New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Big D*** Heroes in a Big Bad World - Chapter I

BladetoungueHP 39/39 AC 19 Fort 17 Ref. 15 Will 16
    Damn it, you fool! Warn me next time before you pull something like that!!
    Angered at being drawn out of battle after shrugging off the blows of his enemies, Bladetongue dashes forward, strangely pulling his sword and shield away from his front, leaving himself open. However, his reasoning becomes clear when a massive cloud of corrosive vapor jets from his mouth, swamping two of the orcs in a cloud of acid. Then, his blade and shield come back to their normal position with a growl as he looks for further trouble.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I don't know if you can do a minor action on the move, but I'd like to use my Dragon's breath either way. Moving to p17 and breathing at 10 and 15. 10- Attack vs. reflex (1d20+7)[26] and (1d6+1)[2] damage, and 15- Attack vs. reflex (1d20+7)[20] and (1d6+1)[4] damage. If 10 survives, I will attack him with a Wolf Pack Tactics (1d20+9)[21] (1d10+4)[10] and Tremblor can shift one. If 10 dies and I can still move, I will attack 15, and if 15 survives I will attack him. If both die, double move to l15.
    The Bear is Back.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Halfling in the Playground

Goblin

The battle rages on around you, as Tremblor narrowly misses felling a foe with a powered swing and the mage Thanald ends another attacker with a well aimed ray. The Dragonborn Bladetounge steps up back into the building, inhaling deeply and spraying two Orcs before him with a sizzling green spray. Both Orcs yell fiercely, clinging at their faces and exposed skin as they fall to the ground, never to rise again.

Kalin continues his march forward, loosing two more arrows into the throats of two more attackers. Aahris, recovering from the blow he received from the beast, lashes out and strikes down two more opponents before stepping out of the range of the creature's swings. And Ophelia rushes up to the front of the line, tending to the wounded Aahris as the group stands shoulder to shoulder facing their remaining foes.

Outside, the surviving Orc watches as its companion falls to a magical blast and chooses to charge the mage rather than face the same fate.

#12 Attack on Thanald - (d20+10)[16]
    5 damage on a hit

Inside, the remaining Orc takes a more prudent course of action. Retrieving a torch from his pouch and striking it alight, he holds it menacingly above the nearby barrel as he spits out a long string of Orcish curses that you don't need to know the language to understand. This display of bravado is rather short lived however as the shelled beast points both its eyes at the people near it, firing a yellow burst of psychic energy over the crowd knocking them backwards and senseless.

Gaze Attack Bladetounge - (d20+16)[33] vs Will
    Gaze Attack Aahris - (d20+16)[26] vs Will
    Gaze Attack Ophelia - (d20+16)[33] vs Will
    Gaze Attack Orc #1 - (d20+16)[23] vs Will
    [If hit, you're dazed until you make a saving throw and knocked backward 5 spaces. I'll update the map when I see the rolls.]

More debris slides off the creature's carapace. It's nearly free...
    Last edited by mayonase; 2008-09-18 at 01:25 PM.
    **UPDATE 8-29** Laptop repaired... kinda! Actually, my friend just showed me how to turn it on without a power button, which is kinda the same thing, right?

8-16-08: Laptop broken; posting future uncertain

3. - Top - End - #33

Goblin

Here's the Map:
    Spoiler
    Show

**UPDATE 8-29** Laptop repaired... kinda! Actually, my friend just showed me how to turn it on without a power button, which is kinda the same thing, right?

4. - Top - End - #34
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Kalin

35/35 hp AC:19 Fort:14 Ref:17 Will:16

Seeing the massive Hulk is nearly free and most of the orcs are down, Kalin turns his attention towards the trapped monster. Moving around towards the right side of the warehouse, he takes aim at the beast and fires twice.

Spoiler
    Show

Move to J21

Using a minor action to mark the Umber Hulk as Quarry.

Using two-fanged strike against the Hulk.

