New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast

Thread: Total War 2125

1. - Top - End - #361
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Total War 2125

Also

Public response to SGA

We will, of course, attend such a conference. In fact, we'll go one better. Name your representative of choice. PM Cornerstone, PM Horrenson, General Amleth... anyone in the UNE, and they will be at your table.
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

In Auromar, Histantos Illist, Aasimar Warlock.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Bugbear in the Playground

To the SGA

The NRE would more than welcome opening up peace talks through SGA mediation but we are reluctant to deploy any high level representatives outside of the nation. It is clear that the other nations of the world do not have any respect for amnesty or diplomatic immunity as what is now seen with the illegal imprisonment of our Holy Emperor, Saint Umberto.

If Umberto's release from custody can be obtained and his passage to a neutral country of our choice. We will then feel it safe to send a representative overseas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayn
    You know, I'm beginning to realize that when I chose to go from being a player to being the GM, I essentially went from being a mere leader of some nation to being God. And it feels good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jade_Tarem View Post
    It's been said that a good backstory is like a skirt - it should be long enough to cover everything that needs to be covered, but short enough that it can keep someone's interest. This... is basically the train of a wedding dress.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Ogre in the Playground

NAC

Spoiler
    Show
    President Han

We have received more communications from the Imperials about your proposed plans to dominate europe, about your proposed peace settlment being essentially an annexion of Italy, ect ect.

However, it occurs to us that we have not yet seen a copy of any proposed peace terms. Given certain whispers, and the continuing presence of NAC troops in Italy and Croatia this might be a situation that needs addressing.

Cornerstone

Spoiler
    Show
    And can you reply to the Red Lioness issue OOC, we really need to get that one done with)
    Last edited by Moral Wiz; 2008-09-30 at 11:48 AM.
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

4. - Top - End - #364
    Orc in the Playground

UNE
    The SGA has dealt a great deal with Prime Minister Cornerstone. Jacob Vaughn has expressed a desire to be a mediator in the European discussions and would be happy to meet the PM in person

Spoiler
    Show

Our efforts to help the people of the world have been hindered substantially by our lack of technology. The espionage of conflicting (and even non-conflicting) countries has undermined what we seek to achieve a great deal. Technologies that could aid in countering such practices would be greatly appreciated.

NRE
    The matter of Umberto's current imprisonment and eventual handover to the NAC is potentially one of the matters of discussion. This conference will not be conditional as the SGA cannot meet demands such as yours. Make your requests to the appropriate governments or at the conference.
    A high level delegate is not a requirement. They simply need to have sufficient station to discuss matters on behalf of the NRE. Rest assured, steps will be taken to protect all diplomats sent to High Deli. If you are still hesitant, perhaps a video feed could be arranged for your convenience.
    Last edited by Thistle; 2008-09-30 at 11:57 AM.
    Check out Avatar

Some of my creations Forgotten Golem, Lady of the Fallen

Great avatar done by Thecrimsonmage

5. - Top - End - #365
    Ogre in the Playground

Public statement to SGA

The PM will most definetly attend in person. He looks forward greatly to meeting Mr. Vaughn, and to visiting the Sovereign Government of Aid for the first time..

Secret@Aid
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hmm....

Very well. I propose a trade. Your espionage devision helps share their style techniques and training with the USIC. In return, we supply you with the tech you need. Hell, if you check with us, we'll give you operational support. The UNE is a moral power, and shall remain so. In concequence, we have no problems in helping the SGA help the peoples of the world. Fair?

PEC

Dr. Faulkner beamed at Welsh's speech

I'd agree with Miss Welsh, gentlemen. Really. On all points, bar the last, and that on purely practical reasons. Can we really say it is government's right to spy upon their own people? We'd be giving every government in the world permission to do so if this conference advocated such a move. A point, I admit, which escaped me before.

In view of this, I can no longer support the proposal of a world wide data base of Psionics. Besides, there are numerous other limitations. Do we list latents, or not? Who has access privileges? How is testing to be carried out? Who, indeed, is to be left in charge?

The only thing I'd disagree on is the idea of a wider conference. And that for a reason. Whilst Psionics is a gift, we must not permit it to spread to the winds. It could do irrevocable harm in the wrong hands. On that we all agree.

Such a council on counter Psionic measures, I can see, but a Psionics council... no, I wouldn't think that's workable.

Gentlemen, next business....

Spoiler
    Show
    PEC results

General.

UNE ++ (Host's set the agenda, and look more favorable In consequence)
    SGA +
    Pandora +
    LUSA -

Looking like it comes out pretty strongly in favor of Psions. The database question is up in the air, but essentially the conference acts as a counter to the hate spread by some religious groups, with rational academics from several nations debating the issues (And even Father Albino was pretty moderate, apart from the database.)

That work?
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

6. - Top - End - #366
    Ogre in the Playground

(All of the OOC conversation on this I am saying "counted as" the Officials talking to Horrenson.

The Lioness read the communique from high command and she slammed her hand onto the desk.

Private Sanders popped his head into her office, in the previous NRE command bunker "General?"

Kim looked up quickly and sighed "Nothing Private, its just some UNE politician is blaming me for all that brain washing in Rome."

The Privates face twists in confusion "But Sir, you weren't even ne-"

Kim cut him off shacking her head "The politicians back home have tried to drive sense int this mans skull, and failing that at least get him off their back."

