New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [EVERYONE WELCOME] You are the Character: Survive, Part II

When the figure starts at me, if I am significantly covered by the door, I will jump back inside, as previous described. However, I will spend about 10 minutes attempting to communicate with the....aggressor. If I am not able to start any line of communication I shall swiftly head to either the Gulf War or the WWII exhibit and get myself a somewhat modern firearms, assault rifle is preferred, followed by SMG (and ammo of course). I shall also be scrounging any kind of packs or hostlers from this(ese) area(s) to increase my storage and make carrying my weapon easier. I would prefer low velocity and high weight rounds, such as a .45 over a faster and lighter round, like a 9mm, for my sidearms. Now properly armed, I shall set off about each level unlocking the fire-exits and checking all doors and rooms. Whenever I move past an exposed area I check outside to see if I can spot any more of the aggressors, if I do I make myself scarce and hide as I pass across windows and doors.

I hope to fortify this position and create a kind of fortress for myself and anyone I can find. Once I reach a level with a Renaissance-y period exhibit I shall *liberate* a lightweight sword and any daggers I find. I don't really have the upper body strength to control a large sword without two hands or an axe.

When I have cleared a few levels I shall be sure to rest and eat, restock my strength. I need to remember what I saw on the figure. Any particular wounds or obvious signs to distinguish him/her/it from myself? a healthy human? Was it someone I know? Were they wearing a uniform common at the museum? Also, did this encounter happen during the day time or was it a nocturnal event? just before dawn perhaps?

After my break I clear the rest of the museum and start to practice throwing my daggers. I find a soft target and begin at 10 feet. When I can consistantly connect with the general area I am aiming for I step back 5 feet. Once I have reached 30 feet I repeat from 10, wanting 5 accurate and consecutive throws before I move back. I am not trying to rush so if I think a few may have been luck then I shall not count them. During this time I try to think of a clever acronym for the funk-infested. Once I have finished my training bit I want to take anything useful I can find downstairs and move it nearer to my hideout. I also try to find a map of the city. I want a plan before I set foot outside of this building.

Also, I check messages and send out more and post more threads on forums. Is Yahoo Answers running? Oh, and let me know if I find a flare gun and flares.

EDIT:
    I've got 3 acronyms for consideration. Like one? Got a better one?

Hostile and
    Actively
    Aggressive
    Persons

Altered
    Individuals

Positively
    Unfriendly
    Nightmarish
    Creature
    Last edited by DrizztFan24; 2008-10-15 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Adding Acronyms
    Kirby-on-the-Dragoon-avatar by Oregano, thanks bro!

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Roland St. Jude
    Sheriff of Moddingham: - .... .-. . .- -.. / .-.. --- -.-. -.- . -..
    That's brutal. No mercy from the gunslinger ITP.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ettin in the Playground

Your Updated Situation

Zorander, your crack to the knees is a wise move; the man is mid-lunge as you deliver it. He manages to get an iron grip on your arm before he goes down, buit what he was intending to do to you you'll never know; your second crack across the head leaves him unconscious. His grip softens but you have to shake your arm to get rid of his hand. Then you are safe back inside the building.

The west staircase explained (3rd try): The west staircase is, strictly speaking, a fire staircase. From 4th floor you can open the door to the stairwell. From the stairwell you can not open the door to 4th floor (or to 3rd, 2nd, 1st, B1, or B2.). From the stairwell you can open the door to outside (on 2nd). From outside you can not open the door to the stairwell. I didn't want to call it a fire staircase because it's not one of those little metal stairs that hangs off tyhe side of the builing; this is a real staircase, surrounded by four solid walls. It's just all the doors are one-way from (deeper inside the building) -> (farther outside the building).

Since more of you are no checking the west staircase, I will also add that it runs up as well as down, to a roof access. This roof access is normally kept locked, but occasionally is left unlocked by the maintenance guys who go up there to smoke (I know this because IRL I use the west staircase as a place to take cell phone calls without being disturbed). There is a 10% chance it is unlocked; if this dice roll is a 10 you're in business: (1d10)[7]. (So the roof access is locked, then.)

The east staircase is completely diferent. It's open at 4th floor, no door at all; the top door to the storage room is a normal two-way door; the door to the outside, currently being pounded on quite loudly (except in Zorander's world), is a one-way door the opens from the inside only and has no external door handle or knob of any kind.

