New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Adventurers' Guild 2: Cap'n Marko and the crew of the Sampo

Dravick:

From his vantage point in the tree Dravick tries to see anything that might indicate a weakness in the goblin caravan. He reports what he sees to Durx and waits to hear what the others want to do. If Durx relays Kate's question about tree climbing he will answer that it's not too hard if you just take your time and concentrate.

Spoiler
    Show

Spot - (1d20+1)[12]
    GENERATION 14: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.

Current Characters:
    Dravick: Human Bard - Adventurer's Guild - Team Badger/Otter

Custom Dravick avatar by Shades of gray.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well Dravick does see anything especially vulnerable. The carts are loaded with large bags [ie large for a bag: a small sized object]. A dozen each in three neat rows of four, can't see what the load is. The goblins gathering firewood will go out on to the edge of the wood and come back and unload sticks on the back of one cart or the other. The could be picked off more easily but they'd be missed pretty quickly especially if they made any kind of noise. It doesn't look like they go any distance into the wood so the others should be OK where they are hiding. Look like they are armed with small spears and morning stars.

The carts draw a little closer.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Do you want to go ahead with the whisper campaign? if so just try the first whisper so I can react.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Dragutin Tadijanovic, Paladin of Garl

"If it will help, I can make some magical light or noise. Not much, you know, but a bit. And, I'm handy with axe or crossbow. You just point me in the right direction and tell me when to go, yah,?" said the gnome paladin, a contented smile on his face as he contemplated the gobin's approaching fate.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Firbolg in the Playground

Allright Dravick'n'Kate, I'm ready t'mess'ge 'way. Try to see oo's in charge.

Once Dravick sees who he thinks the leader is, Durx says in Orcish.

<< Greetings ,This might be quite frightening. Now, you can talk to me through whispering. I want to know what you're transporting, because I have some friends in high places, and those friends can shoot fire from their eyes>>

OOC: IntimidateIfNecessary - (1d20+1)[6] Is there a circumstance modifier to intimidation 'cause it's a voice from nowhere.

Durx is speaking normally here because this is his native tongue.

5. - Top - End - #125

Spoiler
    Show
    The content of this message was moved to the comment below the next comment to make better sense as a narrative.
    Last edited by DavidByron; 2009-01-18 at 08:14 PM.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Orc in the Playground

Dravick:

Dravick takes care to repeat everything that Durx says exactly as he hears it, and when the Goblins speak in response to the message, Dravick repeats everything they say back to Durx, knowing that it might take something away from the intimidation effect, but without knowing the language, Dravick has little other choice. He hopes that Durx can answer in a way that at least adds to the confusion effect. He also nocks an arrow on his bow in case the message from Durx causes the goblins to become a little too suspicious.
    GENERATION 14: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.

Current Characters:

7. - Top - End - #127

The goblin picked is the one with the reigns of the horses on the first cart. It's a pretty arbitrary choice as all the goblins look identical. Same size, weapons, colour -- they even have the same face it seems.

Durx "whispers" at the goblin out of nowhere and the goblin reacts by looking around quickly for the source. The goblin sitting "shotgun" next to him on the cart is obviously not it. He twists around in the cart looking behind him and sharply hits the nearest large bag with his hand.

Goblin with reigns:
    What are you playin' at back there? Boss said you 'ad to shut the 'ell up.

You get the sense there is some reply but the magic of the spell doesn't transmit it.

Goblin with reigns:
    Takes his morningstar out and whacks all three big bags within his arms length at the front end of the cart. "Shuts up the lots of ya. The resistance is s'posed to be round here."

From Dravick's vantage point high up he can see some slight movement in the bags as they are whacked by the morningstar. But it is a brief thing.

Apparently satisfied the driver turns back around and puts up his morningstar.

The goblin speaks in common (not Goblin or Orc) when he reacts to Dravick's whispered message. So Dravick has no trouble understanding what he says.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Right: the Message spell says Dravick picks up to 3 people beyond himself. He's picked a goblin and Durx. When Dravick whispers both the goblin and Durx hear it. When Durx whispers Dravick hears it but not the goblin. And when the goblin says something Dravick but not Durx hears it. So Dravick is the whisper hub.
    Last edited by DavidByron; 2009-01-18 at 08:13 PM.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Orc in the Playground

Dravick:

"Don't bother hitting the bags, I'm not in there. I want you to talk to me now, but not too loudly, people talking to themselves tend to look a bit crazy, you know. Start by telling me what you have in the bags." Dravick whispers in a low growl.

