New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Vagabond (Act1 IC2)

Claudius seems relieved by Shimar's answer, although he becomes a bit frustrated again, after Lucian begins to speak. "Actually, sir Titus paid us only half of what he promised. He told us you would give us the rest, and that he'd consider all debts paid between you two." A rather flustered Claudius had obviously not predicted that Titus would put this upon him, and promises only ten platinum to each of the trio. "I can't just give away that much money to people I didn't even hire." he says, and continues to explain that they never had any direct dealing, whatsoever - and that they should be satisfied with that much alone.

He then returns his attention back to Harold, seeming to remember something. "You may go when you like; although Len and I have some matters to discuss privately - and I do, in fact, have further work for you, like I promised I would have." He looks to Shimar, and then to Drahlo. "I might have use for you, as well. But of course," He turns back to Harold. "You said you had business to take care of, so you may be on your way - unless you'd like to wait for the lady, that is. If you'd like to hear more about what I have to offer, you may always return in the evening or early tomorrow morning. In the meantime, be well."

He takes Len into his private study upstairs, and Lucian turns to leave. "Take care in your travels, friends. I may not see you for some while; the road beckons me elsewhere." He hands Drahlo the beaded necklace he received days earlier. "Hopefully, this will protect you along your way."

Anyone who remains in the entry hall is greeted by one of Claudius' servants, who waits to fulfill any requests that might be made of the lord's guests.

Harold departs for the Harpy's Head.

Len
    Spoiler
    Show

Although pausing for a moment to offer tea, Claudius jumps right to business. "I've heard of the doctor, and his first son...ran off, goes by some alias now; Silverweave, I think? His family didn't seem to want to talk very much about it, so understand that there was little I could learn from them...although I think you said that was your experience, as well. I hired some small-time investigators to track him down, and although they found very little, there seemed to be a link between him and several crimes committed within the city walls some time ago - mostly theft. The authorities have yet to find him, so I think he may have fled; perhaps he might be hiding in the wilderness." He sighs. "Other than that, I'm afraid I know nothing." He remains silent, awaiting your reaction.

Harold (I'm assuming you'd prefer I go straight to Wyatt)
    Spoiler
    Show

You swiftly arrive back at the inn, and go straight to Wyatt's room. After a couple of knocks at his door, it opens; and you are greeted by the man you earlier encountered on the street. He invites you in without delay, and you find Wyatt's room to be no less disorganized than you did the first time. However, Wyatt is nowhere to be seen. Instead, you find a complete stranger sitting at his desk, a rather tall and menacing thug to both his left and right.

The seated stranger is a man possibly younger than yourself, wearing a leather coat and holding a knife; picking at the dirt in his nails. At the sound of the door closing behind you, he places the knife on the desk and looks up at you with an odd grin. An unnatural grin. A grotesque expression that combined a great pleasure with an unnerving hatred.

"Mister Betruger, I presume?"

2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground

Harold Betruger
    Spoiler
    Show

Harold freezes for a moment as he realizes what must have happened here. But with the door behind him...panicking would ruin any chance he had of getting out of here with his pretty face intact.
    With a smile that's only a little obviously forced, Harold replies.
    "Yes, that's me. But you're not Wyatt. I assume things have changed a bit in my absence."
    Last edited by The Great Skenardo; 2008-11-03 at 06:21 PM.
    If there's nothing out there, then what was that noise?

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Harold
    Spoiler
    Show

"No, I'm not Wyatt." He maintains his grin as he speaks. "Things have indeed changed a bit. One thing among them being that I'm now the one you'll be answering to. Your friend Wyatt is...well...up to his neck in other matters, you see." One of his thugs let out a slight chuckle, and the seated man glances at him with his smile somewhat relaxed. When he looks back to you, he keeps the smile, but now hides his teeth. "Relax, Harold. You look like you've seen a ghost. Sit." He gestures to a nearby chair. "We're only here to talk with you."
    Last edited by Deepblue706; 2008-11-03 at 06:43 PM.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Troll in the Playground

Harold Betruger
    Spoiler
    Show

Harold nods. Wasn't like he had much choice in the matter, and he preferred to deal with people while they were at least pretending to be friendly.
    He takes a seat, and the action gives him a curious kind of freedom. There wasn't anything left for him to do, but to listen carefully and weigh the options. No hope of fighting, begging, or help. Just whatever the thug had to say, and then Harold would set to work.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