Sanders looked into her olive eyes with his onyx ones "Sir, did you do it?"

Kim looked back steadily "No"

He nodded, content with that simple answer. He trusted in his general, the Hero of Italy and California. He quickly left with a plan forming in his mind.

To PM Horrenson
    Spoiler
    Show
    I thank you that you have ceased making this a public matter to be debated openly. My name is General Kim Finate, and the NAC high command has seen fit to assigned me to tell you the facts.

First I would like to apologize for any rudeness on my superiors part, I have always been more polite then they, and recently things have been relatively tasking.

Conducting a significant Witch Hunt in our government took weeks, but eventually the pieces fell together. According to reports given to me, I was following the case since it had global significance, Mr. Donner and four others planned to use Rome and Zurich as testing grounds for a new weapon, for use as a coup against the properly elected democracy.

He used many different people from many departments, abusing his power of position by giving them all piecing of the job. In the end more than thirty people ended up doing their work and research. Donner and his team simply compiled the data and combined it all into the final result. The plan was brilliant in its simplicity.

Then the towers went down in Zurich before he was ready, and they could handle it, causing the attack and suicide. He and his accomplices are being very closely watched and punished.

I personally take umbrage in the thought that I could have anything to do with it. I have fought the NRE with honor for this entire war, and I do not plan on changing that. The thought that I would use mind control is disgusting.

you are proably right, the Senate was probably under the effects of mind control. It doesn't matter either way. Even if they didn't surrender we would of still had complete control over the country, since our attack went nearly flawless. I have always outmanuerverd the NRE Generals in the end, and it was just the coup de grace.

If the Sentate wishes to withdraw their surrender that is fine with us, but it doesn't matter. I have been ordered to hold Italy until its fate is decided in the SGA conference.

If you need any more convincing, or if I missed any points, feel free to meet with me, since I currently cannot leave my friend on the front. If you want to arrange a Discussion with me then we shall have it in my command bunker, centrel Alps.

Respectfully,
    Kim Finate,
    Supreme General of the Italian Taskforce

To the UNE and Solaris National News:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Private Sanders managed to get to every man in his battalion and they all wrote letters home to their families. In outcry against the attack on their loved lioness people from all over the NAC have written to the PM of the UNE and Horreson. There are letters from the everyman citizan, to other Generals, to NAC officials.

Some important letters:
    General Rendaii:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Greetings to the Reader of this letter,

I am General Rendaii of the NRE High Command, currently in the Red Lioness's care. Let me be frank, I practically hate the NAC barbarians defiling my homeland and attacking my people through brainwash, but I know that the Lioness is not to blame.

Ever since she has captured me, I have realized that she may be the most honest person I have ever met. When she spoke to me, it was always polite and honarable, and when she questioned me torture was never involved and she didn't trick me.

She is honarable, perfectly polite, and a brillient tactician. The only reason I right this letter is for personal honor. When the private came and told me of these lies I almost laughed at him, but I realized that I could not live with that fact.

She is like a General of old, and I will not see her honer besmudged. If only she had been born in Italy...

General Rendaii

(PS If you think I am brain washed there is nothing I can do to dissuade you, but I assure you that I am not)

Peter Bysoski
    Spoiler
    Show
    My name is Peter Bysoski, and I am the current commander of the Swiss army. I fought side-by-side with the Red Lioness through the worst of times. She lived up her name and protected my country.

I have seen her risk her life time and again for NAC and Swiss troops a like. Even with this appalling event in Zurich, I cannot believe ill of her. She has done to much and fought to hard for my people to ever think of betraying us.

General Finate is the bravest person I know, and to this day I keep negative comments about the NAC to a whisper in her honer.

General Peter Bysoski

Letter from President Han:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Horrenson,
    I truly apprciate your attempts to get to the bottom of this. We have given you proof of our good intentions. In fact, tomorrow we will be officially tearing down the towers in Italy, since we have hospitilized all those still suffering from the brain washing.

I must agree with my government and nation, I doubt if there is a person least likely to be at the head of a plot to use mind control. If there is anything more you need cleared up, just send me another personal letter.

President Shona Han

Italian Mind control towers:

With a great celebration NAC troops tear down the symbols of oppression in Rome and in Zurich today. Almost 98.7% of the populations are free of the mind control. Those who are not are hospitilized and being taken care of NAC doctors and nurses.
    She's Shona Han. Disappearing for a hundred years just means she's had a hundred years to plan. Trying to find out what happened to her is just going to draw her attention.

Then it's a good thing Greystone can KICK REASON TO THE CURB AND GO BEYOND THE IMPOSSIBLE!
    - SurlySeraph

7. - Top - End - #367
    Ogre in the Playground

Public responce

Horenson reads each letter in turn. Carefully. Maticulously. He has his secretaries sort them into classes, and sub classes, Soldier, Solder's relatives, Roman, ect.

Well, I was hoping to keep the issue alive. I see that I have very much done so. There have been endless responces, both from those who adore the Liones...

And from those who seem to wish to burn her in effigy. Or reality. The handwriting on this one is unclear.

He smiles, very slightly.

