New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Sarkomand, City of Kings (IC)

Sarkomand, Ascension Day

It is late night. A raven picks at something unseen in a ditch outside of a great city. The yellow moon, Baphomet, peeks through the dark clouds, seeming to keep a watchful eye on a place it has not seen in some time, given the massive downpours that have been assailing Sarkomand. The other two moons are asleep or hidden tonight. Four stone goliaths stand watch over a vast plain, some of it now flooded. The raven takes off between them, coming first to a gate, closed firm, as though doors alone can keep the rain away. Flying over the shut portal, a wide road leads into the city. The clay-brick road basks in the momentary warmth of the moonlight, shining like a stolen copper. Aside from the occasional tread of a Gendarme patrol, the city is quiet. Swooping down onto the street, and taking a sharp left turn into a dirtier part of town, our friend lands softly on a rooftop. Casting a glance down, he sees a flash, a thrust, then hears a grunt, a thud. A stocky figure runs off into the night. Sarkomand sleeps on.

Ascension Day, the 32nd celebration of the Emperor's rise to power, will soon be upon the city. It is the only day in which festivities are allowed in public, though alcohol consumption is strictly controlled through the sale of tickets. The city prepares. Windows are covered with decorative sashes and curtains, on the outside. Streets are repaired, so that no pothole can hold a puddle of water. Tithes are made to the Church of Laduguer, and nearly everyone works on into the night. Industriousness is the bane of chaos, the first pillar of order. Patrols are increased, and customs become tighter. Most criminal organizations are smart enough to quell their operations for the week. The stupider ones have all been caught and summarily destroyed. In fact, one of the more elaborate preparations involves the town center in Gatetown. A large scaffold is being resurrected, and on it, a clean, efficient contraption: a rectanglular thing in which rests a beautifully crafted blade. The guillotine ensures that the filth of Sarkomand get what they deserve, and was the mechanism of finality which sealed the Emperor's rule 32 years ago.

The Household Caderousse

Spoiler
    Show
    One household, hidden deep within the residential area of Hightown, is particularly busy. Count Gaspard Caderousse has been in good spirits, giving his slaves only an extra hour or two of work each day. His more important servants have been brought in from his outer holdings into the city to help prepare. The dwarves and demi-humans are set to the stables and doing minor construction and repairs. The humans are set to cleaning the house, running errands, and waiting on the Family Caderousse. Two elfin creatures are sometimes seen about the household; one tall, lithe, and graceful; the other short, sly, and quick. And, in fact, the children are rarely seen without being accompanied by one of the two elfin creatures.

The Countess Hermine is not quite so nice as her husband, and lays about her with a thick rod when the slaves make a mistake or otherwise annoy her. The rod disappears when company arrives, replaced by an equally dangerous smile. The eldest son, the Viscount Gaspard II has taken quite an interest in his father's affairs, and works hard studying accounts, law, and customs. Currently, he is a successful barrister in the Sarkomandian courts. The daughter, Viscountess Gabrielle, at 15, is soon to be of marriable age, and so the house has been receiving many potential suitors in recent months, though none has yet passed the Countess' strict inspection. The middle son is something of a mystery, but no less a symbol of pride for his father. He has been spending his time in the company of the faithful of Laduguer.

Both The Catalans and The Pharaon have been docked for the time being. They are being decorated for when the Emperor's ship comes into port on Ascension Day. The crews have been provided lodging at the Giant's Wake Inn at the wharf, an impossibly large building for an inn. One giant door stays open all day, as it requires two men to pull it shut.

The Iron Street Breakers are keeping things quiet, especially now that they have secured a firm hold over Dwarftown. And their members spend their time patrolling the streets where the Gendarmes don't go, or sleeping in dilapidated old shacks around town.

Our Intrepid Adventurers

Spoiler
    Show
    Alright, you guys know your roles, and a bit about the city. It's time for a bit of sandboxing before James gets in. Sandbox playing is where I have created a world, and you guys just roam around in it. Your Sandbox is Sarkomand, and the area immediately outside of the gates. Once we have posted here a few times to get used to the format, and James gets in, I'll post an adventure hook, and we'll get started for real!

The OC thread, in case you need it.
    Last edited by OneFamiliarFace; 2008-09-17 at 04:54 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Re: Sarkomand, City of Kings (IC)

Kurchek awakens in his room at the Giant's Wake Inn later than he's used to. Since the Catalans has been docked they've no need for a navigator or fisherman, so he has spent his afternoons of late assisting with the decorations to his ship. Though his height is rarely of assistance, his strength and balance usually is, so he tends to help carry boxes of ornaments to and from the ship itself. As he has no need to wear it (and since it is only a burden now), he doesn't wear his leather armor (custom-made of netting), leaving it in his room on most days (usually locked in the room's chest, if there is one).

He heads down for his morning meal. Afterwards, he leaves the inn to casually look for the man from whom he takes orders for the day, or Boddan, whichever he tends to happen upon first. As he walks along the cliff-shore, he pauses to bask in the glory that is the sea - which he sorely misses since the start of the preparation for Ascension Day. However, the job and pay are good on the Catalans, so he can put up with the occasional minor inconvenience for the sake of his boss, Lord Caderousse.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'd like to wander the dock district, looking for Toby or my boss. If I can't find them I want to head to the Temple of Laduguer to pay respects to Melora, or to her temple specifically, if there is one.

