New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default The Ruined Gate... (A short DND game)

Sir Luther, baron of a minor fiefdom, had lost his lands almost at the moment that the Orcs invaded. Ever since he'd been with a ragtag following of whomever was willing to face the Orcs under his banner. Though not unkind, sir Luther was not an inspiring leader, but rather a man of tradition. Not long after the knights of the realm had agreed upon the task of driving back the Orc's had he gathered his rag tag band of followers and ridden of towards the gates.

Blinded, perhaps by duty, perhaps by a shot at glory he sallied forth, driving his men at arms towards the Orcs. A few hundred yards from the palice they encountered entrenched royal troops, desperately trying to hold a baricade against the invadors. Cleaving a path towards these men the true desperation of the situation became clear. On the small market square where the baricade of overturned market stalls and carts was fiercely defended Sir Luther and his henchmen quickly found that they too were surrounded. Rather then rally men to his cause Sir Luther had surely doomed them all, trapping them amids dozens of Orcs.

Steeling himself he ordered a charge, to break out and as he spurred his horse forward to lead the way an Orc spear pierced the noble mount beneath him. Sir Luther did not last long on the ground, a single swift action by a fierce looking Orcish chief ended him.

Now his followers were leaderless and as the barricades behind them were stormed they stood before the band that had killed their master: One fierce chieftain and half a dozen battle hardened Orc beserkers...

Situation
    Spoiler
    Show
    Situation is as follows:

The south end of the square is covered by the hastenly erected baricade of overturned market stalls and carts. It is 'guarded' by 17 royal soldiers, but currently being overrun by a lot of Orcs, who seem more occupied with the taking the baricades then fighting the party.

Three large streets and some small side streets exit the square. The side streets are narrow and those near to you lead to the slums. The large streets are overrun by Orcs, the side streets seem relatively clear.

A small band of Orcs stands between you and the nearest main street that Sir Luther tried to charge of towards, as it lead to the great Northern gate. It consists of:

1 Orc Chieftain
    6 Orc Beserkers

At a distance of some 60 feet.

These Orcs look like they're very much willing to fight you and they just killed your leader. Still you are close enough to the side streets to try and make a run for it if you so desire and they don't give chase. The nearest side street is about halfway between you and the orcs.

Technical stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    Each post should start with your characters name in bold and your HP and AC in it as follows:
    Sir Luther HP -12 AC 21

Sir Luther lies dead and intends to use his actions doing nothing.

Ah what pretty white lights... he thinks to himself.

"Hi Grandma!!!" he says as he sees his elderly grandmother stand before him at heavens gate.
    Note that speech is in colour (please everyone select a different colour, first post get's first pick) and thoughts in italics. If you want to roll anything put it in a spoiler tag.

Stuff to roll yourself:
    - Every action you decide your character takes
    - Damage dice and to hit dice in the same post (if you miss, I'll just ignore the damage)

LAST MINUTE RULE UPDATES
    Spoiler
    Show

WEAPONS
    Weapon damage dice are now doubled!!!*

(ie a longsword now does 2d8 damage)

OTHER DAMAGE IS NOT DOUBLED, ONLY THE NUMBER OF DICE ROLLED

SPELLCASTING

- If you cast a spell requiring a saving throw, just roll 1d20 and add your intelligence/wisdom/charisma and the spell level to it (in effect I'll fix all monsters saves at 10+saves and let you do the rolling to speed things up)

IE an intelligence 14 (+2 modifier) wizard casting burning hands (lvl 1) will roll 1d20+3

- All spells dealing damage now add +1 damage per die of damage*

IE an intelligence 14 (+2 modifier) wizard of 3rd level casting burning hands will deal 3d4+3 damage

*To speed up combats mostly

The Kingdom
    Spoiler
    Show
    The kingdom is very much fantasy medieval in the sense that superstitions and fear play a very big part. Stories of heroes exist, but are far and few between. Magic is a rare gift and (permanent) magic items are often treasured heirlooms, your items most likely came from the war (taken from fallen enemies), or from family/church vaults.

