Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Adventurers' Guild: Bridgeport IC

Spoiler
    Show
    Following on immediately from events described here:
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...83#post4919683

Bruce ... I suppose that should be "Bruce the first, Doge of Bridgeport" ... is a busy man.

He quickly asks the adventurers to confirm the story of Argos' demise although it seems he has already had word of it somehow. He asks about what happened to the body and Shiela gives him the Chains of State as the proof of his death. Bruce asks about the fate of some missing members. Iva's death. Ioth's decision to stay with the other kobolds near Broken Mountain "until things quiet down". He also quizzes the returning guild members on the disposition of the goblin army between Broken Mountain and Bridgeport. Midford remains under siege and Khorinis is captured. Fortunately Jeff's old stomping ground was around Khornis and he was able to guide the group safely back past enemy lines.

It is apparent that while the adventurers were picking their way back towards Bridgeport, Bruce, Maghlemuel and the old guard chaplain, Valspir, were able to pull off a coup against the troops that remained loyal to Argos. Felix Oster, the marshal that Argos appointed, has avoided capture and about a third of the city guard defected with him. Some half-ogres are still at large in the city. High Priest Lucas is also missing. The halflings have control of West Bridgeport and having risen to take up arms against Argos, are not in a hurry to lay them down for the new Doge, even if he is an ally. Bishop Sonj is dead. The Patriarch of Garl appointed a replacement from the islands but he hasn't arrived yet. Bruce's own status as Doge has yet to be formally recognised. And of course there's a huge goblin army looking like it might head South to Bridgeport.

So Bruce is busy.

The Adventurers' Guild is busy too. A number of bigwigs seem to be gathered in the HQ library. Some of you recognise some faces. Two halfling women; Miriam Shae, the halfling woman who was at the head of the barricade across the bridge that day. Those who were at the old old Doge's funeral might recognise Petra, the High Priestess of Yondalla. Maghlemuel is there too. Merrill and some rich looking gentlemen and ladies you take to be other guildmasters. It looks like Jerris the wizard that was rescued, is part of the dignataries group, and Eldon, the guild's healer. The library door closes.

No wonder there are so many guards about. In the break room you find more guards, many of them are halflings who stand a little off from the others. Bil is here too, looking a bit uncomfortable.

Bil:
    They don't seem to need me around here any more.

Matthew:
    Bruce... uh... the Doge said you would take care of our prisoner. It's Verona. She betrayed her sister during the fight with Argos. She hasn't spoken since... look I'll come with you.

Matthew has spent a lot of time fussing about Verona on the way back. Anger at first. But then something harder to read. Insisting on protecting her when others were less than happy with having to babysit the girl who has attacked the guild twice now and double crossed her own sister with a fatal stab in the back.

Ana:
    The others are down at The Jasmine & Clove. Drop your stuff and let's get out of here for now. You must all be hungry.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Adventurers' Guild: Bridgeport IC

Marko

"Khorinis, captured?" Marko said, mostly to himself. "I'll see you at the Jasmine and Clove, but there's something I have to do first," he said outside, as the others began filtering toward the tavern.

Down on the docks, he quickly found the Sampo. Boarding the vessel, he asked after Woetjans, intending to have a long conversation centering around the capture of Khorinis.

3. - Top - End - #3

Default Marko at the docks

Marko runs ahead past the Jasmine and Clove and the warehouses to Dock Street and down to pier 6. The docks are very busy and all the piers look full with a range of sea going and some river boats tied up. The Sampo appears to be in good condition but nobody is aboard.

Guard:
    OI, YOU! What are you...!

Marko looks up and sees one of the city guard on the walkway. The last time he met one at the docks was the scene of quite a battle. This time however the guard seems to correct himself.

Guard:
    Ah! Oh! Well is there anything I can help you with, captain?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Victor

Victor gives a small frown, and looks at Ana. "Actually, now that you mention it, that doesn't sound like a half bad idea." So he does as suggested, drops his gear off, and heads to the Jasmine & Clove.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Dravick:

Dravick runs upstairs and deposits most of his adventuring gear in his footlocker before returning downstairs to head out to the Jasmine and Clove.

