New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Celestial Winter

Adele - Harvest

Adele looks horrified as Steven hands her the scarf, her mouth hanging open in a mixture of disgust and disbelief. Clearly wearing a scarf just taken off a dead man is something she's not quite used to.
    "I-I'll manage."
    She says weakly, her unresponsive fingers letting the scarf drop to the ground if he refuses to hold it.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Baeln - Harvest

Watching Kai drift off with the scroll in his hand, Baeln turns to Adele and the others and flashes a grin.

"Let's continue then. Marching is the best remedy against the cold."

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Fialle

Fialle watches Kai sprint off with a mixture of apprehension and relief that it wasn't her doing that. Then again, it would be her heading further away from the villages... "He can catch up to us, right?" she asks, speaking to no-one in particular. "It isn't hard to follow us through the snow..."
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

4. - Top - End - #64
    Barbarian in the Playground

smile Re: Celestial Winter

Harvest
    As Kai sprints off in the direction they came, the group turns and continues on walking lightly over the snow. Nearly half an hour passes before through the falling snow they spot a few dim lighting lights that must mark Lonepine. The comfort provided by this sight swiftly fades as a series of unnatural howls sound across the valley. The cries sound something between the wail of a ghost and the grinding of shards of broken glass. The winter suddenly seems colder.

Kai
    Kai runs swiftly over the snow, almost seeming to glide until he reaches the town. Two fearful city guards armed with spears watch him advance nervously but it is not until he reaches the gate that he notices a third figure waiting in the shadows behind them. It is Beck, a large muscled man who serves as one of the leaders of the town guard. Wearing a rare suit of full plate and bearing a masterful halberd, he glares at the messenger with untainted disgusted, spitting lowly, "Filthy coward."

One of the guards glances back at Beck, catching his comment before glancing back at the messenger. Kai recognizes her as the daughter of one of the cobblers but he can't remember her name. She swallows uneasily, "Is...is it true?"

Beck steps into the torchlight, pointing his weapon in the young man's direction, "Did you even face the beasts before running like the worthless piece of trash who fathered you?" His face darkens as he shouts, "Answer me!"

The other guard is a short young man named Alvin who a few years ago was part of a gang following a thug named Bruce. A regular pastime of Bruce was to get his gang together to try and beat the crap out of Kai. Alvin looks at Kai levelly, muttering in quiet reply, "No way... Kai's crazy, the bastard ain't scared of nothin'."

Lonepine
    Elledan's first arrow flies far off into the snowy night, missing its target while his second flies true and strikes dead on. Heath's piercing bolt of lightning sears into the oncoming creature, striking it across the side and lashing on into the snowy night. His crossbow slick from the falling snow, Aldr's first bolt goes wide and misses the creature. The piercing bolt of lightning sears into the oncoming creature, striking it a across the side and lashing on into the snowy night. Dack, a noble companion, rushes forward to prevent the enemy from reaching the others. He strikes a mighty blow across the torso of the advancing figure but he is then in turn buffeted by an eruption of particles as the damaged matter where the creature was struck erupts away in all direction.

Eruption?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dack takes 1/4 of the damage he dealt. Reflex DC 15 for half. Evasion applies.

Dack knows the following automatically, the others have to roll.
    Spot DC 10: To note what happened to Dack.
    Spot DC 16: To note that the eruption of particles of flesh, well it doesn't seem to be flesh, has occurred with each wound.

Its advance cut off, the great figure clumsy slams at Dack with a great fist which he manages to nimbly evade.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+5)[23] (1d100)[55] [roll]1d20+9[roll] (1d8+5)[12]
    Last edited by Kaihaku; 2008-11-03 at 08:22 PM.
    Umuntu ngumuntu ngabantu.

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.
    ~Kahlil Gibran

5. - Top - End - #65

PirateCaptain

Aldr-Lonepine

(I rolled a 17 on my spot check in OCC) Aldr looks at the monster whom his attack missed. As Dack charged at the monster and the eruption of particles covered Dack. Aldr shouted out We must have hurt it!

