P16

Hettar
    Spoiler
    Show
    W38

Arena here

Same rules as always
    Homebrew
    Current Project (A sequel to Tome of Battle)
    Past Projects, some of which I may come back to
    Spoiler
    Show
    Baldric Sea Campaign Setting (work in progress)
    later version of the Sea Dog base class from it

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Re: Gestalt Arena Match 19

Hettar

Hettar prepares to attack the Foe whom he has faced before. Since he is even better than before, he shouts, "you can't win this time either, Abby!" He then vanishes.

Spoiler
    Show
    activates vanisher cloak, invisible for 4 rounds

Init: (take best of both) (1d20+19)[30] (1d20+19)[29]

{OOC: can I delay a belt of Battle action until later? if so, I activate my belt to get a full round action, and delay it until I see Abby}

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Abby

"I have learned, and improved myself. Have you?"

Init - (1d20+4)[20]

Abby's looks have changed; no longer can you see her face as it hides behind a serpentine mask, her clothes and accessories remain mostly the same, but now include a few extra things, namely another ring, a small sphere which she releases into the air and dozens of small weapons adorn her outfit, small metal pieces with sharp ends.

Spoiler
    Show

Okay, Do you still have the bat? Anything else that I should know that Abby can see? Spot - (1d20+8)[13] DC 12 to see Hettar at this distance.
    Also Free action to release Ioun Stone
    Swift action to activate Dragon Mask -- see invisible for 5 minutes.

Belt of Battle (from MIC)
    Spending 1 or more charges grants you an extra action, which must be taken immediately (before you take any other action).

So, no.

And Set Hettar as Dodge bonus guy. (I finally remembered!)
    Last edited by oliana0; 2008-09-17 at 08:02 PM.
    I'm not dead. I am also not a walrus.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

{ooc still has bat, and plans to mount it.) Hettar, as expected, wins initiative, and mounts his bat (free action). He moves to Q29 to see what he can, for if he can see his opponent, he will destroy her. seeing his opponent, he strikes after moving to P22 and dismounting. Activates
    Boots of Speed (free action), and Belt of Battle (Swift)

2 Full attacks and manyshot {ooc does my boots of speed function twice if I use my belt? just curious.}

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+30)[38] damage: (1d8+15)[21]+(10d8)[43]
    (1d20+30)[35] damage: (1d8+15)[19]+(10d8)[52]
    (1d20+30)[39] damage: (1d8+15)[22]+(10d8)[43]
    (1d20+30)[49] damage: (1d8+15)[17]+(10d8)[48]
    (1d20+25)[26] damage: (1d8+15)[20]+(10d8)[49]
    (1d20+25)[44] damage: (1d8+15)[18]+(10d8)[51]
    (1d20+20)[32] damage: (1d8+15)[22]+(10d8)[45]
    (1d20+20)[26] damage: (1d8+15)[20]+(10d8)[40]
    (1d20+26)[33] damage: (1d8+15)[22]+(10d8)[36]
    (1d20+26)[30] damage: (1d8+15)[21]+(10d8)[43]
    (1d20+24)[33] damage: (1d8+15)[21]+(10d8)[43]

5. - Top - End - #5

{OOC: I've done some more reading on Skirmish (having designed my first scout for a different game) and am under the impression that when the books says "any round in which she moves at least 10 feet" it refers to the scouts actual movement, and not your mount's movement.

Which is not a big deal, if you dismount and move 10 feet (or 20).}

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by oliana0 View Post
    {OOC: I've done some more reading on Skirmish (having designed my first scout for a different game) and am under the impression that when the books says "any round in which she moves at least 10 feet" it refers to the scouts actual movement, and not your mount's movement.

Which is not a big deal, if you dismount and move 10 feet (or 20).}
    It specifically says in the Errata that it doesn't work while mounted, but nothing else. but if you still disagree, my mount moves me 20 ft ABOVE Q29, and I use both Jump and Tumble to make it 0 falling damage, then I shoot you. Abby's Dead (Again). (automatic sucess on checks, high enough modifier even if I roll a 1) also, if you somehow survive, I mount my bat again and move back to Q30 and use mount as cover, dismounting.
    Last edited by Charlie Kemek; 2008-09-17 at 08:48 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7

Did you take into account that Abby's Mask provided her with see invisible? I have: 24 +2 (bow bonuses) + 1 (precise shot) +1 haste -6 (manyshot) = 22 What were the extra additions that got it to 30?

