New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Flames of War: Diplomacy

*shakes head*

It's from the Honor Harrington novels by David Weber - at the end of the third book, Haven has a revolution, and a "Committee of Public Safety" takes over the country.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Druid_lord View Post
    I rise from the depths of hell once more to answer the call of...MESHAKHAD!!!!
    Founder/Rabbi of the Kazumi Kato and Daigo ???? Fanclub

Gordon Freeman avatar by Dr. Bath.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Meshakhad View Post
    *shakes head*

It's from the Honor Harrington novels by David Weber - at the end of the third book, Haven has a revolution, and a "Committee of Public Safety" takes over the country.
    *shakes head*

No, viggo had it - it was from the French Revolution. I'd say the odds that your author wasn't inspired by this relatively famous historical event are slim to none, so ultimately you were inspired by it by association.
    Ramm in Lords of the Elements
    Russia in The World is Dark

"I do not know what weapons we will use in World War Three, but in World War Four we will use sticks and stones."
    -Albert Einstein

3. - Top - End - #33
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Moody the Wise View Post
    *shakes head*

No, viggo had it - it was from the French Revolution. I'd say the odds that your author wasn't inspired by this relatively famous historical event are slim to none, so ultimately you were inspired by it by association.
    It was quite explicitly inspired by the French Revolution - but I got the Committee of Public Safety from Haven, not France.
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

he's right. that's where he got the idea, and that was his original question.
    Marshal Josip Broz Tito avatar by Electric_Monkey

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

The French representative paces nervously outside the telegraph room, awaiting reports of European military activities.
    Throk, Half-Orc Fighter
    Zebith, Drow Ranger/Darkstrider

6. - Top - End - #36

Quote Originally Posted by Shular View Post
    The French representative paces nervously outside the telegraph room, awaiting reports of European military activities.
    Well, we didn't get 7 replies for a Thursday due date. Also, I refuse to have an NMR first turn, so in good conscience, I've got to let it go till Sunday. If there's still no response, I'll give the alternate an extra 48 hours to make quick talks and get orders in.
    It says signature, but when I tried to sign my name, I just got pen on my computer screen.

Diplomacy:
    GM - The Lyapunov Affair
    Turkey - Fly Like a Butterfly
    French Austrians - Realpolitik

Want to play diplomacy? Want to GM a game? Want to learn what the game is? Good.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by viggo View Post
    he's right. that's where he got the idea, and that was his original question.
    Still, there's no question that the Havenite revolution was inspired by the French Revolution. Among the major features:

1. Purging the Legislaturists (the ruling aristocracy)
    2. All titles (particularly in the military) are preceded by "Citizen" - Citizen Captain, Citizen Admiral, Citizen Lieutenant...
    3. A Committee of Public Safety taking charge.
    4. A leader by the name of Rob S. Pierre.
    5. The capital city of Haven? Nouveau Paris.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

right, but your question was narrowed such that we would be forced to read your mind to get the right answer.

and most of those parallels are unnecessary. a committee for public safety that usurps power and starts screwing things up is all you need for the reference.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Are we only waiting on TeeEl? Has anyone heard from him lately? Is this idle chat indicative of boredom? Am I asking too many questions?
    Last edited by Shular; 2008-10-10 at 07:25 PM.
    Throk, Half-Orc Fighter

10. - Top - End - #40

Are we only waiting on TeeEl? Has anyone heard from him lately? Is this idle chat indicative of boredom? Am I asking too many questions?
    We are not just waiting on TeeEl, though he's the only one that seems to have disappeared. I have complete confidence the other sets of orders will come in.

Anyway, I have an alternate lined up, so if TeeEl doesn't turn in orders, I'm not going to adjudicate. Instead, I'm going to tap Vexen and give him 48 hours to make emergency negotiations. Then, on Tuesday, I'll adjudicate. Sorry for the waiting, but I'm really a hater of 1st turn NMRs
    It says signature, but when I tried to sign my name, I just got pen on my computer screen.

Diplomacy:
    GM - The Lyapunov Affair

Want to play diplomacy? Want to GM a game? Want to learn what the game is? Good.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Fair enough.

I'm heading out tomorrow afternoon and probably won't be back until after orders are adjudicated (this being a long weekend in Canada), so if anyone has any last minute discussions they want to have with me, please send in your PM asap.
    Throk, Half-Orc Fighter

12. - Top - End - #42

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by thewamp View Post
    We are not just waiting on TeeEl, though he's the only one that seems to have disappeared. I have complete confidence the other sets of orders will come in.

Anyway, I have an alternate lined up, so if TeeEl doesn't turn in orders, I'm not going to adjudicate. Instead, I'm going to tap Vexen and give him 48 hours to make emergency negotiations. Then, on Tuesday, I'll adjudicate. Sorry for the waiting, but I'm really a hater of 1st turn NMRs
    You did get mine, right? I'm sure I sent them to you, but I just want to make sure they didn't get lost in the interwebs ...