If we can call dibs on colors for our speech when speaking in-character, I'd like dibs on blue. Oh, and bold, too. Maybe a turquoise, if there is one (TO REPRESENT THE MIGHTY SEA, INFIDELS). Is there a place to find out what all the options are for this forum's text?

"Ah, the sea... how I long for thee! I hope it doesn't rain today!" Kurchek walks on.
    Last edited by Tangent; 2008-09-26 at 04:25 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Boddan: Tyranny Day

Somewhere in Dwarftown lies a shack made up of two walls of wooden planks nailed together and sheet metal for insulation lying against a “proper” building. The rickety walls of the shack vibrate at Boddan’s ridiculous snoring from within.

The morning’s rising sun shoots a beam of sunlight through one of the many gaps in the wall directly into the dwarf’s eye. Boddan stirs and sits up all while letting out a half sigh, half growl. The ad-hoc “bed” consisted of an overturned, oversized spool for wire of some sort. The ageing wood groaning beneath the Dwarf’s frame.

Boddan rubbed his eyes in an attempt to wake up and grasped behind him blindly with his free hand to drag his “pillow” closer. The pillow being a large rucksack with all manner of objects attached to the side. The most obvious items being two broad-headed battleaxes, a thick coil of hemp rope, and a pair of smithy’s goggles. The casual observer may wonder what’s actually inside the bag. Boddan drags a small barrel and a wooden stein from the sac and pours himself a glass.

After quickly downing the ale, the dwarf slid off the spool, splashing onto the muddy ground, and sets his pack on his shoulders. Boddan opens the shack’s “door” (a wooden cargo frame leaned against the open side of the shack) with a firm kick from his iron rimmed, hobnailed boots. The frame toppled over heavily into the wet mud, sending a healthy amount onto a nearby sleeping dreg.

The man snapped awake in a torrent of curses. Boddan stepped up onto the “door” paying the man no attention and bent over to grab a handful of mud. The mud was used to spike up the dwarf’s Mohawk, now lazy after the sea’s morning dew. Using the same muddied hand, Boddan pulled a piece of moldy bread from his belt pouch.

Boddan set off to continue his search from the previous night.
    Alcohol tickets. As many as he could get.

While passing the now glaring, mud covered man, Boddan spoke with a mouth full of moldy bread:

Happy Tyranny Day, cupcake.”

Spoiler
    Show
    Dibs on Red.
    Boddan will spend his efforts trying to finagle, intimidate, bruise, arm wrestle, bloody knuckles, and/or manual labor his way into more Alcohol Tickets.
    He's made a mental note to stop by Count Caderousse's residence as there may be a few to be had there or a point in the right direction.
    Last edited by Boddan; 2008-10-26 at 01:43 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Thumbs up Re: Sarkomand, City of Kings (IC)

Zocor: A Beautiful Day For ascensions

In one houshold hidden deep within the residential area of Hightown, another beautiful day dawns, almost unnoticed by Zocor Rahxephon. Already hours studying before dawn's warmth brought a knowing smile to his face, Zocor's own personal "celebrations" were about to come to a close. He had always been quick to decide how best to take advantage of a given situation and Ascension Day certainly a situation worth taking advantage of. Alcohol tickets, an Ascension Day commodity had not gone unnoticed by the right-minded folk Sarkomand. It didn't go unnoticed by Zocor, either. Every year, Zocor would meet a middle man in the times before Ascension Day to purchase alcohol tickets. Not because Zocor was one to partake overmuch of such vices, but because selling them to a second middle man was so much more profitable. The opportunities for meeting up with the middle man and selling the tickets were planned and would appear throughout the morning. For now, it was time for this morning's taks which, for this morning, meant assuring the "children" were ready for the day's festivities. The first, for Zocor, being breakfast. Ascension Day meant an exceptionally fine breakfast.
    "Another beautiful day, indeed."

Spoiler
    Show
    Zocor does his regular job of tending to the kids. Today, not so much on studies, but in tandem with the other elf, making sure the children are properly prepared for their festivities for the day. He also has pre-arranged times for meeting up with his buyer at various locations throughout the morning that ensure that, should something come up at the first meeting time, that there would be more chances to ensure the exchange be made. This has proven a profitable venture for all involved for many years so there is no expectation of any problems
    Last edited by localnowhere; 2008-10-07 at 12:19 PM. Reason: helps you reference

5. - Top - End - #5

GnomeWizardGuy

Boddan: The Hustle and Bustle

Spoiler
    Show
    Boddan finds himself on a street filled with clean-gangs, lines of young children, women, and small demi-humans chained up together and cleaning the streets. Guards, wearing either dark blue chainmail or purplish garments of fine make, stand by the gangs, occasionally lashing out at one with cudgel, whip, or spell. Normally, Dwarftown doesn't see so much activity, but the Emperor chooses where he walks, and to not present itself well, even once, could mean the entirety of the district in chains.

Boddan has heard that a member of the Caderousse staff often manages to get his hands on some extra alcohol tickets, a tall, elfin man who tutors the children. Knowing he would not be welcome in that area without metal around his legs, Boddan heads to The Four Horsemen in Gatetown to await his contact. In the meantime, perhaps he can enjoy a beer.