Even with 30 attack bonus, Abby has an AC of 39 vs. Hettar, and the deflect arrows feat. She deflects the first arrow that would have hit her and, then only two shots actually hit her. Abby may be hurt, but she's not dead.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Did you take into account that Abby's Mask provided her with see invisible? I have: 24 +2 (bow bonuses) + 1 (precise shot) +1 haste -6 (manyshot) = 22 What were the extra additions that got it to 30?

Even with 30 attack bonus, Abby has an AC of 39 vs. Hettar, and the deflect arrows feat. She deflects the first arrow that would have hit her and, then only two shots actually hit her. Abby may be hurt, but she's not dead.
    actually, I forgot the +1 to attack rolls while Hasted, and forget the 3 attacks from manyshot, I forgot that Haste doesn't get me an extra action, it gets me an extra attack every full attack. here they come:

(1d20+31)[50] damage: (1d8+15)[16]+(10d8)[37]
    (1d20+31)[49] damage: (1d8+15)[16]+(10d8)[53]

9. - Top - End - #9

But where did 30 come from?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

But where did 30 come from?
    point blank shot.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

also: I forgot the favored enemy bonus: so an extra...4 per attack that hit.

12. - Top - End - #12

*does math* *does not get the same numbers as you*

BAB 15
    DEX 9 (mithril breastplate has a max DEX bonus of 5, by my math, not 9)
    Point Blank Shot 1
    Haste 1
    Weapon 2
    ----------
    +28

Manshot -6

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

*does math* *does not get the same numbers as you*

BAB 15
    DEX 9 (mithril breastplate has a max DEX bonus of 5, by my math, not 9)
    Point Blank Shot 1
    Haste 1
    Weapon 2
    ----------
    +28

Manshot -6
    can't use manyshot, Haste only allows me 1 extra attack at my highest full attack bonus. and hettar has a +5 weapon, btw

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Kemek View Post
    can't use manyshot, Haste only allows me 1 extra attack at my highest full attack bonus. and hettar has a +5 weapon, btw
    I somehow didn't notice this, but you list your weapon as +5 in the weapon description but as a "+2 composite flaming frost shock seeking longbow" that costs 72,000 gp when you talk about buying it. Did you tweak between bouts and not update the sheet everywhere? Or did I just brain fart when I looked at your sheet before?
    Last edited by playswithfire; 2008-09-18 at 08:36 AM.
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by playswithfire View Post
    I somehow didn't notice this, but you list your weapon as +5 in the weapon description but as a "+2 composite flaming frost shock seeking longbow" that costs 72,000 gp when you talk about buying it. Did you tweak between bouts and not update the sheet everywhere? Or did I just brain fart when I looked at your sheet before?
    no, I forgot to save it one last time. sorry.

and even if It was a +2 weapon, I got an extra 3d6 damage per attack, and the crystal lowered her AC for one round.

16. - Top - End - #16

Can we get a ruling on Skirmish movement? If Hettar is required to use his actual movement to get the bonus? If so, even jumping from a height is considered a move action, or must be part of a move action. (Jump skill From SRD: A Jump check is included in your movement, so it is part of a move action.)

Also, Fast Mounting from SRD states:
    You can attempt to mount or dismount from a mount of up to one size category larger than yourself as a free action, provided that you still have a move action available that round.

Also, since Skirmish doesn't apply while mounted, I guess the bonus to AC went away if he mounts the bat at the end?
    Last edited by oliana0; 2008-09-18 at 03:46 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Can we get a ruling on Skirmish movement? If Hettar is required to use his actual movement to get the bonus? If so, even jumping from a height is considered a move action, or must be part of a move action. (Jump skill From SRD: A Jump check is included in your movement, so it is part of a move action.)

Also, Fast Mounting from SRD states:
    You can attempt to mount or dismount from a mount of up to one size category larger than yourself as a free action, provided that you still have a move action available that round.

