New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Blank Parchment, New Heroes - Adventures!

The Nantir Mountains are known for their inhospitable terrain, their unstable weather, their forests filled with strange, eldritch creatures and their rich veins of rare metals and jewels. Due to this last factor, there are many baronies and kingdoms along the Nantir. Powerhungry lords seeking iron and mithril to equip their armies, mad artificers using the unique metals of the Nantir to create their inventions and mad mages seeking components for wyrd rituals - all settle along the Nantir and battle their neighbors.

Kingdoms and mining towns need supplies, so many caravans come into the Nantir to sell them such supplies. Fewer come out. It is with the caravan of one Taskon Bilerus that some vagabonds and mad adventure-seekers come into the Nantir. The flamboyant Shadar-Kai is wily and knows that guards paying you is a very good thing.

The driving rain had started some hours earlier, and showed no sign of stopping. Taskon Bilerus looks out from the lead wagon of the caravan, watching for any sign of bandits or monsters. It seems quiet, but it is always impossible to tell in the Nantir Mountains.

He turns and walks down to a battered-looking wagon, holding his cloak above his head to keep dry. He fumbles the door open, and steps in, looking at the travelers coming with the caravan. "You have the chance to prove your worth now. Go scout out ahead and make sure that there are no enemies up ahead on the road to Slatetine." Shaking his head, he steps back out and disappears into the driving rain once more.

OOC: I'll admit I railroaded a bit to get you to the start of the adventure, but I tried to leave you plenty of room to explain why you're here. The railroad stops here, everyone off.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Blank Parchment, New Heroes - Adventures!

Aedrus

Aedrus sighs, obviously bored. He misses his warm, dry desert home, rather then the cold, wet countryside. He doesn't complain though.

If I had a single drop of water every time it's rained here, I'd have enough to keep my village alive.

OOC: italics mean thinking. I claim DarkSlateGray for my speech.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Calenethir had assured Taskon that his eyes were the keenest of any of the rabble here and he had elected to ride atop the wagon while keeping watch. The rain didn't bother him. He wasn't too far from home and Nethril was subject to the same chilly, frequent downpour. He'd just decided to tie a bandana over his head to keep the water from rolling into his eyes. His coat is, sensibly, weather resistant and the droplets just rolled off the canvas material.

He slips from his perch and lands with a squish (his heavy boots displace a lot of mud). Then looks his traveling companions for anyone who isn't just a desperate vagabond; anyone who could hold their own in a fight.

"I'm heading out...anyone else?"

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Jerik had been walking alongside the wagon, ignoring the rain. He smiles as Taskon gets out of the wagon. "You've finally got something for us to do? Admit it, you just want us to scout ahead to get me out of your hair."
    Last edited by frogman55; 2008-10-19 at 11:45 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

"Can't say I really blame the good Taskon, I'd be sick of your airs and graces as well if I didn't ignore you habitually." Tenet gives a wink and a short chuckle to let Jerik know he was kidding.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Everyone loves loopy. It's true.
    My blog, if you are interested in my rambling.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Equilibrium slid smoothly out from the wagon, where he had been sitting cross-legged and experimenting with the various uses of magic, modifying well-known spells so that they could carry with the the Raven Queen's Bite and his heritage's birthright.

He hadn't payed much attention to his companions or the goings-on the past few days, but when called to scout, simply stood up to streach, as his writing components, spellbook, and research notebook quickl flew - seemingly of their own volition into his pack as he strode across the room, and he slipped aforementioned pack over his shoulders as it floated up to meet his back.

As he reached out with one hand and his staff smcked solidly into his outstreached palm from aacross the room, the Stygian mage breathed a quick charm to ward the rain from him as he stepped outside to meet his companions for the journey.