Attack 1: (1d20+8)[26]
    Damage: (1d10+5)[13]
    Attack 2: (1d20+8)[20]
    Damage 2: (1d10+5)[7]
    Quarry damage: (1d6)[3]

If both attacks hit, add my wisdom bonus of +4 to the damage done.

edit: These damage rolls total to 27, counting quarry and wis bonus

If either of these rolls miss, I will use Elven Accuracy to reroll the low attack and hope for the best.

Elven Accuracy attack reroll: (1d20+8)[23]

Last edited by Britter; 2008-09-18 at 02:05 PM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Save for Bladetongue- (1d20)[9]
    The Bear is Back.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Thanald 29/29 AC:17, F:12, R:16, W:17

Thanald barely dodges the attack from the brutish Orc. He quickly extends his hand and casts a Magic Missile at the Orc.

(Intelligence vs. Reflex)

Attack - (1d20+5)[8]
    Damage - (2d4+5)[8]

As he attacks, Thanald moves towards the door to the storehouse.

OOC: Attacking Orc #12. Ending my movement on space S18.

Spoiler
    Show
    Drat -- I'm pretty sure I missed him.
    Last edited by Ron2112; 2008-09-18 at 03:29 PM.

7. - Top - End - #37

Tremblor
    HP: 39/39 AC: 21 Fort: 16 Ref: 16 Will: 14

Tremblor notes the torch the Orc is bearing as it curses at the party. So that's what they're up to... he thinks to himself.
    Tremblor braces himself as several of his new companions and the torch bearing orc slide towards him. Seeing everyone dazed he moves past the tiefling. Holding his blade in front of him, the runes begin to glow bright red as he points his sword in the direction of the umber hulk and marked barrels around it unleashing a cone of flames...

Spoiler
    Show

Here's hoping those barrels don't have a huge blast radius.

Move Action: Move to L17 (This shouldn't draw an AoO since the orc should be stunned)
    Standard Action: Flame Cyclone
    (I'm not sure if i need to roll an attack against objects, but just in case)
    Attack vs Barrel in J15: (1d20+6)[13] vs Reflex
    Attack vs Barrel in J14: (1d20+6)[18] vs Reflex
    Attack vs Umber Hulk: (1d20+6)[14] vs Reflex
    Melkor, Tiefling Warlock Avatar by Nevitan

8. - Top - End - #38

Spoiler
    Show

Forgot the Damage roll
    (1d8+7)[12]

9. - Top - End - #39

Tremblor

Seeing the barrels catch fire and begin sizzle Tremblor yells, "GET OUT! QUICKLY!!!"

10. - Top - End - #40

Goblin

While Thanald and the Orc continue their duel outside, neither party able to land a solid hit, Tremblor takes the momentary leave inside to press the attack. Summoning a column of flame, the Genasi strikes not only the trapped beast, scorching the thick shell and enraging the monster, but also engulfs two of the barrels in his attack. The paint on the barrels bubbles and blisters and the wood and metal warp and sizzle, but the basic integrity of the barrels holds fast. As soon as the column dissipates, though, everyone inside the building can see a thick fuse spark and smoke as glowing embers twist their path along the top of the barrel into a waiting hole in the center. The fuses will meet the bodies of the barrels in a matter of seconds.

[Bladetounge is up, and remember: Saving throws occur at the end of your turn, meaning everyone hit will be dazed at minimum one round. Kalin, you can keep your current action or reassess.]

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground

Aarhis: 35/39hp, AC 20, Fort: 18 Ref: 14 Will: 14

[ooc]Well, that certainly changes my action for the round. [/ooc]

Save: (1d20)[9]

Aarhis looks up, dazed, just in time to see flames engulf the barrels. His eyes widen and as soon as the hissing fuse becomes visible he turns and exits the building, ignoring the orc and stumbling a bit, still woozy from the hulk's attack.