Oh and a kind of Salic law applies (salic law prevents female inheritance of lands)
    Last edited by Wizard of the Coat; 2008-10-17 at 05:22 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: The Ruined Gate... (A short DND game)

Sam

The thin, young looking boy gasps at the sight of his superior falling. Sam was thin and not terribly tall. He was terribly young looking as he still grew now facial hair, and his voice was often tinged with the high pitches of a young boy. But he was terribly strong for his age, and fast, faster than it seemed possible. His heavy mace held loosely in his hand twitched as his hand firmed its grasp around it. He turned his head towards his companions and said, "Does anyone have anything that can take the Chieftain out? Magic or something?"

What would he want us to do? Run? Fight? Who needs protection more now, the town's people, or us?
    I'm not dead. I am also not a walrus.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Graven HP: 36 AC: 18

Graven glances back at the barricade, then forward at the orcs and their chieftain. He grips his longsword as he looks around at his friends and comrades. "Heironeous is with us my friends. I say we show this orc why he should never have come to our city."
    Last edited by Ipphli; 2008-10-17 at 06:00 PM.
    A mind without purpose will walk in dark places. - Gideon Ravenor

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

A muffled cry comes from beneath the dead horse. The body begins to move ever so slightly as the muffled screams grow more and more frantic. Finally the girl trapped underneath the beast crawls out gasping for air. "Oh gods! Never go under a horse! I thought the smell would kill me." She is fairly short with bright red shoulder length hair that has yellow streaks in it. She is wearing a close fitting leather vest and knee length leather pants. On her hands are fingerless elbow length gloves made out of lace. All of her clothes are black.
    Marie stands up and brushes her hair out her face with her hand, straitens her vest, and looks around."Where is Sir Luther?"

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Graven

Graven looks over at the girl, shocked. "Miss, what are you doing out here? Don't you know the city is overrun? And I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this, but Sir Luther is with Heironeous now. You'd best stick with us now."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Marie looks confused, then angry. "Don't patronize me! I am not some foolish girl who just wandered into a fight! I was riding with Sir Luther when the horse was killed and I was trapped under it.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Graven

Graven bows his head. "My apologies. Still, we need to get moving before we are completely surrounded. But first let us deal with this scum that have killed our lord."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Marie glances over at the orc, then reaces into her pocket and produces a small stick. She waves it at the orc and three bright streaks zoom toward it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Magic Missile
    (1d4+1)[2]
    (1d4+1)[2]
    (1d4+1)[4]
    Last edited by An Enemy Spy; 2008-10-18 at 07:35 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9

Sam

Sam looks at the girl and smiles. She liked her immediately.

Spoiler
    Show

Should we wait for the rest of the party to post before attacking further?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Graven

Graven shakes his head as he readies himself. "Heironeous help us all girl, you're crazy!"

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Saul HP:39/39 AC:17
    Saul intends to spend a full round action firing at an orc berserker (or a single attack if that's all he can manage). In either case he will take a five foot step backwards.

Well, that settles whether we're fighting them. Let's hope we fare better than Sir Luther. Saul takes a deep breath as he notches an arrow and lets it out slowly while aiming at the orc to the left of the big one.

Spoiler
    Show

1st attack:(1d20+7)[19]
    Damage:(2d8+3)[11]
    If the second attack is used, subtract 2 from the first attack roll.
    2nd attack:(1d20+5)[18]
    Damage:(2d8+3)[6]
    Last edited by MeklorIlavator; 2008-10-19 at 03:05 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Marie backs up to the rear of the group

13. - Top - End - #13

Marie's missles strike one of the Beserkers who growls with pain. Spotting an opening Saul releases an arrow from his bow and finishes the job. The beserker falling to the ground with a dull dud. A moment of silence follows, that seems to last forever but is over in a flash as the Orcs watch their comrad fall.