Current Characters:

9. - Top - End - #129

The goblin driving the lead cart once again looks around quickly trying to catch who is whispering to him. The spell produces a sound just like someone standing close and whispering. Again the goblin sees it can't be the other goblin sitting right next to him at the front of the cart.... this time he doesn't turn around to speak to the bags but whispers out of the side of his mouth.

Goblin with reigns:
    You miserable little toad suckers. If I hear one more word out of you lot - whoever it is I am going to come back there and beat the hell outta ya, no matter what the boss said.

If that gives us away and ruins the boss' trap then I'm gonna tell him it was all your faults. Now shut up and stop squirming in there.

If there is any reply you do not hear it.

The two carts, two goblins and 12 bags on each, continue along the path drawing close to where the adventurers are hiding. There appear to be seven goblins on foot, eleven altogether, all armed similarly.
    [hr]

Kate sits close to Dravick up the tree and seems to be keen to stir up some trouble too. "I could start burning some of those bags?" she suggests.
    [hr]

Further back from the road Dragutin is a little out of range of using his Detect Evil ability on the caravan group when they draw parallel. (range is 60' - I think you were about 150' back)

10. - Top - End - #130
    Orc in the Playground

Dravick:

Dravick shakes his head at Kate letting her know not to incinerate the bags. Then he gives her a trademark smile and a wink before replying in a voice just loud enough for her to hear what he is saying. He hopes this gives the dual effect of letting someone else in on the plan and of sounding a bit louder, and hopefully more menacing to the goblin driver.

"You really should listen better. I already told you I'm not in a bag. I am quite ashamed for you. Even for a goblin you are pretty stupid. Now, let me introduce myself more properly. My name is Alaz Amura, and I am keeper of an ancient and powerful flame. My power is like none you have ever seen. Now, I expect you to listen to me carefully as I have chosen you to receive this message. If you choose to ignore my demands again, I will have no choose but to burn you to a crisp and choose a new and hopefully smarter recipient for my message. If you understand me, simply say 'Yes', if you do not understand fully say 'No' and if you say anything else, then know that those words shall be your last."

Dravick takes another page from his training as a bard, and hopes that his combined bluff and intimidation is successful. He glances at Kate as he speaks hoping to see a look of recognition on her face about what Dravick plans for her to do. When he finishes speaking he slides an arrow from his quiver and nocks it on his bowstring, he looks back over his shoulder at Durx, hoping that Durx and the others will be getting ready to either come to support him and Kate or to call off the attack altogether.

Spoiler
    Show
    What others are there? I know Kyte was around but I think he pretty much ditched us at landfall, right? So we've got Kate, Durx, Marko, Dragutin, and Dravick. Did I miss anyone?

Current Characters:

11. - Top - End - #131

It looks like there was a little argument going on down there between the two goblins at the front of the cart just before Dravick speaks. Naturally Dravick only hears one end of the argument, ending with, "what do you mean you didn't hear anything?". Sensing a good theatrical moment Dravick launches his threatening speech.

Goblin with reigns:
    !!!
    Yes.

The goblin starts looking about him suspiciously, up and down the road.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Kate and Dravick up a tree. Kyte off somewhere. Marko, Dragutin, Durx and Althea hidden 150 back from the road.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Orc in the Playground

Dravick:

"Good." Dravick praises the goblin almost condescendingly. "First things first. I want you to look to your left, into the forest. About 50' back. Do you see that slight glint as of light off of metal?" Dravick bluffs, hoping to gain some time. As the goblin looks in the other direction, Dravick silently motions to Durx for the rest of the group to slowly get closer to the road.

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC- I am assuming that we are on the goblins left side of the road, so I'm having him look the other way. If I am wrong and we are on the right, then Dravick will be directing his gaze to the left.
    Also make any necessary rolls for me please.

