New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A World of Gods

1. - Top - End - #91
    Bugbear in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: A World of Gods

This is randomness intervening:

In every city, in every race (that reproduced and those that didn't), in every activity and every word randomness had come in. Some golems began to malfunction, some children born were born below average, while others became geniuses that affected the world. Mistakes were made in forms, some deliveries were late, some were early. Misunderstandings and accidents started occuring as Obi's presence began to affect all things.

The bigger the establishment, the more accidents would occur, the more births the more deviances. The effect was still small but it was noticable to someone watching carefully. That was bordum, he began to notice as time passed, as soon as reports came in, sometimes there would be small discrepancies. The single biggest report being the referencing of all insects was affected more.

The bigger the establishment misunderstandings occured in bigger numbers, words said when none should be spoken, wrong words.

Things went wrong all around, but in a way, balance would be kept. Some things went wrong, but some things went better. This was Obi's contribution to the world, however, that was not known to him. Perhaps nobodyd would realise..perhaps someone would...maybe someone would be lucky, the lady(that being lady luck born of Obi) smiled to herself as she observed the world.
    "God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players, to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time." (Good Omens - Terry Pratchett)

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

(I wanted to plop in and say, I didn't know what I was getting into when I joined this game. I think that I shouldn't bother with this, I may be out of my league.)

3. - Top - End - #93
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jack summoned the golems that were like him to his side, all golems who had been affected by Obi. Jack then asked them, who am i? what should i do? why doesn't anyone like me?
    [CENTER]

Con is the opposite of Pro, SO
    Congress is the opposite of Progress

4. - Top - End - #94
    Orc in the Playground

OOC - Sorry kemmotar, I didn't realise that Obi had the orcs, I must have misread/misunderstood/missed something. Sorry, I shall edit it so only a few days pass and the orcs won't convert. Sorry again.

Arthropos

I do not wish war, indeed I did not realise the mammalian village was under you're protection. If, however, you press war against my Scorpoids, I will do my utmost to protect them. They are my favoured race, just as these orcs are you favoureds. Arthropos sent to Obi, and he called off the locusts. Then, because Arthropos wished for his Scorpoids to be able to defend themselves against aggression and misunderstandings due to their form, he found some mosquitoes and improved their size and intelligence and granted them telepathic communication. They were now about cat-sized and intelligent enough to make effective spies and, if neccessary, assassins. They were given orders to spread out into the world and listen for any plots or plans to attack the Scorpoids or their desert. Then, as a gesture of good will, Arthropos sent a group of Scorpoids with enough food for themselves, the village and a bit extra just in case something went wrong to the orc village. Also, as I don't believe we have met or even had any conversation, my name is Arthropos and would you accept trade between the orcs and the Scorpoids? My Scorpoids have had encounters with creatures of the same general shape as your orcs, but have yet to meet any mammals. Oh, and may I enquire as to your name?
    Last edited by Earl of Purple; 2008-11-06 at 02:30 PM.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

5. - Top - End - #95

Devil

To anthropos:

He responded to the telepathic message in his usual soft and giddy voice Ahh chill...nobody but your insects could want or be able to live in that desert of yours so i don't want your lands. Keep them, but don't come into mine with plagues and armies and aallll shall be well. I know not how the orcs fare for now, go to my son, Raban, he shall trade with you if he deems it beneficial for the orcs. My name is obi...well it isn't, my real name is too big to be useful and anyone who uses it afterwards hates me...no idea why though...What's yours newcomer? What's your agenda here?

As he said these words he was already travelling back to his palace, he hadn't seen Filomina in ages and wanted some nice homecooked food...although she sometimes burned the food with her fire....

As he arrives there he sees a whole in his great black tower, a castly of wood and tin and a woman and a...maybe...a golem sitting around. He floated gently there and in the voice of a mother scolding her children said:

somebody's got some explaining to do here i think...first of all who blew a hole in my tower, second, who built a castle on my palace and where is Filomina?????

His voice was completely smooth but anger reverbrated under the surface and the feeling that he deemed himself higher than the ones he was talking to. The hat squinted at the golem very conspicuously, while the bowtie looked at the woman with a mix of admiration and the question: are you going to take responsibility? How pieces of clothing were able to seem to have expressions was, however, a mystery to both listeners.
    "God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players, to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time." (Good Omens - Terry Pratchett)

6. - Top - End - #96
    Dwarf in the Playground

(first of all, jack and aleya are both children, and secondly, obi is actually kind of Jack's father.)

Upon spying Obi fly in, Jack-in-the-box cried out, daddy! you're home!
    [CENTER]

7. - Top - End - #97

Devil

OOC: I knew Jack was kind of a golem, didn't realise aleya was still in childlike form, apologies

Obi chose to ignore for now why that golem called him father and would like for now to be concerned more with the tower while trying to figure out an explanation for a second child...He still waited for an answer glaring, now with both the bowtie and the tophat, at the golem child!