A relaxing drink and some good company sure does sound nice right about now.
    GENERATION 14: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.

Current Characters:
    Dravick: Human Bard - Adventurer's Guild - Team Badger/Otter

Custom Dravick avatar by Shades of gray.

6. - Top - End - #6

Default Walking to the Jasmine and Clove

You head out through the back way and along the alley. A dog challenges you as you pass close to the stables. Sentinel sniffs at you and then dashes off to find Omoris, his master.

As you walk down towards the pub you glance back to the North / East. It's evening now and just before the colours fade. You can just see The Tree every now and then between houses, even several miles away. It's now the highest point in Bridgeport. It almost seems as if you can smell it on the night air.

Sneaking into Bridgeport by barely visible tracks, not knowing what to expect or whether you'd have to fight again... just a few hours ago. A quick trip through the big graveyard... Jeff certainly knew how to pick a less traveled path. The Tree, now the first thing you see when approaching Bridgeport from the North. Matthew had already "debriefed" the members of Cougar and Dingo on the strange destruction of the Doge's palace. How Zan had been able to call forth the power within his staff to release an "ancient one". The huge tree now dominating the city center with its roots in the ruins of the palace.

It's true that there's a tension coming from many of the citizens of the city you see. The times are still uncertain for them, but for the adventurers it's a home coming.

Ana:
    Jas-min... Jazz-mine... Jay-sa-min....
    Have you ever said a word, and it just sounds wrong somehow?

You arrive at the Jasmine and Clove. A sign on the door says,

Kata and the lost Hope -- one night only.

7. - Top - End - #7

Marko

Looking up at the guard, Marko replied, "Yes, actually. Can you tell me where I might find my crew? I've been away a little longer than planned, but didn't expect to find none of them aboard."

8. - Top - End - #8

Default Marko at the docks

Guard:
    "Let me see... they are from Khorinis aren't they? You should check the warehouses and pubs up by the river docks. When Khorinis fell we got a bunch of refugees down here. What with all the river traffic stopped up the river docks weren't being used much anyway so they mostly moored their boats up there. I think all the Khorinis fleet got away. The refugees are being housed in the warehouses along Banks Road. If they've got money you might try the pubs near there. Muddy Boots is catering to the refugees these days, and there's a new one called The Bridge and Bower 'cept it's got a picture of the bridge and the tree on it. ..."

He gestures over his left shoulder as if you could see The Tree from the docks.

Guard:
    "That one's a bit more fancy though."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

As he walks down to Jasmine and Clove, Dravick whistles an upbeat tune as he tries to put words to a new song about the giant tree in the place where the palace once stood. He doesn't get too far into the process though, when he starts to think about some of his friends, wondering how they came out of Bridgeport's near disaster. Tomorrow I will have to go out and see some people he thinks to himself, before once again becoming entranced by the chance to relax over a few pints with his adventuring friends.
    GENERATION 14: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.

Current Characters:

10. - Top - End - #10

Marko

"Hmmm, well thank you. I'm going up the mast for a bit, and I'll head over there after while," Marko said, boarding the vessel and climbing to the top of the mast. Once there, he sang a song of thanks to Ahto. The winds seemed to heed his call and became rather well behaved while he sang. When his song finished, he climbed down and headed for the Muddy Boots. Not that he expected the crew to have been poorly handled by Bruce in his absence, but The Bridge and Bower just didn't sound like the kind of place his crew would frequent.

Spoiler
    Show
    Burning a Bardic Music use with the Windsinger feat, just because he can.

11. - Top - End - #11

Default Two pubs

Marko at Muddy Boots

Marko manages to track down "the Nose" and some of the crew at Muddy Boots. Snatches of conversations at the tables are mostly about the war; stories of fighting and escape, people trying to find lost family. These are the lucky ones of course. The ones who got away and with a little money. The barman directs Marko to a table at the back.

The Nose:
    I tell you it's a sign of good fortune, not bad!

Oarsman:
    It's the captain!