[ooc]Full move of 5 squares, away from the building.[/ooc]
    Last edited by technophile; 2008-09-18 at 07:12 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Kasadya a'Deveimar, Tiefling Warblade
    Sebastian Avero, Human Sagittarius

12. - Top - End - #42

BlackDragon

Spoiler
    Show
    In light of the current situation, I opt to run the heck away :) I will move 7 squares away from the building, assuming I start my move from q19 I will take a moment to shoot at the orc attacking Thanald. If that is not possible, no worries.

attack: (1d20+8)[22]
    Damage: (1d10+5)[13]

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Bladetongue, feeling shaken and dizzy, sees the barrels starting to sizzle with burning wicks. With a sharp snort, he looks to see that his companions are escaped before he leaves, knowing that he could save one of them if they failed to make the door.
    RUN! ALL OF YOU! I'LL TAKE THE REAR! RUN! MOVE YOUR HAIRY ASSES!
    He barks the command through the haze of the attack, his brain reeling.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Delaying till all plaerys have gone, but before orks. Planning on using knights move if anyone can't make it out to get them going. Self sacrifice, yay! But if everyone is out, move my butt out too, full speed ahead with one move action (damn dazed!)
    The Bear is Back.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    And forgot save (1d20)[19]. Oh, and if i can (not sure with dazed) action point for one more move phase of get the hell outta there.
    The Bear is Back.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Pixie in the Playground

Ophelia 34/34 AC:19, F:15, R:15, W:17

Ophelia takes a second or so longer than the others to recover from being slammed back against the materials, and stares around at the shouting for a moment before realising the danger.

Spoiler
    Show
    That's going to be a full six squares of movement away. Not much bothered where she ends up outside, although she probably won't run full-tilt or move next round until she's got bearings on whether everyone's out. This being somewhat dependant on whether she can make the ground stop spinning.

Saving vs Dazed - (1d20)[20]

16. - Top - End - #46

Tremblor

OOC: Not sure if the next round of actions has started.

Tremblor makes his way out of the building, aiding any of his dazed companions if needed.

Spoiler
    Show

I'll spend a move action to leave the building but if anyone is dazed and unable to move, Tremblor will use a standard action to grab them and an action point to drag them as far as possible.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Thanald gets close enough to the building to see the commotion and realize what has happened. Wasting no time, he quickly turns and runs in the opposite direction of the storehouse.

Spoiler
    Show
    Not sure that Thanald ever got close enough to assist anyone, but certainly, if anyone is in reach, he'll expend all free actions to grab them and help them get away.
    Last edited by Ron2112; 2008-09-19 at 09:50 AM.

18. - Top - End - #48

Goblin

Seeing the lit fuse and realizing the immediate danger, the party makes the quick decision that a tactical retreat would be in order and promptly run from the building. They leave behind them the sole surviving Orc, disoriented and dazed, leaning against a wall, and the Umber Hulk just barely still trapped under a mound of debris. There's an unnatural calm for the next few seconds, punctuated only by the continuing drum beats and the sound of the creature behind you finally breaking free from his restraints. Then the explosion comes, more a solid wave of pressure against you than anything that could be quantified as sound.

Splinters, nails and shrapnel wash over you while you also notice a curious spike in temperature affecting your back sides. Your steps falter and your skin is scraped and cut, but nothing really worth mentioning and absolutely nothing that will slow you down. Glancing behind you, no trace is left of the building other than a single wooden support pole standing upright and marking the southeast corner of the former structure. The tunnel has collapsed in on itself, a dimple on the land under a layer of carbon-scorched earth.

(Combat Over)

As the ringing in your ears fades, you quickly become aware of two things. The first is the near incomprehensible shouting of Captain Kinley on the far wall, sending quick orders down both lengths to the bowmen and fighters still standing there. The second is that the drum beats of before have completely ceased, replaced by a growing rumble that sounds like the coming of a furious ocean tide...

