New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Gestalt Arena Match 20

A towering figure in a dark robe enters the room where you have been milling around sizing up the competition. His face is completely obscured by his hood. He raises both hands to get your attention and speaks in a deep voice.
    Touchstone, Kilan. He pauses for you to identify yourselves.
    You have been chosen to be the first. Prepare yourselves!
    With that he brings his hands down and the two of you find yourself transported to the arena

OOC:
    You've got time for one swift action and one standard action before you get transported in case you need to adopt a stance or activate an item.

On the map, green is open terrain, yellow is difficult terrain, red/brown is the cliffs

Opening post should have an initiative roll, anything you said after he called your name and what, if anything you did with the 'surprise round' before being transported. After that, start fighting in initiative order.

Touchstone
    Spoiler
    Show
    start at L13

Kilan
    Spoiler
    Show
    start at Y33

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by playswithfire; 2008-09-22 at 08:23 PM.
    Homebrew
    Current Project (A sequel to Tome of Battle)
    Past Projects, some of which I may come back to
    Spoiler
    Show
    Baldric Sea Campaign Setting (work in progress)
    later version of the Sea Dog base class from it

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Gestalt Arena Match 20

Touchstone

Touchstone, hovering invisible in the air, announces himself, and looks at his foe. "Of course," he remarks sardonically, "I get the guy with more brawn than the rest of the world's brains put together. Joy." Touchstone reaches into a pocket and pulls out a small metal sphere, while adopting a fighting stance.

Spoiler
    Show
    Standard action: pull out Iron Bands. Swift action, assume Assasin's stance. Maneuvers prepared, Warblade/Bloodclaw Master: Dancing Mongoose, Pouncing Charge, Rabid Bear Strike, Death from Above, Iron Heart Surge. Maneuvers prepared, Swordsage: Emerald Razor, Ruby Nightmare Blade, Fleshripper, Soaring Raptor Strike. Init: (1d20+16)[20]

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Griffon

An eight foot tall humanoid grins a mawful of fangs. Somewhere between an anthro tiger and a dragon, it growls softly,The hunt is on. Pray to whatever god you worship that my claws don't find your flesh.

Init: (1d20+6)[25]
    I thought of a thought thinking about the thoughts thunk by thinkers. I thought the thought was thunk but I think I thought otherwise.

4. - Top - End - #4

Griffon

Fly up 70', then move to Y21, land on the cliff.

Turn
    I thought of a thought thinking about the thoughts thunk by thinkers. I thought the thought was thunk but I think I thought otherwise.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Touchstone

Touchstone flies 60 feet straight up into the air. Activate Leaps And Bounds (+6 bonus to jump, balance, and tumble checks).

EDIT: Touchstone declares Kilan his dodge target, and will always do so (Damn, Dodge is hard to remember).
    Last edited by XenoGeno; 2008-09-23 at 07:07 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6

Griffon

Move to O18 and land, using the cliff as total cover. Ready an action for breath attack if you get within 20 feet.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Touchstone

Sighing as his opponent dodges out of sight behind cover, Touchstone moves up another 60 feet and puts his sphere behind his back. Ending the invisibility, Touchstone calls to his opponent. "OY, BRUTE! YOUR MOTHER HAD FLEAS AND YOUR FATHER HAD BAD BREATH!!!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Ready an action to throw the Iron Bands if Kilan gets close enough to Touchstone to use his claws.

8. - Top - End - #8

Griffon

He stands still, but shouts back,
    MY FATHER DIDN'T MIND YOUR MOTHER'S FLEAS WHEN HE SHOWED HIS DRACONIC SUPERIORITY TO HER!!!

Full Defense Action, still holding action.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Touchstone

Touchstone sighs, and flies back 60 feet. "I can keep this up all day. If you don't come at me, I'm going to be able to chip away at you until you collapse."

Spoiler
    Show
    Move to square D5, ready an Eldritch Spear to be used as soon as Kiran is in range and Touchstone has line of sight.

10. - Top - End - #10

Griffon

Move North, than East to G11, still staying out of the line thanks to the cliffs.

Too bad. A true hunter can wait for days.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Touchstone

Flying south, Touchstone sighs. He had hoped for an interesting fight. "Look, you're going to have to come at me eventually. So, quit stalling, or the scary robed man might get miffed."