[hr]
    Badgers at The Jasmine & Clove

As you enter you look around and spot Vlax, Fin and Dragutin Tadijanovic (the gnome from the Patriarch's retinue who signed up with the guild after the battle at the docks). Fin is wearing the uniform of the town guard. There's a couple of other people at the table who wear the Adventurers' Guild pin. Vlax is drinking. Fin spots you and calls you over with a cheer. He quickly becomes concerned when he sees Matthew and Ioth missing. Over greetings you explain they are both safe, but that the pale girl named Iva from the Cougar's team, was killed in the line of duty.

It's a somber moment. You realise none of you knew her that well. So pretty and young, but withdrawn, private.

Fin:
    So the others, the Cougars are back too then... the rest of them? I have to speak to Shiela.

Spoiler
    Show
    You assume the Cougars are coming behind you and will turn up shortly.

12. - Top - End - #12

Marko

"A round for my crew!" Marko called, striding over to their table. Standing on a chair, he took time to tell the tale of the mountain, and especially the dragon, thanking Ahto at appropriate moments. When the story finished, he continued, "Gentlemen, I am sorry to hear Khorinis has fallen to the goblins. I still intend to make good on my word to take you all there, but obviously now is not the time. I'll have to speak with the Doge regarding the Sampo. Has he treated you all well? Do you have proper lodgings?"

13. - Top - End - #13

Victor

Victor, now at the bar sipping a beer and observing the crowd (and hopefully the music), looks over at fin absentmindedly. "Yeah, they should be right up any minute now." Then, detaching himself with a shake of his head, he comes over to the table with the others. He nods in the direction of those he hasn't yet been introduced to. "And who might you fine folks be?"

14. - Top - End - #14

Default I lied, here's my re-debut!

The door to the pub opened, and in stepped the rather familiar face of a red-headed cleric, made even more distinguishable by his robes depicting the holy symbol of Boccob, and the scythe strapped to his back. His mannerisms in decent company hadn't changed much, as he appeared very awkward from the moment he stepped through the door and gave a small greeting to the pub in general to when he finally inched his way to the table.

"H-hi everybody! Did you all miss me!?" Zan's hand dipped down to the usual location of his flask, where it faltered and shook, and then fell to his side again.
    The universe's least interesting world is this one. Yay for imagination!
    Avatar by the amazing Shades of Gray

15. - Top - End - #15

Default Marko at "Muddy Boots"

Marko at "Muddy Boots"
    As Marko starts the story of the encounter with the dragon to his crew the entire pub goes very quiet listening to him. But as he gets along his audience starts to oooh and cheer at the right parts; tricking the guards, the fiery cave, folks held in cages, the wicked 'master' attacking his own people (Klesha), the terrifying dragon appears, Iva's death, the cowardly Doge caught by his own tricks, and finally the dragon defeated and the escape as the mountain explodes in fire.

No doubt the story will be told and retold many times by many people in Bridgeport that night.

Little boy:
    Who is that da'?

Man:
    Shh! That's captain Marko!

The loudest cheer of the night is reserved for when Marko finishes off saying,
    Gentlemen, I am sorry to hear Khorinis has fallen to the goblins. I still intend to make good on my word to take you all there
    The crowd is largely refugees from Khorinis and this statement, though directed at the crew of the Sampo, is taken up by all as a promise of good fortune. There's so much noise that Marko can hardly hear The Nose's reply to his questions but he indicates yes to both.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Dragutin

The gnome looked up at the newcomer and blinked his eyes in confusion. It was clear he was trying to recall who Victor was. "Heya!," he said cheerfully, "I don't know about 'fine folks', but I'm Dragutin Tadijanovic, a marine in the Patriarch of Garl's service. It sure has been interesting around here lately, eh?" Teeth gleaming, he held out a hand in greeting.

17. - Top - End - #17

As Dravick reaches for the door to enter the Jasmine & Clove, he is accosted by a wiry little man with a closely trimmed beard who looks around surreptitiously.

Stranger (with a strange, educated-sounding accent)
    "Good day, gentle Sir... though that's a strange thing to say in such dark times, isn't it? Sorry to trouble you, I notice you carry quite a bit of gear with you... if you're ever looking to sell or buy anything unusual, I'm your man - you can't trust the guilds these days. My name is Martin, and the barkeep here is a friend of mine. Just leave a note for me under your empty mug, and he'll know how to get in touch with me so I can research your request. Good day."