No judgments on my part, I assure you. At least, not yet. I will personally read all your letters. You took the time to write them, it is the least I can do. The issue will be considered, and will remain alive

Spoiler
    Show
    You're manipulating a lot of foreign citizens. No mind control now, this justified, when the UNE has a higher world opinion? Euro opinion, I'd see as about equal, if not in our favor slightly, as the atrocities in question happened on our soil (Well nearere our soil)

Anyway, response later. He'll send two. One to the Lioness, one to President Han.

Screwing with Horrenson is not a good idea. This just made it worse.

And be honest, are you really prepared to loose the Lioness? Or is this desperation?

And Cornerstone isn't the first minister of the UNE. He's an important guy, as the one who founded it, but he's not got really much more legal authority than Horrenson.
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

8. - Top - End - #368
    Ogre in the Playground

Personal response to President Han

Spoiler
    Show
    Madame President. You will, I'm sure, forgive me this whole, sorry affair. I only made my views public to underline a particular matter for you.

Europe. Europe is, in the large amount, outraged at the NAC.

We've had more than equal letters, demanding that the UNE declares war on you for officially sanctioned brainwashing of a sovereign country. I'm pleased to say the Executive voted that one down, laughing, but you get my point.

You have, after all, brainwashed a neutral country. And only caught the culperates later Yes, you strung up Donner as crow fodder, but... well, only after the fact. And that smacks of appeasement, especially given your new charm offensive in Italy. Imperial diplomats are none too short of ammunition right now. And I don't like that.

Quite a few people are none too happy about this, Madame President. We did see the Solarians and their shooting. And the Imperials now have supporters accross Europe. Umberto's SSN apperance helped them somewhat. Even with rebuilding, you are not able to appease the majority.

Yet there is a way.

You need a second criminal. Donner really couldn't have done it alone. Too many potential problems on the ground. You can not seriously ask me to believe that in all this time, no one in the NAC devisions sent to Italy noticed something. And yet, no action was taken. The NAC were there for months before this whole thing, and yet no investigation was made until now, in spite of the effects being bloody obvious to anyone on the ground

Oh, what a coincidence, you are the people on the ground.

Forgive me, President. I do but put the people's case. But you can see how bad it has been made to look here. The Imperails haven't helped. We need to make sure the NAC are not hated across Europe, so the soon to be cast down Imperials haven't got a support base in place to go Gerrulia.

You seem to me to have two options. One, do nothing, and let it all fester. Imperial support and anti NAC feeling builds to a fever pitch, you get hated as imperialists world wide, ect, ect. If it wasn't for NYC and DC you'd be seeing protests right now, believe me. It'd only take a little spark to set them off...

Or sacrifice a pawn. Have the Red Lioness dismissed. For compliance or negligence in not spotting the signs, it's the same thing, and carries the same responsibility and punishment. She was commander of the Italian front, and a very visible symbol of the NAC. Her dismissal coming after Donner's seems legitimate, inquiries only just finding out. And someone other than Donner getting sent down for this is needed as a signal to ensure NAC has local and European wide support in the occupation of Italy, no?

If I have misassessed the situation, Madame President, feel free to inform me. My door is always open, and I truly believe this is a matter of concern. For both of us

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Greystone, I've gotta go to bed. I typed this tiered, and thus may have got things wrong. If I did, respond OOC please.
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

9. - Top - End - #369

To the SGA

We will send a representative to the meeting. Hopefully the meeting will prove fruitful and no harm will come to our delegation.

OOC: More coming later tonight.
    You know, I'm beginning to realize that when I chose to go from being a player to being the GM, I essentially went from being a mere leader of some nation to being God. And it feels good.
    It's been said that a good backstory is like a skirt - it should be long enough to cover everything that needs to be covered, but short enough that it can keep someone's interest. This... is basically the train of a wedding dress.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Ogre in the Playground

Shona Han herself will of course attend the conference hosted by the SGA, she has many matters to dicuss.

Vice-President Lee continues to give press conferences and rallies around Europe to try to reinforce NAC goodwill.

Immediate Response to Horrenson, his eyes only.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Prime Minister Horrenson,
    '
    'I'll tell you what I told Cornerstone. First of all, I did not "officially sanction" the mind control, and I didn't find out until it was to late. I was already quietly attempting to reverse the effects when the damned NRE blew up the ones in Switzerland. I am making Donner's life a living hell for that one.

Second, you ask me to sacrafice the Lioness. This is unacceptable. Have you ever even played chess before?

I am the King, the figurehead and leadership for my country. General Finate is not a pawn, she is the Queen! She gives people hope.

I wish to remind you of a time. Your country signed the World Defense Pact, meaning that you will help in the defense of other nations. Then this dispute with Italy began. The NAC, led by General Finate, sped in and helped defend Switzerlands right to be a Sovereign power.

What did the UNE do? Muster troops in France. As we were fighting and dieing, as the Lioness led her troops to save the day again and again, UNE troops sat stagnent.

Sir, if we did not stop the NRE from that point, if we would of ignored Switzerland's call, like you practically did, then you may all be flying the NRE colors, instead you profited from our losses and became powerful.

You owe the Lioness more than anyone else. If you really think we need more criminals lets do two things. I'm sure that I could find evidence on the commander in Rome and Zurich, conspirators if you will.

You sacrifice a USIC agent and say that he helped the NAC traitors go undetected. That way we are blameless.

They will love you for finding the traitor in your ranks and the faith in the NAC will be improved if not restored.