The person outside was not familiar to you and had no obvious wounds, but looked sickly-pale. Since many of you suspect zombies I will also add in that this person was not rotting.

Lordhenry, there is a door handle on the outside of each door, but it is locked and you haven't the key. The door to the outside world, however, has no external door knob or handle of any kind. Right now you do not have any 90-degree item that is thin enough to go under the door as you described. You can tape the locks or prop the doors, if you want.

Proven-Paradox, you find that yes, you can recall the elevator to the 4th floor and, by leaving the 4th floor West Staircase door propped you can access lower floors and then return. You also discover that the elevator is in security mode, and will only taske you to 1, 2, or 3; not 4 or the basement levels.

I assume that you will all leave the east offices now, closing the mag-lock door behind you, in case your friend outside were to manage to batter in the door somehow.

At this point I feel you guys have exhausted this floor and most of you have given plans for where to go next. I'll wait a little longer for any last-minute ideas or questions and then we'll finish the area, award demon roaches, and move on. I'll check back in a bit.

ap
    Last edited by Another_Poet; 2008-10-15 at 09:28 AM.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

As the figures jumps to his feet and charges, I calmly pull out ashtray and pull door shut.
    I only had my head out anyway (and arms to throw coffee cup I guess).

Did the man looked drugged up like the news report?

I try shouting "who are you?", "Are you infected?", and "why did you charge me?"
    I try my best to communicate, but if it fails oh well, walk back to the office.

Is there anyway to shimmy down a rope (phone cord or electrical cord tapped together or whatever) down to 3rd floor? I gather up a couple of electrical wires from the office (unplugged first) after all most the computers are unuseable.
    I do'nt unplug the Mystery writers' computers because I need something function...maybe later

I remember, you mentioned that the 4th floor can spit down to 1st floor... do the other floors have openings to that main area as well?

If so I try to make the "rope" (I name it Mr. T). I was a Boy Scout (did'nt make Eagle but whatever) so I know how to knot and tie up things tight. I wasn't bad at roipe climbing in gym so I can climb a rope.

I do a couple test runs with the "Mr. T" before putting my plans in action. I find something sturdy and heavy to tie the initial part of "Mr. T" to. Like a Desk or something.

I make sure, that the desk is heavy by putting some of top of it.

Then I make sure my "Mr. T" is long enough and I made enough hand holds so that I can climb down without rope burn (cause that hurts).

If all goes well, I can a access-way between 3rd floor and 4th floor in case I need to come back up.
    Although, I can't promise I'll climb fast back up...so not to be used if zombies are chasing me... unless I'm desperate.

With that in mind I climb down and look around: broom in my teeth and at the ready.

4. - Top - End - #94

Another_Poet
    was my post addressed in your response? Or are you waiting until everyone else ventures to another level?

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #95
    Pixie in the Playground

RangerGuy

I take a deep breath and go back to the 4th floor, securing the east office mag-lock door. I check my computer for the weather reports for the past 3 days to see if it rained (suspecting airborne contaminant)and rest for the night. In the morning, I prop open the 4th floor door on the west stairwell and take the elevator to the 3rd floor, searching first for any occupants or information (recent newspaper), then exhibits for other weapons (ax, sword, guns with ammunition, bow and arrows), flashlights and batteries and perhaps a coil of rope (what type of exhibits? Glass cases of items or dioramas of scenes?). I don't worry about smashing the glass cases, but use caution so as not to get cut. I will work my way down floor by floor using the same caution for others. I look for a cart on the library floor so I can carry extra items to the stairwell. On the first floor, I carefully search the gift shop for maps, marbles, flashlights and disposable cameras with flash. I check the front desk and all the drawers and cabinets hoping to find keys. In the cafe, I scrounge for wrapped food and canned and bottled drinks and eat.

At the 2nd floor outside world door (west side), I listen carefully for any noises, then holding my cleaver in my hand, crack it open to see if anyone is out there, if I detect no persons, I prop open the door and take a quick look around.

I will examine the basement levels later.
    Last edited by Zorander; 2008-10-15 at 11:35 AM.
    Zorander, or ZZ to my friends

A grain of sand is overlooked until it gets in your eye

6. - Top - End - #96
    Bugbear in the Playground

Alrighty then. I believe there was a janitor's closet up here, the last thing I do before I go is search in there for a keyring, because damn that would be helpful. If I don't find one...