Zocor: One Big, Happy Family

Spoiler
    Show
    The Caderousse family is in a state of high excitement. Zocor takes care of the youngest, but Viscount Gaspard II is already away on business. He dines with the other household servants: a young gnome who seems like he is only clean because he has to be, two battle-scarred human veterans now hired as guards, and a young maiden who takes care of the cleaning and helps with cooking.

After breakfast, Zocor thinks it would be a good idea to get an early start, and he has been given the morning off as requested, though he will have to do extra work later to make up for it. His contact, a despicable, middle-aged man by the name of Pierre la Frond can usually be found at The Four Horsemen at night, but he has made an exception for Zocor today and will be there promptly, a few hours after sunrise.

Kurchek: A Keg of Gunther's Finest

Spoiler
    Show
    Kurchek wanders around at the docks for a bit, not quite sure what he is looking for. He does see the preparations for Ascension Day in full swing. Primarily, there is a new statue of the Emperor being carved to overlook Chaeteu D'If. The face is not yet complete, but a team of dwarves and humans, some in chains, swarm over the grounds, carrying, lifting, and carving. The statue has one fist outstretched, pointing towards the new prison, and the other behind its back, clutched into a ball as well, the joint symbols of dominion and duty respectably, as even shorttime residents of Sarkomand know.

Upon returning to your ship, a thick, heavyset dwarf with a nose that looks to have been broken more than once hails you from the deck. His hair is done into thick, black braids, and his beard is forked and tucked into his belt. He is shirtless, and a large, puckered scar stands out on his left shoulder. The result of a marauder's spear. Kurchek knows this because the dwarf is his captain, "Brokenose" Borundir Dungold, a former pirate turned merchant with the changes in the Frenzy Coast Trading Company, which allowed a dishonest man to be dishonest more honestly.

"Ho there, Kurchek! I gotta job for ya, but ya ran off afore I could rightly get yer attention. He slams his fist down on a keg. This here is a keg o Gunther's finest Blackpowder Brew, and I want yer ta take it over ta The Four Horsemen in Gatetown. Ol' Fin'll be glad to see it, I'm sure. Bring the money back here, and he'll pay ya in a drink or two for the delivery." And with that, Brokenose Borundir leaps back down into the hold to continue repairs and general work.

The Four Horsemen

The tavern itself is quite well built of sturdy wood. Outside is a sign that looks to have had something else on it, before it was painted over with four horses carrying riders with different weapons. Inside, a warm fire keeps away the Sarkomandian mug, and patrons of all types sit about, though they are mostly human. Almost always behind the bar is the pub's patron, Fin du Monde, an older man with streaks of grey in his black hair and well-trimmed mustache. He is usually dressed in shades of light blue, with a shirt that shows off a good amount of his hairy chest. Other than Fin, the staff includes his beautiful daughter Henrietta; a well-endowed, middle-aged woman called Lucille; and an ugly-as-sin goblin named Ick.

As Kurchek rolls in the giant keg, he sees the patrons are mostly human, but there is a surly looking dwarf with a grease in his hair and no shirt on sitting at the bar. He recognizes Boddan. In one dark corner is Zocor, sitting with a sharp-nose, rat-faced man with his hair and thin mustache slicked back wetly. So what happens now?

Also:

Spoiler
    Show
    Remember to put your name up in bold at the top of each post. It would also help if you put a short, half-sentence summary of your condition or actions, much as I did above. But keep those summaries out of bold. This just helps me reference things from before. Once I can get Daniel posting, we will begin the campaign proper.
    Last edited by OneFamiliarFace; 2008-10-07 at 02:42 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Boddan: Love at First Sight

Boddan glances up at the sound of another patron arriving at the tavern, only to see his old aquaintance Kurchek rolling in the best thing Boddan had seen all day: a full keg of fine ale.

The slayer quickly slides off the stool and approaches Kurchek, all smiles.

"Oi oi! Ye brought me a fine gift did ye? Un all I gut fer ya in return is me pretty face and impeccable company!"

After allowing a moment or two to verify he won't be getting any free ale, Boddan continues:

"...can't fault me for tryin. That elf over der wif the manling-weasel, he's in the employ of Caderousse, aye?"

Spoiler
    Show
    After the confirmation of Zocor bein the elf I'm lookin for, I'll take my stool again and down a few pints with Kurchek while waiting for Zocor to finish his meeting. Boddan will approach him afterwords, friendly and brash, and see what it'll take for a ticket or twelve

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Kurchek: Keg Duty

"Aye, Borundir! I can take it. Hand it over!" Kurchek rolls the keg most of the way, and when he can't, he hefts it onto his back with the help of a random passerby. As soon as he gets it over the hill or what-have-you, he places it back on the ground to roll.

When Kurchek gets to the tavern he stops to get a better look at the sign, in an attempt to discern what may have been on it before the current symbol.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception: (1d20+3)[8]

Upon entering the tavern, I'll roll the keg up to Fin and collect the money. "Here you go, Fin! Straight from Gunther!" After pocketing it, I'll wait to see if he offers drinks in payment for the delivery.