Current Characters:

13. - Top - End - #133

The goblin with the reigns of the leading cart stops his cart and twists around to look back down the road. Two goblins on foot are walking on either side of the cart and another two walk beside the second cart which is about fifty feet behind the first. The other three goblins on foot are gathering firewood or sticks or something from the forest edge and dumping it on the back end of either cart every now and then.
    Spoiler
    Show
    You are to the goblins' left. You actually typed that you wanted him to look to the left; I assume you meant "right". Also do you want to choose a distance from you to the first cart? Anywhere up to about 350 feet (-35 on Spot) is fine, but Kate's spell has a range of 60 feet. The two carts are about 50 feet apart so you're suggesting he look about opposite the second cart. If you want to change that distance in view of that data that's fine (I don't think it matters precisely, right?)

As the lead cart stops there seems to be some excitement by the other goblins. Once again you only get one side of the conversation.

Goblin with reigns (in common):
    I thought I saw something back there.

The second cart stops too and the two goblins walking beside it start looking and moving in the direction indicated. However all the goblins are a lot more alert and looking about themselves. The goblins who had been gathering wood on the left of the road appear with weapons drawn and head after the other two guards.

Durx is able to see Dravick's motioning.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Orc in the Playground

Dravick:

"Did you see it move? It must know you've seen it. Don't worry about it getting away, but keep your eyes peeled for others like it. If they sneak up on you in sufficient numbers, ..." Dravick lets his voice trail off dramatically.

Spoiler
    Show

This is basically Dravick making up things to take the attention off of his side of the road and to buy some time before making the next move.
    If necessary:
    Bluff - (1d20+4)[14]

Current Characters:

15. - Top - End - #135

Three or four goblins seem to be searching in the trees off the road where Dravick suggested looking, the others remain by the carts looking around suspiciously.

Goblin with reigns:
    Who is this? Who am I talking too?

16. - Top - End - #136
    Orc in the Playground

Dravick:

Dravick speaks coolly and evenly to the goblin. He uses his most reassuring tone to attempt to calm the goblin down.

"Who I am is not important. Why I am contacting you is. My master has sent me to you for three reasons. The first of these, and the most important is news of the war. I will get to that momentarily, I just need to be sure that your friends have scared away the Colombras before I continue. I think there was only the one, but I must check to make sure."

Current Characters:

17. - Top - End - #137

Spoiler
    Show
    sense motive - (1d20-1)[3]Whoa! Abject failure.

Goblin with reigns:
    Look, I don't care about any of that. I got me orders and orders are to take down anyone we see along this road. I don't know who these, "Colombras" are and I don't care unless they're part of the resistance. If you want to talk to someone you can go talk to High Lord Royal Lieutenant Roscoe of Khorinis.

Or de Elf.

... ... {conversation among goblins} ... ...

Some wizard or something is talking to me magically.

... ...

Well I dunno do I?
    Last edited by DavidByron; 2009-01-30 at 08:41 PM.

18. - Top - End - #138

There's a certain amount of indecision among the adventurers and while they are deciding how best to proceed the goblins take the initiative. The goblin driving the second cart takes out a small horn and sounds it off. Immediately all of the sacks, twelve on each cart, start to wriggle and an armed goblin emerges from each. There's a good deal of shouting loud enough to be heard from Dravick and Kate's tree position. The meaning seems clear enough even to those who don't speak Goblin; to arms! attack!

However the two carts are still some way off and they don't appear any the wiser as to the location of Dravick and Kate, let alone the other four members of the group hidden further back from the road.

The goblins on the backs of the carts begin to jump down quickly. There are now about 30 goblins in all stretched out along the road, the nearest still about 200 feet away (far enough they won't be able to hear or see you), the furthes about 300.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Orc in the Playground

Dravick:

Seeing the hoarde of Goblins emerge from the bags caught Dravick a bit by surprise. Well, game's over. he thinks to himself. He ends the spell and says to Kate, "I think we should go now, before they get any closer."

He then drops from the tree as silently as he can and makes his way back towards the group taking great pains not to make any unnecessary noise.

Spoiler
    Show

Tumble - (1d20+4)[7]
    Move Silently - (1d20+8)[17]

Current Characters:

20. - Top - End - #140

Dravick finds getting down trivial enough but he also has to help Kate a little.

Kate:
    Aww. I think we could still have taken them!

The last you see of the goblins reveals the following plan: About a dozen goblins each seem to head off to beat the trees on either side of the road while another seven stay on the road keeping an eye on things up and down. These seven discuss tactics and by chance one is the goblin "on tap".

Goblin:
    double time; got it.