"Whats the plan, old friend?" he asks as he glides up behind Tenet, placing a heavy, comforting hand on the escaped indentured servant's shoulder.
    Last edited by Thanatos 51-50; 2008-10-20 at 04:10 AM.
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me
    Red and the Phasmavore by LCP

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

Dorian

Dorian slips on his raincloak, showing especial care around his arm.
    "These conditions are not exactly ideal for my line of work."
    He snorts.
    "You're covering any and every bit of damage on my arm after this is over."
    He hops out of the wagon, carrying his staff with him. Tapping his staff on the solid dirt road, it flickers into light and lets out a healthy bright glow. He begins a steady walk down the road.
    Last edited by Manthus; 2008-10-20 at 06:54 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Tenet

"I'd say we should move up about a mile ahead, keep a steady eye off both sides of the road, maybe have one or two people on the sides of the road just in case. Should be easy enough, Quill." Tenet scratches the stubble around the brand on his cheek while he thinks. "Of course, I'm no military man, if anyone else has expertise they'd like to share...?"

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

The Stygian nods along with Tenet's idea.
    "Sounds solid enough to me, but then - I'm used to being indoors -so I'm not exactly the tactical mind to pick, here." he says as he notes a second mage, tapping his staff on the deck and setting it alight.

With an almost in auddilbe murmur, he prjoects the small illusion of a glowing, disemobodied, and rather cartoony hand in front of the other mage, held up as to signal "Stop".
    Sure enough, Equilibrium's voice can be heard emanating from the the hand in a conversational tone:
    "You may want to wait for the rest of us, friend. Saftey in numbers."

Spoiler
    Show
    Presdignitation for the image - Ghost sound for the words. Assume the glow is soft and unfocused. Its not designed to fool anyone, just raw the other mage's attention.
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

"It's probably not a big deal. With this rain anybody with a bit of sense would be inside. Course, anybody intending to attack isn't going to have any anyway.

Sneaky boy, you wanna take point? We might see them before they see us. Or should I get my clanky rear out ahead and draw them out?
    "

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Tenet

"Ha, well if it weren't raining the way it is right now, your shiny armour would make a fine target. The way it is now though, I'd reckon the rain is enough cover for me. Easy is as easy does. I'm off then, I'll howl at ye if something turns awry." Tenet turns away, moving quietly towards the road ahead.

Edit: Now that is a nice roll to start the campaign with.

Stealth: (1d20+10)[30]
    Last edited by loopy; 2008-10-20 at 09:42 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Jerik waits a few moments for the rogue to get ahead, and sets out behind.

OOC: Do we want a discussion of marching order?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

With a heavy sigh at everyone simply heading out, Equilibrum sinks into the mist and follows shortly behind his fellow Tiefling and a pace to the right.

Spoiler
    Show
    Stealth - (1d20+5)[16]
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

smile Re: Blank Parchment, New Heroes - Adventures!

Merenwen gazed disdainfully at the rain outside of the caravan. However, the other people were moving out, so she didn't see any reason as to why she shouldn't follow. "Wait for me." She soon clambered out of the caravan and headed out after her allies. She caught up as quickly as she could, trying her best not to attract the attention of anything that might be watching...

Spoiler
    Show
    Stealth: (1d20+0)[6]

((OOC: Probably failed miserably))
    Last edited by Dwayna_DF07; 2008-10-20 at 10:31 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15

Aedrus

I shall become the night itself...

OOC: Taking Ten on my stealth check, using my utility power for a total of 18. And since I walked more than 3 this turn I gain concealment due to shadow walk.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Calenethir waited behind politely until the wagon had unloaded of all potential adventurers. The half elf interested him and he trotted along beside her for a ways before chuckling at her ineptitude...before jogging ahead and waving her on.

"Quickly now. Step where I step...keep on your toes." he warns with a bemused smile, then blazes a trail to catch up with the others.

((Take 10 on Stealth, result of 20. Use "Crucial Advice" power to grant Merenwen a stealth reroll with a +2 bonus))

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Merenwen watches the elf very carefully. "I will do my best to do what you have shown me." Feeling slightly more confident in being stealthy, thanks to the elf, Merenwen tries to follow in his steps...

Spoiler
    Show
    Stealth: (1d20+2)[3]

... but fails again. "I simply cannot seem to keep myself following along with your expertise... I guess that's the one downside to being a warrior." She grinned wryly at this comment (still being a noisy twit).