Harold
    Spoiler
    Show
    The man is obviously pleased with your compliance. He rises from his own chair, circles around, at sits halfway on the front-edge of the desk. "Wyatt says you've been working hard. Real hard. 'Cause you intend on giving us our money. That is your plan, right? To pay us back?" He doesn't really wait for an answer. "Don't answer that. Of course it is. You don't want to end up dead. The Guild doesn't want you dead, either - they won't be able to get much use out of you, that way. So, we actually want you stay healthy, my friend." He leans forward. "You're going to keep doing what you're doing. You're not going to say anything to anyone. We'll give you the time you need, but you better keep working. If you stop working, you stop breathing. It's that simple." He stands, circles back around the desk, and reclaims his knife. He looks down at his fingernails, starts picking at them again. "Any questions?"

6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground

Harold Betruger
    Spoiler
    Show

Harold nods again, relieved. This wasn't any different, really. The proverbial middle man had just been...cut out. If all they wanted was money, Harold was more than happy to give it to them.
    Easy come, easy go. And it's fair price for getting me out of jail.
    Oh Damn, I've got to make sure...
    He coughs.
    "Sorry, but one question; I just wanted to double-check the amount of money owed. How much are you expecting, please?"

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Harold
    Spoiler
    Show

The man suddenly halts, a grim expression on his face. He puts away his knife as a droplet of blood falls from his hand, and to the dusty, wooden floor beneath him. He slowly steps nearer, with eyes that seem engulfed in rage.

He stands silently a moment, simply glaring at you.

"Five." He finally says. "You owe us five. Don't come looking for us when you have it - we'll find you." He plunges his knife into the desk, and then signals to his men. They all leave single file.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Bugbear in the Playground

As Lucian passes him the necklace, Drahlo smiles (a scary orc smile) and grasps his shoulder. "My thanks, friend. Wind at your back on your travels."

Drahlo remains in the mansion, taking some time to browse the various items of interest he might find there--paintings, sculptures, shiny objects, and so on. When he notices the servant waiting for him, he turns and says, "The man--Claudis--is your master, yes? Would you tell him that I wish to speak with him about something when he gets free? I wish to ask him a few things about Len and Harold."

Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding any shopping I might do. I've got 500 from Titus and 100 from Claudius. How much did we get from the raid on the mansion? My next purchase is a wand of minor vigor, but I'm short for it right now... It might be a good idea to pool some funds for that when we get a chance.
    Last edited by Proven_Paradox; 2008-11-03 at 07:53 PM.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Troll in the Playground

Harold Betruger
    Spoiler
    Show

Harold nods, his expression neutral.
    "Of course, sir."
    he waits for some indication that he may leave.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

Drahlo finds a few of the paintings have actually been changed since the last time he was here - while he might recall a painting of a unicorn on one wall, it has been replaced by a depiction of some battle. There are lords with heraldic banners fighting one-another, one's army portrayed fighting under a sun-lit sky with few clouds (with a banner of what may be a Hawk) - the other under dark and stormy weather (with a banner of what seems to be a dragon).

The servant Drahlo questions answers with a nod. "Certainly, sir. I shall inform him of your request for an audience when it is fitting for me to do so." He remains standing in place. "In the meantime, can I fetch you a drink?"

Harold (OOC)
    Spoiler
    Show
    They've all left. You're free to go anytime.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Although pausing for a moment to offer tea, Claudius jumps right to business. "I've heard of the doctor, and his first son...ran off, goes by some alias now; Silverweave, I think? His family didn't seem to want to talk very much about it, so understand that there was little I could learn from them...although I think you said that was your experience, as well. I hired some small-time investigators to track him down, and although they found very little, there seemed to be a link between him and several crimes committed within the city walls some time ago - mostly theft. The authorities have yet to find him, so I think he may have fled; perhaps he might be hiding in the wilderness." He sighs. "Other than that, I'm afraid I know nothing." He remains silent, awaiting your reaction.
    "...I see." Len breathes, studying the floor for a while. There goes her last lead.

"You even hired people to find this out? I don't know what to say. Thanks."

She knots her hands under her chin, crestfallen...until an idea hits her. "You know, having seen what men like Thaddeus can do with magic...I wonder if this disease is just that. After all, it didn't spread like any plague I'd ever heard of.