8. - Top - End - #98
    Orc in the Playground

Arthropos

Hello then, Obi. My name is Arthropos, and I am the god of invertebrates and reptiles. As for the desert, I chose it because I know that mammals do not like it here for some reason. How may I contact your son, Raban? Arthropos then, because he wished for somewhere for him to go when he got tired of the mortal realm and his Scorpoids still lacked an after life, created a plane and populated it with everything a Scorpoid, Dragonfly or Mosquito could wish for. He also made it a perfect replica of the material plane, so that if Arthropos later created races for seperate habitats, then they, too, would have somewhere to live.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jack sprung powerfully up at Obi and wrapped his small arms around him. daddy, why won't that girl be friends with me?
    [CENTER]

10. - Top - End - #100
    Orc in the Playground

"you're just.... creeping me out..." aleya said. she didn't like things that didn't like water.
    Politics is the most accurate word in the English language. "Poli" in Latin meaning "Many" and
    "tics" meaning "little insects"

11. - Top - End - #101

Devil

It seems that you are ignoring my question...let us deal with the hole in the tower and we'll solve the friendship problem, ok....

He realised he didn't know the baby golem's name...

Ok, what's your name child? And yours young lady?
    As he decided that he had better take them on his side since if they started crying it would spell trouble...he had no idea what to do around children! What a predicament...he sighed...

OOC: Note to aleya, the tower is build in the middle of the ocean...hence I either like water or don't dislike water...

12. - Top - End - #102
    Dwarf in the Playground

i'm Jakente'hounx, daddy. I don't know who she is, but she made me wet, and tried to rust me, and the hole was there before i got here, do you like my house?
    Last edited by Anonymous Man; 2008-11-07 at 04:43 PM.
    [CENTER]

13. - Top - End - #103

Devil

uhuhh..yes it's very pretty...but bear with me Jakente'hounx...if you're my son...then i'm your father...and since i'm a god...you're a godling or half a god? Who's your mother anyway? Have i met her?

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Well... bugger. spake Golodi, frustration edging into his voice. The rate of technological growth was staggeringly slow... almost as if this world was traveling on some srage time scale. I know I said I'd try let things happen but... hey, if anybodies going to be the one to say 'oh, I wonder what happens if I do this' it might as well be me. Let there be... TECHNOLOGY!!!
    And so Golodi uplifted each cultures level of technology.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Dwarf in the Playground

well...i guess i'm a godling. but i don't think i have i mommy. ]

(Obi, he's a new god, born of the different races you created, and of the mischeif you make. but if you want to get really technical, then his mom would be The Lady. also,)
    Spoiler
    Show
    have you read any Terry Pratchet books?
    [CENTER]

16. - Top - End - #106
    Orc in the Playground

"I'm Aleya, and i think it was the raven lord who did the hole. my palace is just over there." she said, pointing underwater.
    Politics is the most accurate word in the English language. "Poli" in Latin meaning "Many" and

17. - Top - End - #107

Devil

So no mommy, only daddy? Oh you poor thing how you must have suffered!come here and give daddy a hug!!
    he said as he took on his human form bent down and tried to lift jack, realising he was too heavy and after sweating a bit he put him down and settled for a kneeling hug...

As he hugged him he tought...poor thing is an orphan!
    With no better timing than credited to his own powers Filomina appeared fuming and flaming from seemingly out of nowhere and said:

YOU HAVE BEEN CHEATING ON ME???YOU SAID YOU LOVED ME, YOU SAID I WAS YOUR QUEEN.......YOU HAD ANOTHER SON!!!!HOW DARE YOU??....... she remained speechless for several seconds to see that Obi hadn't noticed her. She procceeded to open her great maw wide and let loose a jet of flame at his backturned figure which NIARRR promptly turned into a lovely rose petal shower. She threw herself over the cliff at with a great yell at which point Obi raised his head and said with mild surprise:

Where did those roses come from? Was it you young lady? If it was you son then I will not tolerate gender indecision in this family!
    He sat thoughtful at the last phrase...something was bothering him...
    AHA, I just noticed...are you a son or a daughter? Never had close enough relations with a golem to wonder...are you a golem son...or daughter...Are you a golem Jack?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous Man View Post
    have you read any Terry Pratchet
    Who me? I abhor the accusation! I have read too many Terry Pratchet books for my own good, probably. I thought nobody was gonna notice the bad part is i liked the too much, you may have noticed the bowtie and tophat staring stolen from suitcase, lady again from the tales of rincewind and at some point before I made obi i was thinking of making thhe goddess of things that stuck in drawers...ever read making money? hehe
    Last edited by kemmotar; 2008-11-07 at 10:48 PM.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Dwarf in the Playground

i'm a son, daddy. and who was that who just tried to breathe fire at us?