((OOC: I rolled a natural one. >>))
    Last edited by Dwayna_DF07; 2008-10-20 at 11:34 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

As the adventurers walk down the sloping mountain path, black shapes form out of the fog ahead. They approach down the narrow path - mostly human, some halflings and two elven archers in the back - all armed to the teeth.

Two step forward as the rest pull out clubs and light swords. One is a human, grizzled and scarred, carrying a hefty warhammer. The other is a halfling, seemingly unarmed, as fair as his comrade is ugly. He flashes you a winning grin as you approach.

"Good evening! Allow me to introduce myself. I am Ienroyl Warmeye, the owner of this road. Alas, misfortune has fallen upon myself and my comrades here, and I am simply forced to ask for tolls from the travelers hereabouts. A light fee, no more than twenty gold a head plus fifty for any wagons let through.
    However, if you decide to spurn my hospitality, I will be forced to look the other way as Wil here... ah, convinces you to pay the toll plus expenses.
    I'm sure we can come to some form of agreement, here."

Spoiler
    Show
    Here's the map:
    00|a|b|c|d|e|f|g|h|i|j|k|l|m|n|o|p|q|r|s|t|u|v|w|x |y|z|
    01|-| | | | | |M| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
    02|-|-| | | |m|M|M| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
    03|-|-|-|A|D|Q|| |M|M| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
    04|-|-|-|-| |C|J| | |T|M| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
    05|-|-|-|-|-| | | | | | |M| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
    06|-|-|-|-|-| | | | | | | |M| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
    07|-|-|-|-|-| | |I|W| | | | |M| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
    08|-|-|-|-|-| | | | | | |H| |M|M| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
    09|-|-|-|-| |h|h| | | | |H| |M| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
    10|-|-|-|-|-|h|h| | | |H| | |M| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
    11|-|-|-|-|-| | | |H|H| | |H| |M| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
    12|-|-|-|-| | | | |H| | |H| | |M| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
    13|-|-|-|-| | |E| | | |E| | |M|M| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
    14|-|-|-| | | | | | | | | | M| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
    15|-|-| | | | | | | | | | |M|M| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
    16| | | | | | | | | | | | | |M| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
    17| | | | | | | | | | | | |M| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
    18| | | | | | | | | | | | |M|M|M| | |M|M| | | | | | | | | | | | |
    19| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |M|M| | |M| | | | | | | | | | |
    20| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |M| | | | | | | | |
    21| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |M| |M|M|M|M|M| | |
    22| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |M| | | | | | | |
    23| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
    24| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
    25| | | | |F| | | |F| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
    26| | | |F|F|F| |F|F|F| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |

Terrain is as follows: M=Sheer mountain. Impassable Terrain. -= Steep descent into the valley below. Impassable, counts as difficult if a DC 13 Athletics check is made before moving across it. F=the beginnings of a forest past the pass.

Enemies are as follows: I=Ienroyl, W=Wil, h=Halfling minions, H=Human minions, E=Elf archers.
    Ienroyl has AC 16 Fort 13 Ref 15 Will 14.
    Wil has AC 16 Fort 12 Ref 14 Will 12.
    Halflings have AC 16 Fort 12 Ref 14 Will 14.
    Humans have AC 15 Fort 13 Ref 11 Will 11.
    Elves have AC 15 Fort 11 Ref 13 Will 12.

Heroes are as follows: J=Jerik, C=Calenethir, T=Tenet, D=Dorian, Q=Quill, A=Aedrus, m=Morenwen.

Heroes have Init first, followed by the Enemies.

Lastly, Tenet hasn't been seen by the bandits and has Combat Advantage over everyone for his first turn.
    Last edited by Raz_Fox; 2008-10-20 at 02:10 PM.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

19. - Top - End - #19

I do not believe the toll necessary. If you'll excuse us, can you please let us through.