As for the door, I tape the catch in so it is effectively unlocked. However, this leaves the fourth floor vulnerable to someone coming in, so I leave an "alarm." Depending on which direction the door is facing, I bend a paperclip at 90 degrees and put it so that when the door opens, it will move the paperclip. I extend the bottom part of the clip so that it is visible from the other side of the door. When I return to this floor, that's the first thing I'll be looking for before I open the door: has the paperclip been disturbed.

If I found a keyring that can open these doors, I don't tape the catch, but I still leave the clip.

If I found the keyring, I now take the stairs down to B2 (looking for guns/other weapons). If I didn't find one, I'll save my lockpicking skills for another day and go down to 3rd via the elevator.

EDIT: acronyms!

Contaminated/Reanimated Enemy Persons
    (pronounced CREEPs)

Hostile, Infected Persons
    Last edited by Dr Bwaa; 2008-10-15 at 12:29 PM.
    For people who enjoy reading or writing.

Spoiler
    Show

Awesome banner/avatar by El_Frenchie!

Play chess? Look me up! (bwaa)

Formerly known as lordhenry4000

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ettin in the Playground

Drizztfan: Actually I missed your post while typing my own. Most of it will depend on what you find in the next area. Here are a few other things:

No keyring in the closet.

Yes, I believe you can get the cord-rope (Mr T) to work. It will actually take you to the 3rd floor, which is several normal floor-heights below you. (You can slo see part of the second floor below you; the floors are kind of staggered, as you'll see in the map I eventually povide.)

No updates from Gas Station Guy or other posters online; no new email either. Weather report does include scattered rain showed and cloudy weather over the past few days - not unusual at this time of year in your area.

I think that's it. Area 2 wrap-up in just a moment.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ettin in the Playground

Area 2 Wrap-Up!

From now on, the demon roaches awarded in each area can be accumulated and spent to alter minor details in the museum! This is how it works:

DEMON ROACH RULES
    Spoiler
    Show
    1) Demon roaches can never create or delete an NPC.
    2) 6 demon roaches can be spent to change 1 detail in the museum. This overrides what I've posted, and affects all players, not just you.
    3) Players can pool their demon roaches to make a change. Players must decide who spends how many, and must be very clear about this to me. ONE of the players speaks for the group and states exactly what change will be made - best to work it out in PM before you post it to the thread.
    4) Players can spend 6 demon roaches to veto 1 change made by other players. This must be done soon after the change is made, before it affects plot significantly. Both sides then lose their spent roaches. Multiple players can gang up to veto, just like multiple players can gang up to make a change. Again, ONE person posts with the exact veto on behalf of the group. Work it out in PM before you post.

Got it? Spend 6 demon roaches, make a change. If your change is ridiculous (There's a loaded bazooka kept in the museum! Score!) I will override it, but I'll at least let you keep your demon roaches. Note that my decisions are totally arbitrary, but I do have an actual museum to scope out to inform me. I'll try to be both honest and fair.

HOW DO YOU GET DEMON ROACHES? Easy.... post a particularly clever AND believable solution to a problem, or amuse me in some way. Read the demon roach awards below to get a sense of what works.

AREA 2 DEMON ROACH AWARDS!
    Spoiler
    Show

AstralFire: hot coffee weapon

Asbestos: knowing more about emergency broadcast than I do

LordHenry: first to do the fuse box thing, and roleplayed it well ("As I explore this floor, I'm keeping an eye out very carefully for any panels that I might walk past every day without noticing."
    and for describing some pretty elaborate... umm... "duct-tape gear" and backing it all up on his very own character sheet.
    and for being the first to leave a way for whoever was outside the door to get back in. How nice of you.
    and for having the best quote so far (see earlier post)
    and for the coolest securing-the-door-but-leaving-it-unlocked method I saw (disturbed paperclip trap)

Starbuck II: for using the imaginary internet to check the actual website on which this imaginary game is actually being played. Or something.
    and for convincing me you can make and use a phone-cord-rope to climb between levels.

PaladinBoy: for being the first to actually try to get a bag/briefcase to carry stuff.

DrizztFan: for coming up with what I thought was the absolute best weapon idea (but see bellow) plus adding chemicals to the mix. You scare me.
    and for starting the enemy acronym game

Deej: for realistically hacking his/her coworker's computers. Sweet!