Hopefully,
    President Han
    Last edited by Greystone; 2008-09-30 at 05:45 PM.
    She's Shona Han. Disappearing for a hundred years just means she's had a hundred years to plan. Trying to find out what happened to her is just going to draw her attention.

Then it's a good thing Greystone can KICK REASON TO THE CURB AND GO BEYOND THE IMPOSSIBLE!
    - SurlySeraph

11. - Top - End - #371

Umberto (NOW OPEN TO OTHERS, INCLUDING SOLARIS)

Karl the famous "memoir-writer" continues to scribble down the incarcerated Emperor's words. He writes feverishly, even so hard that his Solarian-given pencil breaks. He stands up and walks to the door.

"My pencil broke. Mind getting someone to give me a new one?"

He attempts to communicate his need for a pencil.
    Rational Goblin Avatar by C-Lam. Thanks!

Ixtlan, World of Exploration, my campaign setting. Currently on hiatus.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Ogre in the Playground

With a glance to the president, a Supreme Guard stands before anyone can tell him yea or nea, grabs a pencil from a cup and walks to the door.

The Ivory armored behemoth opens it and hands the man a pencil, before shutting it immediately in his face. The Guard spins on his heel and returns to the observation room.

- SurlySeraph

13. - Top - End - #373
    Orc in the Playground

UNE
    Spoiler
    Show
    The SGA has no official espionage program. Information we gather is generally from aid workers observation and relies greatly on the SGA keeping the good will of other powers. However, if the UNE would be willing to lend a relief group, the SGA would be willing to train them in exchange for technology concerning covert operations and operational support.

PEC

"We would be willing to concede full psionic disclosure to just those discoveries related to defense. It would likely encourage the defensive field to grow at a faster rate than those that could be used for more dire purposes. However, while the SGA is willing to lower the intensity of the purposed council of peer," Welsh pauses before she resumes speaking "I'd like to note for the record, I see the secrecy and effort to keep such powerful technology in the hands of a select few as setting a bad precedent and potentially as dangerous as full disclosure."
    Last edited by Thistle; 2008-09-30 at 07:36 PM.
    Check out Avatar

14. - Top - End - #374
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Solarian AAV's cover the door, and radio the incident it.

Re: SGA
    We would request that the Pope or a representative be seated to discuss the South African situation.
    We would also request that the SGA make it clear that their aid workers already in Africa need no exosuit goons to watch their backs.
    Confrence Reps will be Counter-Intelligence Operative Al Sun, for the South African confrence, and Air Comander Kail for the Italian.

Re: Letters. The letters are handed off to the NAC reps. They're obviously ment for Umberto. SSN just reports.

15. - Top - End - #375
    Ogre in the Playground

Transmission to Solaris Military
    Spoiler
    Show
    This is general Finate, your offer has been accepted. Planes flying over Croatia has been authorized. Those look like some expensive planes, so you will be protected by a NAC fighter group at all times to protect your invesment.

Thank you for the assist.

Red Lioness out.
    Last edited by Greystone; 2008-09-30 at 09:45 PM.

- SurlySeraph

16. - Top - End - #376
    Orc in the Playground

Start European conference
    Lillian Heckman, Overseer of European Aid Efforts, stands at the air field of High Deli. A professional looking woman, she wears a traditional and modest skirt, severe glasses and simple blouse, and carries a metallic briefcase. The winds from the low lands have begun to pick up and whips the slender Germanic woman’s hair out of its tight bun and into the air. She looks a little nervous though not because of the impending arrival of the delegates for the talks. Most of the reclamation efforts have been focused on the river valleys of the region. Therefore, high winds can still bring up radiation from the wastes below the Nepal mountains. And that could throw things off schedule.
    The sound of another SGA plane can be heard over the wind. The air port has been high traffic for the past several days. Most have been new reporters come to see what the result of the talks will be (tough the conference themselves will be closed to the media), but a couple have been decoys and smuggling transport for diplomats fearful of violence. The NRE representative had been in the country for three days now without public announcement.
    The three incoming planes land within minutes of each other and begin to unload their passengers. The overseer steps forward to welcome them.
    “Welcome to High Deli. Prime Minister Cornerstone, Madame President Han, Air Commander Kail, I am Overseer Heckman, responsible for Aid efforts on the European continent. I will be one of the mediators, along with Head of State Vaughn. I will also be responsible for any questions you might have during your stay. If you would follow me I will show you where you will be staying. Your security has been sent ahead to work with our own in making sure you are safe and well cared for during your stay. I have the personal assure of Mr. Vaughn that every precaution is being taken to see that these talks go smoothly.”
    With a quick turn, Lillian begins heading to a convoy of limousines. She doesn’t look back, clearly expecting them to follow.
    “Once you are settled, we have scheduled talks to begin tomorrow morning.”

To Solaris
    The conference, as stated, is open to those that wish to be included. Should the Vatican wish to send a delegate they are free to petition on their own behalf. The SGA can say that such a petition will be granted.
    Check out Avatar

17. - Top - End - #377
    Ogre in the Playground

(Could they start tomorrow night, idunno around six? I would like to be present for this and I have a field trip)

President Han smiles and offers her hand, just as the other woman turns and begins to walk away. She glances at the other to leaders with a raised eyebrow that seems to say "What can you do" and shakes their hands instead "Good to see you Prime Minister, and you commander"

Continental NAC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Work is still being done on clearing the tainted land, extensive work. New economy options, through trade with LUSA and NUN continue, bringing a new flair to the countries market. The economy seems to grow, as Americans (who are always up for oppurtunity) start trading with a flair. Several new decrees have opened up several new colleges ,universities, and schools. New curriculums are written to maximize learning potential and even funding to libaries are increased.