He slips away into the side street before Dravick can reply.
    Thanks to Daryk for the Paladin avatar. Darius Sungold. 1648 OOC.

18. - Top - End - #18

Default I um... suppose?

Zan shook the hand of the gnome, smiling gently himself.

"By the way, I know this sounds a bit ridiculous to ask, b-but can I sit d-down?"

19. - Top - End - #19

Marko

Marko's eyes widened when he realized the crowd had taken his words to his men as applying to all. He racked his brain for the proper thing to say throughout the cheering. When it finally died down enough, he said solemnly, "Good people, as I've promised my men, it will take time and effort, but I will do all in my power to return you there. It will be a long hard road, I'm sure, but well worth the travel. Now, if you'll excuse me, now that I've seen my men in good health and spirits, I must be off to discuss the matter with the Doge."

As he tried to make his way out of the tavern, he beckoned Woetjans to accompany him. Once away from the crowds, he looked up at the bos'n and said, "Well that was unexpected, but I'll do my best. I'm going to propose a scouting mission to the Doge, and Sampo figures into it. How soon can we arrange for a ballista and be ready to get underway?"

20. - Top - End - #20

Marko outside Muddy Boots

The Nose seems surprised at the question.
    "Ah, I don't think the crew has much fightin' experience sir. They're just oarsmen for the most part. Where would I get a ballista from? I suppose I can ask around the shipyards."

(You recall that at the moment Bruce is in that big important meeting with all the dignitaries back at the guildhall which is probably why everyone else is meeting to chat at The Jasmine and Clove)

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Default Re: I um... suppose?

Dragutin Tadijanovic

Quote Originally Posted by MK Kilmarnock View Post
    Zan shook the hand of the gnome, smiling gently himself.

"By the way, I know this sounds a bit ridiculous to ask, b-but can I sit d-down?"
    The gnome looked a little worried. "I don't know. Can you?" It seemed Dragutin might not be the brightest candle in the chandelier.

22. - Top - End - #22

Default Oh, I seem to have omitted "I May".

Zan rolled his eyes, laughing and looking a bit cowed.

"Erm... yes, I am perfectly capable of sitting down. W-what I was asking is if I c-cou... If I may join the company here. However, despite the courtesy, I d-don't think I'd be turned down by my own adventuring team." With that, he sat down at the table, staying quiet for at least the early phases of conversation. As usual, it would take a while for him to get into the stream of things.

To be honest, he was also daydreaming about Ana.

23. - Top - End - #23

Marko

"Don't worry about that Woetjans. My plan is to take a few of my fellow guildsmen to scout out Khorinis. Sampo is the fastest way upriver, and will drop us off well short of the city. The ballista is just insurance against need. And I think there's plenty of room up on the focsle. While you're asking around the shipyards, perhaps you could see if there are any artillerists looking for work? The gnomish term is 'gunner' if that helps," Marko said.

Marko waited patiently for any other questions Woetjans might have had before sending him on his way. Once that was done, Marko remembered Bruce would be busy for a while yet, so he headed for the Jasmine & Clove. He just hoped the rumor mill hadn't beat him there, or the Guild would truly be his only refuge.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Moving towards Victor, a small human girl, about 16 years old, says:

Hi ! I am Kate. Nice to meet... she trips and drops all her papers that were loose in her spellbook. Oh no! I am so clumbsy . Starting to pick up and sort the different papers, she continues: I have come to aid you.
    **** Photobucket ; RIP avatars

25. - Top - End - #25

Default At the Jasmine and Clove.

(OK - introducing Sandra)
    At the Jasmine and Clove.

The second young woman darts forward quickly to try and catch the falling papers and help pick them up. She wears light armor of good quality and, Victor notes, in the manner of a rider. Her movements picking up the papers are a little impaired by a large broadsword, or possibly a very fat greatsword with a highly customised grip and sheath. On the table next to her is a whetstone and it looks like it is well used.

Fin:
    And this is Sandra. She's from near Lake Heart.

Girl with big sword:
    (still scrambling on the floor) From Keopara.
    (sitting back up) But you've probably never heard of it.