"Boddan! I don't know about your company, but I'll take that pretty face any day! HAR HAR HAR!" Kurchek has a seat at the bar with Boddan and offers to split his payment of drinks (assuming he received them) 50/50. "Indeed, I believe the man IS in the employ of Caderousse... I've seen him a few times. Seems an enterprising fellow. You have business with him?"
    Last edited by Tangent; 2008-10-09 at 01:14 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Boddan: Operation Intoxication

"Aye, that I do! I 'ears he's the elf to talk to regardin alcohol tickets. A noble venture, if there ever was one," says Boddan with a wink.

Spoiler
    Show
    Glug glug until I can offer my services, as unprofessional as they may be, to Zocor. If it matters... you may wanna keep a tab runnin for Boddan...

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Post Re: Sarkomand, City of Kings (IC)

Zocor: Market Value

You understand, Pierre, that the longer we are here, the greater the demand for this tinder becomes.
    Spoiler
    Show

Intimidate:(1d20)[14]

As always, I don't care if you spend them yourself or take the more financially viable course of action and make youreslf a profit, but you should know by now, after all these years, if you're going to try to haggle me... you're only making it harder on yourself
    Spoiler
    Show
    Zocor plans on selling all but two of the alcohol tickets that he had acquired, one that he left at home and one of the ones he brought with him, tucked away in his shoe. If faced with any resistance to initial deal, Zocor will continue to press his non-existent Intimidation skills on the weasel-man whether they work or not, but will absolutely not back down from selling the tickets for at least twice as much as the last one he acquired confident in the knowledge that finding a new middleman in this place would not be a problem. If Pierre refuses to buy any or all of the tickets, Zocor will politely ask Pierre to scram and pull out a book he'd been studying until approached. Zocor will be cautious and assume that whoever is approaching wants alcohol tickets: either as a business transaction or as thief. In the former, he will put on the same act as he had with Pierre, in the latter, he will put the thief to sleep, take all his money and leave him with the most dubious looking of his remaining alcohol tickets up to half the value of the money he takes from the thief. In the case of the thief, he will then approach the owner of The Four Horsemen, pay of his tab, and offer an alcohol ticket for any trouble.
    Last edited by localnowhere; 2008-10-13 at 06:44 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Gondlir: Drowning Sorrows

To quiet his head, the once proud member of the Gendarmes frequents the Four Horsemen. It's loud enough in there to chase away any cogent inkling of regret or self-pity. Gondlir raises his mug and beckons to the barmaid.

"Another one of these Lucille, and make it fast I've got to help the dolts decorate that leaky rat's nests they call a ship! Time is of the essence wench!"

Too many hours has he sat alone in his shack in the edge of Dwarftown, waiting, almost willing himself out of the newly imposed shell of his once proud life. He had been doing menial dock work for a few silver a day for the last month, and he needed a way out.

Gondlir looks up and notices a few dwarves arguing over a newly arrived keg.

"Hail Boddan!

Spoiler
    Show
    Ideally, Gondlir would know Boddan from his association with the Iron Street Breakers (see my character sheet). If that isn't possible, Gondlir could also have just known Boddan's brother Brimrik the smith,

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGirl

Neesh: The Hazards of City Life

Neesh waited outside the Four Horsemen for her familiar partner in crime. After a few moments, Neesh began to impatiently bite her nails, which soon led to sharpening her dagger and eventually to knitting what she mentally referred to as a “coin-cozy;” this one was shaped like a kitten’s head, with pointy orange ears and a round white face that could hold several silver pieces. Probably wishful thinking since she’d gone a few weeks without more than five copper in her pocket at any one time.

After a few minutes Ick, her usual partner-in-crime, stuck her head out of the kitchen door, just as Neesh felt the sickening squish of the remains of a small squirrel beneath her foot. Apparently the overzealous rodent had attempted to dart across the road at an inopportune time.

“Ick!” she exclaimed.

Neesh looks around to make sure the "Eyes of the Emperor" are otherwise occupied.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception: (1d20+5)[13] Neesh will attempt to speak to Ick in goblin to discuss "enterprising ventures" such as relieving the robed gentleman she'd been following (Zocor) of his valuables.

12. - Top - End - #12

GnomeWizardGuy

At the Inn:

As people carry on their conversations, a few people come in and set up a game of The Fourth King, laying down petty bets on the cards as bigger ones are frowned upon by the gendarmes. We travel about and see how a few people are doing...

Neesh, Ick Occupied

Spoiler
    Show
    Ick pokes his head from around the kitchen, wearing a greasy apron and a tall, white cap, set slightly askew on his misshapen pate. He talks with an elegance uncommon to creatures of his kind, which is to say gutterally and hard to understand. "Go away. Go away! You knows I can't be doin that kind of stuff here at the business. Dis pays way, way better an pilferin a few coppers wif da likes a you! Asides, you should know betta an to go about gettin in trouble dis close to Ascension day! The gendarmes is out in force." The goblin doesn't seem to want to have anything to do with Neesh today.

As she looks around to see if any guards are around, and she sees them, in droves. They are posted at regular intervals up and down the street. But soon her eye catches something more important, and it is hard to stifle a groan as the uptight servant of Count Caderousse, Larkins, is bustling towards the inn at a high speed. Upon seeing Neesh, his brow raises and he comes to a skidding halt.