Gerald Goering, Head of Education, says that to bring the world into a better future, our children must know what they are talking about.
    Last edited by Greystone; 2008-09-30 at 10:18 PM.

- SurlySeraph

18. - Top - End - #378
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Greystone View Post
    (Could they start tomorrow night, idunno around six? I would like to be present for this and I have a field trip)
    ((OOC: Heh, I was refering to in-game time. But I suppose the delegates could suffer from acute jet lag. Overseer Heckman won't like having to rearrange her plans, though.))

Euro Conference
    Guiding the politicians to one of the vehicles she opens the door and shakes hands with them as they get in. Her handshake is strong and firm but oddly impersonal. It is more a matter of protocol than welcome.
    Last edited by Thistle; 2008-09-30 at 10:32 PM.
    Check out Avatar

19. - Top - End - #379
    Dwarf in the Playground

Psionics Ethics Conference

He has been relatively calm for the majority of the conference so far, however with the way things are turning out, Father Albino begins to completely lose his composure.

"Damn it...each and every one of you is insane! You all don't see the big picture. You don't think it's a fire because you can only smell the smoke. But I can see the fire. I can see a raging inferno, burning relentlessly through our world and our lands. Burning everything we hold dear. Sweeping through...smoldering...festering...destroying...and you're concerned with the rights of the few?! None of you are any better than those witches...They may claim this new technology to be man's work but I tell you now that it comes from the Dark One himself. And he laughs at you. Laughs at you ignorance. Laughs...at the blissful veneer you cover these 'psionics' with, making them seem human. It's an affront to God, and you will all pay, in this life or the next. They will not be grateful for your protection. They will strike against you, biting the hand that feeds. And then, when you're completely at their mercy, you had all better pray to God to help you...because I will not.

Good day to you all. Let the resolutions passed here be a death warrant for each of you. I will have no part of this mockery any longer.."

He hastily makes his way back to his transport and heads back to LUSA. Within hours, he is on his way to the Center.

General Robertson's Command Center, Location Unknown, a few hours later

The General sits, staring at a video monitor, where Vicente Ramirez and he are conferencing. Vicente is working on his intensive post-surgical therapy, remembering and copying complex patterns and formulas to make sure his brain still functions at its peak.

"--and he just stormed out of there? Like, in a big ol' huff?"

"Seems that way. I can't say I'm surprised, really, but I just wish he had stayed around until some actual voting had been passed. But I guess it can't be helped."

Robertson shifts uncomfortably in his chair, and pauses for a moment. He then shakily asks Ramirez something that's been on his mind since he met Albino.

"Boss..I gotta know...why do you keep a guy like that around? I mean, he's clearly a wackjob. Only thing goin' on in his brain is a cuckoo clock goin' 24/7."

"Albino is not crazy, Robertson. A little eccentric, but I thought you Southerners liked your leaders eccentric."

"But he isn't! He's downright nuts! He's been in an asylum for thirt--"

Ramirez gets up from his desk and sweeps the notebooks and papers in front of him on the floor.

"Robertson...drop it. I know all about his past. I'm well aware of his former occupations and living arrangements. But a man like Albino is special. He has a lot of potential for what he does."

"What, killin' people? Sir, with all do respect, I've killed more men that he ever-

"And you do it the best, General. But Albino is needed for other reasons. You just have to trust me on this one."

"I hate to say it, boss, but I'm havin' a lot of difficulty doin' that...and you know how I generally go along with what you got planned."

Ramirez shifts in his wheelchair, holding his forehead

"Then just do it as a favor...you owe me enough...And don't talk about this with anyone, understand? I don't need the whole world knowing I have...someone with his history on my staff. Now, I need to go. This headache is killing me."

"Alright boss...whatever you say...."

OOC: This is probably the most Christmasy conversation I've ever seen...
    Last edited by Pumpkin3.1415; 2008-10-01 at 12:16 AM.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Greystone View Post
    Shona Han herself will of course attend the conference hosted by the SGA, she has many matters to discuss.

Vice-President Lee continues to give press conferences and rallies around Europe to try to reinforce NAC goodwill.

Immediate Response to Horrenson, his eyes only.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Prime Minister Horrenson,
    '
    'I'll tell you what I told Cornerstone. First of all, I did not "officially sanction" the mind control, and I didn't find out until it was to late. I was already quietly attempting to reverse the effects when the damned NRE blew up the ones in Switzerland. I am making Donner's life a living hell for that one.

Second, you ask me to sacrafice the Lioness. This is unacceptable. Have you ever even played chess before?

I am the King, the figurehead and leadership for my country. General Finate is not a pawn, she is the Queen! She gives people hope.

I wish to remind you of a time. Your country signed the World Defense Pact, meaning that you will help in the defense of other nations. Then this dispute with Italy began. The NAC, led by General Finate, sped in and helped defend Switzerlands right to be a Sovereign power.

What did the UNE do? Muster troops in France. As we were fighting and dieing, as the Lioness led her troops to save the day again and again, UNE troops sat stagnent.

