New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Royal Myth

1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Default Royal Myth

Has it been confirmed that royalty exists as a visible label/stat? or do sides just assume someone is a royal because they have high stats. If people dont walk round tagged as royalty it would explain why Ansom wasnt 100% certain about Jillian. Any thoughts on this?
    GENERATION 19: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. This is a social experiment.

''Never argue with idiots, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.''

''Common sense is very uncommon.''

''It ain't sin if you crack a few laws now and then, just so long as you don't break any.''

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Royal Myth

Maybe they are tagged with a royal label. It is just that Jillian was from a defeated kingdom. It could be her label was removed when her kingdom fell.
    Sniper Extraordinaire for Clan Giant (now defunked)

Thanks in order Shades of Gray, LordRod,and rtg0922 for the awesome avatars.
    Spoiler
    Show
    They really made my day!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Being a barbarian shouldnt negate her royal or heir status though since she's still both those things. Unless theyre hidden from other units until she tells them about it?
    GENERATION 19: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. This is a social experiment.

''Never argue with idiots, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.''

''It ain't sin if you crack a few laws now and then, just so long as you don't break any.''

4. - Top - End - #4
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MattR View Post
    Being a barbarian shouldnt negate her royal or heir status though since she's still both those things. Unless theyre hidden from other units until she tells them about it?
    Obviously, Jillian's stats don't say "Royal" -- there'd be no way to keep it secret. That might mean that "royal" isn't something that routinely shows up in visible stats, or that a royal who survives the fall of their side's capital is no longer "royal" in game-stat terms, or something else.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMB View Post
    Obviously, Jillian's stats don't say "Royal" -- there'd be no way to keep it secret. That might mean that "royal" isn't something that routinely shows up in visible stats, or that a royal who survives the fall of their side's capital is no longer "royal" in game-stat terms, or something else.
    That was my earlier point though, if it doesnt exist in stats then there's no such thing as a 'Royal' just units with higher stats who people going around calling royals.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Royalty in Erf is probably the same as "royalty" in the real world.

Being royal means you're descended from a royal, who was in turn descended from a royal who was in turn descended from a royal.... The only difference is what defines the original royal. In erf's case, it's some dude who claimed he was descended from the titants.

Though, there was also mentioned that royal units gain experience a little faster or something.
    Belkar's Bad to the Bone.
    Dispossible a fetter hein and bemay kine a sinder's tock.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

That was my earlier point though, if it doesnt exist in stats then there's no such thing as a 'Royal' just units with higher stats who people going around calling royals.
    Parson explained the Royals benefits quite clearly, and I think that it's out of option to consider that in the game mechanics. Royals levels faster, to say one. It would be very hard to fake such an occurrence.
    If Jillian has never shown to be royal, it's just two option:
    - Barbarian can't be royals (makes sense);
    - Royalty is not a shown stat (like Natural Thinkmancery)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

One would assume a Royal would "pop" already as heir, as opposed to Stanley, who had to specifically designated heir. This would thus be obvious at the time of "birth" but not necessarily at some later point.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Ansom might simply not be able to see Jillian's stats. Do we have confirmation that allied unit stats are visible, for one? You might only be able to see stats for units that are actually on your own side.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Demented View Post
    Royalty in Erf is probably the same as "royalty" in the real world.

Being royal means you're descended from a royal, who was in turn descended from a royal who was in turn descended from a royal.... The only difference is what defines the original royal. In erf's case, it's some dude who claimed he was descended from the titants.

Though, there was also mentioned that royal units gain experience a little faster or something.
    no, not descended from, but mandated by the titans to rule a part of their creations... descenants of the Titans would make Parson seem tiny in comparrison. They're taller than the mountains!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Capt'n Ironbrow View Post
    no, not descended from, but mandated by the titans to rule a part of their creations...
    Could be just Ansom's trip. For what we know, Titans' mandate could be to fight-dance.

Theory: Royals are better units (faster leveling, more stats) because royalty presume inbreeding (even in a world where reproduction is a matter or ordering a son to the Pop-O-Matic.
    And if you played Final Fantasy VII, you should know that inbreeding leads to better units. ChoCOOOOO!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Halfling in the Playground

I wonder if Erfworlders see titles the way Parson can.

Remember, one of the big plot elements was that nobody knew Jack's name, yet Parson was able to see it through the 3D glasses.

The same could apply to a lot of other things.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenitor View Post

Remember, one of the big plot elements was that nobody knew Jack's name, yet Parson was able to see it through the 3D glasses.

Casters and warlords can naturally see a unit's stats. Apparently, they don't see the unit's individual name (at least, not if they don't know it already), or else Stanley would have known Jack's name.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

Parson was able to see the name once he learned it. Before that he would have seen the stats but not the name.

Otoh, there do seem to be at least 2 levels of stat vision. Ansom can't see the stat "Under Compulsion Spell", but Charlies Angels can.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Halfling in the Playground

Parson was able to see the name once he learned it. Before that he would have seen the stats but not the name.
    But then how did he get the last name?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Hmmmmm, I assumed (and I'm probably wrong) that a Royal unit must have a capital city for their side. Hence when Faq was taken Gillian didn't disband (being an heir) but as she had no city to call her capital the game automatically branded her a "barbarian" (which I assume is the term for any active unit without a capital)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

But then how did he get the last name?
    Wanda told him.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Barbarian in the Playground

Zombie

Back to the topic....

My completely unsupported theory:

Royals are....the original players of the game, and whoever gave their accounts to when they got sick of it.

Stanley represents the new players who actually pay to play: attuning to an arkentool costs real bucks.
    Last edited by Brewdude; 2008-10-11 at 04:29 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dr pepper View Post
    Wanda told him.
    it seems Parson was rather surprised to see Jack's last name in http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0120.html ('Jack...Snipe?'). i dont think Wanda told him before that thinkagram.
    maybe those goggles give him more information than the usual warlord ability. remember, he's the perfect warlord now.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

He's not surprised. That's how a lot of people make initial contact with another person. They say the first name, pause, and say the last name as a question. I do it that way sometimes.

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by lug0si View Post
    it seems Parson was rather surprised to see Jack's last name in http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0120.html ('Jack...Snipe?'). i dont think Wanda told him before that thinkagram.
    maybe those goggles give him more information than the usual warlord ability. remember, he's the perfect warlord now.
    MEaning if he had worn the glasses the whole time he would have seen his name anyway. That's my opinion and Parson realized it then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    If the players figure out and try to stop this from occuring, the wizard instantly crafts a HUGE mound of quarterstaves and clubs to obscure himself before teleporting out.

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by Brewdude View Post
    Back to the topic....

My completely unsupported theory:

Royals are....the original players of the game, and whoever gave their accounts to when they got sick of it.

Stanley represents the new players who actually pay to play: attuning to an arkentool costs real bucks.
    You Sir are made of awesome-sauce.

There's only two or three non-royals with Arkentoools though, I was thinking you have to pay just for not being royal.
    Last edited by Moechi_Vill; 2008-10-12 at 10:06 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I would imagine Royals are the units that first popped when the first "game" of Erfworld started. In this way they claim to have some relation to the Titans because they were clearly not ordered to be "popped" by others. Its the whole "king by divine right" thing.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

I'm losing the purpose of this thread. It was about the fact that Royalty could be a fake myth in Erfworld. Actually I think there are objective reason to consider it as real.
    The hypothesis that Royal are just the first players, or the beta tester, would means that this privilege is inherit by units descending from the original player unit. Kinda a game breaker, in my opinion.