Kane

Kane frowns, "Interesting... down in the basement... perhaps we can get a look in there tonight."
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

18. - Top - End - #138
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Robert Talbot

"They never checked out? Maybe someone should look around here, 'getting lost' and seeing if we can find anything of those previous guests'. But yes, something is definetly off about this place, and from what happened with the car, they really have no love for outsiders - it may've been a warning shot to try and get us to leave as soon as it was fixed..."

19. - Top - End - #139

Goblin

Charlie looks around, listening to the others

OK. First, if you wanted smokes Ed, I've got several here. He hands his ciggy case over, first taking and lighting one himself.

Second, if what your sayings accurate, then this could just have got potentially dangerous. Is anyone here packing heat? I've got my Colt, and more importantly a license to carry it. Finally, I second the motion that we should have a snoop around tonight. And I volunteer.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Timothy

Where do you want to search? The motel? General store?

21. - Top - End - #141
    Troll in the Playground

Robert Kane

Kane looks thoughtful, "I don't have a gun, but I would be happy to accompany you. Nobody should travel alone... as we said."
    Last edited by Wiz; 2008-09-30 at 11:00 AM.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

22. - Top - End - #142

Ian McKinnon

"I brought my Colt from France. If it's that important, I can drive back to Boston tomorrow and pick up my Springfield as well. It's clear the locals don't like outsiders, but I'm not sure all of us poking around on the first night is a good idea. And I'm definitely not the most... mobile person at night. My foot makes it easy to get tripped up in the dark. If you really think it's dangerous enough to warrant taking weapons out, then we should set up a bastion here. A place to run TO if things drop in the pot. Whoever stays back can sleep in turns. How does that sound?" Ian said.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Pixie in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

"Ah, thanks Charlie. I owe you a drink when were all done with this." He said, taking the cigarette and putting it in his lips. He opened the side of his coat, revealing the revolver in it's holster in his armpit. "I got my .39, but I don't think shooting up small town USA is really the best idea. We don't have much in our favor here, and I think this xenophobic little town will more then quickly help one another out. I don't about you fellas, but I'm not looking for a life sentence here."

And if were gonna go sneak out, we have to be careful; That guys door was open on the way in. If he's even still hanging around there, it'd be an open ear to the front door.

24. - Top - End - #144

Goblin

Woah there Charlie laughs.

I'm not suggesting turning the place into a shooting gallery at all ... Hell, I hate having to use this. But, if things get ugly, it's worth having a deterrent of some kind.

He stops and thinks

Now I think it might be worth using a decoy. Maybe have some people go for a harmless stroll, and attract attention, while meanwhile, somebody else does some snooping. What dyou think?

25. - Top - End - #145
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Robert Talbot

Robert sighs and shakes his head.
    "Can we please avoid using those things? The Lord's Book does try to remind us all not to kill people and I doubt he intended even injuring others as an alternative... Shot's in the air I suppos eI can't really object to if they're neccessaary..."
    He still doesn't look easy at the thought though.

26. - Top - End - #146

Goblin

Well Father, I guess that puts you in the decoy boat chuckles Charlie.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Troll in the Playground

Robert Kane

Kane shrugs, "We can decoy together, if that's what you need us for."
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

28. - Top - End - #148
    Halfling in the Playground

Abigail Higgons

Abbey looks around at the faces huddled and whispering in this gloomy hotel room. The poor lighting makes them look sunken like the long dead corpses of cattle in places so remote that the vultures hadn't found them. Another shudder runs up her spine.

Plans, scheming... why does it seem that the intentions of this little meeting are so pitiful, so hopeless? This place is draining...

In attempt to break from her morbid reverie, she clears her throat and interjects, "Gun play, huh? I wouldn't mind having my trusty Winchester. Didn't think to bring it on this milk run though. Ian, I'd be willing to drive back to Boston with you to get it. I've got access to a sea plane too, I could fly us back down, land out in the bay... or down the coast a bit if we were had the notion to be more subtle. But most of you all seem to think that time is of the essence and I don't disagree. If anybody can find me a rifle, I'm dead shot. Otherwise... well, I've been in a number scrapes but I don't hold much with fisticuffs."

Remembering a promise she made to herself earlier, she continues, "And as far as distractions go, I tried one earlier grabbing poor old Timothy over there. Sorry about that bud, by the way. I don't think the folks in this town truck much with silliness or oddness in any fashion. Including strangers taking walks at this time of night. If we're going to do this, those doing the distracting better be just as prepared for trouble as those doing the searching. I've got to say though, I think its best for us to lay low tonight and keep a watch. "
    Last edited by Zanzabarb; 2008-10-04 at 01:41 AM.
    "Everyone may be ordinary, but they're not normal."
    — Haruki Murakami

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Timothy

The young man nods to acknowledge Abigail's apology, but reinforces his mental promise to never be within arm's length of her.

I agree with Abigail. Before we go running around, we should find out more about this town.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Pixie in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

"Every moment we waste, the more likely we won't find Luke. If were going to decide on a plan, we should hurry up." Edward said as he looked around for an ashtray. Not finding one, he tapped it onto a corner of the desk.

"And personally, I don't think using a priest as a distraction is the best idea. Just doesn't sit well with me. No offense, Father."