Sir, if we did not stop the NRE from that point, if we would of ignored Switzerland's call, like you practically did, then you may all be flying the NRE colors, instead you profited from our losses and became powerful.

You owe the Lioness more than anyone else. If you really think we need more criminals lets do two things. I'm sure that I could find evidence on the commander in Rome and Zurich, conspirators if you will.

You sacrifice a USIC agent and say that he helped the NAC traitors go undetected. That way we are blameless.

They will love you for finding the traitor in your ranks and the faith in the NAC will be improved if not restored.

Hopefully,
    President Han
    Greystone OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Point, the UNE would have sent troops, but for OOC matters (Vis, this whole damn war happening while I slept, and Odin not noticing that I'd put it down as a contingency.) So dwelling too long on this isn't going to be that fair.

Personal response to President Han

Spoiler
    Show
    The UNE had to muster troops to become on an equal footing with you and Umberto. They were ready to fight in Switzerland, but then news of the Russians came. Politicking turned them back, but for a time, we were about to hold your line against a foe superior to both us and you. Then we went into Poland, on your direct request, and would have finished the Swiss business but for that being the moment Umberto's little counter attack came. When you were ready to respond, our troops were there. They may not have had such glamorous views as yours, but they were there

Please, President, let us not discuss our military committal's further. We have both fought, died and lost. Let it be left at that.

And you haven't played chess that much yourself, have you, President Han?

This game is coming to an end. It is here, if anywhere, that a queen must be sacrificed. You don't do it happily, needlessly, or wastefully, but it can be what makes all the difference. Because the enemy won't take a pawn as a sacrifice.

Giving the mobs anyone less than a major commander would be seen as appeasement. Which, to be fare, it blatantly and actually is. It'd just fan the fires itself. And unfortunately, given the demonstration I had to pull.... well, the Lioness is now the target of choice for those we must appease.

I realize she is a symbol of hope, to some degree. Yet, thanks to Donner, that is starting to sour somewhat. She is a symbol of hope, yes. But also one of the NAC. A very visible symbol of the power that brainwashed these people.

And be fair, be honest with yourself. You'd never willingly sacrifice the Lioness. You know it. And, more importantly, others know it. She's so valuable as a symbol of the best of the NAC, idealism, freedom, hope... She is about the only person who's dismissal can't be put down to appeasement of the mob on your part.The effects could be bad back in the NAC, but it would be easy to spin it into a more positive light "Even the best can fall, justice escapes no one"....

I respect the Lioness, indeed, it tore my heart to read some of these letters from her other supporters. He own letter practically reduced me to tears. But facts are facts. And if the Lioness is not responsible... well, someone in the NAC is. There must have been some sort of reports of the oddness going on in both cities. It was rather noticeable. Sooner or later someone must have raised their concerns.Given the time, the number of men, and the fact that those in a warzone tend to paranoia... I'd expect a large number of reports. Reports that do not seem to have materialized.

Donner couldn't have done it, not alone. And whilst rooting out the Lioness will do no justice, it is now the best measure we have to appease the mob. Anything less will simply be dismissed as the NAC bowing to pressure, not as justice. I wouldn't have thought anyone lower in your hiearachy than the Lioness could be responsible for keeping the effects secret.

I appreciate the difficulty in this move for you, so I will agree in principle to the idea of us sacrificing an USIC agent as well. Further, if this is done, the tides of opinion will permit a more Pro NAC stance in Europe. If that happens, the UNE will speak out, in support both of the NAC generally, and the Lioness' legacy in particular, though that must be done with more care.

I await your next communication, President Han.

Horrenson

Dissatisfaction with the NAC growing

The statement by PM Horrenson seems to have sparked some notable dissent from Europe, and Switzerland in perticular. There are no open protests; the NAC do still have troops in Zurich, but there is quite a bit of quiet grumbling amongst the Swiss on this whole situation. (Perticularly when NAC are out of sight. There is quite a bit of murmuring at the vice president's little "Charm Offensive", no matter where he goes. The words "No smoke without fire" are heard

The same can not be said across the board. The situation in Rome is similar, though even more quiet, as NAC is the sole force in the country. There are outright protests in South Prussia, demanding that the NAC be full and frank and... arrest the Lioness. Whilst they're taken primarily as extreme, they do symbolize a growing body of opinion in Europe. It's lighter in the UNE proper, very few people express these views, but then fewer people come out outright in support of the Lioness.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    OOC, I'm not sending any USIC agents here. This is just the natural response I see, from what Horrenson said. Greystone's been rather liberal with neutral countries, so permit me the same if you please As Horrenson's a Magnificent Bastard, it fits his character to be able to predict events like this.

Effect wise, it should just do a little more than cancel out the Vice President's efforts, leaving the mood in Europe pretty negative. People become cynical after a "Power of good and light" has been shown to have been brainwashing them, and had to be caught before anything was done. Whirlst the Lioness reassures some, others look at her as indicative of the NAC. A power of good and light who came to rescue them... and who, in some part, ended up brainwashing them. The idea that she betrayed them fits all too well into some minds.

USIC agents are watching Europe in general though, for any signs of NAC Supreme Elite trying to influence people. Any evidence of such is to be recorded.
    Last edited by Moral Wiz; 2008-10-01 at 10:58 AM.
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

21. - Top - End - #381
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

6 don't work for me. Anyother day...