His cordial smile reminds her that the Count has not forgotten the small debt she owes him for not having turned her in on her first foray into his grounds. "Ah, Miss Neesh, it is quite fortunate that I should find you here, as it saves me the trouble of stopping by your...*ahem*...abode. Please, please, come inside quickly."

Zocor, a tough deal

Spoiler
    Show
    Pierre plays at his mustache with one hand, smiling intermittently as he and Zocor discuss the terms. He is a formidable dealer, but the whole conversation is really just for show. Pierre and Zocor have been doing this for years, and they both know where the terms will end up.

"Friend Zocor, you do me a disservice in trying to insinuate you would go somewhere else. We both know that my Order is the only one capable of taking on so many tickets. Honestly, I still can't fathom how you come by them all." He holds up a hand, and a cold look gleams briefly in his eye. "Of course, I do not wish to fathom it. When I am dealing in information, you will know it."

Just as Pierre throws his pouch upon the table, which Zocor notices he did not add or remove anything from, and grabs the tickets, the tavern door creaks open, and a man walks in with a small, pale lady.

Everyone turns to look, as people do...

A well-dressed man is standing at the door, with his collar buttoned all the way up and his hat on his head, despite the heat. He is clean-shaven, but for two crisp sideburns which cut down from his immaculate brown hair to just past his ears. His boots, despite the dusty outdoors, shine as though he has just put them on. Everyone recognizes him as Larkins, Count Caderousse's very capable man. Larkins gathers you all up, paying for whatever drinks are not yet payed for, and very politely excuses Pierre la Frond from the scene.

"Yes. Excellent. It is most fortunate indeed that I should find you all here in the same place! Though, Monsieur Zocor, I would briefly question you as to how you find yourself in such disreputable company. Well, anyway, this place is quite drab is it not? This isn't really a place to do business at all. No. No. The Count wishes for you all to be his honored guests this evening at his townhouse. You will, of course, be provided a meal for your troubles."

He notices that not everyone seems particularly interested in what he is saying, so he adds, "Of course, this will lead to a good amount of work for you all, for which you will be rewarded handsomely. And, for a few of our less agreeable persons," he looks at Neesh and Gondlir, "You will find that the Count sees Ascension Day as a time to forget old debts." He emphasizes the last two words.

"Well, I must be off then. I do hope you enjoy the rest of your day, and I thank you all for being so conveniently located!" And with that, Larkins is quickly, and efficiently, out the door.

OOC:

Spoiler
    Show
    You guys are free to say what you are doing until then. I encourage you to "take care of your town stuff" now, so that we can jump right into it from the townhouse.

One more piece of PbP etiquette that I have forgotten to mention: other than minor play with DM characters, you can't say what other player's characters are doing. No one has done this yet, but I wanted to nip it in the bud before it started, as it is the biggest of PbP no-noes. But stuff like what Kat did, please continue to do that, as it definitely makes the world more vibrant. (And Kat, I'm sorry that couldn't go anywhere. If we were all in person, it certainly would have, but I decided to hurry it along instead.)

As we go along, these notes should get less and less. I do hope you'll excuse all of my random rules, and take my almost too in depth replies and posts as a form of reparations! Later all.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Kurchek: Handling His Bidness

Kurchek ceremoniously finishes his free drinks with Boddan and proceeds to unceremoniously **** around the town until its time to meet for dinner, as the ale has instilled in him a strong desire to not work for the rest of the day, or at least until he gets a nap.

If anyone needs help with anything, Kurchek offers his (free) services.

Spoiler
    Show
    Was my Perception check good enough to notice anything about the sign on the tavern?
    Last edited by Tangent; 2008-10-27 at 09:39 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Boddan: Job? Check. Drunk? In Progress...

As Larkins leaves, the two dwarves finish their mugs excited to have new work lined up. Boddan wishes Kurchek a fond farewell until they see each other again that night (read: belches loudly and nods with a toothy grin to Kurchek as he leaves)

Henrietta, the dwarf's waitress, asked him what that was about.

"Look'n like I've got sm'work, aye?! Sounds as though we may be gone for a while... I best get packed."

Boddan looks at his rucksac lying near his feet by his stool.

"Oh good."

Boddan slides from the stool and walks lazily out the door. Henrietta and Fin both ask at the same time: "What about your pack?"

"I've gut a date t'night! Ima get cleaned up! I be right back."

From inside the tavern, anyone near the entrace could hear a couple of loud splashes, presumably from the horse trough outside, followed by a very loud roar-laugh. Boddan enters the tavern once more very energetically, significantly less greasy, significantly more drippy, and a few strands of straw in his hair. The dwarf walks back to the bar and shakes off like a dog. Boddan goes into an energetic tirade while pointing at each person he's addressing in turn:

"Right! Ya 'eard the poof! Henrietta get me two pints for the road. Larkins is buyin!"
    "Gondlir, I 'aven't seen you in weeks! Ready for anotha arm wrestlin match? Loser dances with the greenskin!"
    "You!" As he points at Neesh. "...You have red hair."
    "Elf! Zocor was it? I 'ear you got sm'drinkin tickets and I can still stand... you can see me predicament."