Aldr took a breath and shot his crossbow hoping to land a hit.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+8)[21]
    Damage: (1d10+1)[6]
    Boo!

Steam ID: Dublock

Battle tag: Dublock 1-7-2-5

Feel free to add me but say GitP :)

6. - Top - End - #66
    Bugbear in the Playground

Steven Wallace - Harvest

Hearing the odd sounds, Steven quickly drew his bow and dropped to one knee. He then scanned the area for the source through the blizzard.

Spoiler
    Show

Listen: (1d20)[14] (um, I don't have access to my char sheet at work. Just apply my bonus as normal)
    Spot: (1d20+7)[24]

I'm not sure if Tracking can be used with sounds, but if it can here is my roll.
    Survival (Tracking): (1d20+18)[20]

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

Adele- Harvest

The girl shivers at the sounds and the cold, looking back behind them fearfully.
    "Come on... lets go a little faster."
    She starts speeding up, heading towards the lights.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Orc in the Playground

Default Lonepine:

Elledan:

Hearing the cheer from Aldr, Elledan quickly fires 3 more arrows at the monster.

Spoiler
    Show

Rapid Shot
    Arrow 1 - (1d20+15)[27]
    Dmg 1 - (1d8+6)[14]
    Arrow 2 - (1d20+15)[31]
    Dmg 2 - (1d8+6)[8]
    Arrow 3 - (1d20+10)[26]
    Dmg 3 - (1d8+6)[9]

These rolls assume that the creature is within 30ft (which I think he is) if not they will all be at 1 less to hit...
    GENERATION 14: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.

Current Characters:
    Dravick: Human Bard - Adventurer's Guild - Team Badger/Otter

Custom Dravick avatar by Shades of gray.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

Kai

Having accelerated to running speed when he got closer to Harvest and he stops right before the guards, so that his neck is close to the point of Beck's blade.

"Found a messenger from Lonepine on the way, withered like the victims in Springfed, lied there for less than an hour when we reached him. He had an urgent letter to the sages with him." Kai holds up the letter. "Either you let me through or you'll explain to the sages and the people of Lonepine why they get no help.", he ends his statement, with a dead serious, no nonsense tone in his deep voice.

Kai stares defiantly at Beck, right into his eyes, to force an answer out of him or make him avert his eyes if he has no answer. If he lets Kai through, he will hurry to the sages, otherwise the young man tries to get past the guard forcefully.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Baeln - Harvest

"Hah. Only a truly pathetic creature would make that sound. I wonder if they have the guts to face us?"

He catches on to Adele's speed regardless, keeping a hopeful eye on the lights that should be Lonepine.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Dack - Lonepine

Dack barely flings himself out of the way of the bulk of the stinging particles he tore off the creature. A few bloody scratches begin to slowly ooze down his cheek. Wish I had put some arrows in it from a safe distance, is what flashes through his mind before he launches himself back at the thing, hacking and slicing.

Spoiler
    Show
    Dack proceeds to make a full round attack against the creature:

MainHand1 - (1d20+14)[7](21) Damage - (1d8+5)[7](12) Reflex - (1d20+9)[19](28)

OffHand1 - (1d20+14)[13](27) Damage - (1d8+5)[1](6) Reflex - (1d20+9)[20](29)

MainHand2 - (1d20+9)[9](18) Damage - (1d8+5)[4](9) Reflex - (1d20+9)[19](28)
    reno dakota there's not an iota of kindness in you
    you know you enthrall me and yet you don't call me it's making me blue
    (pantone 292)

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ettin in the Playground

Heath stops, watching the being attack the man he misled, hoping this will be a chance to prove his mettle... yet knowing he will fail yet again. Fool, fool, fool, why did you have to push diplomacy... He prepares another bolt, launching at the creature.
    Spoiler
    Show
    (6d6)[18]
    Marceline Abadeer by Gnomish Wanderer

13. - Top - End - #73

Lonepine
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+5)[20] (1d20+9)[23] (1d20+4)[24] (1d8+5)[12] (1d8+5)[6]

Aldr snaps off a bolt which strikes the creature sharply in the forehead, then Elledan lets three shafts fly that each strike it unerringly. Heath unleashes another blast of lightning at the monster, striking it across the side. Dack continues his brave assault, holding the creature where it is and lashing at it with all of his might. He is buffeted by the eruptions of the creature's substance at each wound.