@UNE
    Spoiler
    Show
    It seems you're trying to push the NAC out too. Need help? Want to coordinate.

Re: Confrence.
    The resently promoted Comander Kail steps onto the tarmac and brushes past the formalities with badly hidden impatience. He quickly finds his seat at the table, and requests to be the first to speak.

22. - Top - End - #382
    Ogre in the Playground

The space Vatican will be sending Cardinal Johnathan Williams to the conference on Africa
    Spoiler
    Show

played the Space Pope in Total War 2125
    ..and the Papal States of Luna in Total War 2260

Playing
    The Gears Chosen in Total Way: Broken City

The Spindleshanks Crusade in Total War: 40K

Dragon Avatar by Serp

Darkness Fell, and with it Light

23. - Top - End - #383

SGA Conference

Captain Tomislav Buvina, a Croat serving in the Imperial army is the head of the delegation representing the New Roman Empire at the peace conference hosted by the SGA.

Organizing a march on Rome

Spreading the word through word of mouth and other clandestine means, Italians living under occupation are encouraged to drop what they are doing and converge on Rome in one months time to engage in a non-violent protest against NAC occupation and demand the restoration of the Italian state to the rightful government. It is hoped that tens or thousands, perhaps even hundreds of thousands will participate.

24. - Top - End - #384
    Orc in the Playground

Heckman looks a little perturbed by Commander Kail’s attempt to bypass procedure. Despite his overanxious behavior she continues with opening her brief case and produces several papers from within.
    “Before we begin there are several guidelines which are to be set down.”
    She picks takes out sheaf of paper and begins reading it.
    “The following is a list of procedure and etiquette expected to be followed by the delegates for the duration of the Conference
    Delegates will refrain from speaking until recognized by either mediator. All comments on, counter arguments to, counter proposals to, or negotiation of terms on any comments, arguments, proposals or negotiations by other delegates will be held until such time as the mediator recognize….

It is hear that she is interrupted.
    “I’m sure they can just use the summary, Lillian.”
    From a door that leads deeper into the building Jacob Vaughn enters. It is likely one of the first times the representatives have seen him for several years. Walking up beside Overseer Heckmen, he looks positively casual. He wears only a blue button down shirt and tan dress pants. Getting into his thirties, his hair is shaggy and disheveled. But what strikes you is his face. His dark blue eyes are weary but he manages a genuine (if a little sad) smile as he takes his seat.
    Heckman stands stiffly “May I introduce Head of State Vaughn, second mediator during the proceedings.”
    “Yes, thank you Lillian.
    ”I apologize for being late. Prime Minister Cornerstone, it’s nice to see and speak with you in person. Madame President Shona, I’m happy to see you as well. Sorry for not having kept more regular correspondence. Commander Kain and Captain Buvina, welcome. I look forward to getting to know you better.”
    Vaughn waits for any responses.
    Vaughn reaches over and grabs a copy of procedure from Heckman’s papers. The Overseer doesn’t look pleased at the informal turn of events. Or she could just be looking more serious than normal, a feat in itself. “Now let’s see.” Vaughn flips through the pages at the rate of a speed reader speaking in a slightly broken manner as he does as he does.
    “Please don’t interrupt others. Everyone will have a turn to speak. No killing other delegates. Don’t assaulting them with pens or other physical attacks. No psionic attack either. No mind reading. So on and so on.
    No spy or media equipment in the room besides microphones. Yada, yada. Try to be polite and so forth. And it suggests trying not to make military attack that would set back negotiations. And then a long list of possible subjects.”
    Vaughn looks up and smiles. “Use common sense seems to be missing from the official document but I suppose it can be assumed.”
    “I’ll bring any topics that I feel might need to be discussed to your attention. Now unless you have any questions….. No? Yes?
    “Commander Kail, you wished to speak?”

Heckman spoke up at this. “Mediators recognize Commander Kail of Solaris.”
    “Yes thank you Lillian.”
    Check out Avatar

25. - Top - End - #385
    Ogre in the Playground

@Solaris
    Spoiler
    Show
    No. Just a little demonstration to the NAC, that Europe could be made very difficult to them, if they don't co-operate with the UNE. We're an ally of the NAC, they fought with us in the war, just as you did

OOC Note, my espionage is at 4. Anyone reading need espionage 5 at least.

Wasn't sure if you were or not. Just saying
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

26. - Top - End - #386
    Orc in the Playground

Overhaul to Improve Aid
    The SGA will be recalling and redeploying a significant portion of its relief workers over the course of the next several months from almost everywhere in the world except Croatia. Those recalled will have several months of intensive training to familiarize themselves with the new technologies available to the SGA through its own research and that of other nations. It will also be during this time that the SGA will be making a review and overhaul of its current bureaucratic structure of its aid efforts. It is hoped that with this “renovation” the SGA will be better able to help the people of the world.