I don't know how sorcery works; do you think maybe I can forget about Aereas entirely if I just find someone really powerful, like some high priest or something?
    "

(After this exchange, Len excuses herself to make room for Drahlo)

Last edited by Ya Ta Hey!; 2008-11-03 at 08:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar0k
    Probability has betrayed me, I thought we had a thing.

President, Founder, and Chairman of the Ya-Ta-Hey! Self-Promotion Club

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

Len
    Spoiler
    Show

Claudius frowns. "I'm no magician either - so I'm afraid I wouldn't know. However, if high magic is needed to cure you, I would expect it to come at a high price. Porto Giedion is a city that runs purely on coin, after all." He sighs. "As I said, I've always a need for hired-hands - perhaps if you continue to work for me, I can spare more funds in helping you through this."

With that, he lets you return to the others.

Len returns to the hall, and the servant goes off to inform Claudius of Drahlo's request. Claudius returns with the servant shortly afterward, looking a bit impatient. "How may I help you?" he asks, obviously not terribly interested.

13. - Top - End - #73

Drahlo looks awkwardly towards Len--the tactless shaman is uncertain how to keep this conversation private. In the end, he settles for moving close to Claudius (possibly invading his personal space in an uncomfortable way) and whispering to him.

Spoiler
    Show
    "During our travels together, Len and Harold spoke of some mission they needed to complete of dire importance. They seemed reluctant to speak of it openly. I've offered my aid to them, but they have yet to tell me what their task is. You seem like you would know more about it, and I was hoping you might tell me..."

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

Although Claudius seems to think Drahlo's mannerisms awkward, he tries to bear with him. "They've spoken to me of their troubles..." he glances to Len. "...and I do not think I could betray their trust to share their situation so openly with others. If you truly wish to know details of the sort, I think it better that you ask them, yourself." Claudius' servant whispers something into his ear, and the lord then turns to address all that are present. "I have other matters I need tending to; I hope that you'll pardon me." He leaves the room, although the servant remains, to address other needs you might have.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Dwarf in the Playground

Len heads back for the Harpy's head, going over her moneymaking plan with a fine-tooth comb before picthing the idea to Harold.

That is, if the good news isn't good enough to make it moot already. She stifles a grin, trying not to get too excited about possibly being free again; who knew that getting back to square one could be an improvement?

Spoiler
    Show

If she sees Harold all haggard and distraught:

"Hey. What's the blab, crab?"

Last edited by Ya Ta Hey!; 2008-11-04 at 03:12 PM.

16. - Top - End - #76

Shimar

The barbarian is content with the payment for undeadslaying fun, so when Len and Harold go on their own way, he goes back to the main square, to have something to eat. He leaves Flare at Claudius' place, but brings his dog with him.
    Troubles in Athkatla, an FR game about schemings around an ancient curse
    The messengers, a game about finding allies in times of need

Sorry about the lack of posting lately. I usually try to post once a day, but if it's server downtime, I'm in trouble.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

Shimar's search isn't too easy for him, in the city of Porto Giedion - what with being illiterate, and all. The various signs placed about are bright and flashy, but none give any indication as to whether they serve warm meals or sell ladies' evening attire. After some wandering, his feral senses kick in and drift him towards an alluring scent of beef, lingering somewhere in the distance. After poking his head into a few different structures, Shimar finds himself in a bistro, located at the base of what seems to be a building made for other purposes than serving food.

The place is modest, and filled with common folk who sit to meals of stew and roasts. Shimar finds no trouble ordering a meal of his own.

About him are various folk discussing numerous topics; some personal and some worldly. At a table to his left he overhears talk of pirates and trade routes, and then something of a prison-break. To his right, there is discussion over some sort of tournament. The rest of the chatter around him is indistinct and too difficult to make out.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

Harold Betruger
    Harold is seemingly deep in thought when he encounters Len.
    "Blab...Crab? Interesting. I'll file that one away."
    He scratches an eyebrow, and sighs.
    "Well. I didn't get to see Wyatt, but I saw his replacement equivalent. And he's still expecting 5,000 gold. So, really not much has changed. The proverbial axe has gotten no nearer our necks than occurs with the natural flow of time. I suppose we'll have to consider our next move..."

19. - Top - End - #79
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Still five? What happened to the gold we paid in already?"