Spoiler
    Show

OOC. We can just skip that bit about the tickets =) and move onto the night. Was just keepin to my principles...
    I'll catch up with Gondlir during the day if he doesn't have more pressing business. As well as take any opportunity to meet Neesh and inquire to the "debt" mentioned for herself and Gondlir.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Gondlir: Misgivings

Gondlir beckons to Boddan with a belch.

"Have I not told you the story, ye bearded toadstool?! Well come sit and by-and-by, ye shall learn of it. Bring your pasty friend and we'll have us a game."

The three move to a quiet corner of the tavern and Gondlir begins.

I know not what this tide brings, but I can't imagine it to be more fortuitous than the last. I've worked for these sorts before, and they know only to use, never to love your company. I say we do whatever this son-of-a-prize-mare asks, for now, but all of ye mark my words, no good will come of this!"

Gondlir takes out a pair of dice and tosses them unceremoniously against the corner, pretending to play as a ruse to cover the subversive nature of his gruntings. He goes on:

Now listen here...From the look of you two I'd wager the three of us with the least amongst we five. Even yer friend, Boddan, he's got some trappings that shame our measly rags. We got naught but the shirts on our backs, and mayhaps varying degrees of undergarment, aye lass? That's naught close to the point, though. The bigger part o' my mind is after a little backpay you might say, and I'd wager they think they've got their hooks in me... They say one good stab in the back deserves another? What say you, we all wait for them to lay down their cards and then we take the whole pot?"

Checks:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff for pretending to play dice (1d20)[12]
    If pressed, Gondlir will do as he is expected by the authorities, but will generally take any opportunity to take out his misplaced aggression on any member of a higher social strata. After a few games of dice, he will piss away the remainder of the time waiting following Neesh around attempting to figure out her motivations perception (1d20)[5]

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGirl

Neesh: Nod and Smile

Neesh listens, eyes rolling, to the tall bearded fellow ramble on and on for a few moments, until her impatience gets the best of her.

Be quiet you, the Emperor's got more sensory organs than he knows what to do with, err, figuratively at least, one never knows what the real regent may be lacking...Or blessed with in abundance. I could be dragged off to the Gatetown just for muttering this nonsense. Now both of you, let's talk about something more interesting... Like this.

Neesh draws her recent knitted-abomination from of her backpack.

It's a woolen neckguard for vampire hunters! They just dip it in holy water, then dry it out to wear as a lovely scarf... Although perhaps I should have used a smaller needle, do you two think a fang could fit around this ribbing?"

Chattering breathlessly in an effort to distract her would-be companions from their necessarily self-destructive behavior, Neesh ponders the various recent events. She wonders, for instance, why an adolescent detour into the Count's garden to pilfer a few apples should constitute some kind of life-debt to the pompous patriarch.It was just fruit after all. She wonders if she should just sleep with him to get on his good side, or better yet, slide a dagger between his ribs. No no, best to just do what he wants for now. He had been kind to her foster-father, always sent them a few tickets around the coming holiday.

Her mind begins to drift...

Checks:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Neesh will hang around with Gondlir and Boddan, trying to get some understanding of their motivations through conversation, until the next relevant plot point. Not sure which of these I'd need to roll for that:
    Insight (1d20+2)[21]
    Perception (1d20+5)[19]

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll give both of em a shot!

History:(1d20+5)[24]

Insight:(1d20+8)[13]

18. - Top - End - #18

GnomeWizardGuy

A Flash in the Night

As you are all planning on going your separate ways, the hustle and bustle outdoors turns to a commotion very quickly. Anyone who deigns to run outside is rewarded with the not so uncommon sight of a dwarf hightailing it from the Gendarmes. He is too slow. They always are. As the dark blue clad guards grab the dwarf, a metallic object falls from his hand and hits the ground with a clang. It is a knife with a rusty stain on it. This is summarily picked up by the Gendarmes, along with their catch, and both are carted off towards Dwarftown, presumably to continue onwards to the Chateau d'If.

It quickly becomes clear that the dwarf is a Breaker from the tatooed hammer-destroying-a shield on his bare chest, not hidden by a beard as his beard is short and sweeps back over his shoulders. None of you recognize him though, despite the distinctive beard and a cruel scar that cuts across his upper lip and loops back to his right ear, which is mostly missing.

This bodes ill for the gang.

Spoiler
    Show
    I will still wait to see if the remaining people have any responses to the last post's events before I wisk you away to the mansion.

Tyler, your sharp grasp of history allows you to delve in and remember that there used to be a bar called The Heron here some time ago, but it predates the Emperor's rise, and you can remember little else about it.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Gondlir: Naysaying

See that! That's how it starts...

Gondlir is disturbed not just by the violence of the scene, hell, he enjoys a good scrap as much as anyone, rather he is irked by the spectacle of the whole event...As if it were a pageant for the holiday crowd... It's happened before, but why would an Iron Street Breaker cause trouble so far from Dwarftown, and alone no less.