"GET THEM"

The words were in Orcish, but there were few people who wouldn't have recognised the shout of the chieftain as the Orc's charged forward foaming at the mouth and ready to draw blood.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    @Marie: magic missile does 1d4+2 per missile (1 more per dice of damage for spell)

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Graven HP: 36/36 AC: 18

Graven holds forth his holy symbol for a moment, muttering a quick prayer to Heironeous. A loud sonic blast hits the orcs. Afterwards Graven steps forward, ready to engage that make it.

Spoiler
    Show

So we have 1 turn before the melee starts right? Rolling initiative

Initiative: (1d20+5)[6]
    Using Sound Blast, 10-ft radius. Trying to center it so it hits as many of them as possible. Fortitude save or they're stunned for 1 round. It does 1d8 of damage. So I guess 1d8+1 then?

15. - Top - End - #15

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Outside of 'Boss fights' I don't do initiative, it's in posting order and the monsters go last. A few of you got to act in the 'surprise round, now is round 1 of combat.

You can run, attack whatever you want.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Marie raises her wand and fires another blast
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d4+2)[6]
    (1d4+2)[4]
    (1d4+2)[6]

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Saul HP:39/39 AC:17
    Saul Drops his bow behind him and Draws his Glaive as a move actions, and prepares to receive the charge(ready and action to attack the first orc that comes within 10 feet).

Saul mutters a quick prayer, dropping his bow behind his back as he does so, and then sets his glaive in a standard defensive pattern.Hold Danu, just a bit longer.

Spoiler
    Show
    Your posts will signal each new round then?
    Also, how do should I handle Attack's of opportunity/readied actions? I'm going to roll for them now, but if you want to do something else for them just ignore this second spoiler
    Spoiler
    Show

Readied attack agianst first thing to come within 10 feet:(1d20+7)[9]
    Damage:(2d10+4)[14]

AOO are spent when ever an enemy leaves a square I threaten, but only once per enemy per round.
    First AOO:(1d20+7)[9]
    Damage:(2d10+4)[15]

First AOO:(1d20+7)[13]
    Damage:(2d10+4)[11]

First AOO:(1d20+7)[9]
    Damage:(2d10+4)[13]

18. - Top - End - #18
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

Derrick HP 24, AC 18

"Well, I guess we're fighting 'em, eh?"
    He decides to see if the simplest way to eliminate the threat is to reduce the numbers facing them.

Spoiler
    Show

Casting sleep, centered on the middle of the orcs. Sleep - (1d20+4)[10]

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

19. - Top - End - #19

Sam
    HP: 21 AC: 18 (after move)

Sam shrugs and responds, "More fun than running!" The boy is off in a flash. Sam moves quickly dodging around his fellow squires to get into position to take out one or more of the Orcs. The mace begins its journey to its intended target while Sam is still moving. The extra momentum makes the swing look nearly wild.

Spoiler
    Show

If Orcs are Stunned or sleeping, move to attack two Orcs. If they are all still up and angry, only get at one. Moving at least 10'.

Attack - (1d20+7)[10] Damage - (2d8+3)[7] Skirmish - (1d6)[2]
    If Orc falls and another's in range, Cleave:
    CleaveAttack - (1d20+7)[27] Damage - (2d8+3)[13] Skirmish - (1d6)[2]

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

(Is someone gonna post or what?)

21. - Top - End - #21

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Make sure to roll for your spells strength...like the sonic blast (1d20+5)[24]

ok...lucky...maybe rolling individually for each monster is better. From now on I'll roll monster saves, just state the DC's as normal.

The sonic attack by graven blasts over the Orcs as they charge, taking out their momentum and leaving them all stunned and bruised.

Marie's flick of her wand takes down another Orc beserker, whilst the sleep spell by Dereck leaves two others on the floor.

The remaining Orc beserker feels very lucky as Sams mace fails to penetrate it's armor.