Secret (Moral Wiz may read)
    Spoiler
    Show

While there will be aid training and overhaul of bureaucracy to provide better aid, the true purpose is to recall agents and give them training in espionage, counter intelligence and anti-psi technology recently acquired from the UNE. Not only that, but to give non-covert worker deemed worthy access to espionage training.
    The overhaul will also be made to help ensure smooth operation and information gathering. Covert techniques learned by agents will be cataloged and included within the training. Possible double agents, psionic influence, or brainwashing will be looked into. During this time a lot of field agents will be recalled and so espionage rating will go down.
    The intensive training will continue after this. More new recruits will be given training and hopefully better training than before.
    The UNE “aid team” will be integrated in this training. However, they will likely not be aware of how much the bureaucratic overhaul is related to “spy stuff”, or how many of our relief workers are agents. The continuation of training of recruits will also not be made privy to them.
    Last edited by Thistle; 2008-10-01 at 11:24 AM.
    Check out Avatar

27. - Top - End - #387
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Thank you. The thin, aging military man begins in Swahili. I feel that we owe the NAC an explanation, but not an apology. He sighs, and glances at Han. We're a fractiously governed nation. The oldtimers set in their ways, the young hotheads, and those in the middle trying to be one or the other had control up until very recently. He flips his hand at an aid, who projected a map of Africa, crica 2090, a scant 35 years ago, just before the Solarian Alliance was formed, on the wall. I think a little history lesson is in order. These areas, most of Africa from Ethiopia, Sudan, the Central African Republic and Cameroon and the Arabian Penisula shades in red. Collapsed into darkness as the Sudanese war, the Islamic Cival War, and the Somalian/Ethiopian/Eritrean nightmare, all came to a climax. This, a small band of yellow forms across the Saharan, and slowly spreads. Is the Solaris Alliance restoring order and peace and prosperity to this dreadful situation. He pauses to let his translator catch up. As he does, he gestures again, and behind him the map zooms in on Africa. Now, the old timers and hotheads saw no difference between the corrupt government in Abuja, which had survived by wielding it's oil stores like a hammer above the west, and the chaos we had pacified everywhere else. This miscalculation cost them their power. The NAC steped in, and we retreated, defeated for the first time, and by a foriegn power. Soon the more... world consious faction rose up. Do not be fooled. Though they may be more realistic and aware of the outside, they all the fiercer in their determination to protect Africa from it. They looked at the UNE as a tool to maybe pressure the NAC and the rest of the world into backing off, and the NRE as dangerously expantionistic. We know where Rome's old borders lay, and though you may demonize us we've no desire to see any peoples opressed, or dead. After the assualt on Switzerland we struck, the map zooms over southern Europe, and statistlics scrwal across, of NRE boud shipping captured, to air strikes and dogfights. though objections were raised about helping the similarly imperialist and expansiontist NAC. He raises his hand to forestall cries of outrage. I'm quoting here. Everything was all fine up until the towers were built. As the evidence came out, the hotheads began to get their way. This is what happened, The map changes, first showing the damages and causualties inflicted by the Solarian attack, (dismally low, though the supplies destroyed coloum is pretty high.) then shifts to another proposed attack plan, with estimates listed next to it. This is what they wanted, and almost got. The NAC naval and air forces were decimated by suprise, and their ground forces trapped in hostile territory with out even hope of resupply, as one time allies with presice data on positions blast them into dust from above. Nigeria is overrun. The NAC's power to wage a defensive war would've been nearly destroyed, not to metion an offensive one. They lost out, eventually, as the 'moderates' latched onto the token attempts at diplomacy made by a guilty Chief American Liason Odwadi, and pushed through a peaceful resolution. He waves and the the map zooms out to encompass the whole world. As of right now the Solarian peacekeepers are in Italy along side the NAC forces. To be blunt, they are there to make sure that the NAC doesn't try to add this to their empire. We don't want Umberto back, but neither do we want a puppet he glances significantly at the SEATS holdings marked by the map, in his stead. The rule of Italy should be turned back over to the Italians, or at very least the Europeans, the UNE, and soon, so that our troops may come home. We'll have problems of our own very soon.
    Last edited by The_JJ; 2008-10-01 at 06:03 PM.

28. - Top - End - #388

Umberto Interview

Karl Blake looks like he is about to do something drastic when he is given the pencil, but instead relaxes.

He writes down the last of Umberto's words, and stands to leave.

"Thank you, Emperor. You seem to be a decent person. Don't prove me wrong."

Finishing up his interview, Karl goes through all the proper procedures, and leaves the prison, letting Umberto alone.
    Rational Goblin Avatar by C-Lam. Thanks!

Ixtlan, World of Exploration, my campaign setting. Currently on hiatus.

29. - Top - End - #389
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    With the NRE war almost over, in Solarian eyes anyway, efforts shift over to helping Africa.

Also, no economic boosts for... establishing tariff free trade w/ NUN states, getting prefered access to the panama canal, being granted exclusive access to trade with Luna, and jumping the gun on the shift to solar energy, etc.?

@Pandora
    Spoiler
    Show
    A bit retroactive, but what bit of technology do I get for granting an exclusive interview? Better be big. Will be big or I'll take it all away.

30. - Top - End - #390

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyFatGoblin View Post
    Umberto Interview

Karl Blake looks like he is about to do something drastic when he is given the pencil, but instead relaxes.

He writes down the last of Umberto's words, and stands to leave.

"Thank you, Emperor. You seem to be a decent person. Don't prove me wrong."

Finishing up his interview, Karl goes through all the proper procedures, and leaves the prison, letting Umberto alone.
    "Thank you, Mr. Blake. I hope, you will write favorably about me. Have a good day."