Spoiler
    Show
    Move to P5, ready the Iron Bands for if/when Kilan comes within ten feet of Touchstone. EDIT: Or whatever is close enough for Kilan to claw Touchstone.
    Last edited by XenoGeno; 2008-09-23 at 08:49 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12

Griffon

Fly to L5, 20' away from you. If you are so impatient to die, than be my guest. Lets see how well you burn.

Fire Breath, DC22 Reflex for Half damage.

Blink miss chance: Highs miss 81-100 (1d100)[88]

Damage (6d8)[29] Fire

Edit: At least, I assume that the Supernatural ability is affected by the etherealness. May need a ruling.
    Last edited by Dresil; 2008-09-23 at 09:58 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Touchstone

Reflex Save:
    (1d20+21)[35]

When did you activate your blinking?

EDIT: Also, what was the ruling on 24-hour buffs? If we're allowed to keep them up all the time, I guess it won't affect this fight, but it would be good to know in the future.
    Last edited by XenoGeno; 2008-09-24 at 06:22 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14

Griffon

Its a ring, its always on. If not, just make it the standard action I didn't use for before the fight.
    Last edited by Dresil; 2008-09-24 at 03:50 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ring of Blinking requires a command (standard action that does not provoke attacks of opportunities), and lasts for seven rounds before needing to be reactivated. It can be used as many times per day as you want to.

However, since your character would've been blinking in the beginning, my actions would probably have been somewhat different. I would've used my See the Unseen invocation. It's a 24 hour buff anyway, so I probably could have had it active the entire time anyway. So, you get to retcon in blinking, I get to retcon in See the Unseen?

16. - Top - End - #16

Griffon

Deal, and I have... three rounds of this Blink left.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Touchstone

Touchstone blinks as the flames turn etheral right before touching him. Dropping a bit, he flies south some more. "Oh, please now. Fighting at a distance? Are you afraid to get too close? C'mon, you ***** cat!" Touchstone shouts to his opponent.

Spoiler
    Show
    Drops 5 feet and moves to V5, readying the sphere in the same manner I've readied it every single other time.

Also, I find the censor on this quite amusing. You can probably figure out what I was trying to say, though.

18. - Top - End - #18

Griffon

Well then, I guess it is time to end this. The lycan's wings open in a menacing manner as he takes flight and charges toward you.

Pending shenannigans, I full attack.

Spoiler
    Show

Claw, Claw, Bite, Rake, Rake, Grapple
    (1d20+30)[48]
    (1d20+30)[40]
    (1d20+29)[38]
    (1d20+27)[34]
    (1d20+27)[35]
    (1d20+37)[47]

Damage, same order.

(1d8+20)[27]
    (1d8+20)[27]
    (2d6+10)[16]
    (1d8+11)[18]
    (1d8+11)[13]

19. - Top - End - #19

Griffon

Oh, I forgot ethereal miss. Highs miss again.

(1d100)[8]
    (1d100)[10]
    (1d100)[65]
    (1d100)[44]
    (1d100)[71]

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Touchstone

Shenanigans time, though I'm feeling unlucky. If the bands hit, you're helpless, and this happens as soon as you're in range, so if I succeed, the attacks didn't happen.

Ranged Touch: (1d20+23)[28]

Etheral miss chance, 81-100 misses: (1d100)[84]

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Touchstone

While his heart sinks from seeing the bands pass through suddenly empty space, he is relieved to find that only one of his opponent's attacks succeed. Closing the distance between the two, Touchstone becomes invisible once more, unsheathes his weapons, adopts a more defensive stance, and strikes out with his full force.

Spoiler
    Show
    Dammit. However, only the first claw hits, for 17 points of damage after DR.

Five foot step, resume invisibility, free action unsheathe weapons, adopt Stance of Clarity (EDIT: Just to be clear, Kilan is the target of the stance), Rabid Bear Strike.

To hit: (1d20+23)[37]

Damage: (1d3+6)[9] + (10d6)[30]

Miss chance, same as before: (1d100)[9]
    Last edited by XenoGeno; 2008-09-26 at 07:04 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22

Griffon

Hold on since I hit you with one of my attacks, I got to grapple you as a free attempt. So you have to beat my grapple roll.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

You don't get improved grab or rake in hybrid form.

EDIT: Actually, you can't pounce either. Which doesn't really affect this time anyway, as only your first attack hit.
    Last edited by XenoGeno; 2008-09-26 at 03:44 PM.