Checks:

Spoiler
    Show
    Gondlir rolls a perception check to see if the dwarf did indeed drop the knife, or if it was some manner of frame-up. Perception : (1d20)[13]
    After that, Gondlir will obligingly follow follow the group to the mansion

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Aish... Did you see that, Boddan? That looked a bit like blood, if I'm not mistaken. Do you recognize him? Well, either way... Turning to Neesh and Gondlir: Now that we're... uh... outside... I believe the introductions are in the order! I am Kurchek! I've got a cure for what ails ya, so queue it up! HAR HAR HAR! I learned that word just the other drunk! I mean night! HAR HAR HAR! But seriously, addiction's in the ol' family tree, so best not to joke. Anyway, would anyone like to uh... cart around some supplies? Or, uh, climb some ropes? Or... just go to the manor? Maybe that's the best option. Learned that one, too!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Gondlir eyes Kurchek suspiciously.

A dwarf of the cloth aye? ... How do ye get away with that in this town, quite a gamble, surely. Your holy innards radiate like... what is that smell, day-old clams? I'd be wary of the guards, they may notice either oddity.

Seeing Kurchek's expression, Gondlir seems to soften for a moment..

I've got nothing against ye personally, 'tis just a general mistrust for the carriers of the social ether. An old dwarf I used to know when I was in the Gendarmes, Karl, has name was. He'd go on about the ills of organized religion. Twas I what dragged him off for blaspheming the emperor. I feel a might driven to carry on his words, lest they be lost. Tissn't as though I have much to fear from the powers that be anymore...

As the group surrounding Gondlir looks away so as not to be drawn into his pathetic grousing, Gondlir sighs and reaches down to shake Kurchek's hand.

Good to have met ye, Kurchek

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Kurchek: Salty

"It's no problem, friend. That smell is just the oysters I downed last night!"

23. - Top - End - #23

GnomeWizardGuy

At the House Caderousse, the dm wishes that didn't rhyme

The Waiting Room:

As you enter the waiting room, Larkins is there, standing nearly at attention. The room is full of hunting prizes and other trophies belonging to Count Caderousse. These include numerous bandits' weapons from his days in the military. The room, however, is dominated by a large portrait of the Emperor. In the painting, he is a young man in royal blue. He is sitting in an elegant chair, with his head turned to face outwards. At first glance, he seems quite unremarkable, though a bit handsome. But a clearer look at the painting shows a strain around his unsmiling eyes and that his hands are clenching the arms of the chair. Even those of you who don't have any feelings for the Emperor can't help but feel imposed upon and watched by the man in the painting.

He offers to take any coats/hats/helmets/armors you might have so as to make your stay more comfortable. He also hands Boddan a shirt, saying how Boddan should remember how the Count does not wish Boddan to be around his children in such a mess, and then, in an almost motherly manner proceeds to clean up the dwarf as best he can, given the circumstances.

The Dining Room:

When everything is taken care of, Larkins invites the group into the dining room. It is an elegant place, full of every refinement. A painting sits over the far door of the Count and his family, who gets up to leave as you all enter. His wife is a beautiful, if shrewd, woman who graces you all with a scathing glare as she hustles her youngest children out of the room. Only the Count and Viscount are left. A cabinet of glass and porcelain goods from the Northern Kingdoms adorns one side of the room, and is filled with very expensive pieces, the centerpiece of which is a vase of seemingly glass flowers, but they seem to bloom into real marigolds every so often, before collapsing again into closed glass buds. Standing next to the back door is a small, elfin creature, who you recognize as a gnome. The Count refers to him as "Shawshank" and often calls him over for minor tasks.

The Dinner Begins:

At the head of the table is Count Caderousse himself. He looks to have been a sharp, athletic man in his youth, but now years of spoils have rounded out his form, and given him a gentle face and slightly rotund mid section. Still, his clothes are tailored well, and he carries himself with the grace of nobility. A thin mustache and pointed goatee surround his mouth and formerly angular chin. And his hair has an unruly strand which escapes the greased back recesses of the rest and comes down to just above his steel grey eyes.

While the Count speaks boisterously, his son, who could be a copy of the Count from his youth, sits quietly and listens, absorbing the coversation as he does his meal. "Welcome! Haha, by the emperor's will, it does an aging gentlemen good to find himself in such low company now and again. Oh, I mean no offense of course. I grew up a bit of a ruffian myself, you know, so it brings back memories to a nobleman whose world has become little more than books and crunching numbers. Well, anyway, a smart man never does business on an empty stomach. Or, at least, as you can see, this man certainly does not!" He gestures to his stomach with a twinkle in his eye.

The meal is a simple affair, but more than many of you are used to. It is only three courses: pheasant, a lamb soup with vegetables, and then a fine steak from the cattle the Count owns on his holdings to the east.

OOC:

Spoiler
    Show
    Feel free to ask any questions or say what you are doing. Leaving your seat or moving about the room is considered to be highly irregular and often quite rude though. If none are forthcoming, then we will skip to the business at the end of the meal. I wanted to get to the business this post, but man it is way too long. Sorry about that.
    Last edited by OneFamiliarFace; 2008-11-03 at 06:42 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Kurchek: Having Second Thoughts

"Count Caderousse, have you any knowledge of the Breaker recently arrested in town?"
    Last edited by Tangent; 2008-11-03 at 09:06 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Gondlir: Stoking the Cinders

"Yes, your Illustriousness," Gondlir flourishes with measured sarcasm, "I too would 'juice your brain' over the subject, as our green-skinned friends are so fond of saying... Do please excuse the mention of such vulgarities in so polite company. I beg your lordship remember there are those even lowlier than your current guests."