Spoiler
    Show
    Dack will need to roll to evade Aldr, Elledan, and Heath's attacks...as will anyone who closes to within 1 square (5 ft). Last round I thought it timed so he entered melee after the other attacks.

Dack takes 1/4 of the damage dealt. Reflex DC 15 for half. Evasion applies.
    Rounded up that's...
    14 / 4 = 4
    8 / 4 = 2
    9 / 4 = 3
    6 / 4 = 2
    (18/2) = 9 / 4 = 3

The creature lets out another twisted cry, then bashes Dack with first one fist and then another. The second blow strikes the bold warrior gravely and he feels himself weakening at the touch.

Spoiler
    Show
    Dack can feel some unnatural force affecting him at the touch of the creature...but in the heat of the moment he can't spare the attention to identify it.

Harvest

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+4)[15] (1d20+4)[13] (1d20+4)[16] (1d20+4)[16] (1d20+7)[27] (1d20+7)[17] (1d20+11)[20] (1d100)[97]

Steven Wallace trains his keen sense on his surroundings and listens to the fading of the echoing cries.

Spoiler
    Show
    The cries are like nothing Wallace has heard before. They come from across the valley but he thinks there are a few closer. He guesses six or seven to the south near the path they came down and four or five near Lonepine.

Adele continues on at a swifter pace towards the lights, the others speeding up to match her pace. As the groups rounds an old stone wall overgrown with shrubbery the great tree which grants the village its name comes into full view. A few hastily armed farmhands stand by a large bonfire near the entrance of the village, starting nervously at the sight of the group.

Kai

Beck lets out a snort and steps to the side, turning his attention back to staring out into the falling snow. Bruce eyes Kai oddly, then knocks three times on the town gate and it is opened from within. Passing through the armed militia, Kai makes his way to where he knows the elders will be. Stepping into the warmth of the hall, he finds the assembled elders quietly discussing something amongst themselves. They look up as the young man enters and one of them, an older woman named Kuhn arches an eyebrow, "For what purpose have you come here?"
    Last edited by Kaihaku; 2008-11-07 at 05:45 AM.

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.
    ~Kahlil Gibran

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Kai

"Found a dead messenger from Lonepine in the snow about an hour on foot from here, withered like the victims of the attack on Springfed. Had a letter with him adressed to you." Kai gives Kuhn the letter. If he is asked about the broken seal, he answers "Had to gauge if the content was important."

Kai doesn't know how they will react (he half expects them to berate him for his decision) and if they don't say anything after reading the letter, the young man will leave immediately and make his way to Lonepine.

Spoiler
    Show
    Moves back as fast as possible.
    Last edited by Ridai; 2008-11-07 at 06:28 AM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

Adele - Harvest?

Adele raises her hands in a non threatening manner, moving forwards to show who she is, even as she worries about why the group of farmers is out there. This can't be good- can't be good at all.
    "We're friends! Adele Hawthorn, and a few others from Harvest."
    Considering her extremely social nature, she's hoping they'll recognize her name instantly. She is well known, after all.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Bugbear in the Playground

Steven Wallace - Harvest

Steve aims his bow toward the direction they had come. Rising to his feet he begins to move toward Lonepine. As quickly and carefully as he can backwards through the snow with a notched arrow in his shortbow.

I don't like this, I've never heard such noises. And I have hunted these lands all my life.

He says to himself, just audible enough so those who have not gone too far ahead might hear him.
    Last edited by Feirgon; 2008-11-07 at 03:22 PM.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

Baeln - Harvest

"Calm down, now." Baeln pats on Steven's shoulder firmly.

"Whatever they are, they try and get on your nerves. And you're letting them. Come on." Other than the annoying fact that he blatantly excludes himself from the situation, he sounds partly sincere.