19. - Top - End - #49
    Dwarf in the Playground

Aarhis dusts himself off, working his neck around a bit to ensure everything is in working order. He glances back at the lone post and the large hole in the ground, then his gaze swings to the strangely tattooed man with the glowing sword.

"That was... risky. But effective," he concedes. His head swings the other way, back towards the wall. "The captain will want to know what happened here, and we may soon be needed on the wall in any case." He starts back towards the wall.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #50

Tremblor

Tremblor dusts himself off, briefly removing his broad brimmed hat revealing a bald head covered in szuldar in a uniquely angular pattern. Placing his hat firmly on his head he nods in agreement at the Dragonborn's suggestion of his risky act, Tremblor however can't hide a prideful smile from creeping over his face.
    Tremblor follows the Dragonborn and motions for the others to follow. With a slight chuckle he addresses those around him, "Since I almost killed us all I figure you should all know that I am Tremblor, Swordmage of Nomnor. Please forgive my impulsiveness. I am glad we are all able to stand."

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Thanald:

"Likewise, I am Thanald, a student of the mystic arts. Your actions were a bit rash, Swordmage, but no harm appears to have been done." He glances at the remains of the storehouse and the dead Orcs. "Except for them, that is...."

He follows the others back towards the wall.
    Last edited by Ron2112; 2008-09-19 at 06:16 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

This is no time for introductions, fools!! Do you not hear the rampaging hoards coming this way! Their footsteps shake the ground! To the WALLS!! It is time to do our job!
    With that, Bladetongue turns and runs towards the top of the walls, trying to hear for the captain there. If the captain is below, he will head to the walls anyway. Battle had come to them.
    The Bear is Back.

23. - Top - End - #53

Goblin

As one unit you stumble and run back to the wall, taking a moment to catch your breath and finish shaking the cobwebs out of your heads. The crashing and roaring is getting louder and louder, and as you crest the various ladders and mount the wall you see that the Horde is, at long last, coming.

The horizon boils with movement, and vile beasts of all shapes and sizes converge at the base of the wall. There's so much of a press in some places that fighters are crushed to death under the boots of their peers. Captain Kinley notices you come up, and points to the empty sections of the front line for you to take your positions. "It's time, everyone! Hold your ground, hold it to the last and make them pay dear for every last inch! Let's send 'em off in style! Archers, FIRE AT WILL!!!"

The archers under his direct command obey, sending a volley into a rising and falling approaching mass so thick you can't even see the felled creatures they struck. Return fire peppers the line, sending a handful of Guardsmen backwards over the edge but remaining largely inneffectual in everyone's confusion. You are all in position now, and the Archers are prepping a second round as all around you you hear the clang of metal on stone, the sound of steel clawed hooks on rope ladders being thrown into the wall and landing a perch for the waiting combatants below...

Spoiler
    Show
    You all have one full round to position yourselves and make any final preparations, or to start shooting aarows or spells.

Initiative for the first round and after:
    Aarhis - (d20+5)[23]
    Bladetongue - (d20+2)[5]
    Kalin - (d20+7)[11]
    Ophelia - (d20+1)[8]
    Thanald - (d20+3)[11]
    Tremblor - (d20+3)[6]
    Orcs - (d20)[1]

Things to know: 'Cp' is the Captain, 'Ar' are friendly Archers, 'O' are the members of the Horde. Ladders are the brown sections of the Wall on either side. Knocking down a Horde ladder would be a DC 20 Str check, or you could try to hack them apart with attacks. Any one Orc adjacent to the bottom of the ladder at the start of a turn can climb to the top per turn. If you're adjacent to a ladder and an Orc climbs up it, you get an Opp Attack against it as it pops its head up over the wall with Combat Advantage, but if you're on the edge of the wall you will be attacked by 1d4-2 arrows at the start of your turn with +5 (after cover) to hit and that do 5 Damage. Orcs that make it up the wall and survive the Opp Attacks land in the nearest free square within a couple spaces and can attack immediately. If you want, you can roll a couple Opp Attacks in advance on your turn.

