New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Kurchek is on it!

Kurchek gets up and moves as quickly as possible towards Lyndor, attacking!

Spoiler
    Show
    Kurchek is going to run and then charge and attack Lyndor, if possible. If not possible, he's going to just run twice to get as close as possible to Lyndor as he can. The Righteous Brand bonus goes to Neesh, if it hits.

Righteous Brand vs AC: (1d20+6)[9]

Damage: (1d8+3)[4]

2. - Top - End - #182
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Sarkomand, City of Kings (IC)

Boddan rolls over from his back onto his side... and pulls a piece of rubble closer for a pillow.

Good luck fellas!

3. - Top - End - #183
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGirl

Neesh I'm a backstabber!

Neesh assumes she has established at least a basic advantage of some kind from all her maneuvering. She readies her shortsword and plunges it into the squishy part between his shell ( hopefully he's not one of those turtles that can leap out of his shell and/or wears it like a really poor guy would wear a barrel, this might all be a diversion).

Spoiler
    Show
    sly flourish, since that seems to be working for me
    Attack:(1d20+6)[10]
    Damage (1d6+3)[8] or 24? I don't really get the attack of opportunity thing.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

GondlirMother****er DIE!!!
    Bloodied
    7/24 hp, fort 15, ref 14, will 12

Gondlir hacks and slashes in an effort to play out the present situation through a physical manifestation of the overarching abstract genre, which in another universe defines his present actions. Is he acting through the will of an inter-dimensional being? Is he just really pissed off at this god-damned turtle? You decide!

Spoiler
    Show
    Gondlir attacks as per usual, and also uses one of his healing surges on his own person via INSPIRING WORD! ATT (1d20+6)[8] DAM (2d4+4)[8]

5. - Top - End - #185
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

It must be the Shell

Each of our intrepid heroes lashes out at Lyndor, and each of them misses. Unfortunately for our turtlish mage, he is still stuck between his many nemeses.

He does, however, have one final trick up his sleeve. Lyndor pulls up his sleeve and sweeps his arm in an arc in front of Kurchek and Neesh. It appears as though a giant, invisible blade rakes across the ground in front of him, throwing up rock debris as if it were a foot kicking sand.

Neesh steps nimbly aside, but the debris connects solidly with Kurchek.

Zocor flings another magical missle of force at the creature, but it too flies wide.

Spoiler
    Show
    Kurchek is up (Boddan is down, hehe). Neesh and Gondlir (who still have Combat Advantage are on deck). I am praying for higher to-hit rolls.

Gondlir: You already used inspiring word twice this encounter, so you can't use it again. I will assume instead that you use Second Wind (which allows you to use your healing surge), and that works, since you don't seem to have added the extra hp from your Inspiring Word anyway. Also, you wouldn't be able to attack when Second Winding, but your attack missed anyway.

Neesh and Gondlir: Combat Advantage means you get +2 to hit the enemy you have it against. You have CA because you are "flanking" the bad dude, meaning you are on either side of him. Neesh, the Rogue class gives you a special power when you have Combat Advantage, so that (once/round) when you hit, you deal +2d6 damage. So, when you are using "Sly Flourish," you can roll your short sword damage as 3d6+Dex modifier+Cha modifier.

Kurchek: Rock Blast hits for 11 damage. You don't think he can cast that spell again though.

Maps: I'm not going to bother with new maps. Kurchek is next to Neesh, and Gondlir is on the other side of Lyndor from Neesh. Lyndor CAN'T move from his spot without bringing holy hell down on himself because of Gondlir's Pin the Foe, so the map will be static for the remainder of the fight.

This Fight: Was apparently against entirely Level 2 guys, as I saw it on the boards that the Fire Beetle is notoriously overpowered (which is the base monster I used for the Stone Turtles). So rest assured you will be rewarded handsomely for this fight.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Kurchek doubles over as the wind is knocked out of him by the air blade. He struggles to gasp a single breath as he strikes out at Lyndor with his spear.

Spoiler
    Show
    Kurchek: HP- 1/26; AC 13; Fort 13; Ref 11; Will 15

Kurchek is at 1 hit point!

Righteous Brand vs AC: (1d20+5)[10]
    Damage: (1d8+3)[4]

Neesh gets a +3 to hit Lyndor if my attack hits.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGirl

Neesh: Like hacking down a tree

Neesh drops to a crouch balancing on her heels. She thrusts upward with her shortsword into the bane of her party's existance, the turtle-mage!

Spoiler
    Show
    ok, I hope this is right. Sly Flourish-
    Attack: (1d20+8)[9] +2 CA
    Damage [/roll]3d6+6[/roll]

8. - Top - End - #188
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    (3d6+6)[17] I probably missed anyway

9. - Top - End - #189
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Gondir: Crying won't help
    Bloodied
    7/24 hp, fort 15, ref 14, will 12

Gondlir waits for the turtle to turn to briefly glare at Neesh, then he drives the haft of his falchion into the turtle's head.

Spoiler
    Show
    Warlord's favor
    ATT (1d20+8)[22]
    DAM (4d4+4)[16]
    +2 power bonus to Neesh

10. - Top - End - #190

GnomeWizardGuy

Final Countdown

Everything seems to travel in slow motion. A simple sword swing seems to take a month (har har). But, as the Turtle-mage is confused by the whirlwind of misses flashing all around it, Gondlir's fist'n'haft crash down on its head, and it crumples to the ground.

Spoiler
    Show
    Gondlir: HIT! And Lyndor drops with Gondlir taking him out single-handedly. You can choose whether he is unconscious or dead, since you said you hit him with your haft.

Okay: Alright, one more combat in this dungeon. You guys are free to take a rest beforehand, since the thing doesn't seem to be getting out, but remember other groups are looking for this place.

Status: If I remember correctly, then all of you have used your dailies (Kurchek?), and this is the second combat, so you have reached a milestone, and everyone gains an action point. By my count, Gondlir has 2 and everyone else has 1 (but remember that you can only spend one per combat).

Rules Time:

Spoiler
    Show
    In 4e, given the nature of HPs as being more abstract, anytime someone is reduced to 0 HPs or less, the aggressor can decide if they killed the enemy or merely knocked them unconscious. This is mostly for PCs who want to take hostages. I might also use it for enemies if they don't want to kill you. I haven't seen a ruling in the books about that, so I would say it is handled exactly as if you are dying, except that you don't make dying rolls. In otherwords, you are unconscious until you heal from something, and you can't take actions (so it has to be from another player or a rest).

11. - Top - End - #191
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Gondlir: Vindication!!!

Gondlir stands over the unconscious corpse of Lyndor, the turtle whose might had thwarted all attempts to unseat it.... or something. He is less eloquent than he might have liked largely because dust and sweat have mingled in his eyes, and he may have developed tendinitis from swinging his hefty falchion around like a crazy person.

*pant pant* I think *pant pant* we won *pant pant*

Just to make sure, Gondlir pushes the turtle over on his back and begins hacking away at the turtle's neck in an attempt to sever his head. After successfully doing so, he holds the morbid trophy aloft for all to see.

Breathing a bit easier after his fit of decapitating rage I'm taking this head with me, just to make sure he stays dead... Or at least if he comes back we'll have a 'heads-up' aye Neesh? Gondlir jokes lamely dangling Lyndors head over his comrade.

He puts his thumb and forefinger on the turtles beak and opens its mouth in a macabre attempt at puppetry: I'm sorry I beat all of you nigh to death, at least your valiant leader was here to save your asses! Does anyone have a bit of lettuce for me to munch on, dying makes me oh-so hungry.

Gondlir sits down and begins to rest up, all the while playing with his grisly new bauble.

Spoiler
    Show
    If I can't hack off his head for some reason, I will take out my dagger and saw it off. I'll take 20 or whatever you can do in this version.
    Last edited by Jing Ke; 2009-03-19 at 10:39 AM.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Kurchek will head over to Boddan and will attempt to heal him to wake him up.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'd like to use a Healing Word, but I don't have any left until I complete a short rest. I'll wait however long I have to to regain one, then use it on Boddan.

Boddan, increase to zero hit points, then spend a healing surge (regaining its normal value) plus an additional (1d6+3)[6].

13. - Top - End - #193
    Dwarf in the Playground

Boddan

14/35 AC13 Fort15 Ref12 Will 12 0/10 Surges
    Bloodied

Boddan sits up with a grunt.

"Thank ye Kurchek."
    He says tiredly while rubbing the back of his neck.

"I take it we wo... the dwarf pauses as he notices Gondlir using Lyndor's head as a puppet. "Buwahahaha! AYE, we won indeed!"

The slayer stands up, still shaky from his wounds.

"So what's all this than? What did we interrupt?" The dwarf ponders aloud as he looks around the room.

Spoiler
    Show

I laughed pretty hard at the head-puppet thing. Gooood stuff.

I'm all outta surges for this next scrap. Go-go gadget slayer-mode!

14. - Top - End - #194
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGirl

Neesh: Turtle Genocide!!!

Neesh looks around, nods and sits down next to Boddan.

I killed the most! She whispers provokingly at the wounded dwarf.