Interest? Collateral? Tip? Len fumes secretly at the thought but sighs grudgingly, falling in step with the minstrel. "Rr, whatever. We're lucky to be alive if the Guild found us out, which I guess is what happened. "

She studies the cobblestones as they walk over them for a while.

"Harold, man, I think we've got this all wrong: We've gotten three jobs, all through sheer luck, and we aren't even one-fifth done.

Gortana stiffed us, and the only reason we got anything out of Claudius today is because we bailed him from a one-in-a-million situation--we're pawning ourselves for whatever handouts these tightwads think they can get away with.
    "

She gestures to the vast festival of mercantilism around them, prefacing the explanation of her plan. "I was thinking; would you be interested in taking a break from splitting skulls and maybe do something where we decide the price?

Back in Guilder, I spent a lot of time in the forges; I heard stories about princes and dukes, they'd commission magicians when they wanted warfighting equipment--and these guys would conjure it right there, from raw material, swords that could cut shields in half, armor suits you could run in.

I mean, pff, this was just legends to me back then but you know? Having seen what a sorcerer like Thaddeus can do on his spare time? Maybe it would be worthwhile to see what these local casters could do with a hunk of something valuable...

I have an idea, and I need you to debate with something even worse than golems: ...customers
    "

She watches for any glimmer of interest in Harold's eyes before explaining further.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show

If Harry likes the idea and wants to help, some bardic elaboration about Len's feasibility study (10th level mages, adamantine dealers) would be a good way to start...

Last edited by Ya Ta Hey!; 2008-11-05 at 10:31 PM.

20. - Top - End - #80

Drahlo bows to Claudius as he leaves and says, "I understand..." His is openly disappointed, but he leave it at that.

He hesitates for minute or so as he considers what to do next, and by the time he had decided, Len has left. Sighing and uncertain where to go from here, Drahlo will simply exist Claudius's mansion and wander about the city for a while, going wherever his whims take him.

21. - Top - End - #81

Shimar

Shimar asks for a big bowl of highland goulash soup with extra paprika and smoked sausage, with white bread. Since it usually takes a long time to make, he asks for goat cheese and red wine as aperitif. He tries to listen carefully what are they talking about at his right, for there was some tournament mentioned.

He will ask the waitress if he would be so kind to bring some bones to his dog.

Sorry about the lack of posting lately. I usually try to post once a day, but if it's server downtime, I'm in trouble.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

As Drahlo goes to depart, Claudius' servant calls out to him. "Shall lord Claudius await your return this evening, then?"

Shimar is quickly waited upon, and the waitress kindly fetches him anything he asks (including the bones for his dog). Although he turns his attention to the conversation regarding the tournament, he still cannot make out the discussion in its entirety. One man speaks in a raspy voice. "The Barbodian Games...undefeated gladiator...fights like a demon. I'm taking the next boat out..."

"'onna fight him?" asks the other, and then to two erupt into laughter.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Troll in the Playground

Harold Betruger
    Harold listens with half an ear to the scheme as Len lays it out.
    "I see. So you plan to find a powerful wizard for hire in this city and commission him with all of our money to cast a spell, which will then gain us something twice as valuable, by your reckoning, than the money we invested. In theory sound, but allow me brandish the cynic's spear here to poke holes in the beautiful plan."
    He steeples his fingers.
    "Consider what we put in vs. what we get out. We put in all of the money we have, essentially, making this an all-or-nothing gamble. Fine, fortune favors the bold and all that. Now consider what we get out; if the wizard is able to perform this task exactly to your specification, we have transformed an extremely large amount of money into a single item, which we then must sell. Taking as granted for the moment that there is a dealer in such things here that would be interested in buying something magically manufactured -How does he know it won't turn to sand tomorrow?-, We have to consider what we'll get from it."
    Harold pauses for a moment to make sure the fighter is following him thus far.
    "I've never known any dealer in exotics and luxuries to buy something for what it's worth; At most, we may get fifty percent of what it's worth. Even then, were I such a dealer, I would demand that the payment be delivered in about a week's time, to ensure there won't be a pile of sand where my new expensive purchase was the night before. So what we have here is a method turning gold into the same amount or less of the same gold, probably delivered a week later."
    Another pause.
    "As laundering schemes go, it's decent. As a profit-making venture? Not so much. Nonetheless, it's a good piece of thinking on your part, and I do encourage you to turn that surprising brain of yours to more ideas."
    The musician scratches his ear, absently.
    "I need to think for a while. Why don't you join me for a little walk around the city? Maybe we'll see something along the way which will jog our greedy, greedy imaginations."