18. - Top - End - #78

Keel, Harvest

"the howling isn't stopping, and we can't stop right now, so there is no point in worrying about it"

19. - Top - End - #79
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Dack - Lonepine

Dack twists and ducks frantically, managing to avoid many of the stinging particles, and continues pummelling the creature.

Spoiler
    Show
    Full Round Attack

To Hit: MainHand1 - (1d20+14)[6](20) Offhand - (1d20+14)[1](15) MainHand2 - (1d20+9)[13](22)

Damage: MainHand1 - (1d8+8)[4](12) Offhand - (1d8+8)[3](11) MainHand2 - (1d8+8)[2](10)

Reflex: MainHand1 - (1d20+9)[17](26) Offhand - (1d20+9)[12](21) MainHand2 - (1d20+9)[18](27)
    (pantone 292)

20. - Top - End - #80
    Orc in the Playground

Default Lonepine

Elledan:

Seeing his arrows find their mark, and the spells and bolts of others, Elledan is hopeful that their enemy will be defeated. He sees the pounding that Dack is taking, and shouts, "Get away from it, you can't stand toe to toe with it for long." Elledan again fires three arrows at the creature, hoping that one will strike it deeply enough in a soft spot to put it down for good.

Spoiler
    Show

Arrow1 - (1d20+15)[20]
    Dmg1 - (1d8+6)[12]
    Arrow1 - (1d20+15)[21]
    Dmg1 - (1d8+6)[9]
    Arrow1 - (1d20+10)[24]
    Dmg1 - (1d8+6)[11]
    GENERATION 14: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.

Current Characters:

21. - Top - End - #81

Kai
    Kuhn takes the letter and her eyes swiftly take in its contents, then she passes it to the other elders and looks at Kai appraisingly, "You broke the seal?

"Had to gauge if the content was important."

Kuhn stares at him for a moment longer, no emotion registering on her face, then she turns away and turns back to the other elders, "Wait here."

Another a lengthy discussion in a language Kai doesn't know, the elders turn back to him.

Kuhn speaks first, "You did well to bring this to us..."

Then the ancient Ithzak interjects in a worn wavering voice, "By breaking the seal you have been cursed. This is powerful magic, we have not the time to counter it now." He tilts his head back a bit, "Come to us when your task is complete, we will prepare to aid you in the meanwhile. Until then do not eat the flesh of warm blooded creatures and do not allow yourself to be touched by healing magic."

Kuhn speaks words in a mystical tongue then lays a hand on Kai, "The spell upon your feet has been renewed." She then pulls a small vial from a pouch at her side and hands it to him, "This potion will bolster your fortitude when you are in need of it. Best of luck to you."

Spoiler
    Show
    Kai acquires a potion of Bear's Endurance (CL 10).

Ithzak nods wearily, "Now go, the hour is late and dark forces are at work."

Harvest
    "Thank the Dragon." One of the farmhands breaths as Adele identifies herself, "You've come and sooner than I'd have thought."

The others relax their guard, lowering their weapons and one even sets his spear aside. Immense relief shows on their faces.

"You'll be wanting to see our defenses."

"I'll get the others!" Volunteers the guard who set his spear aside before running back into the village.

Then another chorus of cries erupts from the surrounding countryside. Steven Wallace notes that a number of them are closer than before.

Lonepine

Aldr snaps off another bolt at the creature, striking it in one broad shoulder. Dack nimbly follows up avoiding another lumbering blow from the creature and hacking at the growing wounds of the strange being. Elledan lets fly a volley of arrows which unerringly strike the creature. Heath, his lightning exhausted, instead unleashes twin rays of flame instead. One goes wide, soaring out into the snowy night. The other just barely strikes the creature, an evil hiss sounding as the flame strikes its form and melts it away. Dack immediately notes that the flame not only direly wounded the creature but consumed its flesh preventing an eruption of biting dust.

Spoiler
    Show
    Creature is weak against flame and flame-modified attacks negate the particle eruption.