Quote Originally Posted by shular
    Is this idle chat indicative of boredom?
    Yeah, pretty much.

"I do not know what weapons we will use in World War Three, but in World War Four we will use sticks and stones."
    -Albert Einstein

13. - Top - End - #43

Quote Originally Posted by Moody the Wise View Post
    You did get mine, right? I'm sure I sent them to you, but I just want to make sure they didn't get lost in the interwebs ...
    The remaining non-TeeEl orders have come in, so don't worry about it.

Diplomacy:
    GM - The Lyapunov Affair

14. - Top - End - #44

This is your 8 Hour Warning
    Though most of you have orders in. But hey, if you want to change your orders, now's your chance.

Diplomacy:
    GM - The Lyapunov Affair

15. - Top - End - #45

Orders are now due on Tuesday (2 days) at 2300, GMT-5
    Because Vexen is taking the spot of TeeEl. You've got 2 days to negotiate if you want any changes. Sorry about the delay, but giving someone an Austria that's NMRed on the first turn... well it didn't really seem sensible.

Diplomacy:
    GM - The Lyapunov Affair

16. - Top - End - #46
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

Vexen Here reporting for duty.

(OoC: Please send all communique's via PM. Since I am still in Around the World, another diplomacy game, if at all possible please place in the message that this is for FoW, listing what country you are from would be helpful too. :) Thanks)

17. - Top - End - #47

Vexen, you are awesome, thanks for the rushed orders
    Spring 1901

Austria - Vexen
    A Vie - Tyr
    A Bud - Tri
    F Tri - Alb

England - viggo
    f edi - nwg
    f lon - nth
    a lvp - yor

France - Shular
    Bre - Pic
    Par - Bur
    Mar - Gas

Germany - Moody the Wise
    F Kie-Den
    A Mun-Ruh
    A Ber-Kie

Italy - Meshakhad
    A Venice-Tyrolia
    A Rome-Venice
    F Naples-Ionian Sea

As a special addendum for the troops attacking Tyrolia, they are to attempt to capture all ski resorts intact.

Russia - MeklorIlavator
    Flt Stp to Fin
    Arm Mos to Stp
    Arm War to Ukr
    Flt Sev to Holds

Turkey - Maldiem
    A Con - Bul
    F Ank - Con
    A Smy - Ank

Fall Orders are due Sunday at 2300, GMT-5

The Swiss Spring Story
    After a hectic banking season, the swiss have much to report! Your money is safe, as always, but we'd prefer if you didn't try to access it at the moment. In the the land of FarFarAway, there's a sort of minor financial meltdown. Nothing to worry about. Please don't panic. It might change the pitch of your voice and then we would have to lock down access to your vault: how do we know this person we are speaking to isn't a fraud?

Many Countries Claim Peaceful Intentions, but their Actions are Suspect
    Why are so many armies and navies on the move? Why didn't Austria and Italy warn enough about their exploratory parties sent to Tyrolia? Are these countries truly as peaceful as they claim?

Switzerland Encased in Big Gray Thing
    To protect our great nation from the barbarian hordes of Europe, the Swiss Government, acting in your best interest, has build a big gray thing to protect us. It's sort of like a wall and a ceiling and will show up on most world maps from this point forth

Diplomacy:
    GM - The Lyapunov Affair

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

*** HEADLINES FROM FRANCE ***

French Forces Mobilize! - Top military source claims "They're just routine maneuvers, nothing to be concerned about."

English Channel Remains Empty! - Sailors anticipating waffles in the near future.

Austrians and Italians Clash! - Le President urges the two powers to "just get along"
    Throk, Half-Orc Fighter

19. - Top - End - #49
    Orc in the Playground

The Belgian Post

All out of Waffles!

"We don't actually make that many of them! Certainly not enough to feed armies! Why does it feel like thousands of Belgiums, sideways in time and space, have all been invaded by foreign powers spouting hackneyed waffle jokes!?" Raved one Belgian nutter, from an alleyway while waving a broken bottle of malt liquor.

The Turkish Ululation

Iceland, Ireland, Sardines, Sicily, Crete, Cyprus Steal Swedish Big Grey Thing Technology
    3-Letter Designation Technology Reported Safe

Look at them there, invulnerable, brooding, with their massive spy networks.

Sultan Declares War on "League of Big Grey Things"

These powers clearly posses technology beyond most other nations, and seem sinister behind their impenetrable veils. Also, the Isle of Man and some of the Balearic islands seem to be missing, and the League has been implicated. Investigation is underway.
    Last edited by Maldiem; 2008-10-15 at 08:41 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground

England declares war on Turkey, Japan, Ireland and Brazil!

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

So thewamp, while we wait for others to post their headlines, what is the "Blind with Spying" variant?
    Throk, Half-Orc Fighter

22. - Top - End - #52

BlueKnightGuy

So thewamp, while we wait for others to post their headlines, what is the "Blind with Spying" variant?
    ... Why do you ask? I haven't heard those words around these parts in years ...