She is surprisingly short and her accent is a broad rural lilt which Dravick recognises as similar to Zan's.

Fin:
    Vlax, Help me drag another table over.

Space is cleared for the expected arrival of the Cougars. As this is going on Fin explains why he now wears the uniform of the city guard of Bridgeport. That things in Bridgeport have been chaotic in the two weeks since the Tree and that there was a call out for more guardsmen. Fin felt it was his duty to sign up and help protect the streets he grew up on. "It's been bad."

Vlax, nods:
    Plenty of fighting.
    Now tell us. What happened to you lot?

There is general agreement to this request from Fin, Dragutin, Ana, Kate and Sandra. Zan finds three lovely ladies looking at him.

Behind Vlax' head you notice some wag has chalked on the wall, "seats reserved for people with weapons longer than they are tall". Apparently Vlax and Sandra at least, must come here regularly.
    Last edited by DavidByron; 2008-09-23 at 10:41 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

Picking up the papers she hands them to the girl that dropped them "You should be more careful." Moving towards her sword she takes it from the sheath, and starts to work on the tip of the sword. She didn't pay any mind to the girl after that, though she didn't seem to be that different in age to her.
    Last edited by Akyana; 2008-09-22 at 10:43 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27

Default Woah, wait a second!

Zan jolted to full attention when the word "Keopara" was mentioned.

"W-wait a second! That's.... huh?" He looked to the three ladies staring at him, immediately flushing out into a beet red. "Erm.... um.... can I... help you?" He tried an awkward smile, but staring really wasn't something that he reacted well to, and found his eyes alternating between looking back at the women and then down at the floor. The humorous sign about the weapons also passed under his radar, despite the fact that it somewhat fit him, too. Almost.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

Dravick:

A strange time for Bridgeport, it is indeed... Dravick thinks to himself after the wiry man slips down the alley. He walks inside, towards his companions and sees the new people wearing guild pins. He is at a loss for words for a moment, and the situation is not helped when he hears the young girl speak a dialect from the west, from his childhood. Before he has a chance to get sentimental though He is puzzled by the girl who speaks with an accent similar to Zan's but when he hears Vlax's request to hear about what happened and Zan's stammering, he decided to take the spotlight.

"My friends, much has happened, and I shall tell you the whole story. He says in a metered and calculated voice as he swings his lute from his back and begins to pluck the strings, tuning his instrument and preparing to play. "You didn't happen to bring your fiddle did you? I wouldn't mind the accompaniment." He waits for Victor to join in if he wants before starting his tale.

"My friends, you will hear
    the tale of the corrupt doge,
    and how he met his grisly end,
    and how we came to be there to see."

Dravick continued his song of the tale of what happened to the Badgers, from the encounter at the palace and Zan's summoning of the ancient tree, to the portal that led them to the depth of Broken Mountain and the monsters they saw there. He detailed the actions of the weaver-doge and his alliance with the evil Master, and he gave a play-by-play of the fight with the dragon, dropping the tempo and the mood of the song when he spoke of Iva's brave sacrifice and slowly building the story back up as he recounted the retreat from the collapsing cave and their triumphant return to Bridgeport.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perform - (d20+8)[28]
    Woot! A natural 20 on my performance!
    Last edited by Thymin; 2008-09-24 at 01:54 PM.

Current Characters:

29. - Top - End - #29
    Firbolg in the Playground

Durx stands next to Dravick, previously listening.

s'not how I r'emember't

Durx smiles.

30. - Top - End - #30

Victor

"Good to meet you Dragutin, Kate, Sandra..." And then people were dropping things, and stuttering, and playing with swords. He eyes Sandra's riding leathers curiously, then turns his head to catch the last of Dravick's offer. At the prospect of playing something a bit less formal than usual, Victor's eyes light up. "Ah, yes, as a matter of fact I did." He takes a moment to retrieve it from by the bar and tune it to Dravick's instrument, and waits for the bard to begin. Afterward, it is rather obvious that Victor is not really on Dravick's level. "Whoo, lad, I hardly think Odlimarra himself could've told it better!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Perform - (1d20+3)[21]