Also, since Skirmish doesn't apply while mounted, I guess the bonus to AC went away if he mounts the bat at the end?
    Quote Originally Posted by srd
    Jumping Down
    If you intentionally jump from a height, you take less damage than you would if you just fell. The DC to jump down from a height is 15. You do not have to get a running start to jump down, so the DC is not doubled if you do not get a running start.
    Yes, I dismounted at the end, but then I can't, sorry. if something is wrong, I take (1d6)[4] falling damage then.

18. - Top - End - #18

He dismounts as a free action, finds himself 20 feet in the air and falls 20 feet; he can use tumble to reduce the damage, but not jump. Since the unmounting would be a move action if not for the high ride check, the fall will be considered part of the free action of fast dismounting. Since he hasn't done anything before he dismounts, he does still have the ability to take a move action, so that part's ok. He cannot remount as a free action.

Also, the bat's 20 feet above you, but maybe it's got enough move to make it work (I don't know what it's maneuverability is; I really needed to think through the animal companion rules vis a vis initiative and breaking up their actions with your actions more before starting this, but I didn't think it'd come up. Yours is the only one.) not relevant at the moment

Anyway, as for the skirmish, while I'm 100% convinced that what they want is for the scout to move under his own power, by RAW, the fast mounting/fast unmounting trick works, so I'm assuming the bat would not be 20 feet in the air.

So, to summarize, he mounts bat as free action, bat moves, he dismounts as free action, swift action for belt of battle. Two full attacks. Can NOT get back on the mount as a free action because he doesn't have a move action left. The bat moved from W38 to P22, which is, at minimum 20 squares, which is more than it can move without using the full round action to run. So, the bat is at P22 at ground level*, he's dismounted and can't get back on. Skirmish bonuses apply.

Abby is apparently still alive and gets to attack you and/or your bat. Please specify what squares your bat is occupying and into which square you dismounted.

*Your initial plan was to have the bat at ground level, before the possible skirmish issue came up, so I'll hold you to that.
    Last edited by playswithfire; 2008-09-19 at 12:36 AM.
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

so abby's dead?

20. - Top - End - #20

Abby is apparently still alive and gets to attack you and/or your bat. Please specify what squares your bat is occupying and into which square you dismounted.
    No, abby is alive, unless something changed that I didn't see.
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21

Abby

Abby knocks down one arrow and flinches as the other two hit and hurt more than she'd expect. A little, dark laugh rises out of Abby and she moves to intercept Hettar and reaches out to grab him.

Spoiler
    Show

Not matter where Hettar is, she's got 90' of move to burn. 30' in rough terrian + 5' of tumble to avoid AoO all double = 70' Or 80' if she tumbles in rough terrain. Abby's 22 in tumble will allow her to pass the DC 15 + rough terrian of either +2 or +5. No AoO from Hettar or the Bat.

Initiate Grapple
    GrappleTouch - (1d20+25)[27] vs. DC 29
    AbbyGrappleCheck - (1d20+6)[15]
    HettarGrappleCheck - (1d20+1)[16]
    Well, it was worth a shot.
    Last edited by oliana0; 2008-09-19 at 09:29 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

No, abby is alive, unless something changed that I didn't see.
    I got 5 attacks that hit her even with the +2 weapon, and the damage adds up to 321. even with the snatch arrows feat, you can only grab one arrow, which means I still kill you. (I had boots of speed, which I thought would get me an extra standard action, but it just gave me 2 more attacks, listed the after the main damage post.

23. - Top - End - #23

Charlie; finish updating your sheet, particularly the costs section. Your bow, at least is incorrect and I can no longer verify that your expenses are legitimately under WBL. oliana0 is also right about the max dex bonus of your armor.

you're getting the win, but fix these things before your next bout.

And, please attempt to remember what your character can do when you attack. I've now seen you not accurately describe your full attack actions in two of your fights.
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

And, please attempt to remember what your character can do when you attack. I've now seen you not accurately describe your full attack actions in two of your fights.
    Sorry, i am a total newb, and keep on forgetting stuff. I will try to do better.