I suggest we get our bearings before continuing on... Which conveniently gives me time to knit! Boddan, you should start knitting, it's really a means to keep the fingers spry... Also, you could make a beard-warmer... A little pink one would suit you.

Clicking her needles together furiously, she busies herself in the pursuit of a sock/quiver for her bolts.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Dwarf in the Playground

Boddan
    14/35 AC13 Fort15 Ref12 Will 12 0/10 Surges
    Bloodied

The dwarf looks up at Neesh with one eye quickly swelling shut and several gashes still bleeding freely but not mortally.

He gives a snorting laugh, "Thurs hope fur'ya yet." He flexes his fingers back and forth at her 'spry fingers' comment showing off his sausage sized digits. "Dun think I'd make a good seamstress, lass. 'Sides, purple is more me color, duncha tink?"

With that, the dwarf sits and rests his bones while the party looks around.

16. - Top - End - #196

GnomeWizardGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Go ahead and explain if you want to explore anything in particular. Remember that you haven't explored the upstairs either.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Kurchek decides to get up and take a look around the room (as he engages in his short rest), to remind himself of the layout. He asks Zocor to cast light such that the entire room is illuminated. He passes the stairs that they used to enter the room, circles the 4 pillars in the middle of the room, and pays attention to the circles drawn amongst the rubble between the pillars.

He'll head to the back of the room to take a look at what is back there.

Perception (if necessary): (1d20+3)[9]

18. - Top - End - #198

GnomeWizardGuy

Exploration, and Zocor's personality change?

As Kurcheck examines the circles, he figures that someone who knows about the arcane might know more. Indeed, as he gets near, Zocor cautions him: "Careful, dwarf. These are runes of restraint, meant to keep something dwelling within a prison. You'll notice I avoided them as I lay low the bulk of the enemy force." He smirks as he applies various goey substances and oils from his many pouches to his minor cuts and scrapes. Then he stands and walks over to the downed turtle. "I think I'll keep this as a reward." He bends and scoops up the creature's wand.

Kurchek moves away from the Eladrin to examine the rest of the room. The pillars seem to be for support and holding torches, while the true areas of interest are the backrooms. In one room, a wall has fallen in, and in both there are signs of rocks having crumbled from the ceiling above, making the dwarf glad he didn't happen to move around too much upstairs, lest he fall through the floor.

One room appears to be a storeroom of sorts, though the rocks from above have crushed many of the shelves into tinder and the items into pulp. It smells faintly of long-rotten food, and indeed a few animal bones and some former vegetable matter lie in one corner. Some few whole things exist among the debris, it would be difficult to tell which are valuable. One thing in particular catches Kurchek's eye: a fist-sized, tarnished silver statuette of a turtle with small sapphires for eyes. It looks as though it could fetch a price if polished.

The other room is clearly some kind of labratory, but it hasn't been used for years. Short, stubby candles, when lit, dimly reveal a small cage with the remains of a few turtles, the broken tubes and workings of alchemy, and various arcane circles transcribed around one corner of the room. A shelf with numerous books stands against one wall, but outright handling of most of them would crumble them to dust. Perhaps some knowledge checks would prevent the team from having to carry back the whole kit and caboodle (knowledge might also reveal the true nature of a caboodle). On one table, a few unbroken vials remain, filled with mysterious contents. One has a piece of paper adhered to it that says "curative draught." The other two are unlabeled and of different hues and smells.

In the back of the room is a grate of extremely heavy looking, iron bars over a dark hole. Your meagre light sources reveal little of the room below, other than that it is covered in rubble. Heavy chains connect the grate to a pulley, which in turn is connected to a rotating mechanism, which clearly can be used to lift the grate.

Spoiler
    Show
    Good party interactions guys.

Don't forget you haven't explored the top.

Full map is forthcoming, as I need to be on my home PC, but it isn't really necessary.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Kurchek will pick up the vial labeled "curative draught". In addition, he'll take the tarnished silver statue as he heads back to the rest of the group.

"'Ey there, Boddan, maybe this would do you some good." Kurchek passes the curative draught to Boddan for handy storage.

"And take a look at THIS! Should help us mend our armor a bit once we get back to town." Kurchek holds the silver statue up for the rest of the group to see before pocketing it into his pack.

"Zocor, d'you mind taking a look at the other alchemical oddities there in that room? You might have more luck than I. But if I could venture a guess, it looks t'me like they've been experimentin' on these turtles, maybe making the ones we just killed."