Spoiler
    Show
    are you kidding? my family has every Diskworld book ever written! also, jack only weighs about 5 pounds, and is made of tin.
    Last edited by Anonymous Man; 2008-11-08 at 08:56 AM.
    [CENTER]

19. - Top - End - #109
    Orc in the Playground

Arthropos

Arthropos told the mosquito-people to look for this Raban, telling them he would probably be in a big mammal city. Oh, Obi, the Scorpoids aren't insects, they're arachnids. Every other creature I have so far created are insects, however. Arthropos looked at the various ways of government, but he did not like any of them very much, except for those divided into castes, and the Scorpoids already had a council of elders at each settlement. Arthropos pondered how the Scorpoids could rule effectively, as they were spread out across the desert. So he decided to create a race that would act as judges for the Scorpoids, and he did it with beetles. He gave the beetles hands, so that they could act as scribes and record Scorpoid history and write up trade agreements, etc. He gave them empathic and mind-reading abilities so that they would always judge fairly and would be able to get the best possible price for anything they wished to buy for the Scorpoids. The beetles chosen were flightless, and so were these. They, like the Scorpoids, had only two arms, but whilst the Scorpoids had eight legs, the beetles had four. Arthropos decided to name the new beetle race the Scarab Scribes.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Orc in the Playground

Sorry guys, but I think I have to drop out. I don't have the time to devote to this game and the others. It was fun, feel free to npc Bordum.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kemmotar View Post
    [COLOR="Magenta"]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Who me? I abhor the accusation! I have read too many Terry Pratchet books for my own good, probably. I thought nobody was gonna notice the bad part is i liked the too much, you may have noticed the bowtie and tophat staring stolen from suitcase, lady again from the tales of rincewind and at some point before I made obi i was thinking of making thhe goddess of things that stuck in drawers...ever read making money? hehe
    (Wee Free Men!!)
    Aleya sighed. "well, bye." she dove underwater to her palace, where she hung out watching tv all day.

(she's more into her "teenager" stage now.)

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Check the sig.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Dwarf in the Playground

(Okay, kemmotar, the jj, and now mizzim? tell, me is there anyone in this thread who does not read Terry pratchet? alos, Bordum will now join The Raven Lord in limbo.)
    [CENTER]

24. - Top - End - #114

Devil

OOC: dammit i was just preparing to play a joke on bordum!!!anyway i'll do it for fun and then completely misunderstand bordum going in limbo if you don't mind.
    Also, i'm the god of misunderstandings, what makes you think lifting anything is part of my portfolio? 5 pounds is too much to lift with hands...

Realising something Obi immediately got an idea and sent the one co responsible a telepathic message:
    Bordum we had a son!!!
    I mean it all makes sense, he said to himself, he doesn't have a mommy, or doesn't know his mommy...he's a golem and he's i think very...what was the word?? Bordum used it...aahhh yes...chaotic...makes perfect sense. He said I was chaotic, he's the god of golems...what could be simpler!

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm in the process of buying and reading all the terry pratchet books, each one is better than the last!too much fun to be had in each book!

25. - Top - End - #115
    Orc in the Playground

[sopiler] my parents won't let me read the discworld sereies. then again, when I tried to read one, my brain died. ALL TERRY PRACHETT THINGS SHALL BE IN SPOILERS!!!!!!![spoiler/]
    my spoiler isn't working...
    Last edited by mizzim; 2008-11-09 at 10:19 AM.

26. - Top - End - #116

Devil

OOC: your spoiler isn't working because the second spoiler thingy is supposed to be like this : [/spoiler]...and why will your parents not let you read Terry Pratchet?

Obi was waiting for Bordum's answer...he waited and waited but got no answer...he turned to Jack and said:

It's ok son, we'll make it by ourselves even i some snob gods don't want to talk to us! Now tell me about yourself...

27. - Top - End - #117
    Orc in the Playground

(cuz they think it's too confusing for me... and they'r probably right...)

28. - Top - End - #118
    Dwarf in the Playground

(Terry pratchet is confusing, yes. but thats why its awesome.)
    [CENTER]

29. - Top - End - #119
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I have read the Discworld books. I have read a lot of other books, too (my bedroom is more like a library), but I do like the Discworld. I recently rereread The Wee Free Men. And the extra re is there on perpose.

Arthropos
    Arthropos observed his Scorpoids, and they were inhabiting every oasis in the desert, but they were running low on building materials, as most trees were being used by Scorpoid farmers producing aphid-jelly and stone was hard to find. And yet, spiders were plentiful, each one producing silk nests. So Arthropos increased the size of some spiders and increased the output of their silk. He taught the Scorpoid builders how to use the silk as a building material, and eventually silk tent-like constructions out numbered the wood and stone cubes.

30. - Top - End - #120

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by mizzim View Post
    (cuz they think it's too confusing for me... and they'r probably right...)
    How do you mean confusing? As a plot or confuse you as a person to start believing the world is a disk carried by 4 pink elephants on the back of a great start turtle wading with slowness and yet with purpose towards somewhere? Anyone who can believe that that is true were crazy enough before reading the book and it's much better that the secret is now in the open