Spoiler
    Show

The degree of sarcasm Gondlir expresses is directly proportional to the certainty he maintains about whether or not said event was performed or simply experienced unrehearsed by all parties. If for instance, Gondlir saw the knife planted in the dwarf's hand, he might get himself in some trouble. I would remind all parties that I am keeping completely within Gondlir's character, which incidentally might preclude his having a long life, little babies, or a pink house with two cats in the yard. Such is the plight of the revolutionary.
    Last edited by Jing Ke; 2008-11-03 at 02:17 PM. Reason: I forgot to give a title.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

Boddan: Free Meal!

Boddan feels like a fish out of water in a mansion and a shirt! The dwarf keeps mostly quiet during the meal with the exception of eating everything in range, burping, and growling at any servant approaching to clear his plates.

At Kurchek's question, Boddan's head rose for the first time since being served and awaits a response from the Count.

With Gondlir's addition, Boddan whispers to the ex-gendarme next to him:

"Go easy manling. That'un may just elevate our own position in this lot... or at least pay us enough to kiss sobriety g'bye for good, aye?!"
    Last edited by Boddan; 2008-11-03 at 09:22 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Gondlir: A Dwarf in Your Bonnet

"Well said ye armored bar stool. Best keep quiet lest the favor your race enjoys be undermined solely by my pointed inquires." Gondlir whispers back to the well-intentioned dwarf.

"So how 'bout it My Lord? Apparently, the lowliest of your would-be dissenters is willing to be bought off with booze. Entertaining our question cannot be ultimately detrimental to a power base as solid as yours."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Post Re: Sarkomand, City of Kings (IC)

Zocor: Anticipation

Zocor smiles and enjoys dinner
    Last edited by localnowhere; 2008-11-08 at 01:18 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGirl

Neesh: Drama!!!

Neesh absentmindedly soaks her bread in the lamb soup, glancing eagerly from face to face. Everyone has gone quiet and Gondlir's tactless blustering has filled the room with a tension, almost palatable, that she swears has somehow mingled to sour the vegetables in her dish. She continues to eat and watch in silence.
    Last edited by DieKatze; 2008-11-06 at 05:22 PM. Reason: misspellings-NOOOOOO

30. - Top - End - #30

GnomeWizardGuy

The Count counts to ten.

As the Count is about to answer Kurchek's question, Gondlir speaks up, and he stops short. His jaw clenches almost imperceptibly, and he smiles. "Dear Gondlir, I would beg to remind you that, though we may be ruffians, we certainly do not count those disgusting blighters among our company. Nor shall we ever at the Caderousse holdings. It would also behoove us all to remember that Laduguer and the good Emperor teach us daily it is only through toiling together that we may succeed in this dismal world. We must repect our kinsmen and our superiors." There is a deadly emphasis on superiors. And with that, the count regains his merry composure.

"As to your original question, friend Kurchek, Ungard has already told me of the arrest. In fact, he knew it would happen before it did. It appears our friend Sol, the young dwarf in question, took it upon himself to alleviate the Breakers of one of the Gendarme's informants last night.

We will have to deal with that in due time, but for now it is better to sever connections with the Breakers until further notice. This is one of the reasons I have asked you, Boddan, and Gondlir to run this other errand for me. Ungard will keep an eye on events in Dwarftown for us. And that is that."

The meal continues without incidence, and, when Shawshank is sent off on an errand, the diners are left alone over a single glass of wine each. The Count ignores his and leans excitedly over the table. The Viscount rolls his eyes at his father's enthusiasm.

"Now, on with business. As you all know, Ascension Day is nearly upon us. As you may not know, it is the Emperor who has been so kind as to furnish me with my title and position in lieu of some services which I rendered him back in my... Well, the days when a merchant was better off a pirate. But, unless I am able to render him a further service, this is as far as I go.

Well, young Shawshank, whose presence, I am sorry to say, will not be possible, has discovered a boon. A mere two days ride to the north, an interesting thing has occured. It would be useful enough to historians, in that it seems to indicate that the Northern Kingdoms reached farther into Sarkomand than has ever previously been known. But it will serve our purposes far greater.

The occurence is thus: just yesterday, a heretofore unknown bunker was revealed as an old illusory hill simply disappeared. Such an illusion is neither easy, nor cheap to create, and I can only expect that something of great value remains there. I want you to inflitrate the bunker and find whatever item it was constructed to guard. Then you bring it back to me before Ascension Day, and you will most likely find yourself a significant amount richer, in addition to being supplied with enough tickets to keep you drunk well into next week.

What do you say?"

OOC:

Spoiler
    Show
    Anyone can make either a Diplomacy check or a History check in order to impress the Count during the course of the dinner. I don't know that this will matter yet, but we'll see how it goes. Diplomacy indicates that you are a good conversationalist. History indicates that you are knowledgeable about issues of nobility and the kingdom. Failure by a significant amount will be to the counts general displeasure.

If you make any other checks, tell me why.

Killing will begin shortly.