"If anyone would like to join me, I'll head upstairs to see if I can find anythin' else that might cast some light on this place. Actually, Zocor, could you cast some light on this rock for me? HAR HAR HAR!" Kurchek obviously thinks this is hilarious. He heads back upstairs to check around on the first floor.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll make a couple of knowledge checks about the caboodle, mainly because I don't know which one would apply here.

Arcana: (1d20)[20]
    History: (1d20+5)[23]
    Religion: (1d20+5)[6]

20. - Top - End - #200
    Dwarf in the Playground

Boddan

The slayer stands up sorely, accepts the vial from Kurchek with grunted appreciation, and joins Kurchek to take a look around on the level above. While up there, Boddan is careful to watch the ceiling for areas where the over sized bat may return.

When finished upstairs, Boddan will trudge down to the room holding the grating with darkness beneath it. The dwarf lights a torch from the side of the grate and drops it between the rungs in an attempt to light the area below.

Spoiler
    Show

Perception: (1d20+7)[13]
    Dungeoneering: (1d20+9)[16]

21. - Top - End - #201

GnomeWizardGuy

In Which Little is Revealed

Zocor and Kurchek, working together on the musty books manage to find themselves an old book that is mostly still together titled Baphomet's Path, which is a semi-fictional account of the life of the wizard Baphomet. The book is merely a copy of the original, but it could garner some coin. IN addition, Zocor deftly plucks one of the books from the shelf (whereupon its partially rotten pages all but disolve), and he pulls free a single sheaf of paper.

"I believe this arcane scroll could perhaps be of use some day." And he hands it over to Kurchek.

Gondlir and Neesh, having spent much time contemplating their navels, look up to notice the corpses of numerous humanoids laying around them. They decide that they should decide whether or not the turtle men will have much use for the pouches cinched at their belts.

Upon going upstairs, the reek of sulfurous bat droppings asails their noses once more (for the first time), and their rock light casts shadows across the floor, slippery in the mess of flying bats. As the dwarves search around, Boddan serves mostly to keep an eye on the ceiling and floors. He frequently guides Kurchek around certain weakspots on the floor, which would almost certainly cave in were he to step on them. No sounds come from above. They find the chests at the foot of each bed upstairs and another shelf of books in each of the studies.

Reaching to the small holding cubbies on each of the desks, Kurchek does find one sticky mess, and one small sack of coin stuffed in a back corner. Upon opening it and peeking inside, it seems to be someone's meagre savings of twenty silver pieces. Most of the chests are of rotted wood, and those that they players can easily get into reveal mostly colored robes (of the colors already previously seen). One of the rotted chests has a stocking with a hard object inside of it, which Kurchek finds to be a single gold piece. The other chests hold a varied mix of coinage hidden in all manner of inventive ways totalling to 46 silver pieces.

The two locked chests will have to be picked or busted.

Back downstairs, Gondlir and Neesh see Zocor's brow furrow, and he begins to stare intently at the body of the Shieldbearer laying closest to him. "Well, wonder of wonders, it seems as though our friend came well-equipped. I'm glad Neesh was able to incapacitate him so quickly. That thing is carrying an enchanted shield!"

Spoiler
    Show
    On skill checks: My house rule for skill checks will take a hint from the Arcana skill. I reserve the right to say that a person cannot make another skill check on a subject until an extended rest or sometimes a level.

The former will mostly be used for things like detecting magic or picking locks. This means that, where you can, you guys will want to aid each other in your various uses of skills.

Since danger is something like the father of ingenuity though, this rule will not apply during combat. (For example, Neesh will be able to try to pick the same lock as many times as she wants during a combat, because getting through that door could save the party and this notion would stimulate her abilities. Now, of course, don't abuse this by just making all your skill checks during combat, ignoring the enemies so you get multiple tries.)

Essentially I am trying to keep a cinematic feel to the game, while covering for DnD's common problem of just being able to make the same check over and over again until you succeed (meaning checks with no penalties for failure will always succeed so long as they are within the character's capabilities). Note, this is the same for enemies. So, if you guys Arcane Lock something, and a thief fails to pick the lock, then he must wait until another day when he can come at it at a fresh angle.

Anyway, most of the time, this rule will not apply if there is already a penalty to failure. For example, if you fail a climb check, you fall, so there is no need to penalize you further.

Finally, this rule is open for discussion. Do you guys feel that requiring a short rest, instead of an extended rest, would be a better solution? Either way, this will rarely prevent you from going somewhere or doing something. If a rogue can't pick a lock, then the party is free to kick down the door, go through the window, or do anything else they can think of (within reason).

22. - Top - End - #202
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Kurchek will get to work busting open the chests!

Strength Checks? (1d20+3)[8]
    (1d20+3)[23]
    (1d20+3)[6]
    (1d20+3)[12]