Colmarr: For starting to work on one of my favourite jury-rigged weapons, the molotov. He doesn't have the flammable filler yet, but it's a start.
    and because you also left the door open for whoever was outside, and I think LordHenry simply ninja'd you.
    and for doing the elevator experiment and figuring out you can use the stairs no problem

Zorander: for making an around-the-corner peeper

obliged_salmon: for making what I think is the absolute best weapon anyone's made so far, the Paper Cleaver.

TheFallenOne: for guaging time elapsed by facial hair grown. Brilliant!

Proven_Paradox: for keeping a tidy and up-to-date inventory

Also, I'd like to retroactively award to quillbreaker for being the only person in Area 1 to admit that his/her (fairly believable) cellphone recharge attempt might destroy his/her phone. Nice!

Demon Roach Cumulative Totals:
    Spoiler
    Show

9 astralfire

1 asbestos

3 colmarr

2 deej

3 drizztfan

4 flashlight

4 Gralamin

6 Jack Zander

14 lordhenry

2 obliged_salmon

1 paladinboy

1 Proven_Paradox

2 quillbreaker (retroactive)

2 starbuck II

2 Tadanori Oyama

2 TheFallenOne

1 zorander

Congratulations roach-winners! See you in Area 3!

edited to clarify: Everyone can join Area 3, not just roach winners. The link to the new area should go up tomorrow.

ap
    Last edited by Another_Poet; 2008-10-15 at 04:12 PM.

9. - Top - End - #99

Cool. I'm happy with 3 roaches

Quick question though: You didn't answer my question about visible wounds on the figure that attacked us. You mentioned that he wasn't rotting, but nothing else.

I'm trying to figure out whether the "funk" is transmitted by injury or by something else (air, contact, ingestion etc).

That might be relevant to what we can/can't eat, can/can't touch and can/can't go.
    Last edited by Colmarr; 2008-10-15 at 05:02 PM.

10. - Top - End - #100

@Colmarr, I think he mentioned somewhere that the man wasn't bleeding. Not sure where though.

Also, hooray for moving on up (or down, as the case may be)! For the record, here's the updated version of my character sheet (I'll probably just post it again in the next area but oh well). can't wait!

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Another_Poet View Post

Starbuck II: for using the imaginary internet to check the actual website on which this imaginary game is actually being played. Or something.
    Thanks, I appreciate them.

The internet thing was working so why not: I almost decided to post to check this thread and see how I was doing, but decided against it because how often does that make sense.

12. - Top - End - #102

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    The internet thing was working so why not: I almost decided to post to check this thread and see how I was doing, but decided against it because how often does that make sense.
    But recursion is a computer's (and time travel's ) best friend!!

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Colmarr View Post
    Cool. I'm happy with 3 roaches

Quick question though: You didn't answer my question about visible wounds on the figure that attacked us. You mentioned that he wasn't rotting, but nothing else.

I'm trying to figure out whether the "funk" is transmitted by injury or by something else (air, contact, ingestion etc).

That might be relevant to what we can/can't eat, can/can't touch and can/can't go.
    I had stated it somewhere above, but there were no obvious wounds.

14. - Top - End - #104

Quote Originally Posted by Another_Poet View Post
    I had stated it somewhere above, but there were no obvious wounds.

No worries. I obviously missed it. Thanks.

Now I'll have to go through Area 3 holding my breath in case it's an inhaled contagion!

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

No worries. I obviously missed it. Thanks.

Now I'll have to go through Area 3 holding my breath in case it's an inhaled contagion!
    Unless it is in the coffee: remember the guy outside had like 10 cups in his trash can.

16. - Top - End - #106

Or it is something else and has a dormancy period. We could be infected and just have not joined the crowd yet. Good thing I don't drink coffee....or tea.

Could be contact, maybe no wounds needed.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ettin in the Playground

update: it won't be till tomorrow at earliest that I get the next area up. If not tomorrow it won't be till Monday. :(

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DrizztFan24 View Post
    Or it is something else and has a dormancy period. We could be infected and just have not joined the crowd yet. Good thing I don't drink coffee....or tea.

Could be contact, maybe no wounds needed.
    Yeah, that is true...why are we uninfected? Are we infected?

I mean, what if we look hideous/zombie-like and that was why he attacked us?
    Granted, I would have noticed in the bathroom mirrors...unless we can't see the change.

It's cool Another_Poet: that way I have something to do monday besides study for Organic Chem Exams.