With all Orc's stunned or asleep Saul can do naught but watch his comrads actions.

Spoiler
    Show
    You are quite lucky. Only 1 beserker and the chieftain are left and both are stunned for the round.

NEXT ROUND
    Last edited by Wizard of the Coat; 2008-10-23 at 04:49 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

Derrick HP 24, AC 18

"Aha! Stunning work my friends!" Derrick makes sure he's in range, and lets loose a sling bullet.

Spoiler
    Show

Move: Close within 50' if necessary. Primary target is the chieftain, if someone gets him first, then the berserker instead

Attack - (1d20+8)[13], Damage - (1d3+1)[3]

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

23. - Top - End - #23

Sam

Sam shakes his head and is happy for the opportunity to try that again. He practices his tumbling, unnecessarily, against the standing Berzerker and tries to take him out again.

Spoiler
    Show

Move around the stunned orc and attack again.
    Attack - (1d20+7)[18] Damage - (2d8+3)[19] Skirmish - (1d6)[5]

Note: I believe that the stunned folks also drop what they are carrying. Like weapons. If this is the case, picking it up will provoke an AoO. I'll go ahead and roll for it, and if the berzerker is still up next round and reaches for its weapon, Sam will attack again.
    AttackofOp - (1d20+7)[24] DamageAoO - (2d8+3)[15] SkirmishAoO - (1d6)[2]

And on the odd chance that one of those is a crit:
    CritConf - (1d20+7)[20] DamageCrit - (2d8+3)[15]

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

(Sorry I'm late, I forgot this was the thread! Too late to join back in?)
    Spoiler
    Show
    "I'll probably go with a Dwarf, maybe with racial fighter-based PrC in there. A VERY Dwarven Dwarf, Oh, and dual pickaxes. Let's not forget about dual pickaxes. I like it. It's Dwarftastic!"-Kragorr, (drunk) companion.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "If you're fighting fairly then you're not doing it right."-theBST

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Vrok View Post
    (Sorry I'm late, I forgot this was the thread! Too late to join back in?)
    (OOC: No worries, just jump right in)

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

Durnin chases the group down the street, bellowing for them to stop, then he halts, seeing the orcs. He unsheaths his axe, then races towards the battle. "Ye started without me!", he cackels, racing into the melee as best as he can.

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll0] Theres my attack on a normal Orc (if I can hit one that is!) and heres the Damage if I hit it= [roll1]
    Spoiler
    Show
    "I'll probably go with a Dwarf, maybe with racial fighter-based PrC in there. A VERY Dwarven Dwarf, Oh, and dual pickaxes. Let's not forget about dual pickaxes. I like it. It's Dwarftastic!"-Kragorr, (drunk) companion.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Saul HP:39/39 AC:15
    Seeing the battle turn to their favor, Saul charges the Orc Chieftain with a powerful attack.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack using the +2 from the charge for power attack:(1d20+7)[11]
    Damage with power attack for 2:(2d10+8)[17]

If there are any AOO's next round:
    Spoiler
    Show

Attack:(1d20+5)[16]
    Damage:(2d10+8)[17]

Attack:(1d20+5)[23]
    Damage:(2d10+8)[12]

Attack:(1d20+5)[14]
    Damage:(2d10+8)[22]

Attack:(1d20+5)[6]
    Damage:(2d10+8)[18]

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Marie pulls the small crossbow off her back. She aims it at the final beserker and with a small prayer to her guardian spirit, fires

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+4)[10]
    (1d8)[6]

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Graven HP: 36/36 AC: 18

Graven mutters a quick thank you to Heironeous, then charges the orc chieftain, swings at him.

Spoiler
    Show

Charge attack the Chieftain (1d20+8)[24]
    Damage (1d8+2)[8]
    Last edited by Ipphli; 2008-10-23 at 08:31 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

Is this over? I mean, no-ones posted in 2 days...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show