This is less of a request, more of a statement.
    Aedrus conjures a very faint wispy darkness from his hand.

intimidate - (1d20+12)[32]

OOC: Natural 20!
    Last edited by Shades of Gray; 2008-10-20 at 02:19 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

*Jerik advances slowly to stand beside the halfling (moves to 7g). As he walks Jerik (not touching his sword at all, or even looking like he's thinking about it) holds out his belt pouch."

"I apologize for my tempered friend. You know what elves are like. This should cover most of us, we'll go back to the wagons for the rest."

Jerik tosses the belt pouch (filled with shiny quartz rocks he has been picking up along the trail) softly towards the group of halflings in front of him.

Bluff roll:

(d20+4)[8]

ooc: crap, I was writing while you posted.
    Last edited by frogman55; 2008-10-20 at 02:24 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Here's the map:
    00|a|b|c|d|e|f|g|h|i|j|k|l|m|n|o|p|q|r|s|t|u|v|w| | |z
    01|-| | | | | |M| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
    02|-|-| | | |m|M|M| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
    03|-|-|-|A|D|Q| | |M|M| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
    04|-|-|-|-| |C|J| | |T|M| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
    05|-|-|-|-|-| | | | | | |M| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
    06|-|-|-|-|-| | | | | | | |M| | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
    07|-|-|-|-|-| | |I|W| | | | |M| | | | | | | | | | | | | |
    08|-|-|-|-|-| | | | | | |H| |M|M| | | | | | | | | | | | |
    09|-|-|-|-| |h|h| | | | |H| |M| | | | | | | | | | | | | |
    10|-|-|-|-|-|h|h| | | |H| | |M| | | | | | | | | | | | | |
    11|-|-|-|-|-| | | |H|H| | |H| |M| | | | | | | | | | | | |
    12|-|-|-|-| | | | |H| | |H| | |M| | | | | | | | | | | | |
    13|-|-|-|-| | |E| | | |E| | |M|M| | | | | | | | | | | | |
    14|-|-|-| | | | | | | | | |M| | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
    15|-|-| | | | | | | | | | |M|M| | | | | | | | | | | | | |
    16| | | | | | | | | | | | | |M| | | | | | | | | | | | | |
    17| | | | | | | | | | | | |M| | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
    18| | | | | | | | | | | | |M|M|M| | |M|M| | | | | | | | |
    19| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |M|M| | |M| | | | | | |
    20| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |M| | | | |
    21| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |M| |M|M|M|
    22| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |M| | | |
    23| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
    24| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
    25| | | | |F| | | |F| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
    26| | | |F|F|F| |F|F|F| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |

Terrain is as follows: M=Sheer mountain. Impassable Terrain. -= Steep descent into the valley below. Impassable, counts as difficult if a DC 13 Athletics check is made before moving across it. F=the beginnings of a forest past the pass.

Enemies are as follows: I=Ienroyl, W=Wil, h=Halfling minions, H=Human minions, E=Elf archers.

Heroes are as follows: J=Jerik, C=Calenethir, T=Tenet, D=Dorian, Q=Quill, A=Aedrus, m=Morenwen.

Heroes have Init first, followed by the Enemies.

Lastly, Tenet hasn't been seen by the bandits and has Combat Advantage over everyone for his first turn.

(Excuse me a moment while I help Raz get this formated...)
    (And there we go...Blue for Allies, Red for Enemies, Orange for enemy minions. Gotta use Courier New for maps to get the grid aligned)
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2008-10-20 at 02:43 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Equilibrium taps the deck with his quarterstaff, grinningly wryly as he does so.
    "Funny - you say this is your road? You don't seem to be performing much upkeep. I mean, a wagon could, theoretically travel over it. The common assumption is that to extract a price for something, there is a service offered."
    As he speaks, Equilibrium presdignates an illusion of a small,venomous spider at his feet which he crushes seemingly absent-mindedly.
    He then stands at a kind of modified, relaxed stance, feet shoulder width apart, base of the staff on the deck, witht he tip leaning foward, and looking at those in charge.

He seems to be humming abesent-mindedly to himself, where he is, in fact, saying a quick incantation to presdignitate the optical illusion that to quartz stones are, in fact, made of gold.