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

Len sighs. "...Sure."

The two walk a while, and nightfall comes quickly. Most retreat to their homes, although some folk can be seen wandering the city, illuminated as they stand underneath the hovering lanterns that patrol the streets. You eventually come to the docks, rampant with drunken sailors and prostitutes who try to lure them in. A few even look Harold's way, although none make any calls to him.

It's certainly a rowdy part of town, and the lack of any guards in the area may make it prone to becoming unruly, as well.

"Well, I'm outta ideas. Howabout you, buckaroo?"

25. - Top - End - #85
    Troll in the Playground

Harold Betruger
    Harold nods politely to the various streetwalkers. If anything, he would have demanded pay from them for "services rendered."
    In answer to Len's rough-cut question, Harold tilts his head to one side.
    "Well," he says, finally, "I'm mulling over a few options. The one that's simple to the point of incredulity is to take out a loan from someone who's likely to be a bit more patient about the whole thing, and not threaten us with knives. If we can shift the debt to a more benign party, then we may pay it off with a bit more leisure, and a bit less of the fear that gives men wings, if you follow me. One thought I had was making a sort of bargain with the Church. We can scrounge a few good references," he says, tapping the pocket of his backpack where Wyatt's last surviving works lay hidden.
    "And even a few actual personages. That might be enough to convince them that we're not Vagabonds, anyways. The notion is that we make a sort of bargain with the Church. In exchange for an immediate loan of the needed funds -or some portion thereof- we agree to pay them back over time, summing to an amount 10% more than what we borrowed. They can put it towards a school or a hospital, or something."

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Okay, I'm just presuming Drahlo left Claudius' estate and just wandered.

Len thinks over everything Harold has to say with a great deal of thought before responding. "I like that idea. It makes sense. And, I don't think it's got any real risk involved." She seems rather positive until one thought strikes her, and then she slumps a bit. "You think the local church has that much money to give out? I was thinking that they spent a great deal giving alms to the poor and things like that. A portion, maybe - but I don't think they'd give us the whole sh'bang."

She glances around for a moment. "So, it's kinda dark out. Do you thi-" She turns towards a shadowy figure a short distance away. "Hey, isn't that D?"

Meanwhile, Shimar's waitress eventually returns, explaining the cost of the meal will be one silver piece. He is free to do what he will after paying - whether it be relaxing in the tiny dining hall or venturing the streets outside. Shimar would instinctively know it's starting to get late.

27. - Top - End - #87

Shimar

The young barbarian knows better than to fight gladiators, so he after paying, he leaves the inn, and looks for the place Len mentioned. Maybe there is something interesting happening, and he doesn't want to miss it.

28. - Top - End - #88

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry for my absence; for some reason the thread didn't show up as having any new posts for a while and I just assumed the game had just slowed down. <<

Drahlo turns to respond to the servant as he leaves, "I... suppose so." He doesn't sound terribly convinced himself. He then proceeds to leave.

---

After spending a good deal of time wandering aimlessly through town, the orc finds himself on the docks. His spots Len and Harold through his darkvision, and raises a hand to wave to them, approaching them with a half-grin. "Len, Harold. I... think the proper greeting for this time of day is 'good evening.'"

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

"Evenin'." Len replies, with a wave and a smile. She seems to ignore the cold of the harbor well. "Harold and I were just taking care of some business." She turns back to him. "If you want to head off and try to make something of your idea, I guess you should give it a shot." She shrugs. "I think we were a little too late to find anybody that could sell us some adamantine here...or maybe..." She glances off to a dockside inn, booming with the banter of undoubtedly drunken sailors of the ships currently in port. "...nah, maybe tomorrow. I'm going to check on what Claudius had to offer. I might be able to get him to give us some more coin than he paid for the previous jobs." She glances around. "Wait, where's Shimar? Is he off carting Flare around, alone?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry Amanodel; what place did Len mention? I just spent like fifteen minutes trying to find something she said to know where you're going. I didn't find anything.

Also, everyone should adjust their experience totals to 3052.

That's right. Level 3.
    Last edited by Deepblue706; 2008-11-11 at 01:09 PM.

30. - Top - End - #90

Drahlo shakes his head to Len. "I know not. He left earlier on his own. I think Flare is still at Claudius's... uhm... mansion?"