These seven abandon the 2nd cart and move in formation with the front cart. Two driving the horses, two just behind them in the cart and three trailing the cart by inches (basically using the cart as cover).

As Dravick and Kate join with the others he hears:

Goblin:
    Thought I saw something move up ahead, on the left.
    Last edited by DavidByron; 2009-02-07 at 07:29 PM.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Orc in the Playground

Dravick:

Spoiler
    Show

So I take it that Message is [B]not[B] dismissable...

When Dravick gets back to the group he puts a single finger in front of his mouth signaling everyone to stay quiet. He gestures to them that they should move away from the road and keep hidden. There's no way we could withstand an assault from thirty goblins. I hope everyone stays quiet.

Current Characters:

22. - Top - End - #142

Spoiler
    Show
    So I take it that Message is [b]not[b] dismissable...
    Yeah; I thought that was pretty funny.

The group of adventurers moves back from the road and Northward. The forest is not hard to move through but visibility is low. Dravick hears snatches from the goblin for a while but soon they have moved out of the range of the spell. The group continues moving. There is the sound of a horn from somewhere behind them, but it doesn't sound too close. Close enough though. Which direction to head in? There are no path here. The road is vaguely off to the right, the river to the left and somewhere ahead the walled city of Khorinis.

There's a movement to the right.

Kyte:
    Don't shoot.

Accompanying the dour scout is a young man dressed in hunter's clothes (camouflage) carrying a bow. The kid looks a little nervous but is hiding it. He's probably only a year or two younger than some of the adventurers but somehow doesn't seem too "professional".

Kyte:
    That's them.

Kyte walks on in the direction the goblins were last seen. He's brave alright (some might say crazy). And he has good skills. But you wonder if he might be taking on too much. Sometimes Kyte's risks don't work out.

Young man:
    Uh... I'm Benjamin. I'm with the resistance.
    I've always wanted to say that.

Benjamin seems reluctant to say much more though. He asks you all to follow him back to meet his leader. Dragutin senses no evil in the kid and it seems that Kyte must have trusted him so you follow the young hunter, glad to see that he is heading away from the road and the goblins further. It doesn't take long to get to the river bank. There the young man stops and a group of men come out from hiding. There are five of them, three middle aged and two younger. They are armed but they don't act threateningly. The older men look as if they might know what they are doing in a fight.

One of the older men approaches and introduces himself.

Mason:
    Greetings, adventurers from Bridgeport. I'm Mason. I understand you want to get inside the city?

Spoiler
    Show
    Mason being his last name or profession or title not his first name.

23. - Top - End - #143

Marko

Casting a glance at Durx, but unable to repress his gnomish exuberance, Marko said, "Well, yes, as a matter of fact. We've been asked to scout out the city to prepare the way for its eventual liberation. And I do mean eventual. Everything we've heard so far seems to indicate it's going to take a rather large army to overcome the goblins. An army that does not, in fact, exist. At least not yet. Any assistance would be most appreciated, good sir."

24. - Top - End - #144
    Firbolg in the Playground

We r'l'eneed t'get inta the city.

Durx unties his red headband.

25. - Top - End - #145

Mason:
    I can get you inside tonight, over the wall. There's a house we use which is built into the wall. They'll throw down a rope for us. But I'm not sure the goblins are here to hold the city as an army. They seem to be digging.

26. - Top - End - #146

Marko

"Digging? That's certainly odd. In one specific place, or all over the city?" the gnome asked.

27. - Top - End - #147

Mason:
    Just digging in the one place. They're obviously after something.

Well it's actually more complex. There appear to be two factions. One is under the command of that traitor Gates. William Gates -- his family has been the Gate Keepers in Khorinis for a long time. It is a position of trust. He betrayed the city to the goblin army and in exchange they have made him the new Royal Lieutenant. (That's the name for the mayor of the city; like your "Doge" down in Bridgeport.)

Rebel man:
    Curse the name of Bill Gates!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Couldn't resist.

Murmurs of agreement with the sentiment about Bill Gates from the other men in the resistance.

Mason:
    Anyway the Elf seems to be the real leader of the goblin army but a bunch of them take orders from Gates now like they were lent to him. About a hundred I'd say. He has them doing stupid stuff like parading around. We've managed to humiliate him enough that he's been sending out patrols to get us. He must have got smart because this last one was a trap it seems. Hiding two dozen goblins in sacks and making it look like rice delivery guarded by just seven. They are not much of an army; they only have infantry. Lots of goblins. They don't have any artillery, cavalry or missile fire let alone a flying corp. Not even for scouting. No shamans either that I can see. All that stuff's back up at Midford I s'ppose.