19. - Top - End - #109

My paranoia is spreading! Mwuhahaha
    Kudos and thanks to Mortugg for the awesome custom avatar!

Colmarr's Blog: The Astral Sea.

20. - Top - End - #110

My paranoia is spreading! Mwuhahaha
    I'm calling dibs on the paranoia; I decided to wear a mask as soon as I encountered the guy outside :p

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

Nice, I got two demon roaches. They demand cake

So, if in the next area we're streamlined into one character again, can I keep my improved glaive(the one that uses both duct tape und a phone cord to attach the cleaver to the broom stick which should make it way sturdier)?

There was still something I wanted to do in this area, I'll just post it, if you don#t accept any more actions for area 2 now I'll delay it until Area 3.

Contacting that guy at the gas station
    So I know he left the gas station and I know he tried to make it to the houses along Lake Drive. He's the last confirmed survivor I know of so I should try to make contact with him.
    I'll use google maps or something similar to look at the route from the gas station to Lake Drive. I determine the 30something houses he could reach most easily from his location. Then I look up the phone numbers of those houses and give each of them a call. If I get an answering machine I leave the following message.
    "Hi <nickname>, my name is <whatever>, I saw your message on CNN.com and figured you'd end up in one of the houses in this area. I'm not sure what's going on but at the moment you and I are the last two humans I know of who are still alive and sane. Please contact me so we can work together to get through whatever is happening now. My email is [email protected], the phone number of my current location is <number of one of the phones here, preferrably one with an answering machine>, please don't be alarmed if I don't answer on the first call, I'm exploring my surroundings to get supplies, secure shelter and something to defend myself with. Just try again. Stay alive, I hope to see you soon."
    If he made it to Lake Drive that should give me good chances to contact him without having to go there, he'll sure use the phone sooner or later to check on friends and family and won't be able to resist a blinking answering machine.

PS: I think you didn't tell me if I can acess my voicemail from the computer so I can try to make that voice discernable with a few audio filters. If I can't download the message, is there perhaps a microfone one one of the computers so I can make a recording of the message?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

22. - Top - End - #112

@Fallen
    The phones don't work :( They all give an error message, calling anything from any phone (land or cell).

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, I remembered later. Damn [urinating dog]. I'd totally forgotten, I thought it was just that nobody answered

So, if we can change a detail inside the museum with 6 roaches, how many do we need to get the worldwide phone network back online? 400 should suffice I think? Let's get creative guys!

What I really don't understand is why I can call my voicemail without getting an error message

edit: in any case, it might be a local and not a worldwide problem, so I'll test if I can call anyone with Skype
    Last edited by TheFallenOne; 2008-10-19 at 03:37 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ettin in the Playground

The voicemail on your cell in inaccessible. The voicemail on your work landline, like all the work numbers, is accessible. It's locally stored and you can call all in-house numbers. Outside numbers don't work.

It is not checkable from your computer. If you find a mic you can try to make a recording and clean it up.

Items will coalesce, the best and most impressive will be on the new inventory list.

Should be up later today.

ap

25. - Top - End - #115

Emphatically not complaining that the game isn't up, I'm just asking to make sure I didn't miss the post or some such?

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ettin in the Playground

You didn't miss it, it just hasn't been posted yet. And I appreciate the not-complaining, but even so, I feel I owe an apology. Sorry the game isn't up guys! This week is crazy. I may still get it up this week, but next week seems more likely.

Feel free to keep pestering me - it does actually increase the amount of time I put into this :)

27. - Top - End - #117

In that case, infinite pestering ghosts follows you about...just to make sure :P

I am afraid I am addicted and now want to start a PbP game that if free-form like this, but a different setting.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #118

Consider yourself pestered by me too.

I'm loving this game, and every morning and afternoon this week I've been a sad panda after realising there are no new posts
    Kudos and thanks to Mortugg for the awesome custom avatar!

Colmarr's Blog: The Astral Sea.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Pixie in the Playground

RangerGuy

My lonely demon roach is nipping at your heels!

Spoiler
    Show
    Zorander, or ZZ to my friends

A grain of sand is overlooked until it gets in your eye

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

This is rather fun. It lets me do roleplaying. Since I've been stuck without D&D at college (this year, last yrar my DM graduated) this helps lessen my fix needs (I admit I'm addicted to roleplaying).

So post the next part soon, please, I need my fix.