24. - Top - End - #54

Tremblor

OOC: I'm assuming we have all our encounter powers back as though we've had a short rest. Right?

Tremblor grabs hold of the ladder in front of him and attempts to heave it back to the ground below.

Spoiler
    Show

Standard Action: Strength Check (1d20+4)[13]
    AoO 1: Attack:(1d20+8)[24] / Damage (1d10+7)[12]
    AoO 2: Attack:(1d20+8)[25] / Damage (1d10+7)[17]
    AoO 3: Attack:(1d20+8)[15] / Damage (1d10+7)[9]

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Thanald sees a cluster of Orcs right beneath and in front of him and casts a Freezing Sphere towards the middle of the bunch:

(Intelligence vs. Fortitude)

Attack - (1d20+5)[13]
    Damage - (1d8+5)[8]

Spoiler
    Show
    Trageting the origin of the sphere at square J6. Looks like I missed (again), but the sphere should still do half damage (4 HP) to all 13 Orcs in the AoA.
    Last edited by Ron2112; 2008-09-19 at 09:21 PM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Dwarf in the Playground

Aarhis: 35/39hp, AC 20, Fort: 18 Ref: 14 Will: 14

Aarhis moves to the nearest ladder [G18], reaches down and attempts to hurl it backwards into the mass of orcs.

STR Check - (1d20+5)[14](19)

He heaves at it for a moment, then snarls in frustration, hefts his sword and shield and sets himself, waiting for the first orc to surmount the wall and sublimely ignoring incoming arrow fire.

[ooc]Go ahead and roll any needed OA; note that Aarhis' attack rolls for OAs are +12 to hit, 1d8+6 for damage.[/ooc]
    Last edited by technophile; 2008-09-19 at 09:24 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #57

BlackDragon

Kalin

35/35 hp AC:19 Fort:14 Ref:17 Will:16

Kalin kept his mind on the coming fight, even as the dust was settling from the warehouse explosion. Following the the assertive dragonborn, the elf ran for the wall.

Looking out over the enemy force on the field, Kalin steeled himself for the action to come. The evacuating civilians still needed time, and he meant to make sure they had it.

Standing on the edge of the wall, the elf sent shaft after shft down into the mass of orcs milling about below, trying to prevent them from making it on to the ladders. "Well boys," he said to the archers nearby, "Looks like we barely even have to aim, they're so thick down there."

Spoiler
    Show

Twin Strike, aiming for the orcs closest to the ladder. Kalin will stay near the edge and continue firing. I assume no AoO's with missile weapons.

Attack 1: (1d20+8)[10]
    Damage: (1d10+1)[9]

Attack 2: (1d20+8)[16]
    Damage: (1d10+1)[2]

Assuming prime shot applies here, add 1 to each to hit roll.

28. - Top - End - #58

Goblin

Spoiler
    Show
    Ron, with Area Affect attacks, you actually make a separate attack for each enemy caught in the blast (though you still only make 1 damage roll for the lot of 'em). I'm thinkin' there's gonna be a few dead Orcs on the ground below .

And remember everyone, you get two rounds of action here 'cause I can't roll Initiative, apparently.

29. - Top - End - #59

Tremblor

Tremblor tries to push the ladder down a second time.

Spoiler
    Show

Strength Check: (1d20+4)[12]

30. - Top - End - #60

BlackDragon

Kalin

Spoiler
    Show
    Ok, if we get two rounds, I will, surprise surprise, shoot 2 more arrows :)

attack 1: (1d20+8)[16]
    Damage: (1d10+1)[2]

Attack 2: (1d20+8)[28]
    Damage: (1d10+1)[3]
    edit: if it matters, and if this is a crit, I do 11+[roll]1d6[/roll] (for thundering bow bonus crit) as damage.

My goal is to clear out as many orcs at the bottom of the ladder i am by as I can

Last edited by Britter; 2008-09-19 at 11:54 PM.