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy - (1d20+8)[9]
    Arcanafor Illusions - (1d20+10)[11]

EDIT: OOC: Ouch. Natural one on both checks! Ray of Frost is ready to blast Will in the face should hostilities break out.
    Last edited by Thanatos 51-50; 2008-10-20 at 02:40 PM.
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

P.S. Jerik used his move action, he now readies a standard action to grab the halfling, action triggers as soon as hostilities break out. I'll roll then.
    Last edited by frogman55; 2008-10-20 at 02:39 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24

This is going nowhere.

Aedrus lifts one hand up and point to the halfling.

Blight of the lands... I invoke, Contagion!

Darkness surrounds the bewildered halfling. It seems into his pores, he gains a pale expression.

OOC:

vsWill - (1d20+6)[25]

Move Action: Converted To Minor Action, Draw Rod
    Minor Action: Curse The Halfling
    Standard Action: Contagion on the Halfling.
    Last edited by Shades of Gray; 2008-10-20 at 04:07 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

Triggered after the contagion:

Grab the halfling:
    Str v. reflex
    (d20+3)[19]

On hit: Enemy is immobilized until escapes (can escape on his turn).
    Last edited by frogman55; 2008-10-20 at 03:06 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

"Since we must get violent," Equilibrium says with a hint of disdain in his voice...
    "Don't go anywhere!"

The Stygian points the tip of his staff towards Wil as a blue-white ray lances out and strikes Wil square in the chest.
    "The Raven Queen shall claim you."

Spoiler
    Show
    vsFORT - (1d20+6)[23]
    Cold - (1d6+5)[10]
    Wil takes 10 cold damage and is SLOW until the begining of my next turn. His movement speed is now 2.
    Last edited by Thanatos 51-50; 2008-10-20 at 05:07 PM.
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Calen spits out a curse in Elven...an ancient one regarding the Drow. Playtime was over, everyone else was getting ready to draw blood and it was time to mitigate the damage. He sets his eyes on the nearest elven archer and makes a mental note to take care of him as soon as possible; for now he lacked a clean shot.

Calen steps forward, rips his gun from the holster and two shots ring out half a second apart.

(Calen shifts to E-4, designates the archer at G-13 as his quarry, uses Twin Strike to attack the halflings at F-9 and G-9. Drawing a weapon is Free for him)

F-9
    (1d20+9)[17]

G-9
    (1d20+9)[16]

Both the halfling thugs yowl in pain with incapacitating wounds to their right shoulders then drop on the spot.

Spoiler
    Show
    Here's the map:
    04|-|-|-|-|C| | | | |T|M| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
    07|-|-|-|-|-| |J|I|W| | | | |M| | | | | | | | | | | | | |
    09|-|-|-|-| | | | | | | |H| |M| | | | | | | | | | | | | |

Calen: AC 18, Fort 13, Ref 16, Will 13. (HP 30/30)
    Ienroyl is Grappled.
    Wil is Slowed
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2008-10-20 at 03:51 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Merenwen pops her eyebrows at the small speech given by the halfling known as Ienroyl. "You claim that you need these funds and that you want to give us hospitality, yet you threaten us if we refuse?" She moves up to beside the halfling to be better heard. "I'm afraid that doesn't make much sense to me. For Kord and country!" She brings her blade swooshing down to try to strike a blow...

Spoiler
    Show
    Roll to Hit: (1d20+4)[8]
    Damage: (1d8+3)[5]

... and misses. "I'm not having the best of luck today, it seems."

((OOC: I didn't notice that he had been grappled... is this move still possible?))
    Last edited by Dwayna_DF07; 2008-10-20 at 03:48 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

Minor correction: I moved to seven g:

Spoiler
    Show

Here's the map:

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

((Then that would mean I moved to his front.))

Spoiler
    Show

Here's the map:
    02|-|-| | | | |M|M| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
    06|-|-|-|-|-| | |m| | | | |M| | | | | | | | | | | | | | |

((Either way, I missed.))
    Last edited by Dwayna_DF07; 2008-10-20 at 03:55 PM.