Gates also has the half dozen men that remained loyal to him from the guard. But most of them are out an about chasing us or guarding the farmers when they go across the river.

Now the Elf has still got about twenty goblins and eight ogres under his direct command and he has them goblins digging and the ogres as his personal body guard. Probably doesn't trust Gates. Who would trust a turn-coat?

They had the spades when they got here.

So they are pretty thin this army of theirs in Khorinis. But we don't have the means to take them on yet. We'd need weapons. But you can see for yourself. I'll get you inside. They're so busy chasing us around outside the city that there's few left to patrol inside. Just be careful one of Gate's loyal men (I mean the humans that worked with him as gate keepers) doesn't see you because they'd recognise you weren't locals. Khorinis is a small town really, despite it's famous walls, and the gate keepers' job was to know everyone's face and there aren't too many gnomes in Khorinis either.

28. - Top - End - #148

Marko

Marko's features betrayed mixed bemusement and relief. If the man spoke true, the liberation of Khorinis might be accomplished rather sooner than later. His eyes alight with the possibility, he asked, "How many weapons would you need? And how much assistance would you require once you have them? I believe my ship, the Sampo, could bring ashore a decent store of weapons within a fortnight, though we'd have to speed back down river to catch her."

29. - Top - End - #149

Mason seems taken aback at this direct question ("how many weapons?"). His answer seems evasive. You get the impression he's not really had much military experience. At any rate he finally says it will take him a couple of days asking about to try and see what sort of support he can find and who could fight.

That night the rebels lead the adventurers through the wood, over the hill until the group nears the walls of Khorinis. They appear to be similar to the architecture of Bridgeport though on a smaller scale. The rebels signal with a lantern and wait for a response from on the wall. The group then hurries over to the foot of the wall and Mason and the adventurers ascend a rope ladder which they find there.

At the top of the ladder another rebel pulls them up. Mason and his co-conspirator then take the adventurers to a private house not far away. The house seems to be of a good size and well to do. Mason explains that it is the house of his own father, also a mason, but now retired and sympathetic to the cause. His father is away at the moment though, and the house is empty. The adventurers can use it as a base while they're in Khorinis.

However Mason also seems very nervous about the adventurers being spotted about town so he urges them to stay hidden while he asks around about how many people might fight. That night Kate also gets a message from Matthew back at the Adventurers' HQ in Bridgeport warning her that most of team Mongoose are heading to Khorinis to join them and should be arriving at a certain meeting place beyond the hill in a few days.

Although everyone is keen to investigate more of the city for themselves the adventurers agree to Mason's request to keep a low profile for 48 hours and wait for team Mongoose. Althea is chosen to go back over the wall with the rebels in the field, to wait for them and bring them back to Khorinis.

Two days pass. The Otters get to explore the house they are in over this time. It's a large upper middle class sort of place. The home of a wealthy artisan. There are several guest rooms, (although not enough for one each!) and the only rooms that seem off limits are the master bedroom and the study (which is locked). Apparently Mason's father lives alone or if he has servants or help, they are not around while he is gone. The house is built into the wall are of the city and has a number of floors as is the style here. A cellar and three floors as well as an attic. There is little in the way of grounds though; a small garden in the front. There's also a kitchen with a store room, a small library, a dinning room and a music room.

On this night Kate has an idea to try and climb out on to the roof through the attic. There is a ladder she has found there which leads up. "That won't count as going out so we won't be breaking our word to Mason", she says.

Spoiler
    Show
    You didn't actually make a promise per se to Mason to not go out but he seemed agitated and asked you not to.
    Last edited by DavidByron; 2009-02-16 at 01:36 AM.

30. - Top - End - #150

Default merging threads

There is a knocking at the door. It is late. Althea has arrived bringing the reinforcements from Bridgeport.
    Spoiler
    Show
    merging from here:
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...79#post5782279

I'm not exactly sure and I've bee vague about which team Mongoose members came up from Bridgeport so its basically whoever posts here including at the least, Victor, Zan and Sandra and we'll see if Sheila, Amethyst or Eodrick are still posting.