I ran a Youngstown game for a while that could be described as such.

Players were only made aware of the locations of units that they could see (with each unit having a 1-space sight radius), and got the full locations of all of the units of one power of their choice every turn, the power they were spying on.

It ended up just being too much work, and became a regular YT game, then eventually died.

-Albert Einstein

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

On the main Diplomacy thread, thewamp (is that name, by any chance, related to the Mountain Wampus from the old C64 game "Mule"?) indicated he had one scheduled, and I wanted to know the rules.

I was thinking of running a different variation that I'd thought of (don't know if it's an existing variation, but if so then it's just coincidence), where The players would know who the other players are, but NOT which country each was playing. They could then communicate with whomever they want, and even claim to be a different country to trick other players. The players would have to determine who was playing which country based on the moves and PMs.
    Throk, Half-Orc Fighter

24. - Top - End - #54

On the main Diplomacy thread, thewamp (is that name, by any chance, related to the Mountain Wampus from the old C64 game "Mule"?) indicated he had one scheduled, and I wanted to know the rules.

I was thinking of running a different variation that I'd thought of (don't know if it's an existing variation, but if so then it's just coincidence), where The players would know who the other players are, but NOT which country each was playing. They could then communicate with whomever they want, and even claim to be a different country to trick other players. The players would have to determine who was playing which country based on the moves and PMs.
    Nope, comes from my last name. That variant sounds kind of badass though.

Blind with spying involves the following:
    Players don't get to know where opponents pieces are. The only time they are aware of them is when they directly interact.
    However, each phase a player may choose another to spy on. He then chooses to spy on orders or on spies. So if you spy on england, you can either figure out who england is spying on, or what england's orders are.

That game is planned for after around the world finishes (which could be coming up? I'm not sure what the players are planning).

Diplomacy:
    GM - The Lyapunov Affair

25. - Top - End - #55
    Orc in the Playground

The Italian Investigator

Tunisian Anarchists, Austro-Hungarian Empire Accused Of Parliament Attack!

Today, Director Meshakhad announced that the government had conclusive evidence that the Parliament massacre was the work of Tunisian anarchists, backed by the Austrian government.

"I have every intention of bringing the enemies of the state to justice, and if I have to, I will use the National Army and National Fleet to do so," the Director said at a press conference in Rome.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #56

BlueKnightGuy

The Gutenburger

French Infantry in Burgundy

The dastardly French have moved troops within a short march of Munich. In an attempt to prevent further advances towards German territory, the Kaiser has commissioned a large sign to be placed along the border with an arrow pointing towards Switzerland: "Germany this way." Hey, it's cheaper than the big grey dome.

Drunk Russian sailors unable to find water, carry boats to Finland

Italy, Austria Quarrel

Come on guys, get along. But ... don't get along so well as to put an army into Tyrolia. Okay, nevermind, keep fighting.

-Albert Einstein

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

The Russian Report

New slogan of Imperial Commissars announced- The Government claims that the new slogan ("the Shootings will continue until moral improves") will dramatically increase moral. The announcement is thought to have been a response to the recent Sevastopol mutiny, which was blamed on low moral.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Orc in the Playground

6.5 Hour Warning?

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll see your 6.5 hour warning and raise you a negative 21 minute query.
    Throk, Half-Orc Fighter

30. - Top - End - #60

Sorry about the lack of a warning. Fortunately, you're all awesome enough to get them in anyway.
    Fall 1901

Austria - Vexen
    A Vie - Tri
    A Tri - Ser
    F Alb - Gre

England - viggo
    A yor - nwy
    F nth C A yor - nwy
    F nwg S A yor - nwy

France - Shular
    A Gas - Spa
    A Bur - Bel
    F Pic - Eng

Italy - Meshakhad
    A Ven-Tri
    A Rom Hold
    F Ion-Gre

Germany - Moody
    A Ruh S A Bur-Bel
    A Kie-Hol
    F Den Hold

Russia - MeklorIlavator
    FLT FIN to SWE
    ARM STP to FIN
    FLT SEV to RUM
    ARM UKR sup FLT SEV to RUM

Turkey - Maldiem
    A Bul - Ser
    F Con - Bla
    A Ank - Arm

Builds!
    England: 1 build
    France: 2 builds
    Germany: 2 builds
    Russia: 2 builds
    Turkey: 1 build

From now on out, all times given are in Eastern Time (of the United States Variety). I believe it's GMT-5, but I could be wrong, because of daylight savings time. Anyway, if you're worried get your orders in one hour early
    Builds are due by Tuesday, 10/21 at 2300
    Spring 1902 Orders due Sunday at 2300

Headlines, including the FarFarAway Fall Facts to come when I've got more time.
    Last edited by thewamp; 2008-10-19 at 11:33 PM.

Diplomacy:
    GM - The Lyapunov Affair