The creature turns its burning eyes in the direction of Heath then strikes at the sole obstacle blocking it's advance. Dack, however, manages to avoid each blow. The creature is bespectacled with injuries now, some small and some large.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+9)[16] (1d20+4)[18] [roll]1d8+5[/roll (1d8+5)[12]
    Last edited by Kaihaku; 2008-11-14 at 06:00 AM.

~Kahlil Gibran

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

Inner conflict briefly erupts inside Kai, as he curses himself for not being decisive enough to take action without breaking the seal. But I can't just ignore the others, they couldn't know and neither could I. The latter doesn't really put his mind at rest, but Kai pushes the thoughts aside for now. With a grim face he listens to the Elders, puts the vial in a safe place inside his backpack and thanks them by bowing silently.

Kai starts to run back to Lonepine at the highest speed possible, saying "Be safe." to the three guards at the gate as he passes them.

23. - Top - End - #83

Kai
    Kai makes swift progress gliding over the snow and soon reaches the freezing corpse where he last saw the others in his group. There is no sign of them and the body is once again nearly covered in snow. Without the protection of the orb he finds it difficult to see any great distance.

~Kahlil Gibran

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ettin in the Playground

Heath grins at his luck; the change in attacks worked out well. He readies another blast of heat, stepping back so that he is as far away as possible.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lesse, so ranged touch attack:(1d20+5)[8] and damage: (4d6)[14]... and I just realized I didn't post last time. Coulda sworn I did, and lucky that Kaihaku thought I had used up all my lightning bolts (I actually have 1 left), as I was going to try scorching ray anyways. Oh, and I can only fire 1 ray at a time; "twin rays" come at lvl 7.
    Last edited by Gorgondantess; 2008-11-14 at 08:00 PM.
    Marceline Abadeer by Gnomish Wanderer

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

Damn it, Kai thinks when he sees the corpse still in the snow. Even in its withered state, it's probably too heavy for Kai to maintain his speed, so he memorizes its position and hurries past it towards Lonepine. Hope nothing happened to the others.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

Adele

Adele bites her lip, looking around worriedly, shivering as she hears the cries.
    "What exactly is going on here?"

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

Baeln

"They fear that those 'howlers' or whatever are going to assault the town, obviously."

Baeln meets the farmhand in the eyes and nods.

"Isn't it? ... anyway, show us to your defenses."

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

Fialle

"Are they?" Fialle asks anxiously, drifting a little forwards from the rear of the group and clutching her bow a little more tightly. "Going to attack? Do you have fire?"
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

29. - Top - End - #89
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Dack - Lonepine

Crisscrossed with thin, oozing red stripes, Dack at last falls back, retreating from the creature at a right angle to its path to the others. He sheaths his blades, draws his bow, and takes aim.

Spoiler
    Show
    Full retreat, and if it doesn't pursue, sheathe his weapons (which if I recall can be done as part of a move action), draw his bow. That should be one round. Round after that, full round attack, bearing in mind that if it's within 30ft of me with its back to me I may be getting sneak attack damage.

If it does pursue, I'll have to come up with something else, so I'll wait to make attack rolls until Kaihaku posts.
    Last edited by three08; 2008-11-18 at 09:39 AM. Reason: correct formatting
    (pantone 292)

30. - Top - End - #90
    Orc in the Playground

Default Lonepine Group

Elledan

Elledan sees the creature's reaction to Heath's flame attack and he hurries himself into action. He swiftly sheathes his bow and swings out of his saddle, giving Thunder the command to stay out of the combat, he moves towards Dack, putting himself between the creature and Heath, and he draws his Scimitar and attempts to close the distance to the creature.
    "Hit him with the flame again if you can! He's almost had it now, he can't take too much more, so let's end this now!"

Spoiler
    Show

Assuming the creature is close enough to get to and attack...
    Attack - (1d20+13)[20]
    Confirm - (1d20+13)[19]
    Damage - (1d6+6)[12]
    Critical - (1d6+6)[10]
    Otherwise this will